Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,528 Words
  • 1,254 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Tragedy of Yinx - 7. The Call of the Desert

~2 Days Later~

Morgoren, The Moon God

I see that my little champion has gone up in the world.

He lives in a proper house now and is no longer in that ugly shack in the woods.

Right now I would like to speak with him. I have a plan that surely be able to convince him to join me.

Obviously this will not count as my one chance to truly convince him. This is just a small nudge into doing a small request for me. We never said anything about that.

I am going to test him, well, I will mostly be testing his family. Particularly his Mother.

She must pay for the things she has done to my champion. Her actions will also affect everyone else in that little kingdom.

To some, it would be seen as too much. Punishing everyone for the actions of one person, but they just simply watched and let the Mother do as she wished. They are just as much to blame.

It will not so bad honestly. It will be more of a slap to the wrist. I just know that since they are humans, it will affect them more emotionally. Maybe mentally but that isn’t exactly my problem. Nothing big or bad will happen.

If only this damn werewolf would leave the house already.

I’m afraid Altiba’s gift may have been a bit too strong on this one. Not that I can blame him of course. Yinx is rather nice to look at, but I need to speak with him dammit.

I am aware that the werewolf is the prince of this little city, but I would be very happy if he’d keep his paws off my prize. I can’t exactly punish him without it being suspicious.

There is also the chance that Yinx would connect the dots and assume it was me. Maybe I could manage to get him to blame the God of Darkness? Surely that would benefit me!

The air next to me seems to spark with energy and I turn to look at the intrusion.

I wrinkle my face in disgust.

The being wears golden armor with white details lining the many smooth edges. Their helmet covers their face but the helmet holds mask of what looks like a human man. Those helmets have always been creepy.

Two pairs of wings sitse behind their back. The wings are a mix of white and gold feathers.

A halo stands over their helmet. The halo circles around the front of their head and then connects a little over the tops of their ears. Like all halos, it is made of bone.

Yes very much an Angel but the wings and size of the creature show that it is an Archangel.

“Why are you here?” His voice calls. The voice rumbles and I swear I hear a hint of growling.

I raise an eyebrow and smile. “Surely you know who you are talking to?”

“I know who you are, Morgoren.” he says, “I asked why you are here. This is my city.”

“Your city? You chose such a big, busy city to torment. I would have thought that at least an Archangel would be smarter than that.”

The angel does not move but I am pretty sure it rolled it’s eyes. Well...it would have if they had eyes. Angels are faceless creatures. Very disgusting.

Hmm...perhaps I can convince it to go elsewhere. I would very much like to make sure my champion stays alive at the moment. I can’t be too sure as to what the angel has chosen as it’s next meal right now.

I smile and say, “I believe I know just to place for you to gather your souls.”

The Angel leans forward, close to my face. “Why would I listen to you, puny god? You think I do not know of your trickster ways?”

I keep my smile plastered on. “Of course I would assume you’d think that. I was just giving some friendly advice. It could get dangerous here if they were to notice so many deaths in their precious city. I would think that going somewhere else not as crowded, would be more to your liking.”

“I am not killing the humans.” He growls, “I am freeing them. They should be happy to wear my mark.”

I roll my eyes and glance at Yinx through his window. Still talking to that damn wolf. Some human woman is there as well.

“Yes, yes. Whatever you want to call it.” I sigh and turn back to the Archangel. “I would just hate to learn that one day, when you just happen to be looking the other direction, you find everyone dead. They do not wear your mark nor any other Angel’s mark. They are just a bunch of corpses rotting into the ground.”

The Angel huffs and grabs for his sword. “You would not dare.”

“Oh I would. Without hesitation.” I smirk.

He pauses and does not move. No doubt thinking things over.

“And just where would I even go?” He asks.

“It is a big world. I am sure you can find a place. I would recommend looking soon.”

The Angel does not say another word. He simply mumbles something under his breath and then spreads his wings out. Soon, they lift off into the sky, searching for some other poor place to suck souls.

