Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 4,499 Words
  • 3,363 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Death by Dreaming - 18. Chapter 18

Angel woke to darkness, although woke was not precisely the right word. He struggled towards consciousness but was met with a blanket that prevented his mind achieving full awareness. He was aware that something was not quite right but couldn’t work out what it was.

There was someone sitting in the chair at the side of his bed and he smiled.

“Marcus.”

“No, my dear. Not Marcus, not this time.”

“Who...?”

The feeling of wrongness intensified as he tried to make sense of what his confused mind was screaming at him.

“Poor boy, are you so ill than you don’t even recognise your own guardian?”

“Charles?” He murmured.

“Indeed.”

Angel tried to force his eyes open, to raise his head but Charles pressed him back, stroking his hair.

“Relax, Alexander, rest a little, while you have a chance.” Angel found the sound of his voice soothing and almost fell back into sleep but Charles shook him awake. “Don’t sleep, not yet. You will... soon, but not yet.

“I have to say Alexander that you have shown a good deal more fortitude than I had expected. I really thought that you would have been dead by now. I have been preparing you for this for months. Have you been a good boy Alexander? Taking your medication ever day? You may as well have not bothered. You haven’t had you true medication in that bottle for weeks.

“And then, of course there were all the little digs, the stresses, the small everyday annoyances that seem to be designed just to send your blood pressure soaring... well they were.

“And the dreams. I am sure you have wondered about the dreams. They were so vivid weren’t they... and so strange how they seemed to presage a seizure. How in earth could you have known the lawyers was going to come that day?” Charles laughed. “You didn’t... but I did. And how did you know that you were going to walk on that path down to the stables... You had no idea that Henry was going to issue the challenge that day... but I did because I sent him.”

“I don’t...”

“Understand? Of course you don’t. You’re far too trusting Alexander. You see good in everyone. How could you possibly suspect that anyone would want to deliberately hurt you?”

“Hurt... me?”

“Don’t you remember Alexander? Don’t you remember what happened on those nights you dreamed? Do you remember... oh no, of course you don’t, how could you... you were drugged.

“Drugged? I am... I don’t...”

“No... you don’t. Unfortunately, by the time you do it will be too late. Just one more night Alexander, one more treatment, one more night of drugged sleep... one more seizure... that’s all it will take for you to never have to worry again, never have to worry about anything again.”

Angel began to feel the first pangs of fear gnaw at his stomach. The sense of wrongness coalesced into a clear thought.

“You... you did this?”

“Of course I did, and I did it very well. No one could possibly connect me with what happened to you, or what is about to happen. I was nowhere near you when you had any of the seizures. I was very far away. And none of the drugs will leave any trace...they are quickly metabolized and by the time anyone thinks to check your blood they will be long gone.”

“Blood? I...”

Angel was confused again. The certainty he had felt a moment before that he was getting a grip on what was happening had slipped away and he was slipping again, back into a soup of confusion.

Charles stroked his hair. “Don’t worry Alexander... beautiful, beautiful Angel. There is nothing to worry about, nothing to worry about ever again. Soon it will be over, all over.”

“Over?” he murmured faintly, not understanding a thing.

“Let me make this simple for you Alexander. I have been slowly and systematically setting up a series of ‘episodes’ that have eroded your health to the point that one more little push and it’s a one way ride...all the way to hell.

“It hasn’t been easy though, as I said. You have been remarkably resilient. I thought I was never going to be able to push you over the edge today. I was never intending to bring that simpering oaf Marcus into it... but you just wouldn’t let go. I was pressing every button I could think of and I was beginning to get quite desperate.”

“Charles, stop playing with the boy. If he remembers...”

“Look at him Vladmir... he’s barely with us... he won’t remember... and if he does who will believe him? No one saw us come in and no one will see us leave. I’ve made sure of that. But you are right... we shouldn’t get complacent. Do what you do and get it over with. My wife thinks I am in my study and if anyone comes to check there could be awkward questions asked.”

“Charles?” Still struggling Angel tried to turn his head to see where the other voice was coming from. He got a vague impression of a short man but he couldn’t make out features. Something flashed in the light from the window as the man inserted a syringe into the IV line. It occurred to him that there was something wrong with that, that he shouldn’t be doing that. Should he call out, would anyone come?

Angel opened his lips to speak but the man distracted him, putting his hands each side of his head and speaking to him in soft hypnotic tones. Angel had no idea what he was saying, he just listened to the familiar cadence of the voice, rising and falling, instructing, directing.

