Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,464 Words
  • 944 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Tragedy of Yinx - 4. Cracking the Surface

Laneer

The sound of music wakes me from my sleep. Followed by the smell of food being made.

I really don’t want to get up but the sun is shining down on me and it just makes it harder to go back to sleep.

The soft music from a lyre makes it harder to wake up as well.

I glance towards the bed and see that it has been made and Lleros’ clothes are no longer on the floor.

It would probably be best if I were to get up right now. I wouldn’t want to seem rude.

I really need to get my clothes back. As much as I don’t want to, I have to head back home. My father finds it rather annoying when I stay out all night.

Why can’t I just stay here with Lleros? It is a hell of a lot better than staying at that damn castle.

I smile and touch my cheek.

He kissed me last night. Pretty sure it was just to shut me up, but he kissed me! It felt so soft. Almost as if it didn’t even happen. I don’t care how strange yesterday was. I just know that kiss was real.

Lleros walks in with a two steaming bowls in his hands.

“Are you awake yet?” He asks before setting the bowl on the floor next to me.

“Nope. Not at all.” I sigh and lean back on my pillow.

He smiles and blows at his steaming bowl of...eggs and some kind of meat.

I watch him eat for a moment. He carefully uses his fork. It seems as if he is making a guessing game. He stabs into the bowl and lifts the fork to his mouth. Sometimes there isn’t anything there. During those moments, his eyebrows draw together but he quickly searches in his bowl once again.

“You staring at me isn’t helping.” He says after another failed bite.

I jump a bit and instantly reach for my food.

“Sorry.” I get out before blowing on top of the hot food. Wait a second.

“Are you actually blind?” I ask. I have been curious about it. He constantly seems to know where he is going. Missing the food in his bowl makes me think he might actually be blind, yet he can tell where I am and when I am looking at him.

Lleros hums to himself before looking straight at me. “Somewhat.”

“That would mean?” I normally wouldn’t push anyone else about this, but I am pretty curious about this Lleros.

“I can…” He seems to think about his answer, “see shapes? It is like an outline. I am not entirely sure how, but I can sense things. I can see that you’re sitting there or the shape of my bed, but with people...I can’t tell what you look like. The outlines are different colors for different people. Everything else is just...black. The lines, they constantly wave and move so I can never get a good shape of how people look physically. It is a bit hard to explain.”

I just nod in acknowledgement. “That sounds scary.”

Lleros smiles and shrugs his shoulders. “It is only scary for the ones that aren’t living. I recently learned that I can only see what is connected to the ground. If you were to jump, you would disappear from my vision.”

Honestly, I am slightly curious about that and want to try, but I feel like that would be rude.

“You said the outlines for people are different colors? What is mine? Can you see your own outline?” I ask with a smile. I bet his would be something like a bright yellow or pink. Something bright and what I would consider pretty.

“Yours is a mixture of gold and orange.” He smiles. He lifts his hand and holds it out in front of him. “I can’t really see anything about myself. I don’t have an outline. I just have to guess what I look like.” He chuckles and rests his hand on his lap.

Well I got my answer. If he happened to be lying then that's a shame. However, there is something about how he says things that make me believe him.

Is that weird? Believing a stranger so easily. Honestly every word that this person has said has just grabbed my attention. I want to listen to every word that slips past those lips. It tempts me enough that if he were to ask me to stay, I would. Without question.

Lleros does not know me, however, so of course he would not ask me to stay.

“If I may ask,” He says as he plays with fork, “Why are you here? Is it because I freed you? I am honestly pretty sure that you could have broken the rope as well.”

I feel like I should tell him about the chains, but then I would most likely sound insane. Maybe he would believe me since he is a mage. Surely he would believe in unnatural things like that. I just hope he does not consider me to be crazy. I would like to at least keep some image of myself. I know Beatrix would say I should dodge the question to keep myself looking at least a bit interesting.

However, I like this person. Quite a bit actually. I might as well be honest.

“I, uh...this may sound a little strange, but strange chains came out of nowhere and tied me up to a tree.” I say. “I swear it was unnatural. I could not smell anyone nearby so I know I was alone. It was as if snakes had wrapped around me and then I was pulled to a tree by a strong force.”

Lleros tilts his head as he listens to my story.

“I was stuck there for a good bit before I heard singing. I am pretty sure it was your singing.” I huff a small laugh. “Then the hunters came for me. I guess I made too much noise. You know the rest.”

Lleros has a small frown on his face. “I heard your howling. It made me think of that song so I just kind of...started to sing it. I did not think I would find you out here however.”

I just shrug to myself.

“I guess the odds were very much against me. Though, I am grateful for what you did for me. You are my knight in shining armor.” I grin.

Lleros smiles and leans back onto his bed.

“It still does not explain why you came to me after.” He says.

Oh gods. I really don’t want to say it. It will be so embarrassing. Not to mention, I will sound like the biggest stalker. Especially with the fact that there have been random murders in the city. Surely this would only make him connect it with that and then I will never be able to speak with Lleros again.

