Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 - Winter - Blackout Entry

Burning Bright - 1. Burning Bright

Oh god, not again.

I clenched the steering wheel as the first twinges of pain hit. Maybe I could still make it home before the throbbing started. I’d really hoped the new medication would prevent my migraines. They had for the most part, but occasionally one still managed to slip through the cracks. The fuzziness in my vision had been my first indication that a migraine was looming. The colorful zigzag pattern started at the edges of my vision and proceeded to work its way inward, until they multiplied and blurred even more of my vision. It made it impossible to see clearly, and the only respite from the distorted vision was to close my eyes.

Unfortunately, closing my eyes wasn’t always a good idea because then I’d feel like the room was spinning, which only succeeded in making me queasy. The last thing I wanted to do when my head was pounding out a rhythm all its own was hang over the toilet puking my guts out. And not just because of the nastiness of puking. The heaves made my head throb even more.

I wished like hell for the over-the-counter meds, or the doctor prescribed migraine pills, that typically staved off the migraine when my prescription preventative didn’t work. If I took them as soon as the aura started, the migraine rarely proceeded to full strength. Unfortunately, my pills were at home—a half hour away— and I was driving. For now.

Which also meant I couldn’t even try closing my eyes to block out the blurriness.

I was fucked, no matter how I looked at it. If my vision got any worse, I wouldn’t be able to continue home. I couldn’t very well drive when I could barely see. The center and outside lines were already difficult to make out, and it would only get worse.

Ten minutes later, and I had no choice. I had to pull over. My vision had continued to deteriorate, and the pressure in my head had grown to where it felt like something was trying to escape my skull, only to retreat and try again, repeatedly. I took the next exit and pulled into the first parking lot I found. Shutting the car off, I grabbed my phone from the seat beside me and stared at the buttons, barely able to make out the numbers. I only needed one and hit the speed dial for Kevin, praying he’d pick up.

“Hey babe, how far out are you?”

“Fifteen, maybe twenty minutes.” I could feel the pain building in my temples and groaned. “Kev, I think I’m in trouble.”

“What’s wrong?”

I hated the panic I heard in his voice. “Migraine.” I tried to breathe through the pain, but it just kept building in intensity.

“Shit. Did you take a pill?”

“Couldn’t. They’re at home.” I honestly wasn’t even sure my pills would have done much good. The migraine had come on quickly. “I don’t think I can make it home. Can you come get me?”

“Just tell me where you are, and I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

I groaned, this time in relief. Kevin was always willing to be my savior. I’d be completely screwed without him. I told him which exit I had taken and where I’d managed to park. He hung up with promises to be there quickly.

I blindly reached into the backseat and grabbed the jacket I always kept in the car. I wasn’t cold, but even with my eyes shut, the light penetrated and made my head hurt worse. All I wanted was a dark, quiet room, but all I could do was lean back in the seat and cover my head with the jacket, blocking out the light. If I was really lucky, maybe I could doze for a bit before Kevin got there.

But I doubted it.

The ice pick in my brain had yet to let up. The longer I sat there, the worse it became. Sleep wasn’t going to be in my future unless I could get some sort of relief. It seemed like forever before my car door opened and I heard the voice of my savior.

“C’mon Bryce, let’s get you home and settled in bed.” His hand gripped my arm, and he carefully pulled the jacket from my head. “Keep your eyes closed, and I’ll guide you.”

Nodding would have hurt too bad, so I simply reached up and squeezed the hand on my arm, letting him know I understood. I slowly swung my legs out of the car and felt one of Kevin’s hands resting very lightly on the top of my head, probably to keep me from hitting it on anything when I got out.

“Easy does it, I got you.” Kevin helped me to my feet, and I felt a sudden wave of dizziness.

I stumbled and probably would have fallen if Kevin hadn’t had a grip on me and helped keep me on my feet. He led me to his car, helped me get settled inside, and shut the door. A minute later I heard him get in and close his door. Suddenly I felt something pressed into my palm.

