Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 4,238 Words
  • 3,591 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Death by Dreaming - 8. Chapter 8

It was wonderful to ride through the English countryside on a warm summer afternoon and the three friends laughed until their sides ached as they ate their picnic on the hill overlooking the white horse. The sun was shining, everything was green and fresh, life was good.

Angel lay in the soft grass, his head in Marcus’ lap and his face being tickled by a long stem of heavy grass being wielded by Charlie. He was perfectly and utterly content.

“How do you fancy spending the day in Glastonbury tomorrow?”

“Ooh yes. I haven’t been there for ages. Can we climb the Tor?”

“Only if we can have a meal and a pint in ‘The George’ afterwards.”

“Awww... but it’s dark and gloomy in there.”

“The word is ‘atmospheric’.”

“Alright... it’s a deal.”

Angel smiled, his eyes closed, completely relaxed, sighing with pleasure and Marcus stroked his face, lost in it, in the gleaming gold of his hair.

“I am so lucky.”

Angel opened his eyes and looked up at Marcus smiling. Marcus was not smiling, in fact he looked slightly stunned.

“What’s wrong?”

Marcus smiled gently and let Angel’s hair run through his fingers. “Nothing. There is definitely and certainly absolutely nothing wrong. I was just thinking how lucky I am. You are utterly beautiful. I have never seen anyone or anything so lovely. It’s almost too much to bear. Sometimes you don’t even look real.”

“Oh, I’m real.”

Angel got to his knees and took Marcus into his arms, kissing him gently. “How about that? Did that feel real?”

“Mmm hmm.”

Angel kissed him again, harder.

“And that?”

“Oh yeah... that was real.”

Angel smiled, a slow sexy smile. The sun glinted on his golden hair, making it burn like a halo around his head. His eyes were amazingly blue, sparkling with light and life and his face was so perfect... so beautiful that for a moment Marcus couldn’t breathe.

“Now... you see... when you look at me like that... that’s exactly what I mean. You’re so fucking cute, so perfect... you can’t be real.”

Angel laughed and jumped on him, knocking him to the ground and sat on his chest pulling up grass and showering it onto his face.

“Still perfect?”

“Perfectly mean.”

Charlie sighed and shook her head, but she was smiling.

Jumping to her feet she shouted. “Race you to the brook.” And was off. Angel and Marcus immediately leaped to their feet and chased her. Even though she was fast and had a head start, they both had longer legs and soon caught up with her. Before they got to the brook Angel had outstripped both of them and he beat them by at least fifty yards.

“Marcus... you are getting fat. You don’t usually lose by that much of a margin.”

“Yeah yeah. I wasn’t even trying. If I was trying I could whip your skinny ass any day.

“I am not skinny. I just look skinny next to you because you are so fat.”

“Fat am I? I’ll show you fat.” Moving like lightening Marcus swept Angel up into his arms and held him suspended over the water.

“No... no let me go you idiot. You’re going to drop me. I’ll get wet. Stop it.”

“Say I’m not fat.”

“What? You’re crazy... let me go.”

“Say I’m not fat.”

Laughing hysterically Angel was barely able to speak. Throwing his arms around Marcus’ neck he clung to him and giggled “Alright, alright. You’re not fat. You’re not fat. Let me go.”

Marcus set Angel lightly on his feet and he immediately pushed him, squarely in the chest so that he lost his balance and sat down heavily in the shallow water of the brook. Marcus looked up at him his eyes shocked.

“What the hell... I’m going to get you.” He leaped to his feet and ran after Angel. Angel tried to run but this time Marcus was too quick. Tackling him he brought him crashing to the ground and was on him. Angel squirmed and struggled but it was no good, Marcus had him pinned.

“Get off... you’re making me all wet.”

“Well you made ME wet so it’s only fair.”

“Get off me Marcus I’m... I...” He faltered to a stop, getting lost in Marcus’ eyes, which were bending over his. Allowing his body to relax he smiled and, when Marcus released his hand he reached up to touch his face. With the sun behind him his brown hair was a burning blazing bronze and it almost took Angel’s breath away. He smiled again.

Marcus leaned down and kissed him and Angel’s arms snaked up behind his head and pulled him down.

“Oh for the love of God. Will you two please stop it? You are going to make me physically sick.” They completely ignored her. “Hello... I’m still here you know. Hello in there. Oh forget it.”

She stomped down to the brook and scooped up a handful of water and then returned to the boys and threw the water over them. Marcus and Angel gasped and looked up.

“What the... what did you do that for?”

