Jump to content
    jkwsquirrel
  • Author
  • 3,017 Words
  • 1,943 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aiden's War - 2. Seniority

Every scar has a story.

My back has a couple of them. They’re reminders of what ignorance combined with power can do. The scars were the only gifts I could remember my father ever giving me.

There was this kid at school, his name was Dustin. On his wrists were some gnarly scars that had to have had quite a story. It certainly looked like he’d given those scars to himself. But why? Why would someone do something like that to themselves? The mystery was very attractive to a loser like me. I’d never be mysterious.

Dustin Smith was a riddle wrapped in an enigma, as the saying goes. I’d have loved to figure out what had happened in his life that had so tortured him that he saw cutting his wrists all up as the best possible solution. I’d have loved to talk to him, discover the sensitive soul I just knew was hiding in there behind the tough exterior. I could sense that he was a kindred spirit, and yet, there was an element of danger about him as well. I just wanted to have one conversation with him. I wanted to get close - like a moth to a flame. Just one problem with that…

“Hey jagoff! Watch where the fuck you’re walking!”

“Sorry Roberts!” I cried. I’d been so busy admiring the tall handsome redheaded young man with the tough guy scars walking next to him that I’d run right into my worst nightmare once again. I swear! How on earth did Billy Roberts manage to surround himself with such awesome people to be friends with? How could they put up with him?

“I swear, the kids around here are getting more annoying by the day,” Roberts said as Dustin walked along with him down the hall. “I can’t wait to get out of here.”

I sighed. Look at them – two six foot tall seniors. They had no worries. They didn’t have to worry about anything. They didn’t even look back at the scrawny tenth grade dork they’d left in their wake. Did Billy Roberts ever worry about anything in his life? Who would possibly stand up to someone who could be so quick with his insults and sarcastic wit? He could destroy somebody with just his mouth, and it would happen so fast they wouldn’t even know what happened to them. He was a certified genius, genuine math wizard, undefeated poker champion, team statistician for just about every guys’ sport that kept a score, and there were rumors he could retell the stats from any baseball game he’d ever watched. There was something odd about him, like he was too smart for his own good or something. I certainly wouldn’t describe the guy as popular, but somehow he was always surrounded by popular people. He was always hanging out with someone like Dustin Smith, or Brett Reilly, or Bobby Rush the school’s superstar athlete. To be so smart and be one of the hottest boys in school? And then to have such a nice guy like Reilly as your boyfriend? It wasn’t fair! I hated his stinking guts, and he didn’t even bother to know my name.

Anyway, there was no getting to Dustin without going through Billy Roberts. There were rumors going around school about Dustin too. He was a legend on the baseball field. He’d won the batting title for the whole district as a freshman. And everyone knew the numbers were accurate because that goddamn Billy Roberts was the team statistician. And then in his sophomore year it all fell apart. He turned goth or something and then he disappeared from school when he was in tenth grade. When he came back, he was all clean cut and straightened out, with the only indication that something had gone horribly wrong in his life being the scars on his wrists. There was always something about him, like a haunted look in his eyes. I knew that look. I’d seen it in the mirror looking back at me. It was the look of a kid who’d been through too much and didn’t know what to do with it all.

There were other rumors too. These were rumors that were so obscene and dark that they were only whispered in the deepest, darkest places. These rumors were even darker than the rumors about his father abusing him. Rumors so shocking that I barely believed they could be true – rumors of a secret life, a life of such dirty and illicit activities that they couldn’t possibly be real. Rumors about a park - and gay sex for money.

Like I said, they couldn’t possibly be true. Someone like Dustin Smith, star athlete, getting caught up in a gay prostitution scandal? No way! But then… He did disappear for a year. Maybe he’d gone to juvenile hall or something? It was all so mysterious. I wanted to know more.

I was still thinking about Dustin Smith as my class finished up gym class. I managed to avoid being persecuted for a change and it was an uneventful class. I even managed to get changed from my gym clothes to my school clothes without being messed with. That was the good and bad thing about being the ‘special one’ like my mom talked about – you never knew when some jerk would get a burr up his behind about something and decide to smear a queer. I was thankful for the reprieve, because my school lunch hadn’t quite agreed with me and I ended up spending some time on the toilet using it for the purpose it was originally intended.

