Jump to content
    Lee Wilson
  • Author
  • 9,323 Words
  • 2,545 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is an original work of gay and bisexual fiction. None of the people or events are real. While some of the town names used may be real, any other geographic references (school, events) are purely fictional. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is completely coincidental. This story depicts sexual situations between both young men, a young woman and a young man and a boy. If reading this is illegal where you reside, or you are not at least 18 years of age, you are reading at your own risk. This work is the property of the author, Lee R Wilson, and shall not be reproduced and/or re-posted without his permission.

Don't Blame The Band - 1. Chapter 1 - Don't Blame the Band

Why is that when things are going well, something really awful happens? Or maybe it's better to ask why when things are going well, do I make an awful decision?

As the song goes, please allow me to introduce myself. I'm Peter Daggett. I usually go by Pete, except for when mom is mad at me, then it's Peter Terrance Daggett. If anyone else is mad at me, it'll be dickhead, asshole, or if they're really mad, fucking asshole. That last is the latest I've heard. Eddie Nash, co-leader of the band I'm in, no, scratch that, probably used to be in, used those as his parting words.

You look confused. Hmmm, maybe starting at the end of the story is indeed going to be confusing to you all. So starting at the beginning... I was born on July 13th, 1971... What? Too far back? Geez, you are all so picky. OK, spring of 1988.

I guess the story really begins at my next-to-last high school chorus concert as a junior. After the concert, which was held during the last two periods of school, a girl I've known through nearly half of my school years, Cathy Romano, came up to me and complimented my singing. Not the first time this has happened to me, but this time there were future implications. Oh boy, is that a fucking understatement as you'll soon learn.

Thursday June 2

"Hi Pete. I never realized you were such a good singer."

"Thanks Cathy. Yeah, it wasn't until this last concert that Mr. Casgrove gave me a solo. After hearing it the first time, he felt the same way and extended it. It was really nice to have a long solo like that."

"Based on the applause, I don't think I'm the only one in the audience that felt that way."

"Um, yeah."

A blush accompanied that last statement. I've never been one to easily take compliments.

"Do you sing much outside of chorus?"

"Not really. I sing along when I'm listening to the radio, either at home or in my car, but not publicly in any way."

"Would you like to?"

"Yeah, I guess. Just never had the opportunity outside of chorus."

"My cousin Gabriel is in a band and their lead singer just quit. I can talk to him and suggest you as a replacement."

"Um. Wow. I guess it couldn't hurt to try. What kind of music do they play?"

"Mostly southern rock, but some classic rock too."

"That's most of what I listen to, although I like some heavy metal too. Yeah. Talk to him and let me know afterward."

Monday June 6

We shared a few classes. Like I said, I've known her a long time, but never too well. Cathy had turned 17 a couple months ago, so she's less than 6 months older than me. I'd be getting to know her really well over the next month or so. Anyway, the following Monday she came up to me after history class.

"Pete, can we eat lunch together? I talked to Gabe over the weekend."

"Yeah, sure."

We head to the cafeteria, grab some grub and sit in a corner, away from most of the crowd. Both of us being somewhat loners, we did get a few questioning glances. Jealous much people? Cathy's a looker.

"So, like I said, I talked to Gabe. I went to see their show Friday night and caught up with them afterward. They haven't found a replacement yet and are pretty desperate to find one. They all sing backup so they shared the duties singing lead since Sean quit. None of them are as good as Sean was, and Sean is nowhere as good as you. Anyway, I got them to agree to an audition for you. They practice at Eddie's house most nights after dinner. You think you can make it one night this week?"

"Yeah. I'm off from the store tomorrow and Thursday, no other plans at the moment."

"OK. I'll call Gabe after school. I'm free tomorrow, I'd like to go along if you don't mind?"

"Not at all. I'd probably be more comfortable with someone there that I know."

We chatted a little more over lunch, definitely the longest discussion I've ever had with her. Hell, to be honest, with any girl. I even told her I'd pick her up beforehand. Surprised myself actually, I've always been pretty shy around girls. Even more so pretty girls, which Cathy was.

Tuesday June 7

So Tuesday a little after 6 I head to Cathy's house to pick her up. Her cousin and the rest of the band live in the next town over, Middletown. We get to Eddie's house right on time at 6:30. She knows the rest of the band pretty well, having gone to see them perform quite a few times because of Gabe. She makes introductions. To summarize:

- Eddie Nash - 19 - keyboards
- David Nash - 19 - drums (Eddie's twin brother)
- Rich Larkin - 18 - lead guitar
- Gabriel Romano - 18 - second guitar
- Anthony Rossi - 17 - bass guitar

They call themselves The Swarm. All of the members of the band are older than I am. But I'll be 17 in July, a little more than 1 month away. So no uncomfortable age differences. Eddie and David started the band a few years ago as The Nash Mash. That didn't last too long after a couple new members. A handful of personnel changes have occurred over that time as well. Gabe is actually the most recent member. They go over what songs they sing. We settle on a few I'll join them for, 'Hold on Loosely' by 38 Special, 'Whiskey Man' by Molly Hatchet, and they really want to challenge me with Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Free Bird.' Like Cathy told me, mostly southern rock.

When we finish that set, they're all looking at me strangely. I'm thinking they don't like me for some reason. It takes a few seconds before anybody speaks up. Anthony is the first one to find his voice.

"Holy fuck Pete! You're not already in a band? Am I wrong guys, or is he fucking awesome?"

Eddie finds his voice next.

"Yeah Ant. I'm wondering if his real name is Van Zant. Any of you idiots think he shouldn't join us?"

Rich is a bit of a wise-ass.

"Sean who?"

Chuckles all around, but nobody else speaks up. Eddie looks at David, apparently getting non-verbal confirmation with maybe a nod that only he can see.

"You're in. When can you come back to practice? I mean we can do a couple more songs today, Gabe said you live in Red Bank near his cousin."

"Yeah. I work at Wal-Mart, unfortunately busy most evenings. I'm off again Thursday and can come back during the day Saturday. I can try to get more days off next week."

