Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 3,701 Words
  • 7,771 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Master and Commander - 32. Chapter 32

June, 1795

Granger stared at Spencer, waiting for him to explain. A frigate, one like Aurore! He'd dreamed of this day ever since he'd first stepped on board the Barracuda as a mere midshipman. He shook off his euphoria. He could enjoy that later, when he was alone. “I met her third lieutenant in the waiting room, my lord. He said there were some problems aboard, but refused to say more.”

“He shouldn't have even said that,” Spencer snarled. “Should have cashiered him along with the second lieutenant.”

“What were the problems, my lord?” Granger asked. If she was to be his ship, he had a right to know what they were.

“Actually there were two problems. Rampant sodomy and mutiny.” Granger just stared at him, unable to say anything. “Perhaps you'd like to hear Lieutenant Grafton explain things first hand? Then you can decide if you want to keep him aboard.”

“I'd like that. Thank you, my lord,” Granger said. While Spencer was ringing the bell, Granger paused to think about the situation. Rampant sodomy? Was Spencer giving him this ship because they suspected he was a sodomite? Granger shook that off. If they thought that, they wouldn't appoint him to her because they'd want to eradicate it. But mutiny? Granger had only been on one mutinous ship before, the Desperate, a lovely little ship with a crew driven to the brink by a mad captain and a sadistic first lieutenant. Is that what happened here?

Belvidera is the best frigate in her class, probably the best frigate period. She's heavily armed and well built. The French evidently experimented with her, trying to make their ships stronger, so she's got the scantlings of a larger ship. We thought that might make her a bit heavy, but I've heard no complaints about her handling or speed,” Spencer said. “She should be given to a more senior captain, but I'm giving her to you instead.”

“I appreciate your confidence, my lord,” Granger said lamely.

“I'm not being altruistic. I've got a great ship with a bad reputation, and a newly minted captain with a good one. Either your reputation will cleanse that of the Belvidera, or her reputation will tarnish yours. It is up to you as to how that works out,” Spencer said.

“I understand, my lord,” Granger said. Before the conversation could continue, a very nervous Lieutenant Grafton entered the room.

“Have a seat Grafton,” Spencer snarled. “I've asked Captain Granger here to listen to our interview. I've appointed him as the new captain of the Belvidera.”

Grafton actually smiled at that. Now that truly was flattering. “Congratulations sir,” he said to Granger.

“What happened?” Spencer demanded, pushing the pleasantries aside. “Explain these allegations of rampant sodomy!” Granger paused, horrified. Had Grafton made the allegations?

“My lord, there wasn't rampant sodomy on the ship. It was confined exclusively to the captain and first lieutenant,” Grafton said defensively.

“They were lovers?” Granger asked, unable to restrain himself. Spencer glared at him, reminding him who was doing the interviewing.

Grafton answered his question anyway. “No sir. They'd brought on board a number of ship's boys and the captain would entertain them in his cabin with the first lieutenant.”

“This is hearsay?” Spencer demanded.

“No my lord. I witnessed it myself. We had just come upon a gale and I was requesting permission to take in a reef in the mainsails. I sent a messenger to see the captain but the guard wouldn't let him past, so I went down myself.” He swallowed hard, collecting his thoughts. “I bullied the guard into letting me in, and I found an orgy in progress, my lord. It was like a Bacchanalia. The captain and first lieutenant were penetrating two of the lads my lord.” Granger and Spencer just stared at him, stunned and horrified.

“Did any of the other officers participate?” Spencer asked, breaking the uncomfortable silence. In other words, he was asking if Grafton participated.

“Not to my knowledge, my lord.” Grafton swallowed hard before going on. “After that the captain let me know he was displeased with me.”

“So you fomented mutiny?” Spencer asked.

“No my lord, no, not at all. I could never do that,” he said so sincerely that Granger could see that Spencer believed him. He certainly did. He seemed really uncomfortable, and Granger could tell why. He didn't want to betray his captain, lest his new captain think him a spy.

“Mr. Grafton, please speak candidly. It will not affect my opinion of you. I would always expect my officers to answer questions posed by their Lordships,” Granger said. This time Spencer gave him an approving look.

“Thank you sir. The captain had a cruel streak. It was rare for more than two days to go by without a flogging. He treated his boys well, but not the rest of the ship's company. Those two things, my lord, the excessive punishments and the favoritism shown to his boys, pushed the men to the brink.”

“Was the crew aware of their captain's habits?” Spencer asked.

“Yes my lord, although I don't think they witnessed it like I did. No one talked to me, my lord. No one talked to anyone. It was not a happy ship.” He gulped again. “After I walked in on the captain, I approached the second lieutenant, Mr. West, and asked him for advice. He went straight to the captain and I ended up on watch and watch, where I had to spend my off-watch hours at the mizzen masthead.”

