Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,661 Words
  • 780 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
As part of the Lost Souls Series and The Boot World readers may benefit from reading the other stories previously published, although it isn't necessary it could help you to enjoy this story more.
 

Goldstein, Johnson & Cole - 15. Chapter 15 Almost Home

My apologies for the delay in posting this chapter, being side-tracked and hitting a writers block has caused the delay but now this chapter is ready, I hope you all enjoy.
Now we find out what's been going on in the background and it's a lot, Ben's contacts have been hard at work. But - there is always a but - is it enough or is there more to do?

“If you had a choice what would you do?” Jacob asked.

“I'd stay in school and study but I can't, it's expensive to become a doctor. Maybe one day I can try again.” He felt Jacob's arms loosen and glanced at Joseph before looking up to meet Jacob's eyes. “Joseph is very lucky to have you all as family and friends, I hope he knows how lucky he is. He told me he is going to England to live with Ian and Kevin and be their brother, I'll... I'll miss him, in the short time I've known him I feel, I feel close to him. I wish I could go with him.”

“I wish you could come too.” Joseph whispered as he joined in the hug with Jacob and Benjamin.

*****

Isaac retrieved his briefcase from his car and took a seat at the dining table with Ben, Ian and Kevin.

“Lads I'm sure that you want to know how everything is progressing and you're probably wondering why Ben, my business partner and colleague, is with me today.” Isaac was flipping through the pages in the file he was holding as he spoke.

“Yeah we're eager to know, our flight is Wednesday. We need to know what to sort out when we get home and have some idea when we need to arrange our next rip out here.” Kevin couldn't hide the nervousness in his voice, he felt sure that there would be a lot to do.

“Kev, take it easy and give Isaac a chance to explain.” Ian gave Kevin's hand a reassuring squeeze.

“I'll try to be as brief as possible, but there is rather a lot to go through.” Isaac was in Lawyer mode as he reached in his case for a bulky legal folder. “After your meeting with Mark he naturally contacted me to discuss matters. You need to understand that when Manny passed away he had already started trying to make arrangements for Joseph to return to the UK with him, as it was those arrangements had to be delayed due to Joseph's health, that is why the trust fund and care arrangements were set up. As you know those that were entrusted with Joseph'e care took advantage of the trust fund, at least they did look after Joseph and took care of him properly. The funds were syphoned off in the last six months and came to light at the time of a scheduled audit. When this was discovered new arrangements were made with regard to Joseph's care, that is why he now resides with my family and I. The funds have now been repaid and those responsible have been dealt with.”

Isaac took a short break to help himself to a bottle of water before continuing. “It was at this point that it was decided to activate a codicil in Manny's will regarding the trust fund and place yourselves as the Governing Trustees, we also hoped that you would continue to make suitable provision for Joseph. That is when Mark contacted you to arrange a meeting. When Mark informed me that you wanted to take on the guardianship of Joseph I started to check what the necessary steps would be to make this happen.

“If you remember, at our first meeting I said that legal guardianship may be the easier and preferable option. That is in part due to the laws in both the UK and Israel regarding overseas adoption. I also had to consider the status of the only paperwork that I had available regarding Joseph's citizenship, this could have posed a huge and possibly insurmountable stumbling block.”

“Ar...ar...are y...y...you saying that everything has been for nothing, that Joseph can't come home with us. There must be something we can do, there must be.” Kevin was about to lose it, the only reason he remained seated was because Ian had his arms around him holding on tight.

“Kev you need to give them a chance to explain, let them finish.” Ian's underlying emotions showed in his voice.

“No Kevin, no, that's not what I'm saying.” Nodding to Ben Isaac asked, “Can you take it from here, just to make sure that there is no misunderstanding.”

“I think that's wise.” Taking the bulky folder from Isaac, Ben continued. “Ian, Kevin, I can definitely say that what has been said, and done, is not for nothing. When Isaac shared with me the challenges he was having I called in a favour from a contact of mine. As it turns out Manny's benevolence knows no bounds, there are a lot of people who have good memories of him and feel they are in his debt, if you can accept what I am about to tell you, then I have good news.”

Ben went on to explain that certain documents had 'been discovered', among them was a handwritten will of Emmanuel Joseph Goldstein that superseded the will executed by Mark Fellows back in the UK, rendering that will invalid. An authentic birth certificate for Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein, son of Emmanuel Joseph Goldstein and Miriam Goldstein. A death certificate for Miriam Goldstein, with cause of death being heart failure, dated one month before Manny died. A valid Israeli passport for Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein and documents granting full legal guardianship of Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein to Kevin Cole and Ian Johnson residing in Prestwich, Manchester, UK.

Ian and Kevin went through the full gamut of emotions that culminated in shock and surprise.

Ben slid the will across the table for them to see.

“Can you confirm for me that the handwritten will is in Emmanuel Goldstein's hand writing.” Ben asked.

