Jump to content
    Tiff
  • Author
  • 6,017 Words
  • 2,432 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

No Fairytale World - 13. Chapter 13

Chapter 13

---------------------------------------------


 

“Have a good day at school.”

Pete felt the slightest pressure on his lips and smiled as he groggily snuggled into the comfort of the blankets. “Is it time to wake up?” Pete murmured.

Andy chuckled. Pete felt a gentle caress glide along his cheek. “It’s time for me to go to work. I know you have class today, but I’m not sure when.”

“Later. Soon,” Pete sighed. He was way too comfortable to move or form whole sentences. He groaned. “Lie down with me.” He grabbed at air in a weak attempt to latch onto one of Andy’s limbs.

Andy laughed. “Have to go to work. I’ll see you tonight.” Andy’s voice was soft. “Don’t oversleep, okay?”

“I’m up now,” Pete grumbled kicking off the blankets, feeling the cold air wash over him. He made a face and finally peeled open his eyes. Andy peered down at him in amusement. “I should get ready. I like to be early on the first day because the teacher gives all the information about the course,” Pete mumbled still feeling tired. “I want to sleep forever.”

Andy threw his head back. “No, you don’t. Then you’ll be six feet under and how will we hang out?”

“Oh yeah,” Pete smiled. He forced himself to sit up and pressed his lips against Andy’s. “Go to work. I’ll see you tonight.”

Andy squeezed his hand and then left.

Pete sighed, for once wanting to lounge around the house because he felt so good and relaxed. But the guilt of skipping school would get to him. He shuffled into the shower and prepared to start his day.

It was another day, just like any other, but it was the first day that he had a spring in his step and a smile on his normally sullen face.



 

******



 

“Where did you get this?” Andy asked with awe and curiosity in his voice.

“I’ve been busy with work and Michelle,” Mark said apologetically. “I haven’t had time to update you on everything.”

“Mark, this is insane! How did you get this?” Andy held up the pictures, staring at them with interest and disgust.

“A friend of mine is a PI.”

“I didn’t know that.”

“You don’t know everything,” Mark teased. “Me and this guy go way back and he wanted to help. Then a friend of a friend of a friend,” he paused and looked at Andy, “You get the idea. I managed to get a meeting with Charles through his father-in-law.”

“Wow, you really do know people,” Andy said in astonishment. “Didn’t know you were so popular.”

Mark shrugged. “I tend to network easily.”

“I can’t believe this guy. Charles has so many--” Andy couldn’t finish his words.

“Charles is one sick and twisted man,” Mark agreed. “This is exactly what we need for leverage and to threaten the shit out of him. This will definitely make him back off of Pete for good.”

“You think so?” Andy asked skeptically.

“Definitely.”


“Guys like Charles don’t seem like they give up easily. And they hold grudges,” Andy said uneasily. “What if he tries to hurt Pete for revenge?”

“Yes, but guys like him also get scared easily because they have so much to lose and nothing to gain. He’s not in love with Pete. He’s not going to risk everything he has for him. Charles likes power, dominance, ownership. He married his wife for money. Now that he has money, he feels as if he has free range to do whatever he wants. But I bet she wears the pants. So he goes looking for something on the side, where he can feel strong. It’s a classic bully case.”

Andy shot Mark a look. “You should have been a psych professor.”

“Maybe one day,” Mark replied shrugging.

“Thanks so much, Mark,” Andy said gratefully. “You don’t see how broken Pete is over this.”

“I can imagine,” Mark sympathized. “Pete’s a good kid. I don’t like the idea of Charles taking advantage of him either, whether or not it’s going on in my house.”

“What about those other kids?” Andy asked. “The ones in the pictures.”

“None of them are underage,” Mark admitted. “My PI checked them out. While we could expose Charles and all the others he’s been having sex with, I don’t know if I want to.”

“Why not?” Andy asked in disbelief.

“We don’t know these kids situations. I know, I know,” Mark said holding up his hands. “It sounds terrible, but what if they really rely on Charles’s money and meeting with him. Not to sound crude, but we know he pays well. I just think, well, I just think,” he paused. “We can’t save everyone. Especially if they don’t want to be saved. Right now let’s just focus on Pete, okay?”

