Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 6,350 Words
  • 4,869 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Electric Blue and Catnip - 26. Chapter 26

Chapter Twenty-Six

Joshua touched a green wreath, tugging the red ribbon tied at the top. December was here, and Christmas shopping had taken over everyone's lives. He sighed as he trailed after Alicia at Pearls on Canal street. She was shopping for painting supplies for their older sister Jenny's son. He'd won an art competition a week ago.

Josh,” Alicia said and he glanced up to find her watching him. “You're worrying me. Are you still worrying about Alexi?”

He nodded and dropped his hand away from the wreath. He moved to watch her sort through different brand names of oil paints. She was glowing, he thought. Her pregnancy was going very well. Her husband, Patrick, was doting on her every move. She was happy and he envied her. He and Alexi, he sighed. If their lives were simpler, this wouldn't be so hard.

Taka's visit last weekend kept floating in his head. Alexi's family, he was afraid to meet them. How could they threaten Alexi like that?

What do I do?” Joshua asked meeting Alicia's concerned gaze. “Alexi is adamant about moving here. He doesn't care that his family will disown him. How can I let that happen?”

Alicia sighed and chose a brand. She placed the paints in the shopping basket he was holding and tugged his scarf.

I want to be selfish,” she said with a sigh. “I can't imagine New York without you, Josh. Who would I drag to these places? Or go for lunch with?” He started to talk, but she stopped him with a small smile. “Don't look so stricken. I'm not trying to put you on the spot. My point is, the right thing to do here is to follow your heart. What can you live with?”

Joshua frowned. “I can let Alexi do what he wants. Since he wants to move here, I should let him.”

Are you sure its what he wants?” Alicia asked and continued down the aisle.

He stared after her, his thoughts on Alexi. Since Alexi had asked him to let the job go, their calls had dwindled. He couldn't bear it, but he just didn't understand why Alexi wasn't telling him the truth. They needed trust between them. He knew that much. If they couldn't manage trust then all this was useless.

Yet, Alexi's love shone bright in his willingness to sacrifice his life as he knew it. If he were to judge him by what Taka had said, Alexi's love for him was beyond measure.

Let's go, I'm done,” Alicia said taking his left arm. “I still need to buy Shane's gift, I think I'll get him a new cellphone. What do you say?”

He'll love it,” Joshua said absentminded.

Alicia laughed. “The last time I said that you almost had my head for lunch. You definitely need some help.”

Joshua smiled at her as they reached the check out line. “It might not be such a bad idea, lil' sis. It will be the easiest way to keep in touch with Shane.“

Does that mean you're considering the offer?” Alicia asked as the cashier checked them out.

Every minute,” Joshua answered quietly.

Alicia glanced at him for a second before she handed over her card to the cashier. Joshua took the shopping bag and waited for Alicia to finish with the cashier. She didn't talk until they were on the street.

Then take the offer,” Alicia said.

What about Alexi?” he asked with a sigh. “I mean-

What about you?” Alicia asked. “Director of Asian Culture at the Zantam Foundation, how many times will such a position come your way? They wouldn't have asked you if you weren't qualified. I think you should focus on that as well.”

Joshua smiled at Alicia's vehement argument. “You're right, but I also have to consider Alexi.”

He has to consider you too,” she insisted. “He's living his dream, Josh. His music, his stage, and you. I think he has to give you the chance to live yours too. So, I hope you choose to take the job.”

What about shopping and dragging me through the streets of New York?” he asked her. “If I take this job, I'll need to stay in Japan sometimes.”

She slipped her hand on his elbow and grinned. “It just means I get a chance to fly over to Japan and drag you through the streets of Tokyo.”

Osaka,” he corrected thinking if he did move, he'd live with Alexi.

Osaka then,” Alicia said happily. “Talk some sense into Alexi, Josh. It makes no sense for him to never see his family. You'll both be happier if you take the job.”

Joshua tugged her into a hug. He pressed a kiss on the top of her head. “Thanks, Alicia.”

Anytime,” Alicia said. “You owe me lunch. I'm craving mum's brownies. Let's go to her bakery.”

Seriously,” Joshua asked with a sigh. “That's going to take forever.”

Hey, I'm the one who's eating for two, not you. Come on,” Alicia insisted.

Joshua hugged her tighter, aware that it was probably going to be a while before they had another such outing. Snow was falling again. He looked up at the tiny flakes and felt a small smile tug at his lips.

*****

Alexi missed five notes before he gave up on playing the notes on his music sheets. His mother's heels were rapping a beat on the wooden stage, he couldn't concentrate. She'd shown up right after lunch wearing a grim expression. He could almost hear her anger boil inside her.