Charles watched Vladmir work with a degree of respect and a degree of disgust. For the most part both he and Angel were silent except for the soft, monotonous whispering voice and an occasional whimper or moan. After the first set of instructions were given Vladmir turned on the tape in the Dictaphone and inserted earphones into Angel’s ears, while he set up the apparatus that sent pulses of light through the eye deep into the brain, stimulating certain circuits and implanting images into the subconscious mind.

Vladmir had insisted on trying to explain to him how the procedure worked but he had never been particularly interested. All he had been interested in was that it was effective. He had taken in enough to know how to perform the procedure... it would have been too risky to smuggle Vladmir into the house, even though he had made sure that Angel, and once that oaf Marcus, were drugged senseless before even attempting it.

Sighing Charles idly toyed with the lapel of his suit, flicking away imaginary lint. Bored he got to his feet and stood looking down at Angel as he lay quietly, his eyes half closed, listening intently to the voice in his ears. He truly was beautiful, even in this weird half light. Reaching out Charles flicked a lock of hair out of his face and let his fingers linger on the soft, pale skin. What a shame.

As Vladmir moved to commence the second stage of the procedure Charles wandered away to look out of the window. It was a boring view, an enclosed garden with some weird, modern statue at the centre which looked like an amorphous blob with breasts. He watched the moonlight on the stone for a while, and the flickering light reflected on the glass from the room behind him.

Angel’s whimpering became moans as his breathing increased in pace and Charles turned sharply.

“I told you to be careful Vladmir. We don’t want him seizing tonight. If he does they won’t let him out tomorrow.”

“I’m doing my best this is not a precise science. He’s unstable... as you knew he would be by this stage.”

“You assured me...”

“I didn’t know how far you were taking this. I didn’t sign up for murder. So you had better be careful... be very careful about making too many demands on me. I am doing my best.”

Simmering with barely controlled anger Charles turned back to the window and tried his best to shut out the moans and the frantic jumping of the monitors. He hoped that no one checked the overnight readouts or his plan might be in jeopardy. Maybe it had not been such a good idea to show himself to Angel tonight after all. He had been so sure that tomorrow would be the end, that his carefully laid out plan would go off without a hitch but if they didn’t let Angel out of the hospital... it would all go to hell and he would have to do this again. Would Angel still believe it was a dream now he had allowed him to see his face?

“Will he remember tonight?”

“What? You mean when he’s dead?”

“If he carries on like this they won’t let him out of the hospital tomorrow.”

“If he carries on like this he won’t live to see tomorrow.”

“Then do something.”

“There is very little I can do. The process has to take its course.”

“Can’t you give him something to calm him down a bit?”

“Maybe... but it might interfere with the implanting procedure. The psychoactive drugs are carefully balanced. It might knock things out of kilter.”

“I’ll knock you out of kilter if anything goes wrong. Do it.”

Vladmir gave him a look as though he hated him, which he did, and then he opened a large wooden box which he had laid on the bed and drew up a syringe from one of the bottles it contained.

After a while Angel stopped moaning and the monitors slowed and steadied, although his body continued to shake and twitch as the light pulses pounded into his brain.

“You’d better take the box back with you just in case.”

“You know I don’t like having that thing in my house.”

“Alright I’ll take it with me and you are going to have to try and get away to see me or smuggle me in if you need another session.”

“Oh... alright. Give me the bloody thing if you have to. It’ll be safe enough.”

***
Marcus and Charlie arrived at the hospital early the next morning, after another sleepless night. Angel was still asleep. A nurse; young, sweet and far nicer than the ones they had so far encountered; informed them that he had had a good night and had slept peacefully throughout. Of course she had only just come on shift but dutifully reported what she had been told.

Content, the two friends settled down to wait and chatted quietly while the sun rose higher in the sky.

When Angel eventually began to stir Marcus was at his side before he had even opened his eyes so that when he did so it was to blink owlishly at the blurred figure leaning over him.

“Charles?”

“No sweetheart. Don’t worry. It isn’t Charles it’s me. I’m here. Everything’s fine.”

Angel sighed and blinked again.

“Marcus.”

“Of course, did you doubt?”

Angel smiled and sighed again, closing his eyes.

“You okay babe?”

“Sleepy.”

“No problem. You just rest, take your time. We’re here, Charlie and I. We’re not going anywhere.”

Angel seemed to drift again but Marcus remained at his side squeezing his hand and stroking his face eliciting a smile, even while he slept.