As I sat there, I looked at the graffiti on the door in front of me. It was the usual high school garbage, but then I noticed the latest addition.

“Aidan has AIDS”

“At least get my name right,” I sighed. As I finished up, I could hear the senior boys begin filling the locker room. I finished up my business and hoped to quietly sneak out. Unfortunately, my gym bag was right in the middle of Roberts and Dustin.

“Whose crap is this?” a shirtless Billy asked.

“It’s mine…” I said softly. I could barely contain myself enough to answer. Right next to Billy, Dustin Smith had removed his shirt and his pants and he was standing there in just his underwear! My god! It was like looking at a sculpture! He was amazing! I mean, he was a little thinner than I’d expected him to be under his clothes, like he’d never been properly fed, but still… I’d never seen something so beautiful in my life. His briefs did little to hide the huge bulge he had between his legs. Wow! I wanted to just drop to my knees right there in front of everyone and experience that beast for myself. And yeah, while we’re at it, Billy was breath-taking without his shirt on too. His chest and belly were naturally smooth. He was slender and not too muscular, but he was fit and looked to be in very good shape. I was disappointed. I guess I wanted him to be gangly and covered with acne or something. That was the first time I ever noticed the insulin pump. It barely registered with me that the Billy Roberts beneath his clothes had a different story than the one I’d built around the guy. Being diabetic must have sucked. I almost felt sorry for him, but then he opened his big stupid mouth.

“Dude, don’t you have class or something?” Billy asked, shaking me from my fantasies.

“Y… Yeah…” I said. I could feel my dick lurch in my pants.

“Then… maybe you should quit staring at us like a creep and go,” Billy suggested.

“Yeah… Sorry…” I said meekly. I grabbed my bag and kept my eyes glued to the floor as I fled the locker room as more and more senior boys began exposing way too much male flesh. At the door I bumped into Brett Reilly, running late as usual.

“Whoa, watch where you’re going Aiden,” he laughed.

“Sorry…” I replied.

“Hey, don’t forget, the Alliance meeting is today in Miss Winston’s room.”

“I know,” I replied. I raced to Mr. Hartley’s class and made it just in the nick of time. I must confess, I have no idea what we talked about in that class because I was thinking of nothing but Dustin Smith and what I’d seen of him in that locker room. I didn’t know if I was going to make it home before I had to relieve the tension which had built up in my pants.

It was all a fantasy though, and nothing more. I would never get any closer to that guy than I had in that locker room.

The school day ended with extra-curricular time once a week on Thursdays. All the various clubs could meet during that time. Mr. Hartley’s classroom would play host to the chess club. Some clubs only met once a month, like the LGBTQ Alliance which met in Miss Winston’s room. The club was a so-called “safe space” where people like me could get together for some support. Everyone knew Miss Winston was in a long-term relationship with her “roommate,” even though they never officially revealed they were a couple. I felt sorry for them. They grew up a generation too soon. They weren’t cowards like Billy Roberts, who had no reason to hide who he was. They just grew up in an era when they couldn’t truly exist as they were meant to be because of people’s hatred for things they didn’t understand. I’d been reluctant to come to my first meeting. Not because of being labeled a queer, because god knows that ship had sailed by the time I hit puberty. No, I was afraid it would be some kind of hook-up thing. But it wasn’t that at all. It was very well organized and super supportive. It was nice to be able to sit down with people who understood what it was like to be queer in our school. It was the one place where I truly felt like I belonged.

Doug Sanders was our president, and he started the meeting precisely on schedule. We all knew our vice president, Brett Reilly, would be late. He was never on time for anything, and he didn’t disappoint us. He always sat on Miss Winston’s desk. He was the person in the club I respected the most. Even though everyone knew he and Billy were a couple, Brett never said anything about their relationship until Billy came out. I admired the respect he had for his boyfriend, even while I thought Billy was a no-good coward who didn’t deserve respect for putting Brett in that position.

