Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 5,290 Words
  • 4,803 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Electric Blue and Catnip - 22. Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Rain poured that Friday evening. Large drops pounded the pavements forcing Joshua to take a cab to Alexi’s building. He walked into the building determined to take Alicia’s advice. He and Alexi were going to talk about their future tonight.

Alexi’s parents were flying in on Monday evening; Lily had planned an ambitious itinerary. He’d read the schedule yesterday and felt overwhelmed. The Kotaru family was in town for business as well as pleasure. Lily had Alexi slotted into their daily activities amidst officials from the Japanese consulate and various businessmen.

The elevator doors opened into the penthouse and he smiled when he heard Coldplay’s fix you coming from the stereo in the kitchen. Joshua took in delicious scents of spices mixed with baking fish and remembered the first day he’d come for dinner. A smile tugged on his lips at the memory of Alexi standing by the sink eating strawberries. He entered the kitchen to find Alexi washing strawberries at the sink.

Déjà vu, he thought.

Alexi looked handsome in a beige t-shirt that clung to his shoulders, white fitted pants with his hair held in a short ponytail.

“I brought wine for those,” Joshua said when Alexi closed the tap and drained the red fruit.

Alexi glanced up with a wide grin. Joshua closed the distance between them and took Alexi’s smiling lips in a hungry kiss. He tasted strawberries and coffee, wrapping his arms around Alexi; he closed his eyes when Alexi returned his kiss and gave a soft moan.

“Hi,” Alexi said when they pulled apart.

“Hi,” he said pressing a kiss on Alexi’s jaw. He stepped back and held up the wine bottle to show Alexi. “We should do dessert before dinner.”

Alexi laughed and shook his head. “I’ve spent the past hour on the main course, Mister.” He took the wine bottle from Joshua. “Dessert after fish,” he said. “How’s Alicia?”

Joshua watched him take the bowl of strawberries and wine to the kitchen table set by the windows. Alexi returned to the island table and started chopping tomatoes he’d left on a board.

“She’s fine. She’s having a boy, Patrick is ecstatic.”

“That’s great,” Alexi said happily.

“She asked if you’d visit mum one last time before you left.”

Alexi paused in the act of chopping tomatoes to glance at him. “That’s a good idea.”

Joshua moved around the island to stand behind Alexi. He hated the tinge of sadness that fell over Alexi’s tone every time he talked about leaving. Wrapping his arms around Alexi’s waist, he pressed his body against Alexi’s back and buried his face into Alexi’s shoulder. Taking in a deep breath, he held in Alexi’s clean, intoxicating scent. It reminded him of fresh laundered clothes dried in the summer sun, carefree, warm, he pressed a kiss on the curve of Alexi’s neck and closed his eyes when Alexi leaned back against him.

After a few moments of silence, Alexi continued chopping his tomatoes. “Lily flew out this morning. She’s in Tokyo meeting Taka. We have the apartment to ourselves until Sunday.”

“What are we going to do with ourselves all alone in here?” Joshua asked, moving his hands to Alexi’s hips.

Alexi chuckled when Joshua nuzzled his neck, and pressed a kiss on his ear.

“Josh,” Alexi said, “I have to finish this if we’re having dinner tonight.”

“We can always have strawberries.” Joshua suggested his lips trailing kisses along Alexi’s neck. “We can try that trick you used when you woke me with a strawberry once.”

Alexi gave a moan when Joshua nibbled on his earlobe. “That sounds enticing, truly, but did I mention I spent an hour preparing dinner.”

Joshua slipped his right hand under Alexi’s shirt; he trailed his fingers over Alexi’s stomach, caressing warm skin. He smiled when Alexi pressed back into him and raised his knife.

“Josh,” Alexi sighed. “Please…stop teasing me.”

Joshua sighed dramatically, making Alexi laugh, and stepped back reluctant to lose Alexi’s warmth.

“Fine, what can I help with, master-chef?” he asked, moving to the sink to wash his hands.

“You can chop cilantro for me.” Alexi pointed to a fresh bunch on a tray. “I’m making a salad, everything else is ready.”

Joshua got a knife from a holder on the counter and got to work. “How was your session with Dr. Marshall?”

Alexi shrugged. “He had me sitting on the stage for an hour. We talked and afterwards, I played a few pieces, there were no episodes.”

“That’s progress,” Joshua praised cutting the cilantro into half. He piled the two halves together and started chopping it into fine pieces. A pang of guilt raced through him every time Alexi talked about his therapy. A part of him wanted Alexi to be unable to get back on stage. Maybe then, Alexi would stay in New York a bit longer. He shook his head to dispel the thought and concentrated on chopping cilantro.

“Josh,” Alexi said softly when he didn’t comment further.

He glanced up to find Alexi watching him with sad brown eyes. His heart clenched in pain, hating the thought of Alexi hurting. He dragged out a smile and said, “I’m glad you’re getting better on stage.”

