Jump to content
    joecarlson
  • Author
  • 1,896 Words
  • 3,042 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Love Story with a Prisoner of War - 9. The Preparation

span style="font-size:1em;line-height:1.3em;">Learning to sing.

After finishing dinner at 8, Axel went to do the dishes in the kitchen.

Mum, Jake and I were still sitting at the dinner table, digesting and unwinding. When Axel was safely out of earshot, I announced the big news to them, ‘Axel’s birthday's coming!’

‘Oh! Really? When?’ Mum said, letting a slow smile spread across her face.

‘First of July.’ I replied.

‘Five days left. When did he tell you that?’ Jake said, looking at the calendar on the wall.

‘Yesterday in the woods.’ I said.

‘He is going to be eighteen or nineteen?’ Jake asked.

‘Nineteen.’ I replied.

‘What do you have in mind, Xavier?’ Mum asked.

‘How about a more-than-usual dinner?’ I said, trying to conceal my excitement.

‘Ok, I will make a big feast for Axel.’ Mum said. ‘Axel is such a good boy. He has been so helpful to us all. The farm has never been so productive since your dad has gone. I am very very grateful for everything that he has done. What impresses me the most is the fact that he is so well mannered. His parents must have given their hearts and souls to raise him up. I am sure he is homesick. We need to make him feel like a member in our family. We have to throw him a warm and well-planned birthday party.’

‘Yes. I agree. He is a better companion than you, Xavier!’ Jake said teasingly.

‘What did you just say?’ I scowled at Jake, slightly irritated by his disrespectful remark.

‘Nah. I’m just joking. Nothing compares to you Xav.’ Jake replied jokingly.

‘Thanks for telling me the truth.’ I grunted.

‘Xavier, can you help me make a cake for Axel?’ Mum interrupted our little quarrel.

‘Can you ask Jake to help you? I am planning something for Axel.’ I replied.

‘Oh. What are you planning?’ Jake asked.

‘Secret.’ I replied, smiling evilly at him.

‘Tell me!’ Jake insisted.

‘I’m planning to tie you up, stuff you in a big box and give you to Axel as a present. I’m sure he will LOVE it.’ I said playfully.

‘You are going to rot in hell, trust me Xavier.’ Jake shouted, obviously piqued by my suggestion.

‘Okay, gentlemen, mind your words. So, Jake, will you help me make a cake for Axel?’ Mum asked again.

‘Sure. What cake do you have in mind? I want a banana cake. Mum, your banana cake is probably the best in the world.’ Jake said excitedly.

‘That’s a good idea. The bananas in the farm are ripening. So, a banana cake for Axel. Good for you Xav?.’ Mum replied.

I nodded.

No sooner had Mum finished her sentence than Axel came out from the kitchen.

‘Done!’ Axel announced happily. ‘I go room.’

‘Axel, good night.’ The three of us said in unison.

 

                                                         *  *  * 

The next morning, I went to the Williams with a dozen of eggs to say thank you once again.

The Williams had been our neighbor for generations, as Mum told me. It took about 15 minutes to walk through the wheat field to the Williams’ house. Their farm and our farm were separated by a shallow stream which was bridged by a plank of wood. When Jake and I were kids, we often played in that stream stark naked with the William twins, Nick and Jordan, who were a few months older than me. The two of them enlisted into the Canadian Army nearly two years ago, but we had received nothing from them so far. They were sorely missed, especially Nick. Nick had been my best friend since I was born. He was my neighbor in school for six consecutive years. Before Adolf Hitler invaded Poland in 1939, Nick was my shadow – together, we revised, we did homework, we went to school, we played tricks on teachers. We were inseparable. Before Axel arrived, I reminisced about the good old days with Nick every night, and I prayed to God that Nick (and of course, Jordan) would come back soon. However, after Axel came into my life, I found myself forgetting Nick from time to time. I felt downright guilty about that, but the enchanting sight of Axel really kept my mind off from literally everything. When I closed my eyes, I saw Axel. When I slept, Axel occupied my entire dream. When I worked alone in the field, I thought of the beautiful pink lips of Axel.

‘Nick, I am sorry, please forgive me. You have been and always will take permanent residence in my heart.’ I thought.

Andy Williams and Stephen Williams, who saved Axel and me in the woods, were brothers. Both of them were veterans of the First World War. Stephen was the father of the twins whereas Andy and his wife were childless. The brothers were at least 55 years old but they looked at least a decade younger. Both of them did not suffer from middle-age spread, probably due to the hard labor in farm.

Soon, I arrived at the Williams’ farm. I spotted Andy shaving the sheep in the distance.