“Aiden,” Doug said, “You have a little trouble yesterday in the locker room?”

“Nothing I can’t handle,” I replied.

“What happened?” Reilly asked.

“If Aiden isn’t comfortable talking about it, I’d rather…”

“No it’s cool,” I said. “Couple of guys thought it’d be funny to stick my head in the toilet.”

“Dude, not cool!” Reilly exclaimed. “Who were these fuckers?”

“Language, Mr. Reilly,” Miss Winston rebuked.

“Sorry, Miss Winston,” Reilly replied. “Who were these assholes?” Miss Winston just shook her head.

“Guys, it’s nothing…”

“Yes it is something,” Reilly replied. “Dude, these guys weren’t just fucking around with you. You could have been hurt, or worse! I know reporting these idiots won’t do shit in this school, but you can talk to us. There are ways of dealing with these dickheads that won’t involve anybody getting in trouble with the principal.”

“Mr. Reilly,” Miss Winston said. “I’m going to pretend I didn’t hear you threaten your fellow students and remind all of you that this is supposed to be a safe space for everyone, even people who don’t understand or agree with us. What Aiden has experienced is bullying at its worst and I will see to it that something is done, but we can’t allow this Alliance to become a place where others are threatened, even if they’ve threatened and bullied you. You can’t return violence for more violence. That won’t solve anything. It won’t change hearts and minds.”

“And what is the ‘something’ you’re going to do?” Reilly asked.

“That’s none of your concern Mr. Reilly.”

Reilly scoffed and turned to me. “Dude, see me after school. I’ll take care of it.”

After the meeting ended and it was time to go to our buses, Reilly grabbed me by the arm and kept me in the room while everyone else left.

“What’s this asshole’s name?” he asked.

“Look… I appreciate you wanting to help, but it’s really okay.”

“Don’t defend this prick. If one of us is being bullied all of us are. He might as well have stuffed my head in the toilet with you. Now who is it?”

“He’s not a bully… He’s scared! He apologized to me. He’s afraid I’m going to rat him out.”

Reilly squinted his eyes at me. “You fuck him or something?”

“Not exactly,” I replied.

Reilly sighed. “Closet case, huh? Well, I know a thing or two about dealing with those. Look, just tell me the kid’s name. I’m not going to hurt him. I might not even talk to him.”

“T… Tyler…”

“The Bowden kid?” Reilly laughed.

“Bowman… Yeah, how’d you know?”

“Who does he think he’s fooling?” Reilly laughed. “Dude, don’t worry. I’ll talk with him.”

“You’re not gonna hurt him?”

Reilly laughed even more. “Do you like having your head stuck in a toilet?”

“No, but…”

“Do you want it to stop?”

“Yeah, but he’s…”

“Then leave it to me. Trust me, okay?”

“What are you going to do to him?”

“I have my ways,” Reilly replied. “You better get to your bus, Jackson.”

“Okay…” I started to walk away but then I stopped. This might be my one chance to be alone with Reilly. “One thing though…”

“Shoot,” Reilly replied.

“It’s just… Well… You and Billy…”

“Go on.”

There were so many questions I had about the two of them, but I only had time for one. “Why did you let him keep it a secret for so long?” I asked.

Reilly smiled. “Why’d you want to protect Tyler Bowman for so long?”

“I don’t want him to get hurt,” I replied.

“There’s your answer,” Reilly replied, as serious as I’d ever seen him. “When you love somebody, you’d do anything to keep them safe, even if it’s something you don’t want to do. I didn’t want to keep it a secret, but Billy needed me to do it, so I did because I love him.”

“I don’t love Tyler,” I insisted. “I just don’t want to see him get hurt.”

Reilly just smiled. “Better go catch your bus, Jackson. Don’t worry, I’ll take care of Tyler.”

