Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 7,685 Words
  • 5,535 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Electric Blue and Catnip - 16. Chapter 16

Alexi woke up at eight Monday morning. He took a long shower fighting anxiety jitters under the hot water. Butterflies fluttered in his stomach at the thought of starting the summer program in the afternoon. He’d faced large audiences in stadiums but the idea of standing before a few students, teaching, -he closed his eyes. It will be fine.

Back in his bedroom, he pulled on a light blue t-shirt and shorts, running a negligent hand through his damp hair.

Joshua filled his thoughts on his way to the kitchen. He could imagine Joshua seated at the kitchen table in Eve’s house. He pulled the fridge open. Lily seemed to have called the grocers since they were fully stocked. He smiled when he saw the jar of chocolate chip ice cream jammed in on top of the sausages in the fridge. Lily must have been in a hurry last night when they were done with the ice cream.

He smiled when Lily walked into the kitchen in a red silk gown cinched at her waist. His grin widened when he saw Taka behind her in wrinkled white shirt and slacks.

“What’s for breakfast?” Lily asked letting a loud yawn escape.

“Melting chocolate chip ice cream,” Alexi teased holding up the tub of half empty ice cream.

Lily blushed. Taka chuckled behind her.

Alexi pulled out the sausages and held them out to Taka.

“Can you cook?” he asked with a raised brow at the tall man. He’d never spent more than a few hours in Taka’s company. This was surreal having him in the kitchen.

“I’ll make breakfast.” Taka took the gauntlet reaching for the sausages.

Alexi glanced at Lily before he pulled out a bottle of orange juice.

“When did you come back to Manhattan?” he asked Taka.

“I was at your grandparents’ estate in Montauk. They can’t wait to see you on the fourth of July. Your mother called them about Adrian. I had to go explain the situation,” Taka explained undoing the sausage packet.

Lily got three glasses from the cupboard and brought them to the kitchen table. She gave Alexi a one-arm hug as he poured juice into the three glasses.

“Did you sent the report on Adrian’s case to my mother?” he asked. He couldn’t think of anything else to discuss with Taka.

“Yes. Your mother still thinks you should get a restraining order. She insisted I get the forms.”

Alexi put the bottle of juice on the table. “I don’t think it’s necessary. How hard can it be to keep Adrian away? We haven’t talked; he doesn’t have my new phone number. You’ve made sure the doorman and the security downstairs know not to let him in. Don’t you think a restraining order is overkill? ”

“No, it’s logical.” Lily rubbed his back. “Two months from now, you’re going to forgive Adrian and he’ll be back in your life.”

A soft chuckle escaped Alexi. “You’re so certain, Lily.”

“I know you very well. It’s not your fault.” She took Taka his glass of juice. “Why don’t you get the forms you brought with you, Taka?”

“We can do it after breakfast.” Alexi tried to postpone the unpleasant task. He’d avoided thinking about Adrian for a weekend. There was no way he was going to start worrying again.

“We need to end this saga.” Lily urged Taka out of the kitchen and took over frying the sausages at the stove. “It’s the only way to exorcize Adrian from your life. It’s time to move on.”

“And you think involving the police is the only way?” Alexi winced staring into his juice. What a mess. His ex-boyfriend was now a criminal.

Taka returned with a briefcase placing it on the kitchen counter. In minutes, Taka had laid out legal forms before him and was holding out a fountain pen expectantly. Alexi winced when he read Adrian’s name printed on the forms. All their memories reduced to legal paperwork.

“Alexi.” Lily turned off the heat at the stove and came to stand beside him. Her slender fingers combed through damp hair.

Taka gave him a slight smile. “I’ve filled the relevant spaces you just need to sign.”

He took the black fountain pen. He stared at the dotted line at the bottom of the forms. Adrian, he sighed, his heart plummeting.

Adrian had inspired his first album. They’d gone on a wild safari in East Africa to celebrate his success. He’d spent hours listening to Adrian plan Rosen Models, gone to Adrian’s photo shoots. Adrian seated at the front seat in all his concerts, never missing a one. How had they gotten to this point? Restraining orders and lawsuits, his hand trembled over the paper. He couldn’t do it.

“You don’t have to decide right now.” Lily saved him, taking the pen and giving it back to Taka. “We have a few days before Taka leaves for Osaka.”

Alexi almost thanked her. “I’m sorry. This is harder than I thought-

“I understand.” Taka assured. “Since we’re on this topic, Lily asked me to check on Joshua Randolph.”

“Oh, come on,” Alexi turned to glare at Lily. “Why?”

“What do you expect?” Lily asked. She went back to the cooking while Taka put away the legal documents. “You two met in a park.”

“You’re watching too many dramas,” Alexi complained.

Taka took apples from a bowl on the counter and washed them at the sink. “You have no idea what it was like to deal with your mom when she found out about Adrian. We’re not taking chances with your new fling.”

“Fling,” Alexi asked his eyes narrowed in irritation. “What are you implying?

“Nothing,” Lily jumped in quickly giving Taka a warning glance. “Whatever your relationship with Joshua is, we need to be careful, Alexi.”

“How deep did you go?” Alexi asked.

Lily got a chopping board for the apples. Taka passed plates to Lily for the sausages. They moved around the kitchen in a strange dance that made them look like a married couple.

“Deep enough to know he wasn’t always gay.” Taka cut up the apples into slices. “He was married. His ex-wife filed for a restraining order that keeps him five hundred yards away from her. She claimed harassment. The order keeps Mr. Randolph away from his son.”

“What?” So that’s how Sherry was able to keep Joshua away from Shane.

Taka waved his knife at him. “Did you hear me? Mr. Randolph was married, Alexi. He might-

“I know about his ex-wife.” Alexi pushed his glass of juice away. “It was the first thing he told me. They got married because of the kid.”

“Shane O’Leary, ten years old,” Taka continued cutting the apples. “The mother had a Sam O’Leary adopt him a year ago after they married. The kid isn’t really Mr. Randolph’s.”

