Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,378 Words
  • 737 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
As part of the Lost Souls Series and The Boot World readers may benefit from reading the other stories previously published, although it isn't necessary it could help you to enjoy this story more.
 

Goldstein, Johnson & Cole - 16. Chapter 16 Plus One

My apologies for the delay in posting this chapter, unfortunately I've been caught up in end of month paperwork and doing the rounds with the begging bowl, with some success, for the organisation that I volunteer with.
Back to the story, if you haven't guessed it Plus One means that the family is growing, you will need to read on for the details.

Joseph held Benjamin's hand tight as they stood in front of Ian and Kevin, the pleading look on both faces said everything as Joseph uttered one word, “Please.”

Kevin turned to Ben and Isaac, he didn't need to ask.

Picking up his phone Ben said, “I'll make a call.”

*****

Work in the 'back offices' of Associated Executive Car Services never stopped, it was a twenty four hour operation. Tom and Dick the UK operatives worked diligently with their Israeli counterparts, Dick spent most of his time 'out in the field'. Accompanying a courier he dropped off and picked up many small but important packages, discretion being paramount.

Tom's skills were best put to use sat in front of a computer. Most called him a computer hacker, Tom hated that phrase, hacking was something that he associated with blood, guts and gore and making a mess. Tom considered that what he did was done discretely with stealth and precision, there was nothing messy about it and never leaving a trace of having accessed, or altered, any system he came into contact with. He was one of the best and he knew it.

By accessing the right systems Tom could delete all traces of a persons identity. Creating an identity is a skill, it requires a legitimate birth certificate, full medical record from birth, an education record that matches educational achievements, and a current passport for any country in the world. The tricky part is accessing the systems in the UK and the USA, they are the best protected in the world. With the assistance of a colleague somewhere in the UK he accessed and manipulated the records that he needed to. Joseph's Israeli documents were ready and being delivered and a valid UK passport would be available in the next forty eight hours. If the passport arrived on time Joseph could use it to enter the UK and avoid immigration control.

Tom had just finished the tedious, but necessary, task of disconnecting from multiple IP addresses around the world, securing the pathway, the computer and it's systems and logging off when he was called into the main office.

“Tom, please may I have a few minutes if your time, there is an urgent matter that I need to discuss.”

Tom nodded then entered the office of his opposite number in the Israeli operation. “David, what can I do to help?”

“First let me say thank you for your help resolving the situation with Joseph, your work has been faultless our operatives have learned a lot from you.”

“Thank you, it's been a pleasure, they are very skilled operatives it has been beneficial working with them. But we both know that's not what you wanted to discuss, what can I help you with?” Tom wasn't a fan of smalltalk, he preferred to get down to business.

“Yes you're right in your assumption. It looks like your English friends, well it's Joseph's request really, he would like to take his 'brother' home with him if that's possible.” David raised his eyebrows questioningly as he slipped a document folder across the table. “If it can be arranged these are the 'brother's' details that need amending. Can this be done and if it's possible could we expedite matters to send them home together? That's if we have the materials needed of course.”

“Hmm, it's possible, I'll need to check with the UK contact before I can be sure. If I can do it the courier we have in place can deliver both sets of documents. I assume you can supply the Israeli documents when I perform my magic?”

“Yes, and thanks to your help they are the best we've ever produced.”

“We'll need the UK solicitor to hold the will, no action can be taken yet it could make things awkward, can you arrange that?”

“It's being taken care of as we speak.”

“Okay let me make the calls.” Tom left the office to make his calls from an untraceable burner phone.

*****

Pressing the red button Ben ended the call, placing his phone in his shirt pocket he asked Ian, Kevin, Joseph and Benjamin to join Isaac, Jacob and himself around the dining room table.

“I want you all to fully understand that once this is done there is no undoing this or going back, it will be permanent. So I'm asking you all one last time, are you all sure that this is what you want?” Ben looked around the table, seeing a series of nods and happy faces and hearing excited yes's. “Good, that was my friends telling me that they are ready to proceed. By this time tomorrow everything will be in place and fresh documents will either be here or on the way, and you two,” Ben pointed to Ian and Kevin smiling, “will effectively be fathers.”

“My problem is I need passport details to arrange airline tickets for the boys, if there are no seats available I'll have to rearrange our flights again.” Kevin's concern was understandable.

