Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,815 Words
  • 1,673 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Kit - 5. Kit Chapter 5

Marcus and I would be going directly to Sydney first, where we would check out some of the tourist sights, before heading south on the Train to Melbourne, so that Marcus could visit his parents and relatives. After the long journey to Sydney, which took 21 hours to complete the journey from Rome, with a stop over in Singapore, we collapsed into our separate bedrooms in a two-bedroom hotel suite, in the centre of Sydney, and slept for a good eight hours before we both appeared in the main living area of the suite, just a few minutes apart, and both of were showered and freshly dressed.

I had just finished ordering breakfast with room service, when Marcus walked in. “Breakfast will be arriving shortly, so what are our plans while we are here,” I said to my good friend. “I think a trip to the famous Bondi Beach is the first order of business. Although it is winter time down here, I would love to go for a bit of a swim, as it has been quite a while since I was last here,” Marcus replied.

“Well, it is a first for me, so I am in agreement to check it out,” I responded smiling. The whole day was spent visiting key tourist sights around the city, including Taronga Zoo, and we were both fairly worn out from all of the activities, and we headed for the showers to clean up before we gone down to one of the restaurants in the hotel for dinner.

I emerged in the lounge room first, and I sat down and switched on the television to watch the news. After about fifteen minutes, I was starting to get tired of all the horrible things happening around the world, when the next news item caught my attention.

“… news just in from Western Australia, where a 40-year-old mother of three from a country town north of the capital city, had been charged with attempted murder of her husband, following a number of arguments about money. It is believed that the 40-year-old husband, a local council departmental manager is currently in hospital, currently been treated for long term poisoning over a period of a few months. Their three sons, aged 10, 6 and 4 are currently in the care of family friends, until another relative can be contacted…” the reporter announced.

“That is horrible, I wonder what town that… what is wrong?” Marcus said when he saw the expression on my face which had gone ghost white. “That is my…” I didn’t finish the response as my mobile rang, and it took me a while to locate and answer it.

“Hello, Kye. I have some news for you and it is not good,” Uncle Mathias said to me over the phone, “If it is about what my mother has just done to Dad, I just heard about it on the national news,” I replied, “Damn, bloody reporters. I had a call from the police in Perth, looking for the closest relative who can look after the boys, and I informed them that they have an older brother, who happens to have just arrived back in Australia, and is in Sydney,” Uncle Mathias said to me.

“You got to be kidding me?” I said, sounding shocked at what my Uncle said to me, “Well you are the closest blood relative to the boys, and you are already in Australia. Anyway, I also needed to let you know that I have spoken to the hospital in Perth, and your father is in a coma, and they are not sure if he will survive or not. Apparently, he collapsed while attending a shire meeting, and he was rushed to the nearest hospital and then flown to Perth soon after.

I contacted the shire to find out more about what happened, and I was informed by the Shire CEO, that your father had confided with two of his work colleagues about the marriage not going well since selling most of the farm, and that more recently, since the death of her mother, the arguments about money have been getting worse, and not all of the arguments were in private either, with some of them happening in town in front of witnesses.

The police found poisons with arsenic as the main ingredient, hidden under the trough in the laundry, and the only finger prints found on the bottle were hers. I also informed the police that I have a number of emails from your father, expressing his concerns, for his sons safety regarding the erratic behaviour of his wife over the past few months,” Uncle Mathias said to me.

I sighed and took a moment to digest everything that I had just learnt. “Ok, so where are the boys now,” I asked, “They are with the Patterson family, I am sure you know where they live, and I have spoken to them and they are aware that you are in Australia and will be taking over custody of the boys until your father has recovered. I have also arranged for our home in Kings Park Ave to be prepared for your arrival,” Uncle Mathias said to me.

After a bit more of a discussion, I ended the call, and stared out the window of the hotel for a few minutes. “From what I heard of your end of the conversation, something is not very good with your family,” Marcus said taking me out of a daze.

“Yes, you could say that, my Mum has been arrested on murder charges, and Dad is on hospital in a very serious condition, so I have to fly home to look after my three younger brothers,” I commented, and it took a few moments for Marcus to connect what I had said with what had just been broadcasted on the news.

