Jump to content
    Labrador
  • Author
  • 2,998 Words
  • 1,073 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Starlight in the Heavens - 27. Chapter 27

Brian's perspective.

Part 27 - Brian

 

Burning fire and burning ice. The thought of feeling both at the same time would have caused my imagination to stretch overtime—had it not been for the fact that here I was feeling it personally.

"I'm sorry, Brian. I can make you sleep through this, but it will go much faster if you are aware enough to speak. Can you try for me?"

I didn't know the person behind the voice, but something in her tone caused me to believe her words. I nodded, though I wasn't sure I would be able to stand it. Everything in me wanted to scream.

"The beginning will be the hardest, but I promise to be as quick as I can." I felt the heat of dry ice center in my chest. "Are you ready?"

I opened my eyes, breathing heavily through the pain. Dark, auburn hair and fiery emerald green eyes were all I could see. Everything else was hazy. I nodded, noting the sad look within the fire of her eyes.

Then everything went red as my back arched off the bed. Everything hurt. I felt as though I was being drawn through a gaping hole in my chest. My extremities were being pulled in and I was being turned inside out. Just as I opened my mouth to scream, a ripple of cool water flowed out from my center. I knew it wasn't her.

Soft murmurs of loving words surrounded me. A gentle song of peace held me still.

"Good," the woman whispered. "He will do what I could not."

She continued, and I answered when asked questions—does this feel hot or cool? What color do you see when I touch here? They were nonsensical questions to my ears, but I answered regardless. And all the while, I floated in his voice, feeling his touch though I knew he wasn't in the room. She'd made him leave—the lover of my dreams.

When it was finished, I slept and dreamed of a time long ago.

As I walked with my lover along a small brook, I heard a voice calling me to wake up. But I resisted the call. I was here with the one that filled the emptiness and I never wanted to leave.

Gentle fingers brushed along my cheek and pushed into my hair. "Brian," the voice called again.

"Let me try," a new voice said. This one was male. His voice came again close to my ear. "He's waiting for you, Brian. He's been waiting for so long—years and years. So have you, I think. Wake up. Come outside with me. Come and be with the one you love."

I remembered the soft touch of my lover's fingers just before the woman came. Was he really here?

I forced my eyes open and blinked away the foggy haze surrounding my mind. As my vision cleared, I saw a boy—no, he was a man, a young man with old eyes. His smile started small and brightened as I tried to sit up.

"Here," he said. "Let me help you.

He took hold of my arm and pulled me as I swung my legs off the bed. I looked back and forth between the two until the woman said, "My name is Samantha. This is Sean. How do you feel?"

"What happened?" My voice was raspy.

"Later, Brian," Sean said. "Let me get you some water."

He left and momentarily returned with a glass filled with the coolest, sweetest water I'd ever tasted. I'm sure it was only from the tap, but right then, I felt like it could have been nectar from the gods.

"Better?" he asked.

"Yes, thank you."

I was going to ask again what had happened, but I suddenly remembered what he'd said.

I stood up quickly, grabbed Sean's shoulder as I got queasy until my legs were stable, and headed for the door. "Where is he?"

"Come," Sean said, and I followed him through the house and out the back door.

It was crowded on the patio. I blinked as I scanned the group of strangers until one stood up and turned to face me. It was him. His hair was shorter and wavy, rather than the straight hair he'd always had in my dreams. But his eyes were the same. I felt myself fall into his eyes as he came closer. His touch was electrifying when his hand cupped my cheek and I leaned into it. When he pulled me down to his lips, I gave no resistance. My only thought before I kissed him was echoed in his spoken word.

"Mine."

 

I sat in the deck chair and looked out at the strange mix of folks in the yard. Anthony was on my lap, sipping at a cup of hot chocolate, and Josen was snuggled up to my side. Periodically I'd lean down and kiss one or the other of them on the tops of their heads. Each time, whichever one I'd recognized would look up at me with a smile and sigh before going back to their original position.

Joshua and Alex had given me earnest assurances that I would remain a fixed part of Anthony's life and had also said they were working on our living arrangements. Then Anthony had insisted on staying with me for our "special after work time". And here I'd thought it was just me that thought it was special. They'd grinned, ruffled his hair, and each given him a kiss on the cheek before going out into the yard and talking with Miss Sherry. Now and then, they'd glance over at us and give a small wave and smile before going back to their discussion.