"I don't know about anybody else, but I really don't want to play too long with the rest of us as replacement singers. We play at 'Garson's Hideout' in Atlantic Highlands on Friday and Saturday nights. We split the pay equally, so with six in the band it's $75 each per night. Cash. Would that be enough for you to quit your job and be here more often?"

"Gee, I was kind of hoping to make cleaning toilets at Wal-Mart my career. Ha ha. Before taxes I'd have to practically be full-time to clear that much. This weekend would be too soon, but I can make my last day next Wednesday or Thursday and with an extra day off or two, I think I can get here 4 or 5 times, assuming this Saturday afternoon works for you guys."

"Yeah, we usually do a light warm-up on Saturdays, but we can practice a couple extra songs this week. Thursday is a normal practice day already. Everybody else cool with a little extra time Saturday?"

They all agree that for the next week or so they'll bend around my schedule. After doing a couple more songs, we all shake hands. I feel a little rush when I shake Anthony's hand. There's something about him I can't explain, but it felt real nice. I think we may have shaken hands a bit longer than normal too. That and he grabbed my arm with his other hand as well.

"Ant is a little touchy-feely. You'll get used to it." Eddie explains. He'll later find out how used to it I get.

Eddie breaks out some beer and sodas. I'm not much of a drinker, plus I have to drive Cathy and me home, so I stick with a soda. After another 15 minutes or so of just hanging out, getting to know each other a little better, and trading phone numbers, Cathy and I say goodbye.

"I knew they were going to like you. Did you like them?"

"Yeah they were all pretty cool. Hopefully it'll work out. I guess I can always get a job at another store if it doesn't."

"It will. I can feel it."

Yeah, I felt something too, but it was only with Anthony. And damn confusing because I'm attracted to Cathy big time.

"Will you come back with me on Thursday? I feel pretty comfortable around them. I'd just feel more confident with you there too."

"Sure. I love listening to them play. And with you singing, it's so much better than when Sean was in the group."

"Cool. Um, do you want to maybe stop for pizza or a burger beforehand on Thursday? Or are you seeing someone already and that won't work?"

"No. I mean yes, we can stop first. I'm not seeing anyone right now."

"Great. It's a date then."

"Yes."

Cathy gets out of the car. She seems to be real happy. Hell I am too. I've had a few dates with girls before, but like I said, being shy, nothing ever really worked out. I feel a lot more comfortable around Cathy than with any other girl. I'm hoping that maybe it gets more serious in time.

Thursday June 9

I pick her up a little earlier on Thursday so we can stop to eat. She likes pizza too so we stop to get a couple slices each. Practice with the guys goes great. I seem to be fitting in well, both vocally and personality-wise. At the end of the night, I drop Cathy off and walk her to her door.

"Well, goodnight. I enjoyed being with you. Thanks for coming along."

"You're welcome. I had a good time too. I really like listening to you sing."

"Thanks. Um, do you think maybe I could have a goodnight kiss?"

There's enough light from her porch light for her to see I'm blushing big time as I ask.

"You're cute when you blush. Yes, you can kiss me."

I give her a short kiss on the lips, more than a peck but well short of making out.

"Good night. Do you want to come along on Saturday too?"

"I would, but we're going to my grandmother's for her birthday."

"OK. What time are you leaving? I can call beforehand and maybe we can do something Sunday?"

"Yeah, that'd be great. Probably around noon."

"OK. Goodnight."

I lean in for another kiss.

"Goodnight Pete. See you Sunday hopefully."

I talk to Cathy on Saturday before she leaves for grandma's. She says her parents want to meet me. She told them about me, so they invited me over for dinner Sunday. I tell her I'm working until 5 and can come over right afterward if that works. She puts the phone down for a minute to check. She comes back and says that will be fine.

Sunday June 12

I've never had more than 2 dates with any girl, so never had been forced to meet the parents, and I'm pretty nervous as I walk up to Cathy's door and ring the bell. She must have been waiting right by the door because it opens immediately. She glances behind her, not sure why because I don't see anything. Then I figure out why when she leans in for a kiss hello.

"Hi Pete. Come on in. We're all sitting in the living room. They want to visit before dinner."

"Hi Cathy. Um, yeah, whatever they want I guess."

"Don't be nervous, they won't attack you. He he..."

"Mom, dad, this is Pete Daggett. Pete, my parents, and my brother RB."

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Romano. It's nice to meet you. And hello RB. Why RB?"

Cathy explains he's a Robert like their father, Robert Benjamin, but has been RB since he was young.

Her parents both say hello but RB just gives me a nod and a slight smile.

Mrs. Romano starts out first.

"It's nice to meet you too. Cathy tells us you two have known each other since 7th grade. So, why haven't we met you before? Just kidding."

"We went to different elementary schools but had a few classes together in 7th. I've always been a bit of a loner. I stick to myself and one or two good friends mostly. But, yeah, we've always been friendly, just never got to know each other too well until very recently."

"Yes, she did say you're mostly quiet. And you've joined our nephew Gabriel's band?"

"Yes. She told me they were looking for a singer after the choral concert last week. And after she complimented me on my singing. Up until then I knew I sang pretty well, but since then, I guess I've impressed a lot of people."

Mr. Romano finally joins the conversation.

"Yes, she practically dragged us to the concert last Friday night. I was reluctant at first, I mean, really who wants to go see a bunch of high school kids sing if your kid isn't one of them?"

"Robert. Be nice."

"Sorry Carol. Anyway, I'm actually very glad we did go. You are indeed quite talented. I just hope you're not a typical 'rock star.'"

Mrs. Romano glares at her husband once more.

"It's OK Mrs. Romano. No, I don't think I will be. I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke, so grass will never be a problem. Half the time I need to leave the room when my father smokes because I can't breathe. I don't drink. I've tried a couple different things to be honest, beer, scotch, but it all tasted like sh, um horrible."

"That's good to know. I appreciate your honesty about having tried alcohol."

RB has been tapping Cathy almost constantly. Mrs. Romano gives him the opportunity to talk.

