Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,281 Words
  • 1,115 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Tragedy of Yinx - 11. Lights Out

Natzalia Dunbrali

“He looks angry to see them.” I say.

“As he should be.” Jeriko says across from me.

I glare at him, but then look back down into the ball of sapphire. It allows us to look through the eyes of the Ancient Ones. Unfortunately, I cannot control what they say.

Why did they have to tell Yinx that I sent them? He even assumed that I had ordered them to kill him. I...maybe I would have, long ago. Still, they should not have mentioned me.

Yinx has grown into quite the young man. He looks so different from what I remember. My little boy is not so little anymore.

I must say, I am surprised he does not have any of the scars I had left all those years ago. No doubt Morgoren had something to do with that.

I am glad they are gone. It is enough to know what I did to Yinx, let alone having to see them all these years later. I will have to thank the Moon God tonight.

“He is really coming back home.” I whisper.

Jeriko sighs and moves to stand next to me. He wraps an arm around my waist.

“If we are lucky, he will want to help us.” He says.

I frown as I watch Yinx in the ball.

He is traveling with a small group of people. I guess that is a good thing. We will probably need as much help as we can get.

Even through the ball, I can tell the redheaded man next to him is a werewolf. Yinx would not let himself be around a man who would make a pact with demon. Right? No of course he wouldn’t. Yinx is smart. He always has been.

Maybe we can make a home for the werewolf. I would not doubt he is lonely from wherever he came from.

“My Queen?” Jeriko says as he squeezes me. “You had better fix things between the both of you. Helgrof would have wanted that as much as I do.”

I purse my lips at the mention of Helgrof.

“I will try.” I say, “I just do not know if he will allow me to mend whatever could be left. We both know I had gone too far, Jeriko. I lost both of our children! How could I possibly fix it with the one I ruined the most?”

Jeriko sits me down on a chair. I still stare into the ball, watching Yinx make his way towards us.

“You were a different person at the time, Natzalia. You let your own pride get the better of you. You are different now. I am sure that if Yinx can see that, he will come back to you with open arms.”

I scoff at his words. “Look at him, Jeriko. Does that look like someone who would open his arms to the one who had ruined his childhood? I think not.”

Jeriko’s silence just proves that I am right. Of course I am right! As much as I wish I could be wrong, there is nothing that will make Yinx forgive me. I could hand him the world on a silver plate and it still would not be enough. And I would not blame him.

If I were him, I would hate me too. I hate myself even now. I let myself do unspeakable things to my own children, so why would I deserve the forgiveness from Yinx?

“We just have to see how things will go.” Jeriko rests his hand on the ball. “He will at least protect his home. I am sure of it.”

I just shake my head and close my eyes.

I have a feeling that will not happen. I just feel it in my bones. Yinx will not save us. Why would he want to?

Surely this place will only trigger horrible memories. He would want it to burn and turn into rubble.

Yinx will let us die. I just know it.

~~~
~~~

Laneer

We have finally arrived at the city of Ezreon. It is a small city that is the closest to Drulai. They are not even that close to the scary woods. They just happen to be the ones that were willing to be this far out from everyone else.

It is dinnertime, so we all decide to go to the city tavern to get something to eat. A nice proper meal would be nice.

Yinx says he will join in a moment and walks into the woods on his own. Everyone just lets him walk off.

I am tempted to follow him, but I really shouldn’t do that. It is creepy and not at all appropriate.

The tavern we go to is called A Dirty Dragon. I honestly thought it would have actually been dirty inside but it was actually quite clean.

There were two rows of tables against the walls, and a small fireplace in the middle.

Beatrix and the twins all order their own food. I get nothing because I am going to try and go on a hunt tonight.

Beatrix looks at me in a curious way as if I am hiding something. It hits her midway through her meal as she looks at me with excited eyes. She practically shoves the rest of her food in her mouth, even if it is scorching hot.

The twins look at her in shock but continue to eat at a normal pace.

“We’ll be back!” Beatrix says as she stands and grabs my arm, pulling me out the door.

The twins just stare after us before shrugging and going back to their food.

I laugh at Beatrix’s enthusiasm and let her pull me into the woods.

“Do we stop here? Or here?” Beatrix constantly asks those questions every ten seconds or so. I just sigh and roll my eyes.

“Calm down will you! I am not even sure if he will come out tonight.”

Beatrix narrows her eyes and looks at me. “What do you mean? I thought he always wants to come out.”

I just shrug. “He has not been so demanding lately. He is just...calm. Maybe it is because we are all traveling together? I’m not sure.”

She looks a bit confused and I don’t blame her. Even I am confused and I have the thing living inside me.

We walk for about twenty minutes or so until it seems far enough to be safe.

There is that fear of losing control again. I always have it. I do not think I will ever feel comfortable with transforming.

It does not help that Beatrix is here this time. It makes it a bit more scary.

