Jump to content
    joecarlson
  • Author
  • 2,139 Words
  • 3,092 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Love Story with a Prisoner of War - 10. Happy Birthday

span style="font-size:1em;line-height:1.3em;">Thanks for reminding

1st July 1941. Axel’s 19th Birthday.

‘Good morning.’Axel said, smiling radiantly to all of us. He then settled himself down at the dining table for breakfast.

‘Good morning, Axel.’ Jake and mum replied warmly.

Axel did not have a clue about tonight’s well-planned birthday party; everything was kept safely under our hats. We pretended that we did not know today was his birthday.

*  *  *

Axel and I immersed ourselves in the farm work as usual. Seeding, plowing, watering, weeding, harvesting, milking were no longer strangers to Axel. Now, he was capable of doing all these as efficient as I did. There was only one thing that Axel could not get along with – the horses. There were two brown heavy draft horses on my farm which always helped us out for the plowing. If my memory serves well, my dad bought them when I was three. For God knew what reason, Axel felt intimidated whenever the horses were around. He never got the courage to pat the horses, let alone sit into the saddle. Anyway, Axel was now an indispensable member on the farm.

At four something, Jake and mum went back home to prepare the birthday feast and the cake, leaving Axel and I on the farm. Sensing something strange, Axel asked, ‘Why Jake mum go home? Sun is no down.’

‘They are not going home. They are going to the coop to take care the chicken.’ I lied calmly.

‘Oh.’ Axel said. Unlike his usual happy self, Axel was quite expressionless in that morning and afternoon. Perhaps, my fabulous acting skill successfully led him to believe that I had forgotten his birthday. The more dejected he was, the better.

We continued to harvest the golden wheat as the day worn on. As the summer solstice had just passed, the temperature was getting increasingly unpleasant. The big red sun was high overhead, baking us mercilessly. Our bodies were already soaked in sweat by noon. The summer of 1941 was exceptionally hot, much hotter than last two years.

Soon, the sun began to set and it was time to head home. Like a boss, I instructed Axel to put the harvested wheat to the back of the truck. By the end of the afternoon Axel looked so glum and gloomy. I had never seen his long face before. He must be thinking that I had forgotten his birthday and no one was going to celebrate his big day with him. Yes! Bingo! He would be thrilled when he discovered what was lying ahead of him.

‘Xavier, all ready.’ Jake shouted a few yards away.

*  *  *

The house was filled with the aromatic fragrance of a freshly baked banana cake; it was sense-awakening. There was no lavish decoration in the house, but the smell of celebration was prevailing in every corner. The dining table was laid completely with dishes of scrumptious food – tomato spaghetti, roasted chicken, broccoli cheddar soup, a loaf of bread and a bowl of salad. The sight of all these made me salivate. Axel stood transfixed with surprise. His gloominess vanished instantly and was replaced by a big grin. Clearly, Axel was not expecting this; he was so over the moon that he remained silent for a whole minute as if there was a lump in his throat. His face was in the color of joy and elation.

‘Did you think that I had forgotten your birthday?’ I asked Axel.

‘Yes.’ Axel replied sheepishly.

‘Sit down, Axel. You are one of us now. Your birthday is our birthday.’ Mum interrupted.

‘Yes! Even your birthday feast looks yummier and fancier than mine.’ Jake said jokingly, shooting a look at his mum.

‘What did you just say, Jake?’ Mum asked bossily.

‘Nothing.’ Jake replied promptly.

‘Good. Everyone sit down. Would Xavier offer thanks?’ Mum said.

After all of us had sat down, I offered my prayer. ‘Ok. Let us pray. Heavenly Father, we thank you for the delicious food before us and for giving us Axel to share it with. Bless the hands of those who prepared the food. Bless the soldiers who are now fighting in the battlefield. Bless the world and may peace soon resume its ruling. Amen.’.

‘Amen.’ The three of them said in unison.

‘Nice prayer.’ Mum said.

‘Thank you. Let’s start!’ I said.

The boys, me inclusive, bolted down the food like a flock of locust. We ate greedily until our appetite was fully satiated. The food tasted heavenly. It had been more than 2 months (the last time was when Axel arrived) since we had had such a feast. On normal days, we only had spaghetti with eggs or white bread with salad or chicken wings with corn. So, today’s dinner was extraordinarily appetizing.

During the meal, Axel kept on extolling mum’s superb culinary skills and he tried his very best to chat with us. He told us (along with a lot of body language) that he was not exactly a soldier but a doctor-to-be. He was selected to be a protégé of an army doctor. He needed to learn how to dress a cut, how to suture a broken hand, etcetera. Therefore, he was exempted from all the other military training. He didn’t even know how to operate a rifle. Axel had followed the Nazi army to Poland, Norway and later Denmark where he was caught by the Canadian troop. He thought he was going to be slaughtered right away, but our Canadian soldiers, who had hearts of gold, decided to send him to Canada, probably due to his young age (and possibly his breathtaking handsomeness.) And now, here he was. You may be wondering why he did not tell us this story when he arrived. Well, again, his English. After two-month of intense English training, Axel’s present English was at least communicable. So, his dramatically improving English gave him the medium to transmit his stories to us all.

