Jump to content
    jkwsquirrel
  • Author
  • 3,587 Words
  • 4,480 Views
  • 47 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

String - 4. Ricochet

We had a week off after band camp. Danny and I texted a little bit, but neither one of us called the other or suggested getting together. Usually, one of us would be suggesting that we get together at one of our houses. I just spent a lot of time practicing my trombone, memorizing my music. No matter what I was doing, my thoughts always returned to that moment I’d said “go for it.” Did I regret it? Not really. It felt good at the time. But there was definitely something different between Danny and me after that night that didn’t feel right. It was as if we’d gotten too close and bounced off of each other in opposite directions.

“I just need time to think,” Danny texted me. “Every time I think about what happened, I feel different about it.”

“I know,” I replied. “It got way too intense.”

It was about five minutes before Danny texted back. “Yeah,” was his only reply.

I put my phone down and went back to practicing. It was like I was trying to work out my feelings through the music. I was starting to understand why Mr. Reilly started every morning at that piano in the choir room.

Mom came home from work and started getting dinner ready for us.

“No Danny this week?” she asked as we sat at the dinner table together.

“We just spent all last week together,” I replied.

“That’s usually not enough for you,” mom suggested.

“Can I go to dad’s this weekend?” I asked.

Mom looked at me suspiciously. “What’s going on? Ever since you came back from band camp you’ve been acting moody.”

“I’m just tired,” I replied. “You wouldn’t understand.”

“I wouldn’t understand being tired?” mom asked.

“No… You wouldn’t… Oh never mind.”

“Your father gets you next weekend,” mom said.

“You could switch with him,” I suggested.

“And what makes you think he’s not going to be busy this weekend? You know, we plan our lives around who has you for that weekend.”

“I just need to get away for a while,” I said.

“What’s this about Jacob? You can tell me.”

“No. I can’t,” I replied. “I don’t even know if I can describe it myself.”

Mom sighed. “It’s alright with me, but you have to be the one who calls him.”

Right after dinner I called dad.

“Everything all right?” he asked.

“Can I come over this weekend? Mom says it’s okay.”

Dad was quiet for a moment. “Jake… I’m going out of town this weekend. I’m sorry.”

“Couldn’t you reschedule?” I asked.

“No… Jake, I can’t just drop everything because…”

“No no… I… I understand…” I said, trying desperately to keep myself together.

“Jake, we’ll do something really fun next weekend for your birthday, I promise, buddy. Okay?”

“Okay…” I said. I hung up and put my phone down. I brushed my eyes with the back of my hand and sighed. I returned to the kitchen where mom was washing the dishes.

“Well?” she asked.

I just shook my head.

“I tried to tell you…”

“What the fuck is wrong with this fucking family?!?!” I snapped. “Why couldn’t you two have just gotten along for a few more years instead of being a bunch of selfish jerks?!?!”

“Jacob…”

“Shut up! I hate you!” I stormed off to my room and slammed the door. I literally have no idea why I went off on her like that. I guess it was because she was there for me to yell at.

“Come on Jake… Keep it together…” I said to myself. I lay there on my bed looking at the ceiling. Then I started to hear my mom yelling. I assumed she’d called my dad to ask him what the hell he’d done to me. That wasn’t what I’d wanted at all. I turned over and buried my head in my pillow and cried for the first time since the divorce. I mean, I’d shed a tear here and there, but I hadn’t really cried about anything since then. Once I got that out of my system, I reached for my phone and texted Danny.

“Please let me come over this weekend,” I texted.

The silence of waiting was unbearable. After about five minutes, my phone buzzed.

“I’m sorry, we’re going to be busy,” Danny texted. “Another time maybe?”

I threw my phone on the bed and it bounced off and landed on the floor. I didn’t even care if I broke it. I opened my bedroom door, pulled on my sneakers, and headed for the door.

“Where are you going?” mom asked.