Andy took a deep breath as his mind raced. Some of what Mark said actually made sense, but he couldn’t shake the sad weight on his shoulders. Those poor kids had to sell their bodies. Where were their parents?

He forced a smile. “I guess you’re right.”

Mark looked at his friend sympathetically. “Hey, maybe we can help those other kids at some point. Let’s not lose focus though. One person at a time.”

Andy nodded again. He was nervous. Confronting a smug and conniving man like Charles wasn’t something he looked forward to. He was afraid he might lose his temper. “Are we ready to do this?”

“I am if you are.” Mark clutched the precious folder filled with pictures that could destroy Charles and save Pete.

“Good enough.” Andy stood up.

Mark followed suit.



 

******



 


“Sorry, gentlemen. My meeting ran over. I hope you weren’t waiting long,” Charles’s smooth voice drifted over them as he walked towards his desk.


Mark stood up and slowly turned around. “A friend of mine knows your father-in-law,” he said evenly, facing Charles. Their eyes met. Charles froze, confusion in his eyes, before recognition slowly took over.

His eyes darted to Andy. His eyes widened when he realized that Mark and Andy weren’t real clients coming in for a meeting. “You,” he breathed. “I remember you two. You’re roommates with that hustler, Pete.” He studied them. A sneer took over his lips. “What are you doing here? I’ll have you thrown out!”

“Don’t be so hasty,” Mark said calmly. Andy stared at his friend in amazement as the red head took charge. “I laid out some interesting ‘photography’ on your desk. Take a look. It will only take a few minutes.”

“I am not going to look at anything. You two are wasting my time. You’re not supposed to be in here-” His voice trailed off when Andy and Mark both held up a blown up photo. The color drained from Charles’s face. “What, where, how did you get, I don’t-” he sputtered.

“Oh, cut the shit,” Mark said rolling his eyes. “You don’t make it that difficult, Charles. You’re a blatant pervert. I’m surprised your wife or father-in-law hadn’t already discovered your alternative tastes in sex partners. You don’t need to be a professional PI to catch you in the act. I could have hired my neighbor’s ten year kid to follow you around. But having a ten year old boy follow you around would probably make your day, right?”

“How old are these guys? Some of them look awfully young?” Mark asked, raising his brow as he thumbed through the photos.

“They’re all legal!” Charles spat out. “They want it. I don’t force them into anything. Just like that little bitch of yours.”

“Say one more word about Pete and I’ll fucking kill you,” Andy hissed standing up, his shoulders squaring. “We’ll spread these pictures all over the office, let them circulate. How would you like that?”

Charles studied the both of them, his Adam’s apple bobbing as he swallowed several times, trying to keep a calm expression. “What do you want?” he finally asked, desperation passing through his eyes.

“Everyone has their own tastes, as sick as they may be,” Andy said with a hard expression, glancing at Mark who nodded his head. “We don’t know what the deal is with those other guys you’ve been messing with, but all I care about is Pete. Leave him alone. Don’t contact him ever again.” Andy’s blue eyes were bright with anger, his tone laced with warning.

The unspoken threat hung in the air. Mark grabbed more photos and flipped through them casually as he placed them back inside the folder. He shot Charles a sideways glance. “You want to keep these? As a souvenir?”

Charles licked his lips and looked at Andy.. “Do you have copies of those?”

“Tons,” Mark replied instantly. “You may think you’re someone important and powerful, threatening and taking advantage of young people who are only trying to survive. But you’re nothing without your wife’s precious money and her father’s reputation. I know people, too. One word, one phone call, one mistake on your end, and I’ll have this plastered all over the fucking city.”

“Leave Pete alone. For good,” Andy repeated.

Charles cleared his throat, refusing to break eye contact, holding onto any last remnants of dignity. “Consider it done,” he said in a strangled tone.

“From now on, you don’t know Pete. You won’t even look at him if you pass him on the streets,” Andy started calmly.

