Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,677 Words
  • 2,761 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Indian Ocean Invasion - 33. IOI Chapter 33

“So, where exactly are you?” I asked suspiciously, and Sebastian laughed, “you know me too well, my friend, we left Columbo two days ago” Sebastian replied, “So you will be here in a few days?” I asked, “Yes, three days to be exact, and we only have 14 crew, for this voyage, just enough to get by with just 4 executive guests, plus two of my staff from Switzerland have joined us for the 21- day journey” Sebastian replied.

Wait, who is the fourth executive guest, apart from you, Mrs Cooper and Xavier?” I asked, “that would be my late 1st cousin’s son, his name is Xander, and he is 14 years old. I have pulled him out of Grammar school a week early for this holiday” Sebastian replied.

Great, you will be here just in time for my official arrival ceremony at 10am on Monday” I said, “That is terrific news, we look forward to seeing it” Sebastian said. “Since you will be here, I need you to do something for me, I will need to be on the Naval ship when it arrives, so maybe once you have cleared customs and quarantine, you can collect me from a remote location of the island, for an overnight stay and early on Monday morning, ferry me to the naval ship?” I asked.

“Certainly, we can do that, we will be arriving some time on Sundaymorning, I will organise for a cabin to be prepared for you” Sebastian replied, “Oh and one more cabin for my friend Kylie Sanders, she will be my co-host for the event” I added, “Is this the young lady, who is your best friend?” Sebastian asked me, “Yes that is the one, thanks Sebastian, I will see you in a few days” I said, and we ended the call.

Over the next few days, I was kept busy getting settled into my new place of work, while maintenance and construction was happening outside, and the furniture was brought in. Mrs Masters was wonderful with making sure that everything new was put in their right place, and she only disturbed us, when bringing trays of morning tea of lunch.

By the middle of the third day, the external security fence had been installed, along with security cameras and sensor lights. The work on the carpark entry would have to wait till after the Welcome Arrival ceremony is over, which has been finalised, with the HMAS Albany due to arrive on Sunday evening.

I would sneak onboard in the early hours of Monday morning, after staying overnight on the yacht, and along with Kylie, and we would have breakfast with the ships senior officers, before a tender will transport us to the island for the official welcome, at 0900 hours.

After lunch on Sunday, I went out the front of the building, to see if the yacht had arrived, but instead of seeing the “Yacht Huon”, I saw an enormous ship, that looked to be about 80 metres long at least, and pulling out my mobile, I dialled Sebastian’s number. “Hello Sir Lewis, I was wondering when you would ring me” Sebastian said when he answered.

“That’s not you in that enormous monstrosity is it?” I asked, and Sebastian laughed, don’t be so mean to my new ship, she is beautiful, and a dream to sail in. Where can I send the rib boat to come and collect you?” Sebastian answered. “Well not until after dark, on the east side of the town jetty, there is a small boat ramp, you can collect us from there” I replied, “Ok, no problems, see you then” Sebastian said, and he ended the call.

My next call was to Kylie, to find out if she was able to get on the Saturday flight, as I had not heard from her. “Hello Lewis, I am just stepping off the plane as we speak” Kylie said to me. “What plane?” I asked, “I wasn’t able to get on yesterday’s flight, but Margaret told me that she was travelling on a private flight, so that is how we have arrived” Kylie replied.

“That wouldn’t be a private flight with the Wagner family by any chance?” I asked, “Yes, of course it was, along with Joachim, Louis and Wyatt, we are all staying on this new ship of theirs, which sounds very interesting” Kylie said, “You wait till you see it, I am looking at it now, anchored in the bay, it is huge” I commented.

“We will, once we have caught a taxi into the settlement in about twenty minutes time, we have to go through customs and quarantine, I am told” Kylie informed me, “Ok, I will be coming onboard just after dark, so I am not noticed, so far only my staff know that I am already on the island, by the way what about your husband and son?” I asked, “Staying on the mainland for now, see you later then, bye” Kylie said, and I headed back into the building.

“Sir, we have organised a local restaurant to provide light food and drinks for an official morning tea in the ballroom, and all work has been stopped until Tuesday morning, so as not to be in the way of official events tomorrow” Staff Sergeant Lister said to me, “Very good thank you Staff, do you have a programme for events for tomorrow?” I asked, “Yes sir, I am just printing off a master copy for you now sir” the Staff Sergeant replied.

“Sir, we have some special packages arrive on the supply ship this morning, one of them is now located on the upstairs front veranda, here is the card that goes with it” Captain Watts said to me, as he handed over the envelope.

“Sir Lewis Shaw, Baron of Rottnest, KCB, CVO, VC, SC, DSC, Administrator of the Indian Ocean Territories of Australia. I wish you a successful tour of your new position, may the fair winds, fill your sails, and you sail into calm waters. Best wishes Michael Grove, Governor General of Australia”.