“Out!” I snapped at her. I slammed the door behind me and walked down the street to the corner. I walked down to the next street and looked around. Mon City wasn’t that big of a place. I could probably jog to the end of town and back in no time at all, so that’s what I did. I ran and ran and ran until I couldn’t run anymore. My legs just wouldn’t go any further. Of course, I was at the furthest end of town when that happened so I had to walk home. I wished I hadn’t tossed my phone away. It was almost dark when I finally trudged my exhausted body up the porch steps. I didn’t go inside, I just sat there on my front steps.

After about five minutes, mom came out and sat next to me. She didn’t say anything, she just sat with me.

“I’m sorry I flipped out,” I said.

“I know you are,” mom replied. “I know you’re going through a lot. I wish I could help you.”

“You can,” I said. “Just don’t give up on me, okay?”

Mom put her arm around me and pulled me close. “Never,” she said.

I was so beat after everything I think I was asleep before my head hit the pillow. It took me forever to find my phone in the morning when my alarm went off. I eventually found it on the floor where it had bounced after I’d tossed it.

I’d missed a call from my dad and texts from Danny while I’d been off running. Danny had also called my phone three times but didn’t leave a message. I listened to dad’s voicemail first.

“Hey, buddy. I’m really sorry about this weekend. Your mom says you’re really upset about it. I wish I could switch things around for you, but I really can’t. I hope you understand. I promise we’ll do something really fun next weekend for your birthday. I love you, buddy.”

I checked Danny’s text messages.

“You there?”

“Jake, please don’t be mad at me.”

“Jacob, please answer!”

That last one had come in around midnight. I texted him back.

“Sorry, phone died. I’m not mad at you, I just miss you. Don’t be mad at me.”

Danny’s next text came back almost instantly.

“I was afraid you were mad at me after what happened at camp. I’m sorry I pushed you into it.”

I replied. “You didn’t have to push me. I’m glad we did it.”

“Me too,” Danny replied. Another text quickly followed. “You want to stay overnight next weekend?”

“Sure!” I replied. As soon as I sent it, I realized I couldn’t. “No wait,” I texted. “That’s a dad weekend. Sorry.”

“Crap, that’s right!” Danny replied. “During the week then? Maybe after band practice?”

“I think that’ll work.”

I went to the bathroom to start the morning, practiced my trombone for a while and then when my phone had finished charging, I went out into the neighborhood to play the Pokémon Go game that everyone was playing that summer.

After a boring weekend at home, it was good to get back to band practice. We were closing in on our first halftime performance. We would only meet in the mornings on Monday through Thursday that week, and then we were going to meet on Friday night to perform under the lights in the stadium as a dress rehearsal, full uniforms and everything. After that, I’d have my weekend with dad and then school would start on Monday. I would spend two days in tenth grade at age fourteen and then my fifteenth birthday would come on Wednesday. I was born on the last possible day to be in the grade I was in, August 31, 2001. If I’d been born six hours later, I’d be the oldest student in ninth grade instead of the youngest student in tenth grade.

As usual, the captains met ten minutes early with Mr. Reilly. He explained how we would spend the first part of the morning in the band room, take a break, and then spend the second half of the morning on the field.

“I hope you all invited your parents to come to the dress rehearsal,” Mr. Reilly said. “I think they’re really going to be impressed with how far we’ve come. That’s your night to celebrate all the hard work you’ve done.”

Our meeting ended and I slipped out into the hallway. After a week apart, I really wanted to see Danny before our session began. I found him walking down the hall toward the band room holding hands with Britney Jones, a junior girl who played saxophone.

“Hey Jake,” Danny said with his usual smile. “You know Britney, right?”

“Yeah,” I said. “We said we were going to hang out some time after band this week but we never set a date.”

“Oh…” Danny said, looking nervously at Britney and then at my feet. “Ummm…”

“It’s okay Danny,” Britney said. “We spent all weekend together. Spend some time with your best friend.”

Danny’s face turned red.

“Yeah, Daniel…” I said. “Make a little time for your ‘bestest buddy’ in the world.”