“Oh shit! That is your family. Oh man, that is not good. Ok leave it with me, I will make all the arrangements, you get packed and just relax until it is time for us to head to the airport,” Marcus said to me, as he pulled out his phone and began to dial a number.

“You don’t have to do this mate, this is my family problem that I need to deal with, you just stay and enjoy your holiday,” I responded. “Like hell I will, we are best mates, and I am helping you no matter what,” Marcus replied, as he finished dialling the number and walked out onto the balcony to start a conversation with whoever it was that he called.

“Ok, I have arranged for our flight to Perth, I am just having difficulties arranging hotel accommodation there, but I will get that sorted soon I hope,” Marcus said once he stepped back inside, after a few minutes on the telephone. I smiled when he said this, “No need for accommodation, Uncle Mathias has a home on the edge of the city, and he has arranged for it to be prepared for our arrival, all I have to arrange is for a vehicle to travel up to my original home town, which is about over two-hours’ drive from the city,” I replied.

“Not a problem, is there an airfield at your former home town, we can charter a jet and be there in half an hour, from Perth,” Marcus responded, and I laughed, “You always want to get there fast and travel in luxury my friend, how about taking some time to enjoy the travelling,” I replied.

Marcus eventually agreed with me, and instead he suggested that we purchase a vehicle, and we can drive up to my former home town, I reluctantly agreed to this suggestion, as long as it was not a very expensive fancy car, and that it can seat at least five people plus luggage in it.

Reluctantly, Marcus agreed to this, and after some searching online, we both agreed on purchasing a Jeep Wrangler, a 4 x 4 which is a hardtop with a sky roof, five seats with plenty of storage space in the rear, and we found one available for purchase that is a red colour that we both liked, and we would look at getting it as soon as we arrive in Perth, which was tomorrow morning.

When we arrived at the airport the next morning, we had just finished checking in, when I received a text message from Uncle Mathias. “Good Morning nephew, I have arranged for transport to collect you from the airport, when you arrive in Perth, just send me the flight details, so I can arrange for the vehicle to be there when your flight arrives, email sent with more details. Hope everything goes ok with you in WA, and remember that I am always here to assist you with anything that you need. Uncle M”.

“No need to buy a vehicle when we arrive in Perth, apparently Uncle Mathias has already arranged transport for us, and will be at the airport when we arrive. In what form the transport is, I am not sure, but I guess we will know when we arrive,” I said to Marcus, as I sent a text message back to my Uncle with the flight details.

Just moments before been called to board our flight, about an hour later, I received a text message back, “I have sent you a picture of your transport that you will be collecting at the airport, there will be someone there to hand over the keys when you land. Have a safe trip.”

I didn’t look at the photo, as we were called to board our flight, and I learnt that Marcus had booked us into Business Class for the four-hour flight to Perth, which didn’t really surprise me. Once we had settled into our seats, I took out my mobile and looked at the photo that my Uncle sent me.

To my total surprise, I saw a Jeep Wrangler 4 x4 in the colour of Maroon Red, which I liked even better than the righter red, and it looked to have all the same features. Closing the text message, I went to my email account and opened the new email from Uncle Mathias. And it showed the full brochure for the Jeep Wrangler Overland, plus a short message. “Here is your first car, I hope you like it, Uncle M.”

Which is a four-passenger door vehicle, with hard roof, side steps, spare tyre on the rear door, fold down tailgate table, front sun roof, and the more I looked at it, the more I liked the colour. I decided to not tell Marcus about the vehicle until we get there, so it is a surprise for him, and I leaned back and relaxed as the plane prepared for taking off.

Apart from the bumpy turbulence we experienced as we headed downwards as we approached Perth, it was a smooth flight, and I even managed to snooze for part of the flight. Once we had collected our luggage, we headed to the exit, and parked there at the front door, was my new car, with a gentleman standing next to it.

“Mr Kye Seabrook, here is your new car, with our compliments, and that of your Uncle Mathias, I hope you enjoy it,” the gentleman said to me as we approached, and I glanced over to Marcus, to see his mouth drop open in surprise, and I just laughed, as I accepted the keys and thanked the gentleman for delivering the vehicle.

