Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 4,591 Words
  • 2,349 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Weeping Lily - 28. Chapter 28

“It’s been three days. Three goddamn days. Where is he? Surely he should have turned up somewhere. No one’s seen him for three DAYS.”

Cal slammed his fist down on the table. Jeff shook his head sadly. He knew exactly how he felt but what could he do? What could anyone do?

“He’ll turn up in his own time Cal.” Rik said without conviction. “It’s Jay; you know what Jay’s like.”

Cal glared at him. “This is different. This...”

“How is it different Cal? When Jayden gets like this he runs away for a few days and then he comes back.”

“And do you know what he does when he runs away? Do you know what happens to him?”

“You know I do.” Rik said softly and Cal grabbed him by the shoulders, his fingers crushing him and bruising his flesh.

“Do you know where he is? Do you? Do your friends?”

Rik shook his head sadly. “No Cal I’m sorry. He isn’t in any of the places he usually goes.”

“So this is different. It is – wrong.”

“Steady on Cal. Calm down. You are going to give yourself a heart attack.”

“I’m not doing the interview,” he said abruptly and got to his feet.

“Cal, will you please calm down? It’s going to be okay.”

“You don’t understand; none of you understand. It was my fault; all of this was my fault. Jayden was happy. He was happier than he’s been for months, years. He was finally letting me in and I spoiled it all. It was me. It was all me. It’s my fault. Oh God!” He started pacing again. “If anything happens to him it will be my fault.”

“Cal, none of this is your fault.”

“How can you say that? He ran away from me. I let him down.”

“For fuck sake he wanted you to hurt him Cal. He asked you to HURT him. How could he expect someone who loves him to do that?”

Cal stared at him for a moment. “Better someone who loves him than someone who doesn’t.” There was shocked silence until Cal got up and strode into the studio.

The interview went surprisingly well. The interviewer had been told not to mention Jayden on pain of death and having seen what happened to Manya, kept strictly to the mandate.

Cal was a brooding presence who flinched every time Jayden’s name was mentioned. The interviewer wondered more than once whether there was any truth in the rumour that Jayden had run off after a lover’s tiff with Cal, but he dared not ask. The official line was that Jayden was exhausted after the concert and was resting in a private location while the rest of the band threw themselves into the media storm that had followed the concert.

When the band came off set they found an unusually agitated Jeff. “Cal, be calm. I’ve got news.”

“News? About Jayden?”

“Cal, not here. Come outside to the car and I’ll explain on the way.”

“On the way?” Cal growled. “On the way where?”

“Calm down Cal,” Jeff insisted, “and just come with me.”

It was all very well for Jeff to say ‘calm down’ but how could he? What did ‘news’ mean? Was Jayden alright? Was he hurt? Was he...?

“Jeff, I...”

“Outside Cal,” he repeated firmly as they all followed him through the corridors and out into the fresh air.

As soon as they hit the outside world Cal stopped, hands on hips and demanded, “Alright, we’re outside now. What’s happened? Where is he? Is he okay?”

“Easy Cal, I don’t know. I had a call from the police while you were on air...”

“The police? Oh God! What’s happened? Please Jeff.”

“They think they’ve found the bike.”

“What do you mean?” Cal asked unable to make sense of Jeff’s words.

“Someone found a bike that meets the description of the one Jayden was riding, in a field not far from the festival site. They want someone to ID it.”

“Was there...? Is he...? Did they find... anything else?”

“No Cal. I swear to you. There was no sign of anyone near the bike. Jayden wasn’t there.”

“But what if...? What...?”

“Cal, let’s just get to the site and speak to the police, and then we’ll see.”

They all piled into the car for a tense journey. Call babbled out his fears and everyone else listened silently.

When they got to the field they were met by Alex, the roadie whose bike it was. Jeff had contacted him as soon as he got the news. Alex looked pale and shaken.

“It’s definitely my bike,” he said, moistening his lips. “Definitely.”

“Is it much damaged?”

“Pretty much mangled. It looks like it’s bounced around in the field, it made a deep groove in the earth where it slid so it was going hard and fast. It was right in the middle of a blackberry bush, scratched to hell. It’s a miracle it was found. Some guy was out walking his dog and it ran away and wouldn’t come back. He went looking for it and it was barking at the bush. He saw a flash, investigated and when he saw the bike he called the police.”

“Are there any signs of what happened to Jayden?”

Alex shook his head. “Nothing. There’s no blood on the bike or anywhere in the field so it doesn’t look like he was hurt too badly,” he said more hopefully that certainly. “There are no clothes or ripped cloth or anything.”