Danny turned to Britney. “Can you excuse us for a minute?” he asked. Britney made her way to the band room. Danny and I walked down the hall to an out of the way corner.

“I thought you were going to be too busy this weekend to do anything,” I snapped.

“I was busy,” Danny said.

“Too busy with Britney?”

“As a matter of fact, her older brother took us to go see ‘Sausage Party.’ Saturday night was the only time he was available to go. We needed an adult to take us.”

“And you couldn’t have asked me to go with you?”

“One adult couldn’t take more than two teenagers.”

I scowled at him. “So what? You had to go out and get yourself a girlfriend after what we did at camp?”

“Jake, come on! You know it’s not like that!”

“Then what’s it like Danny? God damn it!”

“I knew you were going to be an immature little bitch about this. I just knew it! Dude, get this through your head: I’m not gay! What we did was an accident. It shouldn’t have happened. It was a big mistake and I’m sorry I did it. I like girls, Jake. I’m sorry!”

“Go fuck yourself, Daniel!” I replied. I stormed down the hall into the band room. I assembled my trombone and sat there stewing. When Danny walked in I couldn’t even look at him. He grabbed his trumpet and sat in his seat. I was glad he sat on the other side of the room from me.

Mr. Reilly came in and we warmed up with some scales. He was happy that we hadn’t forgotten everything we’d learned in the week we were gone. We were allowed to look at our music while we went through the songs, but I didn’t need to look at it since I knew it by heart. Then Mr. Reilly turned off the lights in the room.

“If you can play it in the dark, I’ll know you’re ready,” he said.

We didn’t sound half bad. Some kids struggled, especially the percussion section, and since we were relying only on our hearing we could hear every mistake. After Mr. Reilly turned the lights back up, he wanted to go over some things with the percussion section so he went back there to be with them. Mr. Butler would have never left his director’s podium to go work with anyone. While he was doing that, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I slipped it out and checked it. Danny had texted me.

“YRU acting like such a dick about everything?”

I looked at him across the room. He was looking at me expectantly. I held my phone down by my leg where no one could see and texted him back.

“You started everything at camp and then call me gay? Fuck you.”

Danny glanced down at his phone and scowled. Soon, my phone buzzed again.

“You said go for it.”

“Don’t blame me,” I replied. “You told me take my clothes off. I would have just went to sleep if you hadn’t started it.”

“I knew you were going to act like this. You’re such a baby, Jacob!”

I texted him back. “Blow me, Daniel. You seemed to enjoy it last time.”

I smirked at my cleverness and hit send on my phone. I looked at Danny, who now had Mr. Reilly standing right behind him, looking over Danny’s shoulder! Danny was totally oblivious to Mr. Reilly’s presence.

“Would you like to share your texts with the whole band, Mr. Rossi?” Mr. Reilly said. Danny jumped about six feet off the ground. He dropped his phone on the floor, and when he picked it up Mr. Reilly snatched it out of his hand before he could stop him. Mr. Reilly looked at the phone, and then right at me.

“Anything you’d like to say, Mr. Finnegan? Would you like me to read to everyone here what’s on this phone?”

I just shook my head. Mr. Reilly looked ready to murder me. “Ten minute break everyone. Meet out on the football field afterward. Finnegan, Rossi… My office…. Now!”

Everyone took their instruments and fled. Danny and I followed Mr. Reilly to his office. I felt like I was going to the gallows. Mr. Reilly slammed the door behind him and sat at his desk as we stood there.

“Give me your phone, Mr. Finnegan,” Mr. Reilly ordered. I handed it to him and he put it on his desk with Danny’s phone. “Just what do you think you’re doing sending a text like that?” he snapped.

“He started it!” I protested.

“Can it, Finnegan!” Mr. Reilly exploded. “You know, I’d expect this from Rossi here. But you, Finnegan? I expected better from you.”

“I’m sorry sir!” I said.

