Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,429 Words
  • 1,657 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Tragedy of Yinx - 15. The Heart of the Serendian Desert

Laneer

Yinx and I are waiting for the rest of the group to meet up at the point on the map. From what it shows, we should reach the desert in about an hour.

This will be interesting!

As soon as we had left the outer ring of white trees, Yinx’s eyes slowly dulled down to the pale versions of before.

I am not sure if it is because I am stupid, but I had already gotten used to the green eyes. Well, not used to them, but close enough to feel like they were normal.

Yinx’s mood has definitely changed as soon as we left. No doubt it is about how his sight is gone, but I can tell that there is something else.

I am pretty sure it doesn’t have anything to do with me. He is holding my hand so that must mean something.

We are at a small little town. It has only a few buildings, one of which look like a stable full of camels.

“Should we get some camels for the rest of the trip?” I ask.

Yinx looks up at me, frowns and looks back to stare ahead. “Yeah, sure. That would be nice.”

I reach out and brush my finger against his cheek.

“What’s the matter?” I ask

He purses his lips and lets out a sigh. “I tried to see your face but I couldn’t. I already regret leaving.”

I frown and lean down to kiss his cheek. That at least manages to get a small smile from him.

“I have an idea!” I say.

“What is it?”

“How about,” I wrap an arm around his shoulders, “when we finish all that is needed to be done here, we can go back to Drulai and just stay there for a few days. Just you and me!”

He smirks and leans against me. “That would be nice. However, I’m still not sure if I am going back to Avelin, Laneer.”

Dammit. I forgot that may have been a problem.

“Why would you want to stay here? I thought you did not want to come back.” I say.

“I don’t,” he says, “but I’m not sure if I will be allowed to leave.”

“Allowed to leave? Why would you not be allowed to leave? If they try to keep you hostage, just know, I will fight them to get you out.”

He laughs and shakes his head. “Not because of them.”

“Then why?” I ask. I want Yinx to come back to Avelin with me. If not there, then literally anywhere else. Preferably Drulai. Could we even live there? Maybe not. It might come across as disrespectful to the goddess.

“Just a feeling that I have.” He shrugs. “Maybe it has something to do with the gods? I am not sure.”

I shiver at that.

What is that even like? Having two gods following your every move. Watching you. Both trying to win you over in some strange contest. I just wish I understood what was the endgame for it.

Yinx said they wanted him to become something called a champion, so they clearly want to use him as a weapon. What could they possibly see him for that? Don’t get me wrong, Yinx is special and amazing at everything but when I look at him, I don’t exactly picture a warrior fit for the gods in my head.

Sure I’ve seen him fight, but that was only against three archers. What could he possibly do that would make a bunch of gods fight to make him their champion?

After about two hours of waiting, we finally see Beatrix and the twins. Beatrix has a new scar along her cheek and the twins all have bruises and dents in their armor.

“What happened?” I quickly rush over to look them over.

Beatrix just waves me off. Yinx offers her a drink of water and she takes the cup and downs it in one go.

“We got attacked in the middle of the night.” She says and sits down on the ground. “Don’t worry. Nobody who left their mark on me is still alive.”

I chuckle and look at the twins. “Thank you for keeping her alive. I don’t know what I would do without her honestly.”

Beatrix rolls her eyes. “How was the forest? Any pixies mess with you while you were in there?”

“Nope.” I smile and glance at Yinx. “It was actually quite nice in there.”

She narrows her eyes. “Really? It was nice...in a dead forest?”

“Yup! If we all travel back together, I would very much recommend joining us.”

She raises an eyebrow and glances at Yinx.

“If you say so.” She shrugs. “If I may ask, how much longer are we walking? I don’t think I can handle another three days of this.”

“Lucky for you, we are renting some camels.” Yinx says, “We should reach the city by dinner time.”

“Dinner time?” I frown. “We are not even in the desert yet. How could we possibly be that close already.”

Yinx gives another of those smiles that just says he knows things.

