Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,720 Words
  • 3,133 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Indian Ocean Invasion - 8. IOI Chapter 8

The Captain called Colonel Bridges on the mainland, to report on what they had learnt, and to discuss options of trying to get rid of the invasion force. When the call ended, I was informed that a second troop would be sent to assist with gathering more information on the size of the invasion force, what their movements are, their capabilities, and what weapons they have.

“So, what is happening, what has Colonel Bridges decided as a plan of action?” I asked the Captain, “Well, as you heard, we are having a second patrol of 6 men, arriving the day after tomorrow, with a lot more supplies for a longer stay if we have too. They already have an Australian Submarine and a Frigate located at the Cocos Keeling Islands, the second patrol will parachute down to that island tonight, where they will prepare to arrive on this island tomorrow night, soon after dark.

Like us, they will be transported here by submarine, and a Rib boat will take them to the same place we landed, then make their way here to the treehouse. They will bring extra hammocks for themselves, plus a lot more food for all of us, the Captain said to me. “Sounds like we are about to go to war with these invaders” I commented, “Oh no, they have already done that, by taking control of this island, and making the residents prisoners, the Captain replied.

For the rest of the day, Mitchell and I kept to ourselves, while the SAS soldiers whispered plans on what to do, interrupted only by a passing helicopter patrol above, or a foot patrol on the walkway nearby. I decided that I was on holidays, so I was going to stay out of anything that they were planning to do.

After dark, the SAS soldiers disappeared into the night once more, telling me that they would be back before the next patrol of SAS soldiers arrive, and with that, Mitchell and I enjoyed having the treehouse just to ourselves once more, which I was happy about, and I slept very well that night, apart from the interruptions from the helicopter patrolling the island.

When I woke the next morning, I was shocked to find the patrol had returned, and they were all sleeping, so I quietly headed back to the bedroom, and read one of the novels for an extra hour till Mitchell work up, and I informed him that the soldiers had returned sometime during the night and are all sleeping.

When the Captain did awake in the late morning, while Mitchell and I were playing a game of cards, he informed us that there had been a change of plans, and that the whole troop, consisting of three more patrols, would be arriving overnight, that being 25 men in total, including the Captain, but only one patrol will be coming to the treehouse to drop off the supplies, before moving on.

I was told that the other three patrols, would not be based at the treehouse, but would be continuing patrolling the island to gather information on the invasion forces. For the rest of the day, I thought about the increase of Australian soldiers sneaking onto the island, and the blood bath that it may cause, so before dinner, when Mitchell and I retreated to the store room, to get away from the soldiers for a while, I had made a decision.

“Mitchell, do you think you are up to doing some overnight hiking through the National Park, as I think it is about time that we leave hear for the safety of the Cocos Keeling Islands and the mainland” I said to my nephew. “Yes, anything to get away from this, I don’t like it here anymore” Mitchell replied.

With that decided I went out to find the Captain. “I want you to contact the submarine that is dropping off the other soldiers, and tell them to stay in the area, as Mitchell and I are leaving, after dark we will hike south to Douglas Point where the sub can pick us up and take us to the Cocos Keeling Islands” I informed the Captain.

“Yes, I think that will be a good idea, do you want two of my men for an escort?” the Captain replied, “No we will be fine on our own thanks, we will start packing now, and have and early dinner, and set off straight after dark” I said to the Captain, who gave me the contact number for the submarine, before he himself called the Sub, to inform them of the news.

Mitchell was very happy with the news that we were leaving, as we quickly packed up our bags, leaving behind the books and magazines, and had a large early dinner, and cleaned up the kitchen.

“Captain, you will need to uncover the solar panels for a few hours every two or three days, to maintain battery power, and remember to pack away every loose item into the store room, if there is a storm, and when you decide to leave. Good luck” I said, before Mitchell and I climbed down the ladder for the last time.

It was a hard slog tramping through the forest as quiet as possible, every time we heard a voice or a helicopter, we stopped and got down low to the ground. With a half moon and a clear night, we were able to navigate through the bush easily, but we had to stop for five minutes, every half an hour, to allow Mitchell to catch his breath and we stopped for half an hour, every two hours, so we could both rest.

Shortly before 2am, we finally arrived on the south coast of the island, and we were very tired and pleased to have finally completed the trek undetected by the enemy. While Mitchell rested, I pulled out the Sat Phone and dialled the number, that the Captain had given me.

“Mother Goose, the chicks have arrived home to be picked up” I said when the call was answered, “Roger that, we will be fifteen minutes till collection, over and out” came the reply, and the call was ended. I sat down next to my nephew and gave him a couple of energy bars to chew on while we waited.

