Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 3,628 Words
  • 2,683 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Death by Dreaming - 19. Chapter 19

When they got back to the estate Angel characteristically refused to go back to his room. The fresh air seemed to have revived him considerably and he announced that he was hungry. After a little half hearted resistance Charlie and Marcus took him to the kitchen where he was all but smothered by Betty.

Pushing him back she regarded him critically.

“You’ve lost weight and there is precious little there of you to start with. Go and sit in the conservatory in the sun and I’ll bring you some nourishing soup and warm crusty bread. You be sure to finish every drop or I’ll take it out of your hide.”

Angel hugged her, laughing. “Whatever you say boss.”

Betty smiled then sobered. “We all love you Master Angel, you know that I hope. We have been worried.”

Hugging her again Angel rested his cheek against her hair and murmured. “I know. I love you too. I don’t know what I would have done without you, all of you, this last year.”

“It was our pleasure. Now go and rest in the conservatory. I’ll bring the soup when it’s warm.”

“Thanks Betty.”

This time they all knew that he wasn’t thanking her for just the lunch.

It was very pleasant in the conservatory. Outside the sun was shining and they threw open the patio doors to let in the breeze. Angel sat in a chair with his feet up on a footstool and thought that recent events were almost worth it... almost... for this. He felt calm and at peace in a way he hadn’t for a long time.

Sometime during his stay in the hospital he had come to a realisation. Life was short. It was brutal. It was unexpected. No one ever knew what was round the corner. His parents had both been torn from this life well before their time. They were young, strong, rich and happy. They had everything, and everything to look forward to. Then they were gone.

It seemed almost as if a mirror had been held up to his own mortality and he had been forced to realise that his health problems were not just going to go away. If he was lucky he could manage them and live a normal life, for forty, fifty years, maybe more but he was always going to have to be careful and his luck could run out at any time.

There was no room in his life for the stresses and worries that had been overwhelming him lately. He had amassed a good team of people who were going to be onside as soon as they could and he was confident that he had done everything he could to ensure that as soon as the business was his it would not only hold its own but also forge ahead in the way he wanted it to and not the way Charles had been heading it these last seven years.

Losing a few investors would be a blow but not an insurmountable one and to be honest there was room for some dead wood to be pared away. Before Charles had snatched the laptop from him the day before he had made some connections and was fairly certain that things were going to be alright. He had some surprises up his sleeve and not only Charles was in for an eye opener come October.

In fact he had done everything he could have, everything anyone could have to make sure that his birthday was going to be an explosive one for many people in many different ways. He smiled thinking about it and then sighed happily, relaxing back into the soft cushions. Now all he had to do was sit back and wait for the fireworks to begin.

“That was a big sigh.”

“Yeah... but it was a happy one. Life’s good. So much better than I thought it would ever be again.”

“Glad to hear it.” Marcus was a little surprised but pleased nevertheless. Angel looked happy. He had colour in his cheeks again and a smile played about the corners of his mouth. True he was still pale and looked gaunt but he was himself again, more so than he had been for a very long time.

Their eyes met and they both smiled. Marcus felt a warmth begin deep inside and it spread rapidly, bursting out in a smile that made Angel look a little dazed even as he was returning it with an equally bright one of his own.

Betty interrupted them with her tray of hot soup and warm bread. The smell was incredible and for what seemed like the first time in the longest time Angel attacked it with gusto, although he still didn’t manage to eat more than half the bowl.

When he was done he put he bowl and spoon back on the tray and sat back with a sigh, closing his eyes.

“Are you tired?”

“Not tired exactly. Full, contented, sleepy.” He opened his eyes and smiled. “If I was a cat I would be purring.”

“Hehe. Why don’t you go up and lie on your bed for a while?”

“That sounds like a good idea, but to do that I would have to get from here to there and I am too laz to move.”

“I could always carry you.”

“Yeah right.”

“Why don’t you just take a nap here? Do you think you can stir your lazy bones over to the sofa?”

“I could try.”

Angel unfolded like a cat and prowled over to the sofa. He sat down and then stretched out with his head on Marcus’ lap. He sighed with contentment as Marcus stroked his hair and for a long moment started up at him, lost in his face, before his eyes closed and he drifted off, still with the smile on his face.

“What time is it?”

“Two o’clock.”

“We have an hour before the Bishops leave.”

“With a bit of luck Angel will sleep though and he won’t wonder where we are.”

“I think he’ll sleep for a while. He still looks half drugged.”

“There’s something about that whole situation that... I don’t know... felt wrong.”

“I know what you mean.” Marcus stared down into Angel’s calm, open, sleeping face. “He seems fine but... It was all so fast and strange.”

