Jump to content
    NightOwl88
  • Author
  • 11,589 Words
  • 5,051 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Max and Josh - 24. Auld Lang Syne

Disclaimer: This story includes sexual and romantic situations between consenting individuals. Any allusion to illicit or illegal activity, sexual or otherwise, is used only for enhancement of the story line and not promotion thereof. Remember AIDS, HIV and other STDs are a very real threat, please always practice safe sex.

I can prove copyright on this story so please don't copy or remove this story for personal use without my permission.

*********************************************************************************************************

Max and Josh 24: Auld Lang Syne

Mark sat in the sparsely decorated guest room of his aunt’s house, his room technically.

The guest room was never used much so it held only a small dresser and a full sized bed.

Mark had decided that the bed would be perfect after having slept comfortably on it the night before. The dresser would have to be replaced after the first of the year when the rest of his stuff arrived but it would do for what he had brought with him.

“You need help putting anything away?” Max’s voice snapped him out his thoughts.

Mark shifted in the window seat to look at his cousin. They had only been there for about a day but the window seat had become a favorite place of his.

The bench was big enough to allow him to stretch his legs out and lean against the wall and it had a great view of the back yard.

“Eh, I don’t think so, I don’t really have much to put away.” Mark gestured to the small box and duffle bag by the bed.

The duffel bag still held his clothes while the box held his old laptop and note books along with a few others of his favorite things, including the picture of him and Max when they were kids.

“Then let’s go shopping. You can get some new bedding and some decorations, this place is too bare.” Max said as he sat down on the bed.

Mark smiled at his bigger cousin and shook his head. He knew that Max was trying to help him feel more at home and likely to help him get his mind off Thursday evening.

The five of them had worked their butts off for two days to get everything they needed sorted, packed and shipped.

His aunt and grandparents had taken care of the things they had inherited, most of his possessions and the stuff that he had decided to bring with him from the house while him and Max worked on getting the stuff together for Ms. Anders.

His aunt hadn’t been big on the idea of him doing it but Mark found a kind of release in boxing up the possessions for Ms. Anders. As if getting rid of the stuff helped him heal some of the wounds his dad had left behind.

The two of them had managed to get it all boxed up by Thursday afternoon and had called Ms. Anders to come and get it.

Despite seeming to be in an all fire hurry to get it she took her sweet ass time in arriving to pick everything up, so late in fact that they had almost been late for their flight that evening.

Her arrival to pick everything up had gone pretty smoothly, until she went through the paperwork concerning his dad’s bank accounts.

‘I don’t see the paper work concerning Charles life insurance.’ She had said rudely.

‘That’s because according the paper work, and a call to the insurance company, Mark is listed as his beneficiary. Not you. So you might be entitled to his bank accounts, his listed possessions and his car but the life insurance will be going to my nephew.’ His aunt had stated calmly, if not a little cockily.

Ms. Anders showed every sign of arguing with the point but his grandmother had stepped in.

‘I suggest that you don’t make a big deal over this darling, the only thing it will serve to do is cause a fight which you are ill prepared for.’ She said with a self assured smiled.

‘Very well, now about the house,’ Ms. Anders started but Maxwell interceded.

‘What happens to this house is no concern of yours Ms. I’d like it if you took your possessions and left.’ His grandfathers’ words though fell on deaf ears and Ms. Anders plowed forward.

‘I’d like to make you an offer, I can’t quite offer you market value but I daresay any kind of value is better than nothing. After all, with your parents gone and you moving in with your aunt the house will be of no use to you.’ She had directed her statement directly toward Mark ignoring the rest of the family.

For a moment Mark had stood there frozen, unable to believe the woman’s audacity.

Max had stepped up to talk to her but Mark had put a hand on his shoulder and pulled him back.

‘The house won’t be up for sale until after my aunt goes to court, if then. I, however, would see this placed burned to the ground before I allowed a slut like you to live here. Now take your crap and get out of my house.’ He had told her, the venom in his voice had surprised even him.

Ms. Anders looked for a moment as if she wanted to slap him, in fact she took a few steps toward him but she was quickly blocked by Max. His cousin had a few inches on her and more than a few pounds.

‘You wouldn’t dare a lay hand on me young man.’ She said with a sneer.

‘Now, my grandson might not put a hand on you you hateful woman but I’m here to tell you I will snatch that obviously bleach blonde hair straight off your head if you make the slightest attempt to hurt my babies.’ Grandma Caroline had told her as she stepped in front of the two of them.

Grandma Caroline was a diminutive woman but the whole of the family knew she wouldn’t hesitate to get physical with the younger woman in defense of her grandchildren.

Ms. Anders, who seemed to be thinking along the same lines, loaded her stuff in her car and left.

Mark couldn’t lie and say that she hadn’t upset him, thinking she could EVER live in his house. Mark had been dead serious in what he had said; he’d rather burn the house to ashes before she lived in it.

Realizing that he hadn’t answered him Mark pulled himself out of his thoughts and focused on Max.

“I don’t think so, not right now at least. I feel like being lazy today, relaxing a little bit. Why don’t you go see Josh for a little while? I know how eager you are to get back to him.” Mark replied with a smile.

Max brightened up for a second before turning serious again.

“Are you sure, I don’t want you to feel ditched or anything…” Max asked worriedly.

“I’m not going to feel ditched Max. You have a life here, friends and a boy friend. I’m not going to feel ditched just because you want to hang out with them.” Mark had to resist the urge to roll his eyes, Max was always so over protective.

“Yea but you live here now too, and I want you to hang out with me and my friends.” Max said earnestly.

Mark got up and moved to sit next to Max on the bed. He put a hand on his cousin’s leg and addressed him as seriously as he could.

“I’d like that too Max but I just got here, I kinda need time to adjust though cousin. You go and see Josh, I’m going to stay here and contemplate my new reality. If it makes you feel any better though I’ll be on your computer and do some pricing so we can go shopping later.” Mark told him as seriously as he could.

Max looked like he was struggling to figure out what to do but after a few moments he smiled and wrapped an arm around his cousin’s shoulders.

“If you’re absolutely sure you’ll be ok here on your own. Mom should be back before too long. I’m not entirely sure where she went but she shouldn’t be gone much longer.” Max had figured that they would spend the day unwrapping the gifts they had gotten before they left and just catching up so it was a real surprise when his mom had breezed off early that morning.

“I’ll be fine Max, I’m going to unpack my box there and go through my old notebooks. I’ll also get on your PC and get some ideas about some stuff I want to get. If you wanted to bring Josh over later I wouldn’t mind meeting him either.” Mark replied, happy that he had managed to get his cousin to relax a little.

“I’ll be back in a couple of hours and if Josh isn’t busy I’ll bring him over for a little while.” Max said as he hugged his cousin tightly before getting up to leave.

 

Once Max was out of the house Mark lay back on his bed and snuggled into his pillows. They weren’t the most comfortable but they would do until he went to the store.