“We should talk about next Friday,” Alexi said as he transferred the chopped tomatoes into a salad bowl and took the chopping board with the fine pieces of cilantro from him.

“What’s there to talk about? You’re getting on a plane and leaving me,” Joshua said with more bitterness than he’d intended.

Alexi stopped mixing the tomatoes and cilantro with a mortified expression.

“Do you think it will be that easy for me?” Alexi asked, his voice trembling. He reached for a shaker and proceeded to sprinkle the tomatoes vigorously, Joshua feared they might get a salt overdose.

Alexi slammed the shaker down on the counter and turned to the sink.

“I wish you’d come with me,” Alexi said turning on the water to wash his hands.

Joshua leaned on the counter behind him, watching Alexi rinse out dishes. He wished he could go with Alexi too but, how could he? The fall semester would be starting soon. He was due at the university on Monday, there were departmental meetings, classes to schedule, programs to plan, not to forget his own research projects.

Shane…he sighed.

A large part of him wanted to rebel, leave it all behind, pack a bag and follow Alexi.

Alexi turned wiping his hands on a grey dishcloth.

“I can’t come.” Joshua answered hating the dark shadow that crossed over Alexi’s handsome features. “I’d love to get on that plane with you, Alexi.”

“I know.” Alexi swallowed hard and dropped his gaze to the dishcloth he held.

Joshua was glad for the music because it filled the silence. How could fate treat them this way? Alexi was everything he’d ever wanted in a partner: humorous, sincere, supportive, and intelligent. Being with Alexi filled all the cracks in his heart to overflowing.

Alexi moved to the oven and removed the platter of fish. He took it to the kitchen table and started serving the pieces on to the plates laid out on the mats.

Noting Alexi’s tense shoulders, he tried to lighten the atmosphere.

“I’ll visit you on weekends, or you can visit me,” Joshua said.

“I have to work weekends. I can’t get away from the tour, we’ll have to grab hours between travel and appearances.”

“I don’t mind watching you work.” Joshua pushed off the counter and picked up the bowl of salad Alexi had mixed. He took it to the kitchen table. “I’ll attend your concerts.”

Alexi nodded taking the bowl of salad, he started scooping generous portions and serving them on the plates. Joshua started to move away but stopped when Alexi suddenly dropped the serving spoon on the table and shook his head.

“I don’t know if I can do this,” Alexi choked out.

Fear swept through Joshua at those words. He wasn’t ready to watch Alexi leave. He certainly couldn’t handle a breakup if Alexi even suggested it-, he shook his head.

“Alexi-

“I don’t know what’s worse. Having to live for days without you, then seeing you for a couple of hours. It’s going to kill me watching you leave me repeatedly. I can’t do it.”

“You have to.” Joshua insisted.

Alexi shook his head. “The pain will be too much, Josh. Maybe we’ll be better off just-

“Don’t say it,” Joshua cut in, his words came out quiet, forlorn: sadness dripping through like an overflowing dam. He turned away from Alexi afraid of breaking into tears. He wished he could turn back the clock to the moment he’d first walked in minutes ago. He was wrong; they didn’t need to talk about this, not when Alexi’s solution was to break up.

“I’m having moments lately when I wish your Dr. Marshall doesn’t succeed to get you better. At least then I know you would have to cancel the tour and stay here, with me.”

“Josh,” Alexi gasped behind him.

“That’s wrong. I know it is, because it makes me feel terrible every time I think about it.” A soft sigh escaped and he shook his head.

He moved to turn but Alexi wrapped his arms around him from behind. Joshua closed his eyes when Alexi pressed his face into his back.

“I’m sorry,” Alexi said into his shirt.

Joshua opened his eyes, his gaze dropping to Alexi’s hands on his stomach. He’d spent hours watching Alexi play piano. He covered Alexi’s hands with his own, thinking of how Alexi’s caresses drove him insane with need. He turned within Alexi’s embrace and pulled him into a tight hug. Breathing him in, loving the feel of him in his arms. He leaned down to take Alexi’s mouth in a kiss. They didn't need to talk.

He poured his desperation and fear into their kiss, taking everything from Alexi, holding him as if they were never going to be apart.

“Josh, dinner,” Alexi whispered when Joshua bunched Alexi’s t-shirt and jerked it off.

“It can wait.” Joshua muttered against his lips.

Alexi clung to his shoulders as they shuffled out of the kitchen. Their lips locked in a melding kiss, his hands fumbled on Alexi’s belt buckle, pulling it open with jerky motions. He groaned when Alexi ran his hands under his shirt, slender fingers scored his back, digging into his skin. He pushed Alexi against the wall in the hallway, and bit his bottom lip getting a needy moan in return. His hands pushing down Alexi’s trousers, he broke their kiss and trailed his mouth to Alexi’s bare shoulder. He savored Alexi's needy moan when he slid his hands over Alexi's ass kneading the firm globes. He used his hold to pull Alexi into him, grinding his hips against Alexi’s hardness.