Soon, the feast was over and my mum proudly presented Axel her delectable banana cake. Axel was so thrilled to see the cake and he nearly burst into tears. We sang Axel Happy Birthday and then, the four of us savored the cake to the fullest. It was probably the best banana cake you could find on planet earth. The sweet taste of banana would linger in your mouth long after it was swallowed. The taste of it was just majestic!

‘Jake, can you do me a favor?’ I whispered.

‘What?’ Jake replied.

‘Can you wash the dishes for me?’ I asked in a pleading tone.

‘What are you going to do in return?’ Jake smirked.

‘You’ll not have to do the dishes for the next two weeks. I’ll do it for you.’ I said.

‘Ok, deal.’ Jake said, grinning evilly. ‘But why do you want me to do the dishes tonight?’

‘Secret.’ I muttered.

‘Tell me the truth. Otherwise, I’ll not do it for you.’ Jake said, like a boss.

‘Ok… Ok… I have a surprise for Axel.’ I said quietly.

‘Oh. What surprise?’ Jake said, trying to dig out every single detail of my plan.

‘Please, Jake. Just don’t ask. I’ll do the dishes for you for three weeks. Okay?’ I begged.

‘Three weeks? No. A whole month.’ Jake said, clearly knowing that I would say yes.

‘Ok. Ok. You da boss.’ I said.

‘Great.’

*  *  *

 

Yes, the time had arrived. Mum had gone upstairs for rest and Jake was cleaning the dishes in the kitchen.

‘Axel, come.’ I said.

‘Huh?’ Axel asked, slightly puzzled.

‘Follow me. I have something to show you.’ I said, beckoning to Axel.

‘Ok.’ Axel said.

It was about 10pm when I led Axel to the surprise. The night was alluring. Countless stars were twinkling brightly in the sky and the full moon was as beautiful as Axel. Axel followed me to the hay barn, which was only a 5-minute-walk from home. I had planned this surprise for a whole week, so please, god, I don’t want anything to go off course.

Finally, we arrived at the hay barn. Darkness pervaded in the barn and the smell of dried hay filled our nostrils. The barn was so quiet that even a pin drop could be heard.

‘Axel, stand at the door.’ I ordered.

‘Here?’ He asked.

‘Yes. Turn around and close your eyes.’ I said.

‘Okay, okay.’ Axel said timidly. Then he turned around.

Inside the barn, there was nothing but hay. The previous night, I removed the hay at the interior right corner so as to create some space for my surprise. I went to that corner, took out the matches that I brought along, and, one by one, lit up the short candles that I had placed on the ground yesterday. The candlelight flickered in the darkness, and the previously pitch-black barn instantly came alive. The sight was not only beautiful but also incredibly romantic. On the ground, the candles were deliberately planted to form his name– Axel. Like this:

X X

X X X

X X X X XXXXX X

X X X X X X X X X X

X X X X XXXXX X

X X X X X X

X X X X XXXXX X

 

‘Axel. Turn around.’ I said

Axel, who was standing about a few yards away, turned slowly around. When he saw what I had prepared for him, his jaws dropped to the ground. He told me later that he couldn’t believe his eyes; he thought he was dreaming. Our gaze met, then my version of German Happy Birthday began.

‘Zum---ge---bur---stag---vi---gluck.

Zum---ge---bur---stag---vi---gluck.

Zum---ge---bur---stag---lie—be Axel

Zum---ge---bur---stag---vi---gluck.

When I sang the song, Axel was smiling from ear to ear and his watery eyes were glistening in the weak candlelight. He walked slowly to me, trying to make sense of everything. He stared at the ‘Axel’ candles silently, and at the same time, relishing my not-too-good singing voice. No sooner had my song ended than Axel began to sob. I wanted to hug him right away but the candles on the ground blocked my way to him, so I jumped across the candles, stood on tiptoe and wrapped him up in my arms. His body was shivering in happiness and he remained speechless for a long time.

‘Zum-ge-bur-stag-vi-gluck’ I whispered in his ear. Axel just kept on wetting my right shoulder while I was patting him. He finally stopped weeping after minutes. In his shaky voice, he said, ‘Thank you Xavier. Beautiful. Beautiful.’

In my mind, a voice shouted, ‘I love you.’ I tried my best to suppress that voice because I didn’t want to ruin our friendship. I so wanted to pour my feeling out, but I was so afraid that Axel would freak out at my confession.

‘You are welcome.’ I responded.

‘We are good friend.’ Axel said, breaking away from our hug.

