Jump to content
    Thirdly
  • Author
  • 2,565 Words
  • 2,710 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Forget the Moon! - 4. Chapter 4

Regan Embers kept staring at the Khonsu stone embedded into his ring with a sense of anticipation and dread mixed together. He had gone back to his family after the Gifting Day ceremony, and life went on fairly normally. However, everything was going to change. Change was exciting, but it also caused his stomach to churn in uncertainty. Though he loved his family and they got along well, he was an independent soul and didn't want to be another mouth to feed and another burden.

Was he going to be able to fend for himself and care for his family at a distance?

Or was he going to fail horribly and go back home with his tail between his legs?

Were his fears going to prevent him from taking his first steps as a young adult?

Absolutely not. Fears were meant to be conquered. That was why Reg decided to set off on his own...to find himself an average job and to share an apartment with other like-minded folks. The Omega wanted to be the type of man that could provide for himself and send a part of his paycheck home.

During his first roundabouts in a town near his home, he found himself locked out of job opportunities due to his being an unmated Omega. But, Regan wouldn’t let that stop him. That wasn’t the only town near his family, after all.

He began applying at shops surrounding another apartment complex that he had been eyeing. His family helped him save enough for three months’ worth of expenses while he found a job. Regan had already exhausted one month’s worth. On his second roundabout, he managed to get three interviews lined up.

It seemed like that town was more progressive than the one he had tried before. The Omega’s next step was to ask around the new complex to see if he could find anyone that was willing to rent out a room for him. A part of him was quite excited when he was able to get a hold of the apartment complex manager and made an appointment to see her.

Though he was already eighteen, the curly hair atop his head made him appear much younger. So, Regan went through the effort of wearing a professional button-down shirt and slacks with decent shoes in an attempt to make a good first impression. The manager had promised him a little tour, and a peek at what the apartments looked like. Reg could hardly wait to finally be out on his own. Soon he would be able to give back to his family.

When he approached the elderly Beta, her gaze was not on the arm he had extended for a shake, but on the ring on his opposite hand. Regan followed her line of vision and immediately moved his hand towards his back in an effort to hide his Khonsu stone. Had he been fast enough to conceal the fact that the gem on his ring was still clear?

“Are you an unmated Omega, sweetheart?” She asked with a slight frown.

Regan felt his heart drop to his stomach. No no no. Please don’t let this be a deterrent, he mentally begged. He had already applied to twenty-five shops within a mile’s radius of the apartment complex. The other complex he had in mind was a whole town away.

“Yeah, is that a problem?” Regan asked as he forced himself to keep a straight face. He’d much rather appear to be confused than restless.

His demeanor must have struck a chord with the older wolf, because she reached over to gently pat Regan’s elbow.

Did that mean that she’d overlook his unmated status?

His town couldn’t be the only one that was progressive enough to have unmated Omegas in the workforce, right?

Would his job interviews play out the same way?

“Let me just clarify one thing,” she said as she quickly pulled out her mobile and called someone. “Yes, Mr. Holton, I just wanted to confirm something with you. Our policy on unmated Omega? Yes...still the same?” She let out a sigh and began to rub the bridge of her nose. “Yes, I understand. You have a good day, too.”

When she turned back towards Regan, he already knew that it was going to be bad news. Again? Really?

“I’m sorry, sweetheart. In this area, our clan are sticklers for the rules. Though it’s quite outdated, we have a policy on not allowing any unmated Omega to rent a room with others or alone,” she explained. “Unmated Omegas should be protected by their families, so unless the entire family is moving as well, we can’t give you a room.”

“Wh-what?” Regan countered. “But, times have changed so much since then! I mean, I’m just going to work nearby to fend for myself so that my family has one less mouth to feed, what’s so wrong with that?”

The elderly woman placed a hand on Regan’s shoulder. “You’re a brave and strong boy. If it were only up to me, I’d see no issue with it. But, the Holtons own this complex, along with all the other complexes in this area of town. There’s nothing I can do,” she concluded.

Fuck! Regan mentally cursed. He had been looking into the other complexes as back-up. The young man hadn’t realized that they were all under the same management.

“Right. So, just where is this Holton’s office?” Regan huffed. “This is ridiculous! I’m going to give him a piece of my mind.”

The apartment manager handed Regan a business card. He glared at it as he hopped on a bus to the address shown. Gideon Alexander Holton? Just who did he think he was, keeping up with archaic rules in modern-day society? The young Omega was still fuming as he marched his way over to the building that housed Holton's office. He marched right past the receptionist, who was delayed since she was on the phone with a client, and burst right into the man's office.

