Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,410 Words
  • 4,235 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Alex's Legacy - 1. Chapter 1

I flipped the ‘Closed ‘sign to ‘Open’ with a big grin and unlocked the door. There wasn’t anyone waiting outside. Not that I expected there to be. How many people wait in line for a bookstore to open? Granted, it was a coffee shop too, but still. I checked on the brewing pot of coffee and straightened out the pastries for the millionth time. It was Opening Day and I sat behind the counter eagerly awaiting my first customer. I waited. And waited. And waited.

Two hours later I dumped the remaining half-pot of coffee down the drain. I’d been the one to drink the other half; there hadn’t been a single customer. I was beginning to question the wisdom of my decision to go into the coffee/book business when the door chimed. I took one look at my first customer and ended up pouring water all over the counter instead of into the coffee machine. I swore and grabbed some towels to mop up the mess as my gorgeous customer stood there, watching me amusedly.

“Well, at least I didn’t break the –“ My elbow knocked the coffee pot onto the floor. I looked at the shattered pieces in utter abjection.

My customer looked at me sympathetically. At least, he tried to. I could tell he was trying his hardest not to dissolve into laughter. Of course, now was a perfect time for a steady stream of customers to flow through the doors. So what was my brilliant response? I had a panic attack. What a perfect opening day.

I looked at the line of annoyed customers, the shattered coffee pot, and the amused eyes of my hot first customer, and started shaking and hyperventilating. He immediately looked concerned, grabbed the intact pot next to the coffee machine, and started making another pot of coffee. He put his hand on my shoulder and squeezed.

“Why don’t you sweep up this mess?” he asked gently.

I nodded numbly, and then searched for a broom while he started to take orders from the line of customers. I cleaned up the broken pot while answering his questions about how to run the register and make a cup of espresso. Once the last customer cleared out – there had only been five, although it felt like fifty – he guided me to one of the tables and sat me down. He brought me a glass of cold water.

“Are you ok?”

I glanced up at him and smiled feebly. “Yeah… thanks.” I took a sip of water. “That was a hell of a way to start my opening day.” I put my head in my hands and groaned.

My handsome customer rubbed my back reassuringly. I leaned into his touch. “It’ll be ok. You’re no longer a business virgin,” he smirked. “I’m Alex.” He held out his hand.

“Sam.” I smiled and shook his hand. His hand lingered on mine briefly before he let go.

“You have free coffee for life, now. I can’t thank you enough for saving me. I haven’t had a panic attack in a long time. Apparently the stress finally got to me.”

“I was happy to help. I do need to get to work, though. Are you sure you’re going to be ok?”

I took a deep breath and nodded. “I’ll be fine.”

The door chimes tinged as another customer walked through the door.

“Sammy!” I was almost bowled over by a whirlwind of red hair and cloying perfume. “So how’s the first day going?”

“It would be better if you’d stop mauling me!”

Allison scoffed and walked over to the counter. She drummed her fingers on the display case as she checked out the pastry selection. “So how many customers have you had so far?” She asked as she helped herself to a pastry and cup of coffee.

“Counting you…seven.”

She grimaced. “Well, business should pick up once word gets out. The grand opening is Saturday, right?” I nodded. “I can have Tom print up some fliers and we can put them on cars for you.”

I shook my head. “Oh no! People just get annoyed by those things.”

“How about a coupon, then? A free cup of coffee with book purchase or something like that.”

“That’s a great idea!” I hugged her tightly. “I knew there was a reason I keep you around,” I smirked and kissed her temple.

She shoved me off her. “Flatterer.” She looked at me with a sly smile on her face. “So who was that hottie you were talking to when I came in?”

My face turned bright red. “Just a customer,” I mumbled.

She raised an eyebrow at me.

“Fine. I spilled a pot of water then broke the pot then had a panic attack as a line of customers entered the store and he waited on them so I had time to calm down,” I said rapidly.

“So he was your knight in shining armor, huh?”

I ignored her and waited on another two customers.

“I gotta go, hun, but you will tell me all about him!” Allison gave me a quick hug and kiss on the cheek before bouncing out the door.

I shook my head. I had no idea what to tell her. I didn’t know if I’d even see Alex again; although I really wanted to.

*****

The word had spread about the shop’s opening, because the next day the stream of customers was much steadier. I even had a few college students run a study group.

“I take it today is going much smoother?”

I was thrilled to see Alex again. “So far, so good. I haven’t broken any coffee pots… yet.”

He laughed. “Well, that’s an improvement. I’ll have a regular coffee, lots of cream, two sugars please.”

I made his cup of coffee and poured a cup of black coffee for myself. I motioned to one of the tables near the counter. “Would you like something to eat?”

“Nah. I already had breakfast, thanks.” He looked around the store. “This place is great! I didn’t have a chance to check it out yesterday.”

The bookstore was a converted Victorian house. The bottom floor was renovated to an open floor plan with the book section to the left and the coffee/baked goods counter in the middle. A small dining area filled with round faux mahogany tables and chairs occupied the space in front of the display. To the right, a variety of couches and lounge chairs served as a quiet, comfortable reading area. The section in front of the brick fireplace was sure to be popular during colder months. The far corner served as a small stage for hosting poetry/book readings as well as an occasional singer. The refinished hardwood floors shone and the overall feel was pure Victorian charm. I was absolutely thrilled with the results. The upper floor had been converted into an apartment where I currently lived.