Lily finished with the sausages and got started on eggs. She whipped them fast and poured them onto the sizzling pan. “So, you’re saying that Joshua was played. His ex-wife is cut from the same cloth as Adrian.”

“You can say that.” Taka shrugged. “I’m impressed that Randolph told you about his marriage. That makes him relatively honest. He’s not yet made tenure at the University, but he will. He’s a brilliant Professor. I think Allegra could like him, that is, if we can get her to look past the marriage and the child.”

“Sherry won’t let Joshua see Shane. Joshua is a good father. She shouldn’t do that to him, Taka. Even though they don’t get along, she shouldn’t force Joshua away. Can’t you do something to help?” Alexi asked.

Lily slid a plate of sausages, eggs and toast to him. “Alexi, you’re getting too involved again. Joshua is great but you just ended a relationship with Adrian. You’re not ready-

“This isn’t about me. You didn’t see Joshua last night!” Alexi cut her off his tone harsh. “I spent hours with his family and Shane. I know he loves that child. What Sherry is doing is malicious.”

Taka and Lily stood staring at him. His anger surprising even to him, he’d not meant to explode. “I’m sorry, Lily. I just- he’s important to me. It’s not because of Adrian or what he did to me, I don’t care about that. Joshua is different.”

“They are all different,” Lily countered. “You need to learn how to protect your heart before you jump into relationships.”

“I’m not an idiot.” Alexi glared at her.

“Alright, you two,” Taka said placing a hand over Lily’s shoulder. He gave her a small hug before he turned to Alexi. “I’ll look into Joshua’s situation.”

“That’s all I’m asking.” Alexi gave Lily a meaningful glance. “It’s not like we’re getting married. Jeez, Lily. What’s with you?”

“I pick up the pieces, Alexi.” Lily pointed out. “I’m the one who knows what happens to you when you get betrayed. Be cautious with Joshua, alright. He’s a great guy, but don’t get too involved. Children, ex-wives, it can get pretty messy.”

*******

“We’d planned to have thirty students,” Tony, the department music director at the university, explained. “We ended up with twenty.”

“That’s a good number.” Alexi nervously read through the list of students. “Are they in the third and fourth years?”

“I have three from second year, one from first.” Tony pointed them out on the list. “Their auditions were very good. I thought they’d benefit from the program.”

It was almost two-thirty in the afternoon: classes were starting at three. Joshua hadn’t called him. He picked up his cell phone, sliding a finger over the screen. No messages from Joshua.

“Can I have a few minutes, Tony?” He hoped his tone sounded confident. His insides were turning into jelly. In thirty minutes, he’d be standing before twenty kids in a lecture hall and expected to talk sense.

Tony left the office with an excited smile unaware of his anxiety. The moment the door closed, he stumbled out of his chair, feeling sick. Where was Joshua? If Sherry found him at Eve’s house, she could have called the cops. Judging from Taka’s explanation of restraining orders one call from the victim and the police showed.

He speed dialed Joshua’s number, the phone pressed to his ear as he paced the length of the desk in the borrowed office. The door swung open on the fourth ring and he glanced up with an irritated frown.

“Hi, Professor, are you busy?” Joshua teased coming into the office and locking the door behind him. Alexi dropped the phone on the desk and rushed him. He wrapped his arms tight around Joshua.

“I missed you,” Alexi said holding Joshua close. “I kept imagining you and Sherry meeting. You weren’t answering your phone. Where-

Joshua pressed warm lips against his stopping his tirade. He moaned accepting the eager kiss eyes closing in bliss. He pressed closer to Joshua, murmuring a protest when Joshua broke the kiss. “I left my phone at home. I didn’t have time to stop by the house. I figured seeing you would be better than talking on the phone.”

Alexi nodded noting Joshua’s tensed shoulders under his fingers. “How’s Shane?”

“He’s okay. We had a great time together. Mom promised to call me if Shane gets to stay at the house again. I left right after lunch.” Joshua’s smile didn’t reach his eyes.

He traced the slight lines on the corner of Joshua’s mouth. He imagined the parting scene at Eve’s wouldn’t have been easy. “How are you?”

Joshua shrugged. “I’m good now that I see you. Are you nervous? You look nervous. I was expecting to find you hiding in the closet.”

Alexi laughed at the attempt to lighten the mood. “It hasn’t gotten that bad yet. Although, hiding under the desk looked promising.”

Alexi pressed his forehead into Joshua’s chest. The soft light green t-shirt warm against his skin, the scent of sunshine filled his nostrils. He closed his eyes wishing they were back in Joshua’s house. Joshua’s arms around his shoulders, hugging him tight had him wondering how a man could matter in so short a time. Calm flooded his senses, he absorbed Joshua’s warmth.

“I’m so happy you’re here,” he murmured.

Joshua caressed his jaw with gentle fingers. “I have a solution for your phobia for large lecture halls.”

“Anxiety meds,” he said tilting his head to meet Joshua’s gaze.

Joshua chuckled. “No meds required just your smile.”

He tried a smile and was rewarded with a kiss on his cheek. Joshua led him out of the office into the quiet hallway. They passed five doors before Joshua stopped by double steel doors. He opened one and led the way into a study room. A large room with wide windows on one side a white board to the left and a piano in the corner.

“I told Tony to give you this room. He uses it for group study and small lectures.”

“How did you know?” Alexi slipped his hand out of Joshua’s walking to the piano in the corner. This room he didn’t mind, no stage, no terrifying spotlight.

“You need to start small before we face the stage. Lecture halls are intimidating even for seasoned lecturers.”

“Now all I have to do is convince twenty high strung students I’m a master of their subject.” Alexi opened the piano cover, tinkling the keys in random notes. “I haven’t been in a classroom for years.”

“First day jitters, you’ll get used to them.” Joshua stretched his arms above his head.

