Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 5,012 Words
  • 1,381 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Tragedy of Yinx - 22. The Gods' Plaything

Laneer

I wake to the smell of smoke and blood.

After blinking a few times, I find that I am in a cage with Yinx. He has his wrists chained above his head.

The scar he got from the Archangel looks like it opened up again.

I just realized something. How has he not been marked like his parents? Yinx was hit by one of the Archangel’s abilities just like the Queen, so why not him?

There are bruises along his arms and legs. There is also another scar that has been added to Yinx’s skin. A fresh new one sits along the bottom right of his ribs.

A symbol is painted in blood on one of his hands.

At the moment, Yinx is knocked out and just hanging by his arms. He still does not have any clothes. Only his underwear.

We are in a cage on top of a moving wagon. A few soldiers on horses trail in front and behind us.

Andromel sits in the very front. Everyone is wearing the Avelin colors on their armor. Green and gold.

I groan as I sit up. My back and head are killing me at the moment.

I massage my head for a bit and then slip my shirt off. I wrap it around Yinx to cover him up.

These assholes. Why the hell did they come for us? How did they even know we were in the forest?

“Andromel!” I call out.

I grunt as I push myself to stand up and hold onto the bars.

He glances back at me and slows down until his horse runs alongside the cage.

“What is this?” I snarl, “Why have you done this? I told you I was helping him get to the desert!”

Andromel raises an eyebrow and frowns.

“It sure looked a lot more than just ‘getting to the desert’.” He says with a face of disgust. “You also never said you were escorting a Serendian. Laneer, you should have known your Father would be against that.”

I narrow my eyes. “Who told you that Yinx is a Serendian? I literally only told the group I brought with me.”

“Oh we had an anonymous witness. Thanks to her, we were able to find you.”

I frown. Her? I do not know anyone that would know about this trip. There is Irene but I know she would not have back-stabbed Yinx like this.

Someone else saw us. Someone I clearly do not know. Who the hell could have done this? Why they felt the need to tell my father is beyond me.

It was probably some ignorant Avelin-born woman who was disgusted that I left the city with a Serendian.

“Unchain him.” I grit out.

Andromel shakes his head. “I am afraid we can’t do that. He attacked us when he last woke up.”

I roll my eyes. “I would too if you all just randomly shove me into a cage.”

His eyes narrow, “This is not random at all, Laneer. You are in big trouble with your father.”

“Oh yeah?” I say, “It is no excuse to treat him this way. Just wait till I get out of this cage. You will regret laying a finger on him.”

“Tell that to the children of the fathers he killed a few hours ago.” He says.

“And what is that supposed to mean?” I ask in annoyance.

Andromel glances at the soldiers behind the cage and then back at me. “Your little boytoy here had used magic against us as soon as he woke up. He killed three good, hardworking men before we managed to knock him out. He burned them alive, Laneer!”

“He was just trying to defend himself.” I say, a bit unsure on how to take in this situation.

“Defend himself?” Andromel scoffs, “We were just walking along, bring you both back home, when he decides to set three men on fire. No. He was not defending himself. Filthy Demon worshiper.”

I shove my hand through the metal bars to try and grab him but he is sadly too far away.

“Oh come on now, Laneer.” He sighs, “I never thought you would get yourself caught up with some...Demon fucker. I knew about your preferences, but did you really have to go so far as to find a Demon Worshiper?”

“Watch what you say about him!” I growl. After so long, the wolf inside has come back to life, and it wants to kill anyone who hurt or says anything wrong about Yinx.

Andromel looks around at all the soldiers as if he is worried before looking back at me.

“Calm down, Laneer.” He whispers, “Your wolf is beginning to show.”

“I don’t really give a damn.” I say, “You had best watch what you say about Yinx or I will come out and tear your fucking head off.”

He looks at me in shock before he gives a sinister smile.

“My, my.” He says, “I see the wolf found his bitch. Ah, I see now. The wolf was brought to you by a demon, so in turn, it searched for a Demon worshiping whore.