Mandy was lying under the large spread oak tree with her head in Adrian's lap. It amazed me how much more alive she seemed. She was still far too thin, but gone was the faded gray in her skin, replaced by a healthy creamy complexion that tinted rose when I or the others complimented her. The faded pond green of her eyes had been replaced with a bright sea green that sparkled with laughter and love when she gazed at Anthony. The only times I saw anything but happiness in her expression was when she looked at Anthony's fathers. Then there was a hint of grief. I suppose they would tell me later of what caused the look—if I ever cared to ask.

Adrian was something of an anomaly to me. At first glance, he radiated danger. But as I watched him, his tenderness with Mandy overlaid every movement he made. He was always in direct contact with her—holding her hand, touching her face, laying his hand at the small of her back—a more tactile person; I don't think I'd ever seen. I knew without a shadow of doubt that Mandy couldn't be safer or more loved than with Adrian.

TJ and Sean were a contrast of appearances.

TJ was a huge, mountain of a man. He reminded me of one of those massive Samoan body builders, only his skin was a darker bronze. The other peculiarity was his eyes—the darkest amethyst you could imagine. They were almost black. But when he looked at Sean, they brightened to a shade any jewel collector would pay high price for in a gem. And when he was angry, his eyes reminded me of cold, purple fire. TJ drew you to him even as your knees threatened to buckle in fear. He was one of the most handsome men I'd ever seen, and I'm sure even the toughest man's man would bow to his will.

Sean, on the other side of the spectrum, looked more like a young teen than a man. He was beautiful—not in the sense of a woman's beauty, but like a delicate angel. I could visualize him floating on the air with outstretched wings, watching over small children as they slept—although in the murals, angels all had golden hair and crystal blue eyes. His hair was ebony and his eyes were dark, midnight blue.

My attention went to the edge of the yard, near the back gate, when I noticed a flutter of movement. Even before turning my head, I knew it would be the elf, Saeldur.

The woman was with him, she had said her name was Samantha, her dark red hair shining in the waning sunlight. She had her back to me so I couldn't see her face, and she was talking with Miss Sherry. As I watched them, I realized there was a glow about her. It was like a shimmering, emerald smoke that rose and curled around her. A tingle in my mind told me that I'd seen the same glow, though not quite as bright, surround Sean and Adrian.

I glanced back where Joshua and Alex had been standing to see if Alex also had this smoky bright haze, but they weren't there any longer. Anthony moved in my lap and I saw that his chocolate was almost gone. Realizing that I'd just spent a great deal of time watching TJ and Sean—what could I say? They fascinated me—I turned back to the gate and the slight redhead with fiery green eyes.

Saeldur noticed my stare and nodded before speaking to Samantha. She turned and I could see the distinct resemblance between the two. Somewhere in the bloodlines, these two were related. I saw the same kind of resemblance with Alex, Adrian and Sean. It was in the bone structure, the color of the eyes, and even in the tone of their skin. I hadn't asked, but I knew that before we parted ways, their relationships would be revealed to me.

I watched as Samantha walked over to us. She stooped a bit and stretched out a hand, caressing Anthony's cheek with her fingers. With quiet tenderness, she smiled and asked him if he was finished with his drink.

"Uh huh," he was answering in his little boy voice as he gazed up into her face.

"Do you think I could steal your Uncle Brian away for a little bit?"

"Umm, okay. Maybe I could watch a movie with my daddies." Anthony moved to jump off my lap but stopped at the last second. "What about Uncle Josen? Are you going to steal him too? He doesn't like being away from his Brian."

Samantha laughed, and all movement in the backyard ceased. I could almost swear I heard bells. Not church bells, but small, tinkling charms that echoed across the desert grasses. Everyone had stopped talking and their attention was riveted on the four of us.

I blinked, and when I looked out at the others I saw them shake themselves momentarily before returning to their conversations. I thought back to my meeting with Saeldur and the effects his voice had had on me. I looked closer at Samantha, but couldn't really see any elf.

"No, little one, I would not ask them to be parted." She lifted Anthony and set him on the ground next to her, taking his small hand in hers. "Let's go ask, shall we?" Samantha looked into my eyes, my guess was for approval, and I nodded.

My lap did not stay empty for long. Before the surrounding air could cool the spot Anthony had occupied, I found it filled with the other half to my soul. He was a welcome weight in my arms, and a comforting heat against my chest as he snuggled in under my chin. Josen sighed in what sounded like contentment when I hugged him closer to me and combed my fingers through his hair.

"In my dreams, your hair is longer. I think I like it better now. I like the way it curls around my fingers."

As I said this, my hand brushed over his ear and Josen shuddered. I stilled my movement and looked down at him. The air was cool but comfortably pleasant so I didn't think he was cold. I brushed against his ear once again and was rewarded with a shudder and a moan. Josen's ears, it seemed, were extremely sensitive.