“Magic.” He says.

You know...before, maybe I would not have been that excited, but after walking through the forest, I think I am a bit more open towards it.

He turns to everyone else. “I am going to assume everyone else here does not have a terrible opinion on magic. I would hate it if you traveled all this way for nothing.”

Everyone shakes their head. I am not sure about the twins, but I know Beatrix is not a big fan of magic.

If someone is lying, I can’t really tell. I would not doubt that everyone has the heart to turn around and make the trip by themselves.

“Good!” Yinx smiles.

~~~
~~~

After what sounded like quite the argument between Yinx and the stable owner, I only had to pay sixty gold for four of his camels.

I didn’t really understand what was being said, but Yinx seemed scary. Just when it looked like maybe the man wouldn’t budge, Yinx took a deep breathe, calmed his voice down and that was that. Somehow it instantly won the man over.

I mean I wouldn’t have mind paying in full, but I guess this is fine too.

After a few attempts, Yinx finally manages to teach us how to get onto our camels. I could tell that Nalgon was getting a bit embarrassed about how much he was failing, but Yinx was patient and helped him.

Beatrix and Nelga however, not so kind or patient.

“Come on, ya big ogre! We haven’t got all day!” Nelga shouts ahead of everyone. Beatrix just snickers next to her.

“There we go! Just lean back when he starts to stand.” Yinx says. Nalgon almost falls right off as the camel starts to stand on its hind legs.

Again, the girls laugh. I have to hide my smile. It is pretty funny seeing a giant soldier struggling with this.

“Good. Now he is going to stand on his front legs so lean forward a bit.” Yinx steps back and waits for Nalgon.

When we finally get Nalgon ready, Yinx gets to the front to lead us.

I had asked why he wasn’t getting a camel, he said he was going to lead us and that would make traveling together a lot easier.

Not entirely sure what that means but I still feel bad. He has to walk.

Yinx reaches into his bag and passes around a bunch of scarf-like wraps to protect us from the sun.

He has given me a nice, red one that looks the most taken care of out of the bunch. I think he gave that one to me on purpose.

He shows us a few ways to cover our heads and faces. Again, Nalgon struggles. He even drops it a few times but Yinx does not complain and picks it up to help him.

I think this is my favorite part of this desert experience. I get to smell Yinx the whole time. Surely that means today will be a good day?

Once everyone is good and ready, Yinx takes to the lead and guides using my camel. The other camels seem to know what is going on because they start following instantly.

Wow! I am riding a camel in the desert. I never thought I would be doing something like this!

Sure, I am being led by a blind man, but it’s the small things like that, that make it all the better!

~~~
~~~

Two hours later and I have already changed my mind. I hate camels. My ass feels like it is sitting on needles right now and my back feels like it is being straightened with a metal bar. Obviously I wasn’t going to complain out loud, but it didn’t stop everyone else from doing it.

Beatrix just groans every now and then. Nelga groans back as if they are speaking a special language, and Nalgon...well he seems to be enjoying this more than everyone.

I thought that maybe this would offend Yinx, but apparently he finds it hilarious.

“Your bodies just aren’t used to them.” He laughs.

Beatrix groans again. “Yeah? Well I am never going to get used to them. I am never riding another damn camel again.”

We all laugh at that. Yeah I think I can agree with her. Who’s idea was this anyway?

Oh. Right. It was mine...

Yinx says it is best to move with the flow of the camel, to just try and relax your spine. That somewhat makes it better, but not a lot. Why do they move side to side so much? Do they always wobble around like this? It sure is different from a horse.

Another thing that is very much big here is that it is unbelievably hot.

People choose to live here? Surely there are those who would at least find the Drulai forest better than this. Maybe the animals scare them?

No, of course not. We are in the land of magic users and demon worshipers.

I sure hope Yinx isn’t involved with that group of individuals. Why would you want to strike a contract with a demon? They always have things hidden in their sleeves. They are wild and like to mess with things they shouldn't. I have never heard of them ever killing anyone, but they sure do like to curse us.