Despite how the last few weeks had gone Mark felt happy and at ease. He liked the idea of hanging with Max and his friends but he hoped that over time he’d be able to make his own friends…and maybe find someone to be more than a friend.

                                                           *          *          *

Max was in two minds about leaving his cousin alone at the house. He really didn’t want to do it but at the same time he really wanted to see Josh.

He knew enough about psychology to know that he shouldn’t hover around his cousin, but to also be supportive when he needed it. Max also realized that Mark needed time to adjust and get used to his new surroundings and situation; he just hoped that he wasn’t making a mistake by leaving him alone.

He pushed aside the thought as he pulled into Josh’s drive way, which was fuller than it usually was.

Max swallowed some nerves as he got out and walked up to the door. He had called Josh before he came over and found out that some of his family was still there so that meant that Max was going to get to meet them.

The door was opened by a short, and very attractive girl, she looked a lot like Josh actually.

“OHHHH you must be Max.” She all but squealed as she grabbed his arm and pulled him inside the house.

“Hi…um yea I’m Max. Who are you?” Max was pretty sure he was being rude but he was a bit too shocked to care.

“JOSH GET YOUR BUTT DOWN HERE!!!” She bellowed up the nearby staircase, completely ignoring his question, before she pulled him into the living room, “Josh has told us all about you. It’s sooo good to meet you. I thought we’d leave before we got the chance.” She babbled happily as she pulled him down to sit with her on the sofa.

“It’s nice to meet you too, even though I’m not entirely sure who you are.” Max tried to polite but wasn’t sure if he pulled it off.

“You’ll have to over look my baby girl Max,” Max looked up as a tall, well built man walked into the living room from the kitchen, “Evie doesn’t always know when to stop. I’m Nathan by the way; Josh’s uncle and this is my daughter Evelyn.” Nathan spoke with a smile that belayed his rough neck appearance.

“Only Grandma still calls me Evelyn though, or my folks when I get into trouble. Everyone else just calls me Evie.” Evie said as she extended her hand to Max.

Max smiled and shook Evie’s hand, something about Evie’s eyes helped put him at ease, probably because they were so much like Josh’s.

Nathan pulled Evie over to the love seat where he sat and settled her on his lap.

“Daddy you’re embarrassing me.” She smiled and blushed a little as she spoke but made no attempt to move.

“So be embarrassed. I’m sure that Josh will want to sit with his boy when he gets HIS SKINNY BUTT DOWN HERE!!!” Nathan called the last part loud enough to be heard upstairs.

Not even a minute later Max turned to look at the staircase as Josh pounded down it. As soon as the long, lanky form of his lover came into view Max smiled, standing up he walked to Josh and wrapped his arms around him and pulled him close.

“Gods I missed you.” Max whispered happily.

Josh gripped him tightly and stroked a hand up and down his back

“I missed you too. I’m so glad you’re back,” Josh said as he pulled away to meet Max’s eyes, “How are you, and you’re family? Are you ok, is Mark doing alright?” Josh asked him in quick succession.

“Why don’t you boys sit down before you start interrogating him Josh, or if you want you can go upstairs and talk; I’m sure I can occupy Evie for a while longer.” Nathan smiled at the pair of them, then up to his daughter as she frowned at him.

“But daddy, I want to talk to Max.” Evie pouted and Max had to swallow the urge to laugh.

“Again you’ll have to excuse Evie, she’s not usually this bratty.” Nathan replied as he stared sternly up at his daughter.

Max smiled and shook his head.

“No it’s ok. I don’t mind sitting down here and talking for awhile.” Max grabbed Josh’s hand and pulled him over to the couch as he spoke.

Once the two of them were settled Max recounted how his visit to Chicago had gone and how his family was coping with everything.

“I’m so sorry to hear about your aunt and uncle. It must be so hard for your cousin. Do you think it was really a good idea to leave him there all alone?” Evie asked as she relaxed down against her father.

“I think so, yea. I mean I don’t want to make him feel crowded or anything.” Max replied, not entirely sure he HAD done the right thing.

“Speaking from experience; sometimes you’ve got to let the grieving have some space. It’s easier sometimes to wrap your mind around what’s happened if there’s no one around.” Nathan interjected solemnly, his eyes looking at something far away.

Evie snuggled down into her father’s neck and after a few moments Nathan’s eyes refocused on the present and he smiled at them.

“Sorry ‘bout that,” His voice too sheepish for a man of his stature and appearance, “Evie why don’t me and you go start working on something for lunch. Your mother and Emma will be back soon, and Joshua should be back from dropping everyone at the airport too.” Nathan smiled as he nudged his daughter.

“Ok Daddy, you two can go upstairs now.” Evie told the two of them as she slid from her fathers lap and pulled him up to his feet.

Max and Josh watched as she led the older man into the kitchen, his hand grasped tightly in hers.

Max looked to Josh, a question on his face, and Josh motioned with his head upstairs. Together the two of them went up to Josh’s room and Max took a few moments to admire the space as they hadn’t spent too much time in Josh’s room, it seemed that the two of them had always hung out at his house.

Josh’s room was smaller than his, which was to be expected since Max’s was actually two rooms but it reflected Josh perfectly, simple and understated. He had a few pictures of his family and a few scattered shelves hanging on the walls, some holding books and others small knick knacks and other things that Josh had collected over the years.

A small computer desk sat across from Josh’s bed, Max remembered that it had once held an old desktop computer now held a closed laptop. Max smiled when he saw the small black and gold stone horse sitting between the lap top and the desk lamp.

Josh wrapped his arms around him from behind and nuzzled his neck as he spoke.

“Two of my favorite gifts ever. I got the laptop from my folks and you should know where the horse came from.” Josh whispered against his skin.

Max should remember, he was the one who had given it to him. It had been a gift for Josh’s last birthday. The horse was carved out of tiger’s eye; both the stone and the horse represented friendship and the horse had the added symbolism of trustworthiness, dependability and mutual respect.

“I’m glad you like it.” Max replied as he turned in Josh’s hold and looked up at him.

“I love it.” Josh replied before he leaned down and kissed him.

Max sighed into the kiss and leaned into Josh’s body. The kiss stayed sweet, soft and exploratory. They broke apart after a few moments but stayed holding and nuzzling against each other.

“I’ve really, really missed you.” Josh breathed out.

“I’ve missed you too.” Max replied as he slid his hands under the back of Josh’s shirt, caressing the warm skin on his lower back.

Josh hissed in pleasure and leaned back into the touch. Soon shirts, and in Max’s case boots, were cast aside and Josh was pushing Max down onto his bed.

Max ran his hands up Josh’s chest and over his sides as Josh hovered above him, weight braced on his hands and knees as he straddled Max’s legs.

“You really want to do this with your uncle and cousin downstairs, and with more of your family on the way home?” Max asked playfully as he scrapped blunt nails down Josh’s back.

Josh let out a low growl before staring down at him, eyes bright and pupils wide.

“Yes, I do, but I won’t. I just want your skin on mine, your hands and lips.” Josh replied before nuzzling down into his neck, inhaling deeply and kissing his throat.

