Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,437 Words
  • 977 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Tragedy of Yinx - 9. Old Friends

The Ancient Ones

The little one has heard our call again.

It has been quite some time since we last saw from him. Will he allow us to serve once again?

Yinx leaves his companions and walks through the forest. He follows our call.

We made sure that no one could bother us. Hopefully he will not be cross with our decision?

No of course not. He has never been cross with us. He said that he considered us his friends. Yinx said to never think he is angry with us.

Does he lie? He did tell us to go back to his family. Maybe he did not want us near him anymore.

Yinx glances behind him before summoning two small chained scythes.

Strange...has he forgotten who we are? Surely it has not been that long.

“Show yourself.” He says calmly.

We do as we are told. We remove the shadows and we appear before him.

The three of us look down at him. He simply stares at our legs.

“It is us, Master. Do you not remember?” We say.

Yinx looks confused. Does he not wish to see us again? He said we were friends.

“I thought I told you to go back home.” He says.

Oh, the Master is confused. “Your Mother sent us. She made us promise that we would find you.”

Yinx narrows his eyes. “Why would she send you? Are you here to kill me?”

“Of course not! We would never harm a member of the Dunbrali family. You know we are sworn to protect you.”

“Well then why the hell did my Mother send you? What other reason would she send you for?”

Strange. He is not cross with us...but with his Mother. Does this mean we are still friends?

“She only wanted us to protect you. We will do so without question.”

Yinx still looks very confused. Not as mad, but still confused. Is our presence that confusing? He knows we have been made to protect the family since the dawn of time.

“Well, I guess it is nice to have you with me again.” He says.

“Did you miss us, Master? We missed you!” We say. Steam escapes through our shoulders from our excitement.

Yinx sighs before nodding. “I told you not to call me that.”

“Ah yes. Forgive us. It has been a long time, Yinx. Almost seven years!”

Yinx purses his lips but stays silent. Have we said something wrong?

He looks so much different than what we remember. He has grown. Of course he has. He is a human. It is just fascinating seeing the changes.

We thought that maybe he would not grow like the others. The Moon god had marked him after all.

“I am traveling home with others,” Yinx says. “You will need to keep yourselves hidden. I will manage fine without you this time.”

“Very well, but are we allowed to help if it is absolutely necessary?”

Yinx nods.

It is very strange seeing him with that weapon. We would think that he would try to find things that are not related to his family. He ran from it after all.

He seems...angry. He no longer shows the happiness in his features. His eyes are not as wide as they could be, his smile does not seem real. Has the years away done that much?

What could he be angry with? Surely it is not about the boy from the river? That was years ago. We only stopped for about two days. No human would make a connection that quickly. It must be something else.

“Is everything alright?” We ask.

Yinx frowns before answering. “I am fine.”

That is a lie. It is not our place to ask such questions, but we are worried. Something is wrong. We are supposed to fix things in the family of Dunbrali. How can we fix what he does not share?

“If there is something troubling you, know that we are always here for you.”

He sighs. “I said I am fine. Please stop asking things like that now. I heard it enough already. I need to head back. Unless you have any other news that I need to know?”

This is so strange. Yinx used to always want to talk to us. He would constantly talk anything and everything. Now he is just...different. He is pushing us away. We do not like it.

“No. We do not.” We say, a bit defeated.

Yinx nods and turns back from where he came.

We allow the shadows to surround us once again, and follow behind him.

~~
~~

Laneer

Yinx stands in the middle of a circle of trees.

He is speaking to someone. Or something.

Three gigantic, machine-like knights stand in front of Yinx.

I swear I have seen those in a book somewhere. Automatons should be their name. How did Yinx find these?

They are absolutely terrifying to look at. I am not saying that they look scary, they actually look amazing, but they just look so menacing.

Giant machines that stand about three times the size of Yinx? Their hands alone look as though they could cover him completely. I would rather run.