Just look at me. I got stuck with the aftermath of a contract. Fun times for me! Not.

I am some dumb werewolf who has had to hide who he is from everyone. All of a sudden a cute Serendian comes into my life and now I never feel the wolf’s constant hunger.

I frown at the memory of last night’s nightmare. Shouldn’t I have forgotten it by now? Usually you forget dreams as soon as you wake up. I can remember everything.

The cold of the winter night, the heat of the campfire, the aching feeling of silver, and the screams. Gods the screams.

I get chills just thinking about them. They didn’t sound anything like that night I found Yinx curled up on the ground. Yet they sounded like they could only come from him.

That is my worst fear. Killing someone I care about. With how much closer I have gotten with Yinx, it would end me. I would not be able to live on.

There was another voice in the dream. A deeper voice that I know I have never heard before. It kept saying things. Things that constantly run through my mind.

I watch Yinx in front of me. He keeps walking with the camel’s trailing behind him. Ignoring the chatter of the group.

Am I just overthinking things again? I feel like something between us changed in a good way, yet my mind had played tricks in my sleep. Maybe I am just incredibly insecure, but I can’t help but feel like those words were true.

My wolf has been silent for too long. Long enough that it should be worrying. What if it does decide to attack? I could hurt Yinx.

Let's say that one day we might possibly get married and live together, and that would be a gigantic might, there is still a giant possibility of me hurting him. I could lose control and the wolf may try to kill Yinx. I can’t let that happen.

Yinx glances back at me and I swear his eyes are smiling at me. Is it strange that I can picture the green eyes?

I smile back. He turns around and keeps leading us on.

Should I end this before it’s too late? Maybe. Have we already reached far enough that I just can’t let him go? Yes…yes we have.

Now I wish I followed Beatrix’s rules of never getting attached.

I am too conflicted to keep going. It does not help that Yinx seems interested as well. Again, there is that problem where I am not sure if he is using me or not. He has grown in a world where saying the right things can get you exactly what you want.

There are those moments where it just feels too good to be true. It just...it scares me. I am getting too attached way too fast. I don’t know what has gotten into me. I have never been this attracted to someone.

Would this be considered normal to people? Finding that one person that just feels so right to be with. So right to the point that you just...want to confess your love to them and ask them for marriage?

I have only known him for about...ten days? Yeah, that seems about right. So clearly that must mean that it is far too early to be thinking such thoughts.

“We’re here!” Yinx calls out.

I frown and look around.

All I see is sand, sand, and oh look! More sand. Well that is a bit of an exaggeration. There is a yellow-stoned pillar here.

“Uh...are you sure? There isn’t a sign of life here, Yinx.” I say. Maybe his blindness has gotten us lost? Oh gods. That sounds like a huge mess. I haven’t really been paying attention honestly.

Yinx says something to the camel and pushes it’s neck to get it to stop moving.

“Do I get off?” I ask. I should probably look at the map again. Maybe if we are lucky, it will show something about this pillar.

“You can only really get off when the camel is sitting down, but no. You do not need to get off.” Yinx smiles and brings the rest of the camels to stand together side by side.

“Just give me a second.” He says.

Beatrix and the twins all look at me with confused looks. I just shrug.

“Yinx,” Beatrix starts, “I am not sure if it is because you are blind, but there isn’t a city anywhere near here as far as the eye can see.”

He turns to her and smirks. “Exactly.”

Yinx reaches for his bag that is hanging on my camel’s side. He practically shoves his entire arm in there but it doesn’t even budge.

I...I’m just not going to question it.

He pulls out a medium-sized jar of blue powder. He takes it and walks back in front of us.

With the powder, he starts to dump it into a large circle in front of us. As soon as that is complete, he begins to make lines inside the circle.

“What is he doing?” Nelga whisper shouts to Beatrix. She is two camels away from me. Nelga does not know how to whisper.

