Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
The action takes place in the near present (pre-2020), with scenes in flashback in italics.

They may not mean to, but they do - 28. Twenty-Eight

Saturday morning, Keith awoke early which was stupid because it was hours before Thomas was due. And Thomas wasn’t actually moving in, he would just be living next door, but still, Keith was excited. He got the jigsaw out, made himself a coffee, switched the radio on and started doing the jigsaw. Perhaps Thomas was early, or maybe Keith got absorbed, but suddenly he found the door opening and Thomas standing there smiling.

In fact, Thomas had nothing like as much stuff as Keith had imagined. Caroline had been exaggerating somewhat when she had described the number of boxes and Thomas had weeded a lot out, commenting that most of it was stuff that he didn’t know why he kept it, he’d never been one for keeping things.

Whilst most of the boxes would have to wait till Thomas had got proper furniture, judging by the ones that were opened there wasn’t much from Africa. Keith mentioned this when they broke for a late-morning coffee. Thomas looked a bit reluctant as if it was a sensitive topic,

“I spent most of my time in Zimbabwe and particularly latterly in Ghana hiding from myself. There are moments that I treasure and want to remember, and plenty that I’d rather forget”, he looked down at his hands, “I didn’t just burn out, I think I did have a bit of a breakdown.” The silence was so long that Keith got worried and said that it didn’t matter, they could talk about it later. But Thomas continued, saying that it did matter. “I never had an affair with anyone out there and no-one officially knew I was gay, but you did get close to people. It's difficult to convey what it was like, so much is different and lots of it is wonderful, the places, and particularly the people. But there was a lot of what we see as corruption, life just ran along different rails. I got friendly with a few young men who confided in me that they were gay. It was an impossible situation. One, Obiyé, who did those watercolours, managed to leave and is now relatively happy in South Africa. But others got arrested, a couple at parties, and another was set up with false charges.”

“What happened to them?”

Thomas shrugged, “I don’t know, they just disappeared.”

Keith was shocked, “Couldn’t you do something about it?”

Thomas wrinkled his face, thoughtfully, “The guys that you needed to approach about it were often the same guys that we needed to keep on the good side of, to keep the charity running well. And you have to work within the local culture, and technically the young men had often broken the law. They are pretty hard on homosexuality, often it's illegal and culturally it’s a no-no too. To even admit it to someone, they were very brave.”

“Shit, you read about things but never think what it might be like.”

“Precisely, you wake up one day and someone you know just disappears, and it feels as if no-one cares because he was a homo.” Keith kept quiet, he’d no idea what to say. Thomas recovered his composure somewhat, “Let’s not get too deep. Suffice it to say that I didn’t cope very well at all, so there are times that I just don’t want to remember. I’ve kept a few things, things that really matter and hopefully someday I’ll be able to put it more in perspective.”

They had a hug, and Keith felt at least that was something he could do. Then Thomas opened one of the boxes, that did have African stuff in. Keith could see more of Obiyé’s watercolours, a group of fabrics carefully folded, and some carved figures. Thomas picked one of these up, it seemed rather strange to Keith, even primitive, but he didn’t say so.

“Makalo was from a family of carvers, a distinguished family. He was one of the guys arrested, and…”, Thomas paused, clearly upset, “and when I left his father gave me this. It has particular significance, and I have all the details written down. Somewhere.” He gave a somewhat cock-eyed smile, “Look, I’d better put all this away before I burst into tears. I still find it difficult, so it’s easier to keep things put away.”

The rest of the day was devoted to purely practical matters, and it was Keith who insisted on having the boxes arranged neatly and orderly. Then they braved the motorway and visited IKEA where they bought some furniture. Greg and Bart had come over to check how they were getting on, and when they heard that a trip to IKEA was planned, they grinned and said that getting through IKEA and then successfully assembling the furniture without killing each other was a good test of a relationship. The shopping trip and the journey home took such a long time they abandoned any plans to assemble furniture till the morrow.

The visit to IKEA had shown up a difference between them, Thomas was most concerned with how a thing looked, and whether it would work for him whereas Keith worried about elements of practicality, how it would fit and how tricky it would be to assemble. They managed to agree to differ on a few items, but later in the week after everything was assembled and Thomas had the place sorted, he admitted that Keith had been right, and made him avoid some mistakes.

