Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,625 Words
  • 4,411 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beyond Frontier - 1. BF Chapter 1

5 years later - Graduation Day University of Western Australia

“Congratulations, Anton. We are all very proud of you,” Gramps said to me, as I met up with all my family and friends, once the ceremony was completed, and I shook everyone’s hands. Anita, who is now a sergeant, and husband Jasper were present along with Nathan and their 4-year-old son Micah, Gramps and my two brothers, plus Isaac and Simon and Finn (his boyfriend), Toby and Alex (his boyfriend), plus Mathew (my college mate and now boyfriend), and finally Kirk and Leon.

A lot had happened over the past five and a half years. Jasper had asked me to buy back the catamaran, which I was happy to do for him. I gave Simon the skipper position to the catamaran, and Jasper took over as skipper of the trimaran, with Kirk, Leon, Toby and Alex as main crew. With my assistance Toby gained his 1st mate ticket, Alex and Finn both gained certificate 4 in commercial cooking and Finn a diploma in hospitality, and Mathew did a bachelor of science in paramedical science. I also helped Simon to get a degree in mechanical engineering, having graduated a year earlier, which he was pleased to be able to put to use with the new vessel in the fleet, Beyond Frontier.

This research vessel could accommodate 8 crew and 20 scientists, and was fully kitted out with oceanography, marine biology, meteorology and marine ecology equipment, which included a remote controlled deep-sea mini submarine. I offered the use of the vessel to the Marine Science department of the university for the period of my studies at the university, and averaged 4 open ocean excursions, each year for four years, since acquiring the vessel near the end of my first year of studies.

With me as skipper, Simon as my engineer, Finn as the ship’s chef, and Mathew as a paramedic and hospitality steward to help Finn, we occupied the two senior crew cabins on the bridge deck when we were out on 5-day ocean excursions with the university. The students and two lecturers had to clean up after themselves, and Simon took over the role of skipper, since I too was one of the students. Although I knew I was reasonably good with studies, it wasn’t until I was half way through my first year that I realised that I could easily take on a bigger work load. As well as the bachelor of science degree in marine science, I also enrolled into a bachelor degree in zoology.

After my third year at university, and with one more year to complete both courses, I decided to spend another year of studies to gain a master’s in environmental science, and that was what my last graduation ceremony was for. As a member of the UWA Oceans Institute, I was asked if my vessel could be used for a three-week marine expedition around Rottnest Island during the Summer holidays, leading up to my last year of studies. This I was happy to do, and I donated the use of the vessel and its operating costs, so the institute only had to pay for food and drinks for the three staff and 18 students.

During that expedition I was able to relax a lot, as I was not part of the Oceans Institute expedition team, so I concentrated on skippering the vessel. Simon enjoyed spending time down in the hulls, watching the engines and generators, plus helping in the galley when needed. I had made one of the mid-deck multi-use rooms into a medical room for Mathew to have a place to deal with minor injuries or upset stomach’s, and he was thrilled to have his own special work area. The other multi-use room, had 4 high-up fold-down benches, that could also be used as beds, plus two small store rooms, so it was used as a work office, extra accommodation, or as a hospital.

Beyond Frontier had a semi-permanent berth at the Success Boat Harbour in South Fremantle, and for the day of graduation it was also where the two yachts were moored. It was the first time all three boats were together, as Simon and Jasper had sailed both yachts down for this special occasion. Simon sailed the family back to Jurien Bay the day after graduation, while Jasper and crew remained in Fremantle for another day, as they had a charter.

As a celebration we drove to my apartment where I had arranged a catering company to put together a celebration meal. It was a wonderful family time together. The company website now had the two yachts and the research vessel on the website as being available for charter, although the Frontier was now only occasionally used for charters. I was looking forward to a rewarding career in marine science where I felt I would be a lot happier than when I was doing yacht charters.

With Jasper and family still living in my home in Jurien Bay, since Anita was still stationed there, it was decided that the trimaran should remain based there, offering charter from Fremantle to Exmouth including the Abrolhos Islands. They were kept busy with regular charters. Meanwhile we had decided that the catamaran should remain based at Fremantle, to do short charters from Fremantle to Busselton, and around Rottnest Island, with Simon and Finn living on board. They loved it as it was like a floating hotel all for themselves.

This would also keep Simon and Finn close by, so that they would be available when they were needed as crew for the research vessel. I had arranged for the lease of a berth next door to the research vessel, so they could remain close together for security purposes.

Realising that I really needed two more crew to have the research vessel operating smoothly, I put the idea out to my family and friends during the party for suggestions, but no one came up with any right away. When the party came to an end, Jasper and Family returned to the trimaran for the night, while Isaac, Gramps and the boys stayed on the catamaran.

The following morning, with Anita and her two boys aboard the catamaran, they set sail for Jurien Bay as Anita had to work the following day, while Jasper and his crew made preparations for the arrival of their guests for their 3-day charter to Busselton and back, via Rottnest Island, followed by a 5-day charter to the Abrolhos Islands and back via Rottnest Island, with one day free in between each charter. It was during breakfast that Mathew made a suggestion.