Mum, please, can't you stop pacing?” he asked hoping she'd stopped.

Take it back,” Allegra insisted pausing long enough to glare at him. “Why would you ask Joshua not to work for Zantam?”

Because, you're treating us like pawns in a game. If Joshua works for you, you'll end up finding a way to manipulate him.”

Your lack of trust really hurts me,” Allegra accused. “What do you want me to say?'

That you'll let me leave for New York peacefully,” Alexi said closing the piano. He shifted on the bench so that he was facing her.

How can I?” Allegra demanded. “How can I tell your grandfather that you're leaving. How Alexi, when even I can't find the strength to let you go?”

You helped me when it was Adrian,” Alexi pointed out. “Why is it different now?”

Look what happened with Adrian?”

Alexi closed his eyes. “Are you going to punish me for that for the rest of my life? Mum, let it go. Josh is not Adrian.”

You're right, he isn't Adrian. He's taking you from me,” Allegra said with quiet anger.

Enough,” he stood up. “I love him. I want a life with him, one without the family meddling. I'm not taking it back. The moment this tour is over, I'm moving to New York.”

Allegra gaped at him. She turned away from him after a second with a sigh. “You know what comes with that.”

I do,” Alexi said firmly. “I'll apologize to grandfather myself.”

She nodded. “What about your father, Phillip and me? Is it that easy for you to walk away from us?”

Alexi bit his inner lip to stop the tears that filled his eyes. “You know it's not.”

Allegra swallowed hard. “Fine, if that's what you've decided. I'll do what I can to make it easy for you with your grandfather.”

Alexi nodded and gave her a bow. “I'm sorry, Mum. This is the only way I know to protect him.”

Well, I hope he knows what you're giving up for him,” Allegra said when he lifted his head. She closed the distance between them, and caressed his jaw with gentle fingers. “My dear Alexi, I would never let you go, you know that, right? No matter where you go, I'll come visit you. I love you, kiddo.”

He forced down the lump in his throat and managed. “I love you too.”

He breathed in her perfume and closed his eyes as she held him tight. He'd miss her terribly. She'd always tried to protect him in a fight to let him be whom he wanted. He'd miss her strength.

After she left, he couldn't concentrate on rehearsals. Retreating to his dressing room, he decided to call Joshua on Skype.

I was just about to call you,” Joshua said when he answered. “Are you at the concert venue?”

Yeah,” he said. “My mother just left.”

Did she want you to change your mind about my job?,” Joshua asked.

Alexi sank into the leather couch set against the wall in his dressing room. “How did you know?”

I'm calling to ask you to change your mind too. I want the job, Alexi.”

What?” Alexi sighed. “Josh-”

No you listen, this is my career. I have every right to do what I want with it. So, you should support my dreams too.”

But-”

But what, Alexi?” Joshua asked his tone hard. “When are you going to tell me the truth about what you'll lose if you move here?”

I've told you, I'm losing nothing.”

Bullshit,” Joshua countered. “You're lying to me.”

What matters here is us,” Alexi insisted. “My family-,”

I'm not in love with your family, Alexi.” Joshua said firmly. “I'm in love with you. I need you to trust me. So, choose, right now. Tell me what's going on in your head.”

Alexi couldn't get the words out. He couldn't tell Joshua about his inheritance, or the shock his grandfather was going to have when he gave up stewardship of the Foundation. He sighed. “It has nothing-”

Call me when you can tell me the truth,” Joshua said and ended the call abruptly.

Alexi gasped and stared at the dark screen. He closed his eyes and dropped the phone on the coffee table. Why was this so hard? He just wanted to protect Joshua from the family. All he had to do was hold on until the tour ended. And then he'd be in New York and all this wouldn't matter. Joshua wouldn't be angry with him anymore. He sighed and hoped he was right.

****

Joshua studied his phone, pain in his heart. He hadn't liked yelling at Alexi, but how else was he going to get at the truth. He sat back on the comfortable chair in the borrowed office at the Zantam New York branch. Taka was arranging papers that he wanted him to sign.

He still won't tell me,” Joshua grumbled looking at Taka. Placing his phone on the shiny mahogany desk, he picked up the contract Taka passed to him. “Why is he so stubborn?”

He loves you,” Taka said with a small grin. “But, I suspect he's probably met his match with you. Once you sign these, you'll be a Zantam Foundation Director. I'm hoping your lawyer answered any questions you might have had.”

Joshua nodded. He'd taken the documents to Malcolm Deveraux for advice. Malcolm had assured him it was an overly generous offer, with no hidden clauses to control his life when he least expected it. He picked up the pen Taka held out and paused.

Before I sign this, I need to clear something up with Allegra,” he said. “How can I talk to her?”

