Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,160 Words
  • 683 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
As part of the Lost Souls Series and The Boot World readers may benefit from reading the other stories previously published, although it isn't necessary it could help you to enjoy this story more.
 

Goldstein, Johnson & Cole - 3. Chapter 3 The Major Returns

There's a lot going on in the Johnson/Cole household and plans are being made. Help and support is coming from all angles, how much of it will be needed?

Mark you knew Manny well, as well or better than us, I,” Kevin smiled at Ian. “No, I mean we, believe that Manny intended to bring him home. So can you make arrangements for him to be properly looked after in the short term?”

The solicitor over there is my brother-in-law, he will look after him.” For the first time since arriving Mark was smiling.

Good, then we want you and your brother-in-law to make all of the arrangements we will cover all of the costs. We will be his guardians, our instructions are simple. Bring Joseph home.”

 

*****

 

Following the meeting Ian was quiet, something that did not go unnoticed by many of the guests. It wasn't that he wasn't happy, he was, but he was also surprised and in shock at Mark's revelations.

Kevin, being Kevin took charge of the situation and after speaking quietly with Kate left Ian in her charge. As he welcomed guests he also fended off questions regarding Ian's subdued behaviour.

When Christian and Andy arrived Kevin took them in to the study.

Hey what's this are you trying to keep Andy away from the food? I promise he is now fully trained in table manners and party etiquette, honestly, he will behave.” Christian enjoyed ribbing his life partner and his 'little brothers'. Sensing apprehension from Kevin his tone changed. “Where's Ian? What's happened? everything is alright isn't it?”

Ian is with Kate, she's keeping an eye on him. I'll give you the brief run through on what's happened. I'm thinking it might be good idea to let everyone know this afternoon before we get started and as for everything being okaaay..... well..... I hope it will be when things get sorted out. We may need some help, I just wish Pop was here.”

Christian and Andy looked on at first quizzically, then shocked and amazed as Kevin briefly explained about the meeting with Mark.

The help is no problem, you just let us know what you need and when you need it. We will all have your back.” Christian enveloped Kevin in a reassuring hug.

Sorry to break up the hugs and all, especially as I'm being denied my part in this hug fest. But by the sound of the car pulling in, I think one wish is about to be granted.” Andy was smiling as he went to open the front door.

Kevin's face looked blank as broke the hug, then realisation hit and he ran outside to the drive.

The Major, Pop, exited the car as Marty put the car in neutral and switched off the engine. Immediately he was swept into the arms of an excited Kevin.

Okay okay you're excited to see me but please loosen up or you'll crush this poor old man to death.” The Major loosened Kevins grip gaining space to breath. Concerned he rubbed his hand soothingly up and down Kevin's back. “Now what brings this on, you're not usually this excited to see me and what's with the tears. Now come on lad, spill the beans and tell your Pop what's happened.”

I will, but first,” Kevin turned to Christian and Andy, “would you guys get Ian for me please, we need to speak to Pop together.”

Andy and Christian left to join the BBQ party and to pass on the news of The Major's arrival. On hearing the news Ian made his way to the study.


 

After welcome hugs from Ian and listening to the lads news The Major spoke up. “That sounds like Manny to a tee and while I am a bit surprised I really shouldn't be, and, I hope to see a happy resolution for Joseph'e sake. I don't want to put a damper on your news, but lads you must be mindful that there are no guarantees in bringing Joseph here to the UK, and if it can be pulled off it could take a long time. Also you may need some specialist help,” The Major stared at Marty who nodded in answer to the unasked question. “The specialist help I'm talking about I'm not prepared to discuss at the moment, if at all, Marty and I have some contacts that be useful. I need you you to do two things if you want our help, first is that you give Mark permission to share his knowledge and future dealings about this with us, trust us and ask no questions. Second, you need to look into what it entails to adopt a child from overseas, if you want him to come to the UK you will need to adopt him and you must comply with any legal requirements to do that. Is that agreed?”

Yes Pop we agree to and will do anything to get Joseph here with us, we believe it was Manny's wish, that makes it ours too.” With The Major back Ian was back to his usual self and more animated.

And you guys should make arrangements to get your asses out there to meet this young lad. Don't you think you should meet and get to know him and ask him what he wants, after all it is his life we are talking about and he should have a say in what happens.” Marty looked serious as he added his comments.

Kev, can you make the arrangements for that?” Kevin nodded in agreement, “I'll need to speak to Sean, I may need to re-assess his position and pay him a bonus, he's invaluable and deserves it.”


 

At about eight o'clock the barbecue was winding down and most had left to go home. Among the last was Jeff who left for a night shift at The Old Shoe Factory, Sean and his partner left after an intense but rewarding conversation with Ian and Kevin, Sean was deliriously happy with his new position as Senior Manager with extra responsibility, increased salary and benefits. Kate Steve and their boys stayed to help with the clean up.

 

*****


Monday morning Ian made his way to the Prestwich store for a management meeting with Sean. This was to prepare Sean for their extended absence while in Israel and to let him know that if he needed help or support during that time to contact Christian.

Kevin was busy booking flights to Israel, flights to Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv-Yafo were not cheap. He also needed to complete the required entry forms online, while visa's were not needed the forms were still complicated and necessary.

Travel arrangements and accommodation in Jerusalem were made with assistance from Mark and his brother-in-law who would meet them, they would stay with his family and meet Joseph.

At the same time Marty and The Major made their arrangements with their 'contacts' and made arrangements to meet, a few of them were in the area and had the task of discreetly keeping 'a special eye' on two visitors.

Phew, the lads are busy, they've only just moved to a new house and now they are planning to jet off. What's going to happen?
I hope that you are enjoying the story so far and I welcome your reactions to it. I'd love to hear from you to let me know what you think so please leave any comments, I promise to read and acknowledge all comments left.
I have written this without the aid of an editor or bets reader so any mistakes are all mine, if you spot any please let me know and I'll try to put them right.
the next instalment should be ready in about a week.
Copyright © 2022 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 9
I love to see what readers feel by the reactions that they leave so please hit that button to leave your initial reaction.
What I enjoy more than reactions is to read any comments that readers care to leave. Promise to read and acknowledge 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow! Things move fast when the Major arrives.  It looks like his contacts are not just in the UK.  The adoption will be difficult, but hopefully not impossible.  It's a good thing the boys have a trusted employee in Sean.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, raven1 said:

Wow! Things move fast when the Major arrives.  It looks like his contacts are not just in the UK.  The adoption will be difficult, but hopefully not impossible.  It's a good thing the boys have a trusted employee in Sean.

The Major's contacts are UK based and have affiliations in many countries, we will just have to see what can be done. An adoption will be difficult, can it be done? Let's hope so. Manny taught the lads many things, one was how to be a good employer, only good employers can hope to have good trusted employees and Sean is loyal to both Ian and Kevin.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I am glad The Major pointed out to Kevin and Ian that they should visit Joseph before proceeding with attempting to adopt him and bring him to the UK as this may not be his wish. Given his background he may not wish to be adopted by two gay men as who knows what kind of nonsense his head has been filled with regarding "such people". If he is agreeable to be adopted and come to the UK to live he should do well with Ian and Kevin (and he obviously does). I am intrigued now as to how Benjamin becomes a member of the family as I seem to recall he is also originally from Israel (or did I imagine this). 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

As grown up as Ian and Kevin are, they still need the level-headedness of their Pop and it's good that he is there for them. They, and we, will discover more about Joseph when they arrive in Israel, and keep the tissues handy for those allergies when they meet. Benjamin is from Israel and enters the story in later chapters.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..