Jump to content
    NightOwl88
  • Author
  • 3,775 Words
  • 10,857 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Max and Josh - 1. The Beginning

Disclaimer: This story includes sexual and romantic situations between consenting individuals. Any allusion to illicit or illegal activity, sexual or otherwise, is used only for enhancement of the story line and not promotion thereof. Remember AIDS, HIV and other STDs are a very real threat, please always practice safe sex.

I can prove copyright on this story so please don't copy or remove this story for personal use without my permission.
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Max and Josh 01: The Beginning

Max stood in front of his locker reading a book while he waited for his friends Josh Mathews and Frank Thomas to meet him forlunch, it was the only period the three of them would share this year. He and Josh had three classes together and lunch with Frank while Josh and Frank would be together the rest of the time, except for English which he and Frank would share.

He was so engrossed in his book that he hardly took notice of the looks of interest he was getting from the girls in the hall. He was proud of the way he looked. He had close-cut, dark brown hair, wore small oval glasses, and was around six feet tall with a muscular build from all the weight lifting he did. But the feature he was complemented most on was his beautiful eyes. Normally they were a dark hazel but would shift between brown and greenish hues if he was feeling a particularly strong emotion.

He looked up from his page to see his friends coming toward him. Like usual he noticed Josh first. Other than standing nearly a head higher than most of the students in the hall Josh wasn't all that noticeable. Josh's quiet, unassuming attitude caused most people to not give him a second glance but Max always noticed him.

He was nearly five inches taller then Max with a lean, hard muscled body sculpted from his participation on the Track and Swim teams. He had vivid green eyes and his black hair had just started to grow back from when he had shaved his head over the summer.

Frank was shorter; around five foot two, with dark blond hair that was curly on top but straight on the sides from where he kept it cut. Like Josh he was slim but more muscled. He had a rep as a bad ass from all the fights he got into in junior high not to mention the boxing lessons he had been taking at the local gym, and he had hawk like blue eyes that never failed to miss when something wasn't right.

That's why Max was always careful, careful not to look too often, careful about what he said and how he acted. Max had some major secrets he did not want his friends to find out about yet.

Max was gay and in two years of friendship had never told them, although he was surprised they had not already found out.

Over the summer he had heard about a few rumors about him and a few others being gay, he only hoped they hadn't heard them and if they had they hadn't believed them. Another of Max's secrets was that he had a crush on Josh and had since the first day they'd met. He had been able to keep it secret though. After what had happened with Tim in Chicago he swore he would never get involved with a friend again.

"Hey Max. What’s up man?" Josh's voice pulled him from his thoughts.

"Nothing much, just waiting for you two jackasses to show up." He replied with a smile.

"Sorry bout that. Frank had to stop and talk to some girl he thought was staring at him in History,” Josh said with a wink at Max, “he's crazy though, she was looking at me." He finished with a laugh.

"Whatever man, she was looking at me." Frank said with his usual cocky grin.

Max was glad to hear Josh joking around. He had really come out of his shell since they met, but he was still guarded around most people.

"Yea whatever Frank, lets get to lunch. I'm starving." Josh said as he started to walk away so Max fell into step next to the two of them and headed for the cafeteria.

"What are you reading Max?" Frank asked him as he made to stow his book in his pack.

"Oh. The…uh...Shadowmancer, My grandma sent it to me for my birthday." Max said as he zipped and slung his bag back on his shoulder.

"Any good?" Josh asked turning to Max.

"It's all right its Christian based but other then that it is OK" He replied.

Another thing about Max was that he was a Wiccan and had been practicing for seven years.

“So what did you bring for lunch?" Frank asked Max.

"Oh not sure, mom made it before she went to bed this morning. She likes to make the first one of the year. It looked like a sandwich and chips when I stuffed it and a bottle of tea into my pack." Max said with a shrug.

Max's mom was a doctor and did night rounds at the hospital during the week so she slept the time he was at school.

"Damn you’re lucky; I would give anything to bring my own food." Josh replied

"Why do you bring your lunch?" Frank asked as he and Josh started through the line.

"You know I'm a Health nut, anything I bring has got to be healthier then this slop." Max said in a hushed tone as to not cause the lunch lady to look up.

"I'll go get us a table while the two of you load up." He said

"Cool." They replied as he slipped past them.

"Good answer.” Max told himself as he made for a table near the back of the room.

Max's final secret was that he had a rare form of diabetes called Insulin Resistance. He had to take medication twice a day, and avoid sugar and fat but didn't have to take insulin shots.

