Jump to content
    NightOwl88
  • Author
  • 9,576 Words
  • 5,087 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Max and Josh - 21. Mark

Disclaimer: This story includes sexual and romantic situations between consenting individuals. Any allusion to illicit or illegal activity, sexual or otherwise, is used only for enhancement of the story line and not promotion thereof. Remember AIDS, HIV and other STDs are a very real threat, please always practice safe sex.

I can prove copyright on this story so please don't copy or remove this story for personal use without my permission.
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Max and Josh 21: Mark

 

The rest of November passed without many issues for Max and his friends, though it did present Max with something new to deal with.

 

The school had finally worked out all of the issues it had been having so the weightlifting team was back on.

 

The Wednesday following Thanksgiving Coach Mc’Cayhe gathered Max, Tom and the rest of the team together after Gym class to let them know.

 

“Since the Principle has finally gotten off his ass and made a decision you guys will be meeting once a week, Thursday after school, for training. Given that tomorrow is Thursday, and the last day of the month, you’ll start training next week.”

 

Max smiled at the announcement, he had been hoping for weeks that things would get worked out.

 

“Do we have enough time to get in shape before State in January Coach?” Aaron Alvarez asked and Mc’Cayhe nodded.

 

“If you six continue training on your own I’m sure you’ll be ready in time.” Mc’Cayhe answered, looking suddenly put out.

 

“You make it sound like you won’t be involved Coach.” Max turned at Tom’s voice, it was the first time he heard him speak in quite while.

 

“That’s because he won’t be.” Max turned toward that door of the gym at the vaguely familiar southern accent to see Mr. Clark standing there.

 

“You guys may or may not be familiar with Mr. Clark. Principle Stomps decided that it wouldn’t be good to split my focus between the Football and Weightlifting teams so Mr. Clark will be supervising you boys.” Mr. Mc’Cayhe motioned to Mr. Clark who came up to them; his limp more pronounced that Max remembered it.

 

His light brown hair was also shorter than Max remembered but as he walked up to Coach Mc’Cayhe he couldn’t help but take in how well built he was. His chest was thick and his waist was trim under his black t-shirt. Max couldn’t tell much about his legs under his jogging pants but noticed that he favored his left leg.

 

“I’ve got to see to the foot ball team Scott so I’ll leave these six in your capable hands.” Mc’Cayhe sneered as he walked out of the Gym.

 

“I won’t keep you guys long,” Mr. Clark said once he was out of the room, “I know Mc’Cayhe has already filled you in on when you’ll be training and I know that he has already set you your exercises but Thursday I want a full workout session to make sure you’re up to snuff, line-up changes are very possible.”

 

“So we might loose our starting position and become an alternate?” Aaron asked and Mr. Clark nodded.

 

“Yep, and you’re competition placement might change if I think it necessary. Will that be a problem with any of you?” He asked, looking around at the six of them.

 

Max wasn’t too worried about loosing his start position or competition position, he was start on bench presses; he had the strongest chest of the six of them.

 

An answer of mumbled ‘no’s’ chorused from the six of them and Mr. Clark nodded.

 

“Good, then you six can go; your next classes have been notified that you would be late. Mr. Moure I would like to have a fast word with you real fast though.”

 

* * *

Tom waited disinterestedly as the other members of the team filed out of the gym, hurrying off to their classes. Math was his next class; numbers was something he was pretty good at so he wasn’t worried about being late.

“Thanks for staying Mr. Moure. I wanted to have a frank conversation with you while I had the chance.” Mr. Clark waved Tom over to the bleachers and sat down.

“This might be inappropriate but word around here is that Max Calvin, our current bench press lead, is openly gay and that there is a certain negative history between the two of you.” Mr. Clark said as he stretched out his left leg.

“Max is openly gay and yea we have a history, I’ve attacked him once or twice; him and his boyfriend. If you want to cut me for that it’s fine. We’re no longer at each others throats if it makes any difference though.” Tom said with a shrug, at that point he really didn’t care if he got cut from the team, he hadn’t cared about much of anything lately, except his sketching.

“I’ll be perfectly honest with you Mr. Moure, I don’t tolerate bullying, racism, sexism, gender bias, or intolerance based race, religion, or sexual orientation on team’s I over see. Having said that though I’d like to keep you on this team; another bit of gossip I’ve picked up lately is that you seem to be cleaning up your act.”

Tom smiled a bit at Mr. Clarks words, he seemed to be a good guy; the kind of guy who would’ve probably knocked Tom flat on his ass a few months ago for his behavior. What really got him though was what Mr. Clark said about his reputation, it seemed his efforts were being noticed after all.

“I’ll be honest with you now Mr. Clark. When I first joined this team it was just to mess with Max Calvin; that was back when I was still screwing around and making an ass out of myself.
I don’t plan on making any issues for you or this team, or Calvin. I don’t know how long I’ll be sticking with this but I promise so long as I’m here I’ll tow the line and you won’t have any issues out of me when it comes to my previous behavior.” Tom noticed that Mr. Clark’s expression changed as he spoke, before he had maintained a cold, calculating look, now he looked at him appraisingly.

“Good, because I’d hate to have you expelled. Now you can get on to your next class. Tell Mr. Ward that I kept you late.” Mr. Clark replied as he struggled a bit to stand up.

As Mr. Clark headed for the Coach’s office Tom headed for Math class, feeling a little better about his choice to stay on the Weightlifting team. Mr. Clark would act as his fail safe during training sessions; keep him from doing something stupid.

                                                      *         *         *

Max moaned under Josh’s ministrations, his pectoral muscles were killing him. It was the seventh of December and the weight lifting team’s first training session and Mr. Clark has insisted on making up for lost time but putting them through hard session. Max had spent nearly twenty full minutes working on his bench press, taking only three short breaks.

Josh smiled, not really at Max’s discomfort, but more at the feeling of the hard muscles under his palms; Josh was rubbing out the kinks and soreness from his chest as Max’s triceps and arms were also sore.

“So training went well?” Josh asked, trying to keep the laughter out of his voice.