“As of now, I don’t know of any Pete.” Charles looked to the door, visibly shaken. He cleared his throat. “If you men will excuse me, I have another meeting.”



 

******



 

“Note to self: drop this class,” Pete muttered to himself as he tried not to notice the professor glancing his way every two seconds during the introductory lecture. The man was undressing Pete with his eyes. At one point he even licked his lips.

The balding man wasn’t very subtle. Pete started to sweat, wondering if other students noticed. His right knee bounced up and down in anticipation, hoping the lecture would be over soon.

When the class was dismissed, Pete grabbed his bag in one hand and his notebook in the other. He bolted toward the door, striding forward with large steps.

“Young man! May I see you for a moment?” The professor called out over the noise.

“Run man, run!” A guy hissed behind Pete. The guy pushed him forcefully out the door. “Save yourself.”

Pete looked at him in confusion. “Um, thanks.”

The guy smiled. “No problem. My brother had the same professor two years ago. A total perv, but he’s an easy grader.”

Pete instantly felt at ease. His shoulders sagged as he relaxed. “Yeah, I’m dropping this class. He freaked me out. I can’t spend two mornings a week with some old dude eating me in his mind.”

The guy laughed, well, cackled actually as he slapped his leg. “That’s funny! You’re a funny dude. I’m Cameron.”

Pete blinked and at first didn’t know what to say. In social situations like these, he completely clammed up. All throughout junior high and high school, he had been closed off. During his previous stints in college he only opened up to Michelle and Angela. Meeting friends on campus was foreign.

Cameron waited expectantly. “Um…”

“Pete. My name is Pete!” he practically yelled.

Cameron’s eyes widened at the volume of Pete’s voice. He took a step back. “Oh, um, well nice to meet you.” His smile was genuine.

“Sorry, I’m still a bit frazzled over the professor,” Pete apologized blushing slightly.

Cameron snickered. “No worries. So you’re dropping that class, huh? Are you short on credits? Looking for another class to fill the spot?”

“No, I have fifteen credits. I’ll still be full-time once I drop this, but I don’t want to fall behind. Registering for another class would be a good idea. Know of any good ones?” Pete asked getting into the swing of the conversation.

“I know of a few good classes. Some of the classes are challenging but the professors are really cool and funny. Come with me to the computer lab and I’ll show you. You got time?” Cameron asked.

Pete envied Cameron’s casual and open nature. Pete was supposed to be as carefree and relaxed as Cameron. He wished he could steal Cameron’s easy-going nature and friendly disposition. A wave of bitterness and anger hit him full force.

“Pete?” Cameron’s voice broke into his thoughts. “You don’t have to if you don’t got time,” Cameron said, misreading Pete’s expression.

“No. I have time. We got out early and I don’t have another class until 2:30.”

Cameron broke into a grin and started walking. “Cool, let’s bounce.” His light blond hair flopped in his eyes as he turned. Laughing, Cameron brushed it away. “Let’s eat too. I’m so fucking hungry. Breakfast is such a difficult concept to grasp and my stomach is growling so bad it aches. In fact, let’s eat before…”

Pete followed a step behind Cameron, smiling as he listened to Cameron complain about how hungry he was. He couldn’t wait to email Jacob about his day.



 

******



 

“You’re in a good mood,” Andy observed.

Pete smiled and Andy’s mouth followed suit without Andy even realizing it. When Pete was happy, it rubbed off on Andy.

“Had a good day?” Andy guessed, holding his arms out, pleased when Pete allowed himself to be engulfed in his hug.

“Very,” was Pete’s muffled reply as he snuggled his face into Andy’s chest. “I met a guy in one of my classes.”

Andy immediately tensed and he froze, not knowing what to say. “A guy?” was the first comment that popped out.

Pete pulled back and laughed at Andy’s expression. “Not like that, silly.”

Andy’s shoulders dropped and he let out a breath and an impish smile. “Oh, yeah. Of course. I knew that.”

Pete smirked. “Oh, yeah. Of course. You knew that,” he mocked. He watched as Andy struggled to keep a neutral expression on his face. Finally Andy cracked.

