Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,854 Words
  • 3,199 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beyond Frontier - 20. BF Chapter 20

“Can you coil it around some shoes or something in James’s room for me please?” I asked, and she just laughed and headed into the staff quarters, returning a few minutes later. “I left it curled around the foot of the toilet instead,” she said as she passed me and I gave a short laugh.

“Tea is on the boil if you want some,” she called out as she continued to walk back to the homestead. I put Roey down for a moment, so I could put my shoes on, then scooping her up again we headed to the dining room for some late afternoon tea. On the table was a fresh pot of tea, some cups and a plate with a freshly baked cake on it with 4 slices already cut. So, placing Roey down on the floor, I sat down and poured a cup of tea, while Roey went into the kitchen to find a drink.

Sarah appeared a few moments later and sat opposite me. I poured her a cup of tea as well. “Just heard on the radio, that the men are on their way back. There are some old staff quarters near the machinery shed, that you may not have seen yet. We have a mustering team of six men staying in them while the muster is on,” Sarah explained to me.

“So, what happens at meal times?” I asked her. “Most days they are up at 4.45, and in here at 5am for breakfast. We make packed lunches for them all, and they are gone by 5.45 at the latest. The rest of us have breakfast at 6.30, lunch at noon and dinner at 6pm, with the men coming for dinner at 6.45pm.

I suggest you have meals with us while they are here, so we can guarantee you are fed,” Sarah commented, as we heard the sound of a vehicle approaching. “How is James and his injuries?” I asked.

“He was back on the station after just two days in hospital, and back at work after another two days. He is one tough young man that one. He never complains. Not like old Joe one bit,” Sarah replied with a smile. I nodded my head in understanding just as we heard lots of vehicles arrive at the machinery shed with lots of doors slamming, followed by some swearing.

I started to smile broadly, knowing what was about to happen any time now. “What is the smile for?” Sarah asked. “Wait for it and you will see. Oh, and no need to rush off. It is harmless,” I replied with a bigger smile. “What did you do, Anton?” Sarah asked me.

“Me? I didn’t do anything, but someone else did,” I replied, and right on cue, there was a huge screech, followed by a lot of swearing and banging and more swearing. I stood up and walked to the side door and stepped outside. That is when I saw the boss heading towards the commotion.

“Oh, oh!” I commented, as I quickly made my way over to the staff quarters, with Sarah following. I saw the boss enter the building and then there was some more banging and swearing. “This is not good,” I commented, as we neared the quarters. The boss came out the front holding the dead snake, and I noticed that Sarah wasn’t behind me anymore. She had retreated further back.

“Was this you’re doing, Anton?” the boss bellowed at me. “Kind of, sir. It was my idea, but someone else’s doing. The snake was already dead,” I replied. “Well, go and apologise to Michael and James. They were both terrified of these things,” the boss said, as he carried it over to the incinerator and dropped it in.

“Yes, sir, and it wasn’t Sarah either. Just to let you know,” I replied, and the boss stopped. “Who?” he asked angrily. “Family,” was my only reply as I entered the building, where I found Michael and James seated looking white as ghosts.

“I’m sorry, guys. It was my idea, but someone else did it. I am really sorry,” I said to them both remorsefully. “You’re lucky you have just got out of hospital, or I would have sent you there with that prank,” Mathew said to me.

“And I would have kicked your butt all the way off the station,” James replied angrily. “I am truly sorry, guys,” I added before I left the building, feeling really upset, and at that point I had made a decision.

At my vehicle I packed up the awning and closed the side of the canvas, picked up Roey’s bowl, emptied its contents into a shrub, and put it in the cab, before I climbed in and drove the vehicle over to the homestead, where I heard a lot of shouting going on. I stopped at the front door, as I heard the shouting getting closer from inside, and I backed away, just as the door swung open.

“What do you want?” the boss snapped at me, and jumped back in shock. “I just came to let you know that I am leaving, and that I will be sending you a bank cheque for the money you loaned me while I was in hospital,” I said softly.