“So he got up and walked away,” Cal said with desperate hope.

“Hopefully. The guy who found the bike said that his dog was acting strangely on Sunday morning too, barking at something in the field. He was going to check on it but the dog came back before he went looking and so he didn’t think anything more of it. He could have been barking at the bike then too. They haven’t been this way since.”

“He could have been barking at Jayden,” Cal persisted.

“It’s possible.”

“So why didn’t he call out? Why didn’t he tell the man he was there? What if he was hurt? What if he couldn’t?”

“Cal, you’re putting two and two together to make six. If Jayden had been that hurt he would have... he wouldn’t have walked away. The chances are that Jayden had already gone before the dog came. He was probably barking at the bike then too.”

“Where would he have gone?” Cal asked single mindedly, looking around.

“There’s a castle or something up on the hill, I saw the sign for it on the way up.” Luc volunteered.

“Why would Jayden go to a castle when he’d just come off the bike?”

“The sign had crossed cutlery on it. If Jayden had seen the sign, and let’s face it, why on earth would he have come up here if he hadn’t, then surely he would have gone there, knowing there was someone there.”

Cal nodded shortly and began to stride up the road.

“Cal wait, will you please get back in the car?”

Cal ignored him and continued to power up the hill. He needed it; needed the activity; needed the exertion. The car passed him only feet from the car park. Cal ignored it and headed for the cafe.

There were three police cars in the car park but no sign of any of the occupants.

“Wait here,” Cal growled as the boys caught up with him. They fell back except for Rik who stayed by his shoulder.

When they entered the cafe, they found themselves in a surprisingly pleasant space. Two police officers were leaning against the counter drinking tea.

A plump and pleasant looking middle aged woman was talking to them. Her eyes widened when Cal walked in. She hurried out from behind the counter and bore down on him. Cal was somewhat taken aback when she took his hands.

“It’s you. I knew you’d come. I told him to call but I could see in his eyes that he just wasn’t going to, not then, he wasn't ready. I would have called you myself but I didn’t think there was any way I would be able to get through. Did he call you? Did he make it right? I’ve been thinking about you both and I so, so hoped you would.”

“I...what? I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Your boy, Jayden. He promised me that he would call you and make it right. I’ve been praying he would.”

“Jayden? You’ve seen Jayden?”

“Yes; early Sunday morning. He came in and had breakfast.”

Cal clasped her hands so hard she yelped. He was oblivious. “Was he alright? Please – was he alright?”

“He was a bit battered and bruised hun but he ate breakfast and spoke to me, and he walked out of here on his own two feet. I offered to take him to the hospital but he said he was fine.”

“Jayden would have said that if he was dying.” But the panic was fading from his voice.

“He was fine.”

“Where did he go?” He asked more calmly. “When he left here, where did he go?”

“Someone picked him up, a woman.”

Cal couldn’t have been more shocked if she had slapped him. “Goddamn it. Who would have picked him up and not told me? A woman? Who?”

“He called her Kelly,” she said helpfully.

“Kelly?” Cal spat with venom. “What the hell was that bitch doing here?” he growled.

“He said he’d called her.”

“But why? Why the fuck would he have called her? He hates the bitch; we all do.”

“Oh well, then you must be thinking of a different Kelly because he was obviously very close to this one.”

“Describe her, describe the woman who came for him.”

“Well,” the woman said, a little taken aback. “She was about average size, reddish hair in a ponytail, blue eyes... I suppose she looked a little like him, like Jayden. He said she was his sister and when I saw them together it was easy to believe they were related.”

Cal snatched back his hands and bolted for the door with Rik right behind him.

They hadn’t taken three steps out of the door before they were stopped by a deep voice behind them.

“If we could have a quick word please, Sir?”

They turned to find that the two police officers had followed them out.

“Sgt Bowden and PC Coomer,” he identified.

“I’m sorry, I don’t have time...”

“This will just take a moment, Sir,” Sgt Bowden said pleasantly but in a tone that made it quite clear that there wasn’t really any choice. Reluctantly Cal paused and glared at them.

“They might be able to help us,” Rik encouraged.

“What do you want? I need to...” He still sounded impatient but no longer hostile.

“I appreciate your time, Sir; and I appreciate that this is very difficult for you.” Cal narrowed his eyes but the policeman seemed concerned and genuine.

“Yes, it is,” he said more calmly.

“I couldn’t help but overhear what you said inside. You seem to know the woman who collected Jayden from here on Sunday.”