About an hour later, during which Angel hadn’t stirred again, the door opened to admit a young doctor accompanied by a nurse carrying a covered tray.

“Good morning.” He said brightly. “If you wouldn’t mind waiting outside for a few minutes, I would like to examine Alexander and if everything is alright we can get rid of some of this... stuff.”

Disturbed by the sound of voices Angel moaned softly and stirred, opening his eyes.

“Marcus?”

“Here babe. Don’t worry. The doctor is here. He’s going to take a look at you and then free up some of this equipment okay?”

“Sure. Fine. Good.” Angel still seemed to be having trouble breaking through the barrier of sleep and his words were thick and slurred. This worried Marcus slightly but the doctor seemed unconcerned and greeted Angel brightly as Marcus and Charlie were ushered gently out by the nurse.

“We seem to spend a lot of time sitting around waiting these days.”

“Yes. Some holiday this is turning out to be. Who’s idea was it to spend the summer at Greybrook?”

“I don’t remember hearing too many complaints from you.”

Marcus smiled. “You didn’t hear any hun... and you won’t. Are you going to stay here with Angel while I go and search the office this afternoon.”

“I think that might be a good idea. What time are they all off?”

“About three I think. The party kicks off at four with the grand unveiling at about half five. Apparently the window points West so it’s shown in it’s best light when the sun begins to set.”

“I’m vastly interested... not.” Marcus grinned at her. Charlie sighed.

“Do you think Angel is going to be alright now? Do you think that Charles will stop doing whatever he’s doing to him?”

“Do you think the sky will turn pink with the bodies of flying pigs blotting out the sun?”

“What if you don’t find anything?”

“I’ll find it. If I have to tear the whole bloody place apart I’ll find it.”

Charlie squeezed his hand and he smiled at her, although his face remained grim.

Again time seemed to drag and it appeared to be a very long time before the door open and the doctor and nurse emerged. The nurse immediately scurried off but the doctor paused to speak to them.

“I’m sorry... I never introduced myself. Very remiss of me but I am new here, still finding my feet you know. My name is Dr Scott. I am going to be looking after Angel today as Dr Cole has clinic in London.

“You can go back in now. He’s still very sleepy but a lot more comfortable.”

“Should he be that sleepy?”

“People metabolise drugs at different paces, given what he’s already been through it’s not particularly surprising he’s a bit out of it. Everything is looking good. His heart is strong and stable, as stable as it’s likely to be. I should think he will be able to go home tomorrow.”

“Are you really sure about that? He’s been so ill.”

“We’ve done tests while he was in here and there really isn’t much wrong with him. The drugs incident was an unfortunate accident but there is nothing to indicate there is anything of concern other than that.

“The volume of his prescription medication in his blood was low so it looks as though he has been forgetting to take them, which would explain the re emergence of the seizures. Dr Cole has adjusted the dose and will give him a new supply before he leaves so I don’t think there is going to be anything to worry about.

“I would try and keep him resting and calm for the next few days... but after that things can go back to pretty much normal. Just let him pace himself.”

“Oh no... that would be a very bad idea. Angel is not good at pacing himself, not good at all. Maybe you could hand that task over to us.”

The doctor smiled. “I’ll make sure to tell him. I’ve taken some more bloods to check that everything is alright there... they should be back later this afternoon and if all is well I would certainly be looking at releasing him tomorrow morning.”

“Thanks Doctor Scott.”

“No problem.” He smiled and nodded and then disappeared.

The room seemed very quiet without the incessant beep and hiss of the machines, which seemed somehow dead and brooding now that they were dark and silent. Angel was dozing again, curled up on his side like a child but he stirred when they approached the bed.

He grinned up at Marcus, sunny as the day outside. “It’s nice and peaceful now.” He sighed.

“Yeah. How you feeling this morning?”

“Okay... good to be free. Damn sleepy though.”

“Don’t worry about that. As long as you’re okay you can sleep for a week if you want to.” Angel smiled a brief distant smile and closed his eyes again.

“I could do with a cuddle.” Smiling Marcus climbed onto the bed and took Angel in his arms. It felt so good. With a sigh Angel turned and clung to him, nestling into his shoulder.

“Oh God Angel... don’t scare me like this again. What would I do without you? What would I ever do without you?”

“Not happening. Tired now. Shut up.”

“Yessir.”

Marcus looked up and met Charlie’s eye. They both smiled.

It was less than an hour later when the door opened and the sour faced nurse from the day before entered. She was carrying a bag which she threw on the bed.

