Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,924 Words
  • 922 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
As part of the Lost Souls Series and The Boot World readers may benefit from reading the other stories previously published, although it isn't necessary it could help you to enjoy this story more.
 

Goldstein, Johnson & Cole - 13. Chapter 13 Beach Babies

The Lehrer family and co are enjoying a their break in Haifa, the twins especially are having fun and making discoveries, you to read on to see what they discover.

Jacob knew that roadworks would cause delays and prepared for them, the usual two hour journey was taking much longer than expected. When the twins became irritable due to being cooped up, he opened the box of games and DVD's. With Joseph's encouragement they settled in reclined seats to watch Disney's Pocahontas on DVD.

They arrived at the house as the film ended, nearly four hours after they had set off. Shamira watched the twins run off some steam while Joseph helped the men unload the luggage and supplies. Their break on the coast had started and Joseph was excited.

*****

 

The day following their arrival was a quiet one. They enjoyed an early morning stroll on the beach before the the temperature rose to unbearable levels, then relaxed in the cool air conditioned house until the hottest part of the day passed. A small outdoor swimming pool in a shaded corner of the garden was an unexpected bonus and helped to occupy the boys as well as keeping them cool.

As sunset approached Eli suggested they all go for a walk on the beach, there was a cooling breeze coming in from the Mediterranean Sea which was welcome after the warm day. Conversation was light, but focused on places to go and things to see over the following days.

Nobody paid any attention to the car driving past, they hadn't seen it stop behind them, they hadn't seen the driver get out and place the wooden crate on the beach. They continued their walk for about another ten or fifteen minutes, nobody was checking the time.

When they turned around to make their way back to the house the twins ran a little way ahead, like all six year olds they were full of life, running, playing and chattering between themselves. Then they heard a whimpering sound, they stopped and looked at each other, then they heard it again, they turned and ran to Shamira.

“Mommy, mommy.” Aaron shouted. “There's a baby crying over there.” Asher continued, they both pointed in the general direction of the crate.

“Aaron, Asher, you must be hearing things, there are no babies out here...”

“MOMMY WE HEARD IT, IT'S OVER THERE.” The twins cut her off shouting and pointing to where they heard the noise.

Before Shamira could reprimand the twins Jacob cut in, “Shush be quiet and listen.”

Then they all heard a faint whining sound. Eli dashed in the direction of the noise, he swerved slightly when he heard the noise again. Now he could see the outline of the wooden crate in the dwindling light, cautiously he made his way toward it.

As he knelt he knew that there was something alive in the crate, he only knew it wasn't a baby. Slowly opening the crate he was greeted by the short sharp 'yippy' barks of two puppies. They looked like Labradors, one chocolate and the other golden in colour. There was puppy food inside and a note stuck to the outside of it, this did not look like someone wanted to be cruel.

Suddenly from over his shoulder Eli could hear a couple of 'ooh's' and 'ahh's' followed by loud shrieks of delight from the twins.

“Babies!!” Shrieked the twins.

“They are puppies not babies.” Shamira tried to tell the twins.

Reactions were priceless when two very indignant boys stood facing their mother. Joseph stood shaking his head, Eli hid his face playing with the puppies, Jacob took a few steps away and, Ian and Kevin hid their smiles behind their hands.

Standing legs akimbo, hands on hips and determined expressions on faces the twins spoke as they usually do. “Mommy don't you know anything.” Started Aaron. “Puppies are dog babies.” Continued Asher. “So they are babies.” They finished together.

Faced with her sons logic and no argument against it, Shamira agreed and accepted that the twins are right, they are babies. As they couldn't leave them abandoned Eli carried the crate, with the 'babies' inside, to the house as daylight faded.

The pups were left in the crate with food and water, leaving them to sit and eat an evening meal of sea bass with salad, falafel and fresh bread, followed by fresh fruit and ice-cream. Jacob removed the note to read later.

When the meal was over Joseph and the twins took the puppies into the garden to do what puppies usually do after eating and let them have a run around. Joseph thought it was cute how the pups appeared to pick a twin each to follow about and play with, they chased after the sticks that were thrown and dropped them at the boys feet waiting for them to be thrown again. As boisterous as the pups could be they never jumped up at the twins, but were gentle and patient with them.