“Mr. Clark is a damn slave driver.” Max muttered as he looked up at his lover.

“He just wants you guys to be in shape, you have just under a month to get ready, plus we have that big break coming up soon for Christmas.” Josh replied, trying to sound reasonable.

Josh knew that Max’s grumbling was only superficial, Mr. Clark might have pushed them hard but Josh knew that Max at least would rise to the challenge; and loved every minute of it.

One thing that did worry Josh though was Max’s health. He was in great shape now but he had been in good shape the last time he nearly collapsed after his fight with Tom Moure too…Josh was worried that Max might over do it and run the risk of a repeat.

Josh was careful not to let Max see that worry though, he knew what it would to Max if he found out that he was worried about his health, Max would think that he thought he was weak.

As his hands drifted lower over Max’s torso though he managed to forget those troubling thoughts in lieu of the one inspired by the tent that had formed in the thick pajama bottoms Max wore.

That sight was enough to send the blood rushing below the waist band of his pajama pants. Both of them had changed after they’d showered in Max’s bathroom. In Max’s case it had been necessary, his work out had been tough, Josh joined for the fun of it.
Max had picked him up after training. He planned on spending the next three days with Max, not having to worry about his normal Friday night dinners because his grandparents were out of town.

Max’s eyes were closed so Josh shifted so that Max’s head was laying between his knees before he stretched forward and pushed Max’s bottoms and boxer briefs down his thighs, freeing his half hard cock.

Josh smiled at Max’s half moan when he leaned down, his warm breath ghosting over the head of Max’s erection.

“I don’t think we’ve tried this position before.” Max whispered and Josh felt Max’s hands ghosting up and down his sides.

Josh didn’t speak but leaned down and took Max into his mouth. The difference in position, Josh’s tongue against the top of his cock instead of the underside, had Max whimpering.

“That’s…that’s different.” Max said breathlessly, Josh just chuckled around his cock. The vibrations making Max go crazy.

Max wasn’t one to be left out though, Josh felt him push his pajama bottoms back down his legs. Max moaned at the sight of Josh’s long cock hovering above him.

Instead of taking his cock straight down Max decided to explore a bit instead. Leaning up he ran his tongue down the length of the underside of Josh’s cock, from tip to root before running it over his low hanging sac.

Josh moaned around Max at the sensation and damn near jumped out of his skin as Max’s tongue slid behind his genitals and across his perineum.

Max didn’t stop there though, he pushed Josh pajamas back further and maneuvered Josh so that he could run his tongue up between Josh’s ass cheeks right to the tight, pink, pucker of skin.

Letting Max’s cock slip from between his lips Josh cursed at the unfamiliar, and thoroughly amazing, sensation.

“D…Don’t st…stop…not yet.” Josh managed to stutter out.

Max though had no intention of stopping; he pulled the muscular mound of flesh further apart to give himself better access. Max pressed deeper, probing, licking his lover open.

Josh felt his legs start to tremble as Max rimmed him, forgetting that he was suppose to be pleasuring Max as well he wrapped his hand around his lover’s neglected cock, his mouth too occupied by moaning.

Max bucked into Josh’s fist, hungry for the renewed pleasure. Feeling that Josh was loose enough Max pulled his tongue away from Josh’s slicked entrance. Josh’s groan of disappointment was replaced by a quick yelp of pain that turned into renewed pleasure as Max slipped not one but two spit lubed fingers inside of him and nudged his prostate.

“Oh god.” Josh moaned, his grip tightening on Max’s cock.

Following the same path as before Max took josh’s cock as deep as he could in the new position. Max wanted to bring Josh off just like this, the double stimulation. When Josh started to rock back and forth on his fingers he knew he was close.

Max re-doubled his efforts and managed to deep throat Josh’s long cock. With his nose tucked against Josh’s perineum he was assaulted by the scent of sweat, soap, pheromones and Josh’s own heady natural scent. The combination sent Max’s heart rate up, causing his body to flush and a moan to escape his throat.

The vibration for Max’s moan was the last straw for Josh, with a strangled cry his whole body shook as he came hard down Max’s throat.

Warned by the tightening of Josh’s ass around his fingers Max managed to eagerly swallow Josh down.

After a few moments Max managed to gently maneuver his boneless lover on his back and kissed his way up Josh’s body till he could bury his face against his neck.

“You’re amazing…that was amazing.” Josh whispered quietly as Max pressed a kiss to his neck.

Max hummed in agreement, gently rutting his still hard cock against Josh’s soft one.

Josh, feeling selfish, wrapped his hand around Max’s cock and stroked him furiously; luckily Max was leaking enough pre-cum to make the process smooth.

“Want to feel you on my skin.” Josh said quietly as Max began to thrust into his lovers’ fist.

It wasn’t long before Max came, biting down on Josh shoulder he erupted over Josh’s hand, chest and stomach; his ears deaf to Josh groan at the feel of his teeth.

Max covered Josh’s body with his own, spreading his seed across their torso’s, as he kissed and licked the quickly forming bruise on his lovers neck.

“I’m sorry…I didn’t mean to do that…are you ok?” Max apologized quietly against Josh’s throat; he was afraid to look up into Josh’s face.

Josh though took hold of Max’s chin and made him look up at him, when their eyes connected Max saw the smile on his face, the happiness in his eyes.

“I’m ok babe and I love it,” Josh said as he ran a hand over Max’s neck, “But now you’ll need one to match.”

Max rose up and kissed the mark again before settling his head on Josh’s chest.

“You can tonight.” Max said quietly, thinking that it had been too long since he had been on bottom.

                                                            *         *         *

“Frank I was wondering if you would be alright with inviting my buddy Paul over to spend Christmas Eve here.” Franks dad asked Monday morning as the two of them ate.

Sam wasn’t usually a breakfast person but since he had become friends with Paul he had gotten back to eating right and taking care of himself. His new attitude had Frank smiling. His dad had been in such a bad place for so many years that it was nice to see him happy and smiling again.

“Sure pops. I take it he’s spending Christmas day with his family?” Frank asked as he scooped up what was left of his eggs.