“But Dr Cole wouldn’t have agreed to let him out if he didn’t think he was up to it.”

“True.” Marcus stroked Angel’s face and he didn’t stir. “But I still have a bad feeling about this. I would have been so much happier if he had stayed at the hospital until we’d got the evidence on Charles and sorted out the Bishops.”

“I know what you mean. But he’s safe here isn’t he? I mean the Bishops are going to be away for most of the afternoon and hopefully by the time they come back we’ll be in a position to sort things out once and for all.”

“I hope so.”

They sat quietly for about half an hour until Charlton arrived to announce that was an important telephone call for Marcus which he had arranged to be taken in the study.

“A call? From whom?”

“The young gentleman didn’t say, Sir. He was most insistent that he wanted to speak to you as soon as possible. He indicated that it might have something to do with Master Angel.”

“Angel? What...?”

“I’m afraid he didn’t say, Sir. He did mention Lady Charlotte also but it was you he was most keen to speak to.”

Charlie and Marcus exchanged glances uneasily.

“Do you want me to come too?”

“I’m not comfortable with leaving Angel here on his own.”

“He’s fast asleep. What could happen?”

“I would be happy to send someone to check on Master Angel. Rest assured he’ll be safe.”

“Thank you Charlton.”

Part curious and part uneasy Charlie and Marcus hurried to the study leaving Angel asleep on the sofa with a rug tucked around him. Marcus had lingered for a long moment, reluctant to leave him, nervous for some reason, edgy for no good reason other than that everything that had happened in the last few days had left him there... on the edge.

Before he left he bent down and gently kissed Angel on the lips. They twitched into a smile under his but Angel didn’t wake, he simply sighed and settled deeper into the pillows.

Impatient and unsettled Marcus lifted the receiver and pressed the ‘hold’ button.

“Yes? This is Marcus Sheldon. What can I do for you?”

“Marcus? I... I’m sorry. I... I’m really I didn’t speak up at the party but... Henry... you know what Henry’s like. I... I just couldn’t...”

The voice fell silent and Marcus frowned. It didn’t sound familiar. “I’m sorry but who are you?”

“I’m... my name is Richard Armstrong, I’m a friend of Henry’s.” Richard laughed shortly, “Well ‘friend’ probably isn’t the right word. I’m his current whipping boy. I’m actually a friend of Arthur... or I was until Henry...”

“Alright... I know who you are, now what do you want. You appreciate that the fact you are a friend of Henry Bishop doesn’t raise you in my estimation right now.”

“I... I know. That’s why... Look... I was at the party. I saw what happened to Angel and I... I’ve been thinking about it ever since. I can’t help but think... I mean... You two are... you’re... you know... lovers aren’t you?”

“If you’ve called to abuse me, or to...”

“No... no you misunderstand. I mean... I know how you... I’m... Look I’m making a huge mess of this.” He took a deep breath. “I’m not going to mock or abuse you for being gay Marcus... I... please don’t say anything to Henry but... I’m... well I’m not ‘out’ you see and...”

“Okay... don’t worry I’m not in the habit of having heart to hearts with Henry Bishop. He’s not going to hear anything about your private life from me.”

“Thank you.” Richard sounded relieved. “The thing is... Henry’s been shooting his mouth off. The things he’s been saying about you... I thought you should know and...”

“What kind of things?”

“You know... the usual... about you and Angel being... calling you names... you know.”

“Yes, I think I have the picture. Is that what you were calling to tell me? That Henry has been telling the world that Angel and I are dirty fags?”

“No.”

“Then what? Please get to the point. I appreciate this is no the easiest call you have ever made but I am fully aware of the ‘rumours’ that are spreading about us and a pretty good idea where they are coming from. This really isn’t any news to me.”

Marcus heard Richard take a deep breath. “I know what happened to Angel.”

“What? What do you mean?”

“I saw it. I saw Rafe give Henry something, a twist of paper. Henry tipped the powder into a drink and he said he was going to give it to Angel. He was laughing about it. I... maybe I should have said something but I didn’t.

“He went off with the drink and when he came back Angel was with him... he was in a terrible state and I still didn’t say anything.”

Richard paused and there was silence. Marcus was stunned. He didn’t know what to do with the information.

“Henry was a beast Marcus. He... Angel was out of it... he could barely stand and Henry... he called him names and they pushed him about, from one to another. They didn’t... they didn’t hurt him, not really but he was so... I should have stopped it but I was scared. I was afraid that if I said anything they would turn on me next.

“Some of the girls were... you know... rubbing themselves up against him, kissing him, making him... put his hands on them. He didn’t resist. I don’t think he knew where he was or what he was doing. They... did things.”