With the boys and pups out of the way Jacob opened the note and read, he looked sad when he passed it to Shamira.

Shamira was clearly emotional as she read;

 

Please forgive me for my actions, I am hoping that I am doing the right thing. It is my hope that the family with two small boys that I watched on the beach tonight are the people that find my babies, you look like a kind and loving family.

Since my parents passed away I have been living off the money they left me while I continued my studies, but unfortunately that money has run out and I no longer have the means to look after my babies, their mother and myself. I ask you to please give them a home. I have left everything they need and the last of my money in the crate with them to help you. Do not worry about me I will sell my car so that I have money and I will find work instead of studying.

If you cannot look after them then I ask that please find a good home that can take care of them.

May God forgive me.

Benjamin.

 

Tearfully Shamira checked the crate, there was a small bag of dried puppy food and two more tins of meat. Under the blanket she found two leads that matched the collars worn by the pups and an envelope. The envelope contained the registration papers for the pups and two thousand Shekels.

“We have to do something.” Shamira stated and picked up her mobile phone to call Isaac.

Isaac agreed that Benjamin appeared to be young man who was in need of help and if he couldn't keep the pups then Aaron and Asher could have them if they wanted to. That was easily decided as the twins had already become attached and asked if they could keep them. After a short conversation Shamira ended the call.

“Jacob, Isaac said that we should try to find out what we can do to help Benjamin.” Shamira passed the money, letter and registration documents to Jacob. “He said to give you these and you will know what to do.”

“Did he say anything else?”

“Just to trust you to do the right thing and he will be here as soon as he can tomorrow. He said that he has been busy and with a little help everything has fallen into place, whatever that means. I guess we will find out tomorrow.” Then she went to find Aaron, Asher and Joseph.

“What are you going to do Jacob? What can you do?” asked Kevin.

“Well it looks like Benjamin wasn't thinking very clearly. Unless he's moved his address is on these registration documents, so finding him should be fairly easy, I can check that out tonight. The first thing I'll do when I find him is give him his money back, he needs it. After that it's up to him, it depends on what help he needs and is happy to accept.”

“Is there anything Ian and I can do to help?”

“Yes, if Eli will stay with Shamira and the boys would you come with me? I think you could help me convince Benjamin to accept a little help.”

There were nods of agreement all round.

Eli and Joseph helped Shamira settle the twins in bed, each had a puppy sleeping at the bottom of their bed.

When Jacob stopped outside the address on the registration documents he realised this was not a good neighbourhood of Haifa and wondered if he had done right by bringing Ian and Kevin. He watched as a young man come out of a small rundown house and place a 'for sale' sign on an old Toyota car, he didn't look happy, a golden Labrador sat in the doorway of the house watching him.

Quietly Jacob approached, “Hey are you selling that car?”

The young man was startled. “Ye...yes, are you interested in buying it?” It was obvious the young man was nervous, his dog came up and nuzzled at his leg.

“I might be, it depends on how much your asking for it. Why are you selling it anyway?”

“I..I need the money, I have to finish school and look for a job, you know what it's like, things happen.” With his dog by his side he gained a little confidence. “How much are you offering?”

“Let my friends look at it first, then we'll talk about money.” Jacob signalled for Ian and Kevin to look the car over.

As Ian and Kevin came closer the young man recognised them in the little light that existed. “You're the people from the beach. How did you find me? What do you want? I'm sorry, please don't hurt me.” Benjamin was frightened, then surprised when his dog walked up to Kevin with her tail wagging, she sat in front of him and placed a paw on his thigh.

Kevin knelt to stroke the dog as Ian spoke up. “Benjamin we're not here to hurt you or cause you any trouble. Your address is on the pups registration documents that's how we found you. All we want is to speak to you and find out if we can help, it looks to me like you could do with a few friends.”

Jacob took a small wad of cash from his pocket and held it out. “Here, this is your money, take it back you need it.”

Taking the cash Benjamin stuttered, “Th...Th...Thank you.”

“Hey Benjamin,” Kevin smiled as he spoke, “Can we go into your house so we can talk?”

“Y...Yes, yes, please come in.” Benjamin led the way into the rundown house with his dog at his side.