“No I don’t think so. The only family he’s got is his grandparents and they live out in Arizona, they don’t much like the winters here so He’s on his own for holidays when the weather turns cold.” Sam answered as he finished making his protein shake.

The new information brought a slight smile to his face, it was no wonder that his dad got on so well with this Paul guy; they were pretty similar. He and dad didn’t have any family close by either. His dads’ parents lived in Florida; he hadn’t seen his Aunt and Uncle since Dex died, last he had heard they were in Europe.

As for his mothers’ family, well he didn’t know much about them, he hadn’t heard from any of them since she died when he was a baby.

“You could invite him over for Christmas too if you wanted, I’m sure you could find something for him to unwrap under the tree.” Frank said with a shrug. It wasn’t really a big deal to him. It had almost always just been him and his dad so holidays weren’t really anything special or formal.

Aside from the fact Christmas used to be one of the few days that they actually got to see each other it was just another day for the two of them.

“You sure about that Son, I know despite your tone that you’ve always looked forward to Christmas, it was one of the few days we got to spend time with each other.” Sam said knowingly.

Frank refused to blush, but his neck and face didn’t listen to him, he cleared his throat awkwardly and got up to put his plate in the sink.

“Yea, well, maybe you’re right. Christmas Eve will be good. You still need to get him a gift though. He is you’re best friend.” Frank said as he ran water over his plate, washing the egg off of it.

“Thanks Son, I appreciate it.” Sam replied as he squeezed Franks shoulder.

Before Frank could make any more of a reply he heard a car pull into the drive way followed by a loud car horn, Kylie was there.

“I’ve got to get going dad, I’ll see you tonight.” Frank said, giving his dad a quick hug before heading out the door.

Sam smiled as he watched his son get into his girlfriends car. He hadn’t always been able to give his Son everything he wanted, or really even every thing that he needed but he always did the best he could.

He was hopeful that he could change that though, it might be a bit late to make up for things but as always he would do his best.

                                                            *         *         *

As Christmas break drew nearer everyone started to look forward to the holiday more and more. Josh’s aunts’ their daughters and husbands were all coming up to spend Christmas together. Josh was nervous over that, wondering if it would be a good idea to tell them he was gay. All of his cousins were older than him so he didn’t have to worry about them being confused or anything.

Max knew that he had talked the idea over with his parents, and his grandparents; but no decision had been made yet. Max told him that he would support him no matter what his choice was; after all there wasn’t any reason to hurry.

As the holidays, and winter break, drew closer they didn’t see much of Frank or Kylie though.

After something of an argument with his dad on the subject Frank managed to find a part time job at one of the diner’s in town to earn some last minute cash.

He, Josh and Max had all done odd jobs over the summer but they got the feeling that Frank wanted to get Kylie something special, it was the first big event in their short relationship.

Kylie in turn spent a lot of time at the diner. She claimed it was to keep Frank company, to let him see a friendly face.
One day though when Fay accompanied her down to the diner for a bite and passed on to them Kylie’s reaction to seeing Frank bussing tables, his face red and sweaty from the heat of the kitchen, his white t-shirt giving a glimpse of his muscles where it clung to his sweaty body and the apron tied around his waist, they stopped believing her.

Max though thought his holiday was going to be the best. His grandparents were due to arrive on the twenty second, the day after his winter break started.

He couldn’t wait to see his grandparents again, even though neither he nor they had managed to get in contact with his aunt, uncle or Mark. He was determined not to let that get him though…much.

It wasn’t until the Tuesday before their break that Max’s happy little bubble burst.

He and Josh had been out shopping around for gifts for their folks before Max’s shift started with the PCH.

The two of them walked into Max’s, bundled against the cold air and knocking the recently fallen snow out of their hair, to find Debbie sitting on the sofa; crying.

Without even pulling off their coats or scarves they moved to sit with her.

“Mom what’s wrong, what’s happened?” Max asked gently, he was really worried about her; Debbie only cried when it was something major, in an either good or bad way.

“Oh honey…I’m so sorry…It’s Ellen and Chuck…Oh Max they died last night…they were in a car accident.” Max listened, growing numb as she recounted the details she knew.

“Mom…Mom,” It was the hoarseness of his voice that got her attention, “Mom what about Mark, was he involved, is he ok; what’s going to happen to him now?”

Debbie put a hand on her sons’ knee and spoke with what she hoped was a reassuring smile.

“He’s ok honey. He wasn’t with them. They were coming back from Chuck’s office Christmas party when it happened, Mark was at home.
As to what happens to him know…I wish I knew. I guess it comes down to the arrangements they made for him.”

A small shard of happiness, of hope, diverted some of the panic and fear that flooded through him. Mark was ok, he was safe.

“I know it’s a lot to take in but I need you to go upstairs and get packed. I’ve already made our flight arrangements; we’ll be meeting your Grandparents at Louisville airport tomorrow to fly to Chicago. I know it would be easier to just drive for you and me but dad doesn’t want to drive all the way there and mom is terrified of flying so she needs us there.” Debbie said as calmly as she could, the fact that she would be attending her sisters’ funeral in two days time…it was hard for her.

Max though felt like a bucket of ice had been poured into his stomach at the knowledge that he had to go back to Chicago and tuned out the rest of what she had said. Debbie seemed not to notice though as she stood up and went to her room to start packing.

He felt Josh take his hands but couldn’t seem to muster the will to make any response. He let himself be pulled off the couch and led up to his room.

* * *

Josh watched Max’s face as he mother spoke, the vacancy that came over his eyes as he shut down to try and process the information.

He had to go back to place that held his most brutal memories.

Waiting until Debbie left he took hold of Max’s hands, worry shot through him when Max followed him unresistingly.

Once they were shut safely in Max’s room Josh removed their coats and scarves, Max still in a seeming catatonic state. Josh stood there for a moment worried, wondering if he should call for Debbie.

Just as he was making up his mind to get help Max was suddenly on him. Max’s arms were around his waist and his face was pressed against his chest. Josh wrapped his arms around him in return and held him tight as he felt the tremble that ran through Max’s body.