Granger looked at Grafton, then at Spencer. So the poor man was on watch for four hours, then he was forced to spend his four hours off sitting aloft, and then he'd repeat the cycle. “How long did this punishment last?” Spencer asked.

“It was only effective during the weekdays, my lord. I was permitted to sleep during the weekends. The punishment started about a month before the mutiny, my lord, and it lasted the whole time.” This was stunning cruelty.

“Did you not think to report these transgressions?” Spencer asked.

“To whom?” Grafton snapped, and then he remembered who he was talking to. “Begging your pardon my lord, but we were at sea, stationed off the Texel,” Grafton said. “There was no one to tell.” He paused while they digested that. “So things got worse and worse for the men, until finally one of the captain's boys turned up dead. He was a cocky thing, my lord, and worked hard to antagonize the men, but he didn't deserve to die. So the captain became furious and threatened to flog every man, a hundred lashes, until someone spoke up and turned in the killer. That may seem like an idle threat, my lord, but I believed he'd do it and so did the men.”

“Is that when the crew mutinied?” he asked.

“Yes my lord. That night. They went into the Captain's cabin and he was having one of his parties. They killed him and the first lieutenant, my lord. I saw some commotion and was able to raise the marines. We were able to retake the ship, but the mutineers, about 30 men my lord, escaped in a boat.”

“You did not think to seize them?” Spencer demanded.

“No my lord. We were on a lee shore and the whole situation was confused. The men were very sullen, so getting any of them to even go aloft required the marines to fix their bayonets,” Grafton said. “After that, we sailed to find the offshore squadron, my lord, but when we didn't locate those ships we headed to the Nore. Belvidera is anchored there now.”

Granger understood the situation all too clearly. Captains had God-like power, and this captain had used his to torment his crew. He noticed that Spencer was looking at him sharply. “My lord, I'd like to keep Mr. Grafton aboard, if possible.” Grafton would be a good link to the past, horrible as it was, and could keep an eye on the crew as he would know most of them. The gratitude in his eyes was overwhelming.

“I'll let you off the hook this time Grafton, if only because of the letter you sent itemizing these things. He's your problem now, Granger.”

“Yes my lord,” Granger said. “Mr. Grafton, what is Belvidera's current complement?”

“With desertions and the mutineers gone, we're about one hundred men short,” Grafton said sullenly.

“My lord, what is to happen to Intrepid's company?” Granger asked.

“You want me to transfer the crew over?” Spencer asked, seeing Granger's motive.

“Yes my lord. It would give me a good core of loyal men, not that these men are necessarily disloyal, but the crew of the Intrepid would at least be a positive influence,” Granger said.

Spencer looked at him, then at Grafton. “That will be all Mr. Grafton. You may return to your ship.”

“Aye aye my lord,” Grafton said, and left.

“I think he's got the makings of a good officer,” Spencer said. “That and he's well-connected politically. His father is an influential Tory.” Spencer got up and poured them both a glass of port. There was another shoe to drop. “I'm sending you back to the Far East.” Granger hid his disappointment. He did not want to go back to India. He did not want to be away from home for over a year.

“I will go where you send me, my lord,” Granger said.

“I may have some ruffled feathers over making you post so soon and for appointing you to the Belvidera, even with her bad reputation. I'm sending you out East again to assuage the jealousy, and to make my life easier. And I want Belvidera gone, so when this story breaks, it can be sensationalized and then forgotten by the time you get back.”

“I understand my lord,” Granger said. His penance for getting such a fantastic ship was that he'd be sailing halfway around the world in her. “When will I be expected to sail?”

“I can give you two weeks, maybe three, but no more. Your orders will be drafted in the meantime,” Spencer said.

“I can sail in two weeks, my lord, but it would be helpful if I could transfer my men and officers over from the Intrepid,” Granger said boldly. He couldn't believe he was sitting here bargaining with the First Lord. It was as if he was saying ‘If you want me gone in two weeks, give me the men on Intrepid’. Well, he thought, anything worth having is worth asking for.

“Even the warrant officers eh?” he asked.

“Yes my lord, if you would be so generous,” Granger said.

“What are you going to do with the bad apples you discover along the way?” Spencer asked playfully.

“I shall have to catch a prize so I can send them back to Your Lordship,” Granger said with his cheeky smile.

“Very well. You can transfer Intrepid's company and officers over wholesale. I'm assuming that you'll want to retain Calvert as your first lieutenant?” Spencer asked. What was this about?

“Yes my lord,” Granger said perhaps a bit too adamantly. To go to sea with anyone else would be unthinkable after all they'd been through together.

“I'll send your orders over to Bridgemont House. Your new home is not quite ready yet, from what I gather,” Spencer said.

“You have me at a disadvantage, my lord. I have not been home yet,” Granger said.

“Well you can correct that at once. Good day Captain,” he said.

