Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 3,826 Words
  • 3,845 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Trouble Plus Trouble. - 15. Chapter 15

An afternoon with Phillips.

Double The Trouble.

Chapter 15.

"What are you doing? Trying to see who can take the most photos?"

"Dad said we could have his camera whenever we like and Peter has never used a digital one before, so we’re trying to fill it by the end of the day."

"It must be full by now?"

"No, there's still over fifty left. We’ll take some more after school too."

After school Peter and Matthew looked for Phillips so they could lock the camera in his car during training rather than leave it lying around in Matthew's bag, and then when they went in and started changing, their dare from the previous evening caught up with them.

"Check the jocks on Bluey. Looks like he wants to put on a show."

Kenny's comment caused a laugh, and then there was a bigger one because Peter was just in the act of stepping out of his cargoes.

"God Big D.! You too? How do you make it all fit in?"

Peter just grinned and quickly got his speedos on. He was now almost used to comments like Justin’s about his size, since they happened almost every time he was in this room.

"That wasn't much of a show. Now Kenny will have to dream about Justin instead."

"Dream on yourself, David. Like you do every night."

Kenny, David and Justin were still stirring each other about their dreams when Peter and Matthew walked out to the pool. Phillips joined them a few minutes later and listened to Matthew’s ideas about his swimming.

"Breaststroke?"

"Yes, not many people get really good at it and I think it’s your best stroke."

"I've always thought freestyle was my best."

"It's good, but Peter will soon be better. Breaststroke is your best chance for keeping a number one position."

"Second you mean. You're the fastest."

"I'm only swimming hundred metre events like I did in the trials."

Peter listened with interest as Matthew set Phillips up to be the breaststroke champion, then started on his hour of exhausting practice. At the end of the time he sat for five minutes and watched. Matthew was still helping Phillips and the others were all churning away at their laps till Kenny came and sat next to him.

"Worn out Peter?"

"Yes, Matthew's deadly when he sets you training."

"No one could believe it when he won everything at the trials."

Justin and David joined them next and they all watched Matthew and Phillips, till they were finished as well.

"Yo, Phillips! What's it like in the Beginner's Club?"

Phillips was still breathing hard and brushing water from his body.

"You might be lucky enough to get in it sometime Kenny."

Peter watched the nods. Wow! The Beginner's Club had sure changed its status. In the changing room Peter grabbed a shower next to Matthew and after adjusting the temperature turned around in time to see Kenny heading to the doorway with two lots of gear. His and Matthew’s. Now what? Peter continued his shower and a minute later Kenny returned waving the red and blue pairs of jocks.

"Catch!"

Matthew wasn't quite ready and missed the blue pair which went flying over his head, through the shower and then dropped to the floor. Peter caught the red ones and when Matthew retrieved the dropped pair, they swapped. Matthew was putting his on so Peter did the same. This must be what they were expected to do! Following Matthew’s cue Peter finished his shower and stepped towards the bench. His towel was gone so he brushed the water off as best he could, and looked at Kenny.

"They're near the diving board."

At least they knew where their clothes were now, but how were they meant to get them?

"Come on Peter."

Matthew headed to the door and waited. Oh God! In just the jocks? Peter moved to catch up.

"It's not much different to wearing speedos, and we’ll go together."

It felt different to Peter, but they were on their way anyhow. There weren't many people but by the time they’d reached the diving board and been given some startled looks Peter's face was flushed bright red. No clothes anywhere! They looked around but there was nowhere they could be hidden. They’d walked almost as far from the changing room as was possible.

"We'll just have to keep looking."

Keeping together they continued their circuit, till halfway along the other side of the pool they saw their bags against the wall. Peter went to grab his towel but Matthew motioned for him to leave it in the bag.

"Finish the show Peter. Show them it doesn't worry you."

Show them? Sure enough, there they all were, lined up just outside the changing room door, wrapped in their towels, and watching. As Peter went to pick up his things he heard Matthew speak softly.

"Pretend you're embarrassed then grab Kenny's towel. I'll get Phillips."

It worked perfectly for Peter. Kenny was enjoying his prank so much he came out to slow their progress and his guard was completely down when Peter's free arm reached out, seemingly to try to push him aside. The look of shock was priceless when one deft tug left him putting on his own unexpected show. Peter tossed the towel to the side and dashed for the door. Phillips had been too tricky and quick, and he now had Matthew held with those strong arms.

Peter couldn't resist it, and after another deft tug a second towel went flying.

Peter was through the door, closely followed by Phillips who was still holding Matthew. Kenny was trying to get through, but there were too many bodies ahead of him, and Justin and David were standing there laughing their heads off. Peter tossed his bag towards the bench then turned, and wondering what to do for Matthew, ended up taking his bag as well. By now everyone was back in the room and Kenny was the one copping it.