“Right you... let’s get you up.”

Angel woke from his doze, startled and disoriented.

“What? What’s happening?”

“The doctor’s given the go ahead for you to go home. We need the bed so get yourself moving please. Your guardian is waiting to take you home.”

“But...”

“No arguments. Get dressed.”

She stood with her arms folded and Angel just blinked at her, not really understanding what was expected of him. She began to tap her foot.

“Hang on a minute here.” Marcus got to his feet and faced her, his face flushed and angry. “This is all very sudden. The last time we spoke to Dr Cole he said maybe tomorrow. It’s only been a couple of hours since Angel came off all the machines... I would be much happier discussing this with Dr Cole before he goes anywhere.”

“I have my instructions and Mr Bishop is waiting.”

“Mr Bishop can wait as long as he likes. Angel is not going anywhere with him.”

“Marcus... it... it’s alright. I want to go. Really. I want to go. Let’s just get out of here before someone changes their mind.”

“But Angel...”

“Please Marcus.”

Marcus looked into the large pleading eyes and melted. “Alright. But you’re not going with Charles, you’re coming with us and you are going straight to bed when we get home and stay there allowing us to wait on you hand and foot for the rest of the day.”

Angel grinned. “Deal.”

The nurse lingered and Marcus turned to her pointedly. She glared at him cooly.

“If you wouldn’t mind giving us some privacy.”

“I have my instructions.”

“To hell with your instructions. Are you some kind of security detail sent to show Angel off the premises. Shit... why the hell did you ever become a nurse... it’s not because you have a caring personality for sure.”

“There’s no need to be personal.”

“You are here to ‘nurse’ and that means ‘take care of’. At the moment you are making everything worse so I would be very grateful if you would just leave. I can help Angel in any way he needs it. We won’t be long and then we’ll be out of your hair. Perhaps you can help by going to tell Mr Bishop that he doesn’t need to linger.”

“I...”

“Just go.”

After glaring at them all and seeming to be about to fight, the nurse turned on her heel and strode out.

“What the fuck was that all about?”

“Who knows? Let’s get out of here before someone changes their mind.”

“Angel, are you sure...?”

“Fucking right. Come on.”

Marcus’ concern for Angel grew as he helped him dress. Angel was barely able to stand, let alone dress himself and Marcus ended up having to do almost everything for him. Not only that but he seemed spaced out, still drugged. Surely Dr Cole wouldn’t have sent him home like this? Surely he would have wanted to see him, to make sure that he was well enough before he was released?

A nagging suspicion began to grow as he wondered why Charles was here to collect Angel when they had been with him all morning and no one had told them anything about it.

Still... if Angel stayed with them then he would be safe, wouldn’t he? And when the Bishops went off to the fete that afternoon he would search the house and find the evidence he needed to get them out of Angel’s hair forever. With them out of the picture and without all the stress they caused him, Angel would be fine... wouldn’t he?

When Angel was dressed Marcus helped him lie down again and went in search of someone. The young doctor they had spoken to earlier was chatting to the sweet young nurse at the nurse’s station nearby. He looked up and smiled at Marcus.

“Hello there. Is everything alright?”

“Fine. Angel’s all dressed but I’m still a bit worried. To me he doesn’t seem well enough to leave, but I’m not a doctor so...”

“Leave? Who said he was leaving? Who’s discharged him?”

Marcus frowned. “I don’t know. The nurse came with his clothes and told him to get dressed and leave. She seemed very... insistent.”

Looking puzzled Dr Scott flicked through a sheaf of notes, read for a while, frowning then looked up with a slightly puzzled frown.

“Well, it’s slightly unusual but it’s all in order. Seems like Dr Cole himself gave the instructions over the telephone an hour ago.”

“Over the telephone? Is that usual?”

“No, but this IS Dr Cole. He’s a very busy man. He often gets help up at the clinic. Although he seldom sees his own patients here he does sometimes have someone admitted and, yes there are times when he is do busy he consults over the telephone with whomever is on duty.”

“Did he consult with you?”

Dr Scott shook his head. “No, this is the first I’ve heard of it... but I have been busy this morning.”

“Then who spoke to Dr Cole?”

He checked the notes again and showed them to the nurse. “Sister Barnard.” She smiled coyly. “I think she’s the nurse you don’t like... she wears blue?”

“That’s the one.”

“Sister Barnard is a nurse practitioner, that means she stands in the place of the doctor when there isn’t one around. It’s perfectly proper that she had the discussion with Dr Cole and made the decision with him.”