“You should be! You’re meant to be an example of what hard work and discipline look like not sending crap like this to someone who’s supposed to be your friend! What’s wrong with you?”

“I don’t know, sir,” I replied.

“Anything you have to say, Mr. Rossi? Mr. Rossi?!?”

Danny was looking at the wedding picture behind Mr. Reilly.

“Wh… What? Sorry…”

“Get out of my office, Mr. Rossi. While everyone is practicing, you’re going to run laps with Mr. Finnegan here. I want you side by side the entire time.”

“How many laps?” Danny asked.

“As many as it takes for you to learn not to text on my time. Beat it!” We turned to leave. “Not you Mr. Finnegan.”

Danny looked at me with sympathy, and then reluctantly left me with Mr. Reilly. I was never so scared of a teacher in my life. Mr. Reilly just looked at me.

“Now then… Anything you’d like to say?”

“Not really, sir,” I said.

“I’m beginning to wonder if I made a bad decision making you a captain,” Mr. Reilly said. “It’d be one thing if you were just texting each other. But telling him to blow you? Telling him he seemed to enjoy it last time? What are you trying to prove? What’s wrong with you?”

“I don’t know, sir.”

“What if somebody else had read those texts instead of me? You want that kind of stuff floating around out there? Careless words can do a lot of damage.”

“I wasn’t thinking, sir.”

“Obviously!” Mr. Reilly snapped. “I couldn’t be more disappointed in you, Jake.”

That hit me hard. I sniffled. “I know, sir. I’m sorry.”

“Go run your laps. Justin can lead your section today. If I ever see or even hear about you pulling something so mind-numbingly stupid again, I won’t just take your captaincy away, I’ll kick your butt out of my band faster than you can blink. Have I made myself clear, Finnegan?”

“Crystal, sir.”

“Now get out!” Mr. Reilly said.

I did as I was told. I joined Danny on the track while everyone in the band watched us begin running side by side around the track around the football field. Mr. Reilly called the band to attention.

“Rossi and Finnegan are going to work out their issues together while the rest of us get ready for Friday,” Mr. Reilly announced. I was humiliated.

By the time the morning session was over, Danny and I were barely jogging and were both covered in sweat. What stung worst of all was watching stupid Justin leading my section while all I could to was keep jogging around the track. When Mr. Reilly blew the final whistle to wrap up the morning session, he sent the band back to the band room to put away their things. He waited there for Danny and me to finish our trek around the track. We walked up to him. Mr. Reilly pulled our phones out of his pocket and gave them to us.

“Never again,” he warned us. We followed him back to the band room and put our instruments away.

Danny met Britney and said something to her. She nodded and walked away, leaving just the two of us in the band room.

“Can we talk?” he asked.

“Go for it,” I said.

“I just wanted to apologize for the way I acted earlier, before everything blew up. I should have told you about Britney. I shouldn’t have acted like such a douchebag. I knew you’d be upset after everything that happened. I should have told you. I shouldn’t have shut you out all week either. I just… I didn’t know what to say after what we did. I should have just talked to you about it instead of hiding from you.”

“Just so you know, you really hurt me when you said all that stuff about what we did being a big mistake. You don’t have to prove your straightness to me or anybody else. Your feelings are your business and no one else’s. I’ve been a mess since we did what we did. It would have been nice to have my best friend to talk to. I needed you, Danny, and you pushed me away.”

“Jake… It really scared me how quickly everything happened. I’ve been afraid to talk to you since then because… I’m afraid of the way I feel when I’m around you. I don’t know if I can trust myself around you knowing how easily I gave into those feelings.”

“But I can’t do anything about that!” I protested.

“I know… I’m sorry Jake. It’s not your fault I feel this way. I just… What we did really fucked me up. I need some time and some space to process everything. I want to come out of this as still best friends.”

“I don’t see how that can happen if you shut me out every time you need to sort out your feelings.”

“I know. The one person who I would talk with to sort everything out is the one person I can’t talk to about it.”