Their breathing came in harsh gasps as they kissed passionately, Alexi’s fingers digging into his hair when he lifted him and carried him the few steps to the living room. Dropping Alexi on the couch, he reached for his own belt buckle only to have Alexi stop him.

He met Alexi's gaze as he felt Alexi undo the button on his trousers. Alexi ran a caressing hand over his hard bulge before pushing his pants down.

Joshua sunk his fingers into Alexi’s hair when Alexi wrapped a hot hand around his aching erection. He held his gasp when Alexi caressed him in slow, maddening, deliberate strokes that drove him to the brink. He closed his eyes when Alexi took him into his hot, silky mouth, a long groan escaped as sensations rocked through him. His cock hardened until he couldn’t hold his gasps, he glanced down and read the small triumph in Alexi’s eyes. He ruthlessly held his climax back until he couldn’t take the heat of Alexi's mouth on him anymore.

Dragging Alexi’s mouth off him, he leaned down and captured Alexi’s lips in a punishing kiss. His need roaring in his ears as he pushed Alexi back on the couch and trailed kisses down his chest, swirling his tongue on Alexi’s belly button until he reached Alexi’s hard cock. He gave Alexi a wicked grin before taking him into his mouth. Pleased when Alexi arched into his heat, he decided he was going to make sure Alexi didn’t doubt their relationship ever again.

****

Alexi lay on his side watching Joshua sleep on the living room carpet Sunday afternoon. They hadn’t moved from the living room much. He smiled remembering Joshua reheating the fish they’d forgotten on the plates at around two a.m. Saturday morning. They had spent the day watching old movies laid out on the couch.

Time seemed at a standstill. Neither of them had made the effort to move to the bedroom, or turn on more than the lamps in the corner when it had gotten dark. When they spoke, they carefully avoided topics to do with the future. They’d taken a long shower together last night and ordered food from an Italian restaurant nearby. Joshua had tied a towel around his hips to get the food from the delivery guy.

Alexi sat up and yawned, stretching his arms over his head. The sun spilled into the living room, the rays warm against his skin.

Joshua shifted and he propped his head on his arm when his blue eyes opened. He leaned and kissed Joshua on his forehead.

“Hi, sleepyhead,” Alexi said.

Joshua yawned and reached for him. He laughed when Joshua crashed him against his body. Arms tight around his bare back, Alexi shifted so that they lay pressed up against each other.

“This is good.” Joshua murmured into his ear. “I want to wake up this way every day.”

Alexi closed his eyes at the simple declaration and buried his face into Joshua’s shoulder.

****

Alexi walked into the Plaza Athenee on Monday evening carrying a white lily for his mother. He crossed the lobby his steps silent on the white tiles with black diamonds. He’d always liked the hotel’s warm décor. The arched doorways, gold chandeliers with white candle like lights made the Plaza Athenee feel a bit like a castle. He pressed the elevator button and stood studying the painted forest on the wall. A dirt path wound through the trees on the wall disappeared over the horizon. For the next few minutes his imagination went wild thinking what lay beyond that forest: an oasis filled with exotic creatures, and a house in the middle of the lake where he and Joshua could hide away forever. No cares, no responsibilities, no separation.

The elevator doors swung open, jerking him back to the present. He rode the elevator to the sixteenth floor and headed for the Thai suite as Lily had directed. He knocked on the door and a young woman answered. She smiled at him and stepped back to allow him in to the suite.

“Who is it?” his mother called from the living room. She appeared a few seconds later and gave an excited shout.

“Oh! My dear Alexander, how I’ve missed you,” she said rushing to hug him.

Allegra wrapped him in a cloud of white floral and peach. She held him tight, her hands rubbing his back, a familiar gesture meant to comfort. Allegra turned her head slightly and brushed the side of his head with a kiss.

“Hi Mum,” he said returning her hug. Her red floral dress whispered when she stepped back and he held out the lily to her. “For you,” he said with a wide smile.

She gasped and took the flower; she kissed his jaw and reached up to wipe traces of her lipstick from his skin. “Thank you, darling. Come,” she took his hand and led him into the living room, “have tea with me.”

“Where’s Dad?” he asked when they walked into a living area with dark hardwood floors, a carpet with burgundy red trimming and silk cream furniture.

Allegra led him to a couch and poured them tea. “Your father and Phillip were called away the moment they landed.” She glanced at her watch. “They should be back soon. Business takes precedence,” she said with a tight smile. “Enough of that though, tell me about you. How are you doing, Alexi?”

He took her left hand in his and instantly felt like pouring all his troubles to her. She squeezed his fingers, her eyes narrowed when he looked at her.

“What’s wrong?”

He shook his head and swallowed hard. “I’m just happy to see you. I’ve missed you too.”

“Getting ready for your tour?” she asked urging him to take his tea with a nod.