I just barely made it to the bus in time to get a ride home. It wasn’t a long trip, but it wasn’t one I wanted to try walking. Our school was created out of a merger of a couple of smaller schools around the Monongahela valley. Most of the kids were from middle class families like mine. I lived in a little hamlet called Monongahela, named after the dirty green and brownish colored river that flowed through our town and north toward Pittsburgh where it merged with the Allegheny to form the Ohio River. There were the poor kids, they mostly came from Donora. There was something of a rivalry between the Donora kids and the Monongahela kids, since we started in separate elementary schools in our own towns and didn’t merge together until junior high school. Mon City kids tended to look at Donora kids as poor white river rat trash types, and Donora kids looked at Mon City kids as stuck up jerks. Both conceptions had a little bit of truth and a little bit of ignorance to them. Take Reilly, for instance. He was a Donora kid, but he was probably one of the richest kids in school. He didn’t act like it though.

Once I got home, I got to work on my homework after I took care of a little personal business involving some hand lotion, a couple of tissues, and visions of Dustin Smith. I felt a lot better afterward! Miss Winston and Mr. Hartley always gave the toughest homework assignments, but I finished with enough time to enjoy some television before mom got home from work.

“You have a nice day at school today?” she asked.

“Yeah. Hey, I want to apologize for the way I acted yesterday. I didn’t mean to act like such a jerk to you.”

“It’s okay,” mom replied. “You’re at the age where raging at your parents is the expected default setting.”

“I don’t mean to act like a douchebag.”

“I know. You’ll get control of yourself with time. You’re already on your way. Remember when you told me you were gay?”

“Ugh, don’t remind me!” I laughed.

“You thought I was going to be so angry with you, you had it all built up in your head how everything was going to go. You were yelling at me for not accepting you for who you were before you even told me you were gay,” mom laughed. “And all along I already knew you were gay and had accepted it a long time ago.”

“God, I was such a drama queen!” I said, rolling my eyes.

“Was?” mom replied.

“I only yell at people who deserve it now,” I protested.

“If you say so,” mom teased me. “I hope today was a better day at school.”

“It was,” I replied. “We had our Alliance meeting today. I don’t know what I’d do without them. I’d be lost.”

Mom smiled and pulled me closer to her so that I could lean against her as we watched television together. I felt safe as she put her arm around my shoulders and held me close to her.

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed it! I'd love to know what you thought, and if you can leave a comment I'd really appreciate it!
What will happen now that Brett has taken an interest in "helping" Aiden with his Tyler problem?
Next time - Cutting Class
Copyright © 2019 jkwsquirrel; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well, my disdain for Aiden lessened in this one. He wasn't a horrid little brat. I'm glad Brett is kinda like a mentor to him, let's hope Brett rubs off on him

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

It’s so funny reading this from Aiden’s point-of-view.  There’s someone who actually thinks Billy Roberts is cool, or something like that.  Also we knew Billy was a jerk so much of the time, but it’s weird to think he was someone’s Joey.  Of course knowing Billy as we do, we realize a lot of that is just his total lack of understanding human interaction. Still, I found myself cracking up reading this chapter.  Billy is such a complex personality and it’s easy to look at him from the outside and think things without getting it. 
 

Brett was also cracking me up.  The kid is such a dingbat for all his good intentions.  Will he help or inadvertently hurt Aiden?  Of course Aiden losing this Tyler person might not be the worst thing.  Kid needs to respect himself better.

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:47 PM, droughtquake said:

Yay, Dustin! I always wanted to hug him and protect him. And his red hair certainly didn’t hurt.
;–)

And now we'll get to a side of him that Billy never saw.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:49 PM, Wesley8890 said:

Well, my disdain for Aiden lessened in this one. He wasn't a horrid little brat. I'm glad Brett is kinda like a mentor to him, let's hope Brett rubs off on him

Aiden's just trying to navigate his way through tenth grade, looking for someone to fill the void left by his father.  "Big brother" Brett has a heart for losers.  He collects them like pets.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:37 AM, mfa607 said:

Great chapter!  Somehow I'm thinking this is not going to bode well for Aiden....Thanks!