“Why can’t you? I’d say I’m the one person who you can talk to because I’m the only one who understands what you’re going through.”

“Yeah. Okay, we need to find a way to move past this. How about we just establish right now that what we did happened. It shouldn’t have, but it wasn’t anyone’s fault. We promise not to do it again or use it to beat each other up about it. We shouldn’t be naked around each other, so no more hot tub, at least without trunks. Okay?”

“That’s fine. As long as you promise not to dump me for a girlfriend and forget I exist when you feel uncomfortable about your feelings.”

“I’m still going to have girlfriends,” Danny said.

“And I might find a boyfriend someday, but we won’t let any of those relationships get in the way of us being best friends. I’ll try not to get jealous when you get a girl. Okay?”

“Okay,” Danny said.

Mr. Reilly walked into the room to turn off the lights.

“Are you boys still here?” he said.

“Just trying to work everything out,” I said.

“Well do it somewhere else. I want to go to lunch,” Mr. Reilly said. He left the lights on and walked back out of the room.

"What a dick!" Danny said quietly to me. "Remind me later to talk with you about him."

We left the school and found our moms waiting for us in the parking lot, chatting with each other.

“Well it’s about time!” Mom said when she saw us.

“Mom, can Jake come over after practice tomorrow?” Danny asked.

“I think that’s a wonderful idea!” Mrs. Rossi said.

I smiled at Danny and he grinned at me. We were back.

Another one down! So, next one might take a few days. I need a little break after doing four chapters in four days. (just a little break.) I wanted to get back to Jake's family, but that seemed like a good place to end this one. Next time, we'll celebrate Jake's birthday... twice!
And thanks for the comments! I've really enjoyed reading them and replying. That's one of the best parts about writing here!
Copyright © 2020 jkwsquirrel; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 15
  • Wow 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Danny reminds me of someone. Has feelings for his best friend. Surpresses those feelings. And more than likely when he finally gives into those feelings it'll be too late. Honestly they're both acting like Bitches about it, but what can you do they're teenagers. Drama galore

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Wow the serious drama of being a teenager and being In Love with someone, another awesome chapter

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Danny is less likeable every chapter! Too bad he's about all Jake has for friends. I'd tell him to get bent!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

What a couple of typical sophomores.  Of course they are confused and bitchy as they try to figure themselves out.  I think it was a realistic portrayal.  Good job!

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, jaysalmn said:

Danny is less likeable every chapter! Too bad he's about all Jake has for friends. I'd tell him to get bent!

They both have issues but I agree Danny is the bigger jerk here.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Jake and Danny are so lucky that it was Mr Reilly was the one who read the text instead of he who shall remain nameless whose job is currently being held by Mr Taylor.
;–)

Link to comment
12 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

Danny reminds me of someone. Has feelings for his best friend. Surpresses those feelings. And more than likely when he finally gives into those feelings it'll be too late. Honestly they're both acting like Bitches about it, but what can you do they're teenagers. Drama galore

I'm starting to "get" Danny.  He so afraid of his perfectly normal feelings.  Even straight boys can find themselves attracted to their male friends.  Hormones are goofy at that age.  He said he likes playing with fire in chapter one.  He finds Jake attractive, and he's wrestling with what to do with those feelings, and every time he goes too far he finds himself a girlfriend.  

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, mikedup said:

Wow the serious drama of being a teenager and being In Love with someone, another awesome chapter

Thanks!  I love the back and forth between these guys.  So much tension that could snap at any time!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, jaysalmn said:

Danny is less likeable every chapter! Too bad he's about all Jake has for friends. I'd tell him to get bent!

Don't be too hard on Danny!  He's trying to figure out who he is just like Jake.  And even when Jake lashes out at him, he still comes back.  He's pretty loyal, at least!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

What a couple of typical sophomores.  Of course they are confused and bitchy as they try to figure themselves out.  I think it was a realistic portrayal.  Good job!