"Hey Kenny! Give us another show. That one was too quick."

Phillips released Matthew, which surprised Peter, and it was all over except for lots of smiles and a barrage of stirring, with a consensus that the rug-rats had got the better of Kenny.

Phillips’ old bomb started on the third try again, and for most of the drive he was talking to Matthew about swimming.

"Are you coming in for a drink?"

"Thanks, is it that egg stuff?"

"If you like."

Inside, Matthew left Peter to make the snacks while he connected the camera and set it downloading to his computer. Phillips stayed, at Matthew’s invitation, and for half an hour they laughed and enjoyed looking through all the photos.

"This is Peter when he wakes up. He looks like this in the mornings."

"What? Sleepy-eyed or having a boner?"

"Both!"

Peter was intrigued to see himself. It was different to looking in a mirror and he wished Matthew wasn't clicking through the pictures quite so quickly.

"Does Peter stay here at nights?"

"Yes, we study together twice a week and the olds are usually in bed before we finish."

"Look at this. It's gross!"

Andy and Marty had carried on when the camera first started pointing at them, and this was a picture where Andy's finger was halfway up his nose.

"Why are you taking so many?"

Matthew explained how they had a project to get photos of Marty for a girl who was interested in him, and they were pretending to be camera geeks.

"Except that it’s not pretending. Peter took twice as many photos as I did."

Oh yeah? Peter didn't think Matthew was doing much pretending either. They finished looking and when Matthew erased the memory card he handed the camera to Peter.

"Take some of Phillips while he’s driving you home."

Phillips looked startled and, click, Peter caught his expression. Then he grinned at being caught candid and, click, he was caught again.

"Why does everyone call you Phillips instead of your first name?"

This was interesting. Peter hadn't thought about this and his curiosity built as he waited for the answer to Matthew's question.

"It happened the year before last. I was talking in class and when the teacher got annoyed she called out my name. She must have hiccupped or something because halfway through her voice went all high-pitched and it made the whole class laugh. Everyone copied it to stir me and then they got used to it."

"And now you're stuck with it?"

"Yeah, it happens like that sometimes."

That was for sure. Peter was now called Big D. by all the team and most of the people in his class.

"Do you wish they said Brent?"

"Yes, but it doesn't really matter."

Peter could tell that Matthew was going to call him Brent from then on. Ten minutes later the car pulled up at Peter's place and on impulse he asked Phillips, no he must remember to call him Brent, to come in.

"Mum should be home in a half-hour so we can do what we like till then."

When they got to his room, Peter changed from his good cargoes into a pair of running shorts and an old T-shirt, then they sat on the bed talking. Brent was quite interested in all Peter's books. He said he did some reading himself but a book usually lasted about three weeks. Peter wondered why he was doing Lit if it took him that long.

"How did you get into swimming Phi- ..Brent?"

Phillips flashed him a look and then grinned.

"I've always liked it. I was good even in primary school when we first had swimming lessons, and about three years ago I started winning some of the races and I liked that too. It's very exciting when you're racing. You'll see what it's like at the first comp."

"Do you think coach will put me in anything? I didn't win any of the trials."

"What are you talking about? You'll be in everything you tried for, plus relays. When we’re competing against just one school we can have three guys for each event if we want to, though only the first two count for points."

"Everything? That will be harder than training with Matthew."

"Doubts! He pushes you much harder than coach. Coach only expects two days."

"That's only till he reckons I’m strong enough, then we’ll cut back on our time."

"Yeah? How strong do you want to be?"

"I don't know. Matthew will tell me. He says I could be stronger than him but I think that's just trying to make me feel good! He wrestles me all the time and his muscles are all wiry. The only time I can beat him is when I use some of the tricks Andy and Marty showed me."

"You wrestle with them too?"

Peter laughed.

"They wrestle with me and pretend I'm beating them sometimes."

Brent flopped on his back.

"See if you can hold me down."

One of Marty's holds worked perfectly and despite all his efforts Brent couldn't free himself till Peter allowed it.

"That's sneaky. Is it what Andy and Marty do to you?"

"Andy does sometimes. Marty doesn't even need to. They torture me all the time."

"Torture?"

"Not really. They try to make me laugh."

"What do they do?"

"Tickle me and stuff."

Whoops! Peter saw a wicked gleam in Brent's eyes. In seconds he was laughing and begging Brent to stop. He didn't. They both knew very well that Peter was enjoying it.

"No wonder they like doing this Peter. You laugh so much."

Brent was laughing almost as much himself, as he watched Peter's convulsive wrigglings and reactions.