“I have to go back…”The words were quiet and muffled but Josh heard them none the less.

“Yea babe you have to go back. If not for your Aunt and Uncle then for your mom and Mark; they need you. Especially Mark. He’s lost his parents. He’s gonna need his surrogate big brother.” Josh spoke quietly as he stroked Max’s back.

He felt Max smile against his chest though, which made him feel better. When Max pulled away he was smiling, even though his eyes were watery.

“I’m only a couple of moths older than Mark…I don’t even know if he’ll want to see me. It’s been so long.” Max replied as he stepped away from Josh to look out of the window.

Josh came up behind him and put his arms around his waist again, pulling him back against his chest.

“I’m sure he’ll want to see you. From what you’ve told me you guys were really close when you were younger. Feelings like that don’t go away. Not even after a long time. Look at you and your grandfather.”

Max smiled a little at his words, true the situation with Mark wasn’t the same but Josh did have a point. Mark and him had been more like brothers than cousins growing up. He sometimes wondered if the volatile relationship he had with his own brother could have been linked to how close he and Mark were.

Taking a deep breath Max turned and wrapped his arms around Josh.

“You’re right babe; I got to be strong for my family. Beside it’s not like I’m going back to that crappy neighborhood. Hell by now I doubt that those three even live in the same houses.” Max tried to be confident, he knew that Josh was probably worried about him having to go back, his family weren’t the only ones that needed him to be strong.

“I’m really sorry about your Aunt and Uncle. Sorry for you and your family.” Josh whispered solemnly.

Max nodded but as he thought about it he realized he didn’t have very strong feelings about his Aunt and Uncle being gone. He felt mostly for the rest of his family, his mother, grandparents and especially Mark. He was sad for what their loss would do to his loved ones but didn’t feel any real sense of loss himself….he wondered if that made him a bad person.

Josh, as though he could sense Max’s troubling thoughts, leaned down and kissed his forehead.

“Stop thinking about it, just deal with each new situation as it arises,” He said as pulled away and lead Max to his closet, “I’ll help you get packed.”

Later that night as he and Max lay in bed together, (Max had talked his mother into letting him stay the night given they would probably be gone until after Christmas) Josh allowed himself to feel the panic and worry he had been suppressing ever since he heard that Max would be going back to Chicago.

Part of him knew that Max had to go, there was no other choice, but a much larger part wanted to tie Max to the bed so he couldn’t even move, let alone board a plane.

Wrapping his arms protectively around Max’s bare chest he held him tight, wishing that he could keep him right there. He knew going back was going to play on Max’s emotions, not just for the funerals or seeing his cousin again. Despite what Max told him he knew he wasn’t completely over what had happened to him, he knew that the event was going to be on the fore front Max’s mind for the entire trip.

He wished that he could just make Max forget about it, just long enough to make an already unbearable trip a little more bearable.

                                                          *         *         *

Max stared out the window of the car his mother had rented as they drove to his Aunt and Uncles' house. As he watched the other cars and the buildings go by he thought back to that morning in his room before they left.

Josh had been fixing his scarf when Max noticed that his hands were shaking, and not only his hands. He’d grabbed Josh’s wrists and brought his hands up to his lips.

“You’re scared.” Max said quietly, before kissing his knuckles.

Josh nodded mutely before answering.

“More so then I’ve ever been. I really don’t want you to go back. And yea I know I’m the one who telling you that you needed to be strong for your family…but that don’t mean I have to be.”

Max smiled slightly as he pulled Josh close to him.

“You don’t have to be strong for anyone, but you know what is giving me the strength to do this without panicking…much?” Max asked but Josh shook his head.

“You are. Knowing that you have confidence in me to go through this; knowing that no matter how bad things go up there that you’re here waiting for me. Waiting to make it all go away with a touch, a kiss. With just being here.”

Max smiled at the memory of the blush his words had caused Josh. Max made a mental note to never tell Josh how beautiful he thought he was when he blushed…it would make him self conscious.

“The house is on Wickherst Debbie, third house on the left.” His grandfathers’ voice pulled him out of his thoughts.

He had been so caught up in his memories of making Josh blush that he hadn’t noticed that they had entered a large gated community.

As he looked around he couldn’t help but think that this was the exact kind of place his Aunt and Uncle would live. The houses were large, not a single one under two stories, red brick, perfectly manicured lawns, two car garages; expensive cars in the drive ways.

Everything he saw around him spoke of money, and lots of it. Uncle Chuck always did well for himself. Max was never sure what the man did for a living but he always had money, as Aunt Ellen was very willing to flash to absolutely everyone that she could.

Part of him felt bad for those thoughts, thinking of how high on themselves his aunt and uncle had been, how willing aunt Ellen was show off the money that she had married into. The other part of him though whispered that he was just being honest with his feelings.

Besides, he didn’t need to voice his opinions to anyone else.

He focused on his surroundings again as they pulled into the driveway of a large two story brick house, nearly identical to the ones around it.

Max stumbled out of the van they had rented at the airport and went around to the back to get the luggage.

“Let me help you my boy.” Maxwell said as he came up to his grandson’s side and took his and his wife’s luggage.

“I…I don’t know what I’m going to do when I get in there Grandpa. I haven’t seen Mark in so long, haven’t spoken to him even. Now his parents are gone…how…how do I help him through it?” Max asked quietly as he collected his and his mothers bags.

Maxwell wrapped an arm around his shoulders and pulled him close to his side.

“I don’t know Max, not for sure. All any of us can do is go in there and be understanding, compassionate, and sympathetic. After all he wasn’t the only one who lost Ellen and Chuck.” Maxwell answered and Max smiled.

“You got all that from Grandma didn’t you?” Max asked and the older man chuckled.

“It’s what she told me when I asked her damn near the same question last night.” His grandfather answered.

Once the men were loaded down with the luggage the foursome made their way up to the front door. Debbie knocked for a few moments to no answer before checking the door to find it unlocked. Cautiously the four of them stepped inside. They had called Mark the night before to let him know that they were coming; there had been no answer so Debbie had left a message. They had hoped that he had gotten the message but it didn’t appear that he had.