“Thank you, my lord,” Granger said, and headed out to find the crowd still there, only this time his father's carriage was waiting. He pushed past the people and climbed in for the short ride home.


 

They knew he was coming and they were waiting for him, his parents, Caroline, and his son and daughter. Even Freddie was there. Granger had learned his lesson, had heeded his grandfather's advice, so the first person he went to was Caroline, giving her a warm hug and embrace. His son was too young to remember him, but he played with the gold epaulet on his uniform, while his daughter was still in swaddling clothes.

“So you are home for a while George?” his mother asked.

“No Mother. I'm only here for two weeks, and then I'll be off for a while,” Granger said sadly. It was a genuine emotion; he did not want to go to India and beyond, he wanted to stay home. But orders were orders.

“So soon?” Caroline asked, almost a gasp.

“I fear so. But I am hoping to make the most of our time together,” he said to her lovingly, relishing the surprise, the pleasant surprise on her face. “I've been given command of a frigate.”

Then their sadness changed to happiness. Granger paused to wonder about this, his world, where ambition and advancement reigned supreme. “They're posting you?” the earl asked.

“Yes Father. I'll go read myself in tomorrow, and then I'll be on the list,” Granger said, grinning. Dinner came about conveniently, since Granger hadn't had time to eat for a while. He took the opportunity to fill his family in on his trip to Antigua and Philadelphia, and told them about his interview with Spencer.

“So it's a ship full of sodomites?” Freddie asked scornfully. Caroline looked at him, worried. He wondered what she knew about him, or what she'd guessed on her own.

“No, it was only the captain and first lieutenant, along with some of the ship's boys. They are all gone, and there are no indications that anyone else is a sodomite,” Granger said, irritated. That seemed to squelch the discussion.

Finally he dropped the other shoe. “My orders will take me back to the East.”

“To India?” the earl asked. He saw Caroline trying not to cry.

“Yes, to India. It seems that it's part of my reward for such a nice vessel. I'll have to be away for a long time,” he said. He was talking to his parents and Freddie, but the words were meant for Caroline.

“We knew this would happen,” Caroline said calmly. “It is what you must do, it is your duty. But it will be sad to see you go, and I will miss you.” Granger felt his heart go out to her.

“I will miss you too.” Dinner couldn't end soon enough after that, and he and Caroline headed up to their room with indecent speed. Granger didn't care about that, his family would understand.

They entered their room and Granger closed the door behind them, and she was in his arms, their lips met, and it was as meaningful as it had ever been. He made love to her, taking time to work her body, making it respond to his touches, to his lips, to his tongue, until they came together in a massive explosion of love.

He lay in bed with her, holding her close to his chest, thinking about how lucky he was to have a wife like her. He felt tears on his chest and leaned down to kiss them away. “Why are you crying? You're not happy to see me?” he teased.

“I am, but I have been dreading your return,” she said.

“Why?” Granger asked, concerned, scared, panicked, the emotions got stronger as the silence went on. Had she found another lover and was he now simply in the way?

“I thought you'd hate me. I thought you'd come home and tell me you never wanted to see me again,” she sobbed.

“Because you had Calvert transferred?” he asked. All she could do was nod. “I was really mad at you, especially when Zenith sank and he almost died. It was really easy to blame you for it. He was so weak, and when I looked at him, it seemed as if you were the one who almost killed him. That is why my letters were so cold and unfeeling.” He paused to stroke her hair and kiss her as she sobbed, really sobbed.

“So why don't you hate me? Not that I'm complaining,” she said, trying to joke.

“Because it was my fault. Because I ignored you, neglected you. I am sorry, Caroline, for not taking better care of your feelings,” he said. “But that doesn’t absolve you from working behind my back to have members of my crew transferred. While, as my wife, you have every right to look after my career, you do not have the right to blithely rearrange another person’s life to suit yourself.” She looked up at him and her eyes lit up, lit up at the fact that not only was he not mad at her, he understood her and why she did what she did. But he also made it clear that she wasn’t to meddle in such a fashion again. His understanding only went so far. “I love you dearly. You mean the world to me. It was hard, after being gone so long, to slip back into my life with you. It's so new to me, and I wasn't ready for it. I didn't know what to do. I will do better from now on.”

“We are learning to be married, to be a couple,” she said. “There is no training for it; it is all trial and error. It seems we have both erred, and you have forgiven me, and I have forgiven you.” She leaned forward to kiss him again, and they coupled, expressing their love again.

Granger lay there, euphoric, enjoying his wife and their connection when she cut him off at the knees. “He loves you.”

“Pardon me?” Granger asked.

“Lieutenant Calvert. He loves you,” she said.

“We have become close friends,” Granger said, trying to divert the issue.