“Oops! Sorry Brent!"

In one of his shoves Peter's grip stretched Brent's cargoes the wrong way and one of the buttons when flying. They both sat up to survey the damage and Peter collected a pair of running shorts from his cupboard. They were a bit small but since they had a stretchy band it didn't matter. Brent pulled them on then took off his good shirt.

"Good one big D. Now I have to make you pay for ripping my shorts to bits."

Flattened by Brent, and laughing from the hands rubbing his sides and stomach, the familiar reaction started building. In a pause when Brent was letting him catch his breath, Peter adjusted himself so he was more comfortable.

"What is it? A boner?"

"I can't help it. It happens every time I wrestle with someone."

"Me too. Forget about it."

As if. Brent was as overwhelming as Andy and with the close wrestling it was in inevitable that chance pressings occurred.

"Hey, you have to get tortured too Brent."

"I do?"

"Of course. It's not fair otherwise."

"What? I just lie there and let you do all this stuff to me? What if I'm not ticklish?"

"You are. But I know other stuff anyway. Aren't you game?"

Brent laughed, let Peter up, then took his place on the bed. He was just like Andy when it came to a challenge.

"And how long before I fight back?"

"Ten minutes. That's how long you tortured me."

"Ten minutes? God! You are dangerous Peter."

"Yes, I bet you can't last that long."

That just made Brent laugh more, till Peter sat on his stomach and started bouncing. He caught Brent by surprise with the first bounce, but after that his muscles tensed and the squishing didn't work.

"Gaah! You nearly killed me."

Peter reached down and gave a double nipple nauger, just hard enough to make Brent squawk.

"Hell! Ten minutes of this? You’ll definitely kill me."

Time to try some tickling. It sure worked, and Peter felt the strength of the body tensing beneath him. It was his turn to laugh at the reactions he was getting from Brent. The ten minutes passed, and then more. Somehow or other Brent had determined to take whatever was done to him and Peter made the most of it, despite the death and retribution threats that came thick and fast. When they did stop they were both grinning, and Peter knew they'd be wrestling lots more in the future. While Brent was putting his cargoes back on Peter heard his mum’s car pull up, and then the front door opening. She was late as usual, but not by much. He pulled on his sloppy, comfortable T-shirt and took Brent downstairs.

"Hi Mum. This is Brent. He’s in the team and he's training with Matthew and me."

Peter received his hug and Brent a friendly greeting and handshake.

"Peter, get some drinks out. You look like something the cat dragged in, and Brent looks hot. I hope you've been looking after him?"

"We had a snack at Matthews. Brent gives us a lift. He’s studying Lit with us next Tuesday. What's for tea?"

Beth laughed.

"It was a busy day. Too much traffic on the way home. Is that Brent's car out the front? Haven't you cooked it yet?"

Peter took a bottle from the fridge and saw Brent eyeing it off.

"It's not Bickford’s cordial. It's ginger beer. I bet you like it. We could have lamb chops and salad Mum. That won't take long."

"I don't think there'd be enough for Brent. Get some of those sausages out of the freezer."

Brent's attention swivelled from the drink Peter was pouring to the unexpected invitation.

"Um, it's all right thanks. My mum will already be starting on ours."

Beth nodded.

"Have tea with us on Tuesday then. You'll be here anyway."

Brent gave a quick look at Peter who was nodding. That was all arranged then Peter walked to the car to see Brent off.

"Another quiet one Peter?"

"Not always Mum. Matthew and I call him Jekyll and Hyde. You should see him at school. He’s rowdier than Andy."

Beth's eyebrows lifted in the quizzical look.

"He's the one Andy had me so nervous about."

"Oh? And now you're friends?"

"I think so. Matthew and I both like him. It was Matthew's idea to help him with his Lit. He thinks Brent is lonely."

Beth sat down to relax while Peter organised their food, then after enjoying it together they both started working, Beth with stuff from her job and Peter with a full evening of study. He started reading at eleven, but fell asleep after a couple of pages and didn't wake up till nine the next morning. It took another half-hour to get out of bed and when he went down for coffee and cereal Beth was busy with domestics, as she called cleaning the house, washing and other chores, and wanted to know why he was up so early.

"I'm not. I'm getting up at eleven. Matthew’s making me train for an hour, then I'm studying all afternoon, so I deserve it."

"Poor thing! Life’s tough isn't it?"

Reading his book wasn't tough but training with Matthew and then working on chemistry was. At half four Peter heard a car toot outside and was surprised to hear Rob's voice. What was he here for? An hour early? Peter headed down to see what was going on and met Matthew on his way up.

"What's happening?""I'm not sure. Dad said he wanted to talk with Beth and we have to look after ourselves."