After reading the note, I headed upstairs to see what the GG had given me as a welcome present. Sitting on the veranda, I found a large telescope, which would allow me to view the whole of Flying Fish Cove, and stepping up to the telescope, I scanned the cove, until I saw Sebastian’s new ship, and adjusted the focus a little, to see Sebastianstanding on the main deck of his ship, beside the pool.

I picked up my mobile and dialled his number, and watched through the telescope as he pulled out his phone, “Hello Lewis, how are things going at your new home?” Sebastian asked when he answered, “Oh good, everything is running smoothly, thanks to my office staff, what about you, how are things beside the pool on your ship” I replied, and I saw Sebastian turn and look in my direction.

“Are you spying on me Sir Lewis?” Sebastian asked, and I laughed, “No, I am testing out my new telescope, on the upper front veranda of the house, a present from the Governor General” I replied, “Oh I see, well that is nice, see you in a few hours then, bye” Sebastian replied and ended the call.

“Sir you have one more package, which you will be able to see from the carpark side of the veranda” Captain Watts said to me, and I walked over to the side and looked down, to see a new Landrover Evoqueparked in the carpark, along with two new vehicles, and the Captain handed me another envelope.

“Vehicles for you and your staff, I hope you enjoy them, M.G” the short note said, as the Captain handed me a set of Landrover keys. “The white Evoque is your official vehicle, while the Red 110 Defender is your private vehicle” the Captain informed me. “What about that ute?” I asked, “The Toyota Hilux SR is one of two staff vehicles, the other is the Toyota Rav-4, which Mrs master’s is eagerly giving a test drive as we speak, and both are Blue” the Captain said, which made me laugh.

I bet she was thrilled when she learnt about being able to drive a new vehicle” I commented, “Oh course Sir, and the Hilux SR is great to drive too” the Captain replied grinning. “Can you arrange for the hire car to be returned please, and I will take the Defender for a little drive,to pack all of my belongings from the villa, and move them up to here” I stated, “We can do that for you sir” the Staff Sergeant said, “No, it’s fine I would like to just go for a drive” I replied, and we headed back downstairs.

With keys in hand, I stepped out the front door and made my way to the Defender, noting that its license plate reads - CI – 1000, while the official vehicle’s licence plate reads CI 1. After driving around the island for about half an hour, I returned to the Villa, and packed up allmy luggage, and loaded it into the vehicle, and stopped off at the Tourist Information centre to drop off the keys, before heading back to what I guess is now officially to be known as Government House.

As I was approaching the narrow bridge, I smiled when I saw a brand-new large sign had been installed, “Government House – Administration of the Indian Ocean Territories of Australia – Christmas Island, Cocos Keeling Islands, Chagos Archipelago, 500 metres on the left”, replacing the previous large sign which said “Smith Point Precinct – Tai Jin House & Gun Emplacement – 500 metres ahead”.

When I reached the house, the gates to the carpark were locked, and I tooted the horn, before the gates automatically opened, and closed 30 seconds after I had driven in, and Staff Sergeant Lister appeared, and began to unpack the vehicle. “The official car is in the garage sir, and I will put this vehicle away, once I have delivered your luggage” the soldier said to me, “Very well, thank you Staff, oh and the new sign looks great” I replied, as I handed him the keys.

I headed to my office, and Mrs Masters arrived with a tray of afternoon tea, “Thankyou Mrs Masters, just what I need, by the way how are your new staff getting along?” I said as she poured the tea and handed it to me.

“Not so good, I am afraid sir, we may have to import a house cleaner from the mainland, but the chef, although he is not local, Andrew is settling in very well” Mrs Masters replied, before leaving the office. As she did, a thought came to mind, and I made a note to ask Sebastian about it later. Captain Watts knocked and entered the office from his area and placed a small stack of papers on my desk.

“The top one is the programme for tomorrows events, including the morning tea, the second Item is the list of guests that you will be hosting for dinner tomorrow night, including the Honourable Karl Andover, your Deputy on the Chagos Archipelago, his wife - Margo, plus the Council Chief and his wife.

Both couples are being flown here on a special charter, and will be staying here tomorrow night, plus the Shire CEO and his wife, and the Shire President and his wife, will be attending the dinner” the Captain announced.

“Oh great, just what I need on my first official day” I grumbled softly, and the Captain smiled, “I am sure it will all go well sir” the Captain remarked, “Can you add Mr Sebastian, Mr Joachim and Mr Louis Wagner, plus Mrs Kylie Sanders, and Ms Margaret Shaw to the guest list for dinner tomorrow night please, and is Chef Andrew doing the cooking?” I asked.