Max gripped his hips and pulled him down so that their bare torso’s rubbed together.

“I think we can do that.” Max whispered before rolling so that he was above Josh.

“Please.” Josh asked as he ran a hand over Max’s chest.

Max started at the bottom and worked his way up, kissing and licking around his belly button and sides. He felt Josh’s hands tangle in his hair as he moved up, trailing his nose over his torso, taking in the scent of his skin and leaving random licks and kisses.

“Please babe…need you…” Josh rasped as he gripped Max under his arms and pulled him up so they were face to face.

Max brought their lips back together, groaning as Josh pushed his tongue into his mouth. Max submitted to the invasion without hesitation, enjoying the rare moment of dominance from his partner.

He whimpered when Josh pulled away and nipped at his bottom lip before grabbing him by his bicep and pulling him down flat against him.

Max struggled for a moment, not wanting to crush Josh with his weight but Josh rolled them on to their sides and wrapped his arms tight around him as he nuzzled into his chest.

Smiling at the role reversal Max let one hand drift up and down the smooth expanse of his back while the other hand cupped the back of his head, the sharp stubble of his lovers’ hair scratching his palm.

“I’m proud of you for coming out to your family baby boy, very proud. I’m glad that they took it so well. I wish I could have met more of them but your cousin and uncle are nice.” Max smiled as he spoke.

Max felt Josh smile against his chest followed by a kiss.

“I’m proud of me too. I probably couldn’t have done it without that phone call from you.” Josh’s reply was mumbled against him, making Max shiver a little.

“I’m glad that I could help, but you didn’t really need me. You’ve got all the courage you need babe, but I’m glad that I help bring it out.” Max replied happily.

Josh playfully flicked a nipple with his tongue before moving up to meet his eyes.

“You bring out a lot of things in me Max,” Josh said quietly, his eyes bright, “I don’t think I’ve ever told you this before but I’m grateful for all the stuff that you’ve done for me in the past, all the help that you’ve given me.” Little tears dripped down his cheeks and Max wiped them away with his thumb before drawing Josh down into a gentle kiss.

“Josh…you’ve been my best friend for a long time. I’m glad that I’ve been able to be here for you and I want to be here for the rest of my life if you ever need me. I love you Josh.” Max, felt his eyes sting with tears as he spoke.

“I love you too Max…and I want to be with you for the rest of my life too.” Josh’s voice was barely more than a whisper and Max pulled him back down into his arms.

They lay quietly in each others arms, just touching and holding till the distant shutting of a car door and rumble of voices announced that Josh’s family was back.

“I guess we should probably get back downstairs.” Josh replied as he lifted his head from Max’s chest.

Max ran a hand over his stubbed hair and smiled at him.

“Yea I think that’s probably a good idea.” Max replied before pressing a gentle kiss to his forehead.

They untangled from each other and pulled their shirts back on and Max pulled his boots back on and together they headed downstairs.

Sitting with Josh’s family brought the familiar pang of upset to Max’s chest, he loved his mother but it always seemed as if there was something missing from his family and when he was with Josh’s family that feeling always came and reminded him what it was.

A father.

He had no love left for his dad but it didn’t stop him from wishing that growing up things had been different, that his dad had loved them and that he had grown up with his father in his life.

Max often wondered if the hurt and longing he felt whenever he saw Josh and his father interact would ever go away. It was easy to see the affection between father and son when the two talked and interacted, and between father and daughter with Evie and Nathan.

“Max… Max are you ok?” Mr. Mathew’s voice brought Max out of his reverie.

“Oh, yea; sorry Mr. Mathews, I zoned out for a second. What were you saying?” Max managed to get out, feeling embarrassed for his lapse.

“I was wondering if you had your grandparent’s address. My dad was asking about it over the holidays. I told him I’d ask you about it if I got the chance. He’d call and get it himself but he lost the phone number your grandfather gave him.” Josh’s dad asked him with a bemused sort of smile.

“Yes sir, I do. I’d be happy to write it down before I left.” Max replied, distractedly; he felt as though he was being watched and moved his eyes to catch Nathan looking at him knowingly.

He watched as Nathan nodded his head toward the kitchen.

“I’m gonna go check on the pizzas me and Evie put in.” Nathan said as he got up.

“Is there anything I can do to help?” Max asked, catching on to what Nathan wanted.

“Sure, you can come make some lemonade while I pull lunch out of the oven.” Nathan replied with a nod.

Together the two of them moved into the kitchen and Nathan directed Max to a glass fronted cabinet holding pitchers and put a canister of sugar free lemonade mix on the counter for him.

“So what were you thinking over that had you so distracted a few minutes ago?” Nathan asked him as he pulled a pizza out of the oven.

“What makes you think I was thinking of anything?” Max asked as he looked over the instructions on the canister.

“You had the look. I’ve seen it a lot; had it a lot. It’s that look that a person gets when they’re thinking about something that they wish they weren’t.” Nathan replied coolly as he pulled the second pizza out of the oven.

Max looked at the older man, he couldn’t have been too far into his forties but the expression on his face seemed much older, much more weathered.

“I was thinking about my dad. We don’t have a relationship and seeing Josh and his dad with each other it makes me feel…I dunno how it makes me feel exactly but it isn’t something that I like to feel.” Max replied quietly as he mixed up the lemonade.

“You want to talk about it?” The sincerity of the question both touched and confused Max and he turned to find Nathan looking at him closely.

“Why would you want to know?” Max asked in confusion.

Nathan shrugged and turned to looking through the drawers for something.

“You’re a good kid, my nephew loves you and to be honest with you I kinda like you a bit myself.”

Max stared in awe at the older man, he was pretty much a complete stranger and he was offering to hear his problems with his dad.

“Long story short is that we don’t get along, we never have. I haven’t even heard from him since I told him and my brother I was gay.” Max did his best to keep his voice level as he spoke.

Nathan, having found a pizza cutter, set to slicing up lunch as he spoke.

“I can understand how you feel. Sounds a lot like me and my dad when I was younger. I lit out when I was fifteen years old and bounced around from place to place till I was old enough to join the Army. When I was old enough to join I signed up and never looked back.” Nathan fell silent as he cut up the pizzas.

“What ever happened between the two of you?” Max asked, hoping he wasn’t over stepping his bounds.

“Nothing…he died during my first deployment.” Nathan replied quietly.

Max wanted to offer some words of comfort but wasn’t sure what to say.

“It’s alright though. After my deployment was up I went home and found out that he had left a letter for me. After I read it I went to his grave and said my piece.” Nathan said as he finished cutting the pizza.

Silently they carried the pizzas, lemonade, plates and glasses into the dinning room. Once the table was set Nathan turned to Max. “A piece of advice for you if you want,” Nathan offered and Max nodded, “Whatever the bad feelings between you and your old man; settle them before one of yall’s time is up. There may be no love lost between the two of you but there’s plenty of other stuff.

