Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,512 Words
  • 3,650 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beyond Frontier - 8. BF Chapter 8

“That’s good. Well, tomorrow we need to get your vessel steam cleaned, and we need to set up some protocols for when we board and leave the vessel when on the islands,” the director said to me.

“Two nights ago we had some media get on board who trashed the place looking for information. Luckily our medic and I were still on board and we were able to lock off key areas. Why I am telling you this is that there is a good chance that there will be more media heading to Exmouth a little after 11am tomorrow, and I would like to be gone before they arrive. Can I inform my senior crew of what we are doing?” I said to the Director.

“Yes, that will be fine,” was the response, and I left the room, and headed upstairs to the bridge.

I was pleased that both Simon and Jasper were on the bridge, and I sat down to talk to them about what I had learnt about this charter, and that I would be involved in the research project because of my zoology qualifications. I informed my senior crew of the steam cleaning of the vessel to avoid environment contamination, and that we would be leaving no later than 0900 hours the following day.

After the chat with Simon and Jasper I headed down to the main deck to look at the set up in the research workrooms, which were decked out with a variety of specialist equipment which the research team were completing setting up. I was very impressed with everything, and I looked at all the equipment carefully. I was familiar with most of it from my time as a science student at university.

“When we have finished this charter, you may want to think about having the dividing wall between the two research workshops made into a fold away wall to make it one big work area,” the Director said to me as he walked into the room.

“I will take that into consideration, sir,” I said with a smile. We sat down along with Dr Reuben, to discuss plans for the next 16 days, and how we were going to deal with any issues that may spring up. We looked at the charts of the islands that we would be visiting, plus where the best places were to get onto each island.

After the meeting with the Director and Dr Reuben, I headed back to the bridge to talk to Jasper and Simon to get them up to speed with what was being planned for the next 16 days. As we were finishing our discussions Finn called on the two-way to announce that dinner was ready, so we headed downstairs to the dining area, where I found the four stewards in dress uniform, serving dinner to all the guests. I too sat down, along with Jasper and Simon.

When Kirk delivered my dinner, I asked him where Mathew, Alex and Toby were, and I was informed that they, along with the stewards and himself, had eaten half an hour earlier, and that they were in the forward lounge. During dinner I heard the students discussing this charter, and how exciting it was going to be to be on such remote islands off the coast.

“Because they are remote we want to take great care not to destroy bird and animal nesting sites. Please also take great care with your own wellbeing, as it gets very hot, and there is very little fresh water available. Everyone must carry fresh water, wear a wide brim hat, and put sunscreen on,” I informed the students.

“Have you been to these islands off the North-West Coast or something similar?” one of the students asked. Jasper gave a short laugh, while Simon and I chuckled.

“Obviously you haven’t been keeping track of the media reports over the past few months,” Simon replied, and the student looked at us confused, and I smiled.

“Do you recall anything about a trimaran yacht that was marooned on an uninhabited island, west of Hawaii some months ago?” I said to the student, who still looked a little puzzled.

“Anton here, along with his two younger brothers and myself, were on that yacht, stranded on that island. It was sensible thinking, and a lot of determination that got us through that and back to civilization, and so, yes, we have visited the islands in this region before,” Simon responded.

“Yes, I remember now. There was also something about a drug cartel chasing after you as well,” another student stated.

“That is enough talk about their past. Let’s just concentrate on what we have to do in the next couple of weeks, shall we,” the director said.

Once we had finished dinner, Simon, Jasper and I headed to the forward lounge where we found Mathew and Alex watching a movie with Toby presumably on watch. We sat down to watch the movie as well. Just under twenty minutes later Mathew squeezed my hand, and I looked over to him.

“We had better get to bed, since I need to be up again before 0200 hours,” I announced as Mathew and I stood up and made our way to the door.

“I better get ready to relieve Toby on deck watch,” Simon announced.

After a quick shower we headed to bed to get just over five hours sleep before I needed to get up for watch duty. We fell asleep cuddled up together. When my alarm sounded at 0130 hrs, I quietly climbed out of bed, trying not to wake up Mathew. I dressed and made my way down to the galley, where I made a cup of tea.

Once I had warmed up a little, I headed to the back of mid-deck, where Simon was sitting on a chair just under cover. When he heard me come out the door he turned towards me and smiled. “Good morning, boss. All clear so far,” he said to me.

“That’s good to hear. Head to bed mate. We will be leaving no later than 0900 hours. See you later on in the morning,” I said to my best friend.

“Ok, boss, no problems,” he replied, as he stood up and headed inside.