They are tall and big. Wide shoulders, giant arms, and their metal bodies look as if they have never been dented in their life. There are silver lines that snake around the edges of their armor. Strange symbols are written on their shoulder pads. They weirdly look familiar to me.

I think their helmets are what make them creepy. Two white dots glow where their eyes should be.

Yinx has an interesting weapon in his hands.

Two small scythes are in his hands. A long chain connects the handles together.

Did they give him that weapon? I would assume so.

The biggest question here is why is Yinx out here speaking to strange machines?

I do not hear them talking back, but their arms move as if they are expressing themselves.

This is so strange to watch.

Yinx turns away from them and starts to walk back towards the camp.

I debate on hiding, but I know he will move likely see me when he gets too close.

Instead, I walk out in the middle of his path. It should seem as if I was following him, which I was. I just happened so see something interesting and decided to investigate.

I wanted to make sure he did not run away. Which he did not. I am glad that he didn’t.

Yinx looks up as he gets closer to me. “Oh Laneer! Sorry if I scared everyone. I got lost.”

Oh he wants to hide what I just saw?

“Yeah...We were a bit worried that maybe you ran off without us.” I say.

Yinx chuckles and grabs my arm. “I would not dream of it. Care to walk me back? There are roots everywhere.”

I let him grab onto my elbow and guide him slowly back to the group. A little too slowly, honestly. I may have done that on purpose. This might be a once in a lifetime thing, dammit!

“Laneer?” Yinx says along the way.

“Yes?”

He bites his lip before speaking, “Let’s say there is an old friend who was mean to you for almost your entire life. You grow a great hatred towards them and anytime you think about them, you just get bad memories. One day, after many years, they send...a gift. What would your thoughts be on that?”

This is interesting...is this about the machines? Are they friends? Wait a minute. What happened to the machines? I did not check to see if they were still there.

“Laneer?” Yinx tries to call my attention.

“Oh! Uh, sorry. I was thinking of an answer.” This seems rather specific. I do not have any friends like that. I might be the wrong person to ask this. Yinx wants an answer from me though. I have to think of something.

“It’s fine if you do not have an answer.” He says. He sounds a bit disappointed however.

“No I think I have an idea.” I say, quickly. ”Um...I believe...that it would be best to not let those past experiences affect your opinion of that person. You said the ‘gift’ was sent many years later, right?” He nods. “So I am sure a lot could have changed between all those years. Maybe they are sorry for whatever they have done? I know I would feel sorry for ever hurting your feelings.”

Yinx rolls his eyes but smiles. “Aren’t you a charmer.”

I grin. “Well, only for those special kinds of people.” Is that the right thing to say? Oh gods. Beatrix I need your help.

Yinx giggles. That is the second time he has giggled like that. Oh gods.

“Believe me. I am not special.” He says.

I frown. “Then I won’t believe you. You are not at all like anyone I have met.”

Yinx raises an eyebrow. “Is this because I offered you a duck the first time we met?”

I laugh. “Yes, of course. You must have done something to the duck. Now I can’t seem to get you out of my mind.” I have no idea what I am doing. I am just kind of rolling with my gut and hoping for the best.

“Oh really? I hope they are not bad thoughts.” He turns to me and runs his hand along my chest armor. He then whispers close to my ear, “I would hate to distract you during our little trek.”

Instantly blood rushes to my head and to my cock. I seriously hope these pants are thick enough to hide what this is doing to me.

Where did this even come from? Was it something I said? I didn’t mean to lead him on that strong!

“I-I...no! No bad thoughts at all. O-Only goods ones.” I trip over my own words.

Yinx smiles and steps back. “Oh, Laneer. You are too sweet. Twice now this has happened, and neither time you have pushed me against something and tried to have your way with me.”

I frown and shake my head. “I-I would never!”

“I know you wouldn’t. Well, I was not too sure before, but now...you are not like most people. I like that about you. You are truthfully nice.”

I...do not know how I feel about this. He was testing me...to see if I was nice?