"Holton, this is bullshit!" He huffed, so angry and so focused that he didn't even realize the gem on his ring began flashing. Regan waved about the pamphlet of the apartment complex in his hand. "Discriminating against unmated Omega is a thing of the past, you jerk!" As he threw the pamphlet down on the ground, he finally noticed the light show his ring was giving off. "Oh, fuck!"

Regan glanced around, desperately. There were no other wolves in the office. He took a hesitant step towards Gideon and the ring flickered faster. He quickly took three steps back, and the ring flickered slower. "The fuck?" He hissed.

The Alpha wolf frowned, eyes narrowing on the pretty little wolf in front of him. Well, the boy would be attractive if it weren’t for that mouth and attitude. Gideon let out a silent huff of a sigh, not noticing the way Regan’s ring was sparking.

"Would you mind if I call you back, Timothy?" Gideon asked smoothly, his gray eyes hardening to steel as he gave the Omega before him a look that had made his last secretary cry on several occasions. "A child has stomped into my office and is having a tantrum… Yes, that sounds fine. Just send me the details, and I'll have Jackie call you with my response. Goodbye."

The handpiece clicked in the cradle, the sound seeming to echo in the room. Gideon steepled his fingers and stared at the wolf before him, one silvery blond brow arched.

“J-Just who are you calling a child?” Regan hissed, though the words would have come out more solid if he weren’t so busy covering up the ring on his finger. His mind was a whirlwind of thoughts. This couldn’t be happening...it was a nightmare. Was he really awake?

A sharp bite on the inside of his cheek made him realize that he was indeed awake. With a deep frown, the Omega kept his ring cupped and hidden as he took one step forward. The flickering increased. He took a step back, and it slowed down again. He repeated this two more times before making a firm and quick decision.

Regan quickly slipped the ring off his finger and shoved it in his pocket in a desperate attempt to stall the inevitable. “I am not a child, and your rules are ancient as fuck," he insisted.

“You look as though a truancy officer is going to come in at any moment and drag you back to school. Where are your keepers?”

The Alpha shook his head. The boy’s family was likely looking for him, worried sick. The young man should be ashamed of himself for behaving in a way so unbecoming an Omega on top of sneaking away from his protectors. Gideon would humor the little thing. Hopefully, some flustered parent would come bustling in soon to drag the errant Omega back to high school.

“Which ancient rules might these be that have you so out of sorts?” Gideon asked, appearing unruffled.

“I’m a graduated Omega, thank you very much,” Regan growled as he clenched the ring in his pocket tightly. “And just because I’m unmated doesn’t mean I need any fucking keepers. I’m old enough to get a job and live on my own.”

"If you've graduated, you should have had your gifting ceremony." Gideon's frown deepened. "Where is your mate? He or she should be looking after you. If you're unmated, you should be seeking them. Not putting yourself at risk running around the city alone. Does your pack even know where you are, right now?"

“Of course they do,” the Omega revealed. “I’m an Embers. We’re supportive of our Omegas without suffocating them." However, the hand in his pocket shook even as the heat began to radiate from the gem. "As for a mate, well…" Regan took a deep breath. His clan certainly was supportive of Omegas. And, even though many rules changed, the importance of mates had never been downplayed. "I guess I have found one of them, ok?” With a gulp, he took the ring out and held it in his palm, holding it forward for Gideon to see the flickering mess.

"Ah, I see. You were out alone, and your Khonsu stone awoke. It was wise of you to find the nearest Alpha to watch over you while it led you to your mate.” Gideon was surprised at the flash of disappointment at the thought of this uncouth young man running to some unknown wolf. He shook it off. Gideon was clearly feeling some mating urges of his own. “You must have been very frightened to be away from your protectors when it happened.” Gideon stood, keeping his face neutral though he was angry that any pack would allow an unmated Omega out wandering the streets alone. Anything could have happened to the poor thing. No wonder the Omega had been hurling nonsense at him. He was probably stressed out of his mind. “We can call your pack to come watch over you as you look for your mate. I’ll stay with you and keep you safe until they arrive. I’m sure this is all overwhelming for you.”

Regan shook his head and took a step back as he stared in shock at the older man. “Are you freaking nuts?” He responded, already regretting having to go so far. His soon-to-be mate was already rubbing him all kinds of wrong. “You even listening to the words that are coming out of my mouth?” He took another step back purposely. “Here, lemme spell it out for you. Keep your eye on the ring." The Omega held the ring out so its flickering could be visible. He then took two steps forward, and it began to flicker faster. He took another two steps forward, and it began to flutter like the wings of a hummingbird. "You're the only flippin’ wolf in the room.”