Take it from someone who knows from experience, letting hate and anger and resentment fester…it’s not good for your mind, body or soul.” Nathan placed a hand on Max’s shoulder as he spoke.

Max looked into the older man’s rugged face and deep eyes before nodded in acknowledgement, swallowing hard as he did so.

“Good, now we can eat.” Nathan smiled as he moved past Max and went to call for the rest of the family.

Josh shot him a concerned look as they all sat down but Max smiled and winked at him and visibly relaxed.

“Come upstairs, I got something for you.” Josh said once their lunch was finished.

Max gave him his best seductive look but Josh just smiled and shook his head.

“Not that, get your mind out of the gutter.”

Max followed him without hesitation, wondering exactly what Josh was going to give him.

Once they were back in his room Josh moved over to his closet and pulled a flat, brightly wrapped package from inside and handed to Max.

“I thought we agreed on no presents since I had to leave.” Max ducked his head, embarrassed.

“We did…but this was last minute…And you can always make it up to me later.” Josh replied with a sly grin.

Max felt somewhat better and turned his attention to the gift. He opened it carefully and smiled as a framed photo of Josh was revealed.

Josh was sitting shirtless against a tall tree, sunlight highlighting his slim, perfectly sculpted torso and smooth under arms as his hands rested between his head and the tree bark. His long legs were partially covered by a pair of red and white board shorts; their long expanse was stretched in front of him.

His bright blue eyes stood out surprisingly well and he wore a slightly embarrassed smile.

“It was taken over the summer while we were down in Texas visiting Aunt Erica and Evie while Uncle Nathan was still overseas. We had been swimming and they snuck up on me while I was relaxing, caught me by surprise.” Josh said sheepishly.

Max smiled, he would never understand why someone as beautiful as his partner would ever be self-conscious of his body, even around his own family.

“I love it, I’m gonna go home and put it on my nightstand, that way I’ll always fall asleep looking at you.” Max promised before he leaned in for a kiss.

Josh smiled and leaned down into Max’s kiss. Somewhere along the line the picture found its way to Josh’s desk and the two of them found their way to Josh’s bed.

Their sweet kiss soon turned heated and both quickly found their shirts removed and reveled in the rough glide of warm skin and firm muscle.

“God for once I wish my family wasn’t around.” Josh breathed out as Max rose up, breaking their kiss.

Max smiled down at his lover, his firm, tight muscled torso was displayed perfectly; his dusky nipples were firm from excitement and beckoned Max closer.

Leaning down Max took one between his lips, licking and playing with it, making Josh moan shamelessly in the process, before moving to the other and repeating his treatment.

“What would you do if they weren’t here?” Max asked quietly as he moved up and nuzzled into Josh’s neck.

Josh bit his lip, stifling a moan in the process, before he spoke.

“I...I’d flip you over, rip your jeans and underwear off and wrap my lips around your cock.” Josh spoke huskily and without a hint of embarrassment, which impressed Max.

Max groaned and pulled away to look down at him.

“So long as we were both quiet we could make that happen. Between the two of us I’ve been wanting to try rimming you again.” Max’s voice was low conspiratorial.

Josh looked for a moment as if he was going to rip both of their clothes off but with visible effort he restrained himself and shook his head.

“You have no idea how much I want to do that, but I can’t do it knowing my family is downstairs.” Josh said apologetically.

Max smiled and after a small kiss Max lay down next to him and snuggled into his neck.

“It’s alright babe. We’ve got plenty of time.”

Josh smiled and held Max tighter; he liked the idea of having Max in his life for a long time, forever really.

                                                           *          *          *

Mark looked up at the clock as it ticked closer to midnight. He was both nervous and excited about the coming New Year. He would start school in a few days with Max and his friends.

He was in two minds about it, part of him was looking forward to getting on with his life but he was also worried about being in the new environment. Mark knew that he would have Max’s support and his friend’s but in the same token Mark wanted to be able to stand on his own.

“Look lively cousin, we still got about four hours left.” Max smiled as he fell onto the sofa next to him.

Mark smiled and turned his position to toss his legs over his cousin’s lap.

“I can last as long as you, tree-huger.” Mark replied after making himself comfortable.

Max promptly tossed his cousin’s feet off his lap and reached for the deck of cards on the table.

“Get to shuffling cuz.” Max said as he tossed the deck of cards into his lap.

Mark smiled and set to following his cousin’s orders.

“It was nice of Josh, Frank and Kylie to come over today before celebrating with their families.” Mark said as he dealt the cards between him and Max.

Earlier in the day Max’s friends came over to celebrate the impending New Year with each other. Each one of them had plans with their families for that evening but it was a nice way to get to meet all of them. Mark had a sneaking suspicion it had been Max’s plan all along, to introduce him to some friendly faces before school started.

Mark had to admit that he was grateful for it. At least there would be people around that he was familiar with besides Max.

“Yea, they couldn’t wait to meet you. Don’t go getting any ideas though; I saw how you were eyeing my partner.” Max replied in a semi-threatening tone.

With horror Mark realized he was blushing around his ears as he re-arranged his hand. Josh was exactly like his cousin had described him, tall, lean, and unbelievably handsome. He hadn’t been able to stop himself from…appreciating…all of his many assets.

“I wasn’t eyeing him, I was just…looking at him…I can admit that he’s hot…but…” Mark’s voice trailed off and he blushed harder.

“But…what?” Max asked curiously as he moved the cards in his hands around.

“But…,” Mark cleared his throat before going on, “I like guys who are a bit thicker, muscle wise.” Mark felt the blush hit his cheeks and tried to distract himself with his cards.

“Ahh, so my little cousin likes beefcakes, interesting, there are a few guys on the weightlifting team whose sexuality might be a little questionable.” Max wiggled his eyebrows as he spoke.

Mark laughed at his cousin’s antics but didn’t deny that he liked the thought; he looked back at his cards, pretending to focus on the game.

“What the hell are we even playing?” Mark asked, staring in confusion at his cards.

“Dude…I hoped you’d know. I’ve been trying to figure out if I need to try for the full house or ask you if you have any two’s.”

The two cousins dropped their cards and all but fell on each other laughing. Cards forgotten the two of them leaned back into the couch, shoulders touching as they rode out their hysterics.

Max wrapped an arm around his cousin’s shoulders and Mark leaned into his side, making himself comfortable against his bulkier relative.

“The New Year is going to be here shortly cuz and I promise that it’s gonna be a good year for all of us.” Max said quietly.

Mark smiled and wrapped an arm around Max’s torso, pulling him tight to his side in a one armed hug. Part of him was still sad about his parent’s passing away but every day he spent with Max and his aunt was slowly healing that wound in his chest.

“It’ll be a good year so long as I’ve got you, Aunt D, and grandma and grandpa.” Mark replied happily as he made himself comfortable against Max’s side.

“I’m glad to have you back in our lives Mark, I hate how it happened but I’m glad you’re here with us.” Max replied carefully, he didn’t want to upset Mark by bringing up his parents.