He reached for the cup she’d placed on a coaster and sipped the hot green tea. “Yes. Practicing my music every day,” he replied.

“The film score?” she asked.

“Finished,” he said putting his cup down on the table. “They’ll send me tickets for the premiere. Want to come with me?”

She nodded. “I’d love to.”

“What about you? How’s Dad and Phillip?”

Allegra grinned wide. “I have news. I’m sure Phillip will want to tell you himself, but I met his girlfriend. She’s a nice girl, very intelligent, not like the gold diggers he’s brought home before.”

Alexi laughed. “Mum, you think everyone we bring home is not good enough.”

“Yes, well, it’s because I love you.” Allegra shrugged. “I like Phillip’s Hikari. You’ll meet her when you get home. She comes over for dinner on weekends.”

He wondered if Allegra would react the same way to Joshua, if she’d look forward to having Joshua over for meals. How would Joshua react to his mother? She wasn’t easy to understand.

“Alexi,” Allegra patted his hand and he lifted his head to meet her concerned gaze. “What’s going on in that creative mind? Has Adrian been disturbing you?”

He shook his head with a small scoff. He hadn’t thought about Adrian since the day he’d seen him outside the studio. Adrian seemed a ghost past, funny how that worked. At the start of the summer, Adrian had taken up so much of his thoughts.

Allegra touched his jaw with the back of her hand. “You’re distracted.”

Taking a throw pillow, she arranged it on her lap and urged him to lay his head on the pillow. He moved down and did as she asked. She brushed cool fingers through his hair and he closed his eyes at the soothing caress.

“We did this when you were a boy,” she said after a while. “Do you remember your audition for your high school entry? You were so nervous I was worried you’d faint on stage.”

He remembered. His high school academy entry exam had felt like the end of life, he thought in amusement. “You told me that I was my own worst enemy.”

“You are,” she reiterated making him open his eyes to meet her gaze. “It’s the best quality about you Alexi, possibly also the worst.”

“Mum,” Alexi complained.

“It’s the truth.” Allegra ran her fingers through his hair again with a smile. “What are you worrying about? Does it have to do with the young man named Joshua?”

He blushed. He would have looked away but she stopped him by bunching his hair in her fingers.

“Tell me about him,” she said gently.

He sighed and shook his head, tangling her fingers in his hair. His thoughts filled with the weekend and hours spent in Joshua’s arms. “He’s…perfect.”

“Perfect,” Allegra said raising her right eyebrow.

“You’re giving me the look.”

“What look?”

“Lifting your right eyebrow at me, you think I’ve lost my mind.”

Allegra shook her head. “You have, honey. You’ve fallen in love. How serious is it?”

Alexi sighed and moved to sit up. She allowed him and he ran his fingers through his hair. “I can’t imagine living without him. I’ve even considered giving up my career for him more than once these last few weeks.”

“Very serious,” Allegra nodded in understanding. He sat back on the couch and waited. She shifted to face him and asked, “Can I meet him?”

“Are you going to give him the third degree like Nonna and Grandpa?”

She shrugged. “You’re my son; he should expect nothing less, Alexi.”

“He’s important.” Alexi pleaded meeting her gaze. “I need him.”

Allegra nodded and reached out to take his hand. The door opened and his father and brother walked in to the suite. Allegra squeezed his hand as they both stood.

“We’ll talk about this later,” she said quietly.

“Alexi,” Phillip greeted when he saw him. “You look well; New York has been good for you.”

Alexi grinned at his brother and turned to his father. He bowed respectfully. “Hello father,” he said in Japanese. “It’s good to see you again.”

“Alexi,” Hideki said coming to stand before him. “Your brother is right, you do look better than when I last saw you.”

Hideki pulled him into a warm short hug. As they pulled apart, Alexi laughed when Phillip locked an arm around his neck and ruffled his hair.

“You hair’s grown,” Phillip teased. “Don’t trust the hair salons in New York?”

“Not with an inch,” he declared punching Phillip’s shoulder lightly.

“Alright you two,” Allegra said accepting a kiss on her cheek from Hideki. “Time for dinner, we are going to celebrate. This is the first time we’ve been together since March this year.”

Hideki nodded and smiled at Alexi. “Yes, we should celebrate. Your mother insisted on this trip and wouldn’t take no for an answer. I’m glad she did.”

They moved toward the dining room and found the table set ready for dinner.

He forgot his worries for the next few hours. Dinner with his family was animated; Phillip regaled him with tales of family drama in the past few months. Visiting cousins, work mishaps, their parents arguing over investments and parties, his mother felt compelled to defend herself during those stories. His father insisted that there was no reasoning with her. He envied their unity. Despite their differences, his parents’ marriage was strong.

Alexi sat back in his seat wondering if he and Joshua could manage to be like his parents. Wishes aside, this dinner was definitely better than the last one they’d had together. His father, who sat beside him sipping wine, must have read his thoughts because he put a hand on his shoulder and squeezed. He turned to find his father smiling at him with approval.