“Why not see if some of your former class mates at university would want to take a job as a crew member on the research vessel?”

“That is a good idea, but I don’t have contact details for any of them,” I responded.

“What about at the Ocean Institute? You could post a message up there and see if anyone is interested?” Mathew suggested.

“Now that is a brilliant idea. Let’s take a drive up there straight after breakfast,” I commented with a big smile and a quick kiss as we continued to eat. Although we had a great vessel available, there was not exactly a huge demand for its specialty use, and that was worrying me a little. As we drove up the northern suburbs coast I thought about other ways we could use the vessel.

“What are you thinking? You have been very quiet for the past fifteen minutes,” Mathew asked me, and I gave him a smile, as I continued to drive.

“Oh, just thinking of other ways to use the research vessel to get better use out of it,” I responded.

“Ah, I see. Well, I will put my thinking cap on too, and see if we can come up with something,” Mathew replied.

We arrived at the Ocean Institute shortly after, and made our way to the administration area, where I presented my membership / access card, and asked if I could speak to the IOMRC director. Once in the Directors office, which I hadn’t seen before, I waited for Director Carrington to finish what he was writing, before I spoke.

“Mr Hamilton, isn’t it?” he said with a smile.

“That is correct, Sir. This is my life partner, Mathew Banning,” I responded.

“Do you still skipper that research vessel – Beyond Frontier, I think it was called?” the Director asked me.

“Yes, Sir, I do. Mathew is the ship’s medic. He is a qualified paramedic,” I replied.

“Good. We are finalising some funding and I was hoping to use your vessel for a research expedition up the coast to do some monitoring of the Ningaloo Reef. Can you give me some details about your vessel, its guest capacity, equipment on board, and facilities that you have, and finally costs?” the director asked me.

“Well, Sir, we have room for twenty guests in ten small twin bunk cabins. Each cabin has its own bathroom. There is a galley and dining mess with seating for 26. There is also inside main deck seating for 18. We currently have four crew and are looking for two more, which is why we are here. We have two research offices, two large research work rooms, with a variety of research equipment, a medical room, guest recreation lounge, a deep-sea remote control mini sub, two shark proof cages, scuba gear for twelve people, and a tank refill facility.

“The main deck outside is 12 metres wide by 32 metres long, of which one third is under cover, with side access doors, and a below deck hatch between the pontoon hulls, and there is a heavy duty lifting crane. We charge a basic $220 per cabin, per day, that includes food and non-alcoholic drinks.

I will donate my crew’s time and use of all the facilities and equipment, and there is a charge of $360 per day to cover vessel costs of diesel fuel. We are planning to install a small wind turbine and solar panels to reduce the environmental impact, for keeping the power generators operational, which we find very efficient on our other two yachts,” I replied.

“Right, I have that all written down. I’ve also had positive feedback from other staff who have been on your vessel, when you have offered its use while you were a uni student. Do you have a business card so I can contact you when everything is finalised?” the director said to me. Mathew smiled as he handed over a card which he retrieved from his wallet.

“Now, Sir, may I ask if it is permissible to leave a notice on the main board, to see if anyone is interested in a part time job as crew of the research vessel please?” I asked the director.

“Yes, I see no problem with that. Do you have it with you and I can sign it at the bottom?” the director said. Mathew pulled out the A4 size notice from his jacket and handed it over.

“Crew wanted for a 57-metre catamaran research vessel based at Fremantle. Shared twin cabin accommodation. Meals and non-alcoholic drinks included while on charter. $90 per day after tax. Must be non-smoker. Discrimination of any kind not tolerated. Scuba and first aid qualifications, plus deckhand experience preferred. Contact Skipper of the RV Beyond Frontier”.

“What if we did scuba diving charters, around Rottnest and Carnac Islands? There are plenty of reefs around those areas, and it is not far out from Fremantle,” Mathew suggested as we drove back down the coast.

“We could do that on the catamaran too, and there would be cheaper operational costs on the yacht, but if we were able to get a freight contract with the Rottnest Island Board, that might be worth it. We can easily fit two 10 metre freight containers onto the aft deck,” I replied, and from the corner of my eye I saw Mathew smiling and nodding his head in agreement.

Once back in Fremantle we went to the jetty where the trimaran and research vessel were moored. Jasper and the crew were busy preparing for the guests. “Hey, Boss, how are you this morning?” Jasper said as soon as he saw us arrive.

“Good, mate. What time do your guests arrive?” I asked Simon, as I saw the 4 lads appear all in their uniforms.

“Any moment now, Boss,” Jasper replied.

“That’s good to know. While you are on the charter, think about changing the uniform. I think we need to have a snappier uniform. We will have a meeting when you get back, and by then I will have some design options.

“I would also like to have some new photos taken of both yachts and the research vessel, with all the crew in uniform,” I said to all the crew who were now gathered to listen.