"Go ahead RB, I think you'll burst if you don't get to say something."

He whispers to Cathy who repeats his questions, after an explanation.

"RB is really shy around strangers. What kind of music do you like? His favorites are Cheap Trick. Who's your favorite?"

"I like a lot of different kinds. I'd say my favorites are ELO, Journey, Molly Hatchet. Groups like that. Although I do like hard rock too."

Again, through Cathy.

"What's your favorite song? He says 'The Flame' is his favorite. That's Cheap Trick too."

"Um. I like a lot. The Flame is a good song, but probably my favorite is 'Fall of the Peacemakers' by Molly Hatchet."

"He's never heard of them. What are they like?"

"OK RB. Pete will answer that question, but you have to let others talk too."

He nods and looks at me expectantly.

"They're country rock, like a lot of the things Gabe's band plays. But the mix of music and lyrics is what makes that song special."

"I've think I've heard that one. Is it the one that sort of talks about John Lennon and JFK?"

"Yes Cathy. That's it."

"A rock song that talks about JFK? That seems odd."

"A little Mr. Romano. But I know of at least one more. 'Abraham, Martin, and John' by Dion. Abe Lincoln, Martin Luther King, JFK, and even Bobby Kennedy are the subjects. Actually, it's not all that different topically than Fall of the Peacemakers."

"Maybe you can sing them for us after dinner. If you wouldn't mind. Speaking of which, I've got to go start cooking. Would you like something to drink before I get busy?"

"Sure, a soda. Anything, as long as it's not diet. And yes, I'd be happy to sing them for you."

"RB, why don't you go and help your mother and Cathy in the kitchen for a bit. I'd like to talk to Pete alone for a bit."

"(Quietly) Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition."

The rest of them leave the room.

"RB's very quiet."

"He had a bad experience when he was younger. Cathy understated his shyness around strangers. He's usually extremely uncomfortable."

"Oh, that's too bad. I like him. He seems like a good kid. How old is he? It's kind of hard to tell.

"He is a good kid. He's almost 18. He doesn't seem like it because of that early trauma. Plus he's small for his age. Anyway. I don't want to seem like a hard-ass, forgive the French, but I'm quite protective of my daughter. While you seem nice, people aren't always what they seem."

"I understand. My parents are on the strict, slightly overprotective side. Not meaning you're overprotective..."

"Yes. Like I said, people aren't always what they seem, but there are certain things they can't hide very well. Unless you're a wonderful actor in addition to singer, I don't think you're hiding anything. I do have to ask a few things though, and sorry if this embarrasses you but as a father of a teenage daughter, I hope you'll understand."

"Go right ahead. I'll blush if I have to but will give you honest answers."

"I believe you will. Have you had sex with many girls?"

"Wow. Direct and to the point. No. I haven't had sex with any girls yet."

"By your surprise I'm guessing Cathy never told you what I did for a living?"

"No she didn't but I'm guessing police chief, district attorney, or judge?"

"The second. Well, assistant DA with Monmouth county."

"Very nice. I like to watch legal shows and movies. My memory isn't good enough for all the memorization necessary for law school, but I might have considered it otherwise. My dad's a lawyer too. Corporate though."

"Good to know. Back to, as RB put it, the inquisition. Have you ever had sex with another boy?"

"No. Not that either. And before you ask, no animals either."

But why did I think of Anthony just then?

"Ha ha. I wasn't going to ask that, but I may have to add it to my repertoire if needed in the future. This next one is a tricky one to answer. If you had the chance, would you have sex with my daughter?"

"I see how that can be tricky. I can tell you like honesty, so... Yes, I would. After we knew each other a lot better and in all likelihood not until we were at least engaged."

"So if Carol and I were to go away for a weekend with RB, you wouldn't take that as an invitation?"

"No. I was brought up to respect women, well, people in general. I wouldn't try to take advantage of her like that."

"And if she begged you to?"

"Wow. Um. Honestly, once again. I'm a teenage boy. If she really wanted to, and I was at the point where I liked her enough, even loved her, yes I probably would."

"OK. I believe you've answered honestly. Granted a no answer across the board might have seemed better to give, but that would have been hard to believe."

"I would imagine so. I'll not say I'm perfect, but I do like to be honest as much as I can."

"Stand up."

"Um, OK."

I stand up and he does too. He holds his hand out to shake mine. I give him a firm grip and a couple pumps.

"Very good. I didn't want to feel a wimpy handshake. You passed so far. Only one more test."

"Thank you sir."

"RB, can you come in here for a second?"

He appears almost immediately. Again, it seems everything he does say is said quietly.

"Yeah, dad?"

"Is your mom almost finished with dinner?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Good. I want you to shake Peter's hand."

RB reaches out and I take his hand and shake it firmly, but not as hard as with his father. I don't want to hurt him.

After a couple seconds, the handshake turns into a hug. Mr. Romano seems shocked by this. Well, I am too.

"That's very unusual. He must sense something very good about you. You can stay if you want RB, the serious discussion is over."

RB comes over to the couch when I sit back down and sits right up against me. It gets a little uncomfortable when he grabs my hand, but I let him. Then it gets strange when he starts firing away.

"I'm glad my dad likes you. I like you too. You're a good person. I think it's cool you're in Gabe's band. I've only gotten to see them play once, but I think they're really good. Can you talk to them about playing 'The Flame'? Maybe I'll get to go see them more often since you're Cathy's boyfriend."

I didn't tell RB that they already did play that one. I'll have to say something to Cathy to keep her from mentioning it so we could surprise him.

"No offense Mr. Romano, but I think you were wrong about one more test. You're testing my patience with RB's barrage of questions."

"Unintentional, and very unusual, but yes, I guess that is a good test for a potential son-in-law."

I must have looked like someone shot me.

"Just kidding. If in a few years that happens, fine, but you'll do as boyfriend for now."

"Mom says..."

She hesitates when she sees RB sitting so close and holding my hand. I simply shrug.