“Here, I brought the good stuff.” His voice was soothing as he wrapped my hand around what felt like one of my prescription migraine pills. I usually tried the over-the-counter pills first because they were cheaper, but this time I had no qualms with bringing out the big guns.

I doubted it would release the vise that currently had me in its grip, but maybe it would at least dull it enough by the time we got home so I could sleep it off. I popped the pill into my mouth and held out my hand. I’d dry swallow if I needed to, but I knew Kevin. He’d have brought something for me to take the pill with. I was rewarded by a bottle pressed into my waiting hand.

Once I’d washed my meds down with several small sips, I leaned back into the seat, and my jacket was placed back over my face. I still had yet to thank Kevin for coming to my rescue. I didn’t know what he’d been doing when I called, but—like always—he’d dropped everything when I needed him. At least that was something I could see to before we got home.

I braced myself for the pain and lifted the edge of my jacket to peer out at Kevin. The jacket blocked out most of the light, and I barely opened my eyes, but enough light came through to send intense—stabbing—pain through me. In spite of the agony, I looked at Kevin, determined to make it clear how much I appreciated him.

“Thank you, babe.” I reached out and rested my hand on his thigh. “I don’t know what I would do without you.”

He laced his fingers with mine, squeezed, and glanced over at me. “Hopefully you won’t find out for a very long time.” He released my hand and reached over to tug the jacket back into place. “Keep your eyes covered so you don’t make it worse. We’ll be home soon.”

I tried to do as he said, but breathing in the cocoon of fabric made it too warm. I pulled the jacket from my face and lay my arm across my eyes. The pressure wasn’t helping, but it kept the light from penetrating, and that was all I needed.

“Almost there, just hold on a bit longer.”

I could hear the stress in Kevin’s voice and hated that I was the one who’d caused it. I’d have to make it up to him, as soon as I felt better. Kevin would argue that it wasn’t necessary, but to me it was. He was so good to me, and sometimes I felt like I didn’t do enough to show how I felt.

I groaned as Kevin drove over the first speedbump in the neighborhood we lived in. I knew him well enough to know he was being careful, but there was still a slight bump whenever we went over one. On the plus side, it meant we were just moments from pulling into our driveway. Finally the car stopped, and Kevin shut it off and got out.

I let him help me out of the car and into the house. Once we were inside, I opened my eyes. Bright light still hurt, but the aura was no longer an issue. I could see; it just wasn’t pleasant. I probably should have just waited in my own car to see if my vision improved, but if it hadn’t, I’d still be stuck there, hurting. Besides, even if I had been able to see, I’d still have been suffering from the debilitating pain in my head. It was better that I’d called Kevin.

I stumbled down the hall to our bedroom and sank down onto the bed. The window taunted me. I glared, but couldn’t find the strength to get up and close the shades.

“Hold on, I’ve got it.” Kevin darted through the door and to the window, quickly pulling down the blackout shades. They hadn’t been cheap, but they were worth every penny when they blocked out the sun and made the room more bearable. Kevin moved into our bathroom and moments later came back and held up a cold washcloth. “Lay down so I can put this over your eyes.”

I did as I was told. The cold compresses never helped much, but they did help some. The cloth felt scratchy on my sensitized skin, but the coolness was a welcome relief to my aching eyes. I relaxed and let the pillow cradle my head.

“I’ll be in the living room if you need anything.” Kevin’s lips brushed against mine, and, moments later, I heard the door latch engage as he softly closed the door. I curled up in the bed, uncaring that the washcloth slipped from its place, and let the oblivion of sleep carry me away.

***

I heard the sound of running water and forced my eyes open. Our bathroom door was closed, but I could see a sliver of light peeking out from beneath. I sat up in bed and cautiously swung my legs over the side while I took stock of my body. There was still a dull ache behind my temples, but it no longer felt like a chainsaw was ripping through flesh and bone.

