Jump to content
    Kjamieson
  • Author
  • 1,530 Words
  • 2,894 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Liam's story - 15. Chapter 15

I will admit, I was panicking a little when dad told me mom was in the hospital, my mind went through all the worst case scenarios. I had just lost Josh, I couldn’t lose my mom too. Turns out as usual I was being a little dramatic. Mom had fallen off a ladder in the back yard, why she was up on a ladder I don’t know. But she fractured her right ankle, right upper arm, and right collar bone. They couldn’t do anything at our small hospital in town so mom got transferred to Branston. She needed surgery on her ankle.

 

I found her car keys and made my way back to Branston. She was on the third floor; orthopaedic surgery. I quickly parked and made my way to her room. She was lucky and had a double room but no roommate to share it with. I don’t know why but walking into her room and seeing her in a hospital bed made me very emotional. I went to her side to give her a hug (very gently as she was pretty banged up) she wrapped her left arm around me and I started to cry. I hadn’t realized how scared I had been. Before Josh, death wasn’t something that really scared me, I almost never thought of it. Not my own, and not my loved ones. Sure, I had lost two grandparents, but they were old, it wasn’t entirely unexpected. Josh’s death had awoken a fear in me. I now realized my own mortality and that of others as well. Mom was fine, but what if she hadn’t have been. I don’t know if I could handle that.

 

“It’s okay sweetie, I’m okay. They’re taking me to surgery at 3, but its a simple operation. Done all the time. I’ll be okay. It’s okay.” I felt bad, she was laying in the hospital bed, and trying to comfort me. I should be the one trying to make her feel better, but I couldn’t help it. I kept crying and she kept hugging me and trying to reassure me it would all be okay. I finally got my emotions under control. I sat back on to the chair beside her bed. I wiped my face off with my hands a looked at her. She was starting to bruise around her neck and face as well as the bruising down her right arm. I had to ask.

 

“Mom, what were you doing up on the ladder?” I had to know.

 

“It seems silly, but I was trying to hang some hooks to hang some potted plants, just beside the patio doors to the back yard. I thought it could use some colour.”

 

I couldn’t help but laugh “Maybe next time someone else should maybe do that for you.”

 

She laughed along with me for a minute before getting more serious. She used her left hand to reach up and hold my face, lifting it up so I was looking her in the eye. “Are you sure you’re okay honey?” She asked, she looked concerned for me.

 

“Yeah, just scared I guess. Dad said you were fine on the phone, but I still could help but worry, I guess it was a relief to see you when I walked in the room.”

 

“Okay honey, if you're sure thats all.”

 

“Yeah. Well, thats all that was going on with me now, but I was going to talk to you when I got home today about some other stuff. If you’re not up for it right now it can wait.”

“I have nothing but time, well until 3.” She smiled.

 

It took a few false starts, but once I got going i just kept talking. I told mom everything. That I was gay, my years long secret crush on Toby, our closeness since Josh’s death and our now relationship. She didn’t interrupt me, just listened to me talk. And held my hand while I did. I had finally finished rambling she looked like she was about to speak when her room door opened and dad walked back in. The three of us just sat and talked until mom’s surgery. We spoke a little about me, and my situation and Toby. Dad already knew and now mom did too. As predicted she was okay with everything, just said she wanted me to be happy. Dad told me I did’t have to wait around the hospital, that he would keep me updated but I didn’t want to leave him alone.

 

I texted Dylan and let him know what had happened, and that I couldn’t meet him. I also texted Toby and told him. I hadn't expected it but at five o’clock that evening while we were waiting for news about mom and her surgery Toby came walking in to the waiting room with a paper bag filled with take out.

 

“Figured you guys might be hungry.” He said as he dropped the bag on a table in the waiting room and started pulling out food.

 

“Thanks Toby.” My dad said as you could hear his stomach rumble. He chuckled. “Guess I am hungry.”

 

“Thanks babe.” I said, standing an awkward distance away, I wanted to embrace him or something but felt weird about it with my dad right there. Toby didn’t. He closed the gap between us and wrapped his arms around me. “You’re welcome.” He quietly spoke into me ear before kissing me on the side of my head. He didn’t let go right away, just head me to him. “You okay?” He asked as we disengaged.

 

“Yeah, mom’s okay, and should be out of surgery soon.” I replied, instantly missing the closeness of his hug.

We got started on our food, he gained my dad’s favour by bringing him a loaded burger and poutine. He brought me a grilled chicken breast with a salad and dressing on the side. I looked towards him and my dad, both starting in on their big, amazing looking burgers and then to my chicken. Toby caught my eye. “Hey, you’re the one who said you wanted to get back into shape. You wouldn’t eat my bacon this morning in favour of oatmeal and a banana, I figured you would appreciate a healthy supper.”

“I do, yours just looks a lot better than mine.” I laughed before starting in on my bland meal. I did steal some of Toby’s fries though.

 

We were still working on our food when the nurse came in to let us know mom was out of surgery, she was in the recovery room. The surgeon would come see us in a few minutes and we could see mom when they moved her back to her room in about an hour. The surgeon followed shortly after, he was a smaller man but pleasant enough. He explained moms surgery, that she now had a metal rod in her lower leg a couple of screws in her ankle. She would wear a temporary cast for two weeks, then when the swelling was down come back and get another one for another four weeks. After he left we sat and waited rather impatiently for her to be moved back up to her room where we could see her.

 

She was moved back to her own room just before seven. I saw her briefly but visiting hours ended at eight and I got the sense dad wanted some time alone with her. Since she had no roommate the nurses were allowing dad to spend the night in her room on a small fold out arm chair.

