Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 2,250 Words
  • 881 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
As part of the Lost Souls Series and The Boot World readers may benefit from reading the other stories previously published, although it isn't necessary it could help you to enjoy this story more.
 

Goldstein, Johnson & Cole - 2. Chapter 2 Reminiscing Part 2

There is still a degree of reminiscing but we are also entering more of Ian and Kevin's present day.
There may be a need for a tissue or two so keep them handy just in case.
There is no graphic content, only mild sex references.

“I know what you mean Kev but unfortunately we can't always have what we want. This is a chance to start a new chapter in our lives. We need to start planning for a house warming party, I was thinking about a barbecue at the weekend if this good weather holds up, what do you think?”

“Yeah let's go for it and if the weather does take a turn for the worse, like a typical British summer, we can use the electric griddle and bring it indoors.”

*****

As Kevin lay on the sofa with his head in Ian's lap his eyes slowly closed, with thoughts of thoughts of the up-coming barbecue he drifted off into a dream laden state subconsciously planning.

Ian continued to gaze at the TV as tears came to his eyes. His attempt to shift the conversation away from the emotional roller coaster of the last twelve years had worked on Kevin, but again it felt so raw for him. He had always been the strong one and emotionally carried Kevin through the hard times. When his family turned against him after Peter had caught them in bed on Kevin's birthday. Every time Peter or his dad ridiculed him and beat him for being gay. When their landlord had them beaten and thrown on to the streets with nothing but what they wore at the time and what was in their pockets, and many more times that were just painful to remember. Now he felt like there roles had reversed and Kevin was the strong one.

They had come a long way with the help of Pop, Christian and the friends they made from The Boot, not to mention the support of Manny who was his mentor throughout his apprenticeship and become another father figure to him in the same way as Pop had become. Manny had supported him in so many ways that he couldn't put it into words. Then the faith that he placed in him and Kevin by taking them on as a partners was more than he had any right to expect or ask for. He still felt the loss from Manny's passing, he still felt guilty knowing that Manny had passed away on his own so far away.

Two years had passed since then but the pain and sorrow was felt as though it had been more recent. Manny had planned his extended trip to visit his spiritual homeland of Israel and looked forward to visiting Jerusalem, Bethlehem and other locations visited by Jesus in his lifetime.

Two days before he was due to return home Manny had made the last of many phone calls to the boys excitedly letting them know where he had been and what he had seen and experienced, he was looking forward his journey home to share the many photo's that he had taken and to give a better account of his journey through the Holy Land and some special news that he was keeping secret. That night he passed away peacefully in his sleep, being found by the hotel staff when entered his room give it the usual daily clean.

Both of them were upset at Manny's passing but understandably Ian had taken it particularly bad. After bequests to the charities that Manny supported the remainder of Manny's estate passed to Ian and Kevin. This meant that they were in a financially comfortable position and as the surviving partners Goldstein, Johnson and Cole Jewellers was totally in their ownership. Without argument they agreed that as a mark of respect there would be no name change to the business.

On one wall in what was Manny's, but now Ian's, office there were framed copies of all the certificates showing both Ian's and Kevin's accomplishments. There was even a shelf that contained the first piece of every type of jewellery ever made by Manny, beneath that Manny had placed a duplicate shelf to contain Ian's 'firsts'. This included the first silver boot, and the laminated designs, that were produced for The Boot.


 

The following morning Ian and Kevin woke up on the sofa in the same position they had fallen asleep.

“I can't believe that you left us like that, why didn't you wake me up so we could go to bed?” Kevin stretched and yawned on his way to the kitchen, coffee was needed.

“Sorry hun, I must have got lost in my thoughts, and, well you know me I just zonked out.” Due to sleeping in an unnatural position Ian took a little longer to stand and stretch out his aching body, then he followed the smell of fresh coffee brewing.

Kevin turned and planted a kiss on his lovers lips, “Ugh, morning breath, I think we need to have this coffee then get cleaned up. You said that the solicitor wanted to see you so you better call him later, with Sean looking after the shops this week it's as good a time as any.”

“Yeah I'll call him after having a shower but it he wants to see both of us not just me. He said it had something to do with Manny but after all this time I've no idea what it could be.” With that he took the offered coffee smelled the welcoming aroma and sipped, “Aahhh, that's soooo gooood.”