I stood and made my way into the bathroom. Kevin’s silhouette showed through the glass shower doors. I hurriedly stripped my clothes off and quietly joined him. Kevin’s head was tilted back, shampoo suds and water rushing away from his head, down his taut body, only to flow down the drain. He raked his hands through his hair just as I stepped forward and rested my hands on his hips.

He jumped, his eyes flew open, and his breath caught in his chest.

He saw it was me and released the breath he’d been holding. “Holy shit, you scared me.” He glared at me, but the look almost instantly softened, and I could see the lines of worry in his face. “How’s your head?”

“Not perfect, but better.” I wrapped my arms around his waist and dipped my head to brush my lips over his. I tightened my hold on him, my erection pressing against his belly. “Did I already thank you for coming to get me?”

“Yes, but you didn’t need to.” Kevin rested his head against my chest. “You should know you can always call me.”

I stroked my hands up and down his wet back and felt him shiver against me. “You cold?”

He chuckled and looked up at me. “No, but then you already knew that.”

I nodded, relieved that I could make that small movement without my head feeling like it was going to explode. It was a definite improvement from earlier in the day. “Yeah, I did, but figured I’d ask anyway.” I reached for the soap, intent on washing him, arousing him, but he reached out and grasped my hand in his.

“I know what you’re doing, and as much as I’d love what you’re planning, you know you have to be careful or your migraine will come back.”

I sighed and rested my head on top of his. It wasn’t the first time a migraine had come between us sexually, but, as always, he was considerate and understanding. “I know, but it would be worth it.”

“Maybe, but we’re not going to find out.” He glanced down at our erections and grimaced. “I never thought I’d be passing up sex with you.” He looked back up, and our eyes met. “Fortunately, I’m not going anywhere and neither are you. We can wait until you’re back to one hundred percent.”

I nodded and stepped back, putting a little distance between us. I knew he was right, not that I’d actually tell him that, and there was no sense in teasing both of us when we couldn’t act on our desires. Well, we could, but Kevin wouldn’t. Once he’d made up his mind on something, there was no changing it. And he was currently in full “take care of Bryce” mode.

Once again, I resolved to make it up to him. Maybe a night out on the town. He used to be big into the party scene, but gave it up after the first time I joined him. The bright flashing strobe lights were my undoing, and I’d ended up slumped in a booth, my head buried in my coat. The migraine that time had hit hard and fast, with no warning or chance to head it off. Since the migraines were back under control—for the most part—maybe we could try it again. I’d just take a couple of my pills before we headed out. There was no reason he had to give up what he enjoyed, just because he was with me.

“I’ll let you finish your shower.” I tried to keep the resignation out of my voice, but I probably didn’t do a very good job of it. In fact, as Kevin frowned at me, I knew I hadn’t.

“How about an evening curled up on the couch in front of the TV? We haven’t had a movie night for a while.” He stepped close and pressed his lips to my chin.

I knew why he wanted movie night. He’d keep the lights and the sound low in an attempt to keep me from having a migraine relapse. I couldn’t be mad at him for putting the kibosh on my original plans. He was only doing it because he cared and didn’t want me to suffer unnecessarily. I nodded, kissed him briefly, and got out of the shower.

I toweled off, turned on the lamp by the bed, and moved to the dresser. I dug around in my pajama drawer until I found what I was looking for and glanced over at the bathroom door. The water was still running, so I still had a little time. I pulled the box from its hiding place amidst the clothes.

I flipped the lid open and stared at the two rings nestled inside. I’d wanted to ask for a while, but had never been able to find the right time. Then again, maybe I didn’t need to plan a perfect time. Kevin had never cared about grand gestures, not that I wouldn’t give them to him, but that’s not who he was. He’d shown me in more ways than I could count that he loved me. Coming to get me, and putting my needs before his own, was only the latest in a long list of ways he took care of me. What was I waiting for?

The gasp from the direction of the bathroom clued me in that I was no longer alone and that Kevin had most likely seen the box. Even if he couldn’t see what was inside, he could probably guess. I’d never even heard the shower shut off. I turned, the box with the rings still in my hand. Kevin’s gaze had been focused on my hands, but when I moved, he jerked his head up and met my gaze.

