Jump to content
    vlista20
  • Author
  • 3,694 Words
  • 5,920 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shane - 11. Chapter 11

Chapter 11

By Monday morning he thought it best to at least pretend to go to school to try and get away from the woman’s, whose name he still did not know, wrath. He hadn’t planned on hanging around the house anyways. His father had belted him again on Sunday and once he was let up from the bed he’d punched him every chance he got. The beatings had definitely returned and with one hell of a vengeance. His body burned and seared with each step he took bringing him closer to town where he planned on spending the day up until 2:30 on the beach then go to the library where he still wanted to look up the word insolent and check out a book for his upcoming long days on the beach.

Don was parked in the post office driveway just hidden behind a gray pickup. He was waiting for Shane hoping he’d come by so they could have a talk. He’d called in sick to work and was hiding from any of the two school board members that may be out on the town.

He saw Shane’s fathers truck go by and Brian sitting near the window on his side. Shane was not in it and he did not find that at all surprising. Shane walked into view a few minutes later and Don’s heart quivered thinking how awful it must be for him to be walking and have to see his father driving the other kid to school.

He honked the horn when Shane was just in front of the car and immediately regretted it seeing Shane jump nearly a foot into the air. He wondered why he was not with Sam as he’d seen the two of them walk into school together for the past month. Shane looked over at him and he waved him over then pointed over to the passenger side door so Shane would get in.

Shane’s eyes narrowed and Don prayed he wouldn’t have to get out and chase him down. He watched as Shane looked from the car to further down the road. He stayed still then turned his head to his father’s truck as it roared back past no wave, smile or even a glance from it’s driver to Shane.

Shane turned and watched it til Don suspected it was out of sight then walked over to the passenger side door and got in. “I ain’t going back to school sir. I’ve had it.”

Don nodded. “I wasn’t going to make you go today anyhow. I’m playing hooky and I wanted you to join me.”

“What the heck is hooky?” Shane asked looking over at him a slightly amused look on his face.

“Skip school.”

Shane let out a small laugh. “I thought it was a cute name for a hooker or something and I certainly didn’t want to do that.”

Glad Shane was in a better mood then on Friday Don laughed. “So where do you want to go.”

“Anywhere but here.” Shane said without a trace of hesitation in his voice which surprised Don as he was usually so hesitant and timid in anything he said. They drove out of town keeping the ocean to their left. “So I see you and Sam MCneil together a lot these days. Are you two a couple now?”

“A couple of what?” Shane asked then chuckled at his own joke wondering a little why he was in such a good mood that day.

Wondering way more then a little Don looked over at him in surprise wishing it were just a good mood but he got an eerie feeling that Shane had given up and was only feeling blissful cause he was not caring about anything right then.

Shane shook his head his face still alight with a grin. “We are a couple. Have been for about a month. He’s real great he doesn’t hit me like....” He stopped short his grin turning to a grimace of fear.

“Like Derek?” Don asked gripping the wheel tighter.

Shane rubbed the back of his neck then dropped his hand back into his lap his neck still hurting to much to really be touched. “Well he hit me sometimes. When I pissed him off. It was no big deal really. It’s just nice that Sam doesn’t do it.”

“You shouldn’t ever be hit Shane, not by anyone. No matter what the reason.”

“Yeah well no one’s perfect.” he shrugged half heartedly and turned to look out the window at the trees that were rapidly filling up with leaves. Down along the other side of the ditch he could see several flowers blooming as well. “You know I like spring. Not as good as fall but spring is nice. It smells good, it’s the perfect temperature. Just I know summer is on the way and I hate summer. Too damn hot.”

Frustrated he was changing the subject Don just let it be for the time being. Shane chatted nonstop about anything unsubstantial most of the day. Frustrated as hell by three o’clock as they headed back towards town Don stopped the car in a parking lot to a deserted and sandy beach. “Let’s go for a walk.”

Shane nodded and eagerly opened the door as soon as they were on the sand he sat down and took off his shoes. “What are you doing?” Don asked amused.