His blood sugar could still drop and if it dropped too fast he would get pale, break out in a cold sweat, and get shaky, and maybe pass out. He hadn't told Josh and Frank because he didn't think it was a big deal. He hadn't "crashed" as he termed it in three years so he didn't see the point in telling people.

He sat down at the table, unzipped his bag and pulled out a square plastic container with a sandwich and chips in it and also pulled out a bottle of tea and took a drink, Tangerine-Orange one of his favorites.

He had started on his chips when he saw Josh and Frank looking around for him so he whistled to get their attention. He tried not to look at Josh as they came toward the table but he couldn't help it. Josh always wore baggy clothes concealing his six-pack abs, muscled chest, and long muscular legs. He knew what Josh looked like without clothes. Over the past two years Josh, Frank and he had a number of overnighter’s at Max's house and Josh always slept topless. He also knew what Josh looked like completely naked from in the locker room after gym class.

As Josh and Frank sat down they pulled Max from his thoughts yet again.

"Damn I'm hungry." Josh said as he started on his food.

"How can you be that hungry? It's only the first day,” Max said with an amused smile, “I know Lit. was a breeze and Chem. and History could not have been too tough" he finished.

"Well Chem. wasn't but the new History teacher is the most over bearing, bigoted son of a bitch I have ever met." Josh said in a hushed tone.

"What do you mean?" Max asked his curiosity now aroused.

"Well first of all you can't have any piercings in during his class, you either have to take them out or get out of his class. He made two students leave because they refused to take out earrings. Second, do not let it slip you that you are a Wiccan or you will be in the middle of a theological debate before you can say ‘theology’.” Josh finished.

"Ah shit, I got to go." Frank suddenly said.

"Why, what’s wrong?" Max asked.

"I forgot to get a note from my locker." Frank replied getting up from the table.

"What note?" Josh asked giving Frank a confused look.

"Just a class transfer note for the principal. If I go get it now, I can drop it off, sign the papers and make my next class without being late. I'll see you guys later." He said as he walked off.

"What class transfer note?" Max asked as he started on his sandwich.

"Got me, first time he's mentioned it." Josh said going back to his food.

"Hey what's the new teacher’s name?" Max asked

"Um Fleet, Mr. Ira Fleet, why?" Josh asked looking up at Max who looked like he had seen a ghost.

"Max, man what’s wrong?" Josh asked his voice suddenly full of concern.

"Well, if this is the same guy I am thinking of I could be in a good bit of trouble. You see, five years ago during the Summer Solstice celebration at Stonehenge this guy showed up and started preaching to the people there, telling them they were wrong and needed to repent.

He even smacked a Wiccan High Priest which pissed off everyone. By the time he managed to get out of there both arms were broken; he had three broken ribs, and a concussion. The guy’s last name was Fleet." Max finished.

"So you think it is the same guy?" Josh asked still sounding concerned.

"I don't know, maybe. Fleet isn't a very common name and I don't remember the first name." Max answered.

"Well even if it is as long as you don't say anything you'll be OK, I mean by law and school policy he can't ask you so be quiet and be cool." Josh said.

"Yeah right." Max mumbled. He hadn't noticed that he was clenching his fist on the table top till he felt Josh's hand slide over his own.

"Max man just relax,” he said as he squeezed his hand to make him unclench it, “Just walk in, take your seat, and keep your cool and it will be all right." Josh finished quietly.

"Yeah, you're right,” Max said as Josh pulled his hand off Max's now relaxed hand, “as long as no one who knows I am a Wiccan opens their mouth I'll be OK." Max said rubbing his hand and trying to remember the feel of Josh's hand on his. It was the kind of contact Max had always wanted from Josh but figured it would never happen; it was the first time their hands had ever touched in a more than a "friendly" way.

"Now there's the spirit,” Josh said in an odd pitched voice, “I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. I don't think there is anyone stupid enough to open their mouth in this guy’s class." Josh finished after clearing his throat.

"Yeah, the only person I would have to worry about would be Fay. Don't get me wrong Fay is a smart girl but sometimes she has trouble keeping her mouth closed."

Fay was another of Max's friends. He had actually met her in a chat room while he still lived in Chicago. She was a very pretty girl, had long dark hair, a terrific figure, and light amber colored eyes. If he had been into girls and her into guys he would have definitely been all over her in a heart beat. She was an amazing person, she knew from the second she saw him in person that he was gay. She told him she would keep it quiet as long as he did the same for her about being a lesbian. She was the only person he deliberately told since he had moved there from Chicago.