Taka gave him a pained look. Joshua put the pen on the side of the papers and Taka gave a sigh. He watched Taka reach for his phone and dial a few numbers. They waited for Allegra to answer.

She's not in a good mood these days,” Taka warned as he put the cell phone on the table on speaker. “Alexi's coup is making her cranky.”

What's the problem?” Allegra answered abruptly.

Good afternoon, Mrs. Kotaru,” Joshua said cordially. “I hoped we could talk.”

Joshua,” she said with a sigh. “You're the last person I want to talk to right now.”

Taka stood. “I'm going to get myself a cup of coffee.” He hurried out of the office, making sure to close the door behind him.

Why is that, Mrs. Kotaru?” Joshua asked.

Alexi is leaving Japan for good because of you,” Allegra said without pulling any punches. She wasn't happy, and he could hear it in her voice. “He's determined to put us all through hell.”

He is not moving for good, Mrs. Kotaru,” he said in a gentle tone. “Please trust me. I want to sign the contracts Taka prepared for the position you offered.”

Does Alexi know?” Allegra asked in shock.

No,” Joshua said leaning on the table. “But before I accept this position, I need guarantees from you.”

Guarantees?” Allegra asked in amusement. “I'm the one offering the job, Mr. Randolph.”

This has nothing to do with the job. It's about your son, Mrs. Kotaru.”

What about my son?”

I want a life with him, but judging from what he's been telling me these past three weeks, he's terrified you'll interfere if I take this job.”

Allegra remained silent at her end, so Joshua continued.

I want a promise from you,” he said firmly.

What promise?” Allegra demanded.

That you'll leave us alone, leave Alexi to me,” Joshua said quietly. “I'm in love with him.”

Love is for the birds,” Allegra said with a scoff. “It flies out the window when the going gets tough. How can I trust you won't walk away once you get what you want from Alexi?”

Faith,” Joshua said, he didn't have any other words that could reassure Allegra. He just knew it deep in his heart that he and Alexi would be forever. “That's what I'm trusting. I don't want Alexi to be sad when he can't see you. I want him to keep playing his music. I want to be with him-”

Enough,” Allegra said.

I won't let you or anyone come between me and Alexi. Our relationship is separate from this job. If you can't agree to that, tell me now and I'll just let Alexi move here.”

Is that a threat, Joshua?” Allegra asked. “Don't think I can't make him stay. I can find a way.”

Joshua stood up and moved away from the table pacing to the windows. He had no doubt that she could, that scared him, but he couldn't back down now. For Alexi's sake, he needed to make a stand.

You're missing my point, Mrs. Kotaru. You and I are not in a battle. We both love Alexi and want what's best for him. If you can't see that, then we can't move forward.”

There was silence on Allegra's end for a few moments. “I find myself in a unique place. I've always been the one protecting Alexi. Now here you are, quite capable of taking care of him, probably better than I ever could because you see the side of him he keeps from me. But, I'm worried you'll not be strong enough to protect him from the deep prejudices you'll find in our world, Joshua.”

Why did you offer me this job?”

I'd like to say your impressive resume,” she said quietly.

Don't hold back now,” Joshua said with a small laugh. “Alexi wouldn't react the way he has if it was as you say. If I take the job, it will be because I'm qualified for it.”

The Zantam Foundation does need you, Joshua. Family matters aside, you're the best man for the job.”

Family matters aside?” Joshua asked.

I know what you want from me, but I can't separate the family from the foundation.”

Yes you can,” Joshua insisted. “You have to do it for Alexi.”

I can't,” Allegra said quietly. “But I can make sure you and Alexi don't get drawn into the extended family drama.”

What about you? Who'll make sure you won't interfere with us?” he asked matching her tone.

She chuckled. “I suppose you will, Joshua. Isn't that what you're doing right now? Making sure I don't interfere?”

He smiled.

I can't change overnight,” Allegra said then. “If I promise to work on not meddling, will you take the job?”

I'll take the job, but you have to remember that work is separate from my personal life. Alexi is a huge part of that, Mrs. Kotaru.”

Understood,” Allegra said after a minute. “You drive a hard bargain, Joshua Randolph. I wouldn’t accept anything less.”

Joshua smiled. “Thank you for the opportunity.”

Make my son happy,” Allegra said abruptly then hung up.

*****

Alexi scrolled through the messages on his phone with a sigh. There were no new messages from Joshua. He lay on the couch in the back of the bus wallowing and Lily was doing her best to cheer him up by decorating the tour bus for the holidays. She sat in an armchair putting ornaments on a Christmas tree while she hummed to English Christmas songs. There was only one week to Christmas and he wanted nothing to do with it.