Dirty creatures. I probably should have killed it myself, but I have other things I wish to deal with.

I peek through the window again and see that Yinx is finally alone. I guess the wolf must have left while the Angel was distracting me.

I open his window and I am about to enter when a bird flies past me and sits on Yinx’s chair.

Rude. I will have to burn it.

It is a eagle. It looks...unnatural. It has a third eye in the middle of it’s forehead. Well that is interesting. A possessed messenger.

It opens its beak.

“Yinx. It is I, your Father.”

Yinx just stares at the bird without showing any emotion.

“It has been a long time, my son. I hope you are enjoying the world out there. I know I miss traveling in all its corners.

I am afraid I have some news that you will most likely hate to hear.

We need you to come back. I know your Mother was too much to handle, but this is not about her.

Our Timeseeker has spoken to me and said that we are in grave danger. Some unseen force is coming our way.

We are not at all sure what it could be. The Timeseeker said that the only way we could possibly survive is for you to come back and help us.”

Yinx’s stares at the bird in confusion. Hell, even I am confused. What could possibly be headed their way?

Is this some kind of trick? Are they trying to lure their son back to them?

I would be lying is I said I wasn’t curious about this. I would like to see how it unfolds.

“I hope this message gets to you in time. I pray that you will at least come for me, my child. I miss you and I am sorry for allowing your Mother do...everything. I promise that I will try to make it up to you when you arrive. That is...if you arrive.

Please come, Yinx. We need your help.

May the Moon guide you.”

The eagle closes its beak and the third eye disappears.

It cocks it’s head as it looks up at Yinx. He runs his finger along the side of its face. The bird rubs its face against his hand before it spreads its wings and flies up and out the window.

Yinx stares out the window for a moment, I am almost afraid I am not invisible to him.

Instead, he gets on his knees to check under his bed. He pulls out a bag and a pile of clothes.
He runs around his house as he packs clothes, and other things.

He enchants his bag and starts throwing the heavier things inside. A cooking pot, some utensils, a firespit, a bed roll, and an entire tent.

The spell allows all these things to easily fit into the bag. None of it adding any weight.

Well, so much for thinking he was mad at his family. I would have thought the years of abuse was enough to make him at least a little bitter.

I think I’ll just sit this one out. I am curious as to what this mysterious force may be.

Once, he has packed everything and set it on his bed. Yinx starts a bath.

Well, this I definitely wouldn’t mind watching.

~~~
~~~

Laneer

Well, last night was nice.

We finally did it! Yinx has moved into his house. Irene had to work late at the tavern tonight so Beatrix and I kept him company.

I am pretty sure I annoyed him with my constant rambling. I was curious about how he got here.

All I got were vague responses.

So much for thinking we were at a hugging level. That is fine with me. I do not want to push. He should choose when and what he wishes to share with me.

It was not until I was in my room back at the castle that I realized I forgot to give Yinx the necklace again.

Of course I would forget again. I even tucked it into my sleeve pocket so I would remember.

Fuck it. I will wear it tomorrow. It will be a lot easier that way for sure.

Sleep was pretty uneventful. I don’t think I dreamed of anything honestly. I vaguely remember Beatrix being there but that is about it.

I decide to put on my armor today. Maybe I will find a contract to do with Beatrix. Something that can be done quick of course. I want to see Yinx by the end of the day at least.

Maybe if I am lucky, I could finish it after lunch? Usually chopping wood in the morning does not take that long. People are always asking for chopped wood. Especially now that it is winter and everyone is freezing in their homes.

I strap my sword and shield to my back and then I make my way out of my room.

Nobody stops me on my way out of the castle today. I weirdly thought I would have been talked to at least once. Usually father would send servants to remind me to speak with him later today.

Obviously, I ignore him till I come back. I just hope I am not in any sort of trouble right now. It is a bit off to be ignored this much.

Instead of caring to look for him, I leave the castle and make my way to Yinx’s house. I am going to invite him to join Beatrix and me. We can give him some wood for his new fireplace!