"Um, wow. I've never seen him do that. Anyway, dinner is ready, if you men-folk would care to join us in the dining room?"

"Thanks, Cathy, my lovely daughter."

"Oh daaad. Well, Pete's still here, so you obviously don't hate him. And RB must like him too."

"No I don't hate him, I think you chose well, or at least agreed to date a respectable boy."

"Sorry if he put you through the wringer Pete. I probably should have mentioned what he did for a living."

"It's OK. He did, but I survived. He he."

We all sit down to a nice dinner. Conversation over dinner quite a bit tamer than the last talk. After dinner, we go back to the living room.

"So were you serious about singing those two songs for us?"

"Yes I was Mrs. Romano. I love singing. If I can run out to my car for a minute. I keep a notebook with the lyrics to a lot of my favorite songs. I'm a little unsure of the order in 'Abraham, Martin, and John.' If you'll excuse me?"

"Of course. Cathy, if you would be so kind to let him back in?"

"Yes."

She lets me back in and we sneak another kiss. I return with my songbook. After I finish singing 'Abraham, Martin, and John' and a few tears wiped by Mrs. Romano....

"Why, that was lovely, but sad. You said that was Dion. So it was the 60's?"

"Yes. 1968 actually. I think I was born a decade or two too late. I like a lot of the 50's and 60's music."

"Sing the other one. Please, please?"

"Sure RB. There's usually a long guitar introduction to this one, so I need to play the last bit of the intro in my head first."

I finish singing the song and once again Mrs. Romano sheds a few tears.

"I don't know which I liked better, the song itself or your singing."

"Thanks Mrs. Romano. The actual song is quite a bit longer than that with all the guitar work. It's a little like hard rock, quite intense, but far from heavy metal. I like the lyrics a lot, but it's really the music that does it for me."

"You'll have to bring a recording of it next time you come over. Even though you describe it as a little like hard rock, it's the lyrics in a lot of hard rock songs that I don't like."

"Gentle reminder to self, don't sing Black Sabbath or Judas Priest around the Romanos. Ha ha. I'll bring the cassette next time."

"Thank you. I think we'd like that."

I decide to start singing 'The Flame' for RB. He's clapping as I start, then wears a huge smile through the rest. After I finish he gives me another big hug.

"That was nice of you Pete. Thank you. I don't think I've ever seen him that happy, that long."

"You're welcome Mrs. Romano. Maybe I'll make a tape for him of it."

"Would you?"

"Sure, now get off me, you're a lot bigger than a lap dog. Ha ha."

"RB, why don't you go to your room or watch TV and we'll give Pete and your sister a little quiet time alone. We've monopolized him enough for today."

He apparently doesn't want to leave, but agrees.

"OK dad."

Cathy's family leaves us alone in the living room. I'm kind of wondering if this is another test. I'm hoping maybe we can at least get some more kisses in.

"You just made a friend for life, you know."

"Because I was nice to your brother? I thought you were already my friend for life."

"I meant him, silly... It's amazing how he took to you. What happened?"

"Your dad's final test was RB shaking my hand, but he immediately turned it into a hug."

"Yeah, he can sense things about people. One time he ran to his room saying 'no no no' constantly. That guy was arrested for possession a month later. But I never went out with him again after RB's reaction."

"Wow. That's amazing, but I bet you lose more boyfriends that way."

"Only one other. But usually he's pretty neutral... It's OK. They won't come back for a while. If you want to kiss me some more, it's fine."

"He's psychic and you're a mind reader, huh?"

Cathy and I start kissing, a little slowly and gently at first. I open my mouth and rubs my tongue across her lips and she responds in kind. Soon we are kissing deeply, holding on to each other. I keep my hands on her shoulders and back. If we get caught kissing that's one thing. I don't want to get caught groping her right after I meet her parents. Although after a few minutes of kissing, groping is definitely on my mind. We stop after a while to talk.

"Mmm, that was nice Pete. I hope we can do it more. Without my parents in almost the next room of course."

"Yeah, I'd like that too."

"My parents really like you. A couple times I've had a boy over and they didn't spend as much time with us and put a time limit on how long they let us be alone. Not formally, but my dad let it be known he'd be passing through in some amount of time to go shower. Depending on how little or much he liked them. It could be 10 minutes or a half hour. He never mentioned that at all when he left."

"I like them too. You dad was pretty blunt with his questions, but I think I satisfied him with my answers."

"You definitely did. You'll have to share it with me some time. If it doesn't make you too uncomfortable."

"It shouldn't."

After we talk a little more, and kiss a little more, we get up and go into their family room, where her parents are.

"Thanks for dinner Mr. and Mrs. Romano. I'll be leaving now. I have some homework to finish before school tomorrow. The last week and we still have homework."

"You're welcome. Please come back, you can join us any time."

"I'll do that. Good night."

Mr. Romano gets up to once again shake my hand. He also gives me a quick hug.

"Goodnight Pete. Drive safe."

Cathy walks me to the door and we sneak in a couple more kisses before I leave. I see RB peeking around a corner.

"Goodnight RB. Be good."

He's scared because he got caught spying.

"Um. Bye. Sorry, but I wanted to say goodbye too."

"It's OK. Come here... (quietly) the kissing, our little secret, OK bud?"

I give him a little hug to show I'm not angry.

"Yeah, sure. Bye."

He's obviously very happy to be part of the secret.

"Yep, friend for life. Goodnight Pete."

"Goodnight Cathy, see you in school."

Friday June 17

I got to practice with the group twice more after Saturday and before my debut tonight. I obviously invited Cathy to come along. When I stopped to pick her up, RB came out with her. We planned that ahead of time though because The Swarm plays 'The Flame.' Playing along, Cathy says,

"I'm sorry, he begged mom and dad to let him come along. He almost never goes anywhere, so they said OK."

"It's OK. Even though he's older, he can be like the little brother I never had. Plus you won't have to sit alone."

"Thanks Pete."

"No sweat."

We arrive at the restaurant/bar.

"OK, I gotta catch up with the guys. I'll see you during the break."

