Jump to content
    Labrador
  • Author
  • 1,656 Words
  • 1,141 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Starlight in the Heavens - 23. Chapter 23

Alex's perspective.

Part 23 - Alex

 

After the last few months with the female version of Josen, I was a bit skeptical of this new male version. But as we sat on the porch, waiting for TJ, Sean, and Adrian, and just talked, I found him to be rather charming. He was an intriguing conversationalist, even as his memory from before last night faded.

He was cute, too, with a dimple in his left cheek that showed every time he smiled. And those eyes of his glittered like raindrops in sunlight when he laughed. He was almost like a little boy in his new found enthusiasm for life.

Josen had been able to tell us a little about his change from starlight to human, but it was patchy—other than when he told of the searing pain. Evidently, Sean had been able to help him endure it. I didn't pretend to understand my new cousins. Maybe with time my mind could begin to unravel the wonders that they are. All I could do for now was accept them.

As we sat, Joshua ran the fingers of one hand up and down my spine, now and then moving them up into my hair before continuing as before. He didn't say much and I noticed that now and then he'd pause and look off to the side of the porch. A couple of times I looked when he did, but I didn't see anything to draw his attention.

I asked Josen what made him decide to change.

Pain flickered in his eyes, but only for a couple seconds. "It was the agony of a bonded soul." I studied him as he studied his hands. "Can I ask you guys a personal question?"

"Sure," I said.

"Did you dream about each other?"

Joshua's hands stopped moving when I flinched; then started up again almost immediately. He answered before I could.

"No, I didn't. But, I knew we were meant to be together in the first second after setting my eyes on him. Why? Have you been dreaming of someone?"

Josen nodded and looked up at me, waiting for my answer.

"Yes." I know he wanted more of an answer, but I didn't want to give it to him. My dreams had caused me to act, and in those actions Joshua had been hurt. Sure, there was a reason—a purpose, if you will—for the things they caused me to do. But the hurt was still there, and it was still in the forefront of my mind.

I think he understood. At least, it seemed as though he did when he nodded again and a flush rose in his cheeks. He turned his head and gazed out at the town in the distance. I could almost see the wheels of thought turning in his head.

And all the while, Joshua's hand moved—up, down, up, a gentle squeeze to the back of my neck. And then the cycle would begin again.

Josen turned back and gave a long, deep sigh. His eyes glazed over as he told us of the man he had dreamed about. "He has the most beautiful eyes. They're mostly brown, but with flecks of gold and green. His hair is thick and silky, the color of milk chocolate. He keeps it short, but for his bangs, which for some reason he likes long. Sometimes they hang in his eyes, obscuring the emotions that would otherwise be read there."

Josen cocked his head. "Perhaps that is the reason. His face is strong and honest. There is no deceit in his expression, only truth. His lips draw me. They call for me to come to him." His eyes cleared and looked directly into mine. "He is the reason for my change."

We sat for a while longer in silence, until Joshua's hand froze in place at my neck.

"Holy shit," he exclaimed and I looked out where his eyes were fixed.

I recognized the black leopard from the night before, but he was all but dwarfed by the huge black tiger that walked ahead and to the side of him. It had to be TJ. I looked around, trying to find Sean, but it wasn't until they were almost to the steps that I finally saw him—immediately to TJ's rear and next to Adrian. My chin dropped at the sight of the pure white leopard with midnight blue eyes.

He was barely half the size of Adrian, and looked more like a kitten next to TJ. He walked up the steps as TJ surveyed the surrounding area, and stopped at my knees. Never, in my wildest imagination, had I expected this. I'd thought, after seeing Adrian, that Sean would be like him. Sure, he'd be smaller. That much was a given, since as men, Adrian was bigger. But the color... white as new snow. There wasn't a blemish of any other color anywhere in his coat.

He rested his chin on my knees and my hands trembled as I placed them on either side of his face. I felt as though I was facing royalty and I was infinitesimal before him.

Then he began to purr, and actually climbed up so that his head pushed into my chest. I laughed as my fingers pushed into his thick pelt. It was so soft. Adrian's coat had been both soft and coarse, but Sean's had no coarse feel to it at all. It was a kitten's fur, even though I knew he was no young-ling.

TJ sounded out a rumbling, something like a growl with a purr imbedded. I giggled as Sean snorted and backed away. It seems he was rather enjoying getting petted, and didn't like the interruption. I looked past him to the door just as Adrian disappeared into the cabin. Mmm, nice ass on that man. I giggled again when Sean looked back at me and chuffed. Both, because of the thought that he had heard what I was thinking, and, because the noise he made sounded funny coming from a cat.

The look I got from Joshua just made me giggle more.

"Oh come on. You think it was a nice ass too."

His eyes went wide in mock indignation. "Now, Alex. You know you're the only one that turns my head."

"Yeah. But you didn't have to turn to see it. Now did you."

"Hmm. I guess you got me there."

Josen snickered as he stood to go inside. "I guess that will be my excuse too."

 

It wasn't long before the six of us found ourselves on the road again. Me, Joshua and Josen back in the Tahoe, and TJ, Sean and Adrian in a Ford Excursion. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the big SUV was needed for the three of them. TJ was huge, so he took a lot of room in the driver's seat, but I had a feeling it was more for Adrian. The truck had been modified so that almost the entire back of the vehicle was open space.

It was clear, any enclosed spaces made Adrian extremely nervous. It made me sad once again to think about what he'd had to go through to make him the way he was. I didn't have to know his father to develop a growing hatred for the man. But then, they'd said he wasn't a man at all. He was a monster.

Joshua took the lead and soon I could feel the pull of the line that would lead us to Anthony. It wouldn't be long now before we'd reach our son. I could see his face from my dreams, both as the child and as the young man. The flutter in my belly grew to a raging wave as we traversed the miles. I could sense the nervous excitement in Joshua as well and scooted closer to him, ignoring the discomfort of the center console as I rested my hand on his thigh. He glanced at me and smiled with bright eyes.

The turn that would take us to Anthony was only a mile away when TJ screamed around us and took over the lead. Now my excitement turned to fear. Something must be dreadfully wrong to cause him to pass at that speed. Joshua stepped on the gas, keeping TJ close within his sights, white knuckling it the whole way. We didn't even slow down at the stop sign, but barreled right through the small intersection. Joshua followed TJ into the parking lot of a small diner, tires screeching to a halt, threw the truck into park and killed the motor.

By the time we had our seatbelts off and the doors open, TJ and Adrian were out of the Expedition. In a shimmer of bright light, they had shed their clothes, shifted and run to opposite sides of the diner. Sean met us before we could follow.

"Wait. This is not something you can help with."

There was an immediate crash coming from the restaurant interior followed by the unmistakable roar of a very large animal.

Joshua and I looked at each other.

"TJ," Josh said and I nodded in agreement.

We waited impatiently, fidgeting as we stood. I wanted nothing more than to run inside, but I had no idea what was happening—or even if Anthony was inside. It was all supposition at this point, but the line drawing us, ended here.

It was several long minutes before Sean began to walk to the front door of the diner. We followed close enough that when he stopped before opening the door and tried to turn around, we both crashed into him.

I noticed two things as our bodies connected.

One—Sean was small, but he was a rock. He didn't even begin to stumble when both of us hit him as one.

Two—Josen was nowhere in sight.

Alex's perspective.
Copyright © 2013 Labrador; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..