He looked tired. Alexi noted dark shadows under his eyes from lack of sleep, or stress. The man was busy taking care of everyone else and forgetting himself. A soft knock on the door interrupted his thoughts and the first of his students walked into the room. He shelved his concerns for later.

Two hours later Alexi stepped out of the study room feeling happy. The lecture had been a lot of fun. Joshua had left after the introductions were done. His students had asked so many questions he hadn’t gotten a chance to be nervous. They’d even swindled him into playing them a few pieces. He smiled as he walked into the office eager to tell Joshua.

He found him sitting in the chair behind the desk dozing. Alexi dumped the paper work he’d amassed through the two-hour session on the desk and walked around to the chair. He could watch Joshua sleep for hours. He leaned on the edge of the desk, his gaze on Joshua’s long eyelashes. Unable to resist, he traced the curved dark lashes with his index finger. Joshua’s eyes opened and he pulled back his finger.

“Are you all done?” Joshua held back a yawn blinking away his sleep.

Alexi nodded and started to step way. Joshua captured his hand, and in a practiced move, he pulled Alexi on to his lap.

“You’re getting good at that,” Alexi said adjusting his balance on Joshua’s lap. The chair was large enough for both of them. He rubbed a hand over Joshua’s chest. “You’re tired.”

“No, I miss you.” Joshua countered. “You’re coming home with me, right?”

Alexi made a show of thinking until Joshua raised an eyebrow at him. He laughed and kissed that raised eyebrow. “Of course, I’m coming with.”

Joshua nodded in approval. “Good.”

********

The fountain at the Washington Square Park was filled with water, dazzling sprays in the bright summer sun. Alexi smiled watching children scream with excitement as they raced through the water. Their clothes soaked, their parents lazing on the benches, watchful. His fingers combed lazily through dark silky hair and he glanced down at Joshua sleeping on his lap. It was a bright sunny July afternoon. The first Sunday of July, he thought with a sad smile. He was starting to hate the sunset; each one meant another day gone. He loved watching Joshua sleep, loved watching Joshua smile, loved watching Joshua read. He was developing an obsessive fascination with everything Joshua did.

He figured the more he catalogued the more clearer his memories would be when the summer ended. The more vivid the emotions would be. He bit his lower lip. His Joshua would probably call that kinky but what else could he do?

With Adrian, he’d always been the one clinging, and insisting on spending time together. With Joshua, he smiled, his Joshua…they hadn’t been apart since the day his summer program began. When he needed to make trips to the studio, they stayed at the pent house; otherwise, he was practically living in Joshua’s house. Joshua shifted on his lap and he lifted his hands so that his fingers wouldn’t tug at Joshua’s hair.

Joshua turned to his side on the blanket covered grass, his t-shirt riding up slightly. Alexi tugged it lower before he braced his hands back and tilted his head to stare at the tree blanches. The green leaves sifting the light down muting the hot sun rays.

He’d always hated Sundays. That weird feeling of dreading Monday, and what it would bring had plagued him almost half his life. But here, today, seated on a blanket under a huge tree in the park, with the weight of his lover on his lap. His lover-, he paused, his thought process momentarily derailed by the word ‘lover’-, what an inadequate definition.

Or maybe he just hadn’t known what that word truly defined. Lover, his lips tugged into a smile, Joshua made him insane with lust, need, craving…he wanted Joshua right now. He shifted his aching erection pressing against his zipper. His body was in constant need of Joshua, all the time, like a sex crazed slave.

When they weren’t making love, they were arguing, Joshua’s brilliant mind seducing his into conversations on all and any topic. There arguments lasting deep into the night, one until six in the morning. When they stayed at the penthouse, Joshua sometimes joined him on his late night sessions at the piano. Joshua lounged on the couch and he played for him, a muse inspiring his music. Maybe lover was the right word, he decided opening his eyes to stare at the bright leaves above them.

He didn’t want to be anywhere else. Sitting here, Joshua contently asleep on his lap, he didn’t want anything else.

His phone buzzed and he reached for the black folder on the blanket. He gave Joshua a cursory glance making sure the buzz hadn’t disturbed him before he answered the call quietly.

“Hello.”

“Alexi, it’s your Mom.”

“Mom,” he said with a smile. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine, even though my youngest son doesn’t call as often as he should. Ignoring his mother, while he enjoys himself in the big apple,” Allegra complained expertly. “Or have you found a nice young man who’s taking all your time?”

He laughed quietly. “Are you calling to ask or because you know all about him?”

“I was young once too,” Allegra said with a small giggle. “I know how these things go; you probably don’t want to tell me about it until you’re sure.”

“Maybe,” Alexi studied Joshua’s sleeping face for a moment. “I’ll tell you soon.”

“I’m sure. I’m calling to remind you about the Fourth of July party at your grandparents’ house. You have to go this year, don’t ignore it.”

“I won’t.” He winced slightly at the thought of spending three days in Montauk. His grandparents were great, but he didn’t want to go alone. Taking Joshua would mean telling him about Adrian. There was no way he could take Joshua to his grandparents without discussing Adrian.

“Are you still there, Alexi?” Allegra asked with a concerned tone.

“Yeah, Mom, I’ll be there.”

“Good. I miss you darling.” Allegra sighed. “I want to convince Phillip and Hideki to come to New York with me before you leave. We can spend a week together, as a family, it’s been a while. Maybe I’ll meet this Joshua Randolph, Taka and Lily talk about.”

He winced at that last comment. August was going to be hard enough; having his family around was going to make it worse. His fingers sunk into Joshua’s hair again. “That sounds nice.”

Allegra laughed. “You don’t sound like it would be. Well, I’ll have to change your mind. Take care of yourself, Alexi. Make sure to call me when you get to your grandparents. I love you.”

“Love you too.” He hung up the call.

“Who do you love?” Joshua asked sleepily.

He glanced down to find Joshua watching him. “My other secret boyfriend,” he teased.

“Is he more handsome than me?” Joshua asked with a small yawn. “If he is, I have to go give him a visit. See if we can fix that.”