I walk by the blacksmith today and see her assistant working. I wave to him and he waves back.

Is it strange to feel closer to Yinx within three days than I have with anyone else? I had tried to date the blacksmith’s assistant, Jeremy, for about two weeks and felt nothing?

I could tell he wanted nothing more than sex. Beatrix had gotten mad that I blew that off.

Yeah, one time flings are not for me. I am not against people and their choices, but that is not at all how I was raised.

My mother made sure I would grow up to become a ‘gentleman’. Sure it made people bully me a lot, apparently not wanting sex immediately is considered stupid. Even Beatrix makes fun of me. At least Beatrix nor my Mother cared about my preference. If anything, I think my Mother was happy I was attracted to the same sex.

‘There would be less drama. Just bring a man that knows how to cook and I’ll be happy for you.’ She used to say.

I guess I really took that second part to heart. Yinx knows how to cook after all.

I miss my mother. She was banished from Avelin because she would be rather vocal about her hatred to my father. It was an arranged marriage and she wanted nothing to do with him.

Most people were sad about her banishing. Not at all close to how sad I was though. The castle just felt colder without her.

It still does.

I like to believe that she is staying in the mountains. She used to say that she loved how it was constantly snowing up there and that she wished she could move there. Maybe she got her wish?

She is not allowed to stay in any city that happens to trade with Avelin. Sadly that is almost all of them.

I believe a few areas from the desert are the only ones who do not trade.

Maybe she made her way there instead? Living alone probably was not appealing to her so maybe she went to the desert.

Was she lonely when she stayed here in Avelin? I hope I was enough.

Oh I reached Yinx’s house already.

I knock on the door and listen for any noises inside.

I do not hear any footsteps. Is he sleeping?

I knock once more. Still no sounds.

If he is sleeping, I should leave. I do not want to wake him.

Turning to leave, I see Beatrix in the distance. She is in her armor as well! I guess she had the same plan as me.

“Laneer?” A voice says behind me. I turn and see Yinx’s face. He barely has the door open.

How did I not hear him? Now that I think about it, I do not think I have ever heard him make a sound when he is walking.

Yinx must realize it's me and opens his door wide open for me.

“Good Morning.” He smiles.

“Good Morning to you too.” I can’t help but have a stupid grin. “I didn’t wake you, did I?”

He shakes his head and moves to let me inside. He is wearing his hunting outfit again.

It is dark in here. There aren’t any candles on. I guess with his weird vision you do not really need any light to move around.

Yinx seems a bit...nervous. His fingers keep twitching.

“Is everything alright?” I ask.

He freezes for a moment and shakes his head. “I-I need to go back to my old home.”

“You do not like it here? I did say you could go back if you needed to.” A bit bummed out that he would be far away again, but it is his choice.

“No, no!” Yinx moves his hand to my arm. “I mean...back to the desert.”

Oh. Oh! I...did not expect that honestly. Wait. Does this mean I’ll never see him again?

“Will you come back?” I ask. I actually want to slap myself for how sad I sound. I am a grown man, dammit.

He gives a soft smile. “I do not know.”

He doesn’t know? How would he not know? Did I do this? Have I creeped him out by being a freak and so he is making a run for it? If he is leaving then why would he wait and tell me now?

“I...Can I come with you?” I ask. Gods why did I ask that.

Yinx laughs and shakes his head. “I have a feeling that you would not like it there.”

“And why not? I am sure I can handle it.” I just keep making this hole deeper. Please shut up, Laneer.

Yinx raises an eyebrow and smirks. “Magic? Could you handle magic? The people in Serendia are more open about magic, unlike here. Not to mention that we would have to pass through the magical forest of Drulai.”

“Drulai?” I frown. Why would he ever need to walk through a magic forest? Wouldn’t it be the most dangerous land on Thymestrys?

“Have you ever even been more than ten miles from Avelin?” He asks.

I...can’t say that I have. My silence must answer for me because he keeps talking.

