Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,607 Words
  • 3,589 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beyond Frontier - 7. BF Chapter 7

“Anton, can we possibly go somewhere else? I just don’t feel safe in this little bay,” Mathew said to me in a pleading voice. I looked at Jasper who nodded his head.

“That’s fine, but do we recall all the crew first, or just let them know that we have moved and are moving again?” I asked.

“Well Toby and Alex are expected to return tonight, so how about we let them know that there is a change of location and arrange to collect them from the lighthouse beach an hour later than planned after dark,” Jasper suggested. I liked that idea.

“Good. You text Toby and Alex. I will text message the other four to let them know that we have moved, and to text or call us when they are ready to be collected,” I replied. Once the messages had been sent Jasper headed up to the Bridge while Finn and Mathew got to work to start preparations for dinner and I went outside to pull up the anchors so we could set off.

About 90 minutes later we arrived at the Murion Islands, just 30 kilometres north of Exmouth and half that distance from the NW Cape, where we anchored just 50 metres east of the island. We were able to relax a bit more knowing that we were well away from view of anyone, and hard to reach as well. When Toby called just as we were about to sit down for dinner, Simon volunteered to make the dinghy trip to collect them, which would be a twenty-minute journey each way.

Finn had prepared enough for Toby and Alex which he had put in the oven to keep warm for them while we continued to eat, finishing just as the dinghy returned with three slightly damp occupants. “A little choppy out there this evening. We may have to cruise in to collect the others if the seas pick up any more,” Simon said to us, as he joined us to eat his dinner, and we filled everyone in on what had happened earlier in the day.

Once everyone had eaten, and Finn and Alex had finished cleaning up, we decided to have a game of canasta to fill in some time. The game was interrupted when my phone chimed with a message.

“Mr Hamilton, did you see the email that I sent to you this morning, Director of Oceans Institute.”

I jumped up and headed up to the bridge where the laptop was currently stashed and quickly booted it up just as Simon and Jasper appeared. “That message was from the institute, asking if I had read the email that was sent this morning,” I explained, as I clicked on the new email.

“Dear Mr Hamilton, there has been a need to change the plans. This charter will be required for a total of 16 days, with departure and return from Exmouth. There will be still be myself and two staff, but there will now be a total of 14 research Post-grad students. Plus, we will be arriving a day earlier than planned. Please let me know as soon as possible if you done have enough accommodation”.

I pulled out my phone and dialled the required number. “Dr Carrington, this is Anton Hamilton here. Yes 3 staff and 14 students will just be fine. All the students will share cabins, and the three staff will have separate cabins. Due to some other issues, I have the crews of my other yacht with us, so we will be a full ship, with them taking up the emergency accommodation room, but it will have no effect on costs for you. We have checked, and your flight arrives at 1pm tomorrow. We will have taxi mini buses collect you from Learmouth Airport, to take you to where we will be moored. See you tomorrow afternoon,” I said to the Institute director, and ended the call.

Looking at the crew present, I frowned for a moment in thought. “Right, we need to get the rest of the crew back on board early tomorrow morning, as the guests are coming a day early, and there are now more of them than originally planned. Jasper, can you text both pairs of stewards. Tell them to be at the same place as we unloaded the supplies, by 0600 hours tomorrow. Finn and Alex, you both need to go and get whatever food and soft drink supplies that you need to feed 17 guests and 11 crew for 16 days, and no alcohol. You better start planning meals.

“Mathew dearest, can you supervise the stewards when they get back. They need to get all ten guest cabins spotlessly clean, and all beds made ready for their arrival. Finally, Jasper, Toby and Simon, let’s head up to the bridge, as we need to discuss a few things,” I announced. Soon, everyone was busy preparing for the next day. Once upstairs, we sat down at the long narrow table located down one side of the bridge.

“I have a feeling that this charter is no longer to do with the Ningaloo reef, as they have said it will be 14 days and it is a sensitive matter. I am thinking that it could be the Montebello Islands where we are heading, so we need to study the charts for those islands, so we don’t run aground on any reefs. I’m not absolutely sure, but I don’t think it will have anything to do with Barrow Island, as that is in the control of the Gas Production company. We also need to keep an eye on the long-term weather forecast for the region.

“Since we have three qualified skippers, and a first mate on board, what are your thoughts about a 6 hour shift each, since we are not sure what the demands will be for where we are going,” I suggested.

“Yes, I am agreeable to the 6 hour shifts. Let’s start it from 0800 tomorrow morning, and I volunteer the first shift,” Jasper replied.

“And I will do the second shift,” Toby added, which meant that Simon would have the shift at 2000 hrs, and I would have the last shift, starting at 0200 hrs.

The next morning at 0530 hrs I woke up to the sound of the engines starting, and leaving Mathew to sleep, I dressed and made my way to the bridge. From there I saw the aft deck lights were on, and that Simon and Toby were pulling up the anchors.