Maybe if I transform fully into the wolf, it will be safer? I doubt it, but at least it is not as scary as the hybrid form. I am pretty sure that would freak Beatrix out. At least in the wolf form, I would look somewhat normal.

Sure I’ll be twice the size of a normal wolf, but at least I won’t look as hideous.

“Ok. I guess this is it.” I breathe out and start to remove my clothes. Beatrix turns her back to me. “I guess if you hear me in pain, you can turn around.”

“Does it always hurt to transform?” She asks. I can practically hear the frown in her voice.

“Yeah it hurts a lot. Especially into the wolf form. Turning back into me is not so bad however.”

“Why don’t you just change into your hybrid form then?” She asks. Yes, I have told her about the hybrid form. I have told her everything. Why wouldn’t I? She is my best friend.

That just makes me think about the Automatons I saw with Yinx.

“Beatrix, I saw something yesterday.” I say facing away from her. I pile my clothes together into a bag. It has a long strap that I hope will be able to fit around my neck in wolf form. I would hate to just turn up naked without clothing this time. I will have company now.

“Does this have something to do with Yinx?” She asks.

“Kind of.” I bite my lip. “I saw...giant Automatons in the forest. Yinx was talking to them and they were talking back.”

“Automatons? How did he find those?

I shrug to myself. “No idea. I think they gave him that weapon he used on the bandits earlier today.”

She is silent now. No doubt deep in thought.

When she doesn’t say anything, I try and search for the wolf. I offer some control to him.

Ah, he is there. I wonder why he has been hiding this whole time. He is not mad or sad. He just seems, content. Over what?

Yinx? What does Yinx have to do with this? He is not even here right now. I get that he is nice to be around, but being near him is enough to calm the wolf? That is strange. I am not sure if I should consider that a blessing yet.

I offer control to the wolf once again, the offer of hunting for an hour seems enough to grab his attention.

Warmth spreads across my skin, first an itch then pain.

Bones snap and pop as the wolf begins to take control of my body. It tries to fight for my mind, but I will not let it. I will never let it take full control of me.

I groan and clench my teeth as everything pops and snaps into place. Soon pain flares across my face and I scream in pain.

Midway through the scream, a howl replaces the scream and my skin begins to feel as if tiny scratches are on every point of my body.

Fur spreads across my skin and then the transformation is finished.

I still have control. That is all that matters.

I look back at Beatrix and see shock and fear on her face.

Carefully, I nudge my head forward and rub my snout against her cheek.

“Ugh! You smell awful!” Beatrix makes a sound of disgust but she laughs and runs her fingers through my reddish-brown fur. “You look magnificent, Laneer. Just as I knew you would.”

I smile but quickly stop incase my teeth might scare her.

“Well, get to hunting then. I’ll keep watch.” She throws my bag of clothes on my neck and then pulls out her axe out. She steps back and watches me dash into the woods.

As soon as I reach a small pond, I smell that familiar honey spiced scent. Yinx.

I didn't mean to enter the same area he vanished off to. This is pure coincidence.

Maybe I can howl to let him know I am nearby?

I do howl into the night sky. It echoes and I grin. Surely he would have heard that. I hope he did. I want him to hear it.

I run off and follow the scent, not exactly the follow him, but to scout around. I know I should slow down and head back to Beatrix, but I just want to be near Yinx!

There is a skunk that runs past me, but I really do not want to bother with that right now.

Should I go back to the lake and try to catch a fish? Hmm...maybe if I am lucky, a duck might be nearby.

Running back to the lake, I see a white dot on the other side. It is a swan! Oh...I do not know if I want to kill a swan. Would that not be bad luck? I feel like it would bring bad luck.

Oh well. It is something to hunt and if I finish it off now, maybe I can run by and check on Yinx just surprise to him. That could be fun!

I am about to go for the swan when all of a sudden, I hear a scream. I look back behind me and instantly run for the sound.

It was in Yinx’s direction.

~~~
~~~

The God of Darkness

Controlling these Ancient Ones sure does take a lot of energy. I managed to make them call for Yinx. He should be on his way.

I thought that tonight would be a good chance to convince him to join me. It should be fairly easy. I know him better than Morgoren after all.

I wait for Yinx to show up. The Ancient Ones sit in silence as they wait for him to answer their call.

Honestly, they probably do not know why they made the call. I made them do it against their will. No doubt they are incredibly confused, but it will be fine. I will just freeze them so that they will not interrupt Yinx and I.

Finally Yinx arrives. He looks towards the Automatons but he narrows his eyes.

“Morgoren?” He asks.

“Close.” I laugh, “but I would rather not be called that name again, however.”

Yinx does not laugh. He just removes any emotion from his face.

“What do you want. Leave the Ancient Ones alone.” His voices holds a sense of danger. Interesting.

“Do not worry. I only used them to gain an audience with you.” I smile. “I was hoping to speak to you about our little proposition from before.”