“I’m glad you’re doing well, Alexi.” Hideki nodded to his mother. “She’s been worried.”

“Obsessed,” Phillip said with a laugh and mimicked their mother’s voice. “I wonder if Alexi’s eating right. Alexi hasn’t called; do you think something’s wrong?”

Allegra shook her head and winked at Alexi.

“We’ll all be glad to have you back in Japan,” Hideki said.

Alexi stared at his plate and wished for the same confidence. He’d have his family back in Japan, but his heart…, he met his mother’s gaze. Her smile disappeared as he held her gaze.

Dinner ended soon after. His father’s assistant called him away leaving them to talk in the living room. They chatted until ten o’clock in the night and then Allegra gave a little yawn.

“I’m tired,” she confessed. “I have an early meeting tomorrow at the Zantam offices. Your grandmother Marion insisted.”

Alexi stood and urged her up. “Go to bed, you need your beauty sleep.”

“What are you suggesting?” she asked in a teasing tone.

“That you’re lovely, and to keep looking that way, you need some sleep.” Alexi kissed her cheek and gave her a hug.

“We’re meeting for lunch tomorrow,” Allegra reminded him. “Will you bring Joshua with you?”

He nodded and stepped aside to allow Phillip to bid her goodnight. She kissed Phillip’s cheek.

“Don’t stay up too late, you two.” She bit back another yawn. “Goodnight, my darlings.”

“’Night, Mum,” they chorused and chuckled at the familiar habit.

“Want to go out for a few drinks?” Phillip asked.

“Yeah, my treat,” Alexi offered.

They ended up downstairs at the bar.

“I heard about Adrian,” Phillip said the moment they got their drinks. “Taka showed me the paperwork. Why didn’t you sign the restraining order?”

Alexi sighed. “He’s not worth the trouble. I’ve had a lot of time to think about him, Phillip. I’ve met someone else, and he’s taught me so much more about love than Adrian ever did. Wasting my time signing a restraining order makes him important. He’d have come looking for me just to make sure I knew it.”

“He deserved to pay for what he did to you.” Phillip tossed back his drink and got another. “I’m sorry you had to go through it all alone.”

“I had help.” Alexi smiled and shrugged. “I’m sure you know about Joshua Randolph.”

“Of course,” Phillip said with a laugh. “Mother watches us like a hawk. The moment they ran a background check, Dad and I got the memo. I hope he makes you happy, Alexi. If he’s another Adrian, I won’t stand for it.”

The bartender brought them two more drinks and Alexi tossed his back. He winced and shook his head. “So happy, it’s killing me.”

Phillip passed him his drink and motioned for another. “You look happier than you did a few months ago. How’s the music?”

Alexi smiled. “It’s back, can’t stop writing.”

“What about your anxiety? You have an ambitious tour ahead of you. Will you be able to manage?”

Alexi tossed another shot back and gave his brother a bitter grin. “We’ll just have to find out on Friday. Enough about me, tell me about you. How’s life as the Kotaru heir?”

Alexi listened to Phillip talk about their father’s expectations. He had never envied his brother’s position. Running Kotaru Industries wasn’t easy, there were traditional responsibilities forced upon Phillip daily. His brother carried all his constraints with such composure. He remembered what his mother had told him earlier in the evening.

“Mum told me about Hikari,” he said turning in his seat to look at Phillip. His brother would never introduce a woman to his mother without having thought seriously about her. “You’re going to marry her, aren’t you?”

Phillip chuckled. “I figured she wouldn’t keep it a secret. Yes, I’m marrying Hikari. I didn’t want to tell you before you met her.”

“She must be one tough woman.” Alexi sighed.

“Why do you say that?”

“She impressed our mother.”

“It was touch and go at the start,” Phillip confessed. “I wasn’t sure Hikari could handle her. Allegra is an acquired taste.”

“She almost had Adrian put in prison at the start of the summer.” Alexi dropped his gaze to his glass. “I almost let it happen too.”

“Alexi-

“You don’t have to tell me ‘I-told-you-so’.” Alexi cut him off. “I said it to myself for weeks before Josh pulled me out of my misery.”

“Did he now?”

“Yeah, he’s so good to me,” Alexi continued. “He’s so much stronger than I am. There are times I feel as though I can’t face my life without him. Do you feel like that about Hikari, Phillip?”

“Sometimes,” Phillip mused.

“I think you and Josh would will get along. Do you remember when you took me bungee jumping?”

Phillip laughed. “You turned into a chicken and refused to jump.”

“Josh forced me into a roller coaster this summer. It was so exhilarating I wondered why I hadn’t done it before. He called it scream therapy. Can you believe that?”

Phillip held up his glass for a toast and said, “Sounds like love, lil’ brother.”