He and Joshua hadn’t spoken much since their last phone call a week ago, when Joshua had asked him for the truth.. Joshua had sounded strained, preoccupied. The distance in Joshua’s voice had felt like it was shredding their relationship.

His mother's visit hadn't helped. She was angry with him and he couldn’t blame her. The family was outraged with his news to move permanently to New York. His grandfather had decided that if he left the country, then he was no longer fit to take care of the Foundation. His family had spent days cajoling, ranting, and threatening him to change his mind.

But what choice did he have?

How could he trust Joshua to a family that wanted to cut him off just because he wanted to relocate? He’d tried to call Joshua several times but his boyfriend was ignoring his calls. It was driving him insane not being able to get a hold of Joshua. Twice now, he’d stopped himself from just abandoning the tour and getting on a plane to go find Joshua in New York. This insane silence was torture.

It was a cold afternoon, no snow, but the temperatures were low; the driver was crawling through traffic driving into Nagoya city. He had twenty more concerts to go, the end of January was still so far away. There was no way he could wait that long to see Joshua. They needed to talk, seriously. He sighed and turned over to his side.

You look like you’re in mourning,” Lily said with a sigh. “I’m missing Taka too, you know.”

He’s an hour or two away.” Alexi tucked his phone into his pocket and watched her clip white reindeer on the branches of the tree. “My poor Josh is all the way in New York. And he’s angry with me. I feel as if he’ll never forgive me for asking him not to take that job.”

He loves you,” Lily said with a small smile. “He’ll forgive you.”

Love is not always enough to make a relationship work,” Alexi said quietly. “Mum told me that once. I’m starting to see what she meant.”

Enough with that attitude,” Lily warned him with a glare. “I know what you and Josh mean to each other.”

It’s not an attitude, it’s the truth,” Alexi said sitting up; he put his sock feet on the carpet and met Lily’s glare. “Sacrifice, endurance, pain, and compromise, that’s what makes a relationship. Love is like the icing on the cake.”

Lily laughed and he scowled at her. She raised her arms in surrender when he threw a pillow at her. “You’re just surprising me, Alexi. You’ve really grown up.”

Alexi threw another pillow at her head and she ducked gracefully. “You’d better take notes if you and Taka are to survive.”

We’re not the topic here, you and Josh are,” Lily countered. “Do you trust Joshua?”

Of course,” Alexi said.

Then know he’d never do this to you unless something has happened,” Lily said quietly. “And you’re wrong about love.”

Why”

If love was only on the surface, you’d never have made it this far. Love is the reason why the sacrifice, endurance, pain and compromise work. Without love, you wouldn’t need those things and there wouldn’t be a relationship, my dear.”

Alexi sighed and glanced out the tinted windows at the cold afternoon. “I don’t want to spend Christmas without him.”

Lily tossed a white reindeer at him. Taking the small statue, he touched the red nose she’d painted with a marker. He glanced at her and she winked. “Keep the lights burning, you never know.”

You’re an idiot,” he said with a chuckle. He held the reindeer statue up and studied the red nose. He hoped Joshua would forgive him and call him back.

****

An hour later, installed in a suite on the top floor of the Nagoya Tokyu hotel, Alexi dialed Joshua’s number. He paced the length of the sitting area, his hand trailing the back of a cream love seat. He closed his eyes with a sigh when his call rang unanswered again. Hitting the call button again, he continued pacing, his heart hammering in his chest.

What if something had happened to Joshua, and he couldn’t answer his phone. Or maybe Shane was sick again, and Joshua didn’t have his phone with him. He stopped short. He ended the call to Joshua, pulled up Alicia’s number and dialed.

Holding on to the wooden edge of the love seat, he waited while Alicia’s phone rang.

Hello?” Alicia’s sleepy voice filled his ears.

Alicia, it’s Alexi,” he said in relief. “I’ve been trying to get a hold of Josh and there’s no response. Is he okay?”

He is fine,” Alicia said gently. “He should be at his house; he’s been so busy lately. The end of the semester and all that, the students aren't leaving him alone.”

Is he still angry with me?” Alexi asked. “Is that why he won't answer my calls?”

Alicia kept silent for a minute.

Please, tell me, Alicia. I can't stand the silence.”

I think you need to wait for him,” Alicia said sleepily. “Call him in the morning, alright? Are you taking care of yourself?”

What does it matter when I can’t think straight?” Alexi snapped. “I swear he better have broken fingers that he can’t press a button to answer my calls.”

Alexi hung up and threw the phone on the love seat. Was Joshua really that angry with him? Over a job? Come on, this was insane. Why couldn't Joshua just yell at him and get it over with?

