Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,726 Words
  • 2,705 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beyond Frontier - 26. BF Chapter 26

After seeing all the activity, I headed into the centre of town to do some food shopping, as I was low on all supplies. I left Roey in the back area with a large container of water, while I was shopping. Back at the cottage I put away all the food and fed both of the animals before sitting down and relaxing.

After having some lunch, I returned to the property to see the progress of work, and I was pleased to see that all of the stone wall was progressing very well, and most of the dirt had been spread out over the property raising the ground level a good one metre above the road level. I was speaking with Patrick, the building manager, when the landscape gardener arrived with the new landscape design.

Before looking at the design I asked to see the invoice for the work that she had done so far. I gave her a cheque to cover those expenses and she gave me a receipt in return. Once I was satisfied that payment had been given and received, I opened up the landscape plan on the bonnet of my car. As I had feared, the landscape gardener had gone against my instructions by including a variety of grevillea and wattle shrubs to the list of plants in the design. I called Patrick over to get his views on the landscape design, and he looked over it carefully.

“Excuse me for saying this, but didn’t you specify no wattles or grevilleas in your plant choices?” Patrick stated to me and the landscape designer, and I smiled as I was pleased that he too had noticed the unwanted plant inclusions.

“Thank-you for that. Yes, I had specified that,” I said to Patrick, who walked off to deal with another matter. I turned to the landscape designer. “Just because you are the only professional landscaper in the region does not give you the authority to go against my wishes. I like the design that you have drawn up, but you have specifically included plants that I clearly stated to you that I did not want included. So, I am giving you the opportunity to correct that, and come back with a new list of plants, or we terminate our business immediately,” I said to the landscape designer.

“I have added the other plants, as I feel that it will highlight the design of the grounds, so I see no grounds to end it this way,” the landscape designer stated.

“Well, I am sorry that you feel that way, because as just stated by the building manager I did clearly state to you no grevilleas and wattles, yet you are going against my wishes as the client, so I have no choice but to terminate this business as from now,” I stated.

“Very well. If that is how you feel I will take my design and leave,” she said to me not happy about the situation.

“No you will not. I have paid for this design and have a receipt to prove it, so just leave my property and don’t bother to come back,” I replied, having already rolled up the design, and placed it out of reach of the landscaper, by securing it in my vehicle.

The landscaper stormed off not happy about losing business, but I knew I was right, and had the backing of the building manager. I just leaned against my vehicle and watched her drive off. Patrick walked back to my vehicle. “Well she didn’t take that very well, but it is her own fault. I am sorry that I recommended her, and I won’t be doing that again,” he said to me.

“That is fine, mate. I had this uneasy feeling that this may happen. That is why I paid for what she had done so far, and made sure that I had a receipt before I looked at the plans. Would you be able to get some of those motion sensitive night cameras installed around the place before I order and start planting, just in case she decides to sabotage the landscaping? I will have family and friends help me,” I responded.

“Yes, I actually have a few of them at home that I can install in a couple of days. I will order some more that will arrive early next week,” the building manager said.

“Good, thanks for that. Once all the ground work is completed I will order all the reticulation supplies that I need, and get that started next week. This is looking great, what you have managed so far. I will talk to you again soon,” I replied and headed off back to my cottage.

With both yachts out on charter, and Sarah and Oscar staying at the motel for a few days till the catamaran returned, there was not much I could do but just relax. Soon after arriving back at my cabin, I was surprised to hear a truck coming up the driveway, and on the tray back was the two-bedroom cabin. Leaving the animals indoors, I stepped out to talk to the driver. As the truck came to a stop another truck with another cabin on the back was entering the property, followed by a heavy-duty crane.

Although it was 7.5 metres above the main deck, I asked for a 1.5 metre steel high wall along the edge of the roof, to give the communications and navigation radar equipment protection from monster waves, and also asked for gaps at the bottom, to allow water to drain away.

In addition to all of this, I asked for waterproof heavy-duty cameras to be fitted under the main deck, between the two hulls, plus multi-beam echo sounders to be placed on the hull wall under the main deck to monitor what was under the vessel. What I was hoping with these changes was that with its uniqueness it would be in greater demand, especially in the fields of marine biology, oceanography and hydrology.

Over the next two hours I monitored the unloading of the two cabins and had them placed onto the concrete slabs on either side of my cabin. At the same time I was on my mobile trying to organise an electrician and a plumber to come to connect power, water and sewerage services to the two new cabins, which would be done first thing the next day.