Alexi realized he’d drunk more than planned when they finally got ready to leave. He stood from his stool and almost stumbled to the floor. Phillip pulled his arm over his shoulder and helped him out of the bar.

*****

Joshua paced the living room, his gaze on his cell phone. It was one o’clock in the night and there were no messages from Alexi. Lily had come in around nine. She’d gone straight to bed claiming exhaustion. He sighed and forced himself to be patient.

He knew how family dinners could be. Talking late into the night, maybe Alexi’s family had insisted he stay over at the Plaza. If that was the case, shouldn’t Alexi have called him?

Changing direction, he went to stare out the floor length windows wondering if he shouldn’t go out to look for Alexi.

The elevator doors opened and he whirled around relieved. He stopped short when he saw an unfamiliar man. He had short dark hair and was dressed in a light cream suit.

Joshua moved and gasped when he saw the figure slumped against the unfamiliar man.

“Alexi,” Joshua said. He rushed forward ready to take Alexi away from the stranger. “Who are you? What did you do to him?”

“Josh,” Alexi slurred. He lifted his head slightly and blinked. “There are two of you.”

“Are you drunk?” Joshua asked in shock. He tried to pull Alexi away from the stranger. Now that he was close, there was something familiar about him.

“I might have taken a few drinks. We were celebrating. This is my big brother, Phillip. Phillip, this is my Josh. Jeez, I’m so tired.” Alexi sighed and closed his eyes.

Alexi sagged and his brother held him tighter with a sigh. Alexi was out. He reeked of whiskey; Joshua couldn’t remember Alexi ever drinking excessively. Joshua gave the man supporting Alexi a short glance. What a way to meet Alexi’s family.

“We should probably get him on a bed.” Phillip grinned at him breaking the ice. “He’s out until tomorrow, believe me.”

Joshua nodded and helped Phillip take Alexi to their bedroom. He pulled back the covers on Alexi’s side and they lay him on the bed. Phillip pulled Alexi’s shoes off and pulled the covers over Alexi.

Joshua took a step back and watched Phillip study his brother for a moment before he leaned down and pressed a kiss on Alexi’s hair.

“Would you like some coffee?” Joshua asked when they left the bedroom.

“Coffee sounds good.” Phillip followed him into the kitchen and slid on to a stool at the island table. “So, you’re Josh?”

Joshua took a mug from the cupboard and reached for the coffee he’d brewed thirty minutes ago.

“I am,” Joshua replied sizing up Phillip. He was taller than Alexi, sharp features, strong jaw, his eyes more slanted than Alexi’s were. Dark brown eyes met his gaze and he added a keen intelligence to Phillip’s repertoire.

“How was your family dinner?” he asked taking the mug of coffee to Phillip. “Sugar, cream?” he asked.

“None,” Phillip answered. “Dinner was fine; it was nice to have the family together in one place. We all missed Alexi very much this summer.”

“I’m sure,” Joshua said leaning on the counter. He folded his arms against his chest.

Phillip sipped his coffee and studied him. “My brother cares a lot about you.”

Joshua thought about Alexi’s drunken introduction in the living room and felt his heart clench. Alexi had called him, ‘his Josh’.

“I care about him too.” Joshua told Phillip hoping his sincerity came through.

Phillip studied him for a moment, before he put his mug down. “I’m glad. I’ll be going now. I have a few appointments tomorrow. Take care of my brother.”

Joshua pushed off the counter and followed Phillip to the elevator. The doors opened and Phillip turned to give him a short bow. “Tell him to call me in the morning.”

Joshua watched the doors close with a sigh and switched off the lights

*****

2013 lilansui (suilanlee)
  • Like 24
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Their is so much love between these two as a result so much pain. They are slowly drawing to the day that Alexi must leave for Japan. both are strong men each in their own right they are successful and each has their life. Over the summer both have grown and strengthened together, they have blossomed. But now they they've come to a place where they have to separate. They will still be strong , not as strong as they are now together. And they will be that little bit weaker than they were separate, sorrow does that to a man. But do they have a choice. Alexi can stay give up his performing, teach and continue his writing, he would be with Josh but will losing the performing be the one thing that when he looks back at his life be the one thing that he will regret and wonder if it was worth it...Josh can do a sabbatical retain his job but do his research in Japan, but he would take the chance of losing Shane. He if would look back would he regret the chance of trying to have his son with him all the time so that he could go to Japan.

Their is a solution these men though separate they are meant to be together. Where there is a will there is a way. I know there is a way for them to be together and avoid the future what ifs...it just hasn't presented itself yet.