Alexi sighed and shook his head. He was going to go crazy thinking about this.

Walking around the love seat, he picked up his phone and dialed Phillip. “I need your help. Please can you get me to New York fast?”

He didn’t stop to think about what he was doing.

Blinded by a haze of worry, he took the private jet arranged by Phillip and landed in New York eleven hours later. The car service he’d called during his flight picked him at the airport and he was on the way to Joshua’s house.

****

Joshua opened his front door at around eight o’clock in the evening. He walked into his house carrying a careful wrapped package and an envelope he’d collected from the NYU administrative office. He was officially no longer a Professor at New York University. He dropped his keys on the table in the hallway and headed into his living room. He almost dropped the package when he saw the figure seated on a chair surrounded by the moving boxes.

Welcome home.” Alexi said with a low tone. “I didn’t mean to startle you.”

Alexi, what are you doing here?” he asked in shock. “Aren’t you supposed to be at a concert?”

Moving to the wall, he hit the light switch flooding the room with warm light. His gaze helplessly going over Alexi’s lean figure, that beloved face, he spotted dark shadows under Alexi’s eyes with regret.

Are you alright?” he asked placing the package on the coffee table. Alicia was supposed to take in the dining room chairs, coffee table and a few knick-knacks tomorrow. “I’m sorry-

Are you hurting?” Alexi asked quietly cutting him off. “Obviously nothing is broken, so I need to know if you’re hurting inside.”

No, I’m healthy as a horse,” he answered with a teasing tone. “Alexi.”

Then why?” Alexi demanded standing up.

His brown eyes glittering with anger, Joshua could only gasp. Alexi was dressed in all in black: an open heavy black pea-coat, black light sweater and jeans, with his hair disheveled, he looked like he hadn’t slept in a while.

You’ve ignored my calls and messages for the past three weeks. I even called Alicia to try to get a hold of you. She said you were busy. Why would you do this to me? Is it because I said you couldn’t take the job my mother offered? I know you’re angry but to punish me this way. I’ve been losing my mind with worry. Why would you-,” Alexi broke off and looked away. He wiped a hand down his face and shook his head. “Then I walked in here, and all your stuff is packed. Are you going bankrupt or something? Why is everything gone? Why won’t you talk-?”

You won’t give me a chance,” Joshua cut in.

Are you leaving me?” Alexi demanded abruptly. “If that’s what you’re doing, tell me now.”

Words weren’t going to penetrate; Joshua thought as he took a step forward and pulled Alexi into his arms. Wrapping his arms tight around Alexi, he sighed when Alexi held stiff.

I’m not leaving you,” he said into Alexi’s ear. “I’m sorry. I just-,”

You just, what?” Alexi asked his voice hard.

I wanted to call you when it was over; that way you wouldn’t be able to protest.” Joshua rubbed his hands over Alexi’s back trying to relieve the tense shoulders. “I’m so sorry; I thought this way was best. You kept protesting, I figured if I left you no choice-”

Why are you moving?” Alexi asked. “Are you in trouble?”

Most definitely,” Joshua answered. “I’m moving to Osaka and I don’t have a place to stay. I was hoping to sweet talk you into letting me move into your house.”

What?” Alexi stepped back in shock.

Joshua smiled at him. “I took your mother’s offer. I signed the papers last week.”

Why didn’t you tell me?” Alexi demanded.

You told me not to take the job.” Joshua narrowed his gaze at him. “I wasn’t going to take the offer until Taka showed up here and told me what you’re giving up.”

He had no right.”

Yes, he did,” he said. He reached for Alexi’s right hand and held it tight. “You were going to move to New York, giving up your family, your career, everything, without telling me. How can you expect me to live happily when you can’t ever see your family?”

Alexi looked way. “I was doing it for us.”

Well, I’m helping you solve this problem.” Joshua squeezed Alexi’s slender fingers before he brought them to his lips. Pressing a soft kiss on Alexi’s cool skin, he sighed. “You should have told me what was going on.”

I didn’t want to saddle you with my family and their issues,” Alexi said meeting his gaze. “Your mom was so good to me. Your family was kind, and accepting of me. But mine,” he shuddered and dropped his gaze. “They’re not easy people, Joshua.”

Joshua pinched Alexi’s nose slightly. “Idiot,” he accused.

What?” Alexi looked at him in surprise.

We’re partners. We’re there for each other no matter what. I’ve told you before; I’ll do anything to protect what we have. So, I’m moving to Osaka for now.”

What about Shane?” Alexi asked.

Sherry and I had a long talk. Since we’ll probably end up spending our summers here in New York, she’ll allow Shane to stay with us. We can always visit him for Christmas or have him visit us. We’ll work that out.”