“Give me your flight details and let me take care of it.” Kevin got their tickets and gave Ben the flight details.

“What about my things, I've got nothing ready.” Joseph realised he'd only packed for a few days.

Isaac smiled, “That's been taken care of, what we could pack is ready in the back of Ben's car, I'll arrange for the remainder of you property to be shipped to you.”

Jacob spoke to Benjamin. “I'll take you to your house so that you can pack your clothes and anything else you can take on the flight. If you leave the keys with me and let me know what you want to keep I'll store it till it's shipped to you. I'll dispose of the rest and send you any money I manage to raise from it. Then I'll shut down the house, do you own it or is it rented?”

“It's rented, but I'm behind in the rent, the landlord wants the overdue rent and the house back.” Benjamin looked embarrassed, he'd used his dead brothers details to rent the house and obtain a driving license, at fourteen years old he was too young.

“Don't worry about the landlord, I'll take care of him.” Jacob placed his hand on Benjamin's shoulder and gave a friendly supportive squeeze. “I know your worried about Ariel and I know you will miss her. If Ian and Kevin agree I'll try to send her to you in the UK, if it's not possible Aaron and Asher will look after her as well as the pups.”

Benjamin threw himself into Jacob's arms and buried his face into Jacob's chest as floods of tears fell. Overcome with emotion he was happy to have a future to look forward to, and finding these people that had become irreplaceable friends. Ariel had been his since she was a pup and for a long time had been his only friend, he was upset about leaving her behind, he felt as though he was abandoning her.

*****

Tom had been hard at work for the last two hours, while maintaining constant contact with his man in the UK, records had been amended and a second authentic UK passport had been authorised. Both passports would soon be delivered to the courier. The Last Will and Testament of Emmanuel Goldstein was waiting to be delivered to Isaac's office, copies would then be forwarded to Mark Fellows in the UK and Isaac in Haifa. Now all Tom wanted was to rest. All that remained was to work with the team to amend Israeli records so that the supporting documents could be produced. Those records would be amended through the night to avoid detection.

During his time in Israel Tom learned that Emmanuel Joseph Goldstein was held in high regard and loved by many in Israel, all of whom considered themselves family. He only knew of one other man who could match that much respect, that is his old CO, Major Alexander Byron Oxley or The Ox as they affectionately called him. He knew that Ian and Kevin appreciated the influence that the two men had on their lives, he hoped that Benjamin and Joseph would also appreciate their influence.

It looks like Tom has been busy performing his 'magic', as he describes it, it's definitely not a job for amateurs. Hopefully all goes well and they will have the documents they need. When Benjamin dropped his defences the needs of the fourteen year old boy took over, he needs a family as much as Joseph does. There are still some questions to be answered which will be addressed in the next chapter.
The next chapter will be the final chapter in this story, but the story goes on and may be told in the future.
I hope that your still with me and enjoying the story, if you are please leave a reaction and comment to let me know your thoughts. All reactions and comments are appreciated and I promise to read and acknowledge all comments left.
I have written this without the aid of a beta reader or editor so any mistakes are all mine, if you spot any let me know and I'll try to put them right.
Copyright © 2022 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 11
  • Fingers Crossed 1
I love to see what readers feel by the reactions that they leave so please hit that button to leave your initial reaction.
What I enjoy more than reactions is to read any comments that readers care to leave. Promise to read and acknowledge 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

26 minutes ago, Jkeeletupelo said:

I'm loving this latest adventure! I can't wait to see how it ends!

Thank you taking the time to comment and I'm really happy to see that you are enjoying the story. The next chapter is the last in this story and will be posted in the next 10 to 14 days, if not sooner.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Is chpt 16 the final chapter or is there still one to follow as suggested at the end of chapter 16??

In February 2022 you wrote that the concluding chapter would follow in 6weeks but it's now over 8 months later... 

It would be great to get the next/last chapter thing up loose ends.

Edited by Simon41
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, Simon41 said:

Is chpt 16 the final chapter or is there still one to follow as suggested at the end of chapter 16??

In February 2022 you wrote that the concluding chapter would follow in 6weeks but it's now over 8 months later... 

It would be great to get the next/last chapter thing up loose ends.

Hi @Simon41, thank you for taking the time to read the story, I hope you are enjoying it, it would be great to know what you think of the story and the other stories in The Boot World.