“I, um...” Quick! Think of something you idiot! Find something that will save us right now! “I smelled the food you were making.” Lies. I smelled that beautifully sweet yet spicy smell that only you give off.

“I see.” Lleros gives a sly smirk while responding.

Wait a minute. He was not cooking yet when he saw me! Gods dammit. I am the absolute biggest embarrassment in all of Thymestrys. Please gods. Any god out there who is witnessing this absolute mess, please smite me now. I am begging you!

“Well, I am glad the prince approves of my cooking.” He gives a genuine smile before reaching for my bowl.

He takes his bowl as well and walks outside. I hear him walk away and then I hear nothing. How far away is he walking?

Is there a stream nearby? There must be. Does he bathe in it? I would not mind seeing that. What would it be like to join him? My skin against his soft skin. It must be wonderful with the way he is. Especially with the way he moves. It is almost as if he just knows how gorgeous he is.

He said he couldn't see an outline of himself, so maybe that is just the way he walks? I know there aren't any men here that walk like that.

I hope Lleros does not get messed around with in Avelin. He says most places do not want him around their properties. Does that also mean that walking in the streets is just as awful?

Oh! I know just the thing! It will be the perfect way to repay Lleros for saving my life. I just have to convince him to come back to the city. He will have to be there if I am to do this.

Perhaps I could have it done in my name instead? It will mean that I can make it a surprise. That could be pretty fun. However, I do not really want him staying out here in the woods by himself.

Lleros could most likely take care of himself, he killed four men and it looks as though he goes hunting while he is here. That is just insanely wild to me. A blind man is hunting in the woods by himself. That is just asking for trouble.

Now, the big question is if he will actually want to leave this place?

Surely an actual home to himself would sound appealing to him.

When he finally returns, he places the now clean bowls under his bed.

Now...how does one just casually ask the hunter living in the woods to move into a house in the city?

“What is your name anyways?” Lleros asks.

He sits on his bed and watches me.

“Uh...Laneer.” I say. Not sure why I feel nervous all of a sudden. Shouldn’t he know my name already? I believe that if he wanted to know my name, he should give me his real name. I would like to become closer with him so I am positive that if he ditched the false name, then we'd be able to become good friends!

“If I may ask,” I say while leaning on my elbow to face him properly, ”what is your name? I could tell you were lying when you gave the name Lleros.

Well. The Serendian did not like that. Not. One. Bit.

Lleros smile disappears before he launches himself at me and pins me down by straddling my chest and holding a blade to my neck.

Not going to lie. This made me both terrified and aroused.

How he managed to move that fast for such a small person is beyond me.

“Who are you really?” Lleros grits out while pressing the blade even more. “Did my mama send you? Has Natzalia finally placed a bounty on my head?”

I just try to calm down and not provoke this person in any way.

“No. Nobody sent me. I swear it.” I lift my hands in surrender. Apparently that was a bad idea.

Lleros swipes with the blade and cuts along the back of my hand.

“Stop moving.” He snarls. “Who sent you?”

Ok. I am more scared than aroused now.

“I swear nobody sent me, Lleros. I just had a feeling that it was not your name. I promise I have no intention to hurt you. That is the exact opposite of what I want with you.”

Lleros just stares down at me with his eyes narrowed.

I change my mind. I am still a bit turned on by this.

He almost looks like he is about to push the blade into my neck and end my life. Instead, he pushes himself off of me and backs away.

“I’m sorry.” He bows his head. “I just assumed that maybe you were sent by someone. I did not really believe you when you said you found me because of my...cooking.”

I just laugh and rub on my neck.

“If it makes you feel better. I did lie about that.” I say. Lleros just tilts his head to the side in confusion. He reminds me of a dog when he does that.

“I, um…” Shit! What in the world did I just get myself into now? “I was just attracted to your charm.” I try to play it off as a joke. Lleros at least laughs at it. Does that mean it worked? That pretty much wasn't a lie at all. That was as truthful as it gets.

Lleros puts his blade away. “I guess I am glad I can charm the Prince of Avelin. I just...I thought maybe you were trying to capture me. You were always in the Unicorn’s Blood. I did not think much on that simply because there are many regulars there. However, next thing I know, you are out here in the woods. I apparently have to save you from a few deadbeat hunters and magical chains that turn into rope, and then you come to my home? It was a bit suspicious. Unless I was just stupid and overreacted. If that is the case...I am sorry for almost killing you.”

He reaches under his bed and pulls out a cloth to bandage my hand. I smile as he ties it but not enough for it to hurt. The little things like that make him cute.

“If it makes you feel any better, you technically saved my life twice now.” I pull the blankets with me as I stand. I really need to get out of bed. “However, I would not mind learning your real name.”

I try to say that in the nicest way I can. He can't see me smile so I hope he knows I am only asking in the most friendly way possible.

The Serendian purses his lips in thought. He does not really look at me. While he thinks it over, he just stares off into nothing. It is a bit interesting to me. I do not really know anyone else like that.