“Yes, I do. Why do you want to know?”

“Jayden has been officially reported as missing and, especially considering recent events we are taking this very seriously and are as interest in finding him as you are.”

“I doubt that. Wait... he was reported missing? By whom? When? Why has no one told me?”

“I’m sorry, Sir, I can’t answer those questions and only because I don’t know. I’m just a grunt in this case,” he said, smiling with genuine warmth.”This one is D C Blake’s baby. If you want any more information call him. I understand your manager has his details.”

“Jeff?”

“I believe so.”

Cal was really confused by now. What the hell was going on?

“Anyway, Sir; the woman?”

“Woman?” Cal blinked, called back from his shocked musings.

“The woman who collected Jayden,” Sgt Bowden repeated patiently.

“It was Kelly, his sister; queen bitch and godforsaken leech who paid no attention whatever to her brother until he started getting known.”

Sgt Bowden stifled a smile. “Do you know where she lives?”

“Not a clue. I never asked.”

“What about a contact number?”

“No, I never wanted it, why would I? I didn’t know that Jayden had it either.”

“Do you have anything to go on?”

Cal ground his teeth and growled. “Not a fucking thing. We hadn’t seen her for years before she just turned up at the hospital and then she appeared out of the blue and hovered like a vulture until I had the bitch thrown out and as far as I know she hasn’t seen him or been in contact since. But what do I know?” he couldn’t resist commenting bitterly.

“Do you have any idea why Jayden might have contacted her?”

“None. It’s crazy. He hates her.”

Sergeant Bowden nodded. “Is there anything else you can think of that might help us find her?”

“I only wish there was,” Cal said helplessly.

Sgt. Bowden nodded. “There’s one more thing,” he said. “I’m sorry to have to ask you this but is there anything about the situation that gives you cause to believe that there may have been foul play?”

“What do you mean?” Cal asked, confused.

“Do you think that Jayden may have been taken or held against his will?”

Cal looked at him and his heart did a somersault. He had to swallow bile before he could even attempt to respond. “Honestly? Until now all I’ve had is a feeling that something is not right. Now, knowing that Kelly is involved... it’s still just a feeling but it’s a whole lot stronger.”

The sergeant nodded and snapped closed his notebook. “If you think of anything else please let me know. Your manager has the details of how to get in touch.”

“Thank you.” His mind already on different things, Cal turned away.

“What the fuck is going on?” he demanded as soon as he saw Jeff.

“What do you mean?” Jeff asked, drawing back a little.

“The police; someone reported Jayden missing to the police.”

Jeff paled slightly. “I would have told you, Cal but I knew it would only it would only make you panic even more.”

“Why?” he asked simply.

“Because I was worried. You’re right; Jayden should have been back by now, or at least been in touch. He’s always been in touch, even if only sending a text. And there’s something that’s just not right about the whole thing. I rang the police officer who dealt with the investigation when Jayden was kidnapped. He was very discrete last time and I thought that it wouldn’t hurt just to ask a little advice. Of course this has taken things up a notch.”

“But why didn’t you say something?”

“You were in such a state Cal. You were so worried, I was afraid that if I showed you how concerned I was, it would have...”

“Would have what?”

“Would have sent you over the edge Cal. You’ve been close to it for days.”

Cal opened his mouth to speak then closed it again. With effort he forced his voice to remain calm. “Have they said anything? Have they found anything?”

Jeff shook his head sadly. “No, but if they hadn’t already been involved they might never have linked the bike with Jayden. They might not have called me. They might not have been involved at all.”

Cal sagged. “I don’t know what to do Jeff.” He stared at the floor blinking away the tears that had sprung to his eyes. “That policeman was asking if I thought Jay had been taken or held against his will and I didn’t, not until then; but now I’m no so sure. I mean why they hell would he have gone off with that bitch Kelly?”

“Kelly?” the boys chorused and Cal looked up sharply at one unusual note, a guilty edge to one of the exclamations. Luc was staring at him with an expression that was part shock and part guilt. Cal narrowed his eyes.

“What do you know? You always liked that cow; god only knows why.”

“I... I don’t know anything,” Luc stammered.

“I know you know something so don’t even bother to try and deny it. You are transparent Luc, you always have been.”

“I don’t know why he’s gone with her now; I swear I didn’t know he had gone.”

“But?”

“But I did know they’d been in touch.”

“Why didn’t you say anything?” Cal demanded. “Why didn’t he?”