“Okay! Okay! So I was a little jealous. Just a little,” Andy pinched his fingers together as if to show how little. “It was the phrase you used, ‘I met a guy.’ What was I supposed to think?”

“My bad,” Pete laughed. “Once you hear the whole story, you’ll laugh. But one thing first.” Pete tilted his chin up and kissed Andy, softly, slowly, the tip of his tongue caressing Andy’s lips.

Andy’s fingers dug into Pete’s back as he leaned forward, his mouth opening wider to allow Pete in. Their kiss deepened as they breathed through their noses, their bodies growing hot as they melded together. Andy kept leaning forward, as if trying to get more of Pete.

Panting, Pete nudged Andy’s chest, breathing heavily. Andy rested his forehead against Pete’s and gently kissed Pete’s nose. Pete cursed under his breath.

“What?” Andy murmured, his lips brushing against Pete’s, sucking tenderly.

“I forgot what I was going to tell you,” Pete mumbled, tugging on Andy’s blond strands.

Andy chuckled, his mouth moving to Pete’s neck. “Sorry.”

“Who said it was because of you,” Pete gasped, arching into Andy. “Not everything is about you. Stop being so arrogant.” He groaned as Andy sucked harder behind his ear.

Pete roughly pushed away from Andy. “Oh, fuck it,” he growled. Andy blinked at him in confusion. “I’ll tell you the story later!” Grabbing Andy’s hand, he ran to his room, dragging a laughing Andy behind him.

They jumped onto the bed and bounced around, their mouths meeting again, their hands grabbing at the other’s clothes. They were in a frenzy and nothing else mattered at the moment.



 

******



 

Andy laughed loudly as he blended banana chocolate milkshakes for them to drink.

“It’s not funny! I was really grossed out! I had to sit there and listen to him talk while he stared at me, licking his lips.” Pete shuddered.

“Can’t blame him though. You’re so cute,” Andy cooed mockingly pinching Pete’s cheek. Pete slapped his hand away and Andy laughed, shaking off the sting.

“I dropped the class.”

Andy threw his head back and laughed harder.

“That’s how I met Cameron. He saw the professor drooling over me and calling out to me, so Cameron pushed me out the door, telling me to run.” Pete smiled. “I know it sounds dumb, but I never interacted with people at school, no matter what. Today, talking to another person about classes just seemed so normal. And normalcy always seemed so out of reach for me. It was...a new experience.”

Andy ran his fingers along Pete’s forearm, marveling at the smooth pale skin.

“I was jealous of Cameron.”

“What?” Andy asked in confusion. “Why?”

“Because that’s how I should be. I should be like Cameron. Cameron was laughing and smiling the entire time we were together. He talked about everything, his family, his friends, and he seemed so damned happy and cheerful. I couldn’t help feeling jealous. I wanted to be him. I wanted to be young and carefree. Normal.”

“That should have been me!”

Andy could tell Pete was getting emotional. Pete’s eyes were growing dark with anger, glistening with tears.

“Then I felt so angry, not at Cameron, but at my life. Cameron, the Cameron in me, was stolen from me. I didn’t even have a chance. I could have been just like…” Pete didn’t get a chance to finish his sentence before Andy wrapped him in a tight hug. Pete collapsed in Andy’s grip. He was shaking. “It’s not fair. Why, Andy? Why me? It’s not fair.”

Andy didn’t know what to say, so he rocked Pete in his arms. “Remember that’s a dangerous road, Pete. Traveling down your past or what could have been, it’s dangerous, remember?”

There was silence for a few seconds. Then Andy felt Pete nod into his chest.

“I’m not one to give you advice because I can’t really imagine what it was like growing up in your shoes,” Andy went on gently not wanting to provoke Pete or upset him further. “But just focus on the future and what you can gain, rather than what you lost. Unfortunately whatever you’ve lost, it can never be found. You can’t get it back.” It pained Andy to say those words, but it was the truth.

“I know, I know,” Pete whimpered, his fingers clutching Andy’s shoulders. “It’s just hard sometimes. It’s hard to forget. It’s hard to ignore. It’s hard to get over it.”