“What do you mean ‘did things’?” Marcus’ voice was dripping ice and Richard stopped, scared. “Richard, I appreciate that it must have been hard for you to call me and tell me this. Trust me, I am not blaming you for this but I need to know. What did they do? What did they do to Angel?”

“Nothing really bad. They just... the girls rubbed themselves against him and they... they took his trousers down and... well... I can’t Marcus... I can’t but you know.”

Marcus was silent, completely silent.

“What is it Marcus? What did he say? What’s he saying?”

Charlie put a hand on his arm but Marcus was completely frozen.

“Marcus?”

With both Richard and Charlie’s voices urgent in his ears he forced himself to drag his attention back to the present, away from that night, from the picture in his head of a helpless Angel, drugged and confused, in the hands of people who cared nothing for him, who mocked him and abused him while he had no idea what was going on, no way to fight back.

“Thank you Richard. I think you’ve said enough. You realise that I can’t let this go? I can’t let Henry get away with that.”

“What... what are you going to do?”

“I’m not sure yet but I would be grateful if you kept quiet about this for now... until I have decided. I assume that you will be prepared to confirm this to the authorities if necessary.”

There was dead silence on the end of the phone and Marcus grew uneasy. “Richard?”

“No... I can’t. It’s enough that I have told you. If Henry found out he would kill me... literally kill me. I’m sorry Marcus. I was feeling guilty and I had to tell someone. I’ve told you and that’s it. I won’t... I can’t do any more. I’m sorry.”

“For fuck sake Richard... Richard... Damn!”

Marcus replaced the phone and stared at Charlie, his face pale. “What is it with these people who give me information they then tell me I can’t use it? I am full of information, sick to death of it. I would almost prefer not to know than to know but not be able to DO anything.”

Charlie put her arm around Marcus who was changing from a sickly white to a muted green. “Fuck Charlie... FUCK!!! What did they do to him... what did they DO?”

“Calm down Marcus. I didn’t hear the conversation. I don’t know what you are talking about.”

Quickly Marcus filled her in on the gist of the conversation and she turned as pale as he was.

“What do you think...? I mean surely they wouldn’t have...?”

“I wouldn’t put anything past that bastard. No wonder they were all smirking at us. They were vile, all of them.”

“Well at least Richard told you about it... at least he has some pang of guilt. At least now you know.”

“Do you think that helps? Do you really think that helps? I can’t DO anything with it. Sure I could pound Henry, even track down his friends and pound them too but what good would it do?”

“There’s only one thing we can do.”

Marcus looked up and Charlie winced at the pain in his eyes.

“We can find the evidence and nail the whole bastard lot of them.”

Marcus smiled. It was a small tight smile but it was a smile. Charlie put her arms around him and they sat in silence for a while.

“What if Angel finds out?”

“How is he going to find out?”

“What if Henry tells him, or one of his friends.” Suddenly he sat bolt upright. “Oh my god Charlie... what if they took photographs... what if it gets onto the internet... what if that’s what Charles was talking about this morning?”

“Then we deal with it. Calm down Marcus. Whatever happens we’ll deal with it. Everyone knows what happened to Angel. If Henry does anything as stupid as posting things on the internet then he would be as good as admitting that he had something to do with it. Not even Henry is that stupid.”

“I don’t know. I tend to think that Henry is that stupid.”

“Well then let him hang himself.”

“But he’ll hang Angel with him.”

“No he won’t because everyone who knows Angel will know the truth and anyone who doesn’t, doesn’t matter. Beside we will be here for him.”

“I know...but I also know how vulnerable Angel is right now. I don’t want anything to hurt him... I just don’t want him to be hurt any more.”

“I know. I know that darling, neither do I.”

Again they sat in silence for a while until they were startled by a loud rap on the door. Without waiting for a response the door opened to admit Charlton. He looked grim.

“The Bishops have left, Sir. They went out through their own entrance and I wasn’t aware that their departure was imminent or I would have warned you sooner.”

“That’s alright Charlton. We have plenty of time until they get back. It won’t take that long to search the private study.”

“I think you misunderstand, Sir and unsurprisingly so as I have only given you part of the news.”

“I don’t understand.”

“They have taken Master Angel with them, Sir.”

“Angel? They’ve taken Angel? To the church thing... why?”

“I have no idea, Sir. I sent one of the staff to check on him and Master Charles was with him. As I understand it Master Angel was expressing a desire to accompany him. He indicated that he would welcome some fresh air and the distraction of a garden party.”

“But why didn’t he come and tell us? Why did he just go with them and not tell us?”

“I’m afraid I can’t answer that, Sir. Would you like to speak to the member of staff who spoke with him?”

“Yes... yes I would. I would like that very much, as soon as possible please.”