Puzzled and curious to know how this impacted them, both Ian and Kevin nodded and answered, “Yes.”

“But....”

“Kevin, please do not ask questions that I cannot answer. Suffice to say, you have more friends than you realise, I have many friends and we have one friend in common, Manny. Manny had many many friends who would and still will do anything for him.” Ben smiled then addressed Isaac, “I think it is back to you now.”

“Thank you Ben, I appreciate all of the help and assistance that you have given.” Isaac then faced Ian and Kevin. “I'm sure you want to know what all of this means, so let me explain. The new will is valid, Mark has a copy in the UK and is currently taking all legal steps for it to be recognised. The first difference between the two wills is that under the new will Joseph has been left twenty five thousand pounds in a trust fund until his twenty first birthday, both of you and Mark are the trustees. On your return to the UK you will need to transfer that amount plus any accrued interest to the account that Mark is currently setting up. Speak to your accountants with regard to any tax implications in the UK as you may be entitled to a refund if you have paid excess tax as a result.

“The second is that the ten percent partnership in the business that Manny owned at the time of his death has also been left to Joseph. Again you will need to rectify that on your return to the UK, I suggest that you take that up with your accountant regarding any possible tax implications.

“The third and last difference is that as Manny and Miriam have no surviving relatives, except for Joseph, you are appointed as joint legal guardians of Joseph. If you check these documents you will see that there are two sets of guardianship papers, one is written up under Israeli law, the other complimentary set is written up under British law, both are legally valid and come into effect the moment you both sign them.”

Kevin sat with his mouth opening and closing like a goldfish, he was speechless.

“Does this mean we can take Joseph home with us, and if so what does this mean for Joseph as he isn't a UK citizen or have a UK passport?” Ian was concerned for Joseph's citizenship status.

“Yes you can take Joseph home with you at any time you choose, there is no need to delay taking him home. He can travel using his Israeli passport and does not need a visa, he may need to go through immigration control but the documents you have should ensure entry without any problems. As Manny was a UK citizen, which is recognised on Joseph's birth certificate, Joseph is entitled to a UK passport and therefore has dual nationality. I suggest that as soon as you return home you apply for his UK passport and instruct Mark to take the necessary steps to establish full UK citizenship and rescind Joseph's claim to Israeli citizenship and passport. That last part is important, if Joseph retains his Israeli citizenship he can be called up into the Israeli armed forces.”

Kevin was just getting over the shock. “So if I get him a plane ticket he can come with us this coming Wednesday?”

“Yes. But I suggest you speak to Joseph before you buy him a plane ticket.”

Isaac passed them the guardianship documents for them to sign. With signatures in place Ben signed as a witness and suggested that Jacob sign as the second witness.

The sound of yapping pups and young boys laughter warned them of the returning beach walkers. Aaron and Asher with Jed and Zac yapping at their heels were first through the door, Shamira and Ariel followed close behind, Jacob was the last to enter after allowing Joseph and Benjamin to go before him.

Joseph held Benjamin's hand tight as they stood in front of Ian and Kevin, the pleading look on both faces said everything as Joseph uttered one word, “Please.”

Kevin turned to Ben and Isaac, he didn't need to ask.

Picking up his phone Ben said, “I'll make a call.”

What more can Ben's contacts do now? Is it too much? Maybe we will find out in the next chapter, what we do know is that Joseph and Benjamin have made a connection. Is Joseph's future in the Uk or Israel? We may find out in the next chapter.
The next chapter is the last in this story, but remember there are still many stories to be told.
I really do appreciate all reactions and comments, if you leave a comment I promise that it will be read and acknowledged so please leave a comment to let me know what you think.
I have written this without the aid of an editor or bets reader so any errors are all mine, if you spot any let me know and I'll try to correct them.
Copyright © 2022 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Fingers Crossed 3
I love to see what readers feel by the reactions that they leave so please hit that button to leave your initial reaction.
What I enjoy more than reactions is to read any comments that readers care to leave. Promise to read and acknowledge 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

"Please". Damn those allergies suddenly flared up again @Mancunian.

It certainly pays to have "friends in high places". I just hope that there will be no repercussions for Joseph, Ian, Kevin or Isaac in the future regarding the forged documents. It will be interesting (to say the least) what story Ben's contacts are able to concoct for Benjamin which will allow him to migrate to the UK too.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

"Please". Damn those allergies suddenly flared up again @Mancunian.

It certainly pays to have "friends in high places". I just hope that there will be no repercussions for Joseph, Ian, Kevin or Isaac in the future regarding the forged documents. It will be interesting (to say the least) what story Ben's contacts are able to concoct for Benjamin which will allow him to migrate to the UK too.

To quote what I was told when I asked those same questions, "If I told you I may have to kill you to prevent it from getting out", for that reason :X :X :X

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..