“Are you the jealous type?”

“You have no idea.” Joshua rubbed his eyes to clear sleep.

“Well, that was my mother. She’s calling to remind me about the Fourth. My grandparents have always had this party at their home in Montauk. I’ve missed it for the last two years.”

“So, this time you have to go.” Joshua concluded turning on his back so that he was looking up. “That’s on Wednesday this week.”

Alexi nodded, trying to gather the energy to ask if Joshua would come along. He’d loved meeting Eve, but Joshua’s family was easy. His on the other hand, especially after the fiasco with Adrian, he bit his lower lip. Lily was still angry with him for refusing to sign the restraining order on Adrian.

“I’ll come with you if you want.” Joshua saved him with a small smile. “I’d love to meet your family.”

“More like my extended family. They are my mom’s parents. You’ll be meeting my cousins, uncles and aunts.”

“Sounds like fun,” Joshua said.

“Are you sure? I mean, we can always skip, I can make it seem like I had some sort –

“I want to meet your family.” Joshua insisted, his blue eyes shining with sincerity. “You’ve already met mine, and if you survived that, I can handle your side.”

Alexi put away his phone and leaned down to press a kiss on the tip of Joshua’s nose. “We’ll see what happens to those sparkling eyes of yours when you actually meet my parents.”

Joshua’s stomach growled and Alexi raised an eyebrow. “I guess you’re hungry.”

“Yep,” Joshua sat up. “Let’s go have a pizza. A large, cheesy, onion filled pizza and some cold drinks.”

“Pizza sounds great.” Alexi agreed as Joshua jumped gracefully to his feet. He watched Joshua stretch his arms above his head and twist from side to side. “You look like a contented cat.”

“I think you meant a lion.” Joshua puffed out his chest and mimed a roar. Alexi laughed and shook his head.

“I don’t know you might have to get a big beard to get that menace on.”

“May be a wolf then, not a cat,” Joshua negotiated.

Alexi handed him the dark folder and stood up, looking around for his sandals. He slipped his feet into them and stepped off the blanket. Joshua watched him fold the dark brown blanket. The sun turned electric blue eyes into breathtaking sparkling orbs. So keen, he could get lost in them. Did wolves have blue eyes? He didn’t know.

“Maybe a wolf,” Alexi answered. “That loyalty thing, you have that.”

“They mate for life,” Joshua said reaching out to touch his jaw for a second before his hand dropped. “Isn’t that something you’d like?”

Alexi felt his heart flip again in his chest. “Sounds like a fantasy.”

“You’re a musician, Alexi. You should accept fantasy.” Joshua held out his hand.

Alexi took it and couldn’t help noting how tight Joshua clasped his hand. “Is this going to be one of those ends versus point’s arguments?”

He and Lily both agreed that the pointy side of a pizza slice was more delicious than the round end part. This was because all the cheesy goodness settled in the middle of the pizza when it melted. Joshua loved the round pizza ends especially when they were stuffed with cheese. Hence, the endless argument of ends versus points had begun.

“Ends are better,” Joshua started making him smile in amusement. “You know they are. You just don’t want to see how great they can be. They are fulfilling, delicious, sometimes filled with cheese, Pizza ends are definitely better.”

“What about the points?” Alexi asked moving aside and lifting their clasped hands to make room for a small boy. He moved closer to Joshua as they headed for the park gates. “Points are juicier, nutritious, and tastier. I don’t see how you don’t get that.”

“Maybe we just have to try and see each other’s sides. Like you, not accepting fantasy when you write music.”

“Music is logical, I know it doesn’t seem so, but it is. Its precise notes that come together, arranged a certain way, balanced in harmony, they are guaranteed to move the soul. It’s logical.”

Joshua chuckled as they left the park. “You amaze me, Alexi. I’m going to have to change your view on fantasy. We can’t have you living in the logical world.”

“Logical makes sense, less pain,” Alexi insisted. “You can rely on logic when things are hard.”

“Fantasy nourishes the soul where logic doesn’t.”

“Fantasy is an illusion, unreal, a logical construction.”

“That’s the problem, you know, trying to make sense of fantasy is just wrong. You’re supposed to take it as it is. No judgment, just accepting,” Joshua said as they walked along the street.

“We’re going to argue this until we’re old and can’t walk anymore.” Alexi pointed out.

“I don’t think I mind that at all.” Joshua declared with a wide grin that made Alexi stop in the middle of the street. He didn’t think he would mind that at all either.

******

Joshua woke to the feel of Alexi’s tongue lapping at his morning erection. His mouth was hot and teasing, his tongue playing over him, his teeth were sliding gently, wickedly. For a moment Alexi sucked him deep into his throat and he groaned, lifting his hips, helpless in Alexi’s thrall. His eyes weren’t even open and he was already rock hard with Alexi’s ministrations. He lifted his lashes to watch him.

Alexi looked like a contented cat, pleased and stimulated, his hair tumbled in spikes around his face. He watched his body slide in and out of Alexi’s mouth, glistening wet, growing thicker and harder as he began to thrust forward and withdraw. Alexi did things with his tongue and teeth and his sinful mouth that drove him out of his mind.

Alexi pulled his hot mouth away and replaced it with something cold and wet. He smiled as he teased him with a strawberry fruit, sliding it over and around him, thoroughly coating strawberry juice over his bulging erection. He couldn’t’ think he could get any thicker or harder but Alexi managed it.

“Good morning, I brought breakfast.” Alexi popped the fruit into his mouth and went back to licking, this time teasing with his tongue as he tried to get the strawberry juice.

He chewed the fruit in his mouth, unable to tear his gaze away from Alexi for too long. Four weeks and three days of being with Alexi, and their insatiable need increased burning hot with each day. Alexi pulled away from his cock and shifted off the bed. He protested with a low husky moan and was going to sit up when Alexi returned with a condom.