‘Hey, Andy.’ I shouted, waving my hand in the air.

‘Hey.’ Andy put down the razor and walked in my direction.

‘How’s everything, Xav?’ Andy asked.

‘Great. I’m here to say thank you again. And please accept this little gift. Axel and I would not have survived if you and Stephen had not gone to rescue us.’ I said, offering the box of eggs to him.

‘Oh. You’re welcome. And for the eggs, please keep it. I did not do much, really.’ He said, with a small smile on his angular face.

‘No, please take it.’ I insisted.

‘Okay, Okay.’ He replied.

I went to the Williams not only because I wanted to express my gratitude. There was another reason why I went there.

‘Is your German boy around?’ I asked Andy.

‘Yes. You looking for him?’ Andy asked, slightly confused.

‘I need his help.’ I said.

‘What kind of help exactly?’ Andy continued.

‘Secret.’ I said, smiling sheepishly.

‘Ok. I guess he is in the hay barn.’ He said, looking at my suspiciously.

‘Ok, thanks. What’s his name?’ I asked.

‘Otto.’ He replied.

‘Thanks. See you.’ I said, heading to the barn.

 

                                                                                                    *  *  *

‘Otto, Otto, Otto. Where are you?’ I said loudly.

‘Yes.’ A male voice replied.

A striking figure came into sight. Blond hair, well-built, muscular, but not as perfect as Axel. He was about 20 years old or so. The boy was at least 6 feet tall, with a broad shoulder. I approached him, smiling warmly at him. As our distance closed, his features became readable. Green eyes, straight nose, strong chin, tanned skin, chapped lips. He was handsome, but nowhere close to my beautiful Axel. I wondered whether all the German boys were so charming.

‘Hi. Who you?’ Otto said, looking down at me. His voice was a little bit squeaky for his age.

‘Are you Otto?’ I said.

‘Yes.’ He replied.

‘I am from the other farm. My name is Xavier. I need your help.’ I said slowly, hoping that he would understand my English.

‘Xafer. How I help you?’ He asked. Wow. He understands me! I thought.

‘Teach me to sing the German Birthday Song.’ I said.

‘What German Birthday Song?’ He asked, slightly puzzled.

“Em… have you ever heard: ‘Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to Otto, happy birthday to you’?” I sang softly.

‘Oh! I know.’ He said.

‘Can you teach me how to sing it in German, please?’ I asked politely.

‘You want the song in German?’ He asked.

‘Yes.’ I replied.

‘Ok.’

 

We sat on a pile of hay and the teaching began.

Otto said something like ‘zum-go-bur-stak-v-gluck.’

‘Huh?’ I said, slightly confused.

And then he said slowly. ‘Zum---ge---bur---stag---vi---gluck.’

I repeated what he said slowly.

‘Good.’ He commented.

Then we sang along to the Birthday song melody. ‘Zum---ge---bur---stag---vi---gluck. Zum---ge---bur---stag---vi---gluck.’

‘Next is, zum----geburstag---lie----be…Otto.’ Otto said.

I repeated and we sang along for one more time.

‘Good. You sing.’ Otto said.

Then, embarrassingly, I sang the whole song in front of him.

‘Zum---ge---bur---stag---vi---gluck.

Zum---ge---bur---stag---vi---gluck.

Zum---ge---bur---stag---lie—be (lala)

Zum---ge---bur---stag---vi---gluck. '

‘Good job.’ Otto said, smiling radiantly at me.

‘Thank you very much.’ I said. ‘By the way, do you know Axel?’

‘Who Axel?’ Otto asked.

‘He is also from Germany. His birthday is coming. Do you want to celebrate with us?’ I offered.

‘I’ll ask Andy.’ He said.

‘Ok. Hope you will come. Come to my farm and tell me tomorrow. Thanks for teaching me the song. See you soon.’ I said.

‘Bye.’ Otto said.

 

When I walked back to my farm, the song kept looping in my head. 'Zum---ge---bur---stag---vi---gluck'

span style="font-size:1em;line-height:1.3em;">Learning to sing.
Copyright © 2014 joecarlson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It's nice to get a flash of life before the war. Nick sound like he might have been X's first crush? :P I think Axel will like that he went out and learned how to sing happy birthday in his own language! Caught up, now I want more :lol:

Link to comment

Boy Xavier learns fast! I'd have to write it down phonetically and study it for hours! He's a quick learner.lol

 

I think it will mean so much to Axel that Xavier took the time (and initiative), to learn the German version of "Happy Birthday".

 

Ok, on to the party! :) I see it's up. Have no clue where I've been hiding that I missed these two chapters...

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..