Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,583 Words
  • 822 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
As part of the Lost Souls Series and The Boot World readers may benefit from reading the other stories previously published, although it isn't necessary it could help you to enjoy this story more.
 

Goldstein, Johnson & Cole - 17. Chapter 17 The Return Home

This is the final chapter in this story, I'm not going to give anything away, you will need to read on to find out what happens.

During his time in Israel Tom learned that Emmanuel Joseph Goldstein was held in high regard and loved by many in Israel, all of whom considered themselves family. He only knew of one other man who could match that much respect, that is his old CO, Major Alexander Byron Oxley or The Ox as they affectionately called him. He knew that Ian and Kevin appreciated the influence that the two men had on their lives, he hoped that Benjamin and Joseph would also appreciate their influence.

*****

 

With the help of Jacob and Eli, Benjamin had packed all of his possessions. Clothes and some smaller items had been packed and transferred to the house in Haifa, the remainder had been placed in storage. After Jacob had a 'conversation' with the landlord the outstanding rent was written off and possession of the property had been handed over.

Monday morning Isaac received a call from Ben letting him know that progress was being made and he would see them Tuesday morning and steps had been taken to ensure seat availability on Wednesday's flight. The news was a relief to Ian and Kevin when he passed it on.

Sensing the underlying tension Shamira spoke to Isaac and suggested a fun day out as a distraction. Isaac agreed and thought it was a good idea, between them they thought a day's excursion to Madatech-Israel National Museum of Science Technology and Space with it's interactive exhibitions would be an ideal way to entertain everyone.

When Isaac the four young boys that they were going to visit the museum Benjamin was excited, he had visited before and enjoyed the visit. Joseph had never been but he had heard of it and asked what it was like. Before anyone could answer him everyone started laughing at Aaron and Asher's response.

“The mooseymum?” Questioned Aaron.

“What's the mooseymum?” Asked Asher.

The twins became irritated at Benjamin and Joseph for laughing at them. “It's not funny,” started Asher. “We don't know what a mooseymum is.” Finished Aaron.

Benjamin and Joseph laughed harder the more the twins mispronounced museum.

Before things could get out of hand Shamira took control. “Right you two, garden now, maybe cleaning up the dogs mess will bring you back to your senses. It needs doing before we go anywhere.”

If the truth be told, all of the adults were having trouble hiding their amusement at the twins mispronunciation. But they were holding it together... just.

Isaac sat the twins down helped them to say museum properly, he settled on moosyum, it was the closest he could get from them. Then he explained about the museum and the fun they could have with the interactive exhibitions. By the time he finished the twins were excited and dancing around with glee.

An hour later, with everyone onboard, Eli was driving the coach to the museum.

*****

Tom was leaving the office to meet Dick for lunch when his burner phone chirped alerting him to an incoming call. “Talk.”

“Good morning sir, this is a curtesy call from the publishing house. I'm happy to confirm that we have been able to obtain the books you ordered, they are available for delivery by our usual courier. Do you have any delivery instructions sir?”

“Can you confirm if the order is complete?”

“Yes sir the order is complete, we have been able obtain quality aged editions of both volumes with individual certification. If you can provide instructions in the next thirty minutes they can be delivered today sir.”

“Thank you, I'll get back to you immediately.” Tom hung up and made his way to the carpark where Dick and his Israeli counterpart were waiting.

A short conversation and a few phone conversations later, including one to the 'publishing house', delivery was arranged for late that evening at the Townhouse Hotel in Tel-Aviv. Rooms had been reserved for Tom, Dick and Ben Cohen.

Tuesday morning Ben arrived at the house in Haifa, the document folder in his hand was now complete and included flight confirmations for Wednesday's flight to Munich and connecting flight to Manchester. Before he could knock Isaac opened the door and greeted him.

“Please tell me you have everything, the tense atmosphere in there is so thick it could be cut with a knife.” Isaac was trying to be relaxed but the strain was showing on his face.

“Relax Isaac, all will be back to normal tomorrow, I have everything in here.” Ben handed the folder to Isaac.