“Mark, its Debbie, Max and your grandparents…are you home honey?” Debbie called out as the four of them set their luggage down in the spacious entry way.

Beyond where they stood now Max could see what looked like a large kitchen. To the left was a staircase that wound upstairs and on the right was two doors, Max assumed one led to a living room while the other, closer to the kitchen, led to a dinning room. It seemed appropriate in his mind.

The soft sound of a door opening above him pulled Max out of his silent inspection, He moved over to the stairway and looks up, trying to see the landing.

“Max honey what are you doing?” Debbie asked, neither her nor her parents had heard the door like Max.

Before Max could answer them a soft scratchy voice sounded from upstairs.

“Aunt Deb, is that you?”

“Yes Mark it’s me, come down here where we can see you.” Debbie called nervously up the stairs.

Slowly Mark came into view as he descended the stairs. He looked just like Max remembered him thin, bright red hair, milky skin. He was shorter than himself but that was nothing new, Mark was always short and skinny, he took after his father’s side of the family.

As Mark stepped off the stairs Max watched his bright blue eyes widen as he took in the four of them. As he did so Max took in his cousin’s appearance in detail. Mark’s shirt was wrinkled and stained, as were the clothe shorts he wore. His bright red hair was disheveled and a little greasy; his face drawn and tear streaked.

Before any of them could make a move toward him Mark stepped forward and all but collapsed in Max’s arms.

Max wrapped him tight in his arms and pulled him close. Max was surprised, not because of Mark’s condition but because he so readily clung to him.

“I missed you so much…it’s been so long since I saw you…I tried to get in touch but…” Mark cried against his cousin’s chest.

Max sent a beseeching look to his mother and grandparents. Not asking for himself but for Mark, he was sure the young man needed more than he could provide.

Quickly the three of them each stepped forward, wrapping an arm around the trembling young man, whispering words of comfort and soothing.

“Max why don’t you two go upstairs, you can help Mark get cleaned up for dinner while the three of us get settled in.” Deborah spoke quietly to her son.

“’Course mom, no worries.” Max said before steering his still trembling cousin up the stairs.

“Bathroom’s down to the left Max.” Mark’s voice was hoarse.

Max steered his cousin down to the bathroom and sat him down on the commode before opening the glass door of the shower and turning the water on.

“You get in there and I’ll get you some clothes. Where is your room?” Max asked as he turned back to his cousin, dismissing the suddenly scared look in his face.

“Its…it’s just down the hall on the right.” Max nodded in understanding before leaving him there to get undressed and in the shower.

Max went down to his cousins’ room and was surprised when he pushed open the door. Marks room, while large, was Spartan at best. The majority of the wall space was bare, only a single framed picture hung there, a family portrait with him, his mother, Grandparents his aunt, uncle and Mark.
The only furniture in the room was a small full sized bed and a small desk against one wall. Confused Max wandered over to the closet to retrieve clothes.

As he pushed open the closet Max’s confusion deepened. The shelves were stocked with what Max easily recognized as department store clothes, Wal-mart, K-mart and the like. Not that it was any kind of issue for him, Max shopped there as well; but Aunt Ellen always made sure that she and Mark were dressed in the most expensive clothes that she could find and had more than once knocked his mother for shopping at what she called the “cheap stores”.

Max collected a pair of sweats, a tee-shirt and underwear for Mark and went back to the bathroom.

“Mark I got clothes for you, you out?” Max asked as he tapped on the door.

“Yea…Yea you can come in.” Mark called quietly.

Max pushed open the door to find his cousin sitting in the steam filled room on the commode, a towel wrapped around his slender hips.

“Here you are cousin.” Max said as he set the clothes down on the sink.

“Max…can…can we spend some time together before we go down stairs…just me and you?” Mark asked without looking up at his cousin.

“Of course we can Mark. Let me go down and let mom and grands what’s going on and I’ll meet you in your room ok?’ max asked and headed out at Mark’s nod.

Max went down stairs and found the rest of his family in a large and expensively decorated living room and told them what was going on. He noted that all three of them looked sad, but not surprised by Mark’s request.

“Of course dear, you boys come down when ever you like.” Caroline told her grandson before sending him back upstairs.

Max found Mark sitting on his bed, looking depressed. He sat down next to him and immediately Mark leaned against his cousin and Max wrapped his arms around him and pulled him close.

“I’m sorry Mark. I…I don’t know what to say. I can’t even begin to think about what you’re going through.” Max said quietly.

“Is…is it wrong that I don’t feel anything about them being gone Max. I’m not sad, I’m not upset…I’m just…I just don’t feel anything.” Mark whispered fearfully and Max stroked a hand down his back.

“No Mark it isn’t wrong…It’s normal I think to feel what you’re feeling. It just happened a few days ago…you haven’t had time to process it all. Not really.” Max answered and Mark nodded.

“I’m…I’m tired. Will you lay down with me like when we were kids?” Mark’s voice was so quiet Max barely heard him.

“Of course I will Mark…I missed you a lot you know.” Max said as the two of them lay down.

“I missed you too Max…I tried to call you or send letters but mom and dad always stopped me. I know you tried to contact me too but…they never let me answer you.” Mark’s voice was quiet but Max could feel him shaking ever so slightly.

“It’s ok Mark. Just rest now. I get the feeling that you haven’t gotten a lot of sleep lately…even before the passed away right?” Max asked and Mark nodded his agreement.

                                                          *         *         *

Debbie hung up the phone as she turned back to her parents. She had just finished talking to the funeral home where her sister and brother in law’s services were being held.

“The services are this Friday, they start at nine o’clock.” Debbie said thickly, unshed tears in her eyes.

“That seems awfully soon. Can they get everything ready in such a short time, it’s only two days.” Caroline asked from her place on the plush sofa with her husband.