With a soft gasp, Alexi took him in, head thrown back, hands braced on his stomach as he pressed his hips down taking all of him. He bolted upright, his hands gripping Alexi’s hips, grinding him down on him. He felt frenzied, unable to get enough of Alexi. He captured Alexi’s mouth in a hot kiss as they rode hard toward a powerful climax.

He wrapped his arms around Alexi tightly as they fell back on the pillows. He laughed slightly when Alexi bit at his nipple gently.

“Good morning to you too,” he said his fingers sinking into Alexi’s hair. “I don’t think I can move. You sure know how to wake a man.”

“Just you,” Alexi replied.

He stroked his hand over Alexi’s back. He couldn’t believe it was already July.

Staring at the ceiling, he wondered what he was going to do in a month’s time. Alexi was becoming a part of him, taking over his thoughts, his heart, making it impossible to live without being this close. How was he ever going to let him go?

Alexi shifted slightly and he held him fast. “I’m heavy.”

“I like you right there.” Joshua pressed a kiss on top of Alexi’s hair.

“We have to get going soon.” Alexi protested although he didn’t move. “Lily will be knocking on the door.”

Tomorrow was the Fourth of July and they were going to visit Alexi’s grandparents for three days in Montauk. It sounded fun, but the thought of a house full of Alexi’s extended family was daunting.

“We don’t have to go,” Alexi said quietly. He’d received that offer more times than he cared to count. Ever since they’d left the park on Sunday, Alexi seemed stuck between excitement and apprehension. “I didn’t go last year, and I haven’t confirmed with Grandma-

“We’re going.” Joshua cut him off gently. “You’ve already met my family. It’s time I met yours,” he repeated wishing Alexi would trust him with whatever was bothering him.

“Well, it should be fun, lots of drinking, food, family drama. Or, we can just decide to stay here.”

“And miss the fun?” Joshua rolled them to the side so that he could look at Alexi’s face.

Alexi pressed a hand to his chest slightly as he laid his head on his pillow. A frown danced on his smooth forehead for a second. Something was definitely bothering Alexi, he decided.

“What’s wrong?” he asked. “You’ve been wired about this whole issue since your Mom called. Just go ahead and tell me what’s bugging you.”

“There is something I need to tell you.” Alexi started, shaking his head. “I mean, you need to know about it before we go to Montauk because everyone will be talking and you-

Joshua pressed his lips against Alexi’s to stop the nervous tirade. Alexi moaned, kissing him back. They broke apart after a moment and Joshua caressed his jaw.

“Just tell me.”

Alexi sighed. “I had a long time boyfriend before you. We broke up last year.”

“So,” Joshua asked his brow creasing. He didn’t like to think of any other man who might have been this close to Alexi.

“Well, his name was Adrian. Not ‘was’, ‘is’ ‘coz he’s not dead. But that’s not the point. I just wanted to tell you that my grandparents knew him and so did everyone in my family. They’ll probably talk about him because we had a complicated relationship. I thought you should know in case they bring him up.”

He stared at Alexi for a moment. He didn’t like the nervous glance Alexi was giving him. Obviously there was something else going on with this Arian, or Alan.

Alexi sat up abruptly, pushing back his hair with a frustrated hand. Yep, there was definitely more to the tale. He didn’t like it.

“Are you going to say something, anything? What are you thinking?” Alexi demanded when he didn’t comment.

“I don’t know what you want me to say.”

“Ask questions.” Alexi frowned getting off the bed.

“Why the hell would I want to know about your ex? You two are not together anymore, that’s all I need to know.”

Alexi studied him for a moment, a frown dancing on his forehead. Joshua wondered what was going through that handsome head. Before he could ask, Alexi gave him a tight smile. “You’re right. I’m going to take a shower.”

Joshua sat up pulling off the condom and throwing it into the trashcan by the bedside table. “Are we you alright?”

“Yeah,” Alexi headed toward the bathroom.

He sat on the side of the bed, staring at his lover’s ass. Showering together sounded pretty good, he stretched his arms above his head and yawned lazily. He got up to follow Alexi only to have the bathroom door close in his face.

“Obviously you’re not alright. Wanna talk about it?” He called through the closed door. A click on the lock answered his comment. What the hell was he supposed to have asked? Was Aden great in bed? What kind of name was Aden?

“I’ll just get some coffee then.”

He picked up his jeans from an arm chair by the wall and pulled them on. Running fingers through his hair, he left the bedroom and headed to the kitchen. He found Lily perched on a stool at the island table eating cereal. Her fingers moved a mile a minute over the keypad on her blackberry.

“I heard there was going to be an Olympic event for phone texting. You should join.” He smiled at her.

She made a face at him. “Someone’s grouchy in the morning. Didn’t you get some?”

“Just this morning actually,” he said smiling at her. He picked up a mug from a tray on the table and moved to the coffee maker.

“Where’s Alexi?”

“He’s taking a shower.”

“Did you two talk?” Lily asked putting her phone on the table. “I told him it’s better to be prepared. His grandparents love prying.”

“Are you the one who put him up to a talk about his ex-boyfriend?” Joshua sipped the fragrant coffee, closing his eyes in bliss. All this talk about ex-boyfriends was ruining a perfect morning. Waking up to Alexi making love to him was like winning gold. There was no way he was going to let them spoil this with talk of ex-boyfriends. “I don’t want to know.”

“Have you met Alexi’s family?” Lily frowned at him. “They’re not an easy crowd if you’re unprepared. You need to know what to expect. Don’t think they don’t know about you.”

“What does that mean?”

“Didn’t Alexi tell you?” She sighed when he shook his head. “Everyone close to him gets a background check.”

“A background check?” he gaped. Did that mean-, “wait, you don’t mean me?”

Lily shrugged. “In the past there’ve been issues. I thought you just talked about his ex?”

Joshua put his coffee on the counter feeling like he was missing something important. “Why didn’t you tell me you were running a background check? You could have just asked me whatever you wanted to know.”