“I’m glad that I’m here too, Max.” Mark replied with a smile.

They sat together for a little while longer before pulling apart to continue their game, this time making sure they both knew what they were playing.

After a half dozen hands of Rummy, one or two matches of War and even some Old Maid, at the end the two of them became bored with the cards and packed them and turned their attention to trying to find something else to occupy their time till midnight.

Their search for entertainment was interrupted by the phone. Max smiled when he heard Josh’s voice on the other end of the line.

“He Babe, what are you doing?”

“Me and Mark are trying to find some entertainment. We’re bored and it’s still two hours till midnight.” Max replied as he checked the nearby clock.

“You two should come over. Me, dad, my uncle and gramps are getting ready to butcher Auld Lang Syne. It’s my first year getting to sing with them, you could come cheer me on.” Josh’s voice was easy and playful.

“You sure your folks and grandparents wouldn’t mind, New Years is a family thing you know?” Max asked carefully

“You ARE my family Max, just as much as they are. I want you here with me and they won’t care.” Josh calling him family choked Max up and it took a moment or two for him to answer.

“I’ll talk it over with Mark and let you know.” Max replied, suddenly unsure how to address Josh’s comment on him being family.

“Good, you do that. Try and get in touch with your mom too, let her know where you two are gonna be, and tell her come over if she gets off early enough.” Josh all but ordered, causing Max to shake his head lightly. It was funny to think that Josh used to be timid and quiet.

“I love you babe. I’ll talk to you later.” Josh echoed Max’s words and Max hung and went to talk to Mark

                                                            *          *          *

Tom worked feverishly as the clock clicked closer to midnight. New Years was never much of an event for him. His parents would always end up at a party while he spent the night alone.

This would be the only year that he wasn’t depressed by his forced solitude. The minutes went by unheeded as he worked, the only sound he heard was the scratch of pencil on paper.

Tom had spent a lot of time sequestered in his room with his sketch pad working. Inspiration had taken hold of him since Christmas, his mother’s note calling him angel and Mr. Watcher’s suggestion to change his subject material had somehow merged in his mind.

He had never thought of trying to sketch religious or mythical themed pictures but now his sketch book was full of images of angels, and in some cases demons.

Which one he sketched depended on how he was feeling. Feeling itself was a relatively new experience. Tom had spent so much of his life forcing his emotions down, making himself numb to try and keep the anger and self-loathing at bay.

Now though, thanks to Mr. Watcher’s help Tom was starting to dig his feelings back up. It was a scary experience for him, feeling so many more things than anger, letting himself feel. When it got to be too much for him he turned to his sketch pad.

Many of his sketches still involved him in consensual, and submissive sexual encounters with his former bullying victims but they were more of a way to deal with his sexual impulses and feelings.

Since Christmas though, his subjects had begun to take a turn, Tom still drew images of naked or semi-naked men; but now they corresponded to his feelings, in the forms of angels and demons.

When he was happy, (which was fast becoming a rarity) he would create angels, sometimes they would be modeled after the guys he had bullied and sometimes they would be something he had created from scratch. There were also times where he would draw Cherub like figures, though not the short, chubby ones, these were more like adolescent boys.

Unlike his other sketches the Cherubs only anatomical details were in the faces and he was unwilling to admit to himself that many of them resembled him when he was younger. He wasn’t sure why he drew them; just that sometimes when he put pencil to paper they were the only thing that would come out.

Where his angels were good looking, happy and smiling; his demons were the exact opposite. He drew more of them than he did angels because more often than not he was experiencing more negative emotions than positive ones.

Guilt, anger, and self loathing were the most popular of his emotions. When he couldn’t take them anymore he gave them form as demons in his sketches. He didn’t know exactly how it helped him, drawing the mean, ugly creatures but he knew that after he drew them he was calmer and more able to think and work through the issues, a least as much as he could.

Dave had told him in his last session that the only real way to escape the negative emotions was to confront the things that caused them. He knew where the issues came from but he wasn’t able to face what he needed to do in order to fix the problems.

He felt guilty because of all the things he’d done to the guys he had picked on because he wasn’t able to face his own sexuality. He DESPERATLY wanted to apologize to the guys he had hurt but he was too afraid to do it, afraid that the only way he would be able to explain what he had done was to tell them he was gay…which wasn’t an option.

He felt angry for pretty much the same reason he felt guilty. He was also angry at himself, at being too afraid to take the chance and do what he knew was right, to apologize and try and make amends for all the shit he had done.

The self loathing stemmed from the guilt and the anger….as well as some lingering internalized homophobia. There were times when he hated himself for how he felt, disgusted because he wanted to kiss and caress the guys he was mocking and beating up.

Tonight though he had no room for angst, anger or depression, tonight something had gripped him and he worked feverishly on a new sketch. Tom wanted to make every line of the angel he worked on perfect.

He had decided to take everything that he found to be attractive in a guy and focus it into the sketch. He didn’t know why it suddenly seemed so important but he was driven to create the picture.

He had finished the basic outline for the body and the wings and had started in on the details of the muscles and the shading patterns in the wings. For some reason that he couldn’t identify though he couldn’t draw a face into the picture.

The kind of facial features that he liked were easy to define but each time he put the pencil to the task he was unable to figure out what exactly he wanted to draw.

“I guess it’s not important, at least not yet. I can always go back to it after I finish with the body.” Tom thought distractedly as he drew and shaded the pectoral and abdominal muscles.

Midnight came and went, the sound of fireworks, car horns and shouts from the street outside were lost on him as he worked. It wasn’t until his hand began to cramp that he put his pencil down.

Propping the sketch pad up he leaned back in his chair and observed his work. The sketch was as perfect as he could make it. A lean, lithe male form, the muscles were well defined without being bulky. The chest and abdominals were smooth and flat, the arms and legs were thin and tight without seeming weak. The only anatomical detail he had left out other than head and face, were his genitalia. In its place he had drawn an Egyptian style kilt to cover the area.

The wings he had drawn were a slight bit longer than the body; he had drawn them to sort of resemble dove wings but also to where they seemed to be cupping or shielding the body. He had left the majority of them white but had shaded in around the edges and drawn small horizontal bands near the tips of the wings.

“I just need a face.” He thought as he ran his fingertips over the sketch, careful not to smudge the lines.

Once again he tried to visualize a face to the image but nothing that came to his mind seemed to work for the figure.

“No law saying I have to finish you tonight.” He said to himself as he closed the book and carefully stowed it in a small compartment of his desk.

Stripping down to just his boxers Tom clicked off the light before laying down in bed. He was unwilling to spoil one of his rare moments of peace but as he lay in the dark and quiet he couldn’t help the disturbing thoughts that reached him.

Tom hid his sketch book and supplies away because he was afraid that his father would find them. The supplies he didn’t much care about, those could be replaced. The pad though…it’s loss would really hurt him.

