Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,350 Words
  • 714 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
As part of the Lost Souls Series and The Boot World readers may benefit from reading the other stories previously published, although it isn't necessary it could help you to enjoy this story more.
 

Goldstein, Johnson & Cole - 5. Chapter 5 Meeting Joseph

The journey is over, Ian and Kevin arrive in Israel and meet Joseph. I hope it goes well.
Can I suggest that you keep some tissues handy.

At 3:30am when Steve dropped them of at Terminal 1, saying their goodbyes they entered departures and went to the Lufthansa desk. After checking in their suitcases and being given boarding passes they were directed to the express security gate. First stop after passing through security was to get more coffee and find comfortable seats in the business class lounge while waiting to board their flight. After a brief stopover in Berlin they would reach Tel-Aviv late in the afternoon if there were no delays. Eventually they were called to the boarding gate and were among the first to board.


 

*****

The flight from Manchester to Munich had departed and landed on time, the two hour stopover in Munich had been extended to three hours due to delays loading luggage. Then the flight was queued over Tel Aviv for thirty minutes before landing. Both flights had been comfortable with attentive cabin crew giving good service and serving better quality food than they had experienced before. Security at Ben Gurion was strict but efficient and they were swiftly through collecting luggage before meeting Isaac who was patiently waiting for them.

Sat on the back seat of Isaac Lehrer's Mercedes Ian and Kevin were finally on the last leg of their journey, they would reach Isaac's home in about 40 minutes by taking Route 1 which is the fastest route. Ian was engaged in light conversation with their host as Kevin checked his watch and advanced it by two hours, it was almost 8:00pm local time.

As they neared their destination - Beit Zayit - they left Route 1 taking Route 3965 then Route 395. Here the landscape started to change as it became less arid with more frequent clumps of trees and larger patches of grassland. When they entered Beit Zayit Isaac explained that the original village no longer existed, it was now being developed into one of the newer suburbs of Jerusalem. Very few of the buildings in the neighbourhood were more that twenty years old, most had been built in the last ten years which included his house. There were signs of more development on some plots, others had been sectioned off for future development.

Isaac announced their arrival at his home as he turned onto the driveway of a large house on Derekh Brekhot ha-Ya'ar and parked in the open garage. With the garage door automatically securing behind them they entered the house through a connecting door.

As they entered the house through an ante-room Isaac encouraged them to remove their shoes and wear comfortable slippers provided for them. The welcoming aroma emanating from the kitchen was nothing compared to the sight of the beautiful smiling woman descending the stairs.

“Shalom Aleichem.” Shamira greeted them.

“Aleichem Shalom.” Ian and Kevin returned the greeting.

“Erev tov Shamira, may I introduce our guests and hopefully Joseph's future guardians.” Pointing to Ian and Kevin in turn, “this is Mr Ian Johnson and Mr Kevin Cole.”

“Erev tov, Mr Johnson, Mr Cole, welcome to our home.”

“Ian and Kevin may I introduce my wife Mrs Shamira Lehrer.”

“Erev tov Mrs Lehrer, thank you for welcoming us into your home and allowing us to stay.” Ian and Kevin returned. There was no physical contact as that would be considered impolite.

Formalities now over Shamira addressed her husband, “Isaac you must be tired after a hard day, why don't you go change and get refreshed. I'll look after our guests until your return.”

“Thank you, I'll do just that.” turning to Ian and Kevin, “gentlemen please excuse me while I freshen up, Shamira will show you to your room and I'll see you shortly.” Isaac then left to freshen up.

“Ian, Kevin due to the late hour our boys, Aaron and Asher, are in bed so I'll give you the full tour tomorrow. The room to your right is the lounge where we will meet you after you settle in, if you will please follow me I'll show you to your room.”

Shamira led them to a large room on the top level of the three story house. “This is your room, you have seating in the room and on the balcony for your comfort. Here is the en-suite to ensure your privacy, the closet over there is for your clothes. Please join us in the lounge when you have made yourselves comfortable, we will be dressed casually. Then we will introduce you to Joseph before we all sit down to eat, I have prepared a light meal for tonight that I hope you will enjoy.”

When Shamira left to finish preparing the meal, Ian started unpacking while Kevin showered. After switching places and now dressed casually, the lads made their way to the lounge.

As they entered the lounge Isaac rose from a sofa to greet them, a boy rose with him almost as if he was attached. One look at his face and the glimpse they had of his eyes told them that he was shy and very nervous, possibly afraid.

Directing his attention to the boy Isaac spoke gently, “Joseph I know you are nervous but I also know that you are a very brave boy, can you be brave for me now please?” The boy nodded silently and took a half step sideways from Issac. “Joseph these gentlemen are Ian Johnson and Kevin Cole, they have come a very long way to meet you, they are good men. They were very good friends of your Papa Emmanuel, in many ways Emmanuel was like a father to them. Would you like to say hello to them and welcome them into our home?”