Garson's Hideout has a store room next to the stage, so that's where I met the rest of the guys. As usual, Eddie takes the lead.

"Nervous?"

"A little, there's a pretty good crowd."

"It's usually a little bigger. I guess some people weren't too happy with the last 2 week's performances. But I have a feeling you're going to knock this audience dead and bring even more back."

"I hope so."

"OK, we'll get up on stage first, and then I'll introduce you as our new lead singer."

"Got it."

They all go up on stage. Eddie stops center stage initially before taking his place at his keyboards.

"Hello Atlantic Highlands!! Are you ready to rock?"

"Yeah!"

"Good. We are the Swarm for those of you who don't know, and for those of you who do know us, here's a pleasant surprise. Our new lead singer, and a vast improvement over the rest of us, for the first time with The Swarm, Pete Daggett!!"

Eddie heads for his keyboards, I run up on the stage. When I get to the microphone, Rich starts in with the intro to 'Whiskey Man.' After the song is over, there's quite a loud round of applause.

"Wow. Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm glad to be here. I hope I can do a good enough job the rest of the night. How about some Allman Brothers?"

Cheers. Once again, Rich starts us off. This time with the intro to 'Ramblin Man.' This song finishes to even louder cheers. If RB's cheering, he can't beat the crowd's noise. I look over and see him and Cathy. Sure enough, he's bouncing around and yelling. The next one starts off with Gabe playing the opening licks to 'Take it Easy' by the Eagles. We play a few more songs and end the first set with 'The Devil Went Down To Georgia.'

"Okay, we'll take a short break after this next one. We don't have a fiddle in the band, but Rich Larkin over there on lead guitar does a pretty good imitation. CDB!!! Hit it David!"

After we finish that we get a standing ovation. We take it in for a minute or so and head off the stage. I make my way to Cathy and RB's table among compliments, slaps on the back and high fives. As I sit down with them, a waitress, who has been given a heads up, brings me a Mountain Dew.

"This is awesome. You're even better than you were at the house. I'm glad mom and dad let me come. And thanks for bringing me Cath."

"Any time RB. It's good to see you get out. And he's right, it is awesome. I can't wait for the reaction after 'Free Bird.' You might get mobbed."

People are walking by, still giving me back slaps, high fives, and a number telling me how much better than Sean I am. Finally that slows down enough to actually talk.

"As long as you two and the band are happy, I don't really care what the crowd says. But yeah, I'm feeling pretty good about this."

I stay for a couple more minutes then head back to the store room to double-check on the songs for the second set. Another few minutes pass. That 20 minute break just flew by. We get back on the stage.

"Hello Garson's Hideout!! I'm going to take a minute to introduce the band. On my far left, one of the founders of the band. On keyboards, Eddie Nash!!"

Applause between all the introductions, so I won't repeat that over and over.

"On the drums, Eddie's brother, the other founding member, David Nash!! To my far right, lead guitarist, and fiddle impersonator I mentioned already, Rich Larkin!!! On the Bass, Anthony Rossi!!! And last but not least, the driver behind my joining up, with a lot of help from his cousin, Gabriel Romano!!! I think you'll recognize this next one too."

We start the second set with Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Sweet Home Alabama.'

"Feelin' good? Yeah!! OK, we're gonna slow it down just for a bit. I was actually pretty surprised when I found out these guys played this. It's a song off the Eagles' 'Hotel California' album, and one of my personal favorites. 'The Last Resort.' Eddie, if you don't mind?"

While not everybody in the crowd knows the song, enough do to sing along. We go right into '(Ghost) Riders in the Sky.' I jump off the stage for the 2-minute set of solos at the end, shaking hands and sharing high-fives.

"Yeah!!! You guys liked that one huh? Me too. I love getting in the audience, seeing who's here and making sure you're all having a good time. This next one's a surprise for a friend out there in the audience. Don't scream too loud bud, we want the rest of the folks to hear the song too."

Rich has his acoustic guitar and starts off 'The Flame.' RB cheers after a few notes. I point at him and give him a thumbs up. We play a few more and then set up for the close.

"It's been real fun you guys, but we're gonna have to leave after this one. When I auditioned with the band, they really wanted to give me a challenge, so this is one for the first songs I sang with these guys. I'm going to introduce it the way Ronnie Van Zant did. What song is it you wanna hear?"

"Free Bird!!!"

"Hit it Eddie!"

The crowd is up on their feet. I get them swaying during the intro, making them part of the show. They continue swaying throughout the whole song up until the guitar solo at the end. At that point I get them clapping along. I signal Cathy and RB to head over to the side of the stage. We close out the show to another standing ovation.

"Oh man. That had to be our best show ever. Damn, Pete, you're not only a great singer, you're an awesome showman."

Anthony steps up to me and gives me a big hug. I get that same feeling I got when I first shook his hand. It's like electricity is passing through my body. Not electric chair level, but like a buzzing I can feel all over. He releases the hug and the feeling stops.

"Thanks Ant. I was just being me. When I'm on stage, all my shyness goes away."

"Whatever it is, you definitely got it. Did you see the way the audience took to you?"

"Yeah Eddie. It's like I could get them to do anything."

"Sean never had a good rapport with the audience. He was an OK singer, but he was Ric Ocasek on stage, not Mick Jagger."

"I'll take that as a compliment Eddie."

"Peeeeeeeeeeete!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!"

"Whoa, slow down there RB. And you're welcome."

"Is this the friend?"

"Yeah, David. This is RB, Gabe's cousin. Cathy's brother."

"Our #1 fan. Hey Cath."

"Hi Eddie, guys."

"Cathy now has two links to the band."

"How so?"

"Cathy is now my girlfriend."

I could swear I saw a momentary look of disappointment on Anthony's face for a small fraction of a second. I wonder if he felt the same electricity that I did. If he did, he recovered quickly and congratulated us along with the rest of the guys. Paul Garson, the owner or manager of the club, I'm not really sure which, comes up to us.

"Great show guys. The crowd was really into it. I haven't seen the receipts yet, but I know the bar staff was busier than usual."