Over the next two days I monitored the activities with the new cabins, plus the progress with construction at the new property, which I was pleased was going ahead at a good speed. In the late afternoon on Wednesday I received a call from the ship building company at Henderson. They informed me that the suggested changes to the research vessel would cost about half of what the vessel was currently worth, which I was not wanting to hear.

I thanked them for the assessment and quote, and I was about to inform them that I would arrange for crew to come and collect the vessel as soon as possible, when I was informed that a private research company was interested in buying the vessel off me. I was a little surprised by this news and enquired about what they would be offering for the purchase, but they did not have a price at that stage. I let them know that I would consider their proposal, and let them know in a few days’ time.

Back on the property, I saw that the work had been completed on the two transportable cabins and that they were ready for some furniture to be added. I pulled out my phone and dialled a number. “Hello, Sarah. Do you have any plans for tomorrow?” I asked when she answered.

“No, nothing that I can think of. Why is that?” she replied.

“How about you and Oscar joining me for a trip to Geraldton, for some furniture and goods shopping for your new cabin, and mine and the boys temporary cabin, till our new house is ready?” I said.

“Yes, we would love to come along. What time do you want to leave? Sarah replied happily.

“Is 7am too early for you?” I asked.

“No, we will be ready by the time you pick us up” Sarah said and ended the call.

The next morning I was up at 6am, and after having some breakfast and feeding the two animals, I took them up to the house where Anita had reluctantly agreed to look after them both, before heading into town to collect Sarah and Oscar. Then we headed north towards Geraldton arriving there just after 9am, when most of the stores were opening up.

I selected two comfortable single beds for my brothers and a double bed for myself, a good size fridge, washing machine and clothes dryer, plus comfortable double and single lounge chairs, a coffee table, large screen television, and all the kitchen goods and linen that I needed.

Sarah selected what she needed for her cabin, adding ready to hang curtains, some cushions and a large floor rug for the lounge and dining areas, plus a couple of large framed prints for the walls. Once we had made all the purchases, I arranged for the delivery of all of the larger items, while we packed all the smaller items into the back of the vehicle, and headed to a café for a late lunch.

Once we had eaten, we stopped off at a plant nursery, where I ordered a heap of plants. Then we went to a garden landscaping supply company to order some river stones, some heavy duty black plastic, and a number of water pumps, two fiberglass water ponds and some garden art, all to be delivered in four days’ time.

We arrived back at Jurien Bay just after 5pm and we carried all of our new purchases into the two new cabins. We left them on the kitchen bench until the rest of the furniture arrived in two or three days’ time. We headed into town and went to the new property, so Sarah could see where the new buildings would be. Oscar liked the large back yard area that had lots of giant and smaller boulders in it.

Once I had dropped Sarah and Oscar back at the yacht, I went looking for Simon, as he and Finn had flown back to Jurien the evening before after 4 days in Perth. I found him in the engine room grumbling and swearing at something. “Now, now, Si. It can’t be that bad,” I said to him as I entered the engine compartment.

“Just an oil leak that I can’t seem to track down,” Simon replied, as he turned to look at me. His overalls were covered in oil and muck. “Don’t you dare take any of that mess upstairs. I will go and get you a towel and a change of clothes,” I said as I headed upstairs and down to Simon’s cabin, returning with what was needed, to find Simon stripped down to his underwear. “Don’t let Finn see you, showing off your body to me. He might get jealous,” I commented, as Simon began to clean up, and chuckled at my comment.

“I came looking for you as I have something to discuss with you. Actually, hang on. Let me get Gramps on the phone too,” I said to Simon. I pulled out my phone and dialled Gramps mobile number and put it on loud speaker.

“Hello, Grandson. What’s happening?” Gramps said as he answered the call.

“I have Simon here, and you are on loud speaker so you can hear. When I received the call from Henderson, regarding the quote for changes to the research ship, I was a bit shocked at how much it would cost. It wasn’t going to be worth going ahead with it, so I was going to get the lads to go back down and bring it back, but the shipping company informed me that there is a private research company that is interested in buying the research ship. I was wanting you two’s advice,” I announced.

“I think it is too much of a gas guzzler, and you should sell it and stick to sailing yachts,” Simon said right away. There was a long silence before Gramps responded.

“I have to agree with Simon. Sell it,” Gramps said.

“Ok, that’s all I wanted to ask. Thank-you for that. I will let them know that I will sell. Talk to you later Gramps. Bye,” I responded, and I ended the call. Then I called the shipping company in Henderson to let them know what my decision was, and I was informed of the price offer.

A little shocked at the offer, I looked over to Simon who was listening in, and he smiled and nodded his head. I accepted the offer, and let them know some crew would be down in a day or two, to collect all of our personal belongings, and to do a thorough clean. After the second call, Simon and I headed upstairs to find Finn and the ladies, who were all in the galley.