“It turns out that Ellen and Chuck had their arrangements made for quite some time. They’re also being cremated which cuts down on the arrangements needed. We also have to meet with Chuck and Ellen’s lawyers that afternoon to discuss their wills.” Deborah couldn’t imagine what it was that they needed to discuss with all of them. Surely they hadn’t left anything for the family in their will…not after being out of contact for so long.

“Do you think Mark will be able to cope with it being so soon? He looked pretty bad when he came down those stairs.” Maxwell spoke up; he was worried about his youngest grandson.

“I think that he will be able to handle it fairly well now that Max is here. He always could handle everything better when Max was around.” Debbie answered as she wiped her eyes.

“Yes…but do you think Max will be able to handle that. It is a lot to put on his shoulders, asking him to shoulder his own grief as well as Marks.” Caroline asked but Debbie shook her head sadly.

“Mom…to be honest I don’t think Max bears a lot of grief for Chuck and Ellen,” Debbie waved aside her parents objections before going on, “Don’t pretend that it is offensive or anything either. To be honest I can’t blame him if he doesn’t feel anything.
I think…I know that he feels bad that their gone…if not for himself than for how their passing has affected us.” Debbie explained quietly.

She could see the wheels turning in her parent’s minds, thinking over what she had said. She knew that Max was affected by his aunt and uncle dieing but not the extent that the rest of them were.
Max had always been a cut and dry kind of person when it came to his relationships, you were either in his good books or you weren’t, there was no gray area. Debbie knew that in Max’s mind the second the two of them walked out that Christmas so long ago he had seen as them walking out of his life, and after awhile Max had accepted that; and he had separated his emotions accordingly.

“I…I can understand how Max feels. I would be lying if I said that I…that I hadn’t felt the same way over the years,” Maxwell said but quickly amended himself at his wife’s scorching look, “But I’ve realized recently that I can’t pretend to feel that way. Ellen is…was one of my girls. No matter how she has acted or shut us out these last few years.”

Caroline moved closer to her husband and Deborah sat down nest to him and the two women wrapped their arms around him and he them. As silent tears fell down theirs faces the three of them again grieved.

* * *

Mark wasn’t aware of falling asleep until he woke up in Max’s warm embrace. It had been so long since had felt any genuine comfort…and even longer since he had been able to see or talk to his cousin, Max had always been something of a big brother to him. It hurt him a lot when his parents refused to let him talk to him…and after they found out about him…he didn’t want to think about what his family would say when they found out.

He carefully pulled himself out of Max’s hug and sat up, looking around his “room”. Mark let out a short snort of derision at the word, it was more of a cell than a room, but the feeling was quickly squashed by the numbness he was feeling.

Max would understand; if anyone would it would be Max. And he didn’t need to worry about the news changing the way he thought of his Aunt and Uncle, he was sure Max didn’t have a very high opinion of his dead parents.

His parents, as he sat their listening to Max’s deep, even breathing he explored his feeling concerning them. They were dead and gone, he would never see them again, never hear their voices, never have another meal with them.

Those thoughts were disturbing but they didn’t hurt like he thought they should. He didn’t feel any all consuming, crushing grief…he was scared…he didn’t know what was going to happen to him now after all. Maybe he was selfish but that uncertainty weighed on him slightly more than his parents deaths.

As he thought about it the more he figured Max was probably right, that it hadn’t had time to sink in yet. He didn’t know how he felt about that, part of his didn’t want to feel as bad as he thought he should…but still the other part told him that he should feel bad that they were gone, no matter what the last few years had been like…no matter what they had done, they were his parents after all.

Max shuffling around on the bed and sitting up pulled him out of his reflections.

“Mhm, good nap, did you get any rest little cuz?” Max asked as he sat up.

Mark cracked a small smile at the sight of his hulking cousin (well hulking to him at least) with a sleepy look still plastered on his face. It was the first true smile that had graced his features in quite some time.

“Yea I slept a little bit, thanks for being a human pillow.” Mark said quietly, feeling a little embarrassed.

“I’m glad, and don’t blush…I’m used it. Josh frequently uses me as a pillow.” Mark watched his cousins eyes light up at the mention of Josh.

“Is…is he you’re boyfriend?” Mark asked hesitantly.

Max shook his head at the term ‘boyfriend’ he didn’t like the feeling of the term when applied to him and Josh.

“I like the term partner better but yea Josh is my boyfriend. I think you’d like him. He sweet, shy, quiet; and really hot.” Max smiled as he spoke.

Mark smiled at his cousin’s obvious happiness concerning Josh. It was nice; he knew that Max’s life had been difficult before they left Chicago for Indiana.

“Come on little cousin. Let’s go get some food; you look like you could use a good meal. And I’m sure mom and grandma and grandpa will want to talk to you.” Max said as he stood up and stretched, he missed Mark’s panicked look.

* * *

Max watched his cousin closely for the rest evening, between his wanderings around the house, taking in the expensive furniture, décor, and clothing, (his aunt and uncles of course). He was happy to see the impact his mother and grandparents were having on Mark.

They steadfastly avoided discussion of the accident and impending funeral and likewise avoided talking about the intervening years between now and when Max came out. They stuck instead to the past; bringing back happy memories of childhood, summer vacation’s spent at his grandparents and nearly forgotten family holidays.

Mark smiled and laughed and even cried along with the rest of them, Max was certain that Mark’s happiness was genuine, not false or forced but Max was unable to give his focus to the conversation fully.

A lot of things didn’t add up, the posh décor of the house ended in Mark’s room, even the bathrooms were more prettied up than his room. He had taken a few moments to snoop through his Aunt and Uncles closets and found expensive, and often tailored, clothing that cost a fortune compared to the off the rack that fill Marks closet.

Something was very wrong the picture Max had found himself in, and he was determined to find out what it was.

After dinner though Max had to put his plans to find out more on hold when his mother broached the topic of the funeral.

“I spoke to the funeral home earlier…your parents services are on Friday morning, I know it is a bit soon and if you don’t think that you can handle it I’m sure everyone will understand.” Debbie spoke quickly and quietly.

Mark though didn’t really display any deep emotion, something which worried his older relatives a bit.