“It is a long journey, Laneer. I do not think you should go.”

“Is it dangerous?” I ask.

Yinx pauses before slowly nodding.

“Oh, then I am going with you. I’ll even ask others to join us to escort you.” I smile.

Yinx narrows his eyes and steps away from me.

“Why would you do that?” He says.

I shrug. “I care about my friends.”

He looks a bit surprised by that. I have a feeling that he has only had a handful of friends in his life. Maybe less.

“Since you are my friend,” I say, “I would want to protect you. It is what any good friend would do.”

“You realize that you would have to make the journey twice? You would have to make your way back as well.”

I just wave it off. “I don’t care. Maybe that will be good. If we know for certain that you will be coming back, then we can travel together again.”

Yinx frowns and crosses his arms. “This is not a good idea. What if you get hurt?”

I decide to do what’s best and bounce the question back. “What if you get hurt without me there?”

I know that was mostly to get to his head, but now the thought is in mine. If he got hurt and he was all alone, nobody would ever find him, at least on time. I would never hear or see him again!

I will not let that happen.

Yinx opens his mouth to possibly make another dumb excuse, but I interrupt him.

“I am going.” I say with as much courage as I can. “And that’s that.”

He glares at me, or at my chest, and moves to climb the stairs to his room.

“Running won’t change my mind.” I call up to him. “I can just follow your scent you know.”

I’m feel pretty smug about all this, sure it might be a tough trek, but it’ll be an adventure!

I am definitely bringing Beatrix.

While I do not like making Yinx mad, this is a good decision. This would be a pretty long walk honestly. Thanks to me, I’ll just get some horses and we can go a lot faster.

Holy shit! Did Yinx make his way here on foot? Surely not. That is an incredibly long walk. He even cut through a magic forest for some damn reason.

Maybe he did not have a destination set in mind? Just kept walking till he found something worth living in?

How long did he even travel? Maybe two or three years? I would not doubt it.

Just the thought that he possibly did that on foot is a bit mind blowing.

“What are you doing down there?” Yinx calls.

I honestly have no idea. “No clue.” I say, “I guess I am waiting for you to tell me when we are leaving.”

Yinx sighs loudly.

I swear I hear a window being opened.

I walk out the house and stand back enough to see that he is indeed trying to escape through the window.

He is using vines on a tree to make his way down. Clearly he is not a climber. I do not blame him with his blindness.

I make my way to him and stand with my arms ready incase he falls.

Yinx sighs when he can’t manage to get his footing.

“Come on, Yinx.” He whispers to himself. “You can do this again. Just get on the ground first, you idiot.”

I smile as I watch him. I guess this proves that Yinx is his real name. He calls himself that after all.

Yinx slowly, very slowly, reaches the bottom of the house. As soon as his foot touches solid ground, he gives a small scream and pulls himself up the vines again.

“How long have you been standing there?” He says with a sigh and his face resting against the tree.

I laugh and grab him by the hips to help bring him down.

“Only for a few moments.” I grin. He isn’t heavy at all.

Yinx dusts his clothes off but some twigs and leaves are still stuck in his hair and vest. I pick them off for him.

“I can’t see anything without my feet touching the ground.” He frowns and seems to try to hide his face from me.

I smile anyway. “I know. You told me something like that before.”

He huffs and nods to himself. “Is this where you say that I clearly need your help?”

“Of course not!” I take what appears to be the last twig out of his bangs. “You already said it for me.”

He smiles and rolls his eyes. “I guess you get to be my knight in shining armor this time.”

Yes!

Sorry if I am posting too much...I am having a bit too much fun writing this story :D 
Copyright © 2018 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 5
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Not in any reality I can think of is there such a thing as 'posting too much'. I am not an author, but I have a pretty vivid imagination, so that is a hella lot of realities :)

 

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

invite him to join Beatrix and me. The object of the verb 'join'.

 

We have now determined that Yinx's blindness is modified by magic because he can see better when his feet touch the ground, the question now becomes, how much better?

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..