I lunge at him again. The cage almost falls over from the force and it causes a groan to come out of Yinx.

I quickly move to hold him up against me to help keep the weight off his arms.

Andromel laughs and trots off back to the front of the line.

Shouting comes from the front and then I see the giant stone gate signaling that we have arrived back in Avelin.

Wait...what? How long have I been knocked out? I thought this all happened yesterday!

I cover up Yinx with my body as best as I can. It still does not help that everyone in the streets can see us as we are riding by.

~~~
~~~

Yinx shivers against me and I can only pull him closer to try and keep him warm.

They threw us into the jail cells. What we are waiting for, I have no idea, but they finally gave Yinx something to cover himself up.

They gave him worn out scratchy pants that has a giant hole from the knee and all the way down. The shirt is not at all any better. One sleeve is missing and the bottom is all cut up and full of holes.

Other prisoners here have better looking outfits so obviously they are doing this because he is a Serendian. And a mage. And probably also because he is my lover.

Oh gods. I never realized that him being with me would bring all this mess.

“I’m so sorry, Yinx” I whisper.

His teeth chatter as he looks up at me. “W-what do you mean?”

I rub my hands up and down his arms to try and create some heat. “I think being with me got us into this mess.”

He gives a shaky laugh. “I-it is fine, Laneer. I am just...sad, but not about you.”

I am about to ask what he is sad about, but then I remember, it has possibly been days.

On a horse, I would guess the trip here would have been at least three days. That means three days have passed since we were supposed to bring back the roots from the purple magic tree.

Yinx press his face against my neck and it may be from the cold, but I think his bottom lip is trembling because he is about to cry. He is holding it back however. Why he is doing that is beyond me.

I think that if it were me, and I learned that my Mother has most likely died, I would cry. Especially with where we are right now.

We just got captured and thrown into a jail cell. I think Yinx has every right to cry right now.

“I-I tried to save us.” He whispers, “I tried to fight back. It d-did not work.”

I kiss the top of his head and just try to hold him even tighter.

“Yinx you need to be careful.” I say.

He chuckles. “I think we are little late on saying we should be careful.” A small pause, “I am the last in my family. The last Dunbrali.”

“You do not know that.” I say firmly, “Your parents could be alive right now. They both seem very strong.”

Yinx tries to laugh, but it just comes out as more of a painful sigh.

“I do know, Laneer.” He whispers. Pain is in his voice. “I can feel it. The same emptiness I felt with when I lost my brother. I’ve...I lost them all.”

He sniffs and then I realize he is crying.

I rub soothing circles into his back and let him cry into my shirt. I whisper things. Things that say that I am here for him, that he is not alone, and that they will be in his heart forever. However, I can tell he does not hear any of that right now.

“This is my fault.” He says out of nowhere.

“No.” I quickly say and move him so I can look at his face better. “This is not at all your fault. We are just unlucky.”

He shakes his head. “Then that is the story of my life. Unlucky.

I frown at that and pull him back to my chest.

Honestly, I can’t really think of a way to say he is wrong. Can I really convince Yinx that he is not unlucky?

I doubt it.

The shit he has been going through...yeah I’ll just have to agree with him. Obviously I won’t let him know, but still, I see no reason to think otherwise.

Out of millions of people on this world, Yinx is the one person to have two Gods after him. That alone is just straight up unlucky.

We have been down here for several hours, I would imagine it is nighttime at the moment. We arrive here around midday.

Finally, after sitting here for so long, the sound of keys jangling can be heard from one end of the hallway.

The clinking of metal boots echo throughout the jailhouse.

I know that sound. I hear it all the time. They are either pacing around a closed off room or walking through the halls of the castle.

My father stands in front of our cell. He looks through the metal bars with a look of disgust. I can only glare at him. I do not need to hear him pester me for my ways.

Except, he is not looking at me. He is staring down at Yinx.