He looks at me.

"And where did you find this guy? He's a natural in front of a crowd."

Eddie, as usual, takes the lead.

"Actually Gabe introduced us to him, via his cousin here, Cathy."

"Well, thanks Gabe and Cathy. If the rest of your shows are going to be like this one, I may have to give you guys a raise to keep you here. Pete, welcome to the family. Like the rest of the guys, drinks and meals, within reason are on the house before, during, and after your shows."

Since we're coming back the next day, we just need to bring the band's equipment into the store room, so it can get locked up until tomorrow's daytime rehearsal session and nighttime performance. After that's all put away, I leave with Cathy and RB. RB thanks me about a dozen more times before he falls asleep in the back seat on the way home. He's small for his age so I'm able to carry him inside. Cathy pulls down his covers.

"Can you take his shirt and jeans off, so he'll be more comfortable in bed? I'll wait for you in the living room. He'd die if he thought I had anything to do with undressing him."

"Sure. I'll be out in a minute."

I put him down on the bed and take off his sneakers, t-shirt and jeans. Without trying to, I happen to look at the bulge in his shorts. I have this sudden urge to rub it. I think to myself 'what the fuck Pete? You turning gay or something?' I mostly resist the urge though, stopping just shy of putting my hand on it. But I lie him down and cover him up before I leave his room. I'm a little confused by my thoughts though.

"Did he wake up?"

"Nope, sleeping soundly."

"Mom and dad went out for the evening since RB came with us. They don't get to do that much. We should be alone for another hour or so."

I take that as an invitation and sit down on the couch, pulling her down next to me. We start out kissing like we've done a couple times before. She senses my shyness and pulls my hand to her breast. Knowing I've got the 'all clear' I slide my hand up under her t-shirt and behind her bra. She gasps when I rub her nipple. We continue in that mode for a couple minutes and then she moves her hand to the button on my pants.

"I want to feel you, OK?"

Of course I say yes. She unbuttons my pants and slides her hand inside my underwear. My turn to gasp. She starts stroking me so I get a little bolder and reach for the button on her pants, leaving my hand there a moment, waiting for some signal of approval. She pulls out of the kiss for a moment and whispers 'yes.' I undo her pants and slide my hand inside, making contact with her pussy for the first time.

"I'm getting close. If you don't want a mess on your hand, you should stop."

She doesn't stop, but instead works my pants down over my hips and resumes jerking me off. I've got a couple fingers in her pussy by now and she begins to shudder with what seems like a tremendous orgasm. I feel my balls pull up and I start shooting cum over her hand and my stomach.

We stop to catch our breath.

"Oh my God, that was wonderful Pete. I've never had a boy bring me to orgasm before."

"You were wonderful too Cathy. First assisted orgasm for me too."

"Stay here, I'll get a washcloth from the bathroom."

She gets up and comes back a minute later with a warm cloth. I wipe myself off and pull my pants back up. We just sit there holding each other for a while.

"I don't want to leave, but I should go before your parents get home."

"Yeah, that's probably a good idea."

She walks me to the door, we kiss a little more and say goodnight.

Little did we know at the time that RB watched us until she got up to get the washcloth.

Saturday June 18

Saturday evening has arrived and thus my debut with the group's classic rock songs. Actually 'The Flame' is normally part of this set, but the guys were all agreeable to playing it last night for RB. Once again Eddie introduces me.

"Hello Garson's!!! Are you ready to rock??? If you've seen us before you'll know that we split our shows between mostly southern rock on Friday and classic rock on Saturday. With a mostly new crowd, I'll be making a second introduction of our new lead singer..."

Cheers and hollers rise up from the folks who were here last night.

"Right, you guys know it. He kicked ass last night!!!!! For the first time at our rock show, Pete Daggett!!!"

The cheers repeat.

"Thanks everybody. I need to wait until Eddie gets to his keys, he starts this one off. I appreciate the welcome. I think you'll probably recognize this Queen monster."

Eddie plays the opening notes to 'Spread Your Wings' and the crowd is into it instantly. As with last night's opener, the crowd is loudly cheering after the song ends.

"OK, we're gonna go way back to August of 1970, a song even older than me. When you're ready Rich."

Paranoid plays. We roll right into Triumph's 'All The Way' which revs up the crowd even more.

"You seemed to enjoy that Sabbath song, so we'll let Anthony start one from the Dio years..."

We get heavy now with the nearly 7 minute Heaven and Hell. We continue mixing it up between ballads like 'Dust in the Wind' and 'Piano Man.' I had to learn the harmonica for that one. And heavier stuff like 'You've Got Another Thing Coming.' Once again, closing with 'Free Bird.' We get standing ovations after both sets again.

"Wow, great crowd tonight, huh Eddie?"

"Yeah Rich. Bigger than last night too. Definitely louder. You killed it again Pete."

"Thanks. But you guys do all the hard work."

We are approached by some guy that looks official. We all wonder what's up.

"Awesome shows guys. I was here last night too. I heard about you guys from a friend. He said the lead singer was OK, but the band was smoking. He had to be talking about someone else knowing you're new Pete. You were all great."

A bunch of thank you replies follow. Still wondering where this is headed.

"Anyway, let me introduce myself. I'm Keith Sawyer, I write for a little paper called 'Jersey Shore News.' Mostly reviews of local talent, restaurants, etc. If it's OK with you all, I'd like to feature you guys this week. I usually cover 2 or 3 bands each issue, but you guys are the best I've heard in a long time, so it'll just be you this week."

Keith makes sure he gets our names right. I ensure he'll give Eddie and David credit for starting the band. He seemed to center on me a lot.

"We're not a big-time paper with a big circulation, but our advertisers get us enough funding to put copies all over the northern part of the shore. I hope you'll see a change in your crowd size after my review. Not that this crowd was small, but there were empty seats. I'm sure Paul would love to see them filled, as would you guys. I'll let you get on with breaking down and leave you the rest of the night to yourselves. Look for it Tuesday. I'll make sure to drop a bunch of copies off here to make sure you all get one."