There must be trouble coming or it wouldn't be a WAR story, right?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, spikey582 said:

It’s so funny reading this from Aiden’s point-of-view.  There’s someone who actually thinks Billy Roberts is cool, or something like that.  Also we knew Billy was a jerk so much of the time, but it’s weird to think he was someone’s Joey.  Of course knowing Billy as we do, we realize a lot of that is just his total lack of understanding human interaction. Still, I found myself cracking up reading this chapter.  Billy is such a complex personality and it’s easy to look at him from the outside and think things without getting it. 
 

Brett was also cracking me up.  The kid is such a dingbat for all his good intentions.  Will he help or inadvertently hurt Aiden?  Of course Aiden losing this Tyler person might not be the worst thing.  Kid needs to respect himself better.

 

The appeal of writing this story in territory we've already been through was seeing Billy and the other boys through the eyes of someone who wasn't part of his circle.  This entire story is taking place all around Billy and he's oblivious to it. From the outside, Billy's an egotistical jerk.  Only the people who know him know he's a jerk with a heart of gold.    Seeing Brett in the role of big brother just seems natural to me.  He's still a doofus, of course!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

@akuhata, you might want to check out the Topic on this series:

Of course, it’s better to have read the other books in the W.A.R. series first because there are a few spoilers, mostly guesses as to the direction the story would be taking…

If you haven’t read the other books yet, they focus on Billy (William Aaron Roberts, in other words, W.A.R.).
;–)

Link to comment

Thanks for another great chapter. Awww, Aidens' got it bad for Dusty and who can blame him. Hehe Brett is on a mission,  Tyler should be cringing already, this could be fun.  Looking forward to more of Aidens' story.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Of course, it’s better to have read the other books in the W.A.R. series first because there are a few spoilers, mostly guesses as to the direction the story would be taking…

If you read the end of Commencement and the beginning of Dustin's World you know where this one is headed.  CRASH!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, akuhata said:

Thanks for another great chapter. Awww, Aidens' got it bad for Dusty and who can blame him. Hehe Brett is on a mission,  Tyler should be cringing already, this could be fun.  Looking forward to more of Aidens' story.

The great thing about Brett is that he's always enthusiastic about what he's interested in, at least for a while.  He's also easily distracted, so he may forget the whole thing by the next morning!  Aiden and Dustin - Maybe Aiden should remember the old saying "Be careful what you wish for," perhaps?

  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, jkwsquirrel said:

The great thing about Brett is that he's always enthusiastic about what he's interested in, at least for a while.  He's also easily distracted, so he may forget the whole thing by the next morning!  Aiden and Dustin - Maybe Aiden should remember the old saying "Be careful what you wish for," perhaps?

Yes, this is Dustin WAY before he was ready for anything remotely resembling an actual relationship.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

yes so glad to hear more of Dustin. I cried through most of his story. The shit that poor child went through, I just hope he doesn't turn out to be a bully now and remembers what he went through. What I love most about these stories is they covers cities I know about. I live 70 miles North of Pittsburgh in the dying city of Oil City. Another exciting chapter, well done.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 9:37 PM, James B. said:

yes so glad to hear more of Dustin. I cried through most of his story. The shit that poor child went through, I just hope he doesn't turn out to be a bully now and remembers what he went through. What I love most about these stories is they covers cities I know about. I live 70 miles North of Pittsburgh in the dying city of Oil City. Another exciting chapter, well done.

I'm familiar with Oil City.  I've even been there once.  Always fun to see some place you know about mentioned in a work of fiction!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, jkwsquirrel said:

I'm familiar with Oil City.  I've even been there once.  Always fun to see some place you know about mentioned in a work of fiction!

That's why I enjoy the WAR stories.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 1/18/2020 at 6:37 PM, James B. said:

Oil City

I’m only familiar with the name because it’s a location in an old computer railroad game…
;–)

Link to comment
23 hours ago, noahthesmallpotato said:

Jeez, Billy. Chill the f*ck out!

Or should I say, Jeff chill. Don't make me hate Billy. That's never gonna happen. Hahahaha!

He's the hero of another story!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..