As soon as the door closed Marcus slammed his hand down on the table. “What the fuck? What the FUCK!!”

“Easy Marcus. It’s only a garden party at a church. All the local dignitaries will be there. Maybe Angel will have a good time.”

“He’s just out of the hospital. He’s still doped. He chose to go off with the Bishops without even telling us. And there’s nothing about all of that which makes you feel in the slightest bit uneasy?”

“Uneasy isn’t the word for it Marcus. I’m scared. But I don’t see there is anything we can do about it, short of running after them and if we do that we can’t search here.”

Marcus went still. “Shit!!!”

“What?”

“Do you think he’s got an inkling we’re on to him... Charles? Maybe he’s worried that we’ll search the house when he’s gone so he took Angel to make us follow... so that we miss the prime opportunity to search.”

“It's possible I suppose, although I don’t know how he would know that.”

“Hmm... I may have given Henry a clue or two.” Marcus frowned. “Shit... what should we do?”

“I don’t know... maybe...”

Again they were interrupted by a tap on the door and Charlton entered, accompanied by a young man that they had seen around the house now and again. He swallowed uncomfortably and glanced at Charlton for reassurance.

Charlton nodded encouragingly. “Go on Peters, tell them what you saw.”

“I... er I... I went into the conservatory to check on Master Angel, just like Mr Charlton asked me to. Master Charles was in there with him. They were both standing by the window. Master Charles asked Master Angel if he would rather stay here at the house and he... he said... no, that he would like to get some fresh air and that a church party sounded good. He said that he wasn’t up to much partying but some gentle socialising would be good for him.”

“How did he seem?”

“Seem, Sir?”

“Did he look as if he was being forced to go?”

“Oh no, Sir. He was willing. Master Charles asked if he wanted to stay and he said no.”

“Did he seem... himself?”

“Himself, Sir?”

“Angel’s been ill... he’s been... not himself. Did he seem... alright?”

“Well... He did seem... a little... um...” The young man swallowed heavily and looked around. “He seemed a little... odd.”

“What do you mean... odd?”

“I don’t know. I can’t explain. It’s as if he was... far away.”

“He’s still half drugged from the hospital. He shouldn’t have gone. Charles took advantage of him. He must have been able to tell that he wasn’t himself. Bugger. Fuck.”

The young man looked alarmed at Marcus’ violent reaction. He turned his face to Charlton and the butler nodded to him. “You may go Peters. Well done.”

“Yes... I’m sorry... Look... it wasn’t your fault. I wasn’t shouting at you... I’m just frustrated. Thank you.”

Peters smiled but still looked vastly relieved as he ran for the door.

“So what are we going to do?”

“We’re going to search. Angel is ok. They won’t do anything stupid in front of all those churchy people. They might give him a hard time in the car but to be honest he’s so spaced out at the moment he probably won’t even notice.

“No... the most important thing... the MOST important thing is to find that evidence and get them out of the picture for good.”

“So what are we waiting for?”

“Do you have the access codes to the East Wing Charlton?”

“Of course, Sir. If you would like to follow me.”

Copyright © 2010 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Angry 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Buggers, do you know what you are doing to me, lol. I'm on the edge of my seat here and should be going to bed for sleep but I can't cause I'm so wound up in this story. ohmy.png Its all good. Nothing like a nail biting, edge of your seat panich stricken story to keep you enthralled. Wow, you are good at this...Amazingly so! Hats off to you!!!!

Link to comment
On 09/18/2012 02:18 PM, CW Prince said:
Buggers, do you know what you are doing to me, lol. I'm on the edge of my seat here and should be going to bed for sleep but I can't cause I'm so wound up in this story. ohmy.png Its all good. Nothing like a nail biting, edge of your seat panich stricken story to keep you enthralled. Wow, you are good at this...Amazingly so! Hats off to you!!!!
Thank you. It's nice to think I'm good at something :) Don't lose too much sleep though. There is life outside stories...at least so Ive heard :)
Link to comment

I agree, you are very good at this, I´m biting my fingers and thinking how stupid can Marcus be. He left Angel alone again and he knows there are in the very house people who want to hurt him. And why didn´t they go after them? Ok, I know the search is important but still....

Link to comment
On 01/27/2014 02:55 AM, Suvitar said:
I agree, you are very good at this, I´m biting my fingers and thinking how stupid can Marcus be. He left Angel alone again and he knows there are in the very house people who want to hurt him. And why didn´t they go after them? Ok, I know the search is important but still....
The search is everything. If they can't find evidence of wrongdoing, what can they say? What can they do? They think Angel's fairly safe in public. How wrong can they be. What better way of escaping responsibility for something than to have it happen in front of many people all of whom can contest you had nothing to do with it.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..