Everything he felt had always shown brightly through his eyes, and this time was no different. His gaze darted between the box in my hands and my eyes. Hope flared in the depths of his blue eyes as he took a step towards me, but then hesitated.

I smiled and closed the distance between us. I stopped in front of him, bent my head, and kissed him. He returned my kiss, his lips parting and welcoming my tongue into the warm cavern of his mouth. After a moment, I regretfully pulled away and broke the connection of our lips.

With the blackout shades still drawn, and the light from the small lamp illuminating the room in a soft glow, I swallowed hard and dropped to one knee.

I was done waiting.

A huge thank you to my team for helping me polish this story. Couldn't have done it without you!
Copyright © 2015 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 45
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 - Winter - Blackout Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I felt a wonderful warm glow as I continued through this story. It grew from the moment Bryce pulled over, and Kevin was on his way. You finished this perfectly. How accurately and definitively you described the pain. How difficult it is for some of us to accept help from people who love us! And then to have Bryce decide to act on that love was purely lovely. Thanks.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

What a beautiful love story with a great message. It is the ones who take care of who earn our trust. This peek into their lives was simply lovely. Great job Renee!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

That was awesome, Renee! I could feel my head hurting when the migraine hit, and I could feel the worry and care in Kevin's words and actions. Excellent plot and writing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Beautifully wrought, Renee. Woven throughout the pain was pure love. Kevin's total concern for Bryce was beautiful... it showed in his every action, and warmed my heart despite the excruciating pain you brought to life in me. Masterful job of describing the horror of a migraine. These two men love it other, and you made me feel it... the ending was sweet creme icing on the cake... sigh... thank you, and cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

That is so true. The grand gestures are nice, but love shows in the everyday actions, especially when you aren't feeling good. I hope they have a good life together!

  • Love 2
Link to comment

A touching and realistic story. The shower scene was great; I felt like I was there (or had lived it before ;) )

Kevin as a caring and devoted partner could not have been better drawn, imo, and I liked him very much. This was beautifully written!

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I loved this story. Kevin's love for Bryce shone through clearly, and the surprise proposal was perfect. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Such a lovely story Renee.
Such an interesting blackout. Throughout the first half, I was sure the migraine was going to somehow cause a blackout.
Sweet ending.

 

Thanks for sharing!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Such a great story! It's not the big gestures that matter it's the little things... taking care of someone you love when they need you, taking what your partner needs into consideration. This story showed that. Bryce knows how lucky he is to have Kevin and Kevin shows his appreciation for Bryce being in his life by taking care of him when his migraines become too much too take.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oooooo..... that made my toes curl. :wub: The beginning was the perfect description of how my migraines are!!! WOW!! Great story. :D I'll remember this one for a long time :thankyou:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 05:39 AM, Parker Owens said:

I felt a wonderful warm glow as I continued through this story. It grew from the moment Bryce pulled over, and Kevin was on his way. You finished this perfectly. How accurately and definitively you described the pain. How difficult it is for some of us to accept help from people who love us! And then to have Bryce decide to act on that love was purely lovely. Thanks.

Thank you, Parker! I'm glad you enjoyed the story as I wasn't entirely sure about it. Unfortunately, as a migraine sufferer, I know how they feel and I really wanted that to come through.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 05:40 AM, Cole Matthews said:

What a beautiful love story with a great message. It is the ones who take care of who earn our trust. This peek into their lives was simply lovely. Great job Renee!!!

Thank you, Cole! I'm glad that you enjoyed the story. I definitely agree that it's the ones who take care of us. I know I trust my hubby more than just about anyone, and he's been there with me through all the scares I've given him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 05:50 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

That was awesome, Renee! I could feel my head hurting when the migraine hit, and I could feel the worry and care in Kevin's words and actions. Excellent plot and writing.