Charlie grinned. “Just thought I would remind you that I’m here.”

“Oh don’t worry. We would never forget that you are here. You’re too loud.”

“I have to be or neither of you would ever listen to me.”

“Awww... is poor little Charlie feeling all neglected and unloved?”

“I think she is Marcus. What should we do?”

The exchanged a glance and Charlie realised their intention just a fraction too late and started to run just as Marcus pounced. Both Marcus and Angel held her down tickling her until she was hysterical with giggles.

“There... feel better now? More loved?”

“I... I’m going to... I’m going to get you for this.” She gasped, still giggling.

“Did you hear what she said Angel?”

“Sounded like a challenge to me.”

“Shall we tickle her again?”

“It’s the only way...”

“No... no please... leave me along... leave...” she was reduced to helpless giggles again by a renewed onslaught of tickling and by the time the boys eventually helped her to her feet she was glowing, her hair full of grass, sticking out all over her head. Sighing happily she linked her arms with both boys as they headed back.

On their way Angel’s mobile rang. He ignored it until they got back to the picnic site and had recovered their breath before checking it. He groaned.

“What’s wrong?”

“It was Charles.”

“Ignore it.”

“I can’t. There might be something wrong.”

“So?”

“I can’t Marcus.” With a sigh he got to his feet and walked a little way away. They could hear his voice drifting back on the breeze, sometimes raised but never clear enough to be able to tell what he was saying.

At last he threw himself onto the ground, glaring at the floor and shredding grass stems with his fingers.

“I take it that didn’t go well.”

“We are invited to a formal dinner with the Addams Family tonight at eight... I did my best but he wasn’t having any of it... we have to go.”

“Ah well... we knew it was inevitable sooner or later. No doubt Henry has been giving him all sorts of juicy details about how I am perverting their little Angel.”

“Don’t say that.”

Marcus sobered and put his arm around Angel. “Don’t worry hun. I’m more than a match for that crowd. We can have some fun... you’ll see.”

“I think your definition of ‘fun’ might be a little off.”

Marcus squeezed him. “Don’t worry so much. It’ll be alright I promise.”

“Yeah... tonight... but what about when you’re gone and I’m alone with them again.”

“Who says I’m going anywhere?”

“You can’t stay here forever. You have to go home.”

“Well...” Marcus said carefully glancing at Charlie who nodded slightly. “Charlie and I have already talked about it and we’ve decided, even before this happened, that we are not going to leave you alone with those people, at least until after your birthday.”

“But...”

“No arguing Angel. Look what’s been happening. They wore you down and you almost got sick again. I’m not going anywhere.”

Angel looked up at him and, to his horror tears began to spill from his eyes. Before he could say or do anything he was sobbing and suddenly they were both there with their arms around him, holding him until the pain went away.

“I am so lucky to have friends like you... both of you.”

“You have lots of friends darling, lots of them... they’ve all been worried about you and they’re all there for you. You should have called us sooner. You never had to go through this alone.”

“I know.” He whispered and snuggled deeper into Marcus’ arms.

***

At precisely eight o clock that night the three friends met on the stairs. Charles Bishop had stipulated a formal dinner but they had ignored him. Charlie was dressed casually in a long brown skirt and beige cashmere sweater and both Marcus and Angel were in jeans. True they were very smart designer jeans, Angel’s black, slung low on his hips surmounted by a white linen shirt laced at the front and Marcus’ blue denim with patches on the pocket which had slogans on the back that really didn’t sit well at the dinner table but were fortunately too small to read unless you were looking closely. His dark blue sweater and white tshirt both accentuated the width of his broad shoulders.

Laughing together they descended towards the dining room. They were met by Charlton.

“Master Charles has asked that you gather in the study for drinks before dinner, Sir.”

Angel sighed. This was going to be a chore.

“Thank you Charlton.”

They were all there, all dressed to the nines, all giggling and half drunk already and all fell silent when they entered. Henry said something to Anabelle which was too low for them to hear and she giggled and smirked.

“Ah... I see that you all took time to dress for dinner.” His gaze raked them and Angel blushed but Charlie and Marcus merely laughed.

“Dinner’s dinner. We don’t eat the clothes. Did I hear correctly that there are drinks in here?”

Charles nodded in the direction of the drinks cabinet and Marcus made a bee line for it.

“What can I get you Charlie? Martini?”

“Thanks Marc, that would be lovely. Are there any olives?”

“Yep... what about you babe? Scotch? Or do you want to wait until after dinner for the strong stuff?”

Smiling a wicked smile that surprised but delighted Charlie and Marcus he purred “I’ll leave that to you darling... you know me so well.”