“Don’t take offense,” Lily said gently. “It’s my responsibility to make sure that Alexi is safe.”

“I can’t believe Alexi didn’t tell me.”

“I’ll explain, Lily,” Alexi said from the kitchen entrance.

“You had your people check up on me? What you don’t trust me?”

“I do trust you.” Alexi walked into the kitchen looking handsome in a printed grey t-shirt and checkered grey pants. His damp hair pushed back, his face glowing from his shower. Joshua fought the urge to pull him into his arms and breathe in his delicious scent.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Did it even matter? Yeah, it did, Joshua thought with a frown.

“Lily, will you give us a moment?” Alexi asked softly.

Lily got off her stool with a shake of her head. “Josh, don’t be angry with Alexi for the background check. I ordered it, he had no idea it was happening. But, in my defense, I had good reason.”

She left the kitchen with a huff and he turned to Alexi.

“Does this have to do with your ex-boyfriend?”

Alexi sat on Lily’s stool. “I know you don’t want to hear about my ex, but there are things I need to explain.”

“It’s incredibly petty, but what can I do. I don’t want to hear stories that involve you with another man. Alexi-,” he started shaking his head. Obviously this wasn’t going to disappear. Alexi’s brown eyes were pleading with him, he was determined they discuss this Alan. “Fine, obviously there’s no escaping this, so just get it over with.”

Alexi nodded and took in a deep breath. “Adrian and I met when I was seventeen. I thought we might have had a life together but, I was wrong.

He didn’t like the look on Alexi’s face when he mentioned the idiot who’d let him go. He hated how Alexi’s voice had turned all soft and nostalgic, he cursed under his breath.

Alexi got off the stool and paced for a few minutes, running fingers through his damp hair. “I-

Alexi stopped at a loss.

“Do you still love him?” he asked.

“No!” Alexi shook his head, his brown eyes wide. Joshua felt his heart plummet when he saw the hesitation return. “I thought I was, but,” Alexi blushed, “that’s changed since I met you.”

“Good, I was starting to worry I might have to find this Alain.”

“Adrian.” Alexi corrected with a sigh, his gaze dropped to the floor. The silence prolonged and he wondered if this Adrian had died? Alexi was clearly struggling to tell this story.

“We can always do this another time,” he tried to say.

But Alexi just sat on his stool again and blurted out. “Adrian cheated on me and-,” Alexi chocked on his next words, “he stole from me. I was too blind to see what he was doing. I mean-…I thought-…I don’t know what I thought. I’m an idiot-

Joshua covered Alexi’s hands with his on the table. “You’re not an idiot. You can be stubborn, but not an idiot.”

“I thought I could fix what we had, make it work, but he-,” Alexi lifted his head to look at him. “He betrayed me, Josh.”

“How long ago was this?” Joshua asked.

Alexi’s gaze dropped to their tangled fingers. “I found out what he’d done just after I came to New York.”

“Was it before or after we met?” Joshua asked thinking about the first meeting Alexi had done with Tony. The horrible days when Alexi wouldn’t see him or talk to him, he’d almost thought they’d never be together.

“After you and I met in the park.” Alexi sighed. “I trusted him. Adrian was my best friend, even after we broke up, and I couldn’t let him go.”

Joshua closed his eyes tight. He didn’t even know the whole story, and he didn’t like this Adrian bastard already. “Why don’t you start from the beginning?”

Alexi looked at him. “Are you sure you want to know? I mean-

“Don’t leave out anything, brown eyes.”

****

It took a few minutes to get Alexi started, but by the time he was done, Joshua was sure of one thing. Adrian Rosen was a bastard. Joshua clenched his jaw as he sat at the kitchen table and wished the bastard would walk through the door. Adrian deserved a beating and possibly a shot in the leg for good measure. Alexi nursed his coffee as he finished his tale.

“Taka and Lily begged me to sign a restraining order against him but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I don’t think he’ll try to come back but if he does, I want to ask him why he did it. I thought we meant more to each other than that.”

“Alexi, there are answers you don’t want in life.” Joshua placed his hand over Alexi’s on his coffee cup. “I’m lucky all Lily wanted was a back ground check on me. I probably would have gone overboard if I were her.”

“My family has a tendency to go overboard.” Alexi kept his gaze lowered to his coffee. “I needed you to know about Adrian before we go to my grand parents.”

“I understand.” Joshua patted Alexi’s hand before he sat back in his chair. “So, what did they find out? Do I have a long lost relative with a lot of money?”

Alexi’s eyes widened for a moment before he laughed. It was a contagious melodious laugh that made Joshua smile. “I actually don’t know. Lily has the report, if you want to see it.”

“You didn’t look at it?” Joshua raised his eyebrows in surprise. He’d expected Alexi to get the report. “And here I thought you knew all there was to know about me.”

“I prefer to know that from you.” Alexi confessed shyly. “But if you really want to read it,-

“I don’t.” Joshua cut in with a shrug. “I don’t care what they found. I’ve never lied to you, Alexi.”

“I know.” Alexi smiled at him. “Except when you said you didn’t want to hear about Adrian.”

“Did I?” Joshua shrugged. He didn’t care for this Adrian. “Well, he is not that great a guy. It’s his loss.”

“His loss,” Alexi repeated with a questioning glance.

Joshua got off his stool and walked around the kitchen table to Alexi. He captured Alexi’s delectable mouth in a hard demanding kiss. He savored the strong taste of coffee, his tongue dueling with Alexi’s, stroking, possessing. His heart hammered against his chest as he broke away to catch his breath and kissed Alexi again.

He didn’t want to stop, wouldn’t have stopped if Lily didn’t choose that moment to interrupt them. Alexi moaned when he pulled back and pressed his face into Joshua’s chest. Joshua glanced at Lily with an accusing gaze.

“What? You two got quiet in here; I thought you killed each other.” She raised her hands up in surrender. “I should have known you were past the petty fight. That kiss was hot.”