An hour later Ian and Kevin accompanied Benjamin in his car following Jacob to the house on Hubert Humphry St. Not to be left out Ariel, Benjamin's dog, shared the back seat with Kevin. Jacob made a call to Shamira letting her know that they were returning and Benjamin was with them.

Benjamin was welcomed with warm hugs and a meal prepared by Eli. Shamira's motherly instincts took over as she learned of his life over the last few years. Sleeping arrangements were changed for the night, Shamira slept with the twins and Jacob shared with Benjamin in what had been Shamira's room. They would need to rethink when Isaac arrived the following day.

When they retired for the night Ariel would only settle on the floor between the twins beds, it was as if she felt her place was near her babies and their new charges.

Wow that's some find I hope the twins look after their new friends, I wonder what they will call them, or do they already have names, no I don't mean Benjamin and Ariel we know their names, lol. And what does Isaac mean that everything has fallen into place? What's been going on in the background? I think we will find out in the next chapter.
As all stories must this story is coming close to its end, but their will be more coming in The Boot World in the coming months. Other non-connected stories are also in the pipe-line so keep following for updates.
I hope that everyone is still enjoying the story as much as I am writing it, be sure to leave a reaction and/or comment to let know, I promise all comments will be read and acknowledged as they mean a lot.
I have written this without the aid of an editor or beta reader so any mistakes are all mine, if you spot any let me know and I'll try to put them right.
Copyright © 2022 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 8
I love to see what readers feel by the reactions that they leave so please hit that button to leave your initial reaction.
What I enjoy more than reactions is to read any comments that readers care to leave. Promise to read and acknowledge 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hard times can hit when you least expect them & to find new potential friends would be a godsend to anyone when they strike.!! Lovely chapter! ❤

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Freemantleman said:

Hard times can hit when you least expect them & to find new potential friends would be a godsend to anyone when they strike.!! Lovely chapter! ❤

@Freemantleman it's good to see your still me and enjoying the story.

Without realising it Benjamin has met some good people, he is yet to find out how good.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Freemantleman said:

Loving the story!! Keep going!! 🤩🌈🌈🌈

Thank you for the encouragement it means a lot to me.

This story is coming close to the end - for now - but there will be more stories to come in The Boot World in the future where we will hear more about our favourite characters. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Benjamin is a very loving and honorable young man.  It sounds as if he is one small step away from being homeless.  I hope they are able to help him.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, raven1 said:

Benjamin is a very loving and honorable young man.  It sounds as if he is one small step away from being homeless.  I hope they are able to help him.

They will do what comes naturally to them, we all know that will be something good.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I was wondering when Benjamin was going to make an appearance and voila he arrives.

I was ready to loathe the person who abandoned Arieh (meaning lion) and Velvel (meaning little wolf), but when it was revealed what was provided for their immediate care and the reason for their abandonment, I softened my detestation of this person to some degree. I still think what Benjamin did was foolish at best, but his remorse was genuine, and he made an effort to ensure they were likely to be taken care of. 

@Mancunian when you wrote of the puppies’ abandonment and the circumstances which led to this my allergies suddenly "exploded" again. Benjamin's reduced circumstances were such that he would not have been able to adequately care for the puppies and he must be commended for recognising this and for his attempts to address this. It was fortunate for the puppies that his choice of potential family proved to be a good one. I look forward to the events which result in him migrating to the UK too.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

I was wondering when Benjamin was going to make an appearance and voila he arrives.

I was ready to loathe the person who abandoned Arieh (meaning lion) and Velvel (meaning little wolf), but when it was revealed what was provided for their immediate care and the reason for their abandonment, I softened my detestation of this person to some degree. I still think what Benjamin did was foolish at best, but his remorse was genuine, and he made an effort to ensure they were likely to be taken care of. 

@Mancunian when you wrote of the puppies’ abandonment and the circumstances which led to this my allergies suddenly "exploded" again. Benjamin's reduced circumstances were such that he would not have been able to adequately care for the puppies and he must be commended for recognising this and for his attempts to address this. It was fortunate for the puppies that his choice of potential family proved to be a good one. I look forward to the events which result in him migrating to the UK too.

Unfortunately, many people do experience hard times but it is a fact of life. Benjamin's actions may not have been well thought out but they were not intended as cruel, as luck would have it he chose a family full of love and understanding. Please @Summerabbacat, take care of those 'allergies'.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..