“I didn’t say anything because I promised him I wouldn’t and because I knew how important it was to him. I can’t say why he didn’t tell you except...” He squared his shoulders. “Except maybe it was because he knew how you would react.”

“But why? Why would he want anything to do with that self serving, scheming, selfish bitch?”

“Because she is his sister and obviously he doesn’t agree with your opinion of her.”

“But..”

“Okay Cal lets schedule this conversation for another time. At east we know where Jayden is and we know he’s safe.”

“Do we? I don’t know about you but I’m less sure now that he’s safe than I was before.”

“Don’t be silly Cal. Kelly wouldn’t hurt Jayden.”

“Wouldn’t she?” Cal ground out.

“Don’t you think you are being a little over dramatic painting Kelly as the wicked one?” Luc asked defensively.

“Maybe – and no, I don’t think that Kelly would hurt Jayden physically, he’s too useful to her for that, but she would hurt him in other ways. I mean, why hasn’t he been in touch? That’s her; she’s poisoning him against us, against me.”

“That’s rich, since you were the one who drove him away in the first place.” For a moment there was complete silence and then Luc found himself pinned against the side of the car with Cal’s hand at his throat.

“You listen to me you fucking bastard; no matter what happened between me and Jay, he loves me and he knows that I love him. There is no way he would have stayed away from me for three days without a word unless she was making him.”

By this time the other boys had dragged Cal away from him and Luc, rubbing his throat, snapped. “No one makes Jay do anything he doesn’t want to do. If he hasn’t rung it’s because he doesn’t want to and frankly if that’s the way you treat him I’m not surprised.”

For a moment Cal fought madly with Rik and Ashton who were holding him, and then he collapsed, sagging against Rik’s side. “But that’s the point isn’t it? That’s the problem – I couldn’t... not with him. I couldn’t.” He completely broke down for the first time and Rik held him as his body shook with wracking sobs.

“I... I’m sorry man. I didn’t mean...”

Jeff shook his head at Luc, indicating that now really wasn't a good time to be trying to have any kind of conversation with Cal.

Once the storm passed Cal pushed away from Rik, wiping at his face and feeling acutely embarrassed. He stared at the ground for a while then turned to Luc with downcast eyes.

“I’m sorry,” he mumbled. “You were doing it for Jay, I know that. You did more than I did.”

“No Cal. I shouldn’t have said that. I was so completely wrong. I know you love Jayden and I know he loves you and of course you couldn’t have hurt him, not even if he wanted you to. He just needs space Cal. I’m sure that he will get in touch soon once he’s had some space.”

Cal looked blank for a moment then he took a deep breath and drew himself up. “Do you know where she lives?”

Luc’s eyes widened. “No, Cal. If he wanted to talk to you he would have called.”

“I just need to know, Luc. I need to see him just so I know.” There was no need to say more. After meeting Cal’s eyes steadily for a few moments Luc nodded.

“I’ve been there once before, with Jayden.”

“When?” Cal asked sharply.

“A few days after the Manya interview.”

“But...” Now Cal was just confused.

“I told you Cal, if he had wanted you to know he...”

“Did he ask you not to tell me?” Luc flushed uncomfortably and turned away. “Luc!?”

“Yes,” he murmured not meeting Cal’s eyes.

Cal felt a flash of anger at both of them but it very quickly died into bleakness. “You had better drive.”

Without another word Luc nodded and got into the driving seat. The rest bundled into the car saying nothing because there was really nothing else to say.

It was a tense journey with little conversation and Cal was a brooding presence staring out of the window: angry, frustrated, and most of all desperately sad.

It took just over an hour before they pulled up outside a small, terraced house in a completely unremarkable street. It would have taken less time if Luc had not got lost at the end. Cal was nervous and almost changed his mind about getting out of the car. Maybe he wouldn’t have if Rik hadn’t asked him gently as they pulled up:

“Are you really sure you want to do this?” which of course meant, Cal being Cal, that he really did have to.

He didn’t know whether to be relieved or disappointed when, after 15 minutes of knocking, it became obvious that there was no one at home. He was about to get back into the car when the door of the next door house opened and a voice said. “She’s not in, you know. They’ve gone to see her sister.”

Cal blinked at the wizened old woman who appeared on the doorstep. “They – have?”

“Yes, although if you ask me they shouldn’t have.”

“They – shouldn’t?”

“No. And I told her. I said ‘that poor boy’s not up to travelling all that way’, but they never listen to me.”

“They – don’t?”

“Never.” She shook her head.

Cal blinked, feeling that he had somehow stumbled into some kind of bad comedy sketch.