Thanks!  Just one of the many things I love bout writing in this age range, so many emotions, so little time.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
14 hours ago, weinerdog said:

It didn't take Freud to figure out something like this was going to happen. So here is my lame attempt to be an  amateur Freud lol. Danny just doesn't want be gay for all the obvious reasons but those feelings for Jake will not go away.What to do about it?That's the stumper isn't it. Why do I get the feeling if Jake gets a BF Danny will start acting like Jake has.

Brett probably has put 2+2 together and can relate to them but  most likely feels he can't get involved to try to help them being a new teacher and all. 

I tend to think that our sexuality is more fluid than fixed, and at different times in our lives, especially in our teens, our hormones present us with all kinds of options to express our sexuality.  We might lean more one way than another, but all options are on the table.  Just my opinion.  As for Brett, err...  Mr. Reilly...  He was definitely the right person to catch the boys' texting each other.  Making them suffer together to learn their lesson?  Classic Brett Reilly.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
13 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Jake and Danny are so lucky that it was Mr Reilly was the one who read the text instead of he who shall remain nameless whose job is currently being held by Mr Taylor.
;–)

Couple things I've enjoyed about Mr. Reilly.  One, is Danny's growing disdain for him.  Being called out during marching practice, being moved to last chair, being forced to run laps...  And the fact that Mr. Reilly picked his best friend to be the golden child.  Jealous much?  Haven't we all had a teacher who just irritated us no matter what they did?

Two, the growing relationship between Jake and Mr. Reilly has been fun to watch develop.  The moment that hurt Jake the most was when Mr. Reilly said he was disappointed in him. (The only time Mr. Reilly ever called him Jake.)  I think Brett channeled George Roberts for a moment there.  Jake's own father tends to indulge him.  Mr. Reilly challenges and pushes Jake.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, jkwsquirrel said:

Couple things I've enjoyed about Mr. Reilly.  One, is Danny's growing disdain for him.  Being called out during marching practice, being moved to last chair, being forced to run laps...  And the fact that Mr. Reilly picked his best friend to be the golden child.  Jealous much?  Haven't we all had a teacher who just irritated us no matter what they did?

Think of all the interesting and amusing conflicts that will arise if Mr Reilly becomes the advisor to Danny’s proposed GSA! If Danny ever gets around to asking Mr Taylor for permission. Or if Mr Taylor gets around to setting it up…
;–)

Link to comment
1 hour ago, jkwsquirrel said:

  As for Brett, err...  Mr. Reilly... 

We're not his students we don't have to call him that do we? lol

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, jkwsquirrel said:

Couple things I've enjoyed about Mr. Reilly.  One, is Danny's growing disdain for him.  Being called out during marching practice, being moved to last chair, being forced to run laps...  And the fact that Mr. Reilly picked his best friend to be the golden child.  Jealous much?  Haven't we all had a teacher who just irritated us no matter what they did?

Two, the growing relationship between Jake and Mr. Reilly has been fun to watch develop.  The moment that hurt Jake the most was when Mr. Reilly said he was disappointed in him. (The only time Mr. Reilly ever called him Jake.)  I think Brett channeled George Roberts for a moment there.  Jake's own father tends to indulge him.  Mr. Reilly challenges and pushes Jake.

I didn't think about it but yeah he did kinda channel George didn't he?

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Oh boy, here we go. Regardless of the sexual stuff that happened it always sucks when a friend dumps you for a relationship and can’t balance the two as some people seem unable to multitask in that regard causing them to ignore friends whenever they start dating someone. Kinda makes Danny seem like a jerk in that regard considering he clearly just didn’t want Jake around. Now obviously he admitted it giving some reasonable reasons for the most part as it’s hard to blame him for needing some space to think considering his recent ahem activities, but I feel like there’s likely more to the story. I mean he started dating this girl extremely fast causing me to suspect based on the fact that he insists he’s not gay, despite his contrary actions, that he has some internalized homophobia. I think he’s clearly worried about admitting his attraction to guys so he’s dating this girl to prove to others as well as possibly himself that he’s 100% straight. Beyond feeling sorry for Jake it also makes me feel a little bit sorry for Britney as he’s likely just using her though who knows where this will go. Typically you assume that Danny & Jake will end up together in the end yet it would actually be more realistic as well as possibly healthier if they didn’t as there’s going to be a lot of drama I’m sure. Not saying I don’t love a romantic ending but I know some authors like twists so we’ll see.