I think you're misreading the date format used on GA, unlike the standard UK format of dd/mm/yyyy  the site used the American and Canadian format which is mm/dd/yyyy. The uk date format for when the story was started is 01/06/2022 (day/month/year), the USA/Canadian format is 06/01/2022 (month/day/year), it can be confusing for us Brits but once you get used to it it's easy enough although it sometimes it still confuses me.

This chapter was posted November 1st - eight days ago. This chapter was originally intended to be the final chapter bit when it came to editing it was split into two, the next and final chapter will be posted in within the next week if not before. Hope that clears up any confusion.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Ok...how I understand how about the dates.

Yes I've loved The Boot stories but alas really hate that 'Head and Tails' added each time... These are not required as the body of the text is great without the 'extra support'. The extra text is especially annoying.. When reading the story as a whole rather than by instalments.... So once a story is complete I suggest that you 're-exit to remove the superfluous text. Your writing is great and doesn't need the extra support, especially as you also start each 'chapter's with the last lines from the previous one.

I also don't like the hanky/tissue reference... The writing is strong enough on its own and yes it does lead to rising levels of emotion in the reader (ie me).

Another pet hate...ok dislike. Is the shop ratio  of names...different characters called John in the same text... Very confusing.

Despite my criticisms I think the overall story is well told.... And I'd love to read updates on all the characters.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Hi @Simon41, it's good to know that you are enjoying this and the other stories in The Boot World and that you are invested enough to wan to know more about the other characters. This is the what all authors want to know as it it what gives us the encouragement to continue to write. I hope that the points you mentioned have not detracted from your enjoyment.

There will be more stories to come in both The Boot Series and The Lost Souls series, with the possibility of other unrelated stories, all of which are yet to be written and are in the planning stage. The points you have mentioned have given me something to think about when planning these stories. Thank you for your valuable comments.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Apologies for the various typos and auto corrects in my earlier message... I hope you got the gyst?!

Multiple useable of the same name for different characters does make life bloody difficult. Also very similar names like Jacob and Joseph... Yes I know that they are different...But it doesn't help... Well not for me. 

I'd really like to know more about Manny..... Even though you killed him off I'd like to know more about his past.

In fact the whole family of characters gets are great (apart from Bill etc)... So is like to hear more all round.

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

It's great that Benjamin will be able to go to the UK.  It would be wonderful if Ariel can go too.  Tom's association with Ox was surprising and it sounds as if he will return to the UK also.  Looking forward to the next chapter.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, raven1 said:

It's great that Benjamin will be able to go to the UK.  It would be wonderful if Ariel can go too.  Tom's association with Ox was surprising and it sounds as if he will return to the UK also.  Looking forward to the next chapter.

I think Benjamin would be a fine addition to this growing family, but they will need to check on the requirements for Ariel to be able to travel to the UK. Tom and Dick's association with Ox/The Major is more understandable when you think back to a meeting in The Grenadiers Arms, when Jacob met them at his boss's office he made reference to previously used code names, when you take those meetings into account connecting the dots is easy.

The next and final chapter is currently being finalised before posting.

Edited by Mancunian
  • Love 1
Link to comment

The news for Benjamin is all good, except for him having to leave Ariel behind. I am in two minds as to what is best for her, joining her human Benjamin in a new country after having had to make a trip to get there (and probably confined to the cargo hold, which I view as barbaric and completely unnecessary and unacceptable) or remaining in Israel with her sons and new humans. I am certain if I were faced with the prospects of having to leave Kiki, Frida, Zelda and Missy behind to emigrate to a new country, I could not do it.

Ian and Kevin will make good parents. Benjamin and Joseph will have an extended family, and in the case of Joseph at least, one worthy of their devotion.

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

The news for Benjamin is all good, except for him having to leave Ariel behind. I am in two minds as to what is best for her, joining her human Benjamin in a new country after having had to make a trip to get there (and probably confined to the cargo hold, which I view as barbaric and completely unnecessary and unacceptable) or remaining in Israel with her sons and new humans. I am certain if I were faced with the prospects of having to leave Kiki, Frida, Zelda and Missy behind to emigrate to a new country, I could not do it.

Ian and Kevin will make good parents. Benjamin and Joseph will have an extended family, and in the case of Joseph at least, one worthy of their devotion.

 

Whatever decisions are made about Ariel she will be looked after. Sometimes we have to make hard decisions in life, we can only do what we feel is right at the time.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..