“It was a lot of work, and I am so happy with how it turned out. I’ve always wanted my own business. What kind of work do you do?” I sipped my coffee.

“I’m a physical therapist at County General. I work mainly with stroke patients and people who have had brain injuries.”

“Wow. It must be hard seeing people in that condition.”

“I’m more amazed by the human body’s ability to heal and the progress that some of these individuals make. It’s very rewarding.”

I looked at him and couldn’t stop the smile that spread across my face. My face turned red and I looked down. “You’re a true caregiver, aren’t you?”

He placed his hand gently on my chin and turned my face toward his. He traced my cheek with his thumb. I closed my eyes and leaned into his touch. “I’ve never really thought of myself that way, but I suppose I am.” He removed his hand and sipped his coffee.

It was a long time since I’d felt the touch of another man, and I was relishing every minute I spent with Alex. I could easily see myself falling for him.

He swigged the last of his coffee and stood up as the door chimed. “I need to get to work. Thanks for the coffee.” I stared at him as he walked out the door.

My customer cleared his throat and winked. I turned bright red and went behind the counter to take his order.

Huge thanks to LJH for his editing expertise and to Cole Matthews for his Beta advice. This story is so much better because of both your input. Please review and let me know how you like Sam and Alex's story so far. Thanks for reading! :)
Copyright © 2015 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Terrific chapter, Val! :)

 

I can't wait to read more! Now I'm going to check out your prompt. =)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/05/2014 01:25 AM, Daddydavek said:
A wonderful start! Another story for me to follow!
Yay! Thanks and I'm glad you like it. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/05/2014 10:43 AM, Ron said:
You know I'm in your cheering section. I'm liking it!
Thanks, Ron. I appreciate the support!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/05/2014 02:37 PM, Lisa said:
Terrific chapter, Val! :)

 

I can't wait to read more! Now I'm going to check out your prompt. =)

Thanks :) I'm so glad you're liking it so far. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/06/2014 08:35 AM, Slytherin said:
Yep, I like this story. Keep on Writing, Valkyrie and remember, I am your biggest fan ! :hug:

black-and-white-cat-smiley-emoticon.gif

Awwww.....thanks :blushing: I'll keep on writing as long as people keep on reading. lol ;)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I loved the start, very steamy in the shower. As a victim of panic attacks (in the past), I know what a relief it would have been for someone like Alex to turn up. We all need our knight in shining armour to come along. I happen to meet mine 10 years ago when I was drunk at a club - Not quite as romantic!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/06/2014 08:59 AM, WestcliffWriter said:
I loved the start, very steamy in the shower. As a victim of panic attacks (in the past), I know what a relief it would have been for someone like Alex to turn up. We all need our knight in shining armour to come along. I happen to meet mine 10 years ago when I was drunk at a club - Not quite as romantic!
I suffer from anxiety myself, so I empathize greatly with Sam. You are both very lucky to have found your knights in shining armor. ;) Thanks for reading and reviewing. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/16/2014 06:56 AM, joann414 said:
Now I remember why I wasn't reading:P This is looking good tho. Will definitely continue to read. :)
I'm glad you will continue to read it... you have my curiosity piqued, though. :P
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I want an Alex. No need to say anything I know how this sounds But that's the reason we're all gay. Is cos we need a man to love us.

Can't wait ti see what happens...

Ben H

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/10/2014 01:05 AM, Ben Highlander said:
I want an Alex. No need to say anything I know how this sounds But that's the reason we're all gay. Is cos we need a man to love us.

Can't wait ti see what happens...

Ben H

I want an Alex, too. ;) Thanks for the review. I'm glad you like the story so far!
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I felt so bad for Sam when his opening started as a complete disaster. He's lucky Alex showed up!!! I liked this chapter as it gave us a bit of insight into each of the characters.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/12/2015 04:11 AM, Renee Stevens said:

I felt so bad for Sam when his opening started as a complete disaster. He's lucky Alex showed up!!! I liked this chapter as it gave us a bit of insight into each of the characters.

Poor Sam, but at least he had a great knight in shining armor! lol Thanks for the review. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I have your number now: incurable romantic. And good at it, too. I just had to stop back by to read one more chapter before bed. More tomorrow.
If I sleep with a smile on my face tonight, it was you that helped to put it there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/09/2016 01:31 PM, Geron Kees said:

I have your number now: incurable romantic. And good at it, too. I just had to stop back by to read one more chapter before bed. More tomorrow.

If I sleep with a smile on my face tonight, it was you that helped to put it there.

Yes...guilty as charged! lol Thanks for such a great review. You made my night. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

What a romantic start to your story Valkyrie!  Alex is definitely a caregiver.  I have enjoy your stories, and am glad you recommended this one to me.  Thanks!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, raven1 said:

What a romantic start to your story Valkyrie!  Alex is definitely a caregiver.  I have enjoy your stories, and am glad you recommended this one to me.  Thanks!

Thanks!  I'm glad you decided to read it :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..