We all say goodbye, hyped that we're getting noticed beyond the 100-120 or so folks that have been coming to the shows. I help the guys pack up their instruments again. They all appreciate it because Sean tended to disappear quickly after the shows.

Cathy came with some friends, but we made plans to catch a late movie after the show, so she leaves with me. After the movie, which was pretty lame so we spent a lot of it making out, we went back to my house. Well, my parents' house, but they were already in bed and the family room was away from the bedrooms, so we once again had some privacy. We repeated the action from last night. I fingered her to an orgasm and she jerked me off again. I can get used to this.

Sunday June 19

Anthony's older sister just graduated high school so we were drafted to provide some entertainment at her graduation party. We played just a couple short sets and mingled before and after each. After we finished, Marie, Anthony's sister comes up to talk to me.

"Hi Pete. I'm Marie, Anthony's sister. Thanks for playing my party."

"Our pleasure. And congratulations."

"Thanks. Ant told me you were a great singer. He also said you were hot, but I think he sold you short there. I'm almost sorry I've got a steady boyfriend, I'd jump at you. Ha ha. He's around here somewhere though, so you're safe."

"Um, thanks. He said I was hot? Anyway, I've already got a girlfriend."

"There you are. Marie can I steal Pete from you for a bit?"

"Sure Ant. I gotta go find Greg anyway."

We step away from Marie.

"Thanks. I think she was about to jump my bones. Not that I would mind it, but I got Cathy right now."

"Yeah. Can we go somewhere to talk?"

"Sure, lead on."

I'm wondering where this is going, but Anthony puts an arm around me to lead me away. Damn, there's those mini-shocks again. We end up in his bedroom. He closes the door behind us.

"You feel it too, don't you?"

I'm caught a little off-guard so I stumble...

"Um, what?"

"Whenever I touch you, I feel, I don't know. Like sparks running through my body. I can tell by your reactions you feel it too. Right?"

"I'll be honest with you, yes, and it's confusing as hell to me since I'm really attracted to Cathy."

(Sadly) "I know. The other guys don't know this, so keep what I'm going to say between us?"

"Sure."

(Deep breath) "I'm gay. And I really, really like you. I know you're seeing Cathy, but since you feel something, I was wondering, um, damn this is hard."

"Hey it's cool. Just say it. I won't say anything."

"Well, I'm actually hoping you will say something. Anyway, here goes nothing. I know we can never be together, but could I have one kiss?"

"Un, I'm guessing you mean like a real kiss, not just a mafia-style peck on the cheek."

"Yeah."

I could see the pleading in his eyes. Shit, until recently with Cathy I'd never even had a real kiss with anybody, never mind another guy. But I'm afraid if I get tingly from a touch, what's gonna happen with a kiss?

"Please? I'll never tell anyone or ask you again. I know you're not gay, I just need to know what it's like with you."

"OK, I can see it means a lot to you, and like you noticed, I do feel something when we touch. So I'm almost afraid to. But, yeah. Let's do it."

Anthony leans into me to kiss me. I'm guessing it'll really be just like kissing Cathy. I lean in to accept his kiss. After a couple seconds he licks my lips so I open my mouth. The little shocks are taking over my body. He puts his arms around me. I'm helpless to put up any resistance. My arms reach around him. He lowers a hand to my ass. God, it feels so good being there, rubbing me. I'm on autopilot. I reach down and feel his ass, still lip-locked with him. I feel his other hand move around to the front of my jeans. I'm powerless to stop his hand. And my hand too, as I reach around to the front of his jeans. Next, we're undoing each other's buttons and dropping each other's zippers. I feel his hand on my cock. Excitement like I've never felt before rushes through my body. Ever greater than with Cathy. I was already starting to get hard, now I'm so hard it almost hurts. I slide my hand inside his underwear too and for the first time in my life, I'm touching another cock. Still powerless to stop, we start stroking each other. Our other hands leaving the other's ass to work our pants down. As soon as our pants clear our hips, Anthony grunts and I feel his semen hitting me. I follow almost immediately, shooting about 5 times over his body. We finally break the kiss.

"Wow." "Oh my God."

"Well, that just made things complicated."

"Not to mention messy Pete."

Anthony breaks away to grab a box of tissues. We clean ourselves up and an awkward silence falls over the room. I know I don't know what to say and I'm pretty sure neither does he. He finds the words first.

"Wow. I'm, um, really sorry. But it's like I wasn't in control of my body. I really wasn't expecting that to happen."

"Me neither. But I have to admit it was pretty awesome. I just don't know what to do from here."

"Yeah it was. But like you said before, it complicates things."

"We should get back out there. People might be looking for one or both of us."

"Yeah. You go first. I'll follow in a minute or two."

"OK Ant. We're going to need to find some time to talk about this. I'm too confused right now. See you outside."

I try to open the door and realize it's locked. I turn around and look at Ant.

"I didn't want anybody to come in if I did convince you to kiss me."

I nod, unlock the door, open it a crack to see that nobody's there. The coast is clear so I leave.

We appear to have gotten back to the party without raising any questions. There are enough people there to get lost in the crowd. I find the rest of the band hanging around together by the beer cooler.

"Want one Pete?"

"No thanks Eddie. I'm not feeling too good right now. Just had a long visit with the porcelain throne. I think I'm gonna find Ant and head out."

"Yeah, you do look a little pale. Oh, and you won't have to look very hard, Ant's coming up behind you now."

"Someone looking for me?"

"I was about to. I'm not feeling too good right now, I think I'm going to head out. Say congratulations to Marie again for me. I'll catch up with you later."

Anthony's the only one facing me, so I give him a wink.

"Sure. Feel better."

"Thanks. Bye."

I leave, but by this point, the not feeling too well is no longer an excuse. It's real. I run back into the house to find the bathroom and throw up.

When I get home mom and dad ask how the party was. I say good but I must have eaten something that didn't agree with me and head to my room. I lie down on my bed, my thoughts spinning out of control. I knew there was something different about Anthony but I never considered I might be gay, or even bisexual. I have a lot of thinking to do.