Looking slightly stunned but highly amused Marcus poured them both a Scotch and soda and then handed Angel and Charlie their drinks while studying the family over the rim of his own glass.

“Sooo. What’s this little get together in aid of then?”

“Just an opportunity for getting to know you, dear.” Mrs Bishop chirruped. “As you are guests in our house and friends of our ward we thought it only proper.”

“Very proper indeed. Although I do feel it only ‘proper’ to point out that it is, in fact Angel’s house and, as I am sure your son has already informed you, we are way more than friends.” He underlined the point by slipping his arm around Angel’s waist and resting his head on his shoulder.

Mrs Bishop’s eyes went wide and Charles choked on his drink. Marcus caught Charlie’s eye and grinned. She winked at him.

“Father! Surely you’re not going to allow such... displays in...”

“That’s enough Henry. As Mr Sheldon so ‘properly’ pointed out, this is Alexander’s home and he may behave in it as he wishes. Even if it is... somewhat... improper.”

“Improper? This? Dear dear, you have lived a sheltered life. This isn’t improper. Now if I shagged him on the desk in front of your face... that would be improper.”

This time it was Angel who choked and Marcus had to thump him on the back as tears streamed down his face. By the time he had himself back under control, so had the Bishops although Mary looked close to tears and both Henry and Charles were tight lipped and furious.

“Perhaps it would be a good idea to go in to dinner now.”

“I think it probably would. I’m starving. It’s amazing how a good hard ride can give you an appetite, don’t you think Angel?”

Angel smiled and nodded while surreptitiously kicking him on the ankle.

Dinner was not the most cheerful meal they had ever eaten. It passed mostly in silence with what attempts at conversation there were being mainly sabotaged by Marcus outrageously. He seemed to be enjoying himself enormously and, by the end so were Angel and Charlie, although they had plenty of cause to cringe on many occasions.

After dinner, surprisingly, Charles insisted that the men retire to the study for Brandy while the women got to know each other better in the drawing room. For all three of them it was an unbearable chore which they bore as long as the must and escaped from as soon as they were able.

Once again they met on the stairs and as soon as they saw each other they burst into helpless laughter.

“Marc, you were outrageous. What the hell were you doing? I thought that Charles was going to have a fit when you talked about shagging on the desk.”

“I know...shame isn’t it... I was kind of hoping that he would.”

“And when you asked Henry if he had quite recovered from his nasty accident, and said that you thought now the swelling had gone down the nose was greatly improved, I thought he was going to choke on his steak... You are a bad man Marcus Sheldon, a very bad man.”

Marcus mock frowned then grinned broadly. “I know but you gotta love me for it hey?”

Angel responded by reaching up, taking his face between his hands and kissing him. Marcus wrapped his arms around him and kissed him back.

The sound of footsteps in the hall drew all three of them to look down on Henry’s angry red face.

“You think you’re so fucking clever don’t you? You look down on us because you think this is ‘your’ house and we’re fucking nothing to you. It means nothing to you that we took care of you and your fucking company and my father made so much money for your fucking company that you’ll never have to work a day in your fucking life.

“Well make the most of it. Nothing lasts for ever... not even you. You never know what’s round the corner and one of these days you’re going to find what’s round yours.”

“Is that a threat Henry?” Marcus tightened his arms around Angel who was trembling.

“Keep your nose out of this Sheldon or you are going to find that you have bitten off more than you can chew. You’re not going to be here forever. You can’t protect that simpering pretty boy forever. He’s going down and he’s going down hard and there is nothing you can do to stop it, you arse fucking nancy boy.”

“You fucking bastard.” Marcus muttered but before he could do anything Angel was flying. Enough was enough and he just couldn’t take any more. He had suffered at the hands of all the family for far too long and had bitten his tongue all through dinner to the point that his emotions were coiled like a spring.

Henry was about to find out that he had, by far, misjudged Angel, who leaped over the banister to land lightly and already running. He was travelling at enough speed that, by the time he hit Henry, despite the fact that he was by far the lighter of the two he completely knocked him off his feet.

Stunned Henry lay flat on his back, with his hands pinned behind his head, and stared up into two very angry and very blue eyes, only inches away from his own. Angel’s face was blazing but his voice was completely calm when he said.

“I think you had better apologise to my boyfriend Henry. That really wasn’t a very nice name you called him.”

“Like fuck I will.”

Henry struggled but was surprised to find that Angel was a lot stronger that he looked and he was completely pinned.