“I don’t think you can forget it, ignore it, or get over it, ever,” Andy whispered. “The only thing you can do is redirect your focus. You have friends who care about you. You have your brother. You’re going to a much better school than I did.” It was a lame attempt at lightening the mood.

Pete snorted, but his face was still buried in Andy’s chest.

“You have me,” Andy finished. “You’ll always have me, no matter what happens. I’m going to be here for you. You can trust me.” Sighing, Andy kept one arm wrapped around Pete’s back, while the other caressed Pete’s soft hair.

After a few minutes, Pete seemed to calm down. Or at least, Pete wasn’t so rigid with tension.

Finally Andy had an idea. “Okay, don’t laugh at me Pete,” Andy began.

Pete craned his neck to look up at Andy’s face. He frowned, not understanding.

“I want to cheer you up, but I don’t know how to do that, so my idea might sound really, really stupid. But keep in mind that I have a four year old son; my suggestion usually cheers him up…”

“What is it?” Pete asked curiously.

“Promise not to laugh?”

“I promise,” Pete agreed.

“Want to get ice cream?” Andy asked with a straight face.

Pete stared at him.

“Sundaes, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, sprinkles, and a cherry on top? Jordan loves them,” Andy went on. “Puts a smile on his face every time. So if it worked with Jordan…” he trailed off.

Pete’s lips trembled and before he knew it, he was crowing with laughter, the anger and bitterness dissipating rapidly.

“You promised you wouldn’t laugh!” Andy protested with a smile. “Do you want the sundae or not?”

That only made Pete laugh harder.

“Look, I’m trying to be nice and you’re laughing in my face. I don’t appreciate that,” Andy said pretending to be mad, hands on hips.

Tears formed in Pete’s eyes and he nodded, gasping for air. “Yes. Sundae. Yes.”

“I knew that’d cheer you up. You’re just like Jordan,” Andy said smugly, causing Pete to collapse in another fit of giggles.



 

******



 

“Happy Birthday!” The room shouted.

Pete stood in the middle of Michelle’s living room, looking stunned. “What?” He sounded surprised. “My birthday isn’t for another week.”

Michelle grabbed Pete’s arm and led him to the kitchen. “I know, I know, but this is the perfect weekend for a small party in your honor.” She grinned excitedly.

“But why?” Pete asked in confusion.

“You’ll see. Want to open one of your presents now?” Michelle went on, her auburn curls bouncing around her shoulders.

Pete’s smiled. Michelle’s happiness was infectious. He laughed. “Sure. But you didn’t have to get me anything. Even this party is too much. You know I’m not a fan of birthday celebrations.”

“I know, but you’ll love this present. We all chipped in on this one,” Michelle went on dragging Pete behind her.

“Was it something expensive?” Pete looked at Andy who smiled and shrugged, obviously not going to tell him anything.

Michelle went upstairs, practically running, as best as she could in her high heels. Pete stood beside Andy perplexed.

“What’s going on?” he asked Andy.

“Be patient,” Andy smiled.

“I hate being left out,” Pete complained.

Andy laughed. “Trust me. This is worth it.”

“Asshole,” Pete muttered, but he couldn’t help smiling when Andy’s warm hand landed on the small of his back. Pete studied Andy’s dirty blond hair, recently cut. He let out a sigh and was about to reach up to touch Andy’s hair when he heard a familiar voice that caused him to freeze.

“Pete.”

Pete whirled around and stared at the tall guy in front of him. Pete’s mouth fell open. “What are you doing here?” Then without waiting for an answer, he ran and barreled into the large guy.

Jacob wrapped his arms around Pete and they hugged tightly. “What are you doing here?” Pete asked.

Jacob grinned. “Here to celebrate your birthday. Sorry it’s a bit early, but I have a long weekend for President’s Day. It was easiest to come see you now rather than later.”

Pete looked shocked, but happy. “How did this happen? Who planned all this?” He looked around the room at everyone, studying their faces. Angela shrugged, not knowing anything. But Michelle, Mark, and Andy all had smiles on their faces.

“I happened to call you, but you were out,” Jacob explained slapping Pete on the back. “Andy was home and we started talking. Then he mentioned your birthday and it seemed to go from there.”