“But why? Angel’s... he’s still not well.”

“Well that’s not surprising. I’ll come and take a look at him... see how things are looking. I’m sure everything is fine or Dr Cole would never have given the go ahead to release him.”

“But why would he have done that anyway? Why would he have released Angel without even seeing him? He’s been so cautious until now?”

“I don’t know Marcus. I could ask him if you like?”

“Yes... please do that. I’ll feel better.”

“Go and wait with Angel and I’ll try to get him on the phone. I won’t be long.”

Marcus smiled gratefully and slipped back into Angel’s room. He was asleep again.

“What’s going on Marcus? Are they really letting Angel out like this?”

“Seems so. Dr Cole gave the go ahead earlier. Dr Scott is checking it out with him.”

Charlie nodded looking relieved. “Good. I’m scared.”

Marcus hugged her. “Don’t be scared hun. He’s fine. He’s just doped up that’s all. He’ll be back to normal in no time.”

Dumbly she nodded.

True to his word Dr Scott wasn’t long. He smiled at them reassuringly.

“I’m afraid I wasn’t able to speak to Dr Cole, he was with a patient, but I confirmed with his assistant that he was the one who rang here this morning to see how Angel was doing and he seemed pleased and satisfied afterwards. I’m sure everything’s fine. It was always expected that he would be going home tomorrow anyway.”

Still uneasy Marcus nodded and watched while Dr Scott roused Angel and examined him. He was smiling when he finished.

“Well... you’re still clearly feeling the effects of the drugs you were given yesterday, and it may be that the new doses of your medication are adding to that, but apart from that you’re absolutely fine. Your heart is strong and steady and all your vitals are perfectly normal. Dr Cole was right, there really is no need to keep you here any longer. You would be better off being cared for by your friends at home.”

Marcus sighed with relief and thanked the doctor warmly. He smiled. “No problem. I’m just glad things ended so well for you. It could so easily have gone down a different path. Be careful alright. It’s a sad world but it isn’t safe to leave drinks unattended at parties any more. There are some sick people out there.”

“Tell me about it.” Marcus mumbled. The doctor smiled again.

“You need to take it easy for a few days Angel, and I mean easy. Rest as much as possible, but it’s fine to take some gentle exercise and fresh air will be good for you. Short walks in the sunshine would be ideal.”

“That sounds good.”

After a short discussion about practicalities including a prescription for Angel’s new medications and how to take them, and the signing of release papers it was over and Angel was free to go. Marcus expected to see Charles at any minute and have another battle with him about who was going to take Angel home but if he was in the hospital he didn’t show his face and soon enough they were settling Angel into the car.

Marcus had wanted to get a wheelchair to take Angel to the car but he laughed and him and managed to get the doctor onside to agree that the gentle exercise would be good for him. It really wasn’t that far. At first it was a struggle but by the time they got to the car he was able to walk unaided and the fresh air cleared his head considerably.

Even so he dozed all the way back to the house, whether exhausted by the walk or still under the influence of the drugs.

Charlie watched him the whole way, unable to shake the feeling of dread that was settling in her stomach. Ever since she had accepted that Charles was meaning harm to Angel, and that had not truly happened until after the party, the dread had been growing, alongside the helplessness and she couldn’t help but feel that taking Angel back to the house was just leading him into the lion’s mouth and inviting it to snap its jaws.

Every now and again she caught Marcus’ eye in the mirror and she knew that he felt it too

Copyright © 2010 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Angry 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Scary chapter :o First Bishop´s midnight visit with Dr Evil and then he somehow managed to get Angel discharged from the hospital, he probably made the phone call himself. Marcus should have insisted on talking to Dr Cole, but it´s understandable that he didn´t. Few more chapters to find out how this´ll end.

Link to comment
On 01/27/2014 02:33 AM, Suvitar said:
Scary chapter :o First Bishop´s midnight visit with Dr Evil and then he somehow managed to get Angel discharged from the hospital, he probably made the phone call himself. Marcus should have insisted on talking to Dr Cole, but it´s understandable that he didn´t. Few more chapters to find out how this´ll end.
OOoh things are heating up and its against the clock now.
Link to comment

Again, I am years behind this.  But why doesn't someone have Dr. Cole's Cell Number?  Why doesn't someone demand that Dr. Cole authorize what is happening?  Why doesn't someone challenge Nurse All In Charge?  What is wrong with these people?

 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..