“Go away, Lily.” Alexi ordered against his chest.

Joshua stroked a hand over Alexi’s trembling back.

“I’d love to darling, but you both need to get ready. Nonna Marion will start calling me in exactly two hours,” Lily said holding up her phone.

Alexi groaned and pulled away. “It takes almost three hours to drive to Old Montauk. You need to get ready, Josh. Go take a shower.”

“Are you sure you won’t join me?” Joshua asked reluctant to let go of Alexi. His body was raging at him, needing Alexi. He stroked fingers through brown silky hair.

“Not if you want to make a good impression on that woman.” Lily warned waving her black berry at him. “Alexi, tell him.”

“Shower, Josh. I promise to make the three hour ride memorable.” Alexi bargained with a sly smile at him. “Lily got us a limo.”

Joshua grinned at the bribe. He winked at Lily and hurried out of the kitchen.

*****

“Promising wild sexual favors in the back of a limo,” Lily mused. “You’ve come a long way, Alexander Kotaru.”

Alexi blushed at her compliment and buried his face in his hands. “I don’t know how I’m going to handle Nonna Marion. She’s going to grill Joshua like a drill sergeant. You have to help me Lily. Why aren’t you coming today?”

“Because I don’t want to interrupt wild sexual favors in the back of a limo,” Lily said taking his coffee. She sipped it with a sigh. “Besides, I have my own problems to deal with. Taka is going to be there tomorrow. You know how your clan gets.”

“Everyone’s known about you two for years.” Alexi told her dropping his hands to study her. “He used to watch you from a corner in all the company parties I dragged you to.”

“What,” Lily frowned and met his gaze. “You’re joking with me.”

“Phillip is the one who pointed it out to me once.” Alexi told her with a smile. “I think it will be a relief, he was starting to look pitiful.”

“Why didn’t you ever say anything to me?”

Alexi took back his coffee from her and sipped it. “I thought you had your reasons. The same way you tolerated Adrian even though you didn’t like him.”

“A lot of people don’t like Adrian, from your father, your mother and brother, and even your grandparents. You held on to him so tightly, I don’t think you would have seen what he was doing if it weren’t for Joshua.”

“What are you saying?” Alexi frowned at her.

She took his coffee cup. “I’m pretty sure Nonna Marion will be kinder to Joshua than she was to Adrian.”

“How come you never told me?” Alexi asked as she finished his coffee.

“Were you in a position to listen?” She raised a brow at him when he started to protest. Lily always did what he asked, protecting his interest even when she was against them. He’d been adamant about keeping Adrian as a friend even after they broke up. An irrational fear of being alone had forced that need, he knew that now. Lily wouldn’t have been able to convince him otherwise.

She placed his coffee mug on the table. She was in old pink pajama bottoms and a sleeveless pink tee shirt. She smiled at him when she found him staring.

“I finished your coffee.”

He leaned over and pressed a soft kiss on her cheek. The chaste kiss had her blinking in surprise.

“What was that for?”

“Thanks Lily, I know I don’t say that often.” He ruffled her messed up short hair and got off the stool. “But, that’s okay coz I let you steal my coffee. I told you to get a boyfriend and steal his coffee.”

“In case you haven’t noticed I do have a boyfriend now.”

“Then we need to get you to a psychiatrist. You have a strange fixation for my coffee.”

She stuck her tongue out at him and he sighed.

Lily laughed and ordered. “Go get your bags ready, the driver is going to be calling in the next twenty minutes.”

“Twenty?” he made a show of panic. “Why didn’t you say anything before?”

“Excuse me, who was having a nervous breakdown two hours ago?” Lily pointed out as he rushed out of the kitchen.

Hello, Hello :)
Chapter 16 is here. This was another exciting chapter to write, was hoping to really establish Joshua and Alexi's relationship. I'm hoping that I did that for you with this one. My editor read it three times, three rewrites later, I think he's an angel sent to help me. So, as always I thank him. Do tell me your thoughts, love those, Joshua is soon to start meeting Alexi's side of the family, look forward to that.
2013 lilansui (suilanlee)
  • Like 25
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm happy to see another chapter, and especially glad that Alexi managed not to

freak out too much over the lecture series. Maybe that will help him later with his

stage fright, but some people, even well known performers, never get rid of it

altogether. They just find ways to cope. Joshua is so good for Alexi, he's a very

observant, caring man. I'm curious about the grandparents. If all else fails, Alexi

can just tell them how they met, -about Josh saving his life, and they'll love him.

 

Now I wonder what kind of characters these relatives of Alexi's turn out to be.

Just a bit eccentric maybe? Dazzle us!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/15/2013 06:58 PM, Stephen said:
I'm happy to see another chapter, and especially glad that Alexi managed not to

freak out too much over the lecture series. Maybe that will help him later with his

stage fright, but some people, even well known performers, never get rid of it

altogether. They just find ways to cope. Joshua is so good for Alexi, he's a very

observant, caring man. I'm curious about the grandparents. If all else fails, Alexi

can just tell them how they met, -about Josh saving his life, and they'll love him.

 

Now I wonder what kind of characters these relatives of Alexi's turn out to be.

Just a bit eccentric maybe? Dazzle us!

Eccentric, hmmm, probably, definitely not like Joshua's family. I'll work on the Dazzle ;)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I for one can't wait for the 4th of July family get together. It should be quite interesting.

Joshua has turned Alexi into a much more mature, and self assured men, and did I mention insatiable? lol

But I do feel that Alexi should sign the papers against Adrian, for safety purposes.

Great chapter girl. Waiting for more. Please?????

  • Like 1
Link to comment

So glad you're back with EBaC Sui. =)

 

Olympic event for texting, hmmmm, is THAT why they took out wrestling????? Although instead of wrestling, my kid could go out for Olympic texting. lol

 

I love the way Josh kept screwing up Adrian's name. That was funny.