“Yes sir, he is, and he has a Sous Chef, and a kitchen hand assisting him, plus we have borrowed waiters from the resort, to assist with dinner service” Captain Watts informed me, before heading back to the main office. I looked at the papers in front of me, and began to look at them one at a time, along with some emails received today, and I decided to deal with the mail on Tuesday, after all of the ceremonies are over, and I headed upstairs to unpack some of my luggage, that I brought over from the villa, and packed an overnight small bag, for my stay on Sebastian’s Yacht.

After having a light dinner just before dark, I had Captain Watts drive me down to the small boat ramp, at the bottom of the drive, where a rib dinghy was waiting for me, to take me to the yacht, which I had noticed had moved closer to shore just before dark.

“Permission to come onboard” I said, out of habit from my Navy days, “Permission granted” I heard Sebastian say as he stepped under some light for me to see him. “Good evening Sir Lewis, welcome onboard, I hope your stay will be a short but enjoyable one” Sebastian said to me as he gave a slight bow, and I handed him my small bag, which he indicated he would carry, as he lead the way alongside the pool, and through some doors to the left, into a small saloon, then through another set of doors to the main foyer.

“I have reserved you one of the suites, which covers two levels, on the lower level is your suite entry, bathroom, walk in closet, and lounge room, with the mezzanine level upstairs having your bedroom, and includes a desk” Sebastian said to me as we entered the elevator and went down two decks., and stepping out of the elevator into an identical foyer, Sebastian lead me through one set of doors forwards of the foyer, and he stopped to unlock the door to the right, and stepped aside to let me go through.

The suite was very luxurious, with expensive furniture, linen, and paintings on the walls. “I am in the suite directly opposite yours, if you have any issues, or you can dial 1 on your phone to get the butler, I will let you settle in, and everyone is gathered in the main saloon, one deck up and to the stern” Sebastian explained before leaving me to look around my suite.

About fifteen minutes later, I made my way up to the next deck up, and standing at the door to the main saloon, I saw Wyatt, and one other young man, dressed in suits with white gloves and holding a silver service tray’s. “Good evening Sir Lewis, may I introduce my younger brother – Xavier” Wyatt said to me.

“Good Evening young men, and nice to meet you Xavier, can I have a cold orange juice, with a touch of mint if you have it” I replied, as the doors were opened for me, “His Excellency, Lord Sir Lewis Shaw, Baron of Rottnest” Wyatt announced as I stepped into the saloon, and I saw everyone stand up and bow or curtsey to me. “Please, enough of all that formal stuff, I will get an overload of that tomorrow” I said, as I found myself a seat next to Kylie.

“Hello handsome, how are you settling in?” Kylie whispered to me, as she leaned in close and kissed me on the cheek, “I hope that is permitted” Kylie added, looking a little uncertain about what she had done, and I just chuckled.

“Only you and Margaret are permitted, by the way, where is she?” I replied, “Slight wardrobe misfunction, she shouldn’t be too long” Kylie replied, just as I heard the door reopen, and Margaret walked in, so I stood, to give her a kiss on the cheek and a hug, “Hello my dear sister, how well you are looking and beautifully dressed” I commented, which made Margaret blush a little.

Copyright August 2018, Preston Wigglesworth, All rights are reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 12
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I missed so much of your NB series and I was most happy and pleasantly surprised to find Sebastian, Joachim, Louis, Wyatt, Mrs C being part of Indian Ocean Invasion. Will Kyle and Reverend Davies and other personalities from NB be making any appearances soon? Thank you so much!!!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I’m glad that Lewis is getting settled in at the Government  House, and his staff is getting settled in although Mrs Masters has said that they may have to import a housekeeper from the mainland, other than that minor issue everything seems to be going well. It was sneaky for Sebastian to arrive on a giant ship instead of the yacht Huron, if I’m not mistaken the ship is the same one that Lewis was working with the twins on. I’m glad that Kylie made it finally and that Lewis’s sister Margaret has come as well, Lewis already had the Staff Sergeant add them to the guest list along with Sebastian, Louis, Joachim, and Wyatt along with the other official guests. There’s still been no word from Jeremy yet I hope that he and Mitchell are alright. I’m happy that Sebastian has agreed to let Lewis & Kylie stay aboard the ship and then get them over to the naval frigate before breakfast so that they can have breakfast with the senior officers aboard the ship. I can’t wait to read about the official arrival ceremony and then the surprise in the final chapter of the story. Amazing chapter 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I am guessing that the author has some surprises in mind with all of the guests who are arriving for the installation ceremony.  Lewis is being overloaded with responsibilities, but I imagine he will adapt.  He will have things running smoothly in short order, especially with Kylie there to help him.

 

Each new chapter brings new surprises.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

The secret to having things for an overloaded executive run well is efficient and cooperative assistants -- it looks like Sir Lewis is accumulating those as needed. Once he gets the official bullshit over with and settles down to do his job, I am sure he will do well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..