“That’s fine by me,” Jasper said to me.

“And us too,” Toby announced.

“Us too, Boss,” Kirk and Leon chorused.

“Good. Have a good trip and I will see you all in a few days,” I said and Mathew and I stepped off the boat.

“Oh, by the way, I have added new information to the terms and conditions for charters, being a little more detailed in regards to discrimination. Any breach, will result in a verbal warning, followed by termination of the charter, and dropping off at the nearest marina or port, for a second breach,” Jasper said to me.

‘Sounds good, Skipper, considering that you have two couples on your crew,” I replied happily.

“I just have this nasty feeling that we will have a repeat of the Cocos to Christmas Islands situation. These guests are American and also Texan, like the previous troublesome guests, so I wanted to be prepared,” Jasper said to me. I waved goodbye and followed Mathew down the jetty, when I saw some guests approaching.

“Get away, you little fag,” I heard one of the men say, giving Mathew a shove. He lost balance and went flying into the shallow water.

“Excuse me! That was not called for,” I said in a very annoyed manner, thinking of what Jasper had just said. I looked over the edge to see if my boyfriend was ok. When he saw me, he gave the thumbs up, to say he was ok, and I turned to the guests. “What gives you the right to assault someone you have never met before?” I asked the man who shoved Mathew off the jetty, and when I saw Jasper approaching, I signalled him to stop.

“What is it to you? Are you a fag too?” the man growled at me.

“That, Sir, is none of your business. May I ask if you are the guests for the Last Frontier?” I asked him.

“Now that is none of your business, so step aside unless you want to end up in the water as well,” the man demanded.

“How do you know that what I asked is none of my business? I could be the skipper of the vessel, considering that I know the name of the yacht that you are heading too, but, no, I am not the skipper. The gentleman 20 metres behind me is the skipper,” I replied, as I signalled Jasper to approach.

“My name is Jasper Adamson, skipper of the Last Frontier trimaran yacht. May I remind you that when you accepted this charter you agreed to the terms and conditions of the charter,” Jasper said to the gentleman in front of me.

“That we did, but we have not boarded the yacht yet,” the man said with a smug smile.

Big thanks to my Editor, for all his hard work
October 2017 Preston Wigglesworth All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 45
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great first chapter Quokka. Looking forward to more adventures of Anton and his family, friends and crew. We now know everybody’s sexuality and there partners name like you promised

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great first chapter Quokka. Looking forward to more adventures of Anton and his family, friends and crew. We now know everybody’s sexuality and there partners name like you promised

Link to comment

B)............. Haha, I see the complaints paid off, now we have 3 gay couples intertwined in the story! :P  Since 5 years have gone past, I'd guess the danger from the cartel is over. The fitted science lab should have garnered a lot more attention from the academia of the Science community, I'd think even being sought out from universities around the world for charters. That said, I'm sure they will make use of it somehow. Well we got right into the problems associated with charters not knowing about the unruly and sometimes bigots passengers, its up to Jasper, but he should follow Anton's instincts or allow the 'guests' a pass since they are not on board yet?  Great chapter!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Quokka you never cease to amaze me. Anton's squeeze, Mathew's last name, Banning,  sounds a lot like Mitch Benning in Firestorm. Keep up the great work, I am sitting here biting my fingernails waiting for the following chapters.

John D

Sydney

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I have to say that I'm slightly offended. I'm an American and a Texan. I have been both since birth. Did you know that behind San Francisco, Dallas is the the number 2 gay friendliest city in America? That's twice you've made your most homophobic characters Texan. You are promoting a false stereotype. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great start to the new story. Finally action is happening with the couples. Drama again with texans yet again.  Homophobia never ends it seems. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
30 minutes ago, JayT said:

I have to say that I'm slightly offended. I'm an American and a Texan. I have been both since birth. Did you know that behind San Francisco, Dallas is the the number 2 gay friendliest city in America? That's twice you've made your most homophobic characters Texan. You are promoting a false stereotype. 

 

I'm not from Texas, but I have a cousin who lives near Dallas. I too have a problem with stereotypes such as this one and making presumptions before even meeting people.

 

I had a feeling Anton would end up with Mathew. I think we'll have to credit Mathew for it ending up this way. Despite his seeming reclusive nature, he attached himself to Anton fairly rapidly. Simon pairing with Finn was a surprise.

 

This charter is over before it began. The guest committed assault on Mathew before he got on-board. He needs to go to jail. Cancelling the charter isn't enough, although keeping the deposit would be a good hit.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Another current resident of Texas raising their hand here. Although I happen to live in a conservative community, there are plenty of non-bigots if you know where to look.

 

Other than the overly stereotypical characterizations, the chapter was packed with a lot of welcome information.  Hurry up with the next chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I am sorry to those who are Texan, I have not been to the USA, so I am not aware what that Gay friendly cities are there, maybe I should have done some more research on this.

I just chose Texas because of the mostly Ranch country, which I felt may be a non gay friendly place.

Once again I am sorry.

 

Quokka

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..