 

Toby was still waiting for me in the waiting room when I came out from visiting mom. He wrapped me up in a big once again, I let my self fall in to the comfort of his arms before leaving the hospital to head home. Toby offered to let me sleep at his place here in Branston, but I wanted to go home. We decided since I would be home alone anyway that Toby would follow and come home with me.

 

It was still early when we got back to my house, just after eight, but I was exhausted. All I wanted to do was shower and go to bed. I expressed this to Toby and he was onboard. We went upstairs and Toby started the shower for me, he of course joined me, but it wasn’t anything erotic, just comforting. I’m not sure why but I was still quite affected by my mom’s accident. It really shook me. Toby seemed to pick up on that, and much like the night he brought me home after Josh’s funeral he just took care of me.

 

It wasn’t even nine and we were in bed, me laying on my side with Toby cuddled up beside me. I drifted off to sleep.

Copyright © 2017 Kjamieson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You had me worried after last chapter, I am glad Liam's mom is going to be OK.  Toby is turning out to be a great boyfriend.  I am a little worried about Liam.  Without some kind of help I am afraid he is heading for a major melt down with all the stresses he is facing. 

 

Thanks for new chapter and looking forward to more.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I am not happy that She got hurt, but I am happy Liam's Mother doesn't have anything permanent. Toby was sweet:yes: it is nice seeing him caring for Liam

  • Like 4
Link to comment
9 hours ago, ObicanDecko said:

I'm glad Liam's mom is going to be fine and that he finally came out to both parents. Things are looking up!

yes they are! Only two chapters left, so lets hope things stay good for Liam!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, glennish said:

You had me worried after last chapter, I am glad Liam's mom is going to be OK.  Toby is turning out to be a great boyfriend.  I am a little worried about Liam.  Without some kind of help I am afraid he is heading for a major melt down with all the stresses he is facing. 

 

Thanks for new chapter and looking forward to more.

You're right, Liam is a little emotionally fragile, and would probably benefit from some help. Hopefully he figures everything out! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Sweetlion said:

I am not happy that She got hurt, but I am happy Liam's Mother doesn't have anything permanent. Toby was sweet:yes: it is nice seeing him caring for Liam

You're right, it was nice seeing the sweet caring side of Toby, rather than just the confident/cocky version we are used to seeing lately.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

Do you know how damned worried I was? Omg I don't blame him for overreacting I do the same.

I am sorry to have worried you! atleast she's still alive right? :2thumbs:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Confronting your own mortality and of those you love is a lot to process emotionally.  Having lost his brother, the prospect of losing a parent was devastating and draining.  

 

The spoiler above mentioned only two more chapters...:huh:

  • Like 3
Link to comment

You had me worried there - I was preparing my mean stare :)  I hope things carry on working out well for these guys.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

Confronting your own mortality and of those you love is a lot to process emotionally.  Having lost his brother, the prospect of losing a parent was devastating and draining.  

 

The spoiler above mentioned only two more chapters...:huh:

Yup, two more. Well one more chapter, and an epilogue! 

  • Wow 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Kjamieson said:

Yup, two more. Well one more chapter, and an epilogue! 

OMG - it keeps getting worse!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Sam Wyer said:

OMG - it keeps getting worse!

It had to end sometime! I’m not sure this will help, but it is a long chapter? Lol

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

I am glad the MOM is still alive, I have a strange feeling that something bad is coming ether in the form of the girl feeling betrayed or something about the brothers death. 

I have enjoyed the book so far. Thank you for writing and enjoy the Holidays.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, Boybig007 said:

I am glad the MOM is still alive, I have a strange feeling that something bad is coming ether in the form of the girl feeling betrayed or something about the brothers death. 

I have enjoyed the book so far. Thank you for writing and enjoy the Holidays.

I can't give anything away, but I can say a most stories have a little drama. Thank you for your kind comment! Happy holidays.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I’m not asking for any spoilers, but I’m wondering if they will ever find out why Liam's brother committed suicide – an epilogue could be the place for Josh to tell us.  ;-)

Link to comment
Just now, droughtquake said:

I’m not asking for any spoilers, but I’m wondering if they will ever find out why Liam's brother committed suicide – an epilogue could be the place for Josh to tell us.  ;-)

That is actually a great idea. It would be impossible for me to narorrate from Liam’s perspective, but an epilogue from joshs perspective is a neat idea! I will explore that. Originally chapter 16 was going to be the last, with an epilogue afterwards but while I was editing I realized I hated the ending and deleted it all and rewrote from there so the epilogue isn’t set in stone any more. I will give that some thought.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Orthopaedic” and “poutine” told me that the story is set in Canada! I either never realized or I forgot about that! (You need to include references to Tim Horton/Timmy’s/Timbits, CanadaTire, or Loonies in every other chapter to penetrate this thick skull!)  ;-)

 

Link to comment
14 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Orthopaedic” and “poutine” told me that the story is set in Canada! I either never realized or I forgot about that! (You need to include references to Tim Horton/Timmy’s/Timbits, CanadaTire, or Loonies in every other chapter to penetrate this thick skull!)  ;-)

 

Haha that’s funny! It is set in Canada, although for some reason I made up the city names. Not sure why. They are exactly based on the small city I live near! My spelling and choice of words gave me away I guess 😂

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Kjamieson said:

It is set in Canada, although for some reason I made up the city names.

The only Branson I’m aware of is in Missouri. And there haven’t been frequent references to country music, so I didn’t think that was the setting. But I’m sure there are other Bransons elsewhere.

;-)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..