Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,151 Words
  • 672 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
As part of the Lost Souls Series and The Boot World readers may benefit from reading the other stories previously published, although it isn't necessary it could help you to enjoy this story more.
 

Goldstein, Johnson & Cole - 4. Chapter 4 Preparations

Nothing comes easy, nor is life as straight forward as we would like it to be. And what is The Major and Marty up to? I guess we will have read on to find out.

Travel arrangements and accommodation in Jerusalem were made with assistance from Mark and his brother-in-law who would meet them, they would stay with his family and meet Joseph.

At the same time Marty and The Major made their arrangements with their 'contacts' and made arrangements to meet, a few of them were in the area and had the task of discreetly keeping 'a special eye' on two visitors.


 

*****

It was early evening three weeks later as Marty and The Major were enjoying pre-meal drinks in The Grenadiers Arms that two men entered and approached them. Nothing about them attracted attention from other customers but to the trained eye they gave off the air of a military background, that was given away by the way they held themselves as they walked, the slight limp of the shorter man was almost unnoticeable.

The Major stood and smiling he held out his hand, “good evening Captain, Lieutenant. Please take a seat.”

The shorter man addressed them, “good evening Major, Captain.” The men sat as the formal greetings ended.

“Okay lads now we've got that out of the way let's drop the formalities we all know each other, let's have a fresh round of drinks before we eat. The same for you Alex?” The Major nodded, “and for you lads?” Marty stood with the empty glasses in his hand.

“We'll have shandy's please Marty, it's better to keep a clear head in our business,” Drew, the shorter man replied. “Do you need a hand... shit sorry that's a poor choice of words, I mean, can I help you?”

“Don't worry about it,” Marty wasn't offended, “ and yes please, a full pair of hands will carry the drinks better than my one.” Marty's face lit up with a smile.


 

After a very enjoyable meal of fresh sea bass, vegetables and sautéed potatoes followed by lemon sorbet, the men 'got down' to business.

Aiden, the taller man, started the conversation. “So guys, I understand that you need a bit of assistance.”

“Well, it's more like advice at the moment but some assistance may be needed down the line. I'll Let Alex explain, it's his boys that may need some help.”

The Major cleared his throat and began. After giving the men some background information about 'his boys' he went on to explain the current situation regarding Ian, Kevin and Joseph and asked if there was any possibility they could help.

“It's possible that you may not really need much help, if any, but a low level of personal security wouldn't do any harm. That's for the lads on any visits and Joseph while he remains in Israel. That's more Aiden's side of the business than mine so I'll let him assess and advise, he will need up to date photographs or to meet the people to provide cover.” Drew looked thoughtful. “If there are any problems regarding paperwork and documents then I can look into it and probably deal with that. I'd really need to know and see what they have, then I can assess properly what can and needs to be done.”

“I can introduce you to Ian and Kevin but Joseph is in Israel as are his documents, so a photo and copies is the best I can do there.” The Major felt uncomfortable as he continued. “But my finan....”

“Don't worry about finances Alex.” Aiden butted in. “You are family and this is for your family, so it's covered in full, consider it us repaying our debt to you.”

Hearing this The Major became emotional.

The conversation continued until late in the evening, information was passed and arrangements made. The only details left was confirmation of travel and accommodation that would be given in due course.


 

*****

Kevin soon discovered that arranging flights to Israel was the easy task and round trip flights from Manchester to Ben Gurion airport in Tel Aviv had been booked with Lufthansa. Both out bound and return flights involved a brief stopover in Munich, the only available tickets were in business class but were booked regardless of cost. Isaac Lehrer, Mark's brother-in-law would meet them at Ben Gurion airport and take them to his home on the outskirts of Jerusalem, where they would be staying and Joseph was now living.

Ian gave a lot of his time at work to making sure that Sean was ready to look after the shops while they were away. Before Ian and Kevin were ready to depart Sean was running the business and giving daily performance reports that proved his value to the business.

The much harder task was researching overseas adoption and legal guardianship processes. It was very long winded and complex and either way bringing Joseph to the UK meant that they needed to be approved by their local authority. They also needed to be approved by the authorities in Israel and be granted legal guardianship or allowed to adopt according to to Israeli law. All of this meant that it could be a long and expensive process.