“What if I did what others have done?” I ask, a little hurt, but also afraid for him. “You would just let yourself be used like that?”

Yinx frowns and starts walking again. “It is not that I want to be used. It is about getting things to work in my favor. You think I managed to get anything from a paying job? Nobody wants to hire a Serendian. The only thing they will not deny is a warm body to sleep with. That is what I have learned to do to survive.”

“You say all these things in such a calm voice, as if this is just small thing. This is very much not a small thing, Yinx. You could get hurt!”

Yinx just shrugs to himself. “I have already made my peace with it. So has every other person in Avelin.”

This starting to sound as if he has done this with quite a few people. I really do not like hearing this. Not only me, however. The wolf hates this conversation. He considers Yinx his. As if Yinx is his property.

“I would not want you to go through that ever again.” I whisper, maybe more so to myself. I want to protect Yinx.

He just laughs. “It is not all bad, honestly. If you think it happens often, you are wrong. If you could not tell, I also hunt in the woods around the city. Sure, I would use the money earned for food, but that rarely happens. Irene was also there to make sure that I would have food in my stomach, so all is well.”

I honestly do not know what to say. Part of me wants to tell Yinx that he never has to do such a thing again, but he enjoys it? The other part of me, the wolf, wants to run back to the city and kill anyone who happens to know the Serendian’s false name.

“I take it from your silence that you are thinking too much.” Yinx says. “Just relax. I honestly have not done anything in about a year. I was only giving you some insight into my life. I’ve….Irene told me that I should try to make more friends. I guess have very little experience with that. Sorry if I made you uncomfortable.”

I guess that is good news. I actually smile at the last comment. “Well, she is not wrong. Maybe some topics should be shared at a later date. However, I like to think that we are already friends.”

Yinx smiles at that and we finally reach the group again.

“Ugh! Finally!” Beatrix groans. “We have wasted precious daylight because of you two. If you are going to makeout in the woods, at least do it at night when we are camping.”

Well, that is a nice thought.

“Sorry. I just could not get my hands off of him. Had to have him then and there.” Yinx laughs and picks up his bag.

Everyone else laughs at his little joke except me. Instead, my face turns the color of a tomato.

~~
~~

We continue to walk throughout the day.

Every now and then, we find other travelers. Some give us directions for a safer path, others offer food.

We decline of course, though I never realized just how nice people are to each other out here.

In Avelin, everyone is full of themselves and considers their own life more important than anyone else's. That is, until they see me or my Father.

I am sure the people of Avelin could learn a thing or two out here.

Most of the people out here are farmers. They are bringing their carts full of goods to Avelin. None of them recognize me which I am more than happy with that.

Yinx does not talk to these people however. If anything, he seems to try and avoid them as if they carry a plague. He tucks himself close behind me and lets me do all the talking.

Some try to speak with him, but as soon as they see his eyes, it is as if they know that he should be left alone.

It is strange.

While I am glad he uses me as some sort of shield, he should be not afraid or shy. I know that can be seen as rude to many people’s eyes.

The sun sets rather quickly and so we decide to setup camp near a small river.

Everyone is busy setting up everything, when Beatrix curses out loud.

“Gods dammit!” She groans.

“What is it?” Nelga asks and walks over to Beatrix.

Beatrix sighs and rolls her eyes. “I forgot my tent back in Avelin.”

“You could sleep with us!” Nelga says.

Her brother shakes his head. “We do not have room.”

“You could share with me, Beatrix.” I say, my tent already finished.

“Or mine.” Yinx says while setting up a campfire.

Beatrix purses her lips. “No offense, but I’d rather not share with you boys. Would it be too much to ask if you both could share and I get a tent to myself? A lady could use her privacy.”

Oh...I see what she is doing. The damn she-devil. We sleep in the same tent all the time!

“Sure.” Yinx rubs his hands together from the cold. “You can use mine.”