After a walk around the outer mid-deck, which gives a clear view of the whole vessel and its surrounds, I sat down in the chair and looked out to the clear sky where there were plenty of stars out. A slight chilly breeze was blowing. Every half an hour I stood up and walked around the vessel, to check that all was secure, as well as to stretch my legs. At about 0530, Alex appeared with a cup of tea for me, and we chatted for a little while till he returned to the galley. A little after 0600 I was rewarded with a magnificent sunrise which I always enjoy.

Just over an hour later Jasper arrived with another cup of tea for me, which I gladly accepted. “What time do you want to set off this morning, boss?” he asked me, after a long period of silence.

“Let me check with the director and Dr Reuben, but be ready to go at 0900. Thanks, skipper,” I replied before taking another sip of my drink. Then I stood up and walked inside where I nearly bumped into Toby exiting from the crew cabin.

“Sorry, boss,” he said to me, as he stepped back into the cabin.

“Ouch! That was my foot,” came a cry from inside.

“Oops! Sorry, mate,” Toby said stepping back out into the passageway, after I had stepped forward to get out of his way. I spotted Leon jumping up and down on one leg while holding onto his other foot, and I couldn’t help but start laughing at the antics happening, as I saw Leon fall backwards into Kirk, and they both went crashing down onto the floor.

“Oh, look! It’s the Three Stooges Show,” I commented, and I saw Toby’s face go red as a beetroot with embarrassment for causing the chaos which made me laugh even louder as I headed upstairs to my cabin for a quick shower. Once I had freshened up and put on my uniform I headed downstairs to the dining area to get some breakfast.

“What’s with all the noise upstairs?” Alex asked me as I walked in and sat down at a table.

“You better ask your… you better ask Toby when you see him,” I said stopping mid-sentence to adjust my wording, since there were guests in the room.

Once Alex had handed me a fresh cup of tea and a plate of toast, I stood up and headed upstairs to the bridge to check the charts once more of the area that we would be travelling to. About fifteen minutes later the two-way radio came to life. “Galley to Boss, do you copy me? Over,” I heard Alex say quietly.

“Yes, Alex. What’s the problem? Over,” I responded.

“You better find the Director and get down to the dining area. I have just copped a barrage of homophobic abuse from three students after you left. I am down in the laundry with Lisa and Becca at the moment, till you deal with it. Over,” Alex replied. I sighed loudly, not happy with the situation.

“Ok, on my way. Over and out,” I replied. I went down to mid-deck to find the Director, who was just stepping out of his cabin.

“Director, may I speak to you in the forward lounge for a moment please,” I said to him, skipping the morning greetings, and instead heading down the stairs to the main deck. He turned and lead the way into the lounge, with me close behind, and I slammed the door closed.

“I apologise for the door slamming, but I have good reason to be angry,” I said to the director when I saw him jump from the unexpectedly loud bang. “I am not sure what your views are on sexual orientation issues, but on this yacht 98% of this crew are gay, and we have just had three of your students…”

I was interrupted by Dr Reuben entering the room. Closing the door behind her she said, “I heard what you started to say. Please continue, Mr Hamilton.”

“As I was saying, three of your students have just hurled a lot of homophobic abuse at one of my crew members who is currently badly shaken up and being looked after by my two female stewards. I do not allow any homophobic abuse on board this or any other of my two vessels, no matter if they are guests or crew,” I said angrily.

“I see. Well, you will get my full support on whatever action you take, as I have a gay younger brother,” Dr Carrington said to me.

“And from me too, as I myself am gay,” Dr Reuben added.

“I am very glad to hear that Director. Then you won’t mind telling those three students, that they have 30 minutes to pack their belongings and get off this yacht,” I said.

“Very well, Mr Hamilton. It will be done right away,” the director said. I exited the room with a smile and headed to the back of mid-deck to speak to Jasper about this. He too was very angry about this, and after telling me to stay put, he headed inside.

Of course, I didn’t stay on the balcony of mid-deck. Instead I went down the external stairs, and inside via the main aft doors, and down the passage to the doors leading the dining area, which I quietly opened a little bit, just enough for me to hear what was happening.

“I am saddened by the actions of some of you students this morning. I have been reliably informed that three of you have verbally abused a crew member of this vessel. Are those responsible going to own up to it, or does this have to be made into a major incident?” I heard the director say.

“Thank you, gentlemen, for being honest. Now is there anyone else that has the same views as these three young men,” I heard him continue, after a short break of silence. “I see. Right, this is what is going to happen. You three young men will immediately pack your bags and leave this vessel, as you have been dismissed from this charter, which the skipper and owner have full rights to do. Furthermore, you are suspended from any involvement with the Oceans Institute, pending a disciplinary hearing to be set when I return to my office.