Gideon was silent for a long, tense moment. When he moved, it was slow and purposeful, his steps measured as he stepped away from his desk and approached the Omega before him. The stone went wild, its light flickering madly, becoming more intense as Gideon drew close. He stopped inches from Regan, looking down at the Omega with a touch of wonder in his silvery eyes.

“Touch me,” Gideon told him.

A subconscious shiver rolled down Regan’s body at the sound of the Alpha’s tone of voice. He slipped the ring back onto his finger and covered it with his other hand as he defiantly raised his chin and looked Gideon in the eye. The silvery blond-haired man had grey eyes like molten metal. “I don’t know,” Regan replied, despite how strongly he was drawn to the Alpha. He forced down the feelings that urged him to plaster himself all over the other man. “Are you going to allow me to rent the apartment?”

"No," Gideon said firmly. What kind of upbringing had this Omega had that he thought Gideon wouldn't see to the housing and care of his mate? It sent a rush of protective instincts through him. The Alpha kept his voice as gentle as he could. "You wouldn't need such a thing. I have a home, much better than any apartment. You'll live there with me."

Regan was torn. On the one hand, it was an Omega’s duty to live side by side with his or her mates. Living with Gideon would also bring a sense of relief to his family. “Then, what about a job? Can I still work?” He questioned the taller man.

Sadness filled Gideon. What kind of a life had his mate lived that even an Omega had been forced to find employment outside the home? Was their pack destitute? Gideon would investigate the situation at his earliest opportunity. For now, he had to see to his mate’s well-being.

“You never need to worry about that. You’ll want for nothing.”

“That’s not the point,” Regan huffed, raising and dropping his arms in impatient frustration. “Don’t you know the meaning of the word compromise? I’ll be living with you, so can’t I help you pay rent or something?”

Gideon looked horrified.

“Your regular activities that are part of your drives and needs as an Omega are more than enough of a contribution,” the Alpha said soothingly.

Regan's lips formed a thin line. "You know what? Whatever, we'll figure that part out later," he grumbled as he placed the hand with the ring against Gideon's chest, allowing it to solidify to the Alpha's color. He let out a soft snort as he glanced at the hue. As grey as Holton's eyes, huh? Then, he realized something awful. His amber eyes widened as he lifted the ring up to inspect it. The whole stone was damn near solid! When he squinted, he was able to see only a 0.5 mm ring of clear on the edge of the ring, but otherwise, the grey hue had taken over.

"Fuck! Does this mean you’re my only mate?!”

:::

a/n: I posted drawings of the FTM in the main page for Forget the Moon. ( found here...just scroll all the way down: https://gayauthors.org/story/thirdly/forget-the-moon/ ) And please let me know what you think of Regan overall. He's made Robin laugh quite a few times.

Copyright © 2019 Thirdly, HinderToyBL, Rambling Robin; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 8
  • Haha 5
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

6 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

Happy birthday to me

First comment to me.

Gideon's a giant dick

Happy birthday to me!

LMAO! A very happy birthday to you. 

Link to comment

Talk about miscommunication :facepalm: I hope Regan makes Gideon's life Hell until the idiot improves his attitude. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Timothy M. said:

Talk about miscommunication :facepalm: I hope Regan makes Gideon's life Hell until the idiot improves his attitude. 

Yes, they have quite a ways to go. It brings much amusement to us.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I'm not sure Gideon's traditional views are going to last that long with Regan around.   And a good thing too.  :thumbdown:

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I hope Gideon changes his views. It wouldn't be fair (or something I would like to read) if Regan just moved from family to being a brood mare for a chauvinistic wolfpig 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Brokenbind said:

I'm not sure Gideon's traditional views are going to last that long with Regan around.   And a good thing too.  :thumbdown:

They'll find their middle ground...? Eventually...?

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Starrynight22 said:

I hope Gideon changes his views. It wouldn't be fair (or something I would like to read) if Regan just moved from family to being a brood mare for a chauvinistic wolfpig 

They'll find an understanding...? Eventually...? 

Link to comment

Am I the only one who doesn't think Gideon is bad? I mean, he's merely acting as all the other wolves, in line with their tradition. Regan is not wrong for wanting to have independence, but Gideon is simply not used to Omegas being like that, so it took him by surprise. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing them again!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 8/11/2019 at 5:28 AM, ObicanDecko said:

Am I the only one who doesn't think Gideon is bad? I mean, he's merely acting as all the other wolves, in line with their tradition. Regan is not wrong for wanting to have independence, but Gideon is simply not used to Omegas being like that, so it took him by surprise. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing them again!

He's slowly figuring out just how different Regan is from other Omegas. He's an "Omega in the age of the Legend of Eli" LMAO.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..