  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, NimirRaj said:

I mean he started dating this girl extremely fast

That's my red flag right there .Jake and Danny had two sexual encounters and in both cases Danny has a GF within a week after it happens.Not a coincidence

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

There is no mention of other friends, there's Jake and his best friend Danny, but surely at fifteen (at any age) both boys would have a bunch of guys they were friends with and hung out together? Do they really only have each other? If there were other friends there would be other people (their own age) to share with and talk to, not a detailed exposé of their relationship, but for a broader picture and others to hang out with. Neither Jake nor Danny seem complete loners, proof Danny knows quite a few girls that seem to like him. Supposing Danny likes both guys and girls, where does that leave Jake? 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
18 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Think of all the interesting and amusing conflicts that will arise if Mr Reilly becomes the advisor to Danny’s proposed GSA! If Danny ever gets around to asking Mr Taylor for permission. Or if Mr Taylor gets around to setting it up…
;–)

I get the feeling you think that's what Mr. Taylor's conversation with his father was about in chapter two.  I was thinking that conversation was about hiring Mr. Reilly.  After all, young "Mr. Reilly" didn't just embarrass old man Taylor, he almost brought down the whole school administration and had them all ready to destroy each other.  Old farts like Old Man Taylor aren't likely to forget a smart assed punk kid calling them a dumbass telling them they're "full of sh*t."

  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
15 hours ago, NimirRaj said:

Oh boy, here we go. Regardless of the sexual stuff that happened it always sucks when a friend dumps you for a relationship and can’t balance the two as some people seem unable to multitask in that regard causing them to ignore friends whenever they start dating someone. Kinda makes Danny seem like a jerk in that regard considering he clearly just didn’t want Jake around. Now obviously he admitted it giving some reasonable reasons for the most part as it’s hard to blame him for needing some space to think considering his recent ahem activities, but I feel like there’s likely more to the story. I mean he started dating this girl extremely fast causing me to suspect based on the fact that he insists he’s not gay, despite his contrary actions, that he has some internalized homophobia. I think he’s clearly worried about admitting his attraction to guys so he’s dating this girl to prove to others as well as possibly himself that he’s 100% straight. Beyond feeling sorry for Jake it also makes me feel a little bit sorry for Britney as he’s likely just using her though who knows where this will go. Typically you assume that Danny & Jake will end up together in the end yet it would actually be more realistic as well as possibly healthier if they didn’t as there’s going to be a lot of drama I’m sure. Not saying I don’t love a romantic ending but I know some authors like twists so we’ll see.

Yep.  This was more of Danny trying to find himself and being uncomfortable with where his exploration had led him, so he retreats to the "safe" relationship with a girl.  Jake pleaded with him to let him come over that weekend, but Danny was too busy to realize his friend needed him, or he realized it but was too afraid to act.  Don't know if Danny realizes he's being a user, but he is definitely being self centered.  We'll see about that ending.  I have some ideas, but we'll see where the story takes us!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Israfil said:

I think he’s categorized Jake as an “exception.” The same way someone with ingrained racism could consider a close minority friend “one of the good ones.”

That is a great insight, I never thought about it that way, but I think you are spot on.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well it is obvious to me the boys do truly love each other - it just can't be in the physical sense! 

But teenagers, with raging hormones, often allow that little head to overrule the bigger head!!  I do believe their friendship is strong enough to survivor this identity crisis.  At least I hope so!! Thanks for providing us with a great diversion during these crazy crazy times.

Be Safe!!

Edited by KayDeeMac
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..