Jump to content
    Kjamieson
  • Author
  • 990 Words
  • 2,983 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Liam's story - 6. Chapter 6

Chapter 6

 

I arrived at Toby’s parents house on Sunday around 6 p.m. with my parents. Toby’s parents were one of the wealthier in our little town, Dr. And Mrs.Bennett. Dr. Bennett was one of the town’s doctors, he ran a clinic and worked in the hospital, as many small town doctors do. Mrs. Bennett was a part time dental hygienist. Their house is what you would expect. Large and sprawling over an even larger lot, with an in-ground pool and guest house. Why any one would have an outdoor in-ground pool in this climate is beyond me, but hey, not my money to waste. I even wore my swim trunks so I could enjoy it.

To be honest I was actually having a not-terrible time. It was nice to see my parents out and socializing. They spent most of their time at home being sad. I was horsing around in the pool with Cater, Toby’s younger brother, I’m sure one of them had to have been a mistake, they were the Bennett’s only two children and they were 10 years apart. For an eight year old Charter was pretty cool. We played some water volleyball and just goofed around. As it turned out playing in the pool with Carter paid off. Mrs. Bennett offered me a babysitting gig for the summer. She works 3 days a week at the dental office and needed someone to watch Carter. Did I mention they were rich? It definitely showed in what they were offering to pay me.

This was shaping up to be a good time. I had gotten out of the pool and sat down to eat when I heard it, the familiar sound of Toby’s laugh. For a little while I had almost forgotten about him. He was obviously ignoring me, I decided two can play at that game. I caught him looking over at me once but made no move to go over and speak to him. The ball was in his court, he would have to make the first move.

My plan to ignore Toby lasted about 30 minutes, when a petite brunette walked through the back gate. I had never seen her before, so she obviously wasn’t from here. She stood awkwardly at first looking around, until she saw Toby. She made eye contact with him and made her way through the various groups of people. Toby seemed really happy to see her, so happy he picked her up and kissed her. It was not a chaste kiss, there was no way I was misinterpreting this. Toby had a girlfriend. I felt my stomach fall and my eyes fill with tears. A bit of an overreaction, but I was a little more emotional these days.

I found my dad to let him know I was leaving He was standing talking to Dr. Bennett, of course. I quickly approached the two of them. Dad looked at me concernedly, he could see something was wrong. Dr. Bennett thankfully was clueless. “Liam, good to see you. Jenna was just telling me she hired you to watch Cater for the summer. Thats terrific!”

“Thank you, sir, I’m looking forward to it. Hey dad, I’m gonna head home. So if you can tell mom for me, and I’ll see you both later.” I turned to leave when dad grabbed me by the arm,

“You okay, Liam?”

“Yeah, just tired. I’ll see you later.”

I could see him looking past me, I followed his eyes and found him looking at Toby and the brunette. He looked back at me, his face had softened and had a look that if I had to describe, was pity. He knew. Hell, I’m sure he has known for a while, but in that moment I knew with 100% certainty, that he not only knew I liked men but that I was in love with Toby. I cast my gaze down, unable to meet his eyes, my own quickly filling again. This was all too much for me.

I released myself from his grasp and turned to leave. I had made it through the gate and about halfway down their long driveway, heading towards the street. I heard footsteps quickly coming up behind me. “Dad, I’m fine. I’ll see you at home.” I shouted, wrongly assuming it was my dad who had followed me out.

“I’m not your dad.” It was Carter. Shit. I quickly wiped my face and turned around.

“Sorry buddy, I was just talking to my dad and thought it was him.”

Carter tilted his head and looked at me before speaking. “I just came out cause you didn’t say good bye. And mom said you were gonna be the one babysitting me this summer. Are you okay? You don’t look very good?

Kids, always honest and tell it like they see it. “Yeah, I’m fine just have a headache, so I’m heading home. I’ll see you later Buddy.” I knew I couldn’t hold it together much longer so without waiting for a reply I turned and left. I walked quickly taking a shortcut through the park. I just wanted to get home, to be alone.

The house looked dark from the outside. I walked just inside the door. I had made it home, but now that I was here I couldn’t hold it together any more. I slumped down with my back to the door, I sat in the foyer and cried. Like I said before, an over reaction and maybe a little dramatic, but we feel what we feel. Right now I was feeling crushed. I know Toby had never outright told me he liked me, or that even liked other guys but I thought I had been getting signals from him. I had made it out to more than it was and now I was reaping the consequences.

Copyright © 2017 Kjamieson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Sad 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, Daddydavek said:

Liam' s vulnerability mixed with grief and now disappointment is causing him to be a wreck.  Hopefully his parents continue to be there for him.

You're right! Liam is a wreck right now! That is the perfect way to describe him! Unfortunately sometimes life sucks! Luckily it never lasts forever 🙂

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Things just keep becoming more complicated and devastating to Liam. I think Liam might be suprised by Toby if he honestly talked to him about his feelings. Well here is to hoping for small miracles. Til the next chapter great writing, and keep up the great work!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

When you're a teenager everything is so much more dramatic and exaggerated because you don't have the life experience that adults have.  ;–)

Link to comment
18 hours ago, droughtquake said:

When you're a teenager everything is so much more dramatic and exaggerated because you don't have the life experience that adults have.  ;–)

So much truth to that statement. I am 30 now, but I have found while writing this story I have though back to my teen years a lot (cringe) and that is so true. With age comes perspective.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..