Alexi nodded and gave him a shaky smile.

Feel better?” he asked stroking a finger down Alexi’s jaw. “What happened?”

I-,” Alexi started then stopped. “I might have panicked and over reacted a bit. One second I was trying to call you, the next; I just couldn’t take the silence anymore. I just boarded a plane and came to find you.”

Joshua bit back a chuckle; it looked like they’d both overreacted out of panic. When Taka had told him what Alexi was planning, he’d made his choice. Two days longer and he would have been the one surprising Alexi in Japan. His ticket sat on the dining table. Alexi had obviously not seen it or he wouldn’t have worried so much.

What about your concert?”

I have to fly out in a couple of hours. Lily is going to kill me. She’ll had to cancel a lot of appointments today and tomorrow.” Alexi sighed and closed the distance between them. Alexi locked his arms around Joshua’s neck and buried his face into his shoulder. “Please don’t ever do that to me again.”

Not on purpose.” Joshua wrapped his arms around Alexi, and held him tight. “I love you, Alexi.”

I love you too,” Alexi murmured with a relieved sigh. “I’m so sleepy. Can we talk later? Do you still have a bed in this house?”

Joshua laughed, and squeezed Alexi against him. “I’ve got you, Alexi.”

***

Alexi woke up with the sun in his eyes, rolling over with a slight sigh. His heart skipped a beat when he saw Joshua. He propped his head up with his left arm and studied Joshua sleep. Dark eyelashes against his skin, Joshua made his heart ache with love. He touched the dark wavy hair with his right hand, teasing the curls, the light flooding in from the windows turning the strands different shades of black.

Joshua shifted and he went still when electric blue eyes met his. His heart had stopped the first time he saw them. That day in a park, so long ago, it felt like a lifetime. Somehow in that lifetime, he’d come to depend on the love he saw in Joshua’s eyes. That brilliant emotion shining so clearly, it made him breathless.

Morning,” Joshua said quietly.

Morning to you too,” he said matching Joshua’s tone. He leaned to kiss Joshua. Their kiss healed the places inside him that had suffered with longing these past weeks. He broke their kiss and smiled.

Joshua studied him for a moment then he moved, sitting up, he reached for something on the bedside table on his side. Alexi sat up when Joshua turned to him and held out a blue box.

What’s this?” Alexi said with a laugh.

Open it,” Joshua said sweeping fingers through Alexi’s hair.

Alexi grinned and shook the box. “What’s inside?”

Joshua bit his lip and pointed to the box. “Come on, open it.”

Alexi undid the blue ribbon and opened the box cover. He found a small gray jewelry box. Removing it, he glanced at Joshua, before he snapped it open. There were two solid white gold rings in the box.

Be with me, Alexi,” Joshua said quietly. “I want to grow old with you. I promise to love you, until the day I die and beyond.”

Alexi felt tears flood his eyes. Staring at the rings in his hand, his heart so full, and his answer burst out of him, “Yes, to forever!”

Joshua’s smile rivaled the sun’s rays flooding the bedroom. Alexi got on his knees and flung himself into Joshua’s arms. Holding Joshua tight, Alexi thanked the gods for bringing him into his life.

He pressed a kiss into Joshua’s ear and sighed when his phone rang behind him spoiling the moment. He didn’t move an inch; he kept holding Joshua not ready to let go just yet.

That’s probably Lily,” Joshua said rubbing his back.

She can wait,” Alexi said with a sigh. “I’m in trouble anyway. I won’t get back to Nagoya until tomorrow. It’s done.”

Should I come with you?” Joshua asked.

The question had Alexi pulling back. “Do you mean that?”

I have a ticket for an afternoon flight tomorrow-,” Alexi kissed him and he chuckled under the sweet joyful assault. “I take it that’s a yes.”

Alexi hugged him tight. “That’s a hell yes,” he said happily.

You’re just afraid to face Lily alone.” Joshua teased him.

Alexi relaxed against him and sighed. “I’ll face anything if you stay with me, Joshua Randolph.”

Joshua pulled away and got off the bed. Holding out his hand to Alexi, he smiled. “Then come on, we have a lot of things to do before we can go home.”

Home, Alexi thought hugging the box of rings in his hand. He took Joshua’s hand and smiled. “Home is wherever you are, Josh.”

****

Epilogue

Joshua drove along the quiet road that would take him to the beach house. His window rolled down, allowing the warm breeze to drift into the car. He smiled. Spring was his favorite time of the year. The trees were blooming, the air changing, his smile widened when he turned the car on to a tree-lined driveway, happy to be home.

