Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Love Is Everything - 1. Chapter 1

Fluffy white snow fell from the grey clouds that cluttered the mid-December day's sky and covered the small New England town. The excitement and anticipation of Christmas Day were infectious. People smiled as they offered wishes for happy and prosperous holidays when they passed each other. There were festive wreaths, Santa Claus, multi-colored lights, and reindeer decorating streets, restaurants, bars, offices, homes, and schools.

"Babe, I can't find my burgundy turtle neck shirt," twenty-eight-year-old Keith Lawson hollered.

The young mystery/suspense author was going to stay overnight in Boston because he had an interview for a local morning show the next day. Even though the city was only an hour from where they lived, he didn't want to feel crunched for time or get stuck in traffic.

"You've already packed it, baby boy," twenty-nine-year-old James Covington responded from the ensuite bathroom.

The raven-haired, bare-chested Italian entered the room and lovingly embraced his mate. He loved the contrast of his lightly tanned skin tone against Keith's paler color, and at five-foot-ten, he was a couple of inches taller than the red-haired Irish boy in his arms.

Tyler Morgan Lawson-Covington, the couple's ten-year-old adopted son, bounded through the open bedroom door. Tyler was actually Keith's biological nephew. When Keith's brother and sister-in-law were convicted of fraud a year ago, they gave full and permanent custody of Tyler to both Keith and James. It took a few months for the youngster to fully understand the parental change, and a few months after that, he called the two men Dad.

"Dads, when are...," his question was cut short and morphed into boyish giggles when the men slightly jumped apart from surprise. "C'mon guys, get a room," the blonde said after the giggles subsided.

James and Keith glanced at one another, then turned their heads and looked at the innocently smiling boy standing before them.

"He gets that from you, Keith," James said with a smirk.

"No freakin' way, babe, that's all you," Keith shot back just before he blew a raspberry at his lover.

Tyler's young body shook with laughter as he watched his dads playfully bicker back and forth. "Umm, hello. Can we return focus to the most adorably cute boy in the room?"

The boy squeaked and bolted for the door but wasn't fast enough to evade being captured by his red-haired dad. He was grabbed around the waist, thrown over the older man's broad shoulder, and finally pinned down on the bed. Boisterous laughter echoed throughout the room as Keith and James tickled their boy into hysterics. "I love you, Dads," Tyler said when he regained the ability to speak. A bright smile crossed his face when he found himself in the middle of his dad's bear hug and was kissed on both cheeks.

"We love ya too, Ty," the men responded in unison.

"Now, what'd ya come in here for, Squirt?" Keith asked as he pulled the khaki-clad kid into his lap and wrapped his arms around him. Tears welled in the man's silvery blue eyes as he stared between the two people he loved more than anything.

"If I keep drinking my milk, I won't be a squirt for long, Pop," Tyler retorted just before the giggle fest started because James tickled his Spider-Man ankle sock-clad feet. "Daaaddddies, not the feeeet," he squealed as his legs kicked and body squirmed.

James and Keith smiled and shared a brief kiss when the boy leaned his head up and kissed both their cheeks. They had tears in their eyes as they thought about how much Tyler meant to them.

"I know I had a reason to come in here," Tyler said. "Oh, yeah, now I remember. When are Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joey gonna be here? I'm excited and nervous about meeting them for the first time."

James lovingly kissed Tyler's forehead. "What are ya nervous about, baby boy?"

"What if they don't like me?" Tyler asked as he shifted into James' lap, cuddled hard against him, and sniffled a little as tears welled in his hypnotizing hazel-colored eyes.

"Ty, they're gonna love you. You've already talked to them on the phone. When they see you, and you wrap them around your little finger, as you've done with us, they're never gonna wanna leave," Keith stated as he smoothed his son's hair.

"Daddy Keith's right, kiddo. Your Uncle Joey's not gonna let ya out of his sight." James chuckled and wrapped his arms around Tyler.

"Okay, I'll trust you two," Tyler said. He smiled, kissed his dads, and ran off to watch cartoons.

"Yo, blondie, you never got the answer to your question," Keith said with a grin.

Tyler's eyes sparkled with mischief as he matched his dad's grin and said, "Don't need it no more." He knew the response would drive the two men nuts.

"Anymore, you don't need the answer anymore," James said as he tried not to laugh at the boy's antics.

Boyish giggles filled the room and hallway as Tyler blew a raspberry at the men before skipping off to his room. James and Keith glanced at each other and then burst into amused laughter. After composing themselves, the two went back to their respective activities.

“Remind me why we wanted the little brat?" Keith asked as he shook his head and giggled.

"You know you love it. I'm sure you and Travis were the same or worse at his age."

Keith grinned and wagged his eyebrows. "Trav was, however, I was the cute angelic younger brother."

“Puhlease, you're as angelic as Tyler when he woke us up by tickling our feet," James shot back.

Keith wrapped his arms around his soon-to-be-husband and gave him a lengthy, passionate kiss on the lips. "I love you, James Covington."

"I love you too, Keith."

At noon, the three-member family unit shared a loving and emotional goodbye with lots of hugs, kisses, and the promise to watch Keith's segment on the show. Inside his Hyundai Santa Fe, Keith took a deep breath and dried his eyes before backing out of the driveway. He honked the horn and then made his way down Prospect Ave. towards the interstate. Tyler donned his jacket and informed his dad he was meeting his friend at the park. James checked that his son had his phone, then gave the boy a hug and kiss and closed the door of their two-story five-bedroom Victorian home. The brunet walked into the kitchen, fixed himself a cup of coffee, and relaxed on the sofa. He smiled and thought about his brother's arrival that evening and his parents the next day. He finished his coffee, yawned, stretched, and closed his eyes for a nap.

Hey guys, It's been awhile. I hope y'all find something to enjoy with this new story.
Thanks for reading, commenting, and rating. I'm always grateful.
Love y'all
Copyright © 2022 Ajbt2001; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome, another tickle story. Great introduction to the main characters. Looking forward to reading where you go with this one.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
14 hours ago, Blue Fan Lady said:

Yayyyyy...  You are back with a feel good start to the story. Ready for the next chapter - no pressure x

Just started on the next chapter this morning. Should be done within the week or by the beginning of next week. I'm giving myself a more relaxed schedule of writing this time around. That way I can really give thought on what's happening, and who the chapter's focusing on. :) I'm really grateful and excited that you like the start. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

The Story already sounds dreamy , I look forward to all future chapters as well . Have a Great Holloween Tonight too 🧛‍♂️🎃🎶

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Just now, JohnnyC said:

The Story already sounds dreamy , I look forward to all future chapters as well . Have a Great Holloween Tonight too 🧛‍♂️🎃🎶

You too,  thanks @JohnnyC

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Great story Andy. Sorry it's taken me so long to start reading it. Got behind in my reading and busy with other things. Finally caught up! Really liking the start of this story. Curious as to where it will go. Have a feeling the boy is going to be a major part of the story...could be wrong though. Usually am.😏

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This is my first exposure to your writing, and I like it very much.  The interactions and dialogue quickly make the characters and family relationships real.  The character descriptions are neatly woven into the prose, and are clearly envisioned by the reader.  From a technical perspective, the grammar and spelling are excellent.  Yes, current writing tools are very helpful, but there's a lot more to it than that.  Though  a matter of opinion, I like the shorter chapters.  A picture is quickly formed and maintained, waiting for the next chapter.  Good work!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

What a super start to the story.

I'm glad I've held onto it for a few months because now I get fo read the next 10 chapters. 

It's really like the clear descriptions of the men, their family and their home. It allows the imagination to run a bit. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..