Somehow though a few girls on the cheer squad had heard a rumor about him and came up to him in the parking lot after school and asked him flat out if they were true. After promising they would keep it quiet he admitted that they were, so they, (to his great surprise), had said OK and left it at that, they even offered to discourage the rumor to help him out if he would tutor them, so he did and it was left at that.

"Well if rumor has passed as fast as usual Fay has probably heard by now and will keep it quiet,” Josh said, “I still think you should take a shot at her Max, she is one of the hottest girls in school." He finished with a suggestive smile.

"Na Man, Fay is like a sister to me. I can't even think of her that way." Max replied smiling to himself.

"Well then would you mind if I gave it a shot? I mean I don't want to piss off her big brother or anything." Josh said laughing as Max tossed a few chips at him.

"Well if you think you have a shot go ahead but her standards are pretty high. I don't know if you can meet them." Max said intending it to be a joke but seeing the look on Josh's face felt terrible. Josh had a thing about how he was never good enough, as if he never met some standard set by other people.

"Josh man. I am sorry. I didn't mean it like that. It was just me being stupid." Max said apologetically.

"I know Max,” Josh said, “you just caught me off guard is all. I know you didn't mean it, you have helped me more then anyone when it comes to my issues and I love you like a brother for it. After all, we are blood brothers remember?" Josh said.

"Yea, I remember." Max said.

It was true. Max remembered very well the night him, Josh and Frank became blood brothers thinking of the scar on his wrist. It had meant more to him then anything to have the two of them as brothers especially Josh. You see, Max had a brother two years his older. He had gone to live with his father when Max was eight.

They had barely seen each other in the past ten years especially after he told him and his father he was gay at the age of fourteen. They had managed to send him a card when he turned seventeen but other than that they hadn’t talked in years. He was not going to worry about the two of them though all he had left was this year and senior year and he was not going to spend them worrying about the two of them as far as he was concerned he had no father and Josh and Frank were his brothers.

"So what's our next class?" Josh asked.

"What, you expect me to know your next class as well as mine?" Max asked with a faulty indignant look. The truth was Max knew his and Josh and Franks schedules by heart; they had got them a week before school had started.

"So, does that mean you don't know?" Josh said with an odd smile.

"No, I know, but you shouldn't just expect me to. Anyway, we both have Gym next then you have Spanish and I have History; after that you're on your own.” Max said with a smile.

"Oh come on, tell me the rest." Josh whined.

"Sorry bro, that's all you get." Max said taking a drink of tea.

"Fine, be that way then." Josh said rummaging in his pack for his schedule.

"It's good for you; I mean what would you do if I weren't here to remember it for you?" Max asked as he stuffed his tea and container back into his backpack.

Josh paused for a minute in his rummaging before he answered.

"Man, don't even joke about that. I would go nuts without you here,” he said, looking at Max seriously, “I mean who would remember my schedule for me, Frank?" He finished after a second in his normal voice but not quite meeting Max's eyes.

"Yea, whatever man. Come on lets go, old man Mc'Cayhe will go spare if we're late for the first class of the year." Max replied in a cool tone but on the inside he was feeling extremely weird. He could have sworn that Josh was going to say something other then what he had. But he figured it was just his own emotions fucking with him again. All he knew was if he couldn't get them under control he might have to break off his friendship with Josh and that would kill him.

"So, I don't see why we have to take Gym the first day anyway, all he is going to do is give us the sex ed. talk that we have heard a thousand times before, then make us run laps for fifteen minutes." Josh said with what sounded like relief in his voice as he got up to make for class.

"Yea I know but we still have to show up." Max said getting up to follow Josh making sure to try to keep his eyes above shoulder level till they could walk side by side.

"So are you on the lifting team again this year?" Josh asked.

"I don't know. I’ll have to talk to Mc'Cayhe after class today. I might be or he might have cut me. He was pretty pissed when we lost at the State Championship last year." Max finished with a shrug.

"So, that wasn't your fault." Josh said looking over at him.

"Yea but if I hadn't folded on that last bench press we might have won." Max argued back.

"Yea man but according to the Doc. that was there if you had managed that last press you might have never lifted again, and I know how pissed off you would've been if that had happened." Josh said.

"Yea but . . .” but Josh cut him off,

"Look man, it wasn't your fault you guys lost at state last year,” Josh said sounding angry, “The other team was just a bit better then you guys were; now self doubt and guilt tripping is my problem so just put it to rest, deal?” Josh finished still sounding a bit heated.

Max looked a little awed at Josh's reaction; he usually wasn't the yelling type. Maybe he had helped Josh a bit more then he had thought.

"Sorry but I can't stand to have someone invading my messed up mental territory so I had to put a stop to it." Josh said his voice resuming his normal tone as he started walking again.