“How can you hold such a vile creature in your arms?” He frowns.

“Vile creature?” I say in shock. “This is a human being! What is wrong with you? I knew you were a racist man, but calling Serendians creatures? That is a new low, even for you.”

My Father rolls his eyes. “I know that, Child. Yet, that is no human being. That is a Demon.”

I can only laugh at that.

“Who fed you that stupid information?” I say.

Looking down, I see that Yinx is staring at my chest. I can see he wants to say something, but he is biting his lip to keep himself quiet.

No matter. I will defend him if he won’t.

“Why none other than the great Gatekeeper of the Heavens herself!” He smiles. “She came to me, told me about who you chose to...fraternize with, then she said that I must deliver him unto the Gods to cleanse his filth from this world.”

Yinx moves from my arms and walks to stand in front of my Father. He in turn, takes a step back. Clearly, he is afraid of Yinx.

“You think I am a Demon?” Yinx asks with a laugh. “You so blindly follow any stupid voice that whispers to you, you would believe something as dumb as that? The Gatekeeper is liar. Just like her bitch of a husband.”

I would find this a bit funny as well, but he said that Yinx must be delivered to the Gods. Clearly that is bad news.

I need to get Yinx out of here.

A look of shock flashes on my Father’s face. “Only a Demon would speak in such a way against the Gods.”

“Let us out, Father.” I say while moving to stand next to Yinx.

He looks at the both of us as if we are crazy, then he frantically shakes his head.

“No, no.” He steps away and moves towards the exit, “The Demon has festered inside your head. I-I will cleanse you, my child. Do not worry. I will save you as well.”

“What?” I say. “Father! None of that is true!” I yell and grab onto the bars. “Let us out of here!”

He ignores my shouting and calls then runs out of the jailhouse.

Yinx grabs onto my arm in a viselike grip.

“W-were going to die!” He whispers.

I feel him trembling against me and I pull him back to sit down. He pulls himself against me and his entire body starts shaking.

I would try to comfort him more, but it does not help that I am also going to die with him.

“What are we doing to do?” I ask, moreso to myself.

Yinx shakes his head against me.

“I-I don’t know.” His voice trembles. “I’m sure we can think of something.”

I nod and close my eyes.

Oh gods. What are we supposed to do?

“You wouldn’t happen to have a teleportation spell, would you?” I huff a small laugh.

Yinx bites his lip and his eyes look like they are about to spill tears.

“Sorry.” I squeeze him closer to me. “It was a stupid question.”

I feel like I should be freaking out more, but I have this strange feeling that everything will be alright. We have gone this far, right? Surely we can think of something.

~~~
~~~

“It’s nighttime.” Yinx whispers.

“How do you know?” I ask.

He tries to do a small shrug. “I can feel it.”

We are back in the cage that was used to bring us here. Yinx is chained up again and this time I am as well.

I have my wrists and ankles chained to one side of the cage, while Yinx has his arms chained above his head again.

They do not want him cutting himself or using anything to try and draw symbols for more magic.

A dark sheet has been thrown over the cage so we can’t see what is outside. We just sit in the darkness, waiting for wherever our destination is.

I have a feeling I know where we’re headed. It will be the Temple of the Gods.

If my Father said we were to be delivered unto the Gods, then this will most likely take place there.

“Laneer, I’m scared.” Yinx says. His voice is getting shaky again.

“It’s fine.” I say with as much courage as I can muster, “We will figure something out. We just have to do what you do. ‘Roll with the punches.’”

He nods and moves himself to slightly press himself against me. We can’t exactly embrace or lean properly on each other, so I guess this will do.

Thank the Gods I can see in the dark. This ride would be more terrifying if I couldn’t.

I would ask why we need the sheet, but I can guess my Father does not want it known that the ones that are going to be sacrificed happen to include his son.

I do hear the crowds of people following the cart. There are murmurs and the sound of a child saying “What’s happening? Who is in there?”