He'd spent two days in Tokyo and missed the chance to pick up Shane from the airport. Sherry had agreed to let him visit Osaka during spring break. The boy was getting so big, he couldn't wait to see him.

He parked the car at the front of the house, sitting for a moment to stare at the house he'd called home for three years now, his and Alexi's home. He got out of the car, suddenly eager to see him. Hurrying up the short steps to the front door.

I'm home,” he called out when he was inside.

Removing his jacket, he hang it on a coat hanger. “Alexi, Shane?” he called again but there was no answer. Glancing at his watch, he frowned. It was only ten in the morning. They should be home. Deciding to check the kitchen before going upstairs, Joshua undid his tie and unbuttoned his white shirt. He yawned, feeling the effects of traveling on his shoulders. He needed a hot shower and a few hours of sleep.

When he entered the bright kitchen, he frowned when he found it empty. He walked to the fridge to get a bottle of water and smiled when he saw the pictures stuck on the door. Alexi's smiling face at the beach, Alexi and Shane on the train to Tokyo, he touched the smiles on their faces.

An excited shout caught his attention and he glanced out the kitchen windows and there they were. Alexi was laughing as he held up a water gun trying to ward off Shane's attack. He wasn't succeeding, Joshua thought with a quiet laugh. Alexi's white t-shirt was getting soaked. The two of them ran off down to the beach.

Joshua hurried out the kitchen door and followed them. He stopped on the slight hill leading down to the beach to find them laying on the sand their water guns discarded. Alexi turned on his side and propped his head up to study Shane.

He hurried down the slight incline removing his shoes and socks when he hit the sand. Alexi glanced up right then, and touched Shane's shoulder.

Dad's here,” Alexi said.

Shane sat up and gave a happy shout when he saw him. His heart squeezed tight when Shane stood and ran toward him. Joshua braced himself for the force of the hug.

We were waiting for you,” Shane said stepping back. “Alexi made the best pancakes. We kept them for you because you were going to be late. What took you so long?”

I'm sorry I missed breakfast,” Joshua said ruffling Shane's hair. He'd cut it short for the summer. “I saw you two playing out here. Who won the watergun fight?”

I did,” Shane said with a laugh. Joshua let Shane lead him to Alexi who sat watching them with somber brown eyes. “Alexi''s terrible at watergun combat.”

Hey, I can hear you,” Alexi warned. “Next time, I won't hold back.”

Shane laughed. “We'll see. Can we take pictures? I promised Aunt Alicia pictures of us at the beach.”

Joshua winked at Alexi. “Shane, why don't you go get your camera?”

Yes!” Shane ran off toward the house and Joshua watched after him with a sense of pride. Turning, his heart skipped a beat at the sight of Alexi.

Hey you,” he said moving closer. Taking the hand Alexi held out to him, he tugged him to his feet and into his arms. He closed his eyes when Alexi kissed him.

Welcome home,” Alexi said, when they moved apart. “We missed you last night. We had a video game marathon. I might have sprained my thumbs.”

Joshua laughed and hugged him tight, breathing in his scent. “I thought you were the king of video games?”

Hey, I am,” Alexi said against his neck. “How was Tokyo?”

Busy, lonely,” Joshua answered pressing kisses on Alexi's neck. “Next time, you're coming with me.”

Don't I always,” Alexi asked with a slight moan, his fingers digging into his back. “If you keep doing that, this beach is going to get R rated soon.”

Joshua chuckled and kissed him again. “Fine, I'll stop if you promise to feed me.”

Didn't you hear? I have the best pancakes waiting for you in the kitchen.” Alexi teased leaning back to meet his gaze.

So I've heard,” Joshua smiled staring into warm brown eyes. He couldn't remember the time before Alexi. In his world, it seemed Alexi had always been by his side, waiting for him, loving him. “Do you know what?”

Alexi raised a brow in question. “What?”

I'm the luckiest man there is,” he said.

Alexi kissed his jaw and smiled. “We're both lucky, Josh. You're my everything. You and Shane.”

****

Fin

 

And so, Josh, Alexi and I take a bow.   I thank you for your incredible support for this story.  I cherish every one of your reviews, comments and messages that you sent me, spurring me on to the end. Thank you!!
For rndmrunner, (Editor R) your thoughts, suggestions and the stories of your experiences, they have helped me write this story.  I hope you always get to visit the Washington Square Park and see the Piano Man.  Thank you for your hard work!!
From Sui, :wub:
Until next time.
2013 lilansui (suilanlee)
  • Like 32
  • Love 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Finally! I just KNEW you hadn't forgotten this story. :o Thank You.

Now....BRAVO!!!!! Perfect wrap up. These last two chapters were well worth waiting for. (4 w's in a row, hahaha). The solution was a gem. and Yep, Joshua is a perfect match for Mom.