“No…no I think I’ll be ok. In all honesty I don’t think we’ll be at the Funeral home long…Mom…Mom and dad haven’t been too popular the last few years.” Marks voice was low and careful, as though he expected to be questioned or reprimanded.

Neither of those things happened though. Like Max they seemed to sense that something was off with the entire situation and they were more than willing to wait until things settled done to figure it out.

After they finished talking Mark insisted that his Aunt and Grandparents rest while he and Max cleaned up. At first the three of them tried to refuse but once Max intervened they moved to the living room.

“So what is so important that you wanted to get rid of the higher ups before we could talk?” Max asked as he started to run water in the sink instead of stocking the dishwasher.

“Am I that transparent?” Mark asked as he piled plates in the sink.

“I’m just that good little cousin.” Max replied with a small smile, Mark really was that transparent but Max didn’t want to point it out.

The two of them worked in silence for a few more minutes before Mark spoke up.

“I know you Max, even though it’s a few years since we’ve seen each other I still know you. You’ve got eyes, and a brain and both are pretty sharp. I also know that you’ve been snooping around, discreetly of course, but you’ve still been poking around the house.

You’ve seen the difference in my room and the rest of the house, seen the change in my clothes compared to what I used to wear. Hell I’m sure you’ve probably even been through mom and dad’s closets.” Mark’s voice was even but Max could tell he was holding something in.

“You’re right on all counts cousin. You feel like telling me what has been going on?” Max asked carefully.

“I…I do but I don’t know how to go about it. I know you above anyone else will understand but…god this is messed up.” Mark answered as he rinsed dishes for his cousin.

“You start at the beginning…and you don’t have to do it now either. We’ve got time.” Max answered, pulling the stopper on the sink, watching the water swirl down the drain.

“That’s just it Max…I don’t know if I’ve got the time or not…Mom and Dad never talked about what would happen to me if they died…I don’t know what’s going to happen to me now…where I’m going to end up.” Mark tried to keep his voice steady but it cracked toward the end of his sentence.

Max dried his hands before pulling the smaller Calvin man into his arms. Mark allowed himself to be hugged close with out complaint, he needed the warmth and comfort his bigger cousin provided.

“I promise no matter what the papers or lawyers or anyone or anything else says I’m not going to let you be taken away from us…not now that we just got you back.” Max whispered quietly as he ran a comforting hand up and down his back.

Once Mark got himself under control, and thanked Max he spoke up.

“Stay with me in my room tonight…I’ll explain as best I can.” Max nodded and the two of them headed to the living room to join the rest of the family.

                                                            *         *         *

It was late when Max and Mark finally managed to make it up upstairs; they had stayed up late talking so Mark could catch up more with his aunt and grandparents.

“Alright Mark so what has been going on here?” Max asked as he changed into a sleeveless shirt and shorts to sleep in.

“It’s a long story Max, are you sure you’re up for it after you flight?” Mark asked nervously as he watched his cousin out of the corner of his eye. Mark had always been a bit jealous of Max’s body; he was always so much bigger and stronger than himself.

“Mark we were in the air for an hour, if that. I’ve got plenty of energy to talk. If you still want to that is, like I said there’s no pressure on you.” Max replied as he pulled back the blanket on the bed and lay down.

Mark finished changing into his own night clothes before sitting down next to Max on the bed.

Mark worried his bottom lip between his teeth for a few moments before he answered and Max wondered what it was that was worrying his cousin.

He watched as Mark raised his hands and rubbed his palms over his face before resting in his hands.

“God I don’t know why I’m having such a hard time with this…if anyone you’d be the person to understand all this…I just…I haven’t told anyone any of this and it’s just hard.” Mark said as he let his hands fall into his lap.

Max reached out and took hold of his cousin’s hand, rubbing his thumb across the back of his palm.

“Mark you can tell me anything, it doesn’t matter what it is. I’m here for you.” Max’s voice was quiet but firm, he didn’t like how scared his once exuberant cousin had become.

“It was just after my birthday…You coming out at Christmas kind of gave me some courage…I knew how mom and dad were likely to react but I figured you know…that they might act differently since I was their son…so…so I told them I was gay too.” At Mark confession Max sat up straight so quickly it made his head spin.

Before Mark could say anything else Max had pulled him tight against his chest, he squeezed so hard Mark had a hard time breathing.

Marks confession was the piece of the puzzle that he had been missing. Everything made sense now. Of course Aunt Ellen and Uncle Chuck would react this way…Max could almost see how it played out. His Aunt and Uncle would have lost it, it wasn’t just because Max was gay that they didn’t let Mark talk to him, they kept him isolated because of what they were doing to Mark.

They didn’t see it as punishment, Max was sure of that, it was more of incentive. Take away everything that Mark had until he decided to be what his parents wanted, cheap clothes, bare room; no material possessions. Yea it all made sense.

“You figured it all out from that one little bit of information didn’t you?” Mark asked with a small smile.

“I think so yea.” Max said before launching into his theory.

By the time he was done Mark was nodding his head in agreement.

“You’ve got the gist of the situation. At first that wanted to try therapy, until everyone they talked to told them that I wasn’t sick in the head. That pissed off dad. After that is when the bribery started.
When they realized that buying me a new sexuality wouldn’t work they did this,” Mark waved his hand around the room to emphasize the point, “I came home from school one day and all my stuff was gone, my posters, my pictures, my clothes, my queen size bed was replaced with this one, my closet was cleaned out and my clothes replaced.”

Max was silent as his cousin talked; he couldn’t believe what his Aunt and Uncle had done.

“God mark I’m sorry, I wish I had known…wish any of us had known.” Max said as he lifted a hand and put it on his cousins’ shoulder.

“You know it’s not the material possessions that bothers me, it just things, items. I could even cope with the pictures…no what really got me was mom and dad…they basically stopped talking to me.

Dad pretended that I didn’t exist, if I was in the room with him his eyes would just pass over me like I was a piece of furniture. Mom…I don’t know…at times she followed dad’s line, pretended I didn’t exist…the next she would smile at me…and I know she’s the one who left me that photo on the wall…but she never really talked to me…a few words here and there but that was it.” Mark’s voice was quiet as he motioned to the wall where the old family photo hung.