I spotted Roey coming down the passageway, and the boss looked back to look at what the noise was, but Roey scooted past him. I bent down to pick her up, as she leaped off the veranda. “The money is yours, you earned it. Was there anything else?” the boss asked, still sounding angry.

“Well, I was going to stay tonight and offer to take Ben up to Kununurra so he can catch his flight to Perth or where-ever he attends boarding school, to save Mrs Sanderson a trip,” I replied.

“Thank-you for the offer but not necessary. My wife has plans already in place for the trip. Good luck and goodbye,” the boss said and he stormed off towards the sheds. I walked around to the side door to the homestead, and cautiously looked in.

I saw Sarah sitting in the dining room. She looked shocked and afraid. “Hi,” I whispered, and Sarah jumped up and ran into my arms, and she started sobbing. “Shhh… what is it? What is wrong? It’s ok,” I said to Sarah.

“I’m frightened. I’ve seen him like this twice before, usually when he’s had a few drinks, but not like this when he has just got home. I don’t think I want to be here anymore,” Sarah said to me. “I came to let you know that I am leaving tonight. I don’t want to be here either,” I admitted to her.

“Take me and Oscar with you please? I really want to get away as soon as possible,” Sarah asked me in a whisper. “Ok, find Oscar, and take him to the cottage and get packed. I will be over there in twenty minutes. Will that be long enough?” I suggested.

“Yes, we don’t really have that much with us here in Australia. Just two suitcases each, and some books and toys,” Sarah said to me. She stepped back and wiped her eyes. “Go now. Quickly,” I said to Sarah and she turned and ran to the cottage.

I returned to my vehicle and moved it to outside the school room, halfway between the cottage and the homestead, just as it was starting to get dark. Telling Roey to stay, I climbed out and retrieved some dog biscuits and two bottles of cold water from the car fridge. I glanced in to see what else I had there. There was old bread, butter, cheese and some old milk that stunk.

I pulled out the milk and bread, and walked over to the school room where I found a rubbish bin and dumped it in there. In the other fridge there were some apples and oranges that still looked ok, so I left them in there. I walked back to the dining room of the homestead, hoping to not bump into the boss again, and Mrs Sanderson was setting the table for her family, when she spotted me.

“Do you know where Sarah is?” she asked me. I think she will be skipping dinner tonight. All of that ruckus shook her up a bit, so she is spending some time with her son. I came to let you know that I am leaving tonight. I have already told the boss, and he didn’t seem to care. Can you also say goodbye to Ben for me, and thank him for all that he did when I had that buggy accident,” I said and turned to leave.

“Wait please, Anton. You need to have something to eat. Let me make up some sandwiches for you. We have some roast beef, tomatoes and cheese. I will make up half a dozen for you,” Mrs Sanderson said to me. “Thank-you, ma’am. That would be appreciated,” I replied, as I followed her into the kitchen.

“Anton, in the pantry, there is a cake tin, with fresh cookies and muffins. Take the whole tin with you, so you have something for your long journey,” Mrs Sanderson said to me, and she continued making six sandwiches, which she cut in half, and wrapped in baking paper in groups of two, then handed them to me.

“Take care, and let me know when you have arrived home safely” Mrs Sanderson said to me. I gave a small smile and wave as I exited the homestead for the last time, and quickly made my way to the vehicle, placing the food into the fridge with the fruit, and the cake tin into the box, before climbing in and starting up the engine. I slowly drove over to the cottage without the lights on.

Grabbing Roey, I put her on the ground so she could go to the toilet, and I made my way over to the front door of the cottage. Sarah opened the door and handed me two large suitcases, which I carried to the vehicle and loaded into the back, before picking up Roey and placing her inside the vehicle. I headed back to the cottage where Sarah gave me two medium size suitcases. I saw that Sarah was holding a grocery bag, and Oscar had a backpack in hand. He followed me while Sarah quietly closed the door.