This is insane. There have been a few public executions and maybe only one human sacrifice in my Father’s lifetime.

Is this really how all this is supposed to end? Surely not.

There are two Gods that want Yinx. Obviously at least one of them will do something about this.

The Gatekeeper of the Heavens told my Father about Yinx. Why does she care about him? Is it because Morgoren wants Yinx? I want to say that a Goddess like her would not be so petty enough to try and murder him, but obviously from what I have learned, they do whatever they want.

The cage tilts backwards as the cart has reached a slope. I would not doubt that this would be the climb up to the Temple.

It is right in the middle of the city on top of a small mountain of rock. A gift made by man. It was used to appeal to the Gods. Obviously that seems to mean nothing to them.

“Put your backs into it!” Andromel’s voice shouts.

The grunts of men pushing and pulling the cart can be heard.

Thanks to the cage tilting backwards, Yinx can no longer stand on his toes anymore. He is hanging by his wrists and I can tell that it is hurting his arms. He grits his teeth but I can tell it is getting to be too much.

I want to try and stick my leg out for him to sit on or something, but I can’t.

After what feels like years, we finally reach leveled ground.

The cart moves a bit before it finally comes to a stop.

This is it. We are finally here.

Voices can be heard around us. Some sound confused. I can guess that those are the guards.

“Laneer.” Yinx says.

“Yeah?”

Yinx leans against me again.

“No matter what happens,” He says, “Just know that I will always love you.”

“Be quiet, Yinx.” I frown, “We are not going to die, so don’t say stuff like that.”

Yinx shakes his head and squeezes his eyes shut. “You might not, but I know I will.”

He sniffs and uses his arm to wipe his face.

I feel heat rolling in my chest. A bit of rage is growing inside me. The wolf wants to tear out of me and try to save Yinx. I would let him, but there is just one small problem.

These chains are made of silver. I couldn’t change even if I wanted to.

“Greetings, everyone.” Andromel’s voice calls.

“Welcome to our Offering Ceremony.

Recently, we have found a Demon in the lands of Thymestrys.

The great Goddess Taisla, the Gatekeeper to the Heavens, has gifted us with the knowledge of its location.

Our bravest soldiers traveled as far as the Forest of Drulai! They captured the creature but it came with great loss. A few had died against this monster but in the end, their sacrifices allowed us to win.

Here in this cage, the Demon of white hair and pale eyes waits to be killed by the Gods themselves.

Unfortunately, it managed to bewitch our young Prince Laneer.”

Sounds of people gasps and cries can be heard.

I never realized I meant anything to these people…

“Yes, I know. It is a great loss to this city. We can only pray that the Gods will spare him from the fate of the Demon.

Now. As you can see, the Moon is bright tonight and the winds are beginning to dance. The Gods are listening. They have heard our call for help. They will cleanse us of this Demon and we shall have a feast in celebration!”

There are cheers and warcries around and below us.

How many people are here? I thought it was just a small crowd, but it sounds like hundreds of people are around the base of this small mountain.

The wind catches the bottom of the sheet and it lifts up a little.

Moonlight flashes through for a moment and touches the bottom of the cage. Yinx backs his toes away from the light.

I swear it almost looked like it was trying to reach him. That can’t be a good sign.

“Without further ado, let us present the offering to the Gods.” Andromel says.

It is dead silent. I almost think nothing is going to happen, but then the sheet is ripped off the cage.

~~~
~~~

The God of Darkness

I can only wait and see what is going to happen. If the human’s try to cut Yinx’s throat, then I will try and save him.

Obviously there is the rule not to interfere, but Morgoren already broke that rule with the Archangel. I think I can have my one moment as well.

As soon as the sheet is pulled off, the moonlight seems to instantly shine bright on top of Yinx. A beam of energy shines down on him. Everywhere else has grown darker.

There are shocked cries and hushed tones from all the humans. They are seeing the power of a God on top of Yinx.