The sketch pad was quickly becoming filled with images, it helped him nearly as much as talking to Mr. Watcher did. Sometimes he didn’t even need to sketch, all he had to do was go back over the scenes he had already done in order for him to understand how he felt. If it were burnt like the blank pad had been…Tom didn’t know what he would do.

Tom fell asleep with his eyes locked on the compartment that hid his sketches.

                                                           *          *          *

“HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!” The sentiment rang out from all of them as the clock struck midnight.

Frank whooped happily and laughed as he spun his noise maker around, adding to the din that was created by his dad and his friend Paul.

Kylie was standing nearby doing a little celebratory dance, her pointed party hat askew. Frank couldn’t help but stare as he watched her slim hips and thighs as she twisted her torso around in small circles.

A slight rap to the back of his head brought him around so that he was staring at his dad, who had his eyebrows raised in a reproving glare. Frank had the decency to be embarrassed at getting caught ogling his girlfriend in front of his father.

“You know it’s tradition to give a kiss to someone when the clock strikes twelve.” His dad’s friend Paul piped up. He was standing at the kitchen counter making a bit of a show of pouring root beer into his glass.

Frank once again blushed as Kylie sidling up to him, a mischievous smile on her face.

“Well?” She asked with a smile.

Frank rounded on his dad, who had just raised a bottle of beer to his lips.

“You heard the man.” His dad replied with a shrug and a smile.

Turning back to Kylie he didn’t even have a chance to reply before she was pressing her lips against him. For a moment he stood frozen before responding. Fully aware that his dad and Paul were standing close by he kept it G-rated and short, not much more than a chaste movement of lips before pulling apart.

Twin wolf whistles pierced the air as they pulled away and Frank turned to find his dad and Paul standing shoulder to shoulder with matching grins on their faces.

“You know since me and Kylie shared one it’s only right that you two do too. Don’t you think babe?” Frank asked as he wrapped an arm around his taller girlfriend.

Kylie gave out her mischievous grin again before commenting.

“I think that is a great idea.” Kylie said sweetly.

Both Sam and Paul blushed a bit and looked away from each other.

“Come one son, we were just funning you.” Sam mumbled quietly, blushing hard around his ears.

Frank opened his mouth to have pity on the pair, since Paul was going as red as his dad, but before he could Paul piped up.

“Come one Sam, fair is fair; we had our fun now it’s their turn. A quick peck ain’t gonna kill us.” Paul admitted grudgingly as he turned to Sam.

Frank watched as his dad stared in disbelief at his friend for a moment before shaking his head.

“I swear if this comes back to bite me in ass ima skin both of you.” He said as he glared at him and Kylie.

Both Frank and Kylie stifled laughs as the two middle aged men leaned in, and after closing their eyes, pressed a quick, extremely closed mouth kiss to each other. The contact lasted maybe 5 seconds before the pair jumped away from each other like a lightening bolt had struck between them.

Both Frank and Kylie burst out laughing at the looks on the two men’s faces. Only after a several minutes had passed was Frank able to catch his breath and playfully applaud the two men.

“Yuck it up sonny boy, pay-backs a bitch.” Frank was sure his dad was trying to be menacing but his blood red ears and neck ruined the effect.

Soon enough the incident was forgotten and the four of them went back to their little party.

Frank had been leery when his dad mentioned to him that he should invite Kylie over when Frank mentioned that her dad was going to have to go out of town. Frank still felt a bit self conscious about letting Kylie see where he lived. He had spent numerous evenings at her place, which was large enough to house his little house.

After more than a little cajoling from his dad though he had agreed and invited her. Kylie had been ecstatic about the invitation and started rambling off all the stuff she could make or bring if needed and it had taken all Frank had to convince that she didn’t need to bring an entire buffet with her.

As the clock rounded two AM Kylie decided that it was time for her to go home. Being the gentlemen that he was Frank bundled up and walked her out to her car.

“Thanks for inviting me over…it was nice to spend some time with you and your dad.” Kylie smiled as she pressed the unlock button on her car remote.

“I’m glad you had fun. You know how much I like spending time with you.” Frank blushed through his cheeks a bit as he spoke.

Kylie smiled and leaned into the touch as Frank reached up and tucked a lock of her hair back behind her ear.

Earlier reservations gone Frank moved his hand to the back of her neck and applied a little bit of pressure, pulling her down to his level. Once upon a time the height difference between them had been a source of annoyance for him but now he didn’t really care.

Kylie bent down willingly till their lips pressed tight together. Neither of them were much for deep kisses but a little slip of tongue back and forth was enough for the two of them.

“Now that was a proper New Years kiss.” Kylie whispered playfully as they pulled apart.

“I couldn’t really do more with my dad and Paul standing right behind me.” Frank replied as he bumped his forehead playfully against hers.

Kylie just laughed and opened the door of her car, after one last kiss she slid into the driver’s seat.

“Talk to you tomorrow?” She asked and smiled when Frank nodded.

“Be careful driving home, they’re out brining the roads again.” Frank said as a large city truck rumbled passed.

Kylie smiled in returned, fired up the engine and backed out of the short drive way.

Frank stayed where he was, watching her ‘til she turned off his street and drove out of sight before he walked back into the house.

His dad and Paul were cleaning up from the party and trying to decide what to do with the left over junk food. Since meeting Paul his dad had become a strict healthy eater but for their party the work out buddies had broke the moratorium on junk food, both had complained multiple times about how they would have to workout extra hard to burn off the calories from the Pizza rolls, chips, pizza, and the barbeque bathed cocktail weenies.

“You can’t leave it here; my will power is tenuous at best.” His dad said as he shook his head.

“At least you have Frank here to help you eat it; it’s just me back at my place.” Paul replied as he crossed his arms over his chest.

The argument went back and forth as Frank cleared away paper plates and plastic cups from the counter. He was kind of amazed at all the stuff just the four of them used. He had never considered himself an environmentally apt person but looking over how much the four of them had used he couldn’t help but wonder how much more trash larger parties would have put out.

’I wonder what the hours for the recycling center are.’ Frank wondered silently.

Finished with his work Frank turned to find the two men still grumbling back and fourth about what to do with the abundance of left over junk food.

“Jeez, how long have you two been married,” Frank asked to break them up, “Just leave the stuff here, I’ll have the guys over tomorrow or the next day and we’ll pig out before we go back to school. Between me, Max, Josh, Tucker, Curtis and Mark we can knock it out without giving ourselves heart attacks…unlike you two geezers.” Frank was treated to twin glares from both men.

“I’m just saying, you two bicker like an old married couple.” Frank said with a shrug as he walked to his room, ignoring the pair of them.

“You know Sam, I like that boy of yours, and he’s got just the right amount of attitude.” He heard Paul remark to his dad has he started easing his door shut.

“Yea…sad fact of the matter is he knows it too.” Frank could hear the laugh in his dad’s voice as he pushed the door closed.

“Happy New Year,” He said to the ceiling after he had changed into a tank top and sleep shorts and had lain down, “May you be a damn sight better than the one before.” Frank smiled as he rolled over, thinking of how good the New Year was already turning out to be.