I was caught unaware, when suddenly three armed men appeared in front of us, “Lt Commander, your ferry awaits” one of the men said softly, and we quickly gathered our luggage and followed the men down to the rocky shore to the awaiting Rib boat, where we paddled out to sea for about fifteen minutes, until a huge black object appeared out of nowhere, which I knew to be the Australian submarine.

“I forgot to ask before, you are no afraid of small cramped spaces, are you?” I asked my nephew, “Not that I am aware of uncle, will we be going very deep in that thing?” Mitchell replied, “No I don’t think so, just a little below periscope depth, that is that thing at the top of the coning tower up there”, I said in reply, pointing to the top of the submarine, as we approached it.

“The six-hour journey westwards to the Cocos Keeling Islands, was uneventful for both Mitchell and I, as we were allocated bunks and slept for most of the journey. While we ate breakfast is the small crew mess, an alarm went off, that made both Mitchell and I jump in fright. “All hands prepare for surface at our destination” we heard over the PA system, and the crewman put in charge of our care appeared.

“That was the captain, and we have arrived at the Cocos Keeling Islands, so if you guys, would like to finish your breakfast, we will get you up on deck and onto shore” the crewman with the rank of Able Seaman said and I gave him an annoyed look.

“Have I said anything to upset you sir?” the crewman said to me when he saw my expression, “Yes Able Seaman you have, but if your captain has not informed you, then you are not at fault, I have the rank of Lt Commander, so it would be good if you address me accordingly” I replied.

The shocked look on the seaman’s face, told me that he did not know my rank, so I smiled. “I am terribly sorry sir, I was not told” the seaman said, “That is fine Able seaman, you are not to blame, I will speak to your 1st officer about it, when we depart” I replied, as my nephew and I stood, and headed to our bunks to collect out luggage.

I had been on a submarine twice before on short visits, so I knew the layout of the submarine, but Mitchell was very disorientated, and I had to lead the way back to our bunks, and then onto the forward entry hatch one level up, as the crew mess and main crew accommodation are on the central level of three levels onboard the submarine.

It was good to step out onto the deck of the submarine, after being underwater for six hours, which was the least number of hours on a submarine so far, and I took in a deep breath of fresh tropical air, and I looked around to see an Australian Frigate anchored nearby.

“Lt Commander, your presence is requested by Commodore Holland, onboard the Frigate” the Lieutenant and 1st Officer of the submarine said to me, as he appeared from the hatch soon after us. “Very well Lieutenant” I replied, as I spotted a craft fast approaching from the frigate, to collect us.

Less than ten minutes later, Mitchell and I arrived on the main deck of the Australian Frigate, with senior officers and some crew gathered in dress uniforms, which had me wondering what this was all about, as I stepped forward to meet the Commodore, Captain and other crew that were on parade.

“Sir, Lt Commander Lewis Shaw, reporting as ordered sir” I said, as I snapped to attention in front of the senior officers. “Lt Commander Shaw, by order of the Admiral TB Jacobson, Commander of the Fleet. For your conspicuous gallantry during service in the presence of the enemy, pulling fellow servicemen out of danger, while injured after your vehicle hit an IED, I hear by award you the Victoria Cross” the Commodore announced, as he pinned the award to my chest, and all those gathered clapped and cheered.

“Furthermore, for service to your country, at the time of conflict, to assist with dealing with a current situation in neighbouring Christmas Island, even when you are still recovering from previous injuries, I hear by award you the Distinguished Service Cross” the Commodore added, as he pinned the second award to my chest, and once again there was clapping and cheers, including from Mitchell, who was recording everything on his I Pod.

“Sir, I was just doing my duty, but I thank you and those in command for these awards” I said quietly, so only a few could hear me. “Well your duty has been recognised and the awards are well deserved. I also have a letter from our Commander of the Navy, offering you any land-based assignment you wish, or the option to be medically discharged from the Australian Navy with a half Disability pension” the Commodore stated.

“Sir, I guess that means, I am no longer able to return to duties with the Diving Clearance Team, what about the previous job before that?” I asked, “If you mean the ASIS, yes you can return to duties there if you wish” the Commodore replied.

“Sir, if possible, I would like to take 3 months holiday leave, to think about my options, and by then I will be physically fit, and ready to decide, right now I would just like to have a holiday with no complications” I responded. “Very well, you have it, I will make sure that it is all sorted with command” the Commodore replied.