Max hadn't realized they had stopped in the middle of the hall.

"Look man,” Max said reaching out to stop Josh from moving, “thanks, I needed to be yelled at like that, and you're not as messed up as you think. You yelling at me like that proved it." Max said squeezing Josh’s shoulder for a few seconds before starting down the hall again.

"You coming?" He said to Josh over his shoulder.

"Yea, I'll be there in a minute. I've got to use the bathroom before class,” he said with an odd look on his face, “you go though, the old man will razz you more than me if you’re late." Josh finished.

"All right, I will see you there." Max said turning to go.

* * *

Josh made sure the bathroom was empty before he went to one of the sinks and splashed cold water on his face.

"What the hell is the matter with you,” he said looking at his reflection in the mirror, “do you want to blow your friendship with Max?”

His friendship with Max was one of the most important things in his life. Ever since they had met in the last year of junior high they had been friends. Max had helped him so much in the past few years. It was incredible all the time Max spent with him, talking to him and helping him work through his shyness and self doubt shit.

Max had been the greatest of friends and at first that had been enough for him, but over time he started to see Max in a different way. He started to think what it would be like to kiss him, or touch him, at first he thought it was because of all the time they had been spending together.

With school, hanging out, and the sleepovers they had spent a lot of the first year of their friendship together. But as time went on it got more intense, especially after he asked Max if he could start lifting weights with him; which had two effects on him.
One, he was able to build a bit more muscle, but seeing Max topless on his back pumping weights and sweating did nothing to calm his desires. Seeing him like that only made him want him more. But he had to keep his feelings to himself; he didn't want to lose Max's friendship and since Max had never shown any interest in guys he figured Max was straight and if he was and didn't have any interest in guys he was not going to fuck up his friendship over it. Second, he had helped him overcome his insecurities, which he greatly appreciated.

He just had to keep quiet and keep cool; he had already slipped up a few times, today in the hall and at the lunch table when he grabbed Max's hand. He hadn't even thought about it, he just reached out and grabbed it. He had to be more careful 'cause if he couldn't keep in control he might have to just tell Max and see what happened, either way he was sure this year was not going to be an easy year.

"Good luck." He told his reflection as he turned to leave.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
To be continued . . .

Thanks to Rush for assisting in editing my story.

I hope you enjoyed the chapter, more to follow soon. If you have any comments, suggestions or criticisms I would love to hear it, email me at allenarcane88@yahoo.comPM me or visit the discussion forum. I read and respond to everything.

Copyright © 2014 NightOwl88; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So, Max and Josh :D

 

I think this was a really interesting start and introduction to the lead characters. I will read on and give you my mind later. :)

Link to comment
On 05/01/2011 12:09 AM, Marzipan said:
So, Max and Josh :D

 

I think this was a really interesting start and introduction to the lead characters. I will read on and give you my mind later. :)

Hello Marzipan, glad to meet you. I am glad that you liked the start of the story, I hope you enjoy the rest of it as much. Best.Owl
Link to comment

I like how you started here. You introduced the main players and managed to delve briefly into their feelings. Not to mention we learned some key info about Max and Josh. I'm curious to see how this plays out. Also loved that thus far its like the typical first day of school

 

Link to comment
On 07/20/2012 02:30 PM, Jammi said:
I like how you started here. You introduced the main players and managed to delve briefly into their feelings. Not to mention we learned some key info about Max and Josh. I'm curious to see how this plays out. Also loved that thus far its like the typical first day of school

Hello Fleeting, good to meet you.

 

I'm glad that you enjoyed the introduction chapter. I wanted there to be just enough information to get folks interested and hopefully keep them interested.

 

I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

best

Owl

Link to comment

So both are crushing on each other but don't know and won't say anything cause they don't want to take the chance of blowing there friendship. It will be interesting to see the reaction when they come out to each other. Where do I get the idea that Fleet is going to be a huge pain in the ass for Max?

Link to comment
On 08/03/2013 12:20 PM, Daithi said:
So both are crushing on each other but don't know and won't say anything cause they don't want to take the chance of blowing there friendship. It will be interesting to see the reaction when they come out to each other. Where do I get the idea that Fleet is going to be a huge pain in the ass for Max?
Hello Daithi, good to meet you.

 

First off thank you so much for reviewing. I love to hear from folks. it might be a bit of a played out concept but I thought it would be an emotional way to start out the story.

 

I hope that you got the idea that he would be a pain in the ass from the hints that I wrote into him.

 

I hope that you enjoy what it is to come.

 

best,

Owl

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..