“Hey no falling in love with the coffee I want you to hurry up, I'm looking forward to trying out that huge shower cubicle in our new bathroom.” Kevin's seductive tone as he wiggled his eyebrows left no doubts about what was on his mind.

“You Mr Cole are a fiend, a sex fiend, a demanding sex fiend.”

“That is correct, but I'm your sex fiend Mr Johnson.”

The next half an hour had more than a few loud noises coming from the bathroom, they went something like – 'aaagh that is ssooo goood' – 'oohhh more pleeeeease' – 'yes that's soo hot' – 'give it to me, harder, yes harder, oohhh god.'


 

An hour and a half later after a refreshing and relaxing, if that's the right way to put it, shower Ian and Kevin had dressed and were sitting in the kitchen with more coffee. Ian, who had just hung up after calling the solicitor, was sat with a puzzled expression looking at his coffee mug.

“Well what was all that about? You didn't exactly give much away from your end of the conversation, most of it sounded more like a poor Elvis Presley impression to me, 'ughu, ughu,' so come on spill the beans and whats with inviting him to the barbecue?.”

“To be honest I don't really know, he wouldn't go into any detail. He just said that something had cropped up regarding one of the charitable trust funds that was set up after Manny died and it needed our attention and signatures before anything could be done. He wouldn't say any more than that, just said it was complicated and really needed a more relaxed face to face meeting to explain and so we would understand properly. I just thought that the barbecue would be as relaxed as we can get, if we get it out of the way early enough it shouldn't interfere with it and we can all enjoy ourselves afterward, is that okay?”

“Intriguing, but yeah that should be okay. Now let's crack on with getting this house in order and organizing the barbecue, we're due at the Old Shoe Factory tonight. Remember we said we'd cover for Andy, he's got a hot date with Christian.”

The rest of the day passed fairly quickly as the house was put into order with finishing touches and the barbecue was arranged and food ordered for that approaching Saturday. Out of respect for Manny, Ian and Kevin had maintained the tradition of being closed Saturday's as that was the Jewish day of rest, not being Jewish themselves they treated it as a normal day in all other ways. An uneventful night shift at the Old Shoe Factory was preceded by a short nap and light snack.


 

Saturday morning soon came, Ian was busy making marinades for steaks and chicken fillets, sausages and burgers were ready and in separate containers in the fridge. Kevin was preparing various salads and making sure that a selection of beer and wine, including non alcoholic varieties, and soft drinks were chilled.

Kate, Steve, their boys and Jason had arrived early to set up the garden furniture, most of which was borrowed from guests. Steve made sure that the barbecue was set up ready to light with plenty of spare lump-wood charcoal for when it was needed.

At one o'clock Mark Fellows, their solicitor, and his wife Laura arrived. Ian and Kevin took Mark into the study for their planned meeting. Kate soon enlisted Laura's help to finish preparing the food while Steve fired up the barbecue ready for the remaining guests, including all the staff from both shops, who would start arriving in about an hour.

The meeting in the study was progressing but it was one that brought some disturbing news.

“So if I understand correctly what you are telling us is that Manny had set up a trust to look after this boy that he rescued and the people that were supposed to look after him have squandered the money leaving it bankrupt with no way to recover the money!” It was clear that Ian was no happy bunny, Kevin was just as annoyed.

“Unfortunately that is the bare facts of the matter. As Manny listed you both as his next of kin and the main beneficiaries of his will I thought you should be made aware. There is another more serious aspect to this though. Manny had legally assumed guardianship of the boy and placed him in temporary custody of these people believing them to be good honest people. Now that this has been discovered it leaves him in a very vulnerable position with no guardian.”

“What do you mean, he's just a boy and should be looked after as Manny intended. What do you mean that he's vulnerable?” Kevin was red in the face and getting more angry, not at the solicitor, but at the situation as a whole.

“First let me make this clear, I'm not sure that legally I should be informing you of what as happened as there are no instructions on what should be done in these circumstances, but no one could have foreseen what's happened. Second you are not obliged or legally required to do anything. But I felt morally obliged to Manny and both of you to let you know. If you would like me to I can look into things and see if it's at all possible for you to continue what Manny started. Otherwise he would either end up in the Israeli system, which for him wouldn't be good or,” Mark swallowed as he paused, “he will end up on the streets.”

“What do you mean the Israeli system wouldn't be good for him and why could he end up on the street?” Kevin was shaking with anger.