After this surprise award ceremony, Mitchell and I were ferried to the main jetty on the island, and a taxi took us to the tourism centre, to organise some accommodation. Good Morning sir, are you Lt Commander Shaw?” the lady asked me as we walked into the centre. “Yes, that is me, and this is my nephew – Mitchell” I replied, a little surprised that I was expected.

“The Navy has arranged accommodation for you both, it is at the Cocos Beach Motel, just down the road from here, a two-bedroom suite, all expenses including lunch and dinner have been included, I will give them a call to let them know you are on your way” the lady at the reception said to me, and I thanked her, as we left the building and followed the Island map we were given, to get to the motel, which was just a five minute walk away.

Once we had checked into the motel and settled in, I suggested to Mitchell that he gives his father a call, and that I would speak to him after he has finished. I relaxed in my room while Mitchell was speaking to his father, on his mobile, telling Jeremy about the award ceremony that had taken place this morning, onboard the Australian Navy Frigate, and that we were now staying in a motel on West Island.

When Mitchell hand the mobile over to me, I felt a little uneasy, not sure what Jeremy would say. “Hello Bro, thank you for getting my son of Christmas Island, I feel a lot happier, now that he is in a safe place, what are your plans now?” Jeremy said to me.

“Well I am still in a bit of a daze, after what happened this morning, it caught me completely by surprise, I guess I will spend some time here, as I have three months to decide if I want to stay in the Navy or to be medically discharged due to my injuries” I replied.

“Fair enough bro, can you organise for Mitchell to be on the next flight back to Perth, on Saturday, if there are any spare seats available” Mitchell asked me, “Yes, I will get right onto it for you, will you meet him in Perth?” I replied, “No, I will arrange for him to catch a flight back home straight away, as soon as I know he is in the next flight back to Perth” Jeremy replied.

“Ok, well I will let you know shortly. Bye” I replied and ended the call, before calling the reception and asked to be put through to the tourist centre. Ten minutes later, I had Mitchell booked on the Saturday flight to Perth, and I called Jeremy back to give him the information of the flight, for three days’ time, and asked him to not mention the awards he received to anyone, as it is not for public knowledge because of my work in the Navy.

“Sorry bro, but I have already texted Margaret and Kylie, to tell them about it, no doubt, now that you have good mobile coverage, you will hear from them soon” Jeremy said to me, “Well my phone has been turned off since this invasion all began, so no doubt there are a few messages waiting for me, I will turn it on soon. Bye for now, talk to you soon” I said and ended the call.

When I found my phone at the bottom of my luggage, I turned it on, and straight away there were lots of messages waiting for me. A lot of them from both Kylie and Margaret, concerned for my safety, regarding me being on Christmas Island, and the last two messages were from just fifteen minutes ago.

“I’ve heard from Jeremy, that you are safe and on Cocos Island, congratulations on your awards Bro, well deserved, love Marg”, “Just got a text from Jem, to say you and Mitch are on Cocos Island, and that you received some awards, well done, Love Kylie”. I was glad to have received those two messages, as I put the phone in my pocket and went to relax in the lounge.

Copyright August 2018, Preston Wigglesworth, All rights are reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 12
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter. When Mitchell leaves I wonder if he is going to be recalled into the action to kick some butt.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I know there is a pecking order in the military, and from a family experience I know they take it quite seriously. I was disappointed that Lewis was a total dick to the able seaman. He was on the submarine as a civilian, or so I thought. Maybe being on medical leave doesn't turn you into a civilian. It seems like Lewis uses his rank some of the time and other times not. In spite of this comment I am really enjoying this story! Now that Lewis is out of the fray, I can't wait to see how you get him back in it. Thanks.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

However, the seaman would have been informed that the passengers consisted of a Lt. Commander and a civilian and should have followed correct military procedure.

Interesting side note on military protocol: My father was an officer in the USAF and frequently my mother and I would drive onto the base to pick him up after doing some shopping at the base exchange. When we drove in the guard at the entrance always saluted and my mother would smile and nod back. When I asked my father why the guard would salute a woman (this was before there were any women officers in the service) dad explained that the guard was saluting the official sticker on the windshield, not my mother. She was just being gracious in smiling and nodding back. He was acknowledging our right to enter the base. Later, after I got my driver's license, I would smile and nod as well. Not that I was posing as an officer, but just returning a courtesy just as my mother had. When I asked dad why he did not return the guard's salute he said that the driver of a car is supposed to keep both hands on the wheel at all times for safety's sake.

Edited by Will Hawkins
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

we leave hear -- here

 till collection, over and out -- the proper procedure never calls for "over and out", Whoever initiated the radio call just says "out" and the ends the transmission. "Over and out" is very Hollywood.

  • Like 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..