I loaded the last two suitcases into the back and opened the back door for Oscar, who climbed in. I closed the door. Sarah handed me a small bag, that I felt was cold goods, so I placed them in the fridge, and Sarah placed the grocery bag in the back-passenger area on the floor next to Oscars backpack, and asked her son to put his seatbelt on. Once we were all inside the vehicle, and strapped in, with Roey on Oscar’s lap, I started the engine, and turning around. I just drove straight down the drive, past the homestead at a medium speed, and continued onto the front gate, where I briefly stopped,

“Halls Creek or Kununurra?” I asked Sarah. “Whatever is the quickest way back to your place,” Sarah replied. “Well Halls Creek it is then,” I announced and I turned left and 5 minutes later turned right on the Duncan Highway heading west. “It is only a 185-kilometre journey, but it will take us at least seven hours, as the roads are fairly rough. We will stop along the way for food that I have in my car fridge,” I announced.

An hour later, as we approached the turnoff to the Marella Gorge, I slowed down and turned off, and parked a few kilometres down the road, before climbing out. I pulled the sandwiches that Mrs Sanderson had made out of the fridge. Sarah and Oscar climbed out, with Roey, who was put on the ground, so she could go to the toilet. I handed a wrap of sandwiches to each of them.

“We have some cookies and cakes, in a cake tin, in the box and some fruit in the fridge as well,” I said to Sarah and Oscar. “Will we be travelling all night, Uncle Anton?” Oscar asked me. “No, mate. We will stop in about two hours’ time. Do both of you have sleeping bags?” I asked.

“I have some blankets. Oscar has one though,” Sarah replied. “Ok, I will get you guys settled in the back tray. Roey and I will sleep in the swag beside the vehicle,” I replied.

Once we had all eaten, including some of the roast beef and biscuits for Roey, we set off once again, and just under two hours later, I stopped again when I spotted a side road. I went down the road for a couple of km’s and pulled off the road. We settled down for the night, and my mobile read nearly 10pm as Roey and I settled down for the night, knowing we had a bit over four more hours of driving ahead of us to Halls Creek, and three hours to Fitzroy Crossing.

At 5am the next morning I climbed out of bed. It was very chilly outside. I put my phone on video record as Roey went to a nearby shrub for the toilet. Suddenly I heard her growl, then she came rushing back quickly. It wasn’t clear why until a few moment later an echidna came out chasing after Roey. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, as she raced behind me, and I suddenly found the echidna heading towards me.

I quickly scooped up Roey, and opened the driver door and jumped in, raising my feet just in time. I kept an eye on the echidna as best as I could as it wandered around where it last saw my feet, before it scurried away back to the bushes. ‘Was that you making the vehicle bounce, Anton?” I heard Sarah ask me. “Yes, sorry, mate. Roey and I were just attacked by a mean echidna,” I replied, and Sarah laughed.

“Come on, Oscar. Time to wake up. We have to get moving,” I heard Sarah say to her son, and a few minutes later Sarah stepped down on the ground. Moments later I saw movement coming from the bushes again.

“Watch out, Sarah. Get back up quick,” I shouted. She did as I suggested and looked.

“Oh my gosh, you were not joking, were you?” Sarah said looking a little shocked, as she peered over the edge to watch the spiny little mammal. Once again it wandered around before heading back into the bushes, and I reached back and opened the back doors on both sides.

“Try and climb into the back doors without touching the ground. Then we can get going once I have retrieved my swag,” I said to Sarah and Oscar, who both looked down at the offended mammal, as they reached forward and carefully climbed inside, and slammed the doors shut. For the next twenty minutes I ran around the vehicle a number of times to try and tire and confuse the echidna, and each time I passed the swag I folded it up a little until it was folded enough to just pick up and throw into the back of the tray.