“I called Mark and Michelle,” Andy added. “Got their thoughts.”

“Michelle wanted to do a dinner party, but when Andy mentioned your brother and how you were so happy to see him, Michelle thought it would be a great idea to fly him out,” Mark input.

“I then called Jacob and I asked about his school schedule. President’s Day was a long weekend for him and happened to be close to your birthday,” Andy continued with a smile.

“We settled the date. We booked him a flight, and arranged to have him stay with us until your party. Which I moved up a week earlier, as you can tell,” Michelle finished.

“Oh bummer, I didn’t know anything about this master plan,” Angela pouted jokingly.

Michelle laughed. “Sorry sweetie.”

“It’s cool,” Angela chuckled. She eyed Jacob and walked over to him. “Hi, I’m Angela.” She smiled at him.

Pete rolled his eyes. “The flirting whore is back to work,” he muttered to Andy.

Jacob’s grin widened. “Jacob. Nice to meet you. How do you know Pete?”

“We work at Starbucks together. Although I don’t like him very much. He’s a big grump,” Angela said shooting Pete a smile. Pete stuck his tongue out at her.

“Pete never mentioned a brother until recently. Now I know why. He didn’t want to be overshadowed by his much hotter half,” Angela said flipping her hair.

Pete rolled his eyes. Girls! But Jacob ate it up, puffing his chest out.

“He’s only eighteen, Angie,” Pete called out.

“Pete,” Jacob exclaimed.

“I’m nineteen…”

“Twenty,” Pete coughed into his hand.

“Not for another week!” Angela snapped mockingly. “Just call me a cougar.”

“Or cradle robber,” Andy broke in.

Angela wheeled on Andy. He took a step back and held up his hands. “Sorry Angela.”

She lifted her chin and smiled mischievously. “A bit hypocritical calling me a cradle robber,” she cleared her throat and nodded pointedly in Pete’s direction.

Andy immediately blushed. “I, uh,” he stammered. “We’re not, I mean, I haven’t done…”

Jacob snickered. “Good one Angela.”

“Let’s eat,” Michelle called out, clapping her hands. “Then we can have cake and take pictures and you can open your presents.”

“More presents?” Pete asked. “I thought Jacob visiting was my present?”

“That’s from all of us,” Michelle said. “But we got you some little things also.”

“It’s your birthday. Presents are fun!” Angela cheered.

“You guys shouldn’t have,” Pete started.

“We wanted to, Pete. It’s your birthday. Enjoy. Really,” Mark stated sincerely.

Pete smiled shyly. “Okay. Thanks.” He worried he was going to get emotional in front of everyone, especially with them staring at him.

Michelle must have noticed because she started ordering people to eat.

It was a memorable night.

It was great to see Jacob again. Pete was happy that his brother could finally see what his new life was like. Pete blushed when everyone sang ‘Happy Birthday’ to him. It felt nice celebrating his birthday with his friends, but it also felt awkward.

“Make a wish,” Angela reminded as he took a deep breath to blow out the candles.

Pete protested at all the gifts he received. Mark and Michelle got him a laptop because he had been constantly using the campus computers or Andy’s laptop. Angela bought him an iPod. Andy bought him a cell phone.

“So I can reach you whenever I want,” Andy said with a smile. It was enough to make Pete decide that he was going to carry his phone with him wherever he went. “Look, our phones even match,” Andy said excitedly, pulling out a silver blackberry, while Pete’s was red.

“I was allowed an upgrade when my previous plan expired. It was easy adding you to my plan. It was just an extra line. So don’t go thanking me like crazy,” Andy ordered.

“Thanks. I,” Pete’s voice caught. “Just thanks.”

Andy smiled. At the end of the evening when they were gathered on the couch drinking coffee, Pete leaned close to Andy. “I didn’t make a wish,” he whispered.

“Huh?” Andy asked looking at him, their faces close. Pete’s eyes drifted to Andy’s lips briefly, before he resumed eye contact.

“I didn’t have to make a wish, because I already got my wish,” Pete said averting his eyes in embarrassment.