 

I would be insulted too if I found out my b/f family had him checked out. But I totally get that they had to, especially after the Adrian debacle, but also b/c Koturu, (or is it Koturo? I don't remember, sorry...Kotaru maybe?), is such an important name, I'm sure background checks are done on everyone the family comes across.

 

I'm glad Alexi was able to teach the class. It's good that he was ablel to relax enough to do this. :)

 

I'm looking forward to Joshua meeting Alexi's family, and vice-versa.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/16/2013 05:34 AM, joann414 said:
I for one can't wait for the 4th of July family get together. It should be quite interesting.

Joshua has turned Alexi into a much more mature, and self assured men, and did I mention insatiable? lol

But I do feel that Alexi should sign the papers against Adrian, for safety purposes.

Great chapter girl. Waiting for more. Please?????

I hear yah, Jo Ann. :) I'll post more chapters soon. Thanks for reading.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/16/2013 04:22 PM, Lisa said:
So glad you're back with EBaC Sui. =)

 

Olympic event for texting, hmmmm, is THAT why they took out wrestling????? Although instead of wrestling, my kid could go out for Olympic texting. lol

 

I love the way Josh kept screwing up Adrian's name. That was funny.

 

I would be insulted too if I found out my b/f family had him checked out. But I totally get that they had to, especially after the Adrian debacle, but also b/c Koturu, (or is it Koturo? I don't remember, sorry...Kotaru maybe?), is such an important name, I'm sure background checks are done on everyone the family comes across.

 

I'm glad Alexi was able to teach the class. It's good that he was ablel to relax enough to do this. :)

 

I'm looking forward to Joshua meeting Alexi's family, and vice-versa.

A friend told me that about the texting, I couldn't resist. :) It's Kotaru, you're doing fine. :) I'm actually writing Ch. 17 right now, hoping it comes out soon. It's kind of exciting that we're at this moment now, which is awesome. Thanks for reading Lisa. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm so looking forward to see (read) meeting of Josh and Alexi's family. I'm sure they will love him as much as we love him.

On the Adrian part, I really think Alexi must listen to Lily and sign those papers. Adrian should get what he actually deserves.

I'm happy about Lily and Taka and glad that they are with Alexi. It was good to see Alexi teaching those students and the credit goes to Joshua (and his kisses).

Great Chapter Sui, waiting for more:)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/17/2013 06:13 PM, sacredlove said:
I'm so looking forward to see (read) meeting of Josh and Alexi's family. I'm sure they will love him as much as we love him.

On the Adrian part, I really think Alexi must listen to Lily and sign those papers. Adrian should get what he actually deserves.

I'm happy about Lily and Taka and glad that they are with Alexi. It was good to see Alexi teaching those students and the credit goes to Joshua (and his kisses).

Great Chapter Sui, waiting for more:)

So much anticipation for this meeting, I'm actually under a bit of pressure, hehehe, but don't worry, I can take it. I'm busy writing away, it's coming easier than the previous two chapters. Thanks for reading Sacred. ;)
Link to comment

Do I ever love this story: wow again, Sui! I was worried that Alexi's concern about leaving Josh at the end of the summer was going to prevent him from enjoying the summer that they have to share. I'm so glad that he did not respond that way although I still worry that he will resist whatever is proposed about how they can be together after August. After what Joshua is able to do to calm Alexi, however, even to the point of starting him back towards being on a stage, I hope there will be a way. We've only heard a little about Joshua's academic focus: could there be a way to combine his academic quest for tenure into a project that has him traveling with Alexi? Guess we'll have to just wait for your muse and your time to let them tell us. :thumbup:

One question: Joshua speaks at least some Japanese, but we have not seen any evidence of his ability to interact in the Japanese language and culture. Perhaps that is also going to change at the July 4th reunion.

Oh, and I'm with the others who think Alexi needs to sign those restraining orders. Both to protect himself and to help sunder the remaining connection (addiction?) to his catnip, Alexi needs to sign those papers!!! Just wish they could add a restraint against Adrian interacting with Joshua: I would not put it past Adrian to hurt Alexi by hurting someone he loves -- although THAT action I think WOULD sunder any remaining connection.

Thanks so much for sharing the lives of Alexi and Joshua with us!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/18/2013 03:35 AM, hillj69 said:
Do I ever love this story: wow again, Sui! I was worried that Alexi's concern about leaving Josh at the end of the summer was going to prevent him from enjoying the summer that they have to share. I'm so glad that he did not respond that way although I still worry that he will resist whatever is proposed about how they can be together after August. After what Joshua is able to do to calm Alexi, however, even to the point of starting him back towards being on a stage, I hope there will be a way. We've only heard a little about Joshua's academic focus: could there be a way to combine his academic quest for tenure into a project that has him traveling with Alexi? Guess we'll have to just wait for your muse and your time to let them tell us. :thumbup:

One question: Joshua speaks at least some Japanese, but we have not seen any evidence of his ability to interact in the Japanese language and culture. Perhaps that is also going to change at the July 4th reunion.

Oh, and I'm with the others who think Alexi needs to sign those restraining orders. Both to protect himself and to help sunder the remaining connection (addiction?) to his catnip, Alexi needs to sign those papers!!! Just wish they could add a restraint against Adrian interacting with Joshua: I would not put it past Adrian to hurt Alexi by hurting someone he loves -- although THAT action I think WOULD sunder any remaining connection.

Thanks so much for sharing the lives of Alexi and Joshua with us!

Catnip is so hard to give up though, John,...can you tell, I had a kitten last year.;) Very addicted to that stuff. Hopefully Alexi can beat the habit without too much pain. As for Joshua, judging from the kind of family Alexi comes from, winning them over might be challenging, but he's a smart guy. I think Adrian could be capable of doing anything at this point. You're right about that, although it would also mean he'd have to give up all ties to Alexi. I guess we'll find out soon enough if Alexi matters at all to him in that sense.

 

I love sharing this story with you, talking about it is even better. Thank you for the opportunity. :) As always, Sui.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..