Thank you, Carlos. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's great to hear that I made it realistic enough that you could feel it along with the character!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 05:58 AM, Headstall said:

Beautifully wrought, Renee. Woven throughout the pain was pure love. Kevin's total concern for Bryce was beautiful... it showed in his every action, and warmed my heart despite the excruciating pain you brought to life in me. Masterful job of describing the horror of a migraine. These two men love it other, and you made me feel it... the ending was sweet creme icing on the cake... sigh... thank you, and cheers... Gary...

Thank you, Gary! I definitely wanted to show how much these two meant to each other. It's an amazing feeling, despite the pain Bryce has to endure, to have someone there when you really need them. As for the ending, I debated on leaving it there, but it just felt right to me. I'm glad it worked and that you enjoyed it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 06:18 AM, Puppilull said:

That is so true. The grand gestures are nice, but love shows in the everyday actions, especially when you aren't feeling good. I hope they have a good life together!

Thanks, Puppilull. I agree, grand gestures can be great, but they're not always needed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 06:34 AM, AC Benus said:

A touching and realistic story. The shower scene was great; I felt like I was there (or had lived it before ;) )

 

Kevin as a caring and devoted partner could not have been better drawn, imo, and I liked him very much. This was beautifully written!

Thank you, AC. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I debated on having the shower scene go further, but it just didn't fit who the characters were. I think I made the right call!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 11:16 AM, Valkyrie said:

I loved this story. Kevin's love for Bryce shone through clearly, and the surprise proposal was perfect. :)

Thanks, Val! Sometimes just being there is the best way to show you care about someone. Of course, having the man you love on his knees with a ring box is another good way :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 12:18 PM, skinnydragon said:

Such a lovely story Renee.

Such an interesting blackout. Throughout the first half, I was sure the migraine was going to somehow cause a blackout.

Sweet ending.

 

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, skinnydragon. I typically like to take my anthologies in a different direction, and this is one I can safely say had a barely there link to the theme, but it was there and was realistic. Glad you enjoyed it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 12:44 PM, LitLover said:

Such a great story! It's not the big gestures that matter it's the little things... taking care of someone you love when they need you, taking what your partner needs into consideration. This story showed that. Bryce knows how lucky he is to have Kevin and Kevin shows his appreciation for Bryce being in his life by taking care of him when his migraines become too much too take.

Thank you, Litlover! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and honestly, I couldn't have said it better myself, so I'm not even going to try.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 01:56 PM, LadyDe said:

Oooooo..... that made my toes curl. :wub: The beginning was the perfect description of how my migraines are!!! WOW!! Great story. :D I'll remember this one for a long time :thankyou:

Thanks, LadyDe! I really wanted a sense of realism to the migraines, so not only did I take from my own experience, but I also did some online searches to see how other people described theirs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

When the story began ... I knew the progression as the words flowed over and around me, I know that place for I dwell there ... alone.
The love in this story is beautiful.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Ouch! My head's hurting now just reading about Bryce's migraine. Wow, that was so realistic, Renee.

 

I love how you wrote about the antho theme; I think it's very creative. :yes:

 

I agree with all your other reviewers; the love shown between Bryce and Kevin is beautiful. The best scene is the last one though, when Bryce gets down on one knee, ready to pop the question. We know Kevin's going to say yes! :D

 

Terrific story, Renee! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I've had headaches, but never a migraine. Renee you brought to life what it's like for anyone that suffers through a migraine. I felt Bryce's pain, it became so real to me.

 

Kevin, he's a gem. He is so selfless, wanting to always be there to help Bryce.
And of course, I can understand Bryce. He's not the kind of man that accepts help easily. I understand personally, it's raher difficult for me to ask for help.

 

Those moments between them are touching, and I saw the love they have for each other. Whether it was Kevin taking Bryce home, their shower, or Bryce proposing; that love shone brightly :)

 

I like how you connected the blackout theme with the migraine. Bryce closing his eyes to keep the light out was beautifully written.

 

Thank you for this wonderful story Renee!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..