Andy didn’t say anything. He took Pete’s hand in his and kissed Pete’s knuckles gently.

None of the gifts Pete received could amount to the gift of friendship and the new family he had found.



 

******



 

“God, I’m exhausted,” Jacob sighed as he slumped.

“No, don’t stop. We need to see more sights,” Pete argued tugging on Jacob’s arm. “We still need to hit up some museums.”

“How the hell do you keep up this pace on a daily basis? People pushing and shoving on the street. No one apologizes. Taxi cabs nearly running me over. How do you manage?” Jacob asked incredulously. “The train was a battleground. I swear I saw an old lady swinging her purse like a baseball bat.”

“You get used to it,” Pete laughed. “I kinda like it.”

“Someone elbowed me and I think it’s going to leave a bruise.” Jacob made a face.

“Stop being such a baby,” Pete teased. He adjusted Jacob’s ‘I love NY’ shirt. “Ready to walk the Brooklyn Bridge?”

“More walking?” Jacob whined. “You’re killing me, bro.”

“Come on! The view is great!” Pete said.

“Fine, fine,” Jacob huffed. “But next time, you’re visiting me.”

Pete rolled his eyes. He caught sight of Andy and Jordan running toward them and he waved. He smiled when Jordan enthusiastically waved back, skipping beside Andy. Pete could tell that Andy was trying to keep a tight grip on Jordan’s hand.

“You picked a good one, Pete.”

“What?”

“Andy,” Jacob indicated. “I haven’t spent much time with the guy, but I can tell he’s a good one. Very genuine. Thank God he wasn’t a bastard because I’d have to kick his ass.” Jacob flexed for good measure.

“Glad that you have my back,” Pete laughed.

“Hey now, that’s what family is for,” Jacob reminded. The brothers shared a smile. “You’re the brains, I’m the brawn.” He flexed again. “Someone has to protect your skinny ass. Ever heard of a gym?”

“Just because you’re a meathead who benches his own weight doesn’t mean I’m weak. I’m a remarkably good power walker.” Pete lifted his chin defiantly.

Jacob snorted and laughed into his hands. “That’s classic, man. Just classic. Good luck with your power walking. Although it does you good in this city, so whatever works for you.”

“Hi Pete! Hi Jacob!” Jordan nearly yelled in his excitement. His pale cheeks were rosy and he was bouncing on his toes energetically.

“What do you feed him?” Jacob asked Andy. “He never stops moving.”

Andy rubbed Jordan’s head. “I don’t know. He exhausts me.”

“Daddy, I hot,” Jordan whined fanning his face and tugging at his coat.

“Why did you dress him like it was a blizzard?” Pete asked. “He’s overheating.”

“It’s February. It’s cold. I don’t want him to get sick,” Andy said.

“Yeah, but it’s really warm for February. I think it’s supposed to be in the high 50s,” Pete shrugged.

“It feels really hot,” Jacob said fanning himself. He was wearing a long sleeve sweater with his ‘I love NY’ shirt on top. Even Pete and Andy were donning sweat jackets and t-shirts. Only poor Jordan was wearing a hat, a scarf, gloves, and a winter coat.

Andy looked sheepish and crouched down in front of Jordan. He tugged off Jordan’s hat and scarf while Jordan chucked off his gloves. Jordan let out a happy sigh and they all laughed.

“Jordan,” Jacob stated, causing the little boy to look up at him, squinting in the bright sunlight.

“Yeah?” Jordan asked smiling.

“Want to race across the bridge?” Jacob grinned nodding at the bridge.

“Okay!” Jordan cried out clapping his hands. Then he frowned. “But you big.”

Jacob laughed heartily. “I’ll give you a head start.”

Jordan’s eyes lit up and he nodded eagerly.

“Go!”

Jordan took off running as fast as his small legs could take him. Jacob smiled after him and walked in long strides, easily catching up.

Andy tapped Pete’s wrist. “Want to walk with me? Keep me company.”

Pete smiled. “Like you even have to ask. Who else am I going to walk with? You’re all that’s left.”