Hearing him say that, a pain suddenly well up in my chest. Good friend. Yes… Good friend. That’s all we can be. Thanks for reminding me.

span style="font-family:Georgia,serif;">A huge thank to all who have been following this story. <3 you
A-X doesn't end here.
Next chapter out next week
Copyright © 2014 joecarlson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Damn, that was too short.

 

Did Xavier forget what Axel really wanted for his b-day? Didn't he tell him what he wanted up in that tree?

 

I think Axel is going to be very appreciative of what X's family has done for his birthday, but more importantly, I think he will appreciate what X did for him even more.

 

Looking forward to the next chapter, Joe! :2thumbs:

Link to comment
On 07/08/2013 12:52 PM, Lisa said:
Damn, that was too short.

 

Did Xavier forget what Axel really wanted for his b-day? Didn't he tell him what he wanted up in that tree?

 

I think Axel is going to be very appreciative of what X's family has done for his birthday, but more importantly, I think he will appreciate what X did for him even more.

 

Looking forward to the next chapter, Joe! :2thumbs:

Xavier of course did remember what Axel said on the tree. But you know, there are times when you are not so sure of everything. Xavier was so afraid to lose Axel that he would rather keep his feeling unspoken. And Xavier really didn't know 'I want you' was a joke or what. Homosexuality was a taboo in the 40s and not to mention Xavier was a Catholic. More will be revealed in the next few chapters. Thanks for your support, Lisa. It really means the whole world to me.

Lots of love,

JC

Link to comment
On 07/08/2013 09:47 PM, gotmyaccount said:
Aaawwwww !!! IM GONNA CRY !!! Be calm my heart !!!!!!!! OH AXEL !!!!!!!
Thanks for your support =)))
Link to comment

Hey, I love this story. I loved how he set up the surprise. I expected him to just sing happy b'day in german and not the beautiful scene. And how long did it take you to set up that Axel drawn in characters?! I have to be honest though, the end didn't fit for me. I read your comment above, but my feeling is that, taboo or not, Axel made it clear he was interested in Xavier. He was pretty forward. I agree that Xavier would probably hold his feelings in and maybe didn't make it obvious he felt the same. I think he is more likely to be affected by the contemporary attitudes, but he still was open to it. He put himself out there. The part of the scene that didn't feel like the character acted the way you would expect as you've built the character is Axel. It seemed like too much of a shift in the charzacter's actions and emotions. The boy in the tree would have made a play when Xavier showed such a romantic side. Axel said he wanted Xavier for his B'day. He wouldn't get to a barn where Xav arranged for private time and made a beautiful and romantic show of his caring for him, only to share a hug and to say d'we're good friends.' Afterall, that's not something Jake or another 'good friend' would do.

You did leave us hanging at a point where you could go either way. I'd like to see one of them kiss the other even if you don't want to take it farther right away b/c of the reasons you stated in your response above . I look forward to the next chapter to see how you move their relationship forward. I hope yo

Link to comment
On 07/12/2013 03:11 AM, Cannd said:
Hey, I love this story. I loved how he set up the surprise. I expected him to just sing happy b'day in german and not the beautiful scene. And how long did it take you to set up that Axel drawn in characters?! I have to be honest though, the end didn't fit for me. I read your comment above, but my feeling is that, taboo or not, Axel made it clear he was interested in Xavier. He was pretty forward. I agree that Xavier would probably hold his feelings in and maybe didn't make it obvious he felt the same. I think he is more likely to be affected by the contemporary attitudes, but he still was open to it. He put himself out there. The part of the scene that didn't feel like the character acted the way you would expect as you've built the character is Axel. It seemed like too much of a shift in the charzacter's actions and emotions. The boy in the tree would have made a play when Xavier showed such a romantic side. Axel said he wanted Xavier for his B'day. He wouldn't get to a barn where Xav arranged for private time and made a beautiful and romantic show of his caring for him, only to share a hug and to say d'we're good friends.' Afterall, that's not something Jake or another 'good friend' would do.

You did leave us hanging at a point where you could go either way. I'd like to see one of them kiss the other even if you don't want to take it farther right away b/c of the reasons you stated in your response above . I look forward to the next chapter to see how you move their relationship forward. I hope yo

hi cannd. first of all, thank you for following this story; it really means a lot to me. Second, for the Axel in characters; it takes like 2 minutes, it's actually quite easy to do that. haha xp. Third, I totally understand why the chapter ending didn't appeal to you. There are 2 reasons why Axel was holding back his feeling. 1) There's something happening in Germany. 2) Something that i hinted in the chapter. The reasons will be revealed in the next few chapters and I hope they will make perfect sense to you.

Once again, thank you for your support and telling me how you are feeling with the story. You know, i dont have a beta or an editor and the problem is that I don't really know what the readers are thinking of sometimes. so your words really help me to grow as a writer.

Lots of love,

JC

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..