Ian wrapped his arms around Kevin to try to calm him down. “Kevin please calm down it's not Mark's fault, please don't shoot the messenger. Let's just hear what else he can tell us.” Ian's tears were streaming like a waterfall.

“I know your right Ian but it's not easy. I remember our last conversation with Manny and he was excited about something, he wouldn't tell us on the phone so it's my guess that this is what he wanted to tell us when he come home.” Kevin calmed down a little and addressed Mark. “Okay what else can you tell us? Why wouldn't things be good for this boy and what's his name? We can't keep calling him Boy that's disrespectful. Do you know what Manny's long term plans were for him?”

“I'll try to answer all of your questions. Things wouldn't be good for him because he's not an Israeli national, he's Palestinian, a refugee of the conflict out there, but doesn't have any paperwork to prove it so he'd just be considered a transient refugee. From speaking to the Israeli solicitor I think, but I can't be sure, that Manny wanted to bring him to the UK. And finally Manny did 'obtain,' and I use that word advisedly, 'legitimate' paperwork he was given the name Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein, he is now twelve years old. Before you say anything please try be calm and rational and think about things.” Mark looked at them with a tear and hope in his eyes.

“I don't need to calm down nor do I need time to think.” Kevin looked at Ian as if telepathically sending him a message. “What do you think love?”

Ian couldn't speak, he just nodded.

“Mark you knew Manny well, as well or better than us, I,” Kevin smiled at Ian. “No, I mean we, believe that Manny intended to bring him home. So can you make arrangements for him to be properly looked after in the short term?”

“The solicitor over there is my brother-in-law, he will look after him.” For the first time since arriving Mark was smiling.

“Good, then we want you and your brother-in-law to make all of the arrangements we will cover all of the costs. We will be his guardians, our instructions are simple. Bring Joseph home.”

I hope you have all enjoyed this chapter, there has been a bit more reminiscing but it's also brought more into Ian and Kevin's present day. With the glimpse into possible future events it looks like the guys are going to be very busy, I wonder how their friends will take the news?
Come on guys tell me what you think your reactions and comments are important.
I have written this without an editor or beta reader which is my choice so any errors are entirely my own, if you sort any let me know and I'll try to correct them.
Copyright © 2022 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 10
I love to see what readers feel by the reactions that they leave so please hit that button to leave your initial reaction.
What I enjoy more than reactions is to read any comments that readers care to leave. Promise to read and acknowledge 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I love this twist to the story.  Ian and Kevin feel indebted to Manny for all the things he did for them.  However, their quick decision wasn't based on that, I'm sure.  They are responsible good people that just want to help a child in distress.  I know that they will make great dads and give the boy a wonderful home and family.  

  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, raven1 said:

I love this twist to the story.  Ian and Kevin feel indebted to Manny for all the things he did for them.  However, their quick decision wasn't based on that, I'm sure.  They are responsible good people that just want to help a child in distress.  I know that they will make great dads and give the boy a wonderful home and family.  

I hope that like me you have your fingers crossed for them in their endeavour to help Joseph. 🤞

Edited by Mancunian
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Damn @Mancunian. I don't even like children, but my allergies are playing up again. In all seriousness, although I do not generally like children, I hate those who abuse or abandon them, for much like non-human animals, they have little chance of fending for themselves in circumstances such as Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein finds himself.

It appears Manny was to the very end a man of extraordinary generosity and compassion. He is rightfully still held in very high esteem by Ian and Kevin. I am very pleased Ian and Kevin chose to honour him by retaining his name in the name of the business. 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 1
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

Damn @Mancunian. I don't even like children, but my allergies are playing up again. In all seriousness, although I do not generally like children, I hate those who abuse or abandon them, for much like non-human animals, they have little chance of fending for themselves in circumstances such as Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein finds himself.

It appears Manny was to the very end a man of extraordinary generosity and compassion. He is rightfully still held in very high esteem by Ian and Kevin. I am very pleased Ian and Kevin chose to honour him by retaining his name in the name of the business. 

Manny, like The Major, took to Ian and Kevin and had a special place for them in his heart, they were like the family he never had. Ian and Kevin's love and respect for Manny equalled their feelings for The Major and he became a second father figure to them. This made their decision an easy one to make, if it was important to Manny, it was important to them.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..