After breakfast and coffee Ben explained the contents of the document folder to Ian and Kevin while Benjamin and Joseph looked on, then slid it to them across the table.

Kevin opened the folder and looked at the UK passports and birth certificates for the boys. “I'm happy, but... ”

“Ask no questions, just rest assured that they are as genuine as they can be and will stand any checks that may be made. Just remember to make the transfers that are required by Manny's current will. Mark has all of the papers ready for your signatures when you are back in Manchester. Major Oxley is up to date with current events and eagerly awaits your return home.” Isaac smiled confidently.

“I can't wait to see Pop,” Ian smiled, then looking at Benjamin, “How does it feel to be part of the family being the only straight one?”

“I am happy to have such a caring younger brother, and two older brothers who are also my fathers. I don't know what I did to deserve this good fortune, I just wish we could take Ariel with us.” Benjamin was happy although he knew he would miss Ariel.

Shamira put her arm around Benjamin, it would be a very long process and mean that she has to spend many months in quarantined in a kennel, that would be unkind to her. I promise she will be looked after and remain with her babies. Maybe when you have settled in you could ask Ian and Kevin about getting another dog.”

The rest of the day was spent making sure that everything was clean and packed. The atmosphere was a mixture of excitement and happiness, tinged with some sadness. The twins were oblivious and brought about lot's of laughter by being their usual mischievous selves. Eventually the day came to its end and everyone went to bed tired awaiting the excitement of the following day.

Joseph was the first to up the following morning, waking Benjamin as he excitedly showered and dressed. Jacob kept him occupied allowing everyone else to shower and get ready for the day.

After a hearty breakfast of shakshuka and excited, but tearful goodbyes, promises to keep in touch and future reciprocal visits, luggage was loaded and Joseph drove Ian, Kevin, Joesph and Benjamin to Ben Gurion Airport in Tel-Aviv. Jacob gave them all a hug promising to visit them in the UK very soon.

At the Lufthansa desk they claimed their tickets for business class and checked in their cases for stowed luggage, then made their way through security to go airside and wait for their flight. They were unaware of the two men monitoring their progress as they too journeyed back to the UK.

On board the airplane the boys were in seats in front of Kevin and Ian, the only other passengers in business class were two friendly men returning to the UK after a 'holiday' in Israel. The journey home, including the short lay-over in Munich was pleasant and uneventful. The boys were nervous as they had never flown before, with a bit of re-arranging Ian and Kevin were each sat with one of the boys during take off and landing, allowing them to have the window seats to maximize their experience.

When they landed at Manchester the weather wasn't at it's best, light cloud and showers with occasional showers was typical for Manchester. They all had UK passports as the boys had dual nationality so they had no problems going through customs, Kevin didn't need to use any of the documents that he had kept handy. Waiting for their luggage at the carousel was the most tedious part of the journey.

Leaving the airport terminal Ian spotted The Major and made his way directly to him. He didn't spot the exchanged nod with the two who travelled on the same flight.

The Major hugged both Ian and Kevin. “Welcome home lads, I see that everything went well now introduce me.”

“Pop, I'm happy to introduce you to Joseph Emmanuel Goldstein and Benjamin Daniel Goldstein, we are proud to be their guardians.” Ian pointed to each as he introduced them. Kevin was stood with his arms draped over their shoulders.

The Major enveloped them both in his arms. “Shalom Aleichem Joseph, Shalom Aleichem Benjamin. It is my hope that we get to know each other well.”

“Aleichem Shalom.” they chorused.

“I'm sorry sir, but we don't know how we should address you, please forgive us.” Benjamin spoke up.

“Mmmm, what would you like to call me?”

Nervously Joseph spoke to The Major. “Well Ian and Kevin call you Pop which means father, as they are like fathers to us would that mean you are...” Joseph's voice trailed off.

“I think I know what you mean, it would be an honour to be your grandfather, how about you call me Grandad Ox?”

Both boys tightly hugged The Major with tears in their eyes uttering. “Aleichem Shalom Grandad Ox.”