As daunting as it seemed Ian and Kevin had taken the initial steps to register as foster/adoptive parents with their local authority. The forms were lengthy and asked a lot of personal questions about their background and current personal circumstances. After completing the forms and an initial interview they had passed stage one. Now numerous personal references, medical reports and a full criminal background check were required before going on to the next stage.

The next stage is to attend a 'training course' that is required for all prospective foster/adoptive parents followed by a final assessment. In the mean time they had to go to Israel to meet Joseph who is now living with Isaac and Shamira Lehrer and their twin boys.

2am on departure day saw Ian and Kevin dragging themselves sleepily out of bed, they had gone to bed early the night before but a mixture of excitement and nervousness resulted in a restless sleep for them both. Fresh coffee and showers woke them up before they dressed ready for the journey. Suitcases were at the door and Kevin was making one last check that passports, airline tickets and wallets were in in their pockets when Steve arrived to take them to Manchester airport.

At 3:30am when Steve dropped them of at Terminal 1, saying their goodbyes they entered departures and went to the Lufthansa desk. After checking in their suitcases and being given boarding passes they were directed to the express security gate. First stop after passing through security was to get more coffee and find comfortable seats in the business class lounge while waiting to board their flight. After a brief stopover in Berlin they would reach Tel-Aviv late in the afternoon if there were no delays. Eventually they were called to the boarding gate and were among the first to board.

I don't know about you but I hope all of that paperwork get's the job done. Next chapter we will catch up with the lads in Tel-Aviv, I hope all goes well for them.
Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any reactions you leave, if you have any thoughts on the story so far please lease a comment or two they are valuable to us authors and I promise to read and acknowledge each comment left.
I have written and produced this story without the aid of an editor or beta reader so ny errors are all mine if you spot any please let me know so I can put them right.
Copyright © 2022 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 8
I love to see what readers feel by the reactions that they leave so please hit that button to leave your initial reaction.
What I enjoy more than reactions is to read any comments that readers care to leave. Promise to read and acknowledge 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You have briefly nailed on the head how onerous the task of completing the paperwork  the intrusiveness of the referencing & interview  stages & the daunt felt by especially potential adopters as they progressed through the red tape quagmire & not forgetting the various training courses they would be mandated to attend & complete.!!! For expediency of the story line & some artistic "licence" I can see the need to "shorten" the timescales without denigrating the processes!!!

My younger brother & his wife  were almost 40 when they decided that IVF wasnt going to work for them after a number of failed & very expensive cycles & they decided on the adoption process instead which they almost gave up on as the tone it took at every turn & stage, as from start to finish it took almost 12 months of hoop jumping before they were finally approved as suitable  candidates to adopt and from first being told of their potential new son it was another 2 months before  they could meet him 2 months of weekly visits & then his first weekend sleepover! From then it was another 3 months before they were granted temporary  guardianship & 6 months from the end if the guardianship period that the adoption was finalised  but with family court retaining the right to cancel it  if their bi-monthly social worker  visits/assessments threw up x amounts of red flags or concerns for a period of 2 years.

The child or children's welfare & safety has to be the most import factor, as well as them going to the right "parents"

They adopted by then  a quiet but well mannered & well brought up 4 year old  boy who had lived in the same foster family  since he was 10 days old having been removed from his birth mother when she chose her junkie boyfriend over her new born son??????

6 years on he has just  turned 10 & he is a more outgoing confident lad who is sports mad & who has a slightly odd obsession for torches & projectors  & who likes a likes a little heavy metal  music as his guilty pleasure!?!? (Well it takes all sorts I guess??? Lol bless him lol).

My brother & his wife feel their family is now complete  as they both have demanding jobs, him as a senior charge nurse working with "sectioned" psychiatric  patients & her as a "community based" psychiatric  charge nurse & their son is the centre of their world. As he should be! & that's where he truly deserves to be.

As for me I have a favourite  nephew. !! But dont tell the other three who are in their 20's & the oldest in his early 30's!! Lol they'd only sulk Lol!

Their experiences  are of a Scottish regional  adoption service & I sincerely apologise if I have inadvertently increased or shortened  given time scales.