They ended the day relaxing at Greg and Bart’s over a glass of wine and some food. The conversation was general, and not at all deep. Everyone seemed in a mood to be a bit frivolous and forget life’s complexities. Keith found himself telling everyone about his escapade on Friday with Mrs, and her designer kitchen and left-over sushi. Jonty’s photographs definitely raised some interest (including a naughty comment from Bart about whether Jonty only ever photographed inanimate objects), as did the Michael Atkinson connection.

-oOo-oOo-

Sunday morning, they were late up, and Keith had bought bacon, rolls, and things so that they had a good, yet leisurely breakfast. Thomas asked if it was OK to put the radio on and Keith found himself listening to unfamiliar music as Thomas had put a classical music station on. They enjoyed some of it, though even when Thomas found the broadcast schedule, the names meant very little to Keith.

Then it was time to start assembling. Keith was methodical about it, maddening Thomas sometimes with his insistence on carefully laying everything out. Thomas spent most of his time unpacking and disposing of the packaging, sorting out and such, then providing an extra pair of hands where needed. They took a break in the middle of the day so Thomas could return the van and bring his own car back, but by the end of the day, Thomas had a flat. They hadn’t finished everything, and in the room next door, that Thomas would use as an office, there was still a pile of unpacked boxes and a desk awaiting assembly.

They sat on his new bed, looking around. “You know, I’ll never be able to find anything, and I can’t remember the last time I had all my stuff in the same place!”

Keith kissed him, “It looks great, and it won’t take long to get used to things. At least it didn’t me”

Thomas smiled, “But you’re more organised than I am. I’m a bit more the leaving it in a heap sort of guy.”

They laughed and a hug turned into something more so that when Greg and Bart knocked, both Thomas and Keith had to scrabble to get decent and felt somewhat embarrassed when they opened the door. If either visitor guessed what the delay had been, they didn’t say. Instead, there was a bottle of champagne to christen the new flat.

That night, Thomas insisted on christening the flat properly and sleeping in his own bed. Though the two had intended to sleep apart, somehow without planning it Keith shared with him. He’d joked that as he had built the bed, he ought to test if first to check it didn’t collapse, and Thomas had taken him up on it. Thomas seemed pleased, commenting that they were giving the new flat a proper send-off, and the bed didn’t collapse either.

Chatting about Friday’s events, Thomas suggested that they contact Jonty’s university gallery to talk to the curator about the Michael Atkinson figure, whether it had had any restoration and by whom. Thomas said he would phone, as he had more experience with dealing with museums and curators. Keith didn’t think any more about it, as he assumed it would take ages to get in touch with the right people, but Thomas appeared late Monday evening having worked late. Over a drink, and a snack from Keith’s fridge, Thomas broke his news. He had made a couple of calls and struck gold, the curator was around and happy to talk. If they could go on Wednesday, then the curator would be there as would the conservator who worked on the Atkinson as she was working on something else at the Museum. It wasn’t impossible, so on Tuesday both re-arranged their diaries so that they could spend the next day in Manchester.

-oOo-oOo-

“So, how’s your posh flat comin’ along?”

Keith’s explosive response to Jaz’s question nearly caused a spray of coffee. He’d popped into the building supplies to get some stuff and Jaz had almost whisked him off for her break, commenting she’d not seen him in ages. Was that true, Keith had no idea, but he thought she was exaggerating.

“It’s hardly posh, you ought to see it. Best IKEA furniture and a couple of prints from Leeds Art Gallery.”

“Ooh, classy. But still, it’s your own place. And it's OLD!”

He smiled, “And Thomas has moved in.”

“Your man? Into your flat. Wow, you guys didn’t waste any time.”

“Hardly. My flat’s tiny, just one room. The guys that own the place have been developing the outbuildings, it was an old farm once and they have created some studios. Thomas is renting one, so he’ll be next door.”

“Nice, I sometimes wished we could do that, then I wouldn’t want to kill him so often.”

She smiled. Keith then remembered Mrs’ flash kitchen on Friday. Glad to change the subject to something more general, he started telling Jaz about it, commenting that it was probably right up her street, real property porn.

Tuesday night, Keith went along to Faggots for Football and found that it was now becoming a regular part of his life, rather than a new experience. The training was lively and hard work, but there was chat too with Keith’s comment about Thomas moving into a flat next door causing quite a bit of lively comment. Toby, the joiner, had some choice words when Keith mentioned going to IKEA, but it was all good-humoured, albeit sometimes remarkably bawdy. And then, in the pub waiting for him, eating a pie, was Thomas.