“I have accepted an offer to sell the research ship. I want this crew to head to Henderson as soon as possible to collect all personal belongings owned by the company and crew members, and give it a good clean as it won’t be returning here,” I announced.

“If you don’t mind us not using the engines, we can set off almost right away. I can also pick up some parts while I am down that way. Are Sarah and Oscar coming too?” Simon stated.

“I doubt it, as the furniture for their new cabin arrives in two days’ time. I will put them in a motel while you are away,” I replied.

“I heard that, and, no. We will go too. We can help with the packing and cleaning up too,” Sarah said as she came down the stairs from the bridge deck.

“Ok, that is settled then. Have a good trip and see you when you get back,” I said with a smile, and I stepped of the catamaran and drove back to the property.

With Jasper still away, I headed up to the house to check on Anita and the boys. The house was unusually quiet. I opened the front door and stuck my head in. I saw Anita smile and wave for me to come in, but quietly, so I presumed that Micha was asleep. I sat down in the lounge where Anita was reading a novel, a crime novel of all things, which made me chuckle.

“Where are the other boys?” I whispered.

“Out the back veranda also reading” Anita replied with a smile.

“Wow, good job on that,” I commented.

“No, it was your intervention the other day that did it. I just threatened them that I would call you, if they misbehaved and woke up Micha while he was sleeping,” Anita said to me softly and I smiled, as I stood up and headed to the kitchen to make a cup of tea. Showing Anita a cup she nodded, so I made her a cup as well.

Just then the house phone rang and shortly after Micha began to cry making Anita look cross. “Can you answer that damn phone,” she said as she headed to Micha’s bedroom. “Hamilton res… I mean Adamson residence. This is Anton speaking,” I said as I answered the phone and I heard Jasper laugh on the other end.

“Hello, boss. How are things at home?” Jasper said to me. “Oh, you are in big trouble with your missus. You just woke up Micha with this call,” I replied. “Oops. When she is free, can I speak to her please?” Jasper responded.

“Ok, please hold,” I replied and I put the phone on the bench and walked to the bedroom, where Anita had just finished changing Micha’s clothes. “Your husband on the phone. I told him he is in trouble for waking up Micha,” I said to Anita, who picked up her son and handed him over to me and left the room. I lifted Micha up in the air and gave him a tummy raspberry, which made him laugh.

October 2017 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 33
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another great chapter. Glad to see that Anton was right about the landscape gardener, who I think will be back to cause trouble. Selling the research boat is the best thing for the business, will be interesting to see if he buy’s another boat or stay’s with two enabling Jasper to    be at home more, because of crew rotation.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Interesting turn of events. I didn't think that Anton would sell the research ship just shows how many curve balls are ahead . I thoroughly enjoy the Story.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Good idea to sell that research boat.  Lot's of expense that would need constant full  time charters just to break even.

 

Landscape lady is looking for trouble if she causes damage to Anton's property.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

The landscaper seems to be more inclined toward the temperament of an artist than a businessperson. You don't go against the wishes of your client.

 

Anton sent the research ship down to have it evaluated for all the changes he had in mind without consulting anyone about his ideas. He originally ordered it without asking anyone for input.  I'm surprised he consulted Simon and his grandfather about selling the research ship now. It always seemed like an indulgent purchase to me with limited commercial possibilities.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drpaladin said:

The landscaper seems to be more inclined toward the temperament of an artist than a businessperson. You don't go against the wishes of your client.

 

Anton sent the research ship down to have it evaluated for all the changes he had in mind without consulting anyone about his ideas. He originally ordered it without asking anyone for input.  I'm surprised he consulted Simon and his grandfather about selling the research ship now. It always seemed like an indulgent purchase to me with limited commercial possibilities.

Now he is having a large compound constructed like his money grows on trees.  He could easily take off on another whim and live somewhere else.

 

Quoka has a strange writing style, which is why I keep reading his stories.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

B).....................Anton certainly keeps getting pretty good deals and now that the novelty of the research ship is gone, selling it is a good idea. I guess Anton's premonition about the landscape contractor prompted him to install motion detector camera's anticipating sabotage. Great chapter!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'm glad that Quokka has the writing style he has. I'm glad that Anton fired the landscaper since she decided that she new what Anton wanted even though Anton had told her that he's going to terminate their business because she put plants in the design that he had said he didn't want in there. After Anton terminated the landscaper he went the next day to order the materials he needed for his landscaping. While in Geraldton he and Sarah ordered the furniture they would need for their new homes. This was another great chapter. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..