"I'll look after you Matthew. It'll be hard work though!"

Pleased to see each other after only a bit over four hours, they lobbed on the bed to catch up. Training had been too full on to talk much.

"What are we having for tea?"

"You'll see."

"What did you do last night?"

"Chemistry. And all afternoon too. Guess what?"

"What?"

"Brent’s coming for tea on Tuesday. Mum asked him."

"She saw him?"

"Yes, I asked him in and he was still here when she got home."

"You call him Brent now?"

"It was your idea Matthew and I know he likes it."

"Does Beth like him?"

"Yes, she only saw him for a couple of minutes, but we talked about him after he'd gone. I like him more all the time. He was fun."

"What did you do?"

"Mucked round. Wrestling."

"Wrestling! Did he mangle you? He's much stronger."

"Very funny! I beat him half the time."

Matthew thought that was funny and Peter explained what happened.

"Wow! That's interesting. And he was gentler than Andy? I thought he'd be rougher. Did he hold you on the neck?"

Matthew dug his fingers into Peter's neck and squeezed tight.

"No."

"Did he poke you in the side?"

The shivers running through Peter’s scalp stopped and he laughed at the gentle digs in his side.

"No."

"Well he doesn't know much does he?"

Peter laughed again, poked back, then went to his cupboard and got the blue running shorts.

"What are these for?"

"You better put them on. I'm getting so strong I wrecked Brent's good shorts."

"Sure too! What did you do?"

"I ripped one of the buttons off."

"That sounds rude!"

"You're the rude one for thinking that. Come on! Put them on and take your shirt off."

"Off? Who's the rude one now? It almost sounds like Greek wrestling."

"Greek wrestling? What's that?"

"When the Olympic Games started they used to wrestle in the nude. I think they did everything like that."

"Really? With everyone watching?"

"I think so. But everyone was used to it."

"Ha! Sounds like going somewhere with Andy and Marty."

"You wouldn't be able to do it Peter. You'd get a boner every time."

Peter's eyes flew open. He couldn't believe he'd heard that.

"Matthew Peck! You get them faster than I do."

"So? That doesn't mean I'm wrong. And I'm not as fast as you anyway."

Peter dived at Matthew and tried for one of Marty's holds.

"Yes you are. When we do the practising you’re always first."

Matthew wriggled free, pushed Peter onto the bed and accidentally on purpose landed on top of him and grabbed his neck again.

"No I'm not. That's because you always grab me first. What else do expect with you yanking away at it."

"Yanking? You wait! I really will next time."

"Now who's the rude one?"

Matthew laughed and his finger found its way into Peter's belly button.

"That's cheating."

"All right, I won't. But I bet you get one before me."

Now Peter was laughing.

"What? Are we going to be Greek wrestlers?"

"You're not Greek. You're weak."

Peter managed to get his arm round Matthew's neck and momentarily gain the upper hand. A few minutes later he had to rearrange himself in his jocks.

"What's wrong Peter? Got an itch?"

"Very funny! It doesn't count because you started it."

They wrestled happily for another quarter of an hour before Peter had to start cooking. He’d decided on a shepherd's pie with chunky meat strips instead of mince, and Matthew watched and helped by making one of his salads. When it was in the oven and baking they headed up to the room again and talked about books for a while. Matthew picked the camera up and took some photos of the bookshelves and round the room.

"What have you taken Peter? It works out at 67 shots so far!"

"Nearly all of Brent. I think he liked me taking them."

"Did he? We’ll use him for a model on Tuesday then, and practise getting portraits and other shots.”

That sounded interesting and Peter wanted to know what Matthew meant about the portraits.

"I don't know all that much. Just some things dad showed me about light from the back and stuff. It needs three people really."

Matthew explained a little bit but it was time to check on the pie. It cooked beautifully and everyone was full of praise. Rob was in fine form, wanting to know who the shepherd was and how many lambs had been slaughtered to make it.

"That's very bloodthirsty."

"Sorry Beth! It comes from living with a teenage son. You know how it is."

That set them nodding at each other as if they'd just agreed about one of the mysteries of the universe, Peter and Matthew answering that they acted like they did because of heredity, and who was to blame for that?

"Beth, did you know it's a scientific fact that sixteen and seventeen year old boys have a chemical in their brain that makes them drive their parents crazy with stress?"

More wise adult nodding, then Matthew said it was a fact that parents had a chemical which made them make up facts to suit their arguments. Beth started laughing while Rob shook his head sadly and said that just proved his point. After the movies were over Matthew decided that Peter was sleeping at his place for the night.

The end of chapter 15.

Iarwain.

An afternoon with Phillips.
Copyright © 2011 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 3
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..