Just what exactly is Morgoren doing?

Yinx’s face has gone blank. There was only a moment of fear on his face as the sheet was torn off, but now he doesn’t show any emotion.

The chains that hold Yinx’s wrists up are suddenly sliced off and the door is forced open. All of this is done by some unseen force, but I know that is it Morgoren.

Yinx calmly walks out of the cage and slowly follows the beam of moonlight.

I narrow my eyes.

Something is not right. It looks as if Morgoren is just releasing Yinx, but why is he still under Morgoren’s spell?

The beam shines down directly under the moon. I swear the moon seemed to have shifted and is now directly above the city.

Yinx stares up at the light but nothing seems to happen.

A few soldiers look towards the man that had conducted this ‘ceremony.’

They look confused as well. Their minds say that they think Yinx should have died by now. That he should have been smited by the Gods.

“Just shove a sword into his back. Just get it on with.” The man, Andromel, says.

Two soldiers pull out their swords and cautiously make their way towards Yinx.

I move through the darkness and slip into the shadow of the werewolf. He shivers as I pass through but he continues to stare after Yinx.

The soldiers finally meet up with Yinx and just as they are about to touch him, a loud sound goes off as air seems to explode from Yinx’s feet.

Everyone has to cover their face and plant their feet to the ground to keep themselves from being blown away.

The two soldiers go flying backwards. One even falls over the edge and down the hundred foot drop.

You would think that with the force of that, Yinx would have bolted high into the air, but no. He slowly begins to drift up the stream of Moonlight.

His arms are slightly spread and he continues to stare up the beam of light.

A bright ball of light shines high inside the beam.

I grit my teeth when I see the glint of that armor.

Morgoren.

He reaches a hand down towards Yinx. Almost as if he is offering him to take it. They are about twenty feet apart, but Yinx is slowly making his way upwards.

Hell no. I will not let Morgoren force Yinx into joining him.

I do the only thing I can think of.

I dash out of the werewolf’s shadow and run for the beam of light.

Shouts of horror can be heard as they see a black mass climbing up the beam after Yinx. I guess this is technically the first time any human has seen me, but I could care less for that right now.

I need to save Yinx from Morgoren.

Without thinking, I slip into Yinx’s body and share my power. I am not sure how much but it is enough to snap him out of Morgoren’s spell.

Instantly I feel a boiling rage that I know it not mine. It is stronger than any I’ve felt before. Not even from any Gods I have been in.

“What are you doing?” Yinx’s voice shouts. “Get out of my body!”

“Morgoren is trying to force you to join him!” I say, “I am giving you my power to get out of here. Run somewhere and avoid moonlight. He will not find yo-”

I am all of a sudden forced out and I stare in shock at Yinx.

His eyes are no longer white. They are black. As if a swirling pool of darkness has settled in his eyes.

A piece of his bangs has turned black and he does not look happy at all.

Did...did I do that?

Yinx spreads his arms out and the beam of light seems to shatter.

“You!” He snarls, pointing at Morgoren. His voice echoes across the city.

With a wave of his hand, a gigantic wall of darkness spreads across the sky, it blocks out the Moon and Morgoren can no longer return that way.

Screams can be heard below us, but I can only watch as Yinx sends out a on long lash of fire towards Morgoren.

He dodges in time but he quickly flies down to the city to run from Yinx.

That only seems to be the worst idea.

Yinx begins to send line after line darkness. It slices through homes, cutting them in half.

Any humans who happen to be in the line of fire wither away into dust. Not even skeletons. They just disintegrate into nothing.

Morgoren flies through all the different streets and homes, trying to survive Yinx’s onslaught, but his body gives off a glow that makes it easy for Yinx to see where he is going.

Everytime Yinx sends out an attack, more buildings are destroyed and more humans die.

I see a family huddled in an alley. Morgoren dashes past but a line of darkness goes straight for the family of humans. Instantly the parents and their children turn into dust. Their screams are the last thing you hear.