“Er – who are you talking about?” he asked, a little stunned.

“Well Kelly of course,” she said narrowing her eyes and peering at Cal suspiciously. “You were looking for her weren’t you?”

“I... um... yes...no. No, I was... I am looking for Jayden.”

“Jayden? Who the hell is that? There’s no one called Jayden living there. Kelly’s boy is Lyndon, but he’s not there either. He’s taken the kids to his mother’s on account of Kelly’s brother coming to stay.”

Cal stared at her, stunned for a moment, while his mind caught up. “That’s Jayden,” he said slowly. “I mean her brother’s name is Jayden.”

“Then why didn’t you say so?” she grumbled, her suspicion deepening.

“I’m sorry. I suppose I should have – “

“Are you his friends?”

“Um yes... yea I am – we are.”

“You should get him to take better care of himself,” she said accusingly. “He looks dreadful.”

“He hasn’t been very well,” Cal said defensively.

“That’s what she said – Kelly. I told her she shouldn’t be taking him off visiting like that, but she said they’d take good care of him.”

“They? Who?”

“Kelly and her sister,” she repeated exasperatedly. “I told you that’s where they’ve gone.”

“Anya?” Cal said with considerable surprise.

“That’s right.” Now it was the woman’s turn to sound surprised. “You do know them.”

“Yes, I do, I know them very well; too well. Where does Anya live?”

“I’m not sure I know. Up country somewhere, not far. She visits often.”

“Are you sure you don’t know where?”

“As sure as I can be,” she said thoughtfully. “I think it’s back where they’re from. I’m not sure if she said her sister was still living at home with her parents.”

“Well I know for a fact that isn't true.”

“Oh well – if you know then there’s no point you asking me is there?”

“No – wait. Please wait.” The woman had turned to go back inside but at his pleas she turned again, frowning. “Please, I’m sorry. Is there anything else you can think of, anything at all?”

“I thought you knew them. I thought you knew ‘for sure’,” she said spitefully, a nasty little smile accompanying the condescending look on her face.

“Not where Anya lives I don’t.”

Sensing the desperate need in the woman to be ‘in the know’ he volunteered; “Look – Jayden and I are... friends, very good friends and we had a stupid row. He stormed off. We’ve both been stubborn and stupid and I want to make it right. It’s really, really important that I see him as soon as I possibly can and I just want to know where he is.”

The woman scowled at him. “Some friend you are doing that to the poor boy in the state he was in.” She stopped as Cal took a step towards her, his face twisted with frustration and anxiety.

“You’ve said that before; ‘the state he was in’. What does it mean? I mean, he’s been ill but he wasn’t that bad.”

“Oh well of course you would now,” she sniffed. “Poor boy could barely walk. Kelly had to help him into the car.”

Cal’s stomach twisted and flipped. “Please; he had an accident, he was hurt but I didn’t know how much. ou’ve got to tell me – you have to tell me where he is. You have to tell me where Anya lives.”

“Oh I do, do I?” she snapped, shrinking back further as he took another anxious step towards her. “I’ve told you what I know. She lives with their parents. But of course you know better. You know for a fact.” She flounced inside and slammed the door in his face.

“Wait. Please wait – ahh shit!” He kicked the wall in frustration then turned and got back into the car.

“What happened?” Rik asked as he climbed in. “They’ve gone to Anya’s and Jayden’s hurt,” he said baldly.

“What do you mean?”

“I don’t fucking know what I mean. She said he’s hurt – or sick. Kelly had to help him into the car. For fuck sake, why didn’t she call me? Why didn’t she call anyone?”

“Easy Cal. Maybe he’s sore after the accident. It’s only been three days.” Cal closed his eyes and took a deep breath, then opened them again nodding shortly.

“Yes. Sure.”

“They’ve gone to Anya’s?” Luc commented.

“Yeah, apparently.”

“Where does Anya live?”

“She doesn’t know. She thinks Anya still lives with her parents,” he said scornfully. Rik and Ashton exchanged glances and Cal frowned at them. “What?”

“Well, obviously she doesn’t live with them, but we never heard what happened to the house. She could have gone back there.”

Cal’s eyes widened. “She wouldn’t have. Not even Kelly would have been so cruel as to have taken Jay there.”

“Maybe he wanted to go.” Cal glared at him. “Well maybe she thought it would help.” Another glare. “Maybe Anya doesn’t even live there. That woman was as mad as a fish.” The glare continued unremittingly. Luc sighed. “I’ll just drive then shall I?”

Copyright © 2010 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..