“You can’t walk on a beach like this with shoes. It’s just.. Well... it’s against the rules of nature.” Once his socks were off Don noticed a very bruised foot.

“What happened to your foot?”

“I think I sprained it or something.” Shane touched at the bruise creating a temporary white spot after pulling his finger away.

“How’d you do that?”

Shane looked up at him as he stood up. “You been to my house right?”

Don nodded.

“So you’ve seen the shitty stairs that go in?”

He nodded again.

“Well just put two and two together.” Shane was not sure if a fall from the stairs would create such a bruise or even if getting your foot wrenched in one of the holes would so he figured it best just to kind of leave it to Mr. Mason’s imagination. “You gonna take yours off?” he asked looking down to Don’s feet.

“Well if you are gonna make me.”

“It won’t be me that punishes you, it will be mother nature. Don’t expect me to save you from sudden typhoon or something.”

Don grinned and kicked off his shoes then pulled off his socks. They walked on the beach for an hour and Don was even more frustrated on his return. Every time he had broached the subject of Shane’s home life Shane looked out at the ocean and made some off handed statement about the pretty clouds or something.

He dropped him off at Sam’s house stopping him from getting out of the car right away he put his hand on Shane’s thigh. “Look at me Shane.”

Shane slowly turned his head and Don noted a distinct look of fear. “You have options. Don’t give up on life. Sometimes when you least expect it things can really turn around.”

The look of fear was replaced with one of disbelief. Things had turned around. Only for the worse. “I’ll keep that in mind.” he said bitterly as he turned back and latched onto the door handle.

“You gonna come to school tomorrow.”

“No,” Shane snapped then hurried out of the car before Don could say anything further.

April turned into May and the days got hotter and Shane’s carefree mood left as quickly as it had come. He snapped at everyone including Matt and Sam who were both real concerned about him.

His days at home were growing much worse and his father’s beatings had rendered him unconscious more then once in the past month. He’d come home late every night just to spite Medusa whose real name he still did not know and whether his father was in bed or not he’d always get up to dole out a punishment each one seemingly growing progressively worse.

After a month of this Shane’s body couldn’t hack it anymore and he started showing back up at the house at three sharp. Brian had proven his worth by keeping his mouth shut about Shane not going to school and they had actually forged somewhat of a friendship with Brian spending a lot of late nights nursing Shane’s wounds and telling him how stupid he was in a way that was kind in hopes of getting Shane to save himself from his father’s wrath a wrath like none Brian had ever seen before.

Shane started meeting Brian at the post office when his father was not home to pick him up from school and they walked home together.

“You look like hell Shane. When was the last time you ate?” Brian had been sneaking him food but his mother had caught onto it and Brian had received a hiding himself about two weeks earlier for the major infraction. It became nearly impossible to sneak food after that as both his mother and Roger were on full alert to his attempts. They had even started keeping an inventory of the food in the house to be sure they’d know when something came up missing. Shane’s face was thinner then ever and his eyes were pale almost opalescent in color other then their usual deep dark brown. His hair was greasy and stood up in every direction and was well past the length Shane liked.

He reeked and he knew it. Not from his actual body as he’d taken to swimming in the bay but his clothes had not been laundered in a month something he no longer cared to do.

“Shane?”

Shane moved his face towards Brian even that taking up a lot of energy. “I don’t know.” he said quietly. He had not seen Sam in three days had not even gone looking for him as they’d gotten in a huge fight last time they were together. Shane knew the fight was his fault for his continued rude behavior but he did not care. He thought maybe it would be best if he just backed off he apparently was not a good enough person to retain friends.

They walked into the house and Medusa was waiting with her hands on her hips. “Well Shane. I guess I’ve figured you out. You’re little boyfriend was here earlier. I knew there had to be something real messed up about you.”

Shane rolled his eyes and focused on the wall, he was slapped but still did not look at her. She reached out and snatched Brian over closer to her. “I don’t want you near my son. God knows what you could give him.” She took Brian by the shoulders and yarned him around to face her. “He been messing with you boy?” she shook him as she spoke like she was the most panicked lady to ever walk the earth.