“Yinx.” He whispers. I almost ask him to say it again because he said it so quietly.

“Yinx?” I test the name. “It rhymes with minx!”

Yinx rolls his eyes and smiles. “Yes, I suppose so.”

“May I ask where the name Lleros came from?”

Yinx actually blushes at the question.

“You can’t make fun of me for this,” He says, “but it is the name of my stuffed camel. It was my favorite toy when I was younger.”

I try to keep my laughter hidden, but I just can’t. That is so precious.

“I said not to make fun of me!” He swats at my chest.

I just laugh harder. “I swear I am not! That is just the cutest thing! Taking the name of your own stuffed animal? Never heard of that before.”

Yinx pouts before he begins to laugh with me.

“Yes, it is pretty dumb. I won’t lie. Everyone but Irene know me as Lleros.” He says.

That makes me pretty happy.

“I will only call you Yinx in private then.” I smile.

Yinx raises an eyebrow and smirks at me. “Is the Prince saying that I will be seeing him again? An outsider like me? Oh my! I never expected to get a prince to fall for little old me.”

I feel myself blush but I try to play along with him. “Of course! Shouldn’t princes try to bring in all the pretty princesses from other lands?”

Yinx’s smirk disappears for just a second before he pastes it on again. “I believe you called me a knight in shining armor before.”

He is hiding something else, obviously. Like why he was using a false name or why his mother would have sent someone for him. I would push for it, but I already gave him a small scare. I might as well wait for another time. That is if we happen to become close friends. He can tell me on his own time.

I hope we can be friends after. I enjoy talking with him. Sure I would have liked to meet him in better circumstances. Mainly with some clothes, but this is nice too.

“Of course you are! A bad-ass one too! I doubt anyone else would ever willingly walk close to a werewolf like me. Not before making sure I am dead of course.”

“It helps that I kind of knew who you were thanks to your outline.” he smiles. “Why would a prince hanging out in some lowly tavern, anyway? It is not even the best one in the city. Far from that actually.”

So many questions to dodge. This is getting hard.

I cough to give myself a small bit of time to think. “Well. The prince life can be quite boring. I am pretty much always looking for excuses to get out of the castle. I hate it in there.”

Yinx just nods but he looks a bit confused.

“I guess when you are around all of that for so long, you get bored of it rather quickly.” I say.

“Is it lonely?” Yinx asks. "You do not have any siblings, right?"

I just give a small nod. Then I remember he probably can’t see that. “Yeah I don't and it can be very lonely. I at least made a friend outside of the castle walls. Beatrix is her name. She is an absolute badass.” I chuckle. “She convinced me to accept contracts with her.”

“Contracts?” Yinx frowns.

“Just small things. Taking care of bandit raids, finding a missing citizen, collecting wood for a family. You should know, there aren’t any bounties for anyone named Yinx.” I smile.

He nods and messes with the bottom of his fur vest. "Those don't seem like small things honestly."

I think I can ask a good question to lead into my plan.

“Do you get lonely? Out here? You are pretty far away from any signs of human life. The closest man-made thing is the Morgoren shrine.”

At the mention of the shrine, Yinx’s face seems to slip away any signs of emotion. I guess he isn't a follower?

He speaks anyway. “Yes, it can be quite lonely, but it is better than anywhere else to stay in Avelin.” Perfect!

Well...not perfect. I wish it wasn’t like that at all for him, but still. This makes this a bit easier.

“You should come with me! I could get you your own property! You would never have to worry about someone kicking you out again.” I say and almost drop my blanket in my excitement.

Yinx just shakes his head but smiles. “I am afraid that your father would not be happy if he were to learn that a Serendian owned land in his city. Plus, I would not wish to waste your resources or time.”

I just about laugh. “Do not worry about resources. If it makes you feel better, I could put it under my name, or I could ask my friend, Beatrix to put her name instead. I just hope you wouldn’t mind having to possibly share a house with her. I know she can be quite loud in her sleep.”

Yinx bites his lip as he thinks things over.

“I can’t accept this! How would I ever be able to repay you? That would cost a fortune! I would never be able to pay you back. What if your friend does not like me? I do not want to be a bother.” He stands and starts to pace in what little room we have.

Careful not to get in his way, I move to sit on his bed.

“Fine, I will put it in my name then.” I say and then I get the perfect idea on how to lure him in. “You should let your friend join you. Irene. You both would then be safe and free of Damond. If you do not want it for yourself, at least do it for your friend. You can simply come back here if you do not like it.”

Yinx crosses his arms and actually pouts. “That was low. Even for you.”

For a second I think I actually hurt his feelings, but then he smiles and then rushes towards me and gives me a hug. A hug!

“Thank you! I’ll try to repay you for this. I swear!” He says and I can just hear the smile in his voice. "Is there a reason you are doing this?"

I hug him back and try to get a good whiff of his scent. “Well, you saved me so you can think of this as a token of my gratitude. Nothing more.”

Oh but it is so much more.

Copyright © 2018 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 5
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..