He glares in my direction. “You never said anything about having sex with you. I will not sleep with a god. Especially a God of Darkness. What is your name anyway?”

Oh a curious one isn’t he? “I never said anything about sex. Forgive me if I said the wrong words. As for my name, I have many. I just do not share them with mortals. If you were curious enough to join me, you would know of my true name.”

Yinx purses his lips and tilts his head in question. “What realm to you reside in?”

I guess it would not hurt to offer that information.

Enfierna.” I smirk. “Ever heard of it?”

He shakes his head.

“You could consider it a home for demons. I have my throne there. You would be at my side when you join me.”

“Why would I want to join you? I am happy here.”

I raise an eyebrow. “Are you sure? You have lived a rough life, Yinx. You escaped an abusive mother only to find yourself in a harsh world that is not at all forgiving. I could make things so much easier for you. Give you a life away from all this...mess. You need only pledge yourself to me. Say yes and join me in Enfierna.”

Yinx just laughs. “What have you ever done for me? Nothing. I will not join you nor Morgoren. You both can go and find some other fool to join you.”

I feel rage bubbling under the surface of my skin.

“Nothing? You really think I have done nothing to help you and your sorry life? I have always been there watching over your pathetic life, only wishing to make things better for you. I made the Ancient Ones bring themselves to you in your time of need, I gave you your precious sight. Yet, you think that was nothing?” I laugh and snap my fingers in front of his face. “If you think I have done nothing for you, then let me show you just how useless you really are without me. You will really see what ‘nothing’ looks like from me.”

As soon as my words finish, Yinx eyes widen and I smile.

“What? No! Please no!” He starts to scream. “I-I did not mean it! Please give it back! I see now that you were right!”

I just stand there in silence. He can no longer see or sense anything around him. He pretty much said he did not need me. We shall see just how much he will continue to think that in the morning.

I retreat back into the shadows, ignoring his cries of fear and torment.

One glance into the sky shows that Morgoren was watching.

I make my way towards him.

“That was your idea of convincing him?” He laughs. “You may have made this incredibly easy for me.”

I roll my eyes. “We shall see about that. Yinx will soon realize that he needs me. Not some idiot like you.”

Morgoren grins. “Famous last words, Friend.”

~~~
~~~

Laneer

I almost run into a tree as I weave through the woods. I keep Yinx’s scent in front of me, trying to find where he could be.

Those screams, they sounded awful. As if he was in pain.

I will kill anyone who has hurt him.

The smell continues to become stronger and stronger the more I run in this direction.

Oh gods. What happened? Did he fall and hurt himself? I always have that small fear for him, even if he does not seem to be bothered by that.

Was there another bandit attack? Even I can tell he would not be able to handle himself if he were to be taken by surprise.

I feel like I can’t run any faster!

I trip over some roots of a tree and I growl to myself. Idiot. Keep it together. We need to get to him as fast as possible!

The scent is a lot stronger now.

I slow down and try to find anything out of the ordinary. Any attackers that are nearby or even blood.

I smell neither.

Yinx is on the ground in a fetal position. I quickly transform back to my human form, ignoring the pain from a quick transformation, and rush over to check Yinx.

As soon as I touch him, he jumps and screams then tries to fight me off.

“Yinx! It’s ok, Yinx! it’s me! Laneer!” I say and grab his arms to stop him from possibly hurting himself.

“Laneer?” He says, he looks up at me and I see he is crying.

“What’s wrong? What happened?” I pull him up and hold him against my chest. I grab a blanket and wrap it around him.

He stares into my chest and starts crying harder. He lifts his hand and runs it along my chest. His hand balls up into a fist and he rests his head against me.

Yinx sobs against me and I am just confused and scared. What the hell happened?

I rub circles along his back. “Yinx. You have to tell me what happened. I heard you scream.”

He shakes his head against my chest and sniffs. “I...I-I can’t see.”

What? I thought we knew this already.


“I can’t see anything. He....he took my sight away.” He whispers.

“He? Who is ‘he?’” I ask, confused and angry.

“Everything is just black. Laneer. I can’t see you! There aren’t any colors or shapes. It is just...empty.” Yinx’s voice breaks off into more sobs.

I hold him as tightly as I can and rest my head on top of his. “Yinx, tell me who did this to you.”

Yinx shakes his head against my chest. “I do not know. They never gave me his name.”

That must have been too much for Yinx to handle because he soon passes out in my arms.

I quickly change into my clothes and pick up Yinx. I run to Beatrix and we get a room for Yinx to sleep in.

I stay with him to watch over him.

Who would do such a thing? This is not normal. He was alone yet he was so sure someone was there.

I need answers. I hope he will give some to me in the morning.

Copyright © 2018 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The Gods are such assholes. I know, I know...anyone who lives for that long and with their powers is bound to become, at the very least, a dick. What with the boredom, etc...Still! 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..