This is one of my favorite stories and I'll read it again. Pat yourself on the back. :worship:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/22/2014 10:55 AM, LadyDe said:
Finally! I just KNEW you hadn't forgotten this story. :o Thank You.

Now....BRAVO!!!!! Perfect wrap up. These last two chapters were well worth waiting for. (4 w's in a row, hahaha). The solution was a gem. and Yep, Joshua is a perfect match for Mom.

This is one of my favorite stories and I'll read it again. Pat yourself on the back. :worship:

Thank you LadyDe,I'm sorry for the wait, but I'm glad the ending was good for you. Cheers!!
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/22/2014 02:08 PM, Susuki Redd said:
I loved this so much. Josexi is my OTP. Perfect ending
Susuki!!! Happy New Year!! Thanks for reading :) Josexi for life! lol.
  • Like 2
Link to comment

As LadyDe said: well worth the wait! Omg Sui! You made me cry and cry and cry!!!!!

 

What a beautiful story and the epilogue was fantastic! I'm just so glad they worked out a way for them to be together. Well of course with Allegra's help. Even if Alexi made it much more complicated than it needed to be.

 

Terrific story, Sui! :) I will definitely miss these two.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/23/2014 02:30 AM, Suvitar said:
Such an amazing story :worship:​ I´ve really enjoyed it and will read it again one day :read:
Thank you Suvitar, I'm happy you loved it, and thank you for always reading too!! :) Cheers.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/23/2014 02:33 PM, Lisa said:
As LadyDe said: well worth the wait! Omg Sui! You made me cry and cry and cry!!!!!

 

What a beautiful story and the epilogue was fantastic! I'm just so glad they worked out a way for them to be together. Well of course with Allegra's help. Even if Alexi made it much more complicated than it needed to be.

 

Terrific story, Sui! :) I will definitely miss these two.

Tissues, Tissues for you, lol :) Thank you Lisa!! It was a fun to write for Alexi and Josh, I will miss them both too. :) I haven't forgotten the other one, I'll send you mail soon. ^_^
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm happy that Alexi and Josh are together at last. The long separation over and

they are all happy as a family. These last chapters were well worth the wait.

Thank you for the fine story!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/24/2014 07:52 PM, Stephen said:
I'm happy that Alexi and Josh are together at last. The long separation over and

they are all happy as a family. These last chapters were well worth the wait.

Thank you for the fine story!

Thank you for Reading, Stephen!! Thank you also for sticking through to the end, it means a lot to me. :)
  • Like 2
Link to comment

And they lived happily ever after.

 

First of all thanks a lot for sharing this amazing romantic story with us, Sui. It was a great journey filled with faith and love. Like 'Kiss me to Springtime', this story will also have a very special place in my heart. I'll always love Joshexi and surely going to miss them.

 

The end was perfect with Josh, Alexi and Shane together. A family, a home, it was just amazing. A great job, Sui. It is one of my favorite stories and will always be. Once again, thanks. Take care:)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/27/2014 01:04 AM, sacredlove said:
And they lived happily ever after.

 

First of all thanks a lot for sharing this amazing romantic story with us, Sui. It was a great journey filled with faith and love. Like 'Kiss me to Springtime', this story will also have a very special place in my heart. I'll always love Joshexi and surely going to miss them.

 

The end was perfect with Josh, Alexi and Shane together. A family, a home, it was just amazing. A great job, Sui. It is one of my favorite stories and will always be. Once again, thanks. Take care:)

And so they did, :)^_^ I'm happy you loved this story just as much. It was a journey, one full of loads of fun, I learned a lot writing it, so hopefully what I learned through EB&C will end up coming out on my next story. Thanks for your support, Sacred as always.
  • Like 2
Link to comment

 

Perfect ending! Kind of wanted to "Gibbs Slap" Alexi cause he was being so stubborn but it all worked out!! Great story! Thank you for writing it!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great story! I don't blame alexi one bit for wanting to give it all up, his family sounds horrible. I feel for shane and josh, he finally gets to see his son as much as he wants and now he moves to the other side of the world and only gets to see shane a few weeks a year. It kinda irked me that josh had a long talk with sherry and not shane, at least nothing that was mentioned. Sherry's opinion doesn't matter outside of a legal point of view, shane is the important one here not the frosty bitch of the east. Alexi and josh are great together and i hope they have a long happy life together. Crossing my fingers that shane gets to live with his dads full time after he graduates, studying abroad in Osaka would be a perfect outcome and away from that horrible mother. Josh may have forgiven her but i haven't, i hope shane moves away and only sends her postcards at Christmas time. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..