“No ma, honest.” Brian stammered and Shane wondered how he could be so nice to her.

Medusa let go of Brian and turned on Shane. She pointed out her finger into his face and looked at him with disgust. “I don’t want you in this house. When we are awake you are to stay outside. You are not to leave the property you are still my responsibility and I don’t need you out diseasing the rest of the town. You will not be allowed in this house til we turn the lights out. When you come in you may lie on the floor I don’t want you on any of the furniture. If I see you leave this yard you’ll have your father to answer too.”

“I burned your clothes so I’d take care of those ones you have on. They are all you have and all you’ll get. Now get outside.” she slapped him again before Shane retreated to the outdoors.

Over the next few weeks Brian was not even allowed to talk to him. Shane walked home at three, sat on the front step til the wee hours of the morning then went inside and slept on the floor til five am when his father kicked him in the ribs and threw him back outside. On the mornings he was not home she came out with the belt and lashed him across the face with it til he woke up which always only took once.

He didn’t know what was wrong with himself. He didn’t know why he didn’t just take off and find a better place to live. But day after day he sat on the step just praying for something to change. He dreamed the door would fly open and Medusa would be thrown out on her ass and have her fake snake skin suitcase come flying out after her. When the door did fly open though on several occasions it was only his father dragging him into the house for a hiding. Which was no longer done in the bedroom as Medusa swore she didn’t want his diseased body on her sheets. So instead his father had rigged up the restraints to the legs of the couch and chair putting him in the same position on the livingroom floor as he’d been in his father’s bed so many times.

They insisted on Brian watching the punishments saying it would happen to him if he were caught talking to or feeding Shane. After the punishments Shane would be pushed back outside buck naked and his clothes thrown out after him.

He had just gotten redressed one evening and was sitting on the step when a car he recognized immediately as Don’s pulled to the end of the drive. His heart beat wildly in his chest knowing he’d get another hiding just for Don showing up. His brain also went into full protection mode trying desperately to come up with some excuse as to why he’d be sitting on the porch while the rest of the family was inside hooting it up like they always did which Shane was sure only was done on his account just to make him all the more jealous.

Don got out of the car and walked up to him. Shane could not even look at his face his shame had grown to unbearable depths as of late and he hadn’t faced anyone in weeks. “You shouldn’t be here Mr. Mason.” He said quietly though he figured his dad must have already spotted him there.

“What are you doing out here Shane?” Don’s eyes looked up into the windows of the trailer where he heard happy laughter ringing out.

“They are watching a scary movie I came out here cause I got scared.” he rolled his eyes at the very weak excuse but could come up with nothing better. Don turned and sat down by Shane on the step.

“People don’t usually laugh like that at scary movies.”

Shane only shrugged and lowered his head more now that Don was sitting.

“You don’t smell to good.” Don’s heart was breaking as Shane’s whole demeanor was of one who’d totally given up and he looked to be on deaths door already with how thin he was. His cheekbones looked about to break through his stretched out skin and he could almost make out every detail of the bones underneath his face.

“I know.” was Shane’s only quiet response. He’d abandoned his ocean baths he felt grimy all over. He could certainly smell his own stench. It was a last ditch effort to repel Medusa’s groping hands which thus far had yet go work. Deep down he didn’t figure anything would keep her at bay as she already thought he was diseased reminded him every chance she got. Apparently she didn’t care about catching any disease herself she just didn’t want him to pass it on to her precious son.

“I talked to Sam today. He’s real worried about you. Says he’s seen you a couple times in town and you won’t even talk to him. Why are you shutting him out?”

“I don’t want no friends.” And he didn’t want to be talking to Mr. Mason at all right then or maybe ever again.

“Shane if you’d only talk to me I may be able to help you out of this. If you tell me what’s going on maybe I could help you.”

Shane shook his head having no intention of telling anyone what his life had become or ever had been ever again. Don stayed and talked to him for a few more minutes as he stood he patted Shane’s shoulder which Shane quickly jerked away from his touch.