                                                            *          *          *

“…And here’s a hand, my trusty friend, and gie’s a hand o’thine; we’ll take a cup o’kindness yet for auld lang syne. Should auld acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind? Should auld acquaintance be forgot and day of auld lang syne? For Auld Lang syne my dear, for auld lang syne, we’ll take a cup o’kindness yet for auld lang syne.” The final poorly pitched lines were drowned out in an enthusiastic applause from their audience.

Max and Mark had shown up just a little past eleven and Josh couldn’t be happier about it. He and the rest of the gang had hung out at Max’s for a few hours, mostly to get to know Mark better, but Josh hadn’t wanted to leave his partner, even though New Years had always been a family celebration.

When his grandfather of all people asked him what Max was doing and suggested that Josh invite him and Mark over when he explained that they were spending the day on their own he was more than a little surprised, and happy as hell to do it.

“Take a bow!” Mark called as the four of clapped.

Given that the four of them had their arms around each other’s shoulders it was a bit difficult to do but smiling they managed to bow and stand back up without falling on their faces.

“You four get over here, it’s nearly midnight.” His grandmother motioned to the men with a smile.

Josh grinned and gave his dad, Nathan and grandpa a quick peck on the cheek, causing his dad and uncle to laugh a bit and his grandpa to blush. After a quick one armed hug he pulled away and went over to the women in his life. He gave each of them a kiss on the cheek as well before settling himself on the love seat next to Max.

“Now that I got everyone out of the way it’s your turn, but you’ll have to wait for the clock to strike midnight.” He murmured as he lay back against Max’s shoulder.

Max smiled at him and moved his arm so that his hand rested on his chest.

“You sure about that, I mean, I don’t want to offend anyone.” Max asked him, quietly enough so that only he could hear him.

Josh smiled and moved up to press a kiss to Max’s jaw before settling back down.

“I’m positive babe; you don’t have to worry about anything.”

Josh glanced over to Mark, who was sitting in one of the arm chairs, nursing a glass of Coke.

“I’ll give you a kiss too Mark, so you don’t feel left out.” Josh gave him a wide smile and a wink, making Mark blush.

“Thanks, but I’ll pass. I don’t want to risk getting mauled by Max. He’s very possessive. He threatened me earlier; he thought I was eyeing you this afternoon.” Mark said with mock worry.

Josh elbowed Max carefully in the side as he looked up at him.

“What did you do that for? Mark is cute but you know I love you.” Josh glared up at Max, trying to look serious.

Max, deciding to play along, rubbed his side when Josh had elbowed him; pretending it hurt.

“I didn’t threaten him,” Max emphasized the word, “I just told him that it would be better for him to look…but not think about touching.” Max tried to be menacing but failed miserably.

The three of them fell apart laughing, barely aware that they were being watched by the rest of the family.

Josh had just finished making himself comfortable, tossing his legs over the arm of the love seat and settling in so that his head rested on Max’s leg when the door bell rang.

Josh sighed and moved to get up to answer the door but his grandmother stopped him.

“You look far too cute and comfortable darling, stay there. I’ll get the door.” She smiled at him as she got up from the couch where she sat next to his grandfather.

“Thanks grandma.” Josh called after her as he settled down.

“You’re being awful…brave…tonight. Kissing and cuddling on me in full view of you family. You sure you’re feeling ok?” Max asked as he rested a hand on his forehead, as if he were checking for a fever.

“I just decided while my family was here that it was stupid wasting my time being self-conscious. I love you and I don’t care about showing it, no matter who’s around.” Josh smiled up at him, feeling calm and sure of himself, both were altogether new feelings.

A minute later his grandma returned to the living room, with Max’s mom and a guy he only vaguely recognized.

“Debbie, I’m glad you could get here and right on time too. Who’s your friend, a date?” His mom asked her as she moved to take her coat.

Josh looked up at Max and motion to the man standing next to his mother with an awkward smile.

Max shrugged and mouthed the word ‘co-worker’ to him.

“Thanks for the invitation. This is Jonathan; he’s a pediatrician at the hospital.” She said with a smile as the man stepped forward to shake his mother’s hand.

“I hope you don’t mind me crashing the party. I mentioned to Deb that all my family was out of town and she invited me to come along.” Jonathan said as he shook his mother’s hand before turning to the rest of his family.

“Of course not, the more the merrier. You two got here just in time, we’re five minutes away from midnight. You did miss the show though.” His mother said as she winked playfully in his direction.

“Yea you would have loved it aunt D. Josh, his dad, Uncle Nathan and grandpa sang Auld Lang Syne.” Mark piped up, smiling.

“Yes, it was very nice. Jonathan this is my son Josh, my husband Joshua, Joshua’s sister Erica, her husband Nathan and their daughter Evie and my mother and father in-law Aaron and Shannon.” His mother introduced him and his family and Josh sat up properly to shake his hand.

“It’s good to meet all of you. I think I might have run into you when Max was in the hospital a few months ago.” Jonathan said to him and Josh remembered why he recognized the man, he had been one of the attending physicians that had checked on Max while he had been admitted to the hospital.

“Yea I thought I recognized you. It’s good to meet you.” Josh replied as he shook the man’s hand.

“It’s good to see you again, Dr. Lercher.” Max told him as he shook the man’s hand.

An awkward sort of silence fell on the room after the introductions had been done but before it could stretch too long his dad stood up and pulled his mom close.

“Get ready all, one more minute.” He motioned to the clock as he spoke.

Josh stood up and pulled Max up to his feet as well. The two of them took the plastic cups of sparkling grape juice that his grandpa offered them.

As the clock clicked closer to midnight his dad turned on the radio and scrolled through the stations till he found a station playing a thirty second count down to midnight.

“I love you Max,” Josh leaned down to nuzzle against Max’s cheek as he spoke, “I want you to know that I want this to be the first in a very, VERY long line of New year’s eve’s that I want to spend with you…if you want to be with me.”

Max turned his head, his eyes bright with unshed tears, and pressed his lips gently against his.

“I love you too Josh…and I want to be with you, always.” Max whispered as he pulled back.

“Ten, nine, eight, seven.” Their moment had gone unnoticed by the rest of the group as they started to count the seconds down to midnight.

“Six, five, four, three, two, one; HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!” The two of them joined the count for the last six seconds but they ignored the call of happy New Year and instead set their glasses down and pulled each other close.

Josh ducked his head and pressed his lips firmly against Max’s as the clock struck twelve.

Unlike their last kiss a moment ago this one wasn’t as innocent. It maintained the sense of sweetness but wasn’t as chaste. Josh couldn’t think of a better way to welcome in the New Year than with a taste of Max’s kiss.

The two didn’t pull apart until a symphony of whistles and cat-calls sounded around them. The blushing couple pulled apart and looked around them; members of both families were smiling and shaking their heads in exasperation.

“Umm…Happy New Year?” Josh offered up as Max hid his face against his chest and laughed.