“No George, he loves you like I love you. It is a romantic, passionate love,” she said. Granger lay there, unwilling or unable to say anything. What could he say? She was right, she had seen it. He sighed, his favorite gesture of exasperation, one that he tried to avoid using, but this time, now, he decided it was allowed.

“Yes,” he said simply.

“And you love him back,” she said. He swallowed hard, wondering what the next few minutes would bring. Ecstasy or oblivion.

“Yes,” he said. She looked up at him, her eyes wide and full of tears. “But it does not mean I love you any less.”

“I feel like a fool,” she said angrily. “Why did you marry me if you don't like women?”

“Don’t be idiotic, Caroline! I like women,” Granger said. “I love you. Did not the ancient Greeks and Romans have male lovers in addition to their wives?”

“I don't know if you've noticed this George, but we're not Greek and we're not Roman,” Caroline said in a very irritated tone, yet it was funny at the same time and he couldn't stop himself from laughing.

“Can I have male lovers if I wear a toga?” he teased. She glared at him, but there was a twinkle of amusement in her eyes. “I'm sorry Caroline. I thought I made you happy, uh, physically.”

“I didn't say that you did not,” she argued. “That's not what this is about. It's about love and commitment. You're having an affair and you're admitting it. I should be outraged!”

“But you aren't,” Granger said.

“No, I'm not. I let myself fall in love with you and now I can't hate you even when I want to. This would be so much easier if it were another woman,” she said.

“I think you would find it worse,” he said. “If it was another woman, you would wonder what you didn't do that made me want to sleep with someone else. And the answer to that is nothing. I can promise you, sincerely and honestly, that I will never sleep with another woman. I haven't and I won't. I love you completely; I am wholly and happily committed to you. We have a son and a daughter, beautiful children. We have a palace that you must show me tomorrow, and a country estate that will rival all but the King's. We have scads of money. We are young and healthy. The only fly in the ointment is that I like to have sex with men. If you want to divorce me, I won't fight you. But I don't want that,” Granger said sincerely.

“I don't want to divorce you George. That's the last thing on my mind right now.” She sighed. “So what happens when you're gone for years at a time and I meet a man that I fancy? Can I sleep with him? What will you say about that?”

Granger cringed. “It will bother me, just like it bothers you when I am with another, but it would be unfair for me to object. I would expect you to be discreet, and to be careful. If you got pregnant while I was away, that would be difficult to explain.”

“Just as I would expect you to be discreet, and to be careful,” Caroline sighed. “I don't want other men George, I only want you.”

“And you're the only woman I want,” Granger said.

“I guess I will have to make do with that,” she said.

“I will try to make it as pleasant as possible,” he said, grinning at her, and then he made love to her yet again, sealing their informal agreement with bodily fluids.

END

Copyright © 2011 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That was an interesting end - so his sodomite tendencies are well known to Caroline? I like her reaction, she knew but it wasn't until he said so for sure that she knew. Calvert better be at his most charming self if this is going to work - assuming all the looks he is getting from folks aren't a hint.

 

Strikes me that if Sir Richard knows - and he is so far away - that Spencer knows, Jervis too. If Arthur and Caroline separated the pair for their own good - seems that Spencer would and will do the same to keep his golden boy from making headlines for anything but sensational heroics. No one needs him disgraced and hung.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Command of a frigate. A chance to clear her name and shame, to make his mark as her Captain and restore her to glory. His wife now knows and still wants him. But in return he is off to India once more. He has Calvert and his old crew with him, which should give him a fighting chance. This was your best in the series, thank you ever so much.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Another wonderful part in George Granger´s story. At some point I was think what a slut George is, he´s been having sex with so many men, but he is still a teenager after all :rolleyes:

Not much of a family life. Gone for 15 months, back two weeks and off he goes again. Not sure it was a wise thing to do, to tell Caroline. Hopefully everything goes well for Granger and Calvert on their way to India. Really enjoying the whole story. :P

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I am thoroughly taken with the story and its characters. Masterfully told (except for some unfortunate Americanisms - so fun!!!!), romantically and passionately appealing, though I did think the final words of this book were a bit crass, their new arrangement being sealed with "bodily fluids". How below the belt can you get? Well, no matter really. That can be forgiven against all the good things this story brings. I am really looking forward to the next book, though this is a huge distraction and I will have to discipline myself in order not to get carried away with time. But thank you so very much for writing and sharing.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Now, more than in their wedding, the partnership between George and Caroline was truly formed. They understand each other, and will build a powerful family.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Honesty with Caroline will be good for their long term relationship.  George's promise to not sleep with another woman was reassuring.  The fact he is making her first priority when he is home will be good for her also.  It should be another interesting trip of adventure to India.  Maybe George and Calvert will actually get to see more of the country.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Off to India again.

Now he is completely honest with Caroline and they have set the boundaries of their relationship. George can be guilt free.

Thank you for this thrilling story, Mark!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..