Great chapter and I can't wait til Alexis mother meets Josh.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/15/2013 08:36 AM, Daithi said:
Their is so much love between these two as a result so much pain. They are slowly drawing to the day that Alexi must leave for Japan. both are strong men each in their own right they are successful and each has their life. Over the summer both have grown and strengthened together, they have blossomed. But now they they've come to a place where they have to separate. They will still be strong , not as strong as they are now together. And they will be that little bit weaker than they were separate, sorrow does that to a man. But do they have a choice. Alexi can stay give up his performing, teach and continue his writing, he would be with Josh but will losing the performing be the one thing that when he looks back at his life be the one thing that he will regret and wonder if it was worth it...Josh can do a sabbatical retain his job but do his research in Japan, but he would take the chance of losing Shane. He if would look back would he regret the chance of trying to have his son with him all the time so that he could go to Japan.

Their is a solution these men though separate they are meant to be together. Where there is a will there is a way. I know there is a way for them to be together and avoid the future what ifs...it just hasn't presented itself yet.

Great chapter and I can't wait til Alexis mother meets Josh.

Your thoughts are so heartwarming. Alexi has certainly become stronger from having Joshua in his life. It's been quite a summer for him I think. Change is hard, you're right, they're both strong in their own way. Thank you so much for your lovely review. Made me smile. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

You're back, Sui! Finally! lol

 

I was thinking the same thing as Daithi; either Alexi gives up the tour and performing or Joshua takes a sabbatical, but then doesn't get to see Shane as much. And this is the worst timing - just when he is ABLE to see Shane more, how can he leave for Japan and give that up? But then again, how can he give Alexi up? It's a double-edged sword. I think Alexi might miss performing if he decides to stay (although his manager and Lily might kill him, lol), and then he might never beat his anxiety about being onstage. And of course they will both be thinking 'what if' no matter what they decide.

 

Alexi leaves next Friday. My middle son leaves for college for the first time next Friday. Well, I'll be driving him up, but still. I won't be crying as much as Alexi and Joshua (I'll cry for my Joshua when he goes back to school in September. lol), b/c of course a love for a child is so completely different than a love for a lover. But we'll all be crying together. Well, not my kid, he'll be too excited to start a brand new chapter in his life. =)

 

Great chapter, Sui! Can't wait for the next one!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/16/2013 06:47 AM, Lisa said:
You're back, Sui! Finally! lol

 

I was thinking the same thing as Daithi; either Alexi gives up the tour and performing or Joshua takes a sabbatical, but then doesn't get to see Shane as much. And this is the worst timing - just when he is ABLE to see Shane more, how can he leave for Japan and give that up? But then again, how can he give Alexi up? It's a double-edged sword. I think Alexi might miss performing if he decides to stay (although his manager and Lily might kill him, lol), and then he might never beat his anxiety about being onstage. And of course they will both be thinking 'what if' no matter what they decide.

 

Alexi leaves next Friday. My middle son leaves for college for the first time next Friday. Well, I'll be driving him up, but still. I won't be crying as much as Alexi and Joshua (I'll cry for my Joshua when he goes back to school in September. lol), b/c of course a love for a child is so completely different than a love for a lover. But we'll all be crying together. Well, not my kid, he'll be too excited to start a brand new chapter in his life. =)

 

Great chapter, Sui! Can't wait for the next one!

I'll cry for my Joshua when he goes back to school in September....Congrats to your Josh, I'm sure there's a lot of excitement for him, and sad moments for you. Congrats to you too, coz you've led him to this point in his life. Wow, :)

 

As for Alexi and Josh, theirs will be tough, its not easy to leave those you love behind. ^_^. Thank you, Lisa for a wonderful review and for the welcome back...:)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

So, we finally meet Alexi's family. They seem to be close, caring, and supportive.

That's a real plus, since I was worried they would be domineering and oppressive.

We'll see how they take to Josh. I think it'll go well. That is not the big worry; -it's

this looming separation. You have made it quite difficult for our lovers, and there

will be pain.

 

I am very curious to know how you'll work that out. I'll be watching and waiting...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/16/2013 11:00 PM, Stephen said:
So, we finally meet Alexi's family. They seem to be close, caring, and supportive.

That's a real plus, since I was worried they would be domineering and oppressive.

We'll see how they take to Josh. I think it'll go well. That is not the big worry; -it's

this looming separation. You have made it quite difficult for our lovers, and there

will be pain.

 

I am very curious to know how you'll work that out. I'll be watching and waiting...

The separation will be tough, I've worked up to it so hard, can't believe it's finally time. Thank you Stephen for reading and reviewing through it all. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I share the sentiments of the others, particularly Daithi. They are so strong together that they do not realize how strong they still are separately. I'm not worried about whether they CAN survive, however. I know that it is possible. The part that worries me the most is the silence of their avoidance. Separated you can survive to come back together if you both are certain that your life and work need to be in these two places, but only if you talk it through. One of the toughest lessons of life -- and one I'm still learning every day -- but one Alexi and Josh are starting to learn, even if their communication is less verbal than it probably should be. Still, like everyone else, I know my heart will cry when they do have to separate. I suspect I better be careful when I read the next chapter... :(

So, in the spirit of deep caring for these two very, very special characters, here's my scenario for how they can make it work. Josh gets a grant to do research in Japan, BUT instead of flying to meet Alexi on weekends, he flies regularly to spend time with Shane. I cannot imagine people that matter (i.e., not Sherry) will not see his commitment to Shane, especially those people who are used to traveling and know how "not fun" when you're not going on vacation ( and sometimes even when you are...). Plus, as much as I know that they can survive the separation, I really think that they need to be together more at least for the first part of the tour. Anyone else have a scenario that will let Alexi, Josh, and Shane walk the path that they must negotiate?