                                                           *          *          *

Tom turned his back on the cold breeze that blew hard against him as he set his back pack down on the hood of his car. He dug through it again, making sure that his sketch pad was stored safely inside.

Tom had taken to carrying the book with him whenever he left the house. His dad had been bitching about him spending so much time in his room, demanding answers as to what he had been doing in there for hours on end. His answers of studying and homework had worked at first but in the few days since New Year’s Eve his dad had been getting more and more suspicious…and demanding.

After he had burned the sketch pad over Christmas his dad demanded to know why he had it and his answer of being just being bored had seemed to work but with his dad’s new behavior he was afraid that he might go through his room to see if he were telling the truth.

It wouldn’t be the first time after all.

Comforted that the book was with him he zipped up his pack and headed to school.

Tom did his best to ignore the wide berth that most students gave him as he paced through the halls to his locker.

‘Just ignore it; what they think of you doesn’t matter. It only hurts if you let it hurt.’ He repeated over and over in his head, doing his best to follow Mr. Watcher’s advice. Tom had confided in him in one of their recent sessions that he felt as if everyone he met knew that there was something…different…about him. He knew it was stupid and impossible for anyone to know that he was in the closet or seeing a shrink but he couldn’t help how he felt.

As Tom rounded the corner he spotted the familiar form of Josh standing at the end of the hall….six lockers down from his.

‘What the hell is he doing here, his locker is no where near here.’ Tom asked himself, annoyed that Josh was near him. It was bad enough he had to see him and Max walking around in the halls all the time…together…happy.

Knowing what would happen if he tried to examine the feelings that were pushing their way to the surface he took a deep breath and ruthlessly shoved them back down.

Moving up to his locker quietly, not wanting Josh to hear him so he wasn’t treated to the look that the taller guy always shot at him, he set to working the combination for his locker.

Glad for the locker door obscuring his view Tom managed to forget that Josh was down the hall from him as he swapped books back and forth, making sure to stow his sketch pad in his locker. Once done he closed the door as quietly as he could and saw that Josh had shifted aside, revealing why he had been there.

The guy that was swapping books back and forth between his bag and his locker was small enough that he had been hidden by Josh’s slim form.

He and his locker were illuminated by bright sunlight streaming through one of the schools high windows. The light seemed to make his bright red hair and pale skin glow. Tom swallowed hard as the guy turned in his direction and smiled. The bright white, even smile wasn’t aimed at him, but up at Josh.

His bright blue eyes were locked on Josh’s face as he smiled and nodded his head at something that Josh had said. They were close enough that he should have been able to hear the words they exchanged but something had turned off his ability to hear.

Tom watched as the little guy turned to pull another book from his pack to stow in his locker, accidently spilling the contents of the pack on to the floor. The dull thuds of books hitting the floor brought back Tom’s ability to hear.

“Thanks for the help Josh.” The small guy said as Josh bent down to pick up the books for him.

Tom realized with horror that there were tears on his face. He felt a deep, uncomfortable knot form in his chest at the sound of the little guy’s voice. It didn’t register in his mind that Josh and Max were together and that there was no chance this guy was involved with Josh but for some reason he didn’t understand, and at the moment didn’t want to, seeing the pair together hurt.

Deftly wiping the moisture off his face he turned and left the pair behind him.

‘He’s beautiful…’

*********************************************************************************************************

I want to thank Rush for her work in editing, without her I would be nowhere. As always, I love to get your thoughts and opinions so feel free to email me at allenarcane88@yahoo.com, drop me a PM, write me a review or visit the discussion forum.

I read and respond to everything.

Discussion Forum link

Copyright © 2014 NightOwl88; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thanks, as always, for posting. This was a beautiful chapter, full of great characterizations. I really like the way Tom is portrayed. The dialogue flows well, too.

Some writers focus on settings, some on action or plot, but yours always centers on characters and their interactions.

I hope you always keep writing. It's a little late to say it, but happy new year, Owl. May it bring you all the best in life.

Link to comment

Happy chapter - friends, family and holidays - always a great combination. I enjoyed it immensely. Let me add that I completely agree with rustle's comments. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Nicely edited too!

Link to comment

I loved this chapter too, Owl! I loved Josh and Max being free to be themselves, and the family smiling and happy about it! I'm thinking Mark and Tom might have a future together. And I am glad that Grandma stood up to Ms. Anders. I wanted to reach into the computer and wring her neck! Thanks for the wonderful writing job that you do.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Link to comment
On 02/09/2012 10:06 PM, rustle said:
Thanks, as always, for posting. This was a beautiful chapter, full of great characterizations. I really like the way Tom is portrayed. The dialogue flows well, too.

Some writers focus on settings, some on action or plot, but yours always centers on characters and their interactions.

I hope you always keep writing. It's a little late to say it, but happy new year, Owl. May it bring you all the best in life.

Hey Rustle, a pleasure to see you; as always.

 

You don't have to thank me, I enjoy it just as much as you guys do, I just wish I was able to update more often; which I'm working on.

 

I think I've said this before but Tom might actually be my most flushed out character, I knew from his conception exactly who he would be and where he would end up. I'm glad you like how he is written, at least for now lol.

 

I strive to make my dialogue flow and sound real. Although Rush tells me that I often sound like an old man when I write.

 

The way I write isn't intentional, not really. I mean i try to write so that folks can visualize whats happening but I guess I do spent more time on developing my characters than anything else, I'm glad that it shows through.

 

I will always write, no worries about that. Thanks for the happy new year rustle, you too.

Link to comment
On 02/10/2012 05:07 AM, Conner said:
Happy chapter - friends, family and holidays - always a great combination. I enjoyed it immensely. Let me add that I completely agree with rustle's comments. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Nicely edited too!

Hey Conner, good to see you again.

 

I like the combination myself so I hoped that my readers would as well. I'm glad that it worked with you.

 

For editing congrats you'll have to see Momma Rush as it was her wonderful work, but I'll give her you're message.

 

Best.

Owl

Link to comment
On 02/10/2012 08:40 AM, lin said:
I loved this chapter too, Owl! I loved Josh and Max being free to be themselves, and the family smiling and happy about it! I'm thinking Mark and Tom might have a future together. And I am glad that Grandma stood up to Ms. Anders. I wanted to reach into the computer and wring her neck! Thanks for the wonderful writing job that you do.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I do so love to see you Lin,

 

I'm glad that there is a consensus on this chapter; it was good lol.

 

I really wanted to write an anti-closet scene for this chapter and the Party with Max and Josh and everyone was the perfect excuse, (thanks Momma Rush). Mark and Tom eh....now that would be a...curious...combination hmmm. Grandma Calvin is somewhat modeled after my own grandmother, who is a very tuff as nails kind of woman. I like to think that's how she'd react in such a similar situation.

 

I do love to write villains that people want to hurt, it gives me such a feeling of accomplishment lol.

 

You're welcome.

 

best,

Owl

Link to comment

As soon as mark told max his preference I thought of Tom, I actually think they would be good for each other. I think max will agree too.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..