Joseph now looked at them in awe as tears formed in his eyes. “You...you...you knew him, Avi Emmanuel? You are brothers? My Avi Emmanuel was...was your Avi? Welcome, welcome to our home, please eat and drink with us, make this your home too.”

“Avi is Hebrew for Father, Dad or Papa.” Isaac explained proudly as he watched this first meeting.

Kevin became emotional and was surprised at the sudden change in Joseph and the emotion in his voice.

On one knee Ian was at Joseph's level, through his own tear filled eyes he answered him. “Yes we knew your Papa Emmanuel, we knew him very well. To us he was Manny, he was a very close and dear friend of ours. We cannot claim him to be our father, but he was to us the same as was to you, he was like a father, a man who we owe so much to and was like family to us.” Ian paused and glanced at Isaac who nodded. “We are not brothers, we are life partners, a couple, Manny knew and gave us his blessing, he accepted us as family.”

“You...you are very lucky, when it was discovered I like boys I was beaten and broken then left at the roadside to die. That was when Papa Emmanuel found me and had me made well again. Now he is gone. I have no one. I have no family.” Joseph's voice wavered as his jaw shook while speaking, his whole body shook as he cried and turned his face to the floor.

Kevin knelt next to Ian. His voice wavering, “Joseph, Joseph will you look at me please.”

Joseph looked up, his jet black hair was neatly combed, but his face was a mess. Tears flowed like a waterfall from dark brown - now puffy – eyes and covered his olive coloured cheeks. He is a beautiful boy who will break hearts as he grows.

“We would be honoured to be your family, if you will have us, we would love it if you would be our little brother.” Kevin placed one arm around Ian's shoulders and held out the other, Ian mirrored the gesture as an excited tearful boy ran to them, holding them in a vice-like grip.

“Do you mean it? You would be my Ahkh? My brothers?”

“Yes,” was whispered in to each of Joseph'e ears as the grip was tightened.

Shalom Aleichem, meaning peace be upon you, is a traditional Hebrew greeting, Aleichem Shalom is the traditional response.
Erev tov is Hebrew for good evening. I think the other translations are explained in the story.
So, this looks like the start of the real battle to bring Joseph home, what do you think?
All reactions are appreciated so thank you in advance, but please leave a comment too I'd love to know what you think. I promise that all comments will be read and acknowledged.
I have written this without the aid of an editor or beta reader, if there are any errors they are all mine, if you spot any let me know and I'll try to put them right.
Copyright © 2022 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 7
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 1
I love to see what readers feel by the reactions that they leave so please hit that button to leave your initial reaction.
What I enjoy more than reactions is to read any comments that readers care to leave. Promise to read and acknowledge 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A lovely first meeting with Joseph.  He is charming and it is no wonder that Manny wanted to bring him to the UK.  I hope it will be easy for Kevin and Ian to adopt him.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, raven1 said:

A lovely first meeting with Joseph.  He is charming and it is no wonder that Manny wanted to bring him to the UK.  I hope it will be easy for Kevin and Ian to adopt him.

I can only describe Jacob a delightful lad, he loves easily and is very loyal to those he loves, surprising really when I know what he's gone through. I've still got my fingers crossed for the lads, it's going to take a lot to achieve their goals.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I assume it was Joseph's birth family who beat him and left him on the roadside to die. I cannot say I am at all surprised. It was fortunate for him he was rescued by a Jewish man capable of independent thinking, not one beholden to ancient story books purporting to know "the truth". Now I understand why Manny was motivated to adopt Joseph and bring him to the UK.

Very well written chapter @Mancunian, one which enraged me, fuelling my abhorrence of the evils of organised religion, of which there are many. Thankfully Manny's observance of his religion did not cloud his mind such that he lost his humanity and any sense of reality as is so often the case.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 1
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

I assume it was Joseph's birth family who beat him and left him on the roadside to die. I cannot say I am at all surprised. It was fortunate for him he was rescued by a Jewish man capable of independent thinking, not one beholden to ancient story books purporting to know "the truth". Now I understand why Manny was motivated to adopt Joseph and bring him to the UK.

Very well written chapter @Mancunian, one which enraged me, fuelling my abhorrence of the evils of organised religion, of which there are many. Thankfully Manny's observance of his religion did not cloud his mind such that he lost his humanity and any sense of reality as is so often the case.

You assume correctly that it was Joseph's family that treated him badly, he is yet to discover how fortunate he is to be rescued by Manny. While Manny was of the Jewish faith and honoured most of the tenets of the faith he could never accept all of its teachings. He concentrated on the teachings that tell of love and acceptance and lived his life accordingly, in what he considered an honourable way.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..