Copyright © 2024 Robert Hugill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 17
This is one of my earliest stories and I remain rather fond of Keith and Thomas. There are something over 30 chapters to share; as ever, I am always delighted to hear from readers with comments and suggestions.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, Summerabbacat said:

Thomas confirmed what I have long suspected, he had a minor "breakdown" in Ghana, which is why he returned to the UK. What I did not suspect though was the events which led to his breakdown, the "disappearance" of some close friends who had confided in him they were gay. It is little wonder he himself has taken some time to embrace his sexuality. Fortunately he has chosen to do so with someone as hesitant as himself and they are learning together.

Keith's confidence continues to soar, albeit quietly and in an unassuming manner. He finds pleasure in the small things he and Thomas undertake together, the trip to IKEA and its aftermath. I have only ever bought lamps from IKEA and they did not need assembling. I find some of their furniture quite attractive but would never buy it because it has to be assembled. I have no patience and find instructions for assembly of most products written in a language I do not speak, most in fact may as well be written in Swahili.

The highlight of the chapter, the very last sentence "And then, in the pub waiting for him, eating a pie, was Thomas." Happiness for Keith is a thing called Thomas.

Delightful as usual @Robert Hugill and another top 10 placing in the 'General Fiction'. At this rate you will be challenging Cliff Richard for the number of top 10 entries. 

Thanks!

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CincyKris said:

But I have also assembled my gas grill and my exercise bike/clothes hanging station.

Best comment yet, now if the designers of IKEA furniture a shoe rack to fit the exercise bike/clothes hanging station life would be a dream!!

A delightful chapter but I am and remain concerned for Thomas, I believe without actually saying it, Thomas saw more than anyone should see...

1 hour ago, CincyKris said:

It's easy to forget, when you live in the US, Canada, UK, Australia, or most of Europe, that there are still places that people are legally executed just for being gay or lesbian.

In some parts of Africa, outreach efforts by several Christian denominations based here in the US of A, have actually had a hand in formulating the laws that persecute gay and lesbian folk, by working with those in power... 

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2
Link to comment

Keith and Thomas seem to be moving forward and it all appears to be going well; but Greg and Bart are right, shopping and assembly of furniture are never something should do early in a relationship.  LOL

The parts about Africa just made me sad.  Hate wins way too often.  And there is plenty to go around.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
5 hours ago, drsawzall said:

In some parts of Africa, outreach efforts by several Christian denominations based here in the US of A, have actually had a hand in formulating the laws that persecute gay and lesbian folk, by working with those in power... 

I fail to understand how the word "Christian" applies to those who follow other than the actual words and actions of Jesus!  When did they get promoted to ultimate judge?  Enough of my soapbox!  I'm just glad that I belong to a church that is part of the Reconciling Ministries network!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Greg and Bart had come over to check how they were getting on, and when they heard that a trip to IKEA was planned, they grinned and said that getting through IKEA and then successfully assembling the furniture without killing each other was a good test of a relationship.

No truer words spoken!  I have assembled a computer desk and hutch that looks nice but was the source of several verbal statements that the inanimate object could never perform, lol!  Also, I assembled a cabinet that was designed as a dining room cabinet, but I use it in my living room to store tons of stuff that I don't want lying around.  IKEA can be challenging yet fun in the end.

I love how Thomas and Keith are developing in their relationship.  I agree with @drsawzall:  Thomas may yet have difficulties resulting from his experience in Africa. 

As usual, exceptionally good writing!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

This was a great chapter and opened our eyes a little to Thomas' experiences in Africa. Although homosexuality is as real in African cultures as it is anywhere else, it is frowned upon and in some places criminalized. Thus will have been hard for Thomas and we haven't heard the end of it yet. 

But Keith and Thomas are a delight!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Doha said:

That is a sweet, sweet line!! @Summerabbacat

I "borrowed" (stole) it from Peggy Lee @Doha. On her album The Man I Love she included a song entitled Happiness Is A Thing Called Joe. I like the song and thought the title quite clever (and corny too, but it was recorded in 1957). I thought it leant itself well to being "borrowed" for this delightful chapter. 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..