That is the end of this story, but it's not the end of their story, that is yet to be told.
I hope that you, my readers, have enjoyed this story, if you have please leave your reactions and comments. I promise I will read and acknowledge all comments left.
This has been written without the aid of an editor or beta reader so any mistakes are all mine, if you spot any please let me know and I'll try to put them right.
Copyright © 2022 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 12
I love to see what readers feel by the reactions that they leave so please hit that button to leave your initial reaction.
What I enjoy more than reactions is to read any comments that readers care to leave. Promise to read and acknowledge 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, AlexLittel said:

Great story!  Very inventive with enjoyable characters.  Keep writing,  Hugs

Thank you for commenting and the encouragement, this is the last chapter of this story but in time there will be more stories to come.

Edited by Mancunian
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, raven1 said:

Great story that has a wonderful ending.  Looking forward to many more.

This wasn't where I originally intended to end this story, but I think it's fitting as anything more is a new adventure for the boys and Ind and Kevin. I think Grandad Ox is feeling just as emotional as everyone else, what do you think?

There are more stories to be told in both series that make up The World, they are still in the planning stage and I am yet to put pen to paper. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

As much as it  was painful for Benjamin, I think the right choice was made for Ariel. I understand why quarantine laws exist for non-human animals, but why the excessive time in "boarding"? And if COVID has taught us anything it should be that we are more at risk from viruses, infections and diseases carried by fellow human animals than from non-human animals. 

I was surprised to learn Benjamin is straight @Mancunian. It seems the relationship developing between he and Joseph is nothing more than brotherly affection, perhaps strengthened exponentially by their individual perilous circumstances which brought them together.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

As much as it  was painful for Benjamin, I think the right choice was made for Ariel. I understand why quarantine laws exist for non-human animals, but why the excessive time in "boarding"? And if COVID has taught us anything it should be that we are more at risk from viruses, infections and diseases carried by fellow human animals than from non-human animals. 

I was surprised to learn Benjamin is straight @Mancunian. It seems the relationship developing between he and Joseph is nothing more than brotherly affection, perhaps strengthened exponentially by their individual perilous circumstances which brought them together.

Quarantine is one of those necessary evils, for want of a better expression, but I'm sure it would be just as effective if shortened. 

Benjamin and Joseph's relationship is close, they are 'brothers' brought together by circumstance. I hope you will join me in wishing them well on their new adventures and a life in the UK.

Edited by Mancunian
  • Love 1
Link to comment

The Whole Story is long and actually quite involved. It will take a lot of work to integrate all of these stories around the Baxter Boys as that is the strongest and longest part and the best written. Throwback are a good way, including it when the new character is first introduced. Mancunian, if you are game it can be a lot of work. Letting the side stories exist as short stories is OK as they seem to stand alone very well.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Goldstein, Johnson and Cole is one story from the Lost Souls Series, as is What Happened To The Baxter Boys. They are accompanied by Lost Soul - The Ox and Lost Soul - John/Christian. The Boot and The Boot - Three Years On are in The Boot Series, and form the central core of the stories. Both series together form The Boot World. All of the stories can be read as a stand-alone story. However, it can increase the enjoyment of the stories if they are all read.

The Boot, the first in the series and the original story which inspired the other stories was written with the help of an editor and beta-reader. I consider it a well-written short story.

What Happened To The Baxter Boys, is the latest in The Lost Soul Series and The Boot World. Again it has been written with the help of an editor and beta-reader. I agree that it is the best written and of a higher quality. I consider it the best written and presented of all the stories.

All of the remaining stories I chose to write without the aid of an editor or beta-reader and I believe that shows. They are good stories that could have been written better and would have benefitted from the help of an editor and beta reader. In essence, they are my journey to becoming a better writer and author. Some of the stories have had some minor editing carried out but enough to improve them greatly. With @raven1 I am currently looking to either carry out some serious editing or possibly re-writing to improve them and raise the quality. Goldstein, Johnson & Cole is currently under review. No plot lines or outcomes will be altered, but it is hoped to improve the quality of the stories.

If any reader would like to comment on or discuss the announcement of updates please use The Boot World discussion forum where future announcements will be made. You can find it in The Stories Discussion Forum or click on the following link.

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..