Yinx just laughs before stepping back from his work. “Does this look right to any of you?”

It looks like a circle with random lines inside of it. I am not sure what this is even supposed to look like honestly.

“Uh...are you sure you know what you are doing?” Nalgon asks.

Yinx laughs again. That is starting to get worrying.

“I was just joking.” He smiles before placing a handful of power in his hand. He balances the jar on his leg and screws the lid back on. After throwing it back into his bag, he stands in the middle of the circle and places half of the powder into his other hand.

“Last chance for anyone too scared of magic.” He says, turning to look at us. “Nobody?” No answers. “Good!”

He turns back around and claps his hands together. The blue powder erupts in his hands and what looks like a ripple of blue energy opens in front of him. With both hands, he uses his pointer and middle fingers to trace out a symbol that floats in strange magic window. It looks like two S’s mirrored together with two lines split down the middle.

The symbol burns a bright orange and floats in front of Yinx. The energy ripples have disappeared.

Yinx says something in a language I do not know and places both his hands back to back in front of his chest as if he is about to swim. He pushes them forward into the middle of the symbol and then he slowly begins to spread his hands horizontally.

The symbol disappears and a small portal takes its place.

The portal spreads in size and then we can see where it leads to.

It almost looks like another world. It shows what looks to be the exit of a marketplace. I can tell from the two stalls on either side of the portal. Then there are steps that leads up to a gigantic yellow-stoned palace. It is definitely bigger than the castle back at home.

The palace looks to stand at least five stories tall. There are two giant towers on both sides that hold huge banners that wear the symbol Yinx drew. Large pillars frame an entrance. There isn’t even a giant door.

A giant statue stands at the top of the palace. It looks like a moon being held up by a demon? That is...concerning.

People on the other side of the portal have stopped and turned to look at us. They can see us?

“Right.” Yinx sighs. “In we go then.”

He takes my camel again and leads us through the portal. As soon as Nalgon has passed through, Yinx snaps his fingers and the portal closes.

I was right about this being the exit to a marketplace. What looks like over fifty market stalls stand behind us. There are so many people here. Many of them have stopped to stare at us.

Behind the marketplace, there looks to be hundreds of stone buildings that seem to stretch far into the distance. I had thought Avelin was big, but compared to this? I would only laugh.

I turn to Yinx and see a guard is making his way towards us.

“Halt. Show me your papers for crossing into our city.” He says in a deep voice.


Yinx just huffs a laugh and reaches up to take his head wrap off.

What happens next is just incredibly strange.

The guard seems in absolute shock. Other people around us gasp and begin to murmur. What really takes the cake, is that most have begun to get on their knees and pray.

“Forgive me!” He says, “I had no idea!”

I frown. What is happening?

Yinx sighs and looks at me with a roll of his eyes. I am not sure how he can act so casually with all this.

“If you would be so kind as to take these camels to a stable, that would be brilliant.” He says.

He turns to us and pats each of the camel’s necks while making some sound. It must be something the camels always hear because they all sit down on the ground immediately.

Yinx offers his hand to me. “This is where we walk.” He smiles.

I narrow my eyes and take his hand.

“What is going on here?” I whisper.

Yinx rolls his eyes. “I’ll tell you when we don’t have so many eyes watching us.”

I nod and everyone quickly gets their stuff.

Well, I guess I am finally here at Yinx’s home. Just where exactly is his home exactly? There are so many buildings here, I doubt he still happens to own one. We might get lost before we can even find it in this maze.

Yes, Laneer is a bit on the dumb side with this, but he is MY dumb one so its okay ❤️
Copyright © 2018 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 12/16/2018 at 1:50 PM, NimirRaj said:

Lol Laneer is going to be in for a shock when he learns that Yinx is royalty.

yeah,

 

Yinx is lying by omission - never a good thing. hope they can work it out

 

and WTF-one comment before this one!? come on folks, show JuJu some love!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..