“Good morning, boss. Sorry to wake you,” Jasper said with a smile.

“Hello, Skipper. What’s the weather like for today?” I replied.

“Fine and mild with good seas,” he responded, as he reversed a little, before making a sharp about turn and heading out of the bay.

Twenty minutes later we arrived at the marina just as the first signs of daylight began to show to the east. A few minutes later we were secured at the wharf, and Jasper cut the engines. We headed downstairs where we found Alex preparing some breakfast for us. “Morning, skipper and boss. Tea is ready, toast in a couple minutes,” Alex said to us as we sat down.

“Have you and Finn worked out a schedule for working in the galley?” I asked Alex.

“Yes, boss. I get the morning shift, 0500 to 1300 hrs, and he gets the afternoon and evening shift, 1300 to 2100hrs,” Alex replied.

“Very good. I’m on the 0200 watch, so a nice cup of tea when you get up would be great,” I said with a big grin.

A few minutes after we had sat down, there was a knocking sound coming from the port window, by the seats. I went back and saw Kirk and Leon smiling through the window, so I headed to the aft deck to let them in. “Sorry about the locked door. We had a security incident yesterday morning, and they trashed your cabins. We tidied up as best as we could. Just let me know if there is any damage, or anything missing,” I said to them as they entered.

I returned to the dining area to get some breakfast, and a few minutes later the four stewards appeared, and reported nothing was missing or damaged, which I was pleased to hear. “Right, stewards, we have a slight change of plans. We now have a total of 17 guests that will be staying for a period of 16 days. All the guests are from the UWA Oceans Institute, three staff and 14 post-grad students, so I would like to have every guest cabin spotless, with three forward cabins for the three staff, and the remaining 7 cabins for the 14 students. From now on, when we are in port, all external doors, hatches and windows are to remain locked, for security reasons

“At the moment, I am not aware of our destination, but I have some guesses, but I will fill you in on that when the guests arrive at 1300 hours today. As you can see we have a very full complement of crew on board. Jasper will be chief skipper for this trip, with Simon, Anton and myself sharing the skippering duties on 6 hours shifts. We also have two chefs who are also on set shifts, and Mathew is our medic, who will be chief steward as well. Once breakfast is over, I would like everyone to get to work to get this vessel into top condition. That is all,” I announced to the stewards, and I headed upstairs to the bridge, where Jasper had just finished a call.

“Although those four reporters are still detained, there are other reporters trying to get up to Exmouth. Luckily it is all booked out for today, so I am sure they will try to get on the next flight, which arrives at 11am tomorrow,” Jasper said to me, as we saw Mathew entering, looking still half asleep.

“Good morning, sleepy head. We are back in port. We have all the crew back and busy at work, preparing for our guests,” I said to my boyfriend, who just smiled and headed back to our cabin.

“He never has been a very early morning person,” I commented to Jasper who gave a little laugh.

“While I am thinking of it, there is a parcel delivery for you which I brought with me from Fremantle,” Jasper said with a big smile.

When I spotted the large box in the corner, I opened it and found all of our new uniforms, neatly packed in the box.

“Excellent timing. We can get everyone into their new uniforms straight after lunch. How did your guests like the new uniforms, on your last charter?” I asked Jasper.

“They thought they were very smart looking,” Jasper replied with a wide grin.

“Let’s get them downstairs to the lounge, and sorted into sizes, so we know who gets what. You and your crew brought your uniforms with you I presume?” I asked, and Jasper nodded.

Once in the forward lounge we sorted the uniforms for the crew, without tie and waistcoat for deck duties, and with the tie and waistcoat for steward duties, while the senior crew would have the uniform with a tie but no waistcoat. By the end of the morning, we had everything ready for the guests, and we all sat down together for lunch.

“When we have all finished eating, you will find your new uniforms in the forward lounge. I want everyone in uniform ready for the guest’s arrival at 1300 hours,” I announced to everyone.

I had organised a little earlier, for a small 20 seat bus to collect the guests from the Learmouth Airport, and they would be brought directly to the vessel at the wharf, so we were expecting their arrival just before 1330 hours, and just before then I called for the crew to gather on the aft deck. When the bus arrived Jasper, Simon and I headed over to greet them,.

“Dr Carrington, it is good to see you again, sir,” I said as I shook his hand.

“This is Dr Paul Lane from the Institute and Dr Anna Rueben from the Department of Parks and Wildlife,” the director said making introductions.

“This is my senior skipper, Jasper Adamson, and chief engineer, Simon Adamson, who are cousins,” I responded.