A little while later mom knocks to see if I want anything to eat. I think I can keep down something light, as long as I don't think too much about what happened with Anthony. I haven't had much time to talk with my parents this weekend so I fill them in on how things are going with the band. They weren't real happy I quit my job, but after telling them I made almost as much in one weekend with the band as 2 weeks at Wal-Mart, they seem a little less concerned. I also told them about the upcoming review in 'Jersey Shore News.' They want to see it after it comes out. Like no shit.

After eating something I give Cathy a call and fill her in on how the party went. Obviously I left out the part in Anthony's bedroom. We agreed to take a ride to Garson's Tuesday afternoon to get copies of the paper. Well, that and to spend a little time together.

After I hang up with Cathy, I take a deep breath, check that my parents aren't in hearing range and give Anthony a call.

"Hey Ant."

"Pete. Wow, I wasn't sure you'd ever want to talk to me again."

"Nah. We need to be civil for the band's sake, but even so, we're still friends regardless of what happened."

"Thanks. I was worried you would be angry. I heard you really were sick before you left."

"Yeah. The situation overwhelmed me. I'm still confused about it, and not sure about the future, how I'll handle both you and Cathy..."

"Wait, does that mean you may want to do more with me?"

"Yeah. I've been thinking a lot about it since I left. It all felt so good, so right, I don't think I CAN keep from doing things with you. I just need to figure out things with Cathy at the same time."

"Shit, I wasn't expecting anything more. I can handle sharing you with Cathy. I mean you'll never suck her dick. Not that I'm saying you'd suck mine, just like as an example."

"I get it. One step at a time. Plus I need time to work things out in my head. So be patient with me."

"No problem. I'll be happy with whatever you want to do. Like I said earlier, I really, really like you. This afternoon, well, that was one of the best things that has ever happened to me."

"Yeah. It was pretty nice. Anyway, I just figured I'd check in with you, tell you where I'm at. Good night Ant."

"Nite Pete."


Next Up - "The Review and Sexual Progress"

Copyright © 2023 Lee Wilson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 26
  • Wow 3
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Feel free to drop me a line if you haven't already. I appreciate the comments, good or bad. 
If you liked this, check out my stories on nifty. You'll need to search for my email address, some of those may violate GA guidelines (lee.666.wilson@gmail.com)
LRW
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It took a little adaptation to get into the present tense writing style, it is modern, millennial, I suppose, but in any event the story carried me through. The plot so far is interesting, a bisexual guy with a girlfriend and boyfriend. The background of an upcoming band is nothing original, but the story is well done.

On the story, it took me to a world I found, I won't call it conservative, maybe dated. I mean, do guys get that kind of meet the parents, dad talk, at 17. At that age myself I had nothing much to do with parents as far as my personal life was concerned and neither did my friends.

The music references added detail and the background was nicely filled in. Pretty good so far.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

This is a very, very readable time hop. I hope you’re making a playlist if it doesn’t already exist. Cheap Trick? I’m in! ‘Mommy’s alright, Daddy’s alright…’

Pete is shockingly mature. I believe Cathy will understand. Really want to get clear on RB though your foreshadowing of his story creates tension. Ant: hang in there friend.

Cool that I can come back here for the band roster because only Eddie and Ant stuck to me.

(Yelling) Hey Lee Wilson this is really good. (Not yelling) I could go on and I will when I read the next chapter. Welcome. Following you 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Thanks for the feedback so far. It’s always hard to know that just because I like my stories, will anyone else? 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thanks Tris (Hero and Dan too). No specific Ant spoilers, but I believe you’ll like Ant’s role in the next chapter.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

My idea of the Romanos, Hero, is of a traditional, Italian Catholic family. Old traditions important to them. Mostly.

Being dated is kind of intentional. I don’t know why I picked exactly 1988 for the timeframe, but I used the old fashioned, less modern world so I could avoid cell phones, the internet, etc.

Dan, you’ll have to wait a bit on getting clear on RB. But some details are on their way.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Lee Wilson said:

Thanks for the feedback so far. It’s always hard to know that just because I like my stories, will anyone else? 

Like your story. Really like. This is a Field of Dreams moment. You busy yourself with building the story and the readers will come. It’s good, no doubt.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Just discovered this story the songs mentioned here are in my wheelhouse.I'm surprised a young band would do The Last Resort but that's an awesome song Pete has to be a great singer if he's covering a song sung by Don Henley.Molly Hatchet was mentioned the song they should have done was" Flirting with Disaster".

As far the other part of the story Pete seems to have a classic thing going on with Kathy but obviously Anthony and RB are going to complicate that RB in particular.It's late as I'm typing this so I'm going to do some binge reading on the tomorrow

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I just happen to like Whiskey Man better. Neither compare to Fall of the Peacemakers IMO. The rest of the songs are high on my playlist. Any pretend character can be an amazing singer. I hope you like the direction I take them weinerdog.

Edited by Lee Wilson
  • Like 2
Link to comment

This is a great start to what will hopefully be a good story. One of the better ones I’ve started on this platform or any other. I like the characters. I find it interesting that you have not used any physical descriptions. Tell me about that.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, JLynch said:

This is a great start to what will hopefully be a good story. One of the better ones I’ve started on this platform or any other. I like the characters. I find it interesting that you have not used any physical descriptions. Tell me about that.

There have been a lot of positive comments, so I hope you enjoy the rest of it. As far as the lack of physical descriptions, I have to admit that is a weakness or flaw in my writing. Just something I typically overlook. They do get in there occasionally, but it's probably the exception rather than the rule. Another thing, it comes as a surprise when something does get mentioned later on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Sherye Story Reader said:

I love the first chapter. You are an amazing author. To find out you may be bisexual.  Mmmmm interesting.

Thanks. On the bisexual piece, I guess I wouldn’t even be writing here if I wasn’t. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Lee Wilson said:

Thanks. On the bisexual piece, I guess I wouldn’t even be writing here if I wasn’t. 

That is true 😁

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..