My thoughts were drawn to Saeldur and the inexplicable desire I'd had to touch his ears when we first met. I remembered the other difference between how Josen had appeared in my dreams next to the way he was in reality—his ears had been pointed.

Just as I opened my mouth to ask Josen if he knew why, Samantha returned.

"Brian, I need you to come with me. What I am about to show you may be difficult, but I believe it is necessary for you to see," she said.

We stood to follow Samantha. "What's going on?" Josen asked as he gripped my hand.

"I don't know, Josen. But I trust Saeldur. And I think whatever this is— it's his idea to involve us."

"You mean you."

"No." I stopped walking for a minute and looked down at him as he frowned. "There is no me—only us." I put my finger beneath his chin and raised it so he had to look me in the eye. "You understand what I'm saying here, Josen? No me... no you... it's us from now on."

The smile that transformed his face was priceless. He didn't speak, but the hug he gave me said more than words ever could.

We continued on to the gate where Samantha waited with Saeldur—Miss Sherry had moved again. As we arrived, a shadow fell over us. I turned and found TJ coming up, with Sean at his side. They both had equal serious expressions which seemed to fade into something more in line with sympathy when they caught my eye. I guessed they were to be a part of whatever I needed to see.

We walked through the gate to a large SUV parked at the curb. I was surprised at the interior of the vehicle. It was wide open inside, with bucket seats in front and a bench seat all the way in the back. The middle was nothing but empty space.

"Wow," I said as TJ slipped into the driver's position and Sean into the front passenger seat. "You sit in separate seats? I think that's the farthest apart I've seen you two since we met. Well... after Sean took me outside anyway."

Sean looked back at me and grinned. "You think so?" His right hand slipped down to his side. Before I knew what was happening, Sean wiggled his eyebrows and his seat slid to the left. TJ lifted the armrests from between them and gave a low growl as he kissed Sean thoroughly.

Saeldur laughed at what must have been pure astonishment written all over my face. "As you are seeing, this vehicle has been extensively modified."

"Yeah, I can tell." I looked at all the space between the front and back seats. "So... where's the mattress?"

"No mattress," TJ said as he started the engine. "We do not sleep inside the truck."

"Then why—"

"Sit down, Brian," Samantha said.

The rear seat had enough space for the four of us so I sat at one end with Josen cuddled up next to me. Samantha sat beside him and Saeldur took the opposite end.

Josen stretched up to my ear and whispered, "They had to make it this way for Adrian. He doesn't like closed places." He must have seen the question in my eyes because his next words were, "I'll explain later."

I nodded and put my arm around his shoulders as he leaned into my chest.

It was a short drive and I could feel anxiety begin to creep into my being as we pulled up in front of the sheriff's office. I'd met the big man a couple of times. He was good at his job, and his demeanor was pleasant enough, but after the brawl in the diner I wasn't so sure I wanted to be there.

"You have nothing to be worried about, Brian"

I looked across at Samantha and shrugged. "If you say so."

"I do," she replied with a smile. The smile, though, didn't quite reach her eyes. There was a cold fury dwelling in her gaze that all but chilled me to the core.

Then she blinked. The icy glint was gone and in its place was tenderness. I had a feeling that the anger portrayed, only a second prior, was for someone else. More than anything in my short life span, I was glad it wasn't me she was angry with.

We left the SUV and went inside. Sheriff Anders met us at the railing separating the outer reception area from the working space beyond. He looked from Saeldur to Samantha for a minute before nodding and pulling a gate to allow us to enter.

"He's being held in one of the back offices. Follow me, please."

"Who's being held," I whispered to TJ. He'd waited as we entered until he and Sean were at the rear of our small group. He didn't answer but only shook his head.

The sheriff opened an office door and stepped out of the way, allowing us to enter before him. I was hesitant to follow Saeldur and Samantha into the room. Anxiety filled me and spread out so that it felt as though my skin was covered with crawling insects. The air felt thick with my apprehension and it became hard to breathe. I'd never been afraid of anyone; not since the day my father had raised his hand against me, the day I came out. But I felt it at the threshold of that door. I had yet to see who was waiting inside, but everything in me said he, or she, was danger incarnate.

A slight nudge from TJ caused me to move. Once inside, I froze.

I decided to continue on with this story for a more complete ending.
Copyright © 2013 Labrador; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm glad you are continuing this story I very much enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Link to comment
On 04/07/2013 10:03 AM, Daithi said:
I'm glad you are continuing this story I very much enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next chapter.
Thank you. Hopefully I'll answer any loose ends. If not, then maybe you guys will ask the questions so I can.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..