Max’s eyes locked on the photo for a moment before he turned back to his cousin.

“I’m sorry for all of this Mark…I don’t know what else to say…” Max really was at a loss for words.

Mark shrugged and lay down on the bed next to Max and stared up at the ceiling.

“I guess there isn’t anything to say Max…it’s done…its over. I guess…I guess I just have to move forward from here. I’m just so damn scared…I don’t know what is going to happen anymore.” Mark spoke past the lump in his throat, holding back tears.

Max lay down next to his cousin and pulled him close again. Mark laid his head against Max’s chest and cried quietly.

“I don’t know what happens from here either Mark…But I promise it’ll be better than what’s been going on…It has to be.” Max’s spoke confidently, as though he had some inside knowledge on what the next few days would bring.

Mark knew that Max couldn’t really be sure of what he was saying but just hearing the words…feeling the sureness in Max’s voice was enough to make him believe them…if only for the night.

Without further words the two of them quietly fell asleep. After being apart for so long the young cousins were happy to be back together, the circumstances couldn’t have been worse but…at least they had each other to help them through it.

To be continued……

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************   

Hey yall. Just thought I would mention that with Rush out of touch for awhile I’ll be doing all my own editing so any tech errors are all on me. As always, I love to get your thoughts and opinions so feel free to email me at allenarcane88@yahoo.com, drop me a PM, write me a review or visit the discussion forum.

I read and respond to everything.

http://tinyurl.com/ygmmkep (Discussion Forum link)

Copyright © 2014 NightOwl88; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 04/30/2011 11:02 AM, PKacrotjs said:
well done you! thank you for sharing with us :)
Hello PKacrotis, good to meet you. I am glad that you like and you are most welcome. I look forward to hearing from you again. Best,Nightowl
Link to comment

Awesome update! I feel so bad for Mark; no kid deserves to be treated that way by his "parents". Now that they're gone, I wonder where he'll live. No doubt, they would have never left Mark with Max and his mom. :(

 

I'm also curious about Frank's dad's new friend. Maybe b/c I'm reading all these stories, but I'm feeling that the friend is a little closer than a "friend". lol

 

Anyway, great chapter, as usual! Can't wait for more!

 

 

Oh, I noticed on error: dieing isn't a word. It's dying. Your writing is really good; I think that's the only spelling error I saw. I do notice though, in all your stories, you capitalize letters that don't need it. Such as Grandmother, Grandfather, I think there were a few random words you capitalized the first letter. I always think of nouns, person, places or things. A person's name of course, the first letter is capitalized, and places of course like America. If it's Grandmother Rose, then yes, the "G" would be capitalized, otherwise it wouldn't.

 

Anyway, enough of my long forgotten high school English lesson! Great chapter and keep up the awesome work Night! :)

Link to comment

Awww poor Mark on many fronts. Glad he has Max and his aunt plus grandparents to lean on now. I'm interested in frank's dad's friend too. Is there more there than meets the eye? ,hehe. Anyway nice chapter

Link to comment
On 08/31/2012 09:07 AM, Jammi said:
Awww poor Mark on many fronts. Glad he has Max and his aunt plus grandparents to lean on now. I'm interested in frank's dad's friend too. Is there more there than meets the eye? ,hehe. Anyway nice chapter
Hey Fleeting, it's good to hear from you.

 

I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to your review. I don't know whats going on but I'm not getting updates.

Mark has been the proverbial kicked puppy for awhile now. But every dog has it's day as it were. Max's family may be a bit idealized but I like it this way.

 

Paul (the friend of Franks dad) is an interesting character, you just haven't seen much of him yet.

 

I'm glad you've enjoyed the chapter and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

 

best.

Owl

Link to comment

Hello Night,

This story is so good that I am only doing interim reviews lol sorry.

First off love the pace of each chapter you bring such depth and reality to each character it is hard to stop reading.

Poor Mark on all fronts, for being isolated from his relations and what his parents did... I am sorry to speak ill of the dead but as a parent that is unforgiveable

I hope that Mark is able to go be with his Grandparents I think he needs that but I also feel that he needs Max too. I can foresee the Grandparents moving closer to Debbie and Max maybe!!!

There are a few grammatical and spelling errors but no biggies as has already been pointed out

So I will just say again great chapter and story and onwards to the next one :)

Link to comment

I wonder which is worse abuse physical or mentally by family or invisibility. Obviously they judged their son by their standards and figured possessions and money were more important than love and being faithful to yourself. I wouldn't be surprised that they left mark penniless and gave all their money to the grandfather since he would agree with the way they treated their son. But we will see.

Link to comment
On 07/16/2013 10:29 PM, Sonya said:
Hello Night,

This story is so good that I am only doing interim reviews lol sorry.

First off love the pace of each chapter you bring such depth and reality to each character it is hard to stop reading.

Poor Mark on all fronts, for being isolated from his relations and what his parents did... I am sorry to speak ill of the dead but as a parent that is unforgiveable

I hope that Mark is able to go be with his Grandparents I think he needs that but I also feel that he needs Max too. I can foresee the Grandparents moving closer to Debbie and Max maybe!!!

There are a few grammatical and spelling errors but no biggies as has already been pointed out

So I will just say again great chapter and story and onwards to the next one :)

Hello Sonya, it's great to see you again.

 

Don't worry about just doing a few reviews, I love any and all feed back from folks.

 

I'm glad that you enjoy the pace of the chapters, I try to give a lot of attention to that area. I want them to feel natural you know? I've said it before but I am happy to say again, I strive to make my characters real and I am so happy that it is showing through.

 

Mark has had a bad time of it. When I first started writing his situation I worried that it seemed like too much but I am glad, looking back, that I didn't skimp. He needs alot of things right now but I promise he will get them from who he needs it from.

 

I'm glad to hear that you'll be sticking around and I look forward to hearing from you again.

 

best,

Owl

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..