Mere seconds after Don’s car left the park the door to the trailer burst open and he was lurched off the step flat on his face to the ground by his fathers boot covered foot. Before he could get up his father was on him his fists coming down in rapid succession on all points of Shane’s body. When there was nothing left but a sniveling crumpled mass he stood back up.

“That’s it Shane, I’ve given you plenty of chances. You are through here. If I catch you on this property again I will call the police and you can rot in jail for few years. He drew his boot back again and kicked Shane’s face that was coming up off the ground. “If I see you out here in an hour I’ll call the police. I want you gone I never want to see your fucking face again.”

Shane heard him go back up the stairs and the front door slam. His mind raced past his pain as he wondered where in hell he would go. He put his forehead to the ground, placing his hands flat out on the ground on either side of him and raising his elbows up. It was a good five minutes before he was actually able to get up and tears rolled down his cheeks from his pain and more so from his desperation.

He spent his days hanging around the rest area just down the road tourist season was under way and many, many families stopped through the day and had lunch on their way to better places. He’d sit at the same table every day one that was more in the woods and out of the way then the others and wait for these families to eat their meals. After they ate they’d wrap up their trash and throw in the trash cans.

After the rest area emptied of people he’d collect the food remnants out of the trash and shove them in his mouth. There was really very little food to be had but it was enough to keep him going so that became his routine.

He had no idea what day it was but felt a few weeks at least had passed since he’d been kicked out of his house permanently. He spent some nights with Shep in his house and others on a table in the rest area. Everyday he thought of just taking off down the road but every day he continued to stay where he was.

He was at his picnic table sitting in the pouring rain when a car pulled onto the dirt parking area. He watched it thinking it odd someone would stop there on a rainy day but got excited at the same time as he’d not expected any food that day and whoever this was may have some trash to throw away. Travel trash was what he’d come to call it. Meaning mostly empty bags of chips, half eaten hamburgers from Mcdonald’s which was about a half hour down the road, one day he’d found a mostly full milk shake from there and had enjoyed every last drop while feeling lower then scum at getting so excited over it.

He swore under his breath seeing Sam getting out of the car. He turned his head to the woods considering taking off but was too weak and knew he could never run.

Sam walked up to the table and sat opposite him. “How are you Shane?”

Shane looked down at the table and shrugged and picked at a scab on his hand. “Mr. Mason’s been asking where you are. I need to tell him.” Sam had begged Shane at least three times a week that he’d gone out there to visit him to let him tell Mr. Mason as he knew Mr. Mason would help.

Shane shook his head damn tired of rehashing this same issue all the time.

Sam let out a long breath and put his hand on Shane’s which was quickly pulled away. “Why won’t you let anyone help you Shane?” Sam himself had tried to help him. Had brought him clothes, food and water even offered to sneak him into his house but Shane had thrown the food and clothes away and out right refused to get anywhere near his mother’s car.

“Just leave me alone Sam.” he said it as firmly as he could not wanting to say another fucking word about it. Sam talked some more and Shane ignored him til Sam gave up and took off.

It rained for two more days and not one car stopped at the rest area. Shane could feel himself fading and no longer cared. Long after the sun had set he got up off his table and headed for Shep’s house figuring if he were going to die he wanted at least to be with someone that cared for him even if it was a dog.

He collapsed three times on his way there his body too starved and worn out to keep walking. When he finally made it shep greeted him warmly but even Shep did not jump up on him these days he had no idea why and didn’t much care. The fact Shep was still willing to share his house all he needed

Copyright © 2011 vlista20; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Sad 5
  • Angry 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Its like a train wreck. I can't stop reading. But I have to say this is stretching even my imagination. And thsts saying

Something.

Link to comment
On 16.2.2012 at 03:46, Rebelghost85 said:

Jesus verdammter Christus ist wie eine gottverdammte Seifenoper. Absolut unglaublich, aber ich lese es immer noch.

The author is all about violence.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..