I want more. I want more... :worship:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/17/2013 10:28 PM, hillj69 said:
I share the sentiments of the others, particularly Daithi. They are so strong together that they do not realize how strong they still are separately. I'm not worried about whether they CAN survive, however. I know that it is possible. The part that worries me the most is the silence of their avoidance. Separated you can survive to come back together if you both are certain that your life and work need to be in these two places, but only if you talk it through. One of the toughest lessons of life -- and one I'm still learning every day -- but one Alexi and Josh are starting to learn, even if their communication is less verbal than it probably should be. Still, like everyone else, I know my heart will cry when they do have to separate. I suspect I better be careful when I read the next chapter... :(

So, in the spirit of deep caring for these two very, very special characters, here's my scenario for how they can make it work. Josh gets a grant to do research in Japan, BUT instead of flying to meet Alexi on weekends, he flies regularly to spend time with Shane. I cannot imagine people that matter (i.e., not Sherry) will not see his commitment to Shane, especially those people who are used to traveling and know how "not fun" when you're not going on vacation ( and sometimes even when you are...). Plus, as much as I know that they can survive the separation, I really think that they need to be together more at least for the first part of the tour. Anyone else have a scenario that will let Alexi, Josh, and Shane walk the path that they must negotiate?

I want more. I want more... :worship:

My dear John, :) that's so sweet...I've been writing the next chapter and dreading the separation myself. Your idea sparked a few thoughts for me...^_^ we'll see what happens.

 

You're right talking is always the solution, but words disappear when you're afraid of losing that one thing you care the most for. It's like a block, especially when you know the demands your own life forces on you, and you're not sure the person you love will understand those demands. I feel Alexi is having these kind of thoughts and feeling as though the life he lives might pull them apart. And Joshua, who believes he gave up on Shane, doesn't want to lose this opportunity to make up to him. He also knows that what they have together is unique and that he may never find that again. Their struggle to hold on despite their issues makes this story so beautiful to me.

 

You're right about travel, flight delays, luggage lost/misplaced, mean attendants, -funny when you care about the person you're going to see, it makes it all worth it.

Thank you so much for this thoughtful review. :) You're awesome.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

In my last review I said what the hell the two of them will talk about but now I really want them to talk about there relationship, their future. It won't be easy but well neither is love. They both have something to lose and something to gain, let's see what's in the store for the guys. I don't know what would happen now but as strong as their relationship is, I have full faith they will definitely make a way out of it. When Alexi talked about breakup, I was scared but Joshua handled the situation in the best way possible. The best part of the chapter was that kitchen scene. That whole scene has been created amazingly. I really loved it. I also liked Alexi's family.

With each passing chapter we are getting to know the depth of their relationship, how much they need each other. I hope they remain with each other forever. Can't wait for the next chapter, Sui. Please update soon. Take Care.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/24/2013 03:07 PM, sacredlove said:
In my last review I said what the hell the two of them will talk about but now I really want them to talk about there relationship, their future. It won't be easy but well neither is love. They both have something to lose and something to gain, let's see what's in the store for the guys. I don't know what would happen now but as strong as their relationship is, I have full faith they will definitely make a way out of it. When Alexi talked about breakup, I was scared but Joshua handled the situation in the best way possible. The best part of the chapter was that kitchen scene. That whole scene has been created amazingly. I really loved it. I also liked Alexi's family.

With each passing chapter we are getting to know the depth of their relationship, how much they need each other. I hope they remain with each other forever. Can't wait for the next chapter, Sui. Please update soon. Take Care.

Thanks Sacred, that kitchen scene is a favorite of mine too. I'm just about to post the next chapter, but I saw I hadn't replied to your review, sorry. ;( I'm sorry about that. Can't wait to see what you think of Chapter 23, loads of changes.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Can't believe I'd missed this great chapter. Oh well, just gave me two good reads. I feel so much for the boys, having to be seperated. Glad Joshua got to meet Phillip. At least, he knew that Alexi had talked about him favorably to his family. Love this story!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/19/2013 04:41 AM, joann414 said:
Can't believe I'd missed this great chapter. Oh well, just gave me two good reads. I feel so much for the boys, having to be seperated. Glad Joshua got to meet Phillip. At least, he knew that Alexi had talked about him favorably to his family. Love this story!
:) Thanks Joann, glad you love Josh and Alexi.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..