“For the rest of you, although you have not done anything, I am issuing a clear warning to you all, that there will be no verbal abuse of any kind, while on this vessel. If you do, it will result in your termination from this project, and you will be sent home. Am I fully clear on that?” the director said to the students.

“You can’t kick us off this vessel. We have a right to be on this project,” I heard one disgruntled student say. That is when I heard a door opening, then slam shut.

“The director has the full authority to do just that. After attending a meeting with the vessel’s owner, and as the skipper I also have the legal right to do so,” I heard Jasper say loudly in an angry tone, and a student gave a short laugh.

“And what would you know about legal rights, sailor man?” I heard the student say.

“Oh, I would say six years of service with the Western Australian police force is enough, don’t you think Director?” Jasper replied.

“Yes, I do believe it does, Sir,” I heard the director respond.

Next, I heard the door open, and footsteps heading up to the mid-deck, which I guessed to be that of the three students. I opened the door, and stepped inside the dining area, when Jasper saw me and frowned. “Now that went well,” I commented, and Jasper gave a short laugh, as I opened the door to the port hull. “All clear to come back up now,” I shouted down the stairs, and Alex who looked like he had been crying entered followed by Lisa and Rebecca. “Go and have a rest break. I’m sure the ladies can finish prep for breakfast,” I said to Alex giving him a slight smile of encouragement before he headed off to find Toby.

I watched the ladies get busy in the galley, then followed Jasper upstairs to mid-deck. He stood in the passageway waiting for the students to gather their belongings. “You now have fifteen minutes, so I suggest you get a move on,” Jasper said loud enough for the three students to hear, and I continued up to the bridge, to try and calm down a little bit. About ten minutes later Jasper appeared on the bridge, where he found me studying the charts.

October 2017 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 47
  • Love 4
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

oh dear not a good start to this charter, lets hope thats the last of the homophobic abuse from the guests. Those students could still cause trouble as they know what the expedition is for.

Edited by chris191070
  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

 Well, the media and gas company just gained three potential allies with the departure of the three homophobic students. Although we are left wondering how they knew about Alex's orientation. Anton's near slip wasn't enough to bring that on. What would have happened if this had occurred on-site at the islands? Call for a steam cleaned seaplane?

  • Like 5
Link to comment

B)...................You would have thought the students had been informed of the policies of the Charter boat, perhaps the assignment was held closely. but the charter boat had been known for a week.  Looks like Anton and Jasper have been kicking a lot of people off the boats lately. all justifiably warranted. And some have noted Anton's attitude in dealing with customers as tyrannical. I could also agree, but stipulate that he should be very stressed out considering all he has been through, numerous murder/assault attempts, burglaries, a little ship wreck. I also notice how gun shy he has become around some people as well the press with cameras and some people too. Great chapter!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Another thing has been nagging me. This is a 16-day charter. Presuming the Logistics company wishes to continue doing business with Anton's company, what happens if a cargo shipment is needed? Ordinarily, Anton might have been able to use the trimaran in a pinch, but all the crew is now on the research vessel. I'm just wondering if any provision was made for which use the research vessel has priority.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great chapter; however, I can see the 3 'students' going to the media and making a lot of noise.  Remember the comment that was made about their stranding and someone remarking about being chased by a drug cartel.  Is that drug cartel still out there somewhere and will they make an appearance yet again?  I look forward to each chapter and like to think about what else is out there for our reluctant heroes.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

“Obviously you haven’t been keeping track of the media reports over the past few months,” Simon replied

I thought this story was set 5 years after the events of the last book so should this have been media reports from 5 years ago ?

Edited by mrbossmant
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I have a feeling that Anton hasn't heard the last of the remarks about gay people. Unfortunately there are still quite few bigoted people in the world, even though the views of the world are changing a bit a time as to the relationship between two people who are in love with one another whether it be a heterosexual couple or a bi couple or even a true gay couple of a man with a man or woman with woman. I hope that this is an isolated incident and that they'll be able to get underway for the charter and once they get started with the work they'll have their hands full. I'm glad that Anton made it clear that he wouldn't allow the kind of remarks about gay people aboard any of his vessels at all, I think he was a bit shocked to find out that the director of the Institute has a gay relative and the parks department rep is in a gay relationship herself. They both understand why Anton acted like he did after Alex told him of the remarks being made. I think if the 3 students who made the remarks would have pushed the issue of staying in the research group they might have been expelled from the institute for the remarks, not only that but Jasper might've made a call to the police station to have the offenders removed forcefully if necessary. I'm glad that it didn't come to that point and also because of the background Jasper has he was well aware of what he could do under the law. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..