“Wow, nice car, and I like the colour too, can I get to drive it?” Marcus said to me, and I laughed again, as I pressed the unlock button, before opening the rear door and loading my luggage in, with Marcus doing the same. Although disappointed that he wasn’t driving, he was busy checking everything out in the front passenger side, while I drove out of the carpark, and we headed into the city.

“Have you been to Perth before?” I asked my good friend, “No, but I have been checking out maps of the city once I knew that we where heading this way, so I have a fairly good idea where most of the main roads are around the city, and the names of some of the suburbs,” Marcus said to me.

A few moments later we turned onto Great Eastern Highway, heading for the city, and not that long after, shortly after passing the casino, I turned onto Shepparton Road, and we crossed over the Swan River, with the bridge going onto Heirisson Island, before arriving at the city.

“Wow, that’s a nice entry into the city, and large parks and gardens everywhere too,” Marcus commented, “You wait till we go and see Kings Park, then you will be really impressed,” I replied, as I followed Riverside Drive, on the south side of the city, around Elizabeth Quay, and turning to head closer to the centre of the city I turned onto St Georges Terrace, heading up the hill towards the Arch and Parliament house, before turning left onto Fraser Avenue.

“Welcome to Kings Park,” I stated as we slowly drove past a line of tall white gum trees on both sides of the road, with plenty of lawn area, and manicured botanical gardens, and moments later the view of the Swan River and the city from a higher point came into view, as I pulled over in a parking area. “Wow, now that is quite a view,” Marcus commented.

“Yes, it is, and we have a similar view in parts at my home, that Uncle Mathias lets me share with him,” I replied, as I indicated and drove on, taking a right turn and after going around two roundabouts, and taking two more turns, we were soon on Forrest Drive, which takes is through the south side of Kings Park, which is mostly natural bushland on the inside, and landscaped lawns and gardens on the other side, that allows views of the river.

After a three-kilometre drive through the park, I turned into a carpark area, where there is a lookout feature, and after a short walk we could see a large amount of the Swan River, from the Narrows Bridge, and South Perth to Matilda Bay and onwards to Applecross and the Canning Bridge.

“You are so lucky to have such a beautiful park so close to the city, and the views, they are stunning, far better than what we have in Melbourne, and I would say much better than some parts of Europe that we have been too,” Marcus commented.

Near the end of Forrest Drive, I turned left onto Park Avenue, with the bush on the right and a few houses on the left, and I took the next street on the left, which heads down hill, which is Kings Park Ave, and immediately after the third apartment building, I turned left into a driveway where there was visitor parking opposite the apartment building, and just after a large hedge fence, I stopped at a security gate, and punched in the six digit gate code, to enter the home property, where I first began my new life with Uncle Mathias, when I was just twelve years old.

“Wow, nice place, well-hidden too, by the looks of it,” Marcus commented, as we climbed out of the car, and I led the way to the back door, where lifted a little door hatch and placed my hand on the screen hidden behind it, and after scanning my hand print, there was a beep sound, then the click sound, of the door unlocking.

“High level security, very impressive,” Marcus said to me and I just smiled as I opened the door and walked in. “This is a four bedroom and two and half bathroom house built in the 1960’s, has two levels, with a formal dining room, formal lounge, kitchen and breakfast bar, pantry, laundry, study, half bathroom and a large entry foyer on the lower level, and the four bedrooms, two bathrooms and private lounge on the upper level, along with a wide front verandah with awesome views of the river,” I commented.

“Looks a little tired, and could do with a bit of renovating,” Marcus commented, as we walked through the kitchen area and down the central passage, before heading up the stairs. This is your room during out stay, great view of nothing really, sorry about that, I cant help you with the giant building in the way of the view of Kings Park.

Uncle Mathias and I have the two front bedrooms, we will be sharing the bathroom between us, and once we have settled, I will show you around our small garden and we can relax for a while, before we go out for dinner,” I said.

Copyright September 2022 All Rights are Reserved, Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 20
  • Love 19
  • Wow 9
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Angry 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a monster is that mother. Hopefully, her sentencing will also take into account her bad example to her children. She is not allowed to see them again until they are adults.
I hope the father recovers.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..