Beatrix smirks at me before turning to Yinx. “Why thank you! You are just so kind! I hope this will not be an issue.”

“Not at all.” I mumble.

Yinx uses a flint and steel to light a fire. He also pulls out more bread and some cheeses.

“I can try and hunt tomorrow.” He says while he cuts the cheese to split among the five of us. “I am sure none of you would like to just survive on breads and cheese the whole trip.”

“Do you need one of us to go with you?” Nalgon asks.

Yinx just shakes his head and passes the food around on small wooden plates. I am pretty sure he made these himself.

There is not much chatter. Everyone is tired from the full day of walking. My legs feel a bit wobbly but I should be fine. Maybe a day to rest would be nice later on.

As soon as everyone finishes their plates, they immediately fall into their tents to sleep. All except me and Yinx.

Yinx just messes with the fire, trying to keep it alive, I just let the cool night air try and distract me from the fact that I will be sleeping right next to Yinx.

This time it will be on the same ground level, and we will be a lot closer.

Gods help me.

“I am sure I can find somewhere else to sleep if it will make you more comfortable.” Yinx says as he sits back on his elbows.

“You know I would not let you do that.” I frown. “I just hope you will be comfortable.”

He smiles and shakes his head. “You can stop being nice to me now. I get it. I saved you from some hunters, but you don’t need to do all this. I can manage the rest of the way just fine by myself.”

“I have a feeling you don’t realize that this is not because you saved me. You are my friend, Yinx. I want to help you get to your home. I am not faking anything. I swear on my own Mother that I am not lying.”

He stares into the fire and purses his lips.

“I do not know what you have gone through,” I say, “but I promise I would not do anything on purpose that would harm your trust.”

He stays silent for a few moments before he stands. “Goodnight, Laneer.” He walks to my tent and disappears.

I just sit out here for a few minutes longer. Mostly keeping an eye on the fire. Making sure it dies down properly. I am also giving time for Yinx to fall asleep.

He is rather strange. I thought my words would have set him at ease, but I feel like maybe I said the wrong thing?

After maybe thirty minutes in the cold, I decide that it is probably best that I get in the tent.

I try to be as quiet as I can and slowly push myself into the tent.

Yinx is sleeping with his parka on but he is not inside of his sleeping bag. I guess he was too tired to do that?

I lay down on my side and just stare at the top of the tent. Not going to lie, I am afraid to even breathe right now.

What if I wake him? I don’t want to be an annoying tent partner. I haven’t even taken my chest armor off. It is just digging into me in the most uncomfortable way possible.

I glance at Yinx, but he just breathes slowly.

Maybe I can do this.

I reach for the straps on my shoulders and unbuckle them. I cringe everytime they make a noise. Yinx still sleeps.

I reach for the straps on my side and unbuckle those. He still sleeps.

Now I lift myself and ease the armor over my head. That makes an agonizing amount of noise. The buckles just start flying all over the place and knocking into the metal.

As slowly as possible, I lay the armor next to me and turn to Yinx.

He has turned in my direction but his eyes are still closed. He is so much closer now.

I turn back to facing the top of the tent.

I’m sleeping so close to him. I can manage this! Nothing is going to happen, Laneer. Sure you hug pillows while you sleep, but tonight, and every other night, you will keep your hands to yourself.

I swear the wolf inside is fighting me to pull Yinx closer and hold him while he sleeps. That will be highly inappropriate. I can do this.

Come on, Laneer. Hands to yourself. Don’t screw this up.

Copyright © 2018 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I hope Laneer's Mother is in the Mountains some where and his Father did not have her killed. It also seems strange that Laneer's Father is 'busy'. I too hope that he is okay and that a Coup is not happening or anything. Only because of what that would mean for Laneer. I also feel really sorry for the Protectors. They seem so nice and it is sad that they feel the loss of their 'friend'. I hope Yinx ends up fixing it with them. They are not his Mother. Thank You!

Edited by Buz
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..