“We have some special equipment with us for this trip. If we can get that brought on board, and into the research rooms, then we need to have a meeting to fill you in on some matters,” the director said to me. I lead the way onto the vessel, and I showed them the two research work rooms and offices. “This is perfect. A lot bigger than I expected. Now can we see the cabins please,” the director said to me as he and his two staff members took a look around. I lead the way forward to the main living area of the dining mess and galley, and upstairs to the mid-deck.

I explained to them, that they had a cabin each, while the students would share the remaining cabins. I showed them inside one of the cabins before showing the forward lounge. “This lounge and the dining area are the only living areas for guests and crew, and behind these cabins there is a crew accommodation area and a medical bay. There are also two crew cabins on the main deck leading off the galley area. Those along with the hull decks and bridge deck are off limits to all guests,” I informed the director and his staff, as we sat down in the lounge.

“Mr Hamilton, the reason for the secrecy is because we are about to do something that is going to piss off a high level American company that operates in Western Australia,” the Director said as he placed his briefcase on the coffee table and opened it, before handing me a document. The first thing I saw on it, was the state government logo, with Office of the Premier written under it. I scanned the letter, and was surprised at what it said.

“Under the Parks and Reserves Act 1895 (WA), Land Administration Act 1997 (WA), and the Land Administration (Land Management) Regulations 2006.

This is a letter of authorisation, for the UWA Oceans Institute, with the assistance of Hamilton Ocean Charters, to perform regular inspections, with strict environmental biosecurity practices, to ensure compliance with lease conditions, on Barrow Island, and its surrounding islands, including the Montebello Islands, to ensure that the gas production and refinement is not dramatically affecting the local native flora and fauna, and to monitor conditions in the region.”

The letter was signed by the Premier and the Environment Minister.

“Well this will definitely piss them off,” I said after I had finished reading the letter.

“Yes indeed. Their head office in Perth will receive an identical copy of this letter, about the same time that we arrive in the area late tomorrow,” the Director announced.

“One query about what is said in this letter: it says strict environmental biosecurity practices,” I stated.

“As a qualified environmental zoologist, I am sure you are fully aware what that means,” the director responded.

“Yes, sir, I do. I just wanted to be sure,” I replied.

“I was hoping that you would work with us on this matter, considering that it is right in your field of training,” the Director said to me.

I was a little surprised and smiled. “I would be honoured, sir” I replied.

October 2017 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 43
  • Love 5
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ahhh, the plot thickens! What will we find under 'environmental biosecurity,' I wonder. Are quokkas being wiped out? (not sure if they're endemic there or not), or will we find that some invasive animal has been released?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I am more than a little puzzled by the motivation of reporters to take the action they did in the previous chapter. There would be little to no information to be gained. They already knew what the ship was doing, who the ship belonged to, and undoubtedly who was employing them. Perhaps there was a leak about the secret, upcoming trip and they were trying to find something that would give more details.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

"Reporters" don't trash rooms like that.  If the old biker gang joined the striking truckers it could get very ugly.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
28 minutes ago, davewri said:

"Reporters" don't trash rooms like that.  If the old biker gang joined the striking truckers it could get very ugly.

 

 

They don't typically threaten anyone with bodily harm either, as they did with Mathew. Jasper has identified them as reporters, so they must have press credentials. They didn't do any real damage. I can only speculate they were looking for information. Maybe they were hired out by the company doing gas exploration. Time will tell.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Finally Anton gets to do what he studied for, it makes you wonder what is going to happen next. Can't wait for more. Thanks again for another great story

  • Like 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, drpaladin said:

 

They don't typically threaten anyone with bodily harm either, as they did with Mathew. Jasper has identified them as reporters, so they must have press credentials. They didn't do any real damage. I can only speculate they were looking for information. Maybe they were hired out by the company doing gas exploration. Time will tell.

 

B)....................That scenario fits best, that an American oil company hired some thugs. But that would mean that they either had prior knowledge that that Anton's boat was going to be used in examining the environment for a UAW report.  And at the moment, that information is secret, so the fall back is that the striking truck drivers are involved as trashing and threatening people is just the type of thing the union would do.

Edited by Benji
  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
6 hours ago, Benji said:

 

B)....................That scenario fits best, that an American oil company hired some thugs. But that would mean that they either had prior knowledge that that Anton's boat was going to be used in examining the environment for a UAW report.  And at the moment, that information is secret, so the fall back is that the striking truck drivers are involved as trashing and threatening people is just the type of thing the union would do.

 

A secret is only as safe as all the people who know it. Often there can be more people involved than you might imagine. Aides, typists, and even janitors can know them. By the door exiting his home study, mob boss Carlos Marcello had a framed quote from Benjamin Franklin, "Three can keep a secret if two are dead." From Franklin, it was wit. For Marcello to pluck and enshrine it, it becomes bone chilling.

 

Who knows how many had heard a rumor of this expedition? For one or more to pass it on for a favor or a buck isn't surprising.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..