Yinx waves his hands above his head and a giant ball of fire hovers above him.

He throws his arms down and the ball of fire flies in Morgoren’s direction.

All I hear is the screams of humans being cut off as a gigantic explosion goes off in the western part of the city.

Morgoren runs out of the city’s outer wall. That takes him out of Yinx’s range and therefore means he is safe.

Yinx cries out in frustration and he pulls at his hair.

A strange black mass begins to form around his body. It pulls on any shadows and darkness around him. It grows and grows and the energy that radiates off of him is terrifying.

I quickly fly away from him, knowing that something big is about to happen.

The mass of darkness surrounds him to the point that I can’t see him.

All of a sudden, with a loud scream that echoes far across the city, another explosion of black energy goes off around him.

Instantly it kills everyone that was on top of the mountain.

Andromel, any soldiers stationed there, the temple worshipers, and even the werewolf that I used to test Yinx.

They all disintegrate into nothing.

The ones who are lucky to survive are the ones who ran off of the mountain towards the stairs.

Yinx’s body can finally be seen again. He slowly floats down back to the top of the mountain.

A few soldiers poke out from the stairway, checking to see if it is safe again. When they see that Yinx is no longer attacking, they slowly make their way over there.

As soon as Yinx is close enough to the ground, they run over and quickly chain his arms together.

~~~
~~~

The King of Avelin

As I get closer to the Demon, I can hear that he is breathing hard and sweating like crazy.

He is on his knees with his wrists chained behind his back. Thank the gods those soldiers went in as soon as they did.

A metal bar has been nailed into the ground that keeps the chains pinned. It should keep him from getting up. However, from what we all just witnessed, I am not sure that it would even keep him restrained.

The Demon looks up at me with his pale eyes. He seems the same as before. The only difference is that there is a black stripe that runs along his bangs.

This thing killed so many people. It tried to kill a God! It killed everyone on this mountain.

I look towards the cage that sits in the middle of the temple. It is empty and all that sits there is dust.

“You did it Demon.” I say. “You killed him, just like she said you would. You killed my son, my advisor, and my people.”

I see the Demon’s eyes begin to water as he begins to breathe even faster.

I think I struck a nerve there.

Maybe it is because I can be a bit cocky, but I can’t help pressing on that nerve some more. You can’t exactly blame me. This Demon just destroyed half of my city.

“You. Killed. Him.” I grit out. “You killed Laneer.”

The Demon fights against his chains and screams in frustration. A breath of fire comes from his mouth as he screams.

He continues to struggle against the bar that keeps him chained to the ground but he can do nothing. That only causes him to scream in rage.

Each scream brings another fire that causes everyone to back away from him. Myself included.

I think that maybe the Demon is angry as itself from being captured, but then he begins to sob and cry with his head on the floor.

Could a Demon really care for a human? Did this Demon care for my son?

That does not matter.

The Demon will die, even if I have to do it myself.

Happy New Year! ❤️
Copyright © 2018 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Angry 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I have trouble believing this is the end for Laneer though I wonder if the god of darkness did exactly as Morgoren secretly wanted. I mean his power combined with Yinx’s anger seemed to make his false prediction about destruction as a result of Yinx choosing the god of darkness come true. Yinx wiped out all around him without any emotion or concscious thought except for a desire to kill Morgoren. Yinx is now broken and easier to manipulate with death apparently approaching as neither god needs Yinx alive. I want to assume Laneer will either somehow still be alive or that he will be inexplicably resurrected though this tragedy could be a true one.

Edited by NimirRaj
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Yinx (taken again in chains) no problem (given up hope maybe?? or just morose)

 

Laneer - must be OK (don't know how or why) must have a come back.... as the author has completed the chapter in his perspective (narrative) so he's alive...

I was fooled earlier, but it was the test werewolf that was on the mountain top when things went shitty.

Loving the story as all others ask... more ?...When???

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..