I know it was really tough for them & they did in one dark period consider walking away from it all but when they met their "son" for the first time  that didn't matter anymore for he was their "son to be" & now legally,truly & forever "their boy". They were "meant to be parents" but the path walked was not one they had considered at the beginning of their journey, but one they are now glad to have walked!!!

My youngest nephew is one lucky lad! who has the greatest  (in my humble  but much coloured  opinion!!) parents,  but don't tell my brother cos his head is big enough as it is & he'd  never let me live my soppy sentiments down!! Lol.

Sorry to bore you silly but I needed to  get this "out there" and have been inspired by the story line to date! You can evoke strong feelings through your writing which us an impressive skill!!! Keep it up & I'm waiting impatiently for the future installments!!!

As a final thought there are thousands of children in our country looking for both respite care, foster homes & their "forever  homes!!".

What about  me you might ask??- if your still  awake (!?!?) Well I'm 52 over the hill, engaged to a fantastic man who has children from his former marriage of  about 23 years, I have long standing spinal issues (& have had multiple surgeries) & I live with & act as the sole, unpaid carer to "our" lone parent. 

Most of my friends know me by the moniker of "The Child Catcher " as in "chitty chitty bang bang!" I think he had a few  good ideas!! Roflol.                                                        I love children but I couldn't eat a whole one in one sitting!! OmgLmao !! There might be ONE or two exceptions to my general dislikes of the under 21's I think you might guess who!?!? Lol.

Keep up the he pace & intrigue as you've got the rest going in spades !!! Again you inspired me to write my thoughts & general ramblings & my love for those who go up & over the hurdles in front of them & who adapt & make a difference one which can change lives!!🥰😂🥰🤩🌈

Ok I'm off before I get barred from posting comments!??! But seriously thank you!❤❤❤

 

Edited by Freemantleman
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Thank you @Freemantleman for the valuable comments. You are right by saying that the adoption/fostering process can be a long a tedious one which is why I wanted to include at least some of that process in the story. These processes can be anything from 6 months to 2 years to go through, the average time being 17 months in total although this is reducing in most cases. I applaud anyone who takes on the role of adoptive or foster parents, as my own parents did, I think it takes a special kind of person to do that.

More people can qualify than most think, the main reasons for being refused are very serious health conditions and serious criminal offences, minor offences that are considered spent are often ignored. Remember Ian and Kevin were once homeless but this is not a barrier for them. 

There will be developments in the story so you will need to read on to discover them.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

All the work Ian and Kevin had to do to set things up for an adoption was exhausting...and I only had to read about it.  Major is definitely focused on success and wants the boys to be safe.  His friends helping for free says a lot about their high regard for Major.  Great chapter.

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, raven1 said:

All the work Ian and Kevin had to do to set things up for an adoption was exhausting...and I only had to read about it.  Major is definitely focused on success and wants the boys to be safe.  His friends helping for free says a lot about their high regard for Major.  Great chapter.

What you know is always good, so researching the subject is always a good place to start, but sometimes it's who you know that helps the most.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I have to wonder if some of the "red-tape" in such processes exists solely to exhaust and repel all but the most persistent of applicants. Whilst I believe there is some merit in this tactic, it runs the risk of alienating some whom would be very suitable to adopt children, but for the lack of financial capacity or the "right team" to assist them in navigating the whole process. Of course many, if not all, these issues "disappear" if you have sufficient coin (think female singer and actresses who have adopted children from other nations far and wide).

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

I have to wonder if some of the "red-tape" in such processes exists solely to exhaust and repel all but the most persistent of applicants. Whilst I believe there is some merit in this tactic, it runs the risk of alienating some whom would be very suitable to adopt children, but for the lack of financial capacity or the "right team" to assist them in navigating the whole process. Of course many, if not all, these issues "disappear" if you have sufficient coin (think female singer and actresses who have adopted children from other nations far and wide).

 

Sometimes I wonder why is there so much red tape, but then I do understand the necessity of thoroughly checking backgrounds. But then the rich and famous don't appear to have that problem. Ian and Kevin are neither rich nor famous, so I wonder how they will get on with the system as it is.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..