Once I had managed that, I jumped onto the tray and carefully secured the side canvas. Then climbing over the vehicle, and I returned to the driver’s seat. Seeing that it had been defeated, the echidna returned to the bushes, and I started the vehicle and set off again. “That is the craziest thing I have ever seen. I would have loved to have picked it up and examined it,” I said then I hit the brakes and jumped out of the vehicle.

Opening the back door, and looking around under the seat, I found what I had seen a few days earlier: a pair of heavy duty leather gloves. I put them on and closed the door again, just in time to see the echidna running towards me. This time I didn’t move and the echidna stopped right at my feet.

“Ok, little one, let’s check you over and see why you have such a bad temper,” I said as I bent down and picked it up. I rolled it onto its back, and I was a little surprised that it didn’t roll into a ball which is the usual defensive mechanism. I could see that its stomach had a large wound that looked infected.

“It’s ok, Sarah. The poor little fellow is injured. Can you come out and find a plastic bag to put the contents of the box into the bag? Then grab a few shirts from my suitcase and put them in the box, and bring me the box. Oscar can you find the first aid kit? We need to patch up this little fellow,” I announced. A few minutes later we had the echidna lying on his back in the box, and placed it on the back tray.

October 2017 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 34
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

  @quokka, you must have a bad conscience over Mathew since you used his name in the place of Michael. :P

 

The snake trick wasn't very nice or funny Even so, Mr Sanderson's sudden Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde routine wasn't called for either. I feel sorry for his family. Sarah should have told Mrs Sanderson she was leaving. It wasn't right to disappear without a word.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Normally I would have thought that he was over-reacting, but totally understand this time.  He could have told Mrs. Sanderson they were leaving, but given the state of mind of her husband it would be better for her to be able to say she didn't know they were leaving.  Her husband sounds very volatile.  Too bad, since the memories there about the people was positive.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I have to agree that the sudden change in temperament is strange even if the snake was a poor idea of a joke, Mr Sanderson's attitude just changed and it was like Dr Jekell and Mr Hyde. I think it would have been a good idea to have Sarah let Mrs Sanderson know that she was leaving. I hope that between Anton, Sarah and Oscar they can treat the little echidna and try to heal the infected wound on his stomach. I wanted to say that this is a great chapter and story. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

 

The snake trick wasn’t funny but it was Mrs Sanderson’s doing not Anton’s. But after the behaviour of Mr Sanderson, I don’t blame Anton in leaving. Sarah and Oscar have done the right thing in leaving, but they should contact Mrs Sanderson and let her know that they are safe.

Looking forward to more of this fantastic story.

Edited by chris191070
  • Like 2
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

  @quokka. ...It wasn't right to disappear without a word.

Typical  for these people. Running away is a common theme here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
17 minutes ago, Terry P said:

Normally I would have thought that he was over-reacting, but totally understand this time.  He could have told Mrs. Sanderson they were leaving, but given the state of mind of her husband it would be better for her to be able to say she didn't know they were leaving.  Her husband sounds very volatile.  Too bad, since the memories there about the people was positive.  

 

Even not telling Mrs Sanderson isn't likely to help. I'd say her leaving without saying anything would bump the anger level up even more. I doubt there will be a good outcome. Perhaps Mrs Sanderson will take the opportunity of taking Ben to boarding school to leave also.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

“What do you want?” the boss snapped at me, and jumped back in shock. “I just came to let you know that I am leaving, and that I will be sending you a bank cheque for the money you loaned me while I was in hospital,” I said softly.

 

Anton did let Mr Sanderson know he was leaving, he even offered him the money he lent him while in hospital.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

B)............................Frayed nerves much? Sure it was a prank, but talk about over reaction, just as well as Mr. Sanderson went berserk as Anton really needed to go back home. Sarah should have let Mrs. Sanderson know, but I gather she was used to her husbands tantrums by her rather non-reaction to Anton's leaving, that she wouldn't be surprised by Sarah's leaving. Great chapter!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..