Andy swatted at him, but Pete ducked. He motioned for Andy to follow him. Jacob and Jordan were already a good distance ahead.

“Did you know Jacob gave me the ‘If you hurt him, I’ll kill you’ speech?”

Pete looked at Andy incredulously. “Are you serious?”

Andy laughed. “Yeah.”

Pete covered his face. “Sorry,” he groaned. “That’s so embarrassing. I didn’t even tell Jacob we were official or anything. Not that we are, or I mean, I’m not pressuring you…”

“Relax Pete,” Andy smiled. “He really cares about you. I could tell. He and I had a good laugh. I like your brother.” Andy took a breath. “As for being official…”

Pete’s eyes snapped to Andy’s profile. He held his breath.

“I’m a little scared to rush into anything,” Andy admitted meeting Pete’s eyes. “I know I’m out, but I still have trouble adjusting to it. I haven’t even told all my friends. I’m not ashamed of myself or you…”

“Andy,” Pete interrupted. “I understand. Really.”

“Let me finish,” Andy bit his lip. “I just want to say this.” He licked his lips. “I really care about you Pete,” he said sincerely. “I’ve never met someone I cared this much about. I do want to be with you, but I don’t know how. I don’t know how it would work out, but I do want to try. I feel so inexperienced and nervous, like I don’t want to mess this up. It seems so fragile. You know?” Andy sounded frustrated.

“You’ve never had a real relationship with a guy. You’ve finally accepted yourself, but that doesn’t make dating any easier. Then there’s me,” Pete looked down at his feet. “I’ve had sex, but not the right way.” Pete looked everywhere except Andy. “I don’t know how I’d react or if I’m ready to go all…”

“I’d never pressure you, Pete,” Andy said taking Pete’s hand firmly in his.

“I know,” Pete said softly. “It’s just that I hate having all my old mental shit holding me back. I wish I could jump into this whole-heartedly and not be so scared,” he whispered. “But I’m scared, Andy. Not of you, but of everything. Of opening myself up. I’m terrified.”

They walked a few feet in silence, contemplating what to say to comfort the other.

“I have an idea,” Andy announced. Pete looked at him curiously. “Let’s take things slow. Really slow. The same pace we’re going at now.”

Pete smiled slowly. “We don’t even have a pace now,” Pete pointed out. “We seem to be figuring things out as we go along.”

“True, but I like it that way. Less pressure,” Andy stated. Pete nodded in agreement. “I just have one thing to add.”

“What?” Pete asked.

“I don’t see anyone else and you don’t see anyone else. We agree to just see each other,” Andy said in one breath. His eyes darted to Pete’s face nervously.

“You want to be exclusive?” Pete asked, a familiar warm feeling spreading through his stomach and chest. It seemed to happen a lot around Andy.

“Yeah,” Andy said blinking. “I just, well, I think we could have something special,” he mumbled. “Not rushing anything, it seems to work for us, taking things slow. But I also don’t want to lose you to someone else because I was too scared to jump into a heated, intense relationship. I want to take my time getting to know you better,” Andy rambled, his face red by this point.

“There is so much to know about you. But I also know you’re in college and you’re young and you might want to date around and have fun. That’s what I did when I was your age. So it may be selfish on my part, but I want to be exclusive. I’ll be yours if you’ll be mine and…”

“Andy, shut up already!” Pete shouted.

Andy looked at him in shock.

“Of course I want to be exclusive. You think I like the idea of you with another guy?” Pete demanded.

Andy broke into a relieved smile. “No.”

“So we agree?” Pete asked holding out his hand with a large smile.

Andy grabbed Pete’s hand and yanked the younger man forward while wrapping his other hand behind Pete’s neck, pulling Pete’s face close to his own.

Their lips met briefly, and while their kiss wasn’t passionate, they didn’t part from one another right away. They enjoyed being close, feeling the other’s body heat. It was a form of freedom.


 



 

Thanks to Frances for editing! And a special thanks to Pete for beta-reading! To the readers who commented in my forum or messaged me, I really appreciated the feedback. Thanks so much.

Copyright © 2011 Tiff; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..