“Don’t make me ask again Henry. I am being very patient with you but my patience is running out and if it does I might just do something silly.”

“Like what? Kiss me?”

Angel shrugged. “If you really want me to... but I’d rather not. I gave up kissing toads a long time ago.”

“Get off me you sick faggot.”

“I’m not sick Henry, although I think you might be in the morning by the smell of your breath. How much brandy did you have tonight?”

Angel shifted his grip on Henry’s wrist slightly and Henry’s face twisted with pain. “Fuck... fuck what are you doing to me? Get off me. Get the fuck OFF me.”

“Patience Henry. Surely a... what did you call me? A... simpering pretty boy... and thank you for saying I’m pretty by the way... I didn’t know you cared... but surely I can’t be doing that much damage can I? You can take care of me easily enough can’t you?” He twisted Henry’s wrist again and Henry screamed.

“Alright... alright... I’m sorry...I’m sorry... now get off me.”

“Say... ‘Marcus, I am terribly sorry for being such a complete arsehole... I will never treat you with such disrespect again’.”

“Yeah right... Aaargh... alright okay... I... I’m sorry Marcus for being... for... argh... alright! I’m sorry for being such an arsehole and I won’t disrespect you again.”

Angel looked up at Marcus who was staring, slack jawed, at him. “Is that good enough for you Marc?”

“I... er... yeah... yeah that’s good enough.”

“You’re lucky. I would have made you repeat it until you were word perfect. I suppose that my boyfriend must be more generous that I am.”

Henry’s face twisted at the word ‘boyfriend’ but Angel just laughed. “Be a good boy now Henry. You try anything funny when I get off you and I’m afraid I am going to have to break your arm.”

Grinning, Angel leaned forwards and kissed Henry soundly then leapt up and away from him as light as a cat and was back on the staircase before Henry had found his feet.

“This isn’t over, you fucker... not by a long way. This isn’t over... you’re going down.”

“Yeah yeah. Good night Henry.”

Henry, slouching away turned and called over his shoulder. “Sweet dreams... Angel.”

Ignoring Henry, Angel passed Marcus and Charlie who followed him the rest of the way up the stairs in silence.

As soon as they were inside Angel’s room Charlie and Marcus rounded on him. “Fuck Angel, that was awesome. Where the fuck did you learn to do that?”

Angel shrugged, looking deflated and exhausted. “Martial arts. It’s nothing... pressure points that’s all.”

“I wasn’t talking about the pressure points. I was talking about the whole vaulting over the staircase and practically flying through the air thing. That was awesome... fucking awesome.”

Angel smiled thinly. “I’m not proud of it you know. I don’t like violence.”

“I’m not a fan myself but sometimes it is called for and... fucking hell. Did I mention your were awesome?”

“Once or twice.”

Charlie, being more sensitive to Angel’s mood sat down next to him on the bed and put her arm around him. He rested his head on her shoulder. “Are you okay?”

“No, not really.”

Marcus turned and sat down on his other side and put a hand on his thigh. “What’s up?”

“I don’t know. I’m just so tired of all this. It’s bullshit. It happens all the time and I’m fucking sick of it. They’re always pushing me and I’m not proud that I let them get to me and make me snap. I’m just so tired.”

“Don’t worry about it babe. It’s over now. I think you’ll find they’ll treat you with a little more respect now. I know you hate violence... it’s one of the things I love about you... but sometimes you have to stand up for yourself, and when you do it makes all the difference.”

“I hope so.”

“Of course so. You saw his face. He’ll think twice about ragging on you now.”

Angel allowed himself a small tired smile. “It was quite funny wasn’t it... his face I mean? God I thought he was going to wet himself when I kissed him.”

“I thought I was going to wet myself when you kissed him.”

“I’m glad you didn’t.”

Marcus stretched out on the bed and sighed. “God I’m tired.”

“Is that a hint?”

“It’s a statement.”

“I’m tired too.”

“Ok...ok... I get the hint. If you guys want to do ucky gay things and you won’t let me watch then I’ll just go to bed.”

“No ucky anything tonight Charlie... I’m too tired. But I tell you what...next time we feel the urge we’ll give you a shout and you can come and watch.”

“Eeew. I’ll pass on that.” She grinned at them and bounced to her feet. Angel who was still leaning on her shoulder half asleep, almost fell off the bed.

“Wha...”

“Look at you. The pair of you are hopeless... a little fresh air and a couple of brandies and you’re good for nothing.”

“Not everyone can be Miss Boundless Energy like you. Go to bed Charlie or I am going to fall asleep on you.”

As soon as Charlie had shut the door Marcus cast of his clothes with no ceremony and crawled under the bedclothes. Angel was about to do the same when Marcus again reminded him to go take his meds.

Eventually they were snuggled under the duvet and Angel pressed his face against Marcus’ chest listening to his heart beat. He sighed deeply.

“What’s wrong?” Marcus’ voice was sleepy and it made Angel smile.

“Nothing wrong, nothing at all. Everything’s right.”

Marcus stroked his back. “Good. Go to sleep.”

“Yeah... tired.”

***

Angel woke suddenly and it was dark. Everything felt wrong. Why was it wrong? He couldn’t wake up properly, couldn’t find enough focus to work out where the sense of wrongness came from. In fact that was part of the wrongness.

Marcus... that was it... Marcus was here... only he wasn’t. He wasn’t cuddled up to Marcus any more. He tried to roll over... to look for him, to reach for him, but he couldn’t. He couldn’t move.

A groan escaped his lips. Oh no, not again. He was dreaming again.

“No.” The sound escaped his lips as a sigh and he struggled to move, to wake, to escape the creeping terror, the sense of unreality and wrongness. “No.”

And then the voice began, whispering words than meant nothing but seemed to have a strange kind of control over his body, making it relax whether he wanted to or not. He felt a hand touch him and his eyes closed. He didn’t want his eyes to close but he had no control over them either. The voice sent him spinning, barely breathing and he shivered feeling cold to his bones.

A tiny part of his mind which remained free was shouting at him, urging him to fight, to wake up, to escape before... before...

Light stabbed into his eyes, flickering, pulsing and the voice droned on and on. Pictures formed and scattered and something rose out of the crazy kaleidoscope, imprinting itself on his mind. It was a letter. A cream coloured envelope with handwritten address. The writing was archaic, old fashioned, curly and elaborate. It was addressed to him, his name in black on cream, screaming at him.

Angel could hear his heart beating and it was almost painful. He tried to focus on his heart and not the letter. He didn’t want to look at the letter. He didn’t want to know what it said... he was afraid of it, afraid of what it said, afraid of what it represented, afraid of what it meant.

Even though his eyes were closed he could not escape the pulsing light. It was eerie, unreal, unearthly, faintly green tinged. He ‘knew’ that if he opened his eyes he would see the source of the voice and it would not be human. The thought terrified him. What was happening to him? Why was he having these dreams? Why?

It was cold, so cold, so cold, so cold. He was shivering, his body tensing and the voice was still whispering. As much as he tried he could no more ignore the voice and the images it was weaving in his mind than he could the light and the shivering.

‘Please, please let me wake up... let me wake up... I can’t do this any more... let me wake up.’ He repeated over and over in his mind... but the voice, the light and the vision was relentless and the pain and pressure in his head grew until, quite suddenly he spun loose and spiralled into darkness.

Remember many things are only perception
Copyright © 2010 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Wow 4
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Strange how Henry bid Angel sweet dreams after their confrontation, and then later Angel suffered from one of those weird dreams again. I thought he would have been safe with Marcus being there in bed next to him, apparently not. I'm curious about what is causing them. I think it's got something to do with Charles or his family. Or maybe someone or something is trying to warn him.

Link to comment
On 07/04/2011 08:40 PM, Mike00 said:
Strange how Henry bid Angel sweet dreams after their confrontation, and then later Angel suffered from one of those weird dreams again. I thought he would have been safe with Marcus being there in bed next to him, apparently not. I'm curious about what is causing them. I think it's got something to do with Charles or his family. Or maybe someone or something is trying to warn him.
Thats part of the mystery :)
Link to comment

They must have changed Angel´s medication into something that causes the dreams and the wrong medicine doesn´t prevent the seizures. Horrible people :angry:

Link to comment
On 01/26/2014 05:36 PM, Suvitar said:
They must have changed Angel´s medication into something that causes the dreams and the wrong medicine doesn´t prevent the seizures. Horrible people :angry:
If Marcus and Charlie hadn't come along it would have been the perfect murder :) Now, not so much.
Link to comment

sweet dreams Angel.......and he dreams????? I KNEW IT. gosh, I'm so hooked and apprehensive! Nephylim please, give me relief soon.

Link to comment
38 minutes ago, MariaNk said:

sweet dreams Angel.......and he dreams????? I KNEW IT. gosh, I'm so hooked and apprehensive! Nephylim please, give me relief soon.

